Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors $35 at Amazon.

Tsnake617

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I don't know if it's an error or a reprint, but Amazon claims to have 999 available for $35, which beats the hell out of all the other prices I've seen online. It's not in stock yet, but it's worth a shot if you're interested in getting it. Amazon expects to get it in stock in two or three weeks. I checked it yesterday and many sellers were charging $70 and up. http://www.amazon.com/9-Hours-Persons-Doors-Nintendo-DS/dp/B003VR5PPY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
EDIT: Just read about the difference between a visual novel and an adventure game. This is definitely an adventure game. I can't edit the tags for some reason, though.
EDIT 2: It's been requested that I point out that the aksys store has the watch bundle available online for 36.99. http://www.aksysgames.com/games/nineninenine/ It includes a watch designed to look like the bracelets worn in 999. I feel like I should point out that the Amazon version does NOT include the watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
guys, i wouldn't be too worried about this game being hard to find. it almost never happens.

this same exact hysteria went on for The World Ends With You. I snapped it up when I found a used copy for 20 bucks at a BBV, and since then the game *completely* resurfaced.. I've seen it as low as $6 (which is particularly annoying as the game was a huge let down IMO after the hype surrounding it.. its very rare that i abandon a game once i start it, but i just couldn't justify sinking my time into that heap)

anyway, i played a few minutes of the 999 demo and ironically it begins almost exactly like TWEWY (boy and girl in unfamiliar surroundings, placed into a "game" for their lives). The actual gameplay seems good though(dont have time to play the whole demo right now, but will after work). I think I'll end up wanting to get this game, but I'll wait for the inevitable price drops after the hype dries up.

For those who want the watch... Aksys's own online store will be carrying copies of the reprint with the watch included once they receive the reprint in a few weeks.

I was about to bite on this but decided for the heck of it to see what local Gamestops had a copy since I have a decent amount of GS credit...and I really lucked out as one of my relatively close-by GS's had a used copy which I proceeded to snag up as part of the ongoing b2g1 deal. :D Bad for showing developer / publisher support I suppose since they don't see the sale but good for me as a true CAG. :p

It's a good game but a lot of the writing is absolutely terrible. The dialogue between characters is fine and what you would expect from a decent RPG or adventure game, but the narrative text is not. It's full of excessive similes and cliche language to the point of distraction. It breaks immersion when the main character is supposed to be a college student but his narration reads like a sixth grader's discarded assignment. I swear, if I have to read "X looked very much like a Y" one more time...

My other main complaint is that the four "bad endings" really are bad. I don't mind the main character reaching a poor fate, but they were wasted opportunities to add replay value by having plot revelations that could only be obtained on those endings. There was a small amount of playthrough-specific info in some, but I do feel like a couple of my playthroughs were almost entirely wasted. The process by which endings are assigned is poor and renders most of the choices you made meaningless.

There are a lot of missed opportunities with the game structure. It's really interesting the first time (or maybe two) that you play, but once you know where the puppet strings are and that most choices have no impact, it loses a bit of allure. This is definitely the best game of its type, but they still could have done a LOT more with it with almost no increase in development costs.

[quote name='dannyox718']How long does a playthrough take?[/QUOTE]
Depending on your reading speed and puzzle solving skills, I'd say it'll take 4-5 hours to get to your first ending, then 1-2 hours for each additional ending with the true ending taking the most time. 6 endings total.

I guess there is no chance of the game dropping below $20, re-print should go fast with all this talk how great it is.

Thanks, OP. Never heard of this one, might help a bit with my upcoming LOST withdrawal (in it's own tangential, roundabout way).

[quote name='smoger']this same exact hysteria went on for The World Ends With You. I snapped it up when I found a used copy for 20 bucks at a BBV, and since then the game *completely* resurfaced.. I've seen it as low as $6 (which is particularly annoying as the game was a huge let down IMO after the hype surrounding it.. its very rare that i abandon a game once i start it, but i just couldn't justify sinking my time into that heap)[/QUOTE]Glad I'm not the only one who felt this way.

Back on topic, buy this game. Price doesn't matter.

[quote name='Maynard']thought this was an "adult game", nope, just anime or a gangbang.[/QUOTE]

Get out. Apparently people exploding from bombs in their stomachs and extremely articulate descriptions of their insides isn't "manly enough" for you.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']For those who want the watch... Aksys's own online store will be carrying copies of the reprint with the watch included once they receive the reprint in a few weeks.[/QUOTE]

Will the game + watch bundle be the same price as Amazon?

[quote name='Maynard']thought this was an "adult game", nope, just anime or a gangbang.[/QUOTE]

Apologize to Funyarinpa!

[quote name='rcx4']Will the game + watch bundle be the same price as Amazon?[/QUOTE]

Probably not. The watch is pretty much a Aksys store exclusive. (It wasn't available anywhere else during the original print)

Ordered from Newegg today for the same price as Amazon (with no tax), and it's already shipped. Looking forward to playing this :)

[quote name='Z-Saber']Glad I'm not the only one who felt this way.

Back on topic, buy this game. Price doesn't matter.[/QUOTE]

I felt that way as well. The main character was so whiny and emo. I mean damn.

On topic, I want watch.

I picked this up at Amazon 3 weeks ago as a part of their Buy 1 Get 1 50% off sale, and gave it to my daughter for Christmas. She's played through it once so far, and seemed to enjoy it.

I decided to order it yesterday, and it's already been shipped...

I saw it at Gamestop today and almost bought it planning to cancel my amazon order, but the line was too long. Looking forward to playing it.

In the gaming biz this does not count as a reprint.

Initial quantities are shipped based on pre-orders and retailer interest, and for games that prove popular, the initial quantities can sell out quickly. After the initial sell thru within the first few weeks of release, retailers either do, or do not (there is no try) order additional copies. These additional copies often require an additional print run. Every game publisher wishes and even plans for this additional manufacturing process. I believe (though of this I am not sure) that the additional copies of the game are distributed through the same printing and distribution agreements. This "additional" print run is not considered a reprint. A good example of this was BAM!'s "Way of the Samurai" for the PS2. Supplying additional copies into the retail channel of a game at release is not a reprint --its just the continued manufacture of that title at release.

A reprint happens long (at least a year) after a title is released, and demand for it is still strong. A reprint requires new printing and distribution deals, as the initial deal has expired--this is where companies like Games Quest Direct come into play. They recognize the demand, and they have the funding available for the printing and distribution of the title. Often (not always) there is no discernible difference between print runs of games.

Then there are Nintendo 1st party games which are sometimes just kept continuously in print, as well at Greatest/Platinum Hits which are reprints with new labels as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='n1c0']Probably not. The watch is pretty much a Aksys store exclusive. (It wasn't available anywhere else during the original print)[/QUOTE]
Yes it was, it was a pre order bonus at gamestop.

[quote name='rcx4']Will the game + watch bundle be the same price as Amazon?[/QUOTE]

When they had it on the Aksys site, it was $40 with shipping included. I would expect the price to be the same when they put it back up.

It was a preorder bonus at Gamestop B&M only. Then Aksys also sold it on their site.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']When they had it on the Aksys site, it was $40 with shipping included. I would expect the price to be the same when they put it back up.

It was a preorder bonus at Gamestop B&M only. Then Aksys also sold it on their site.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='n1c0']
Probably not. The watch is pretty much a Aksys store exclusive. (It wasn't available anywhere else during the original print)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info :) I'll be keeping an eye on on Aksys' store for the bundle..

[quote name='PerryD']I picked this up at Amazon 3 weeks ago as a part of their Buy 1 Get 1 50% off sale, and gave it to my daughter for Christmas. She's played through it once so far, and seemed to enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

It was? Darn.. I missed it..

[quote name='Zerok']Yes it was, it was a pre order bonus at gamestop.[/QUOTE]

Through Gamestop is where I got my watch. Did an online order because I did not trust I would get it if I preordered through the brick and mortar store. (Based on past experience)

[quote name='thelonepig']

999 was fun, but once you complete the six endings there is little to no replay value. Getting the true ending is nigh impossible without some type of guide. The game shouldn't take longer than 15 - 20 hours for all the endings.
[/QUOTE]

Isn't this kinda like saying that after you play through Fallout 3, all the DLC, and have done all the side missions, there's no replay value? Aren't the multiple endings themselves that very replay value?

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Isn't this kinda like saying that after you play through Fallout 3, all the DLC, and have done all the side missions, there's no replay value? Aren't the multiple endings themselves that very replay value?[/QUOTE]
After you get all the ending, there's nothing to do though. It's only 15 hours of gameplay before it wears out, which is pretty bad. The story is apparently great, so that is what makes it worth it.

[quote name='sabanoo']Can't it be both?[/QUOTE]
:lol:

[quote name='Tsnake617']After you get all the ending, there's nothing to do though. It's only 15 hours of gameplay before it wears out, which is pretty bad. The story is apparently great, so that is what makes it worth it.[/QUOTE]

15 hours of "gameplay" for it's genre is pretty good. There generally isn't any replay value in games of this type.

It has about as much replay value as a good book. i.e. If you enjoy it well enough, you'll read it again.

[quote name='doodofdoods']15 hours of "gameplay" for it's genre is pretty good. There generally isn't any replay value in games of this type.[/QUOTE]
I know it's good for it's genre, but it's not that great for a game in general. Still, it's extremely good while it lasts, so I love adventure games.

I just finished up Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations, so this is next on my list to buy (unless someone's finished with their 999 and wants to trade :) ).

[quote name='Tsnake617']I know it's good for it's genre, but it's not that great for a game in general. Still, it's extremely good while it lasts, so I love adventure games.[/QUOTE]

Not every game has to be 60 hours of dungeon crawling.

Darn, guess I should have waited. Recently found out about this game and no store near me had it in stock, so I got it off Amazon which said "2-3 weeks" and instead I got the game at my doorstep in 4-5 days!

Now I found out about the watch and I wish I had waited. Boo! :(
Can't do an Amazon refund without a 15% restocking fee I think.

[quote name='RedRingOfDeath']You can Google Images search for an image of the watch. -> http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&...=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1118&bih=471

I guess it looks ok. Looks kinda cheaply made though, but what can you expect when it comes with a sub-$30 game. Some may be into it... I would probably accidentally break the thing at work though :p[/QUOTE]

Surprisingly it is not cheaply made. The watch is heavy as hell though and is a nightmare to put on.

[quote name='shenanigans1337']Surprisingly it is not cheaply made. The watch is heavy as hell though and is a nightmare to put on.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I would say the construction of the watch itself is pretty cheap. The watch face itself is super heavy, but that's not necessarily a sign that it's well made. In fact, it's more likely a sign that instead of using lightweight high cost materials, they used very cheap, heavier metals.

I absolutely love this game! I went through it about 8 times in total to get all the endings (there are 6). The gameplay isn't too terribly difficult, but there are definitely some puzzles that will make you think. I feel that the crux of the game is in the many decisions you make during each play-through. The majority of those decisions 'will' affect subsequent decisions, and ultimately, your ending. Of the visual novel-style, this game is a pinnacle. The story-telling is effective, the characters are actually likable, and the plot will constantly leave the player in suspense. In a nutshell, 999 is like if the SAW movies picked up TRACE MEMORY on the block, and went over to HOTEL DUSK for a surprise threesome: exciting, twisted, yet leaving you wanting more..

Of course, if you're not into reading, then this game is probably not for you... ;)

What a great game - just got my first ending and eager to go through again.

People who bitch about game length can go jump off a building. You dumb asses ruin things for everyone.

I'll take a 5 hour game I can't put down over a 50 hour repetitive JRPG snoozer anyday.

Funny thing is all of these people that whine about "only 10 hours whaaahh" probably rarely ever finish any of the games in their backlog anyway. GTFO.

[quote name='jer7583']What a great game - just got my first ending and eager to go through again.

People who bitch about game length can go jump off a building. You dumb asses ruin things for everyone.

I'll take a 5 hour game I can't put down over a 50 hour repetitive JRPG snoozer anyday.

Funny thing is all of these people that whine about "only 10 hours whaaahh" probably rarely ever finish any of the games in their backlog anyway. GTFO.[/QUOTE]

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

[quote name='jer7583']People who bitch about game length can go jump off a building. You dumb asses ruin things for everyone.[/quote]
Game pirates? Bobby Kotick? Online cheaters? Nope, apparently people who prefer longer games are the ones who "ruin things for everyone." How they ruin anything for anyone is beyond me... but apparently they should all go kill themselves, the bastards.

[quote name='Ilikecoldbeverages']Game pirates? Bobby Kotick? Online cheaters? Nope, apparently people who prefer longer games are the ones who "ruin things for everyone." How they ruin anything for anyone is beyond me... but apparently they should all go kill themselves, the bastards.[/QUOTE]

Those other types of people that you mentioned are also free to jump off a building. ;)

But I agree with Jer that people should stop complaining all the time about game length. They "ruin things for everyone" by making it so developers feel the need to add in stupid time-killing filler into their games. Short games that are good actually have respect for people's time. Not everyone wants to play the same game for 50+ hours. There are plenty of RPGs like that for people who can only afford one game every so often.

999 is the perfect length for what it is.

Agreed. This game is seriously the perfect length. Any longer and it would have dragged on, been filled with needlessly revealing exposition.

I love it. I think that some of the localization is a bit off (or maybe the original writing) with goofy references, but it otherwise weaves a well planned, captivating story with interesting characters. This is a welcome addition to my DS library.

Wow. Since I was on holiday I had not been online much, but came back to see this game gone and going for $55+? - and then I saw this thread!

I actually purchased the game & watch bundle from the Aksys store about a little over a week before Xmas and received it right before I left for holiday. I checked Aksys' online store two days later and saw that the bundle and game had sold out completely. I had been swaying back and forth over whether or not to wait to purchase a copy.. but then I saw the game and watch bundle and it was an impulse buy at that point. Once I received 999 in the mail, I was pleasantly surprised with the substantial quality and weight of the watch itself. I have not, however, even opened the game quite yet but I've read all of the glowing reviews, and I'm excited! :)

I've been playing DQ9 here and there for a while, although I find myself growing bored of all the grinding and formulaic gameplay, and I'm beginning to look for something new, after logging around 40+ hours.

bread's done
Back