Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='Hiei69']I had an uprising in my pants when I saw Kid Icarus Uprising lol. [/QUOTE]

:lol:

[quote name='Rasen']I'm excited about this, but am also horribly disappointed in the form factor. It's sleek, but with edges like that, it's going to be near impossible to put some sort of protective shell around it. And something that glossy DEMANDS a shell.[/QUOTE]

Not worried about that here. They'll be all kinds of cases and armors for the 3DS at launch, I'm sure.

[quote name='Strell']Remaking arguably the best games in their respective series? I think I could survive on happiness alone for the next few days, eschewing food and drink for pure elation.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, I'm with you. My husband was shocked at my level of excitement. I'm so stoked about all this. All the games look wicked and the handheld itself is snazzy as can be. The strong third-party support amazes me. Assassin's Creed on 3DS? :applause:

[quote name='PhaperPlane']SHIT JUST GOT REAL.
http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/109/1098192c.html

DAY ONE. DAY ONE.[/QUOTE]

The int3rw3bz be splodin!

[quote name='budsmoka']E3 was one by a handheld.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

[quote name='cheapgamer132']Kid Icarus Uprising blew me away,It was so unexpected and cool.I think the 3ds is going to be amazing![/QUOTE]

I too was blown away by Kid Icarus. I was not expecting it to look so graphically amazing and rich.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Happiness level- Through the roof.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, I did :bouncy: for about 15 minutes after I first saw the line-up of games for this thing.

Holy shit, Ocarina of time remake just made the 3DS a day one buy.

Not only that but there are alot of good games coming for it too. It actually looks like the system has some horsepower in it.

LOL horsepower, epona :)

No price announced and no killer apps so far. Kid Icarus seems kind of cool, and I'd like Paper Mario with the 3D effect (providing it's not just a remake), but not enough to buy it at launch. This is the first time I've said that about a new Nintendo platform in like 10 years.

[quote name='alongx']no killer apps so far. [/QUOTE]

Kid Icarus, Zelda, Mario Kart, Pilotwings, Star Fox, Paper Mario, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive, Super Street Fighter IV, Bomberman, Professor Layton, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, probably others I'm forgetting...

And you're saying no killer app? I'm not even suggesting all of these are - I'm saying SURELY one of those is appealing. Just going by announcements alone, that's more than the launches of the Wii, DS, PSP, 360, and PS3 combined.

stupid question but are you going to have to wear the stupid 3d glasses while playing this game

it wouldnt shock me if the 3D fad last a few years some major eye problems come out of it.

watching a 3D movie for 2 hours not bad but wearing 3D glasses for 4 to 8 hours a day , you would think would really #$#$# up your eyes

(i even think back in the 80s the 3d fad died cause many people were complaing about major headaches and other problems after watching so much 3D at one time, now the Tech improved over time but still something to think about)

price point 249 easy

and did they really show the system or just videos of What the games look like.... if the system was even planned for this year in japan you would think they would have working units

No, you do not. This is what the Nintendo 3DS is all about, no glasses required to see 3D.

Anywho, I should just watch this stream on some website, since my dad took over the TV with the DVR. :(

[quote name='Strell']Oh slidecage, don't ever change.[/QUOTE]

just sayin there was major hype for the virtual boy system as well :)

wouldnt be a day 1 buy for me until i really seen what titles was going to hit day 1

question i dont think so but want to ask

Was there ever a system that had an RPG game day 1....

i say spring 2011 japan sometime in 2012 here (maybe xmas 2011)

(at least i hope so i have time to get my moneys worth out of the dsi xl im going to be getting :)

OOOO forgot did they ever say it could play the older DS games or will it only play 3DS

[quote name='slidecage']
i say spring 2011 japan sometime in 2012 here (maybe xmas 2011)

(at least i hope so i have time to get my moneys worth out of the dsi xl im going to be getting :)[/QUOTE]

Uhhh, no. Nintendo doesn't unveil the 3DS at E3 2010 to then wait and sell it in 2012. This thing will be out by Christmas. 2010. Bank on it.

You're asking questions we've had answers for since the 3DS was announced back in March/April, slidecage. Or that just got answered this afternoon.

It doesn't need glasses. It is fully backwards compatible. Hopefully comes out this year, but no one knows. Golden Sun DS is coming out. Announced RPGs for the 3DS include Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Uhhh, no. Nintendo doesn't unveil the 3DS at E3 2010 to then wait and sell it in 2012. This thing will be out by Christmas. 2010. Bank on it.[/QUOTE]

i was guessing the date based off this

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2365116,00.asp

During that time, Nintendo gave members of the press a brief demo of the device—roughly 45 seconds. Not a lot of time to try it out, but there were a lot of people aching to get their hands on it for a moment—and the device is far from finished. In fact, the demo was actually playable. It just featured a few animated screens of familiar Nintendo characters like Mario and Donkey Kong.

when is the next show is it the TOKYO GAME SHOW that will take place sept 16 to 19?

maybe more news there (with price and date)

really havent been following the system, so thanks for letting me know all this info

funny thing is they said golden sun was coming out last year as well said the same thing this year it seems :(

[quote name='slidecage']i was guessing the date based off this

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2365116,00.asp

During that time, Nintendo gave members of the press a brief demo of the device—roughly 45 seconds. Not a lot of time to try it out, but there were a lot of people aching to get their hands on it for a moment—and the device is far from finished. In fact, the demo was actually playable. It just featured a few animated screens of familiar Nintendo characters like Mario and Donkey Kong.

when is the next show is it the TOKYO GAME SHOW that will take place sept 16 to 19?

really havent been following the system, so thanks for letting me know all this info

funny thing is they said golden sun was coming out last year as well said the same thing this year it seems :([/QUOTE]

Nintendo months ago said it would be out everywhere by March 2011.

Reggie could have come out during the conference in a diaper, shit himself, and then slyly said ocarina 3d remake while walking off stage and I would still have been happy.

[quote name='slidecage']

[/QUOTE]

It's possible that the 3DS won't be released until early 2011, but I guarantee Nintendo will try as absolutely hard as possible to get it out before Christmas 2010. I'm sure they want every kid around the world to be asking Santa for a shiny new 3DS for Christmas.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. Nintendo will not dissapoint and I doubt this handheld will be a dissapointment.

The 3DS has me super pumped for the rest of the year and I can not wait to see the next AC on the 3DS. Mmmm, new consoles.

[quote name='Strell']Reggie could have come out during the conference in a diaper, shit himself, and then slyly said ocarina 3d remake while walking off stage and I would still have been happy.[/QUOTE]

I giggled. You get that? I giggled.

Now that I think about it...I get the feeling that the big amount of announced titles (obviously keeping possibility open of some of them being canceled) comes around this time because so many of these guys failed to get on the ball with the original DS. Granted, it was a different scenario then, but even now - look at the DS support versus the PSP, especially from companies like Namco and Konami and Capcom.

Nice to see that some of them are itching to get on board this early in the game. Hopefully it all pans out effectively.

Sony I believe is going to lose the next Handheld Gen. Nintendo is going to release their handheld first, while Sony hasn't even hinted or suggested at their next handheld in anyway.

But, it's great to see the 3DS getting some old remakes of games, but in 3D. Will definitely pull retro fanboys in (can we even call the Nintendo 64 retro?).

[quote name='BingoBrown']It's possible that the 3DS won't be released until early 2011, but I guarantee Nintendo will try as absolutely hard as possible to get it out before Christmas 2010. I'm sure they want every kid around the world to be asking Santa for a shiny new 3DS for Christmas.[/QUOTE]

Oh man, if the 3DS was out for Christmas... :drool:

Husband: "Honey, what would you like for Christmas?"

Me: "Every 3DS launch game!"

I believe they are sculptures that was at the demo, they had 7 things I believe. Resident Evil, and some other things. I just read about that on Kotaku.

[quote name='Hiei69']It's just a video to show off the 3D effects.[/QUOTE]

I figured as much, but with all the crazy ass announcements, I had some hope!

[quote name='Strell']Kid Icarus, Zelda, Mario Kart, Pilotwings, Star Fox, Paper Mario, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive, Super Street Fighter IV, Bomberman, Professor Layton, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, probably others I'm forgetting...

And you're saying no killer app? I'm not even suggesting all of these are - I'm saying SURELY one of those is appealing. Just going by announcements alone, that's more than the launches of the Wii, DS, PSP, 360, and PS3 combined.[/QUOTE]

You just reiterated the announced game list. What I see from there is: Interesting, port port port port port. As I (think I) said before, I am somewhat interested in Kid Icarus, but didn't see anything on their announcement list that gets me really excited.

None of the other games you listed seems like a killer app - the kind of game that couldn't be done on any other system and that you have to buy this for. Will there be any games like this? Especially when the 3D feature can be turned off entirely? I doubt it. Then again, I see very limited uses for 3D in gaming or in film, so maybe I'm the minority here.

Lastly, talking about launch line up? Are you kidding me? If 25% of your list shows up at launch, I'd be absolutely shocked.

I'm sure I'll get one eventually, because I love Nintendo and I love new toys, but, as of right now, I see no compelling reason to line up for 3DS on day one. Especially if it's priced as I anticipate, at $180 or above, to take the DSi XL's current pricing place in their portable lineup.

[quote name='Strell']Rumor: Zelda Ocarina of Time remake coming to the 3DS, alongside Star Fox 64 Remake.

Remaking arguably the best games in their respective series? I think I could survive on happiness alone for the next few days, eschewing food and drink for pure elation.[/QUOTE]

Strell, I think I understand where you are coming from!

Hoping this to be out by the holidays and priced much less than $200. (as that would be the same cost as a wii)

My point is that the list pretty much hits every genre one could want for a new hardware launch. Your dismissal had me sitting around trying to figure out what could possibly be missing at this point. And frankly, a lot of those ARE killer apps. Tramping everything off as a rehash just seems can't-ever-be-pleased mentality.

Ok ok ok ok ok. I get it. No Rise of the Robots. And yes, the hole left by that is staggering.

Umm Paper mario I'm pretty sure is not a port, none of the paper mario games had a chain chomp helper character, its a new game.

the 3ds looks great and looks like there will be some solid games going with it. The only thing that I was hoping for that doesn't look like is happening is being able to transfer VC games to it. Still looks pretty good. Will have to wait for price to see if I'll be getting this at launch though.

Current known game list:

Nintendo

Animal Crossing
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Mario Kart
Nintendogs + Cats
Paper Mario
Pilotwings Resort
Star Fox 64 3D
Steel Diver

Activision

DJ Hero 3D

AQ Interactive

Cubic Ninja

Atlus

Etrian Odyssey
Shin Megami Tensei:
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona

Capcom

Resident Evil: Revelations
Super Street Fighter IV 3D

EA

FIFA Soccer
Madden NFL
The Sims 3

Gameloft

Asphalt GT

Harmonix

(Untitled Music Game)

Hudson

Bomberman
Deca Sports
Kororinpa

Konami

(Untitled Baseball Game)
Contra
Frogger
Hideo Kojima's Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D "The Naked Sample"
Pro Evo

Level 5

Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle

Majesco

BloodRayne: the Shroud
A Boy and His Blob
Face Racers: Photo Finish
Lion's Pride: Adventures on the Serengeti
Martha Stewart
WonderWorld Amusement Park

Marvelous

BOKUJYOUMONOGATARI 3D

Namco Bandai

Dragon Ball
Gundam
Pac-Man & Galaga
Ridge Racer
Super Robot Wars

Rocket

Crash City GP
Super Robo

SEGA

Sonic the Hedgehog
Super Monkey Ball

Square Enix

Codename: Chocobo Rcing 3D
Dragon Quest
Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts

Take-Two

Carnival Games

Tecmo Koei

Dead or Alive 3D
Dynasty Warriors
Ninja Gaiden
Samurai Warriors 3D

Tomy

Lovely Lisa 3D
Naruto Shippuden Action

THQ

de Blob 2
Kung Fu Panda: Kaboom of Doom
Marvel Super Hero Squad Infinity Gauntlet
The Penguins of Madagascar
Puss N Boots
Saints Row: Drive By

Ubisoft

Assassin's Creed: Lost Legacy
Battle of Giants: Dinosaur Strike
Driver Renegade
Hollywood 61
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory

Warner Bros.

Batman
LEGO

Some of these placeholder names representing a series from what I understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I will pay any amount up to $250 for this one. Now if they only had MP3 support I would not need my zune, well considering I could listen to music with it closed, idk how the DSi works.

All I need to know is a release date and cost. Nintendo already has my money, I'm just curious and and how much of it they're getting...

Seriously, Nintendo killed at E3. Hands down, no questions asked.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I think I will pay any amount up to $250 for this one. [/QUOTE]

I think they'll try to keep the price under $250. Ideally under $200. I'm hoping for pricedrops on all the DS's, and the 3DS at $199.99. (Well, really, I'm hoping for a 3DS for $149.99, but I don't think we'll get that wish.)

[quote name='Zmonkay']Seriously, Nintendo killed at E3. Hands down, no questions asked.[/QUOTE]

I know. Kinect and Move got nothin' on the 3DS.

I'm going to hope no more than $199. Anything higher and Nintendo knows they are asking for a slow initiation period. Yes, it's going to ride on the DS wave with another new added "wowee" factor, but you have to remember that the original DS didn't get very far until the release of things like Nintendogs and Brain Age. Besides, a handheld eclipsing console pricing is going to have weird ramifications.

In other words, either keep the price at a place people are willing to go for (citation: initial PSP price) or have some software to back yourself up.

Either way though, they've got my money too. I'm going to hope for a holiday release because that absolutely will benefit them in the long run, assuming maybe a dozen 3DS-specific launch titles.

At the risk of being called a pessimist, I find myself not that impressed with the 3DS. The 3D seems to be awfully gimmicky...something that will wow me the first time I see it, but as time goes on loses its novelty. Then of course, there's the risk of third-party people using it just to use it (without it adding anything to the game experience) or using it horrendously. To be really sold on the 3D aspect, I really want to, well, see it first hand, and see a game that uses it that couldn't be done on the DS.

Course, I'll most definitely end up getting it, just not at launch. I'll wait till at least the second revision.

[quote name='Salamando3000']I'll wait till at least the second revision.[/QUOTE]

Damn. A third model is gonna take 2-3 years you know.

[quote name='Strell']Damn. A third model is gonna take 2-3 years you know.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about waiting for a revision since I know it's coming, but the DSLite didn't get here until 19 months after the DS Launched. I don't think I can wait that long to buy a 3DS.

bread's done
Back