Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='Strell']Damn. A third model is gonna take 2-3 years you know.[/QUOTE]

Eh, I have no problem waiting the ~20 months or so for a Nintendo 3DS Lite or whatever they cobble together. That should give them enough time to work out kinks in the hardware and assemble a large enough library of must-own games. And it's not like we don't know a revision's coming...how many non-successors to the GB, GBA, and DS have there been?

That's one of those questions that is up for debate. Do you call the GB Color - which did slightly more than "just" adding color - the same as a revision like the GB Pocket? Does the DSi count as a DS revision when it has more power and adds the ability for DSiware?

Let's be fair and just call them all revisions, eliminating semantics.

I think for the GB there had to be...3? GB Pocket, GB Color, probably something else I'm forgetting (I know there's a GB Light from Japan which sort of counts).

GBA SP - 2 if we count the Micro.

DS - 3 if you count the DSi and DSi XL.

I'm not counting revisions that are "invisible," such as different ways of soldering on various chips (to combat piracy) and/or changes to manufacturing materials (to combat broken hinges). Suffice to say, there's probably MANY more revisions if we count all of that. Kind of like how the PS2 actually has like...17 different recognized revisions if you talk to modchip people.

Still, the chance of there being a 3DS revision is high. If they get the tech better, they might push out an XL version, and it's almost guaranteed they'll make something lighter down the road. Though to be fair, I think they've sort of nailed down aesthetics from the get go this time around, pointing toward less need for a revision.

But eh. More Pilotwings 3D for me.

[quote name='Strell']...but you have to remember that the original DS didn't get very far until the release of things like Nintendogs and Brain Age. Besides, a handheld eclipsing console pricing is going to have weird ramifications.
[/QUOTE]

No kidding. The PSP Go is more than a Wii or 360 and is wonky as can be. I need to go look up some sales numbers on that system for a good laugh.

Back to your point, though, I didn't buy a DS until Nintendogs myself. Cooed myself to death with that one, and it heralded in the age of me becoming a DS fanatic. Seriously, the DS changed everything about gaming to me. The DS was such an approachable system that I tried and enjoyed many game genres I wouldn't normally play. I really feel like the 3DS will expand on this, as it makes games richer and hopefully more enjoyable.

[quote name='Salamando3000']At the risk of being called a pessimist, I find myself not that impressed with the 3DS. The 3D seems to be awfully gimmicky...something that will wow me the first time I see it, but as time goes on loses its novelty.[/QUOTE]

Personally, while I'm excited about the 3D, I'm far more excited about the horsepower behind the device. Sure, the PSP is a powerful little beast, but it's got few games to play, compared to the avalanche on the DS. With third parties getting behind the 3DS and no crappy touch screen minigames on the horizon, I'm feeling very optimistic about Nintendo's next handheld.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Eh, I have no problem waiting the ~20 months or so for a Nintendo 3DS Lite or whatever they cobble together. That should give them enough time to work out kinks in the hardware and assemble a large enough library of must-own games. And it's not like we don't know a revision's coming...how many non-successors to the GB, GBA, and DS have there been?[/QUOTE]

Meh, can't wait that long.

[quote name='budsmoka']I'll gladly pay $50 to trade up when the new one comes out.[/QUOTE]

$100 here. I gotta have this thing.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I love the Kid Icarus trailer. I love how he flies out and says, "Sorry to keep you waiting!"

:bouncy:[/QUOTE]

It officially knocks off Starcraft 2's "Hell, it's about time" trailer in terms of badass fanservice.

I am sold!

Unless they have some really funky new region protection going on, I am going to grab one from Japan asap!

going to grab a red unless there is some limited edition going. please let there be a LE!

[quote name='wasabi5858']I am sold!

Unless they have some really funky new region protection going on, I am going to grab one from Japan asap!

going to grab a red unless there is some limited edition going. please let there be a LE![/QUOTE]

The original DS came out in North America first, so there might not be a need to import.

there's unlikely to be a LE at launch. they save those for later.

[quote name='wasabi5858']Unless they have some really funky new region protection going on, I am going to grab one from Japan asap![/QUOTE]

Well, the DSi has region protection, right? If you try to download DSiWare, does it only give you Japanese options? I would hate to have that sort of thing be the same for 3DS. If it's region-free, I could consider getting one at launch in Japan.

[quote name='wasabi5858']oing to grab a red unless there is some limited edition going. please let there be a LE![/QUOTE]

Nah, they like to save limited editions for later. So you'll buy another one. It does print money, after all.

Anyone else think the system colors are foreshadowing Radiant Ruby and Sparkling Sapphire? I felt that the Special edition Pokemon DSLite foreshadowed HG and SS, since Dialga and Palkia that were etched on it were gold and silver.

Not concern with dsiware's region protection. So it has to be something new. like region locked game or something, then that's fine. I am sure that I will eventually get a US 3DS (if it does release after Japan) and I will grab my dsiware games there.

Yeah... I am probably going to pay up then when they do have a LE... Nintendo is robbing me blind!

I have a Pokemon DSlite, a regular crimson dslite, a black dsi, a regently acquired Ace Attorney LE dsi and a bronze DSi XL so I guess I am going to add atleast 2 3DS... arg!

[quote name='wasabi5858']I have a Pokemon DSlite, a regular crimson dslite, a black dsi, a regently acquired Ace Attorney LE dsi and a bronze DSi XL so I guess I am going to add atleast 2 3DS... arg![/QUOTE]

prints_money.gif

[quote name='62t']I am hoping $199 with 1000 Nintendo points as a bonus[/QUOTE]

If it were priced at $250, would anyone really have a right to complain? I'd still pick one up in a heartbeat. It produces Wii quality graphics in a portable system with 2 screens (one being 3D). Considering the PSP and PSP go both launched at $250...

[quote name='Kendro']If it were priced at $250, would anyone really have a right to complain? I'd still pick one up in a heartbeat. It produces Wii quality graphics in a portable system with 2 screens (one being 3D). Considering the PSP and PSP go both launched at $250...[/QUOTE]

I know I said "day one" but if it's $250, Nintendo can fuck right off.

[quote name='Mad D']Original DS launched at 150, I wouldn't think and hope they wouldn't got over $200.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but with XL at $190, dsi at $170, I think there is a very good chance that the 3ds will be introduced at $200 +

I can't see Nintendo pricing it more than 199, for one they want all aspects of the market to jump in. And they know damn well that alot of parents won't shell out over that 200 dollar number for a "gameboy" so easily.

Anyway, the addition of the analog slide pad makes me very giddy, because knowing nintendo that thing will be made of quality. My analog nub on my psp started going bad and I didn't put much wear into it. Not to mention it's something the DS needed very badly. Glad they put one in.

Also on the 3d part. You can see in that one video a bit of how it looks. It just seems to add depth to the game which looks fucking awesome btw. I can't see it getting old because it just adds so much to the experience. I love that there is no additional stuff to buy and wear to use it also.

I see the 3DS being huge and I can't wait until we get some official specs numbers to see how powerful it really is. You guys see the resident evil screenshots? I wonder if that's ingame.

I'm close to being completely sold on the 3DS. The main thing holding me back is the price potential. Although Nintendo has never gotten too cocky with it's price tag, I wouldn't be shocked to see this go over $200. Plus, what about these 3D titles? If development costs are going to rise with this new technology, what about game prices? I'm just saying that unless Nintendo is going to really impress us as far as prices are concerned, this might get a little rocky.

What's up with the Japanese pics of the orange and purple 3DS shown above? I'm really feeling that orange one.

143098.jpg
143099.jpg

[quote name='Josh5890']Plus, what about these 3D titles? If development costs are going to rise with this new technology, what about game prices? I'm just saying that unless Nintendo is going to really impress us as far as prices are concerned, this might get a little rocky.[/QUOTE]

I was just coming into this thread to talk about this. I too was wondering if the price of the games is going to increase. It really wouldn't surprise me to have a console standard of $39.99 for 3DS games.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3179903
Four 3DS colors were on the show floor: Red, Blue, Orange, Purple. Of course, three colors were featured in the press kit pictures: Red, Blue, Black.

This discrepancy could stress a certain point, that is, don't get too attached to the colors that they're showing right now. There's still quite some time until launch, and Nintendo could easily decide to go with only one or two of these colors, or they may go with an entirely different set of colors.

[quote name='Cao Cao']http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3179903
Four 3DS colors were on the show floor: Red, Blue, Orange, Purple. Of course, three colors were featured in the press kit pictures: Red, Blue, Black.

This discrepancy could stress a certain point, that is, don't get too attached to the colors that they're showing right now. There's still quite some time until launch, and Nintendo could easily decide to go with only one or two of these colors, or they may go with an entirely different set of colors.[/QUOTE]

Torn between orange and teal. :drool:

Thanks for the info. ;)

[quote name='utopianmachine']I was just coming into this thread to talk about this. I too was wondering if the price of the games is going to increase. It really wouldn't surprise me to have a console standard of $39.99 for 3DS games.[/QUOTE]

Thankfully we're CAGs, so we don't pay retail price anyway. :)

Somebody mentioned on 1up that they have the Ninja Turtles colors on display (blue, red, orange , purple) lol.
Finally seeing a good video capture of Metal Gear is awesome.

I'm not sure that game development costs would be that much higher. Aren't most games are already designed in 3D? They just aren't played in actual 3D. I'm sure tweaks would be required, but for the most part the games could be designed as usual. Of course I could be completely wrong, but I wouldn't have thought it would that different from designing games that are played back in psuedo-3D.

[quote name='Josh5890']I'm close to being completely sold on the 3DS. The main thing holding me back is the price potential. Although Nintendo has never gotten too cocky with it's price tag, I wouldn't be shocked to see this go over $200. Plus, what about these 3D titles? If development costs are going to rise with this new technology, what about game prices? I'm just saying that unless Nintendo is going to really impress us as far as prices are concerned, this might get a little rocky.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, between the 3D screen, the cameras, gyroscope, touch screen and etcetera, I'm concerned over the price as well. I'll get it anyway, but I'd like to know how much this is going to set me back.

[quote name='BingoBrown']If anyone had questions about whether the 3DS would be backwards compatible with DS games, Nintendo's E3 3DS website has the answer.

http://e3.nintendo.com/3ds/ Under "Features."[/QUOTE]

So it's a single slot, that is a bit of a bummer. I was hoping they would be separate slots so you could essentially have 2 games at once.

I dunno if they would go over $200. It might be $200, but I don't think they'd try for more than that. The gyroscope and what-not is fairly cheap, the DSi already has 2 cameras, so they're really only adding one and they're pretty cheap too. So the biggest differences from the DSi are the 3D screen and faster processor/more memory. The DSi came out at $170 a year ago and will probably have been out for about 2 years when the 3DS comes out, so it dropping to $150 and the 3DS being $50 more at $200 doesn't seem too unrealistic. Maybe the 3D stuff is just way more expensive than I think though.

I am loving that the units shown in E3 appear to be made tougher than any of the DS models as of yet. The hinge design is better too, I hope they use the same material and hinge design (which I'm sure they will) for the final retail units.

Remember everyone that, what they showed on the E3 floor room was just an alpha build of the 3DS. They may work more on the design of the 3DS, and I am hoping they get this out soon.

Sounds very positive. Also seems to paint the picture that the cost can be mitigated better than some might think right now.

As far as Cost is concerned, using the $170 DSi as a starting point...

Most of what I read on the 3DS speculates that their 3D effect is achieved through use of a Parallax Barrier on the LCD Screen. According to one article I've been able to find, a screen with PB will add $10-$20 on the price by itself. Adding an accelerometer, gyroscope, another camera lens, and vastly improved hardware and I could easily see a $200 price point. That is, if they just sell stuff at-cost. If they decide they want more profit from each or don't mind taking a hit to move more software, the price moves accordingly.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Pretty good read: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398518 [Digital Foundry analyzes the 3DS][/QUOTE]

Now that I think about it, $250 price point does seem a little far fetched. The article states that the 3DS produces Dreamcast quality graphics. Let's pretend that it takes it a step further and produces GameCube level graphics. That is still based on 10 year old technology. So unless they want to rip us off, $250 might be impractical. Hopefully $219 is the sweet spot.

Hopefully they realize the thing will sell like gangbusters at $179 and that they can make a ton of profit off of software. OOT and SF64 are going to be pure profit.

Doesn't reading topics on the PSP forum go against your vow to be a living, breathing Nintendo mouthpiece or something?

bread's done
Back