Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

I'm really excited about the 3DS...it kind of feels like a system that our younger selfs would have dreamt up years ago. I'm loving it.

[quote name='SpazX']I'd bet that the installing is a misunderstanding somewhere too. But, if you can install it, there isn't really any reason to do so other than to not have the cartridge in there. Unlike disc-based games there would probably be very little, if any, differences in load times.[/QUOTE]

The benefit won't be in load times...the benefit will come from not having to cart around 4-5 games everywhere you want to take your 3DS.

There has to be some kind of caveat to installing (if it is more than a rumor). DRM, registration, not being fully featured without cart, requiring cart every 48 hours, or something. Otherwise, what's to stop someone from just renting games and putting them on their 3DS?

I want one of these as soon as possible. I've really been bored with my DS for the past year or so, but this has me excited all over again.

If you can install multiple game this thing has just killed the psp. I hope this thing can play VC games maybe up to Snes or N64.

Hearing all this stuff about the 3DS makes me feel like Zapp Brannigan in the Amazonia episode. It's like my body can't take the awesome anymore. I am spongy and bruised despite my willing spirit.

Short of announcing it dispenses puppies covered in ice cream, I'm failing to see what the system lacks right now.

To play devil's advocate, knowing Nintendo, the internal memory of the system is going to be small. Game sizes are reported to be 2GB at max. I could see the internal memory being capped in the low gigs, which would limit the number of installs. That would be a "soft" antipiracy measure. I better not find out there's a limit to installs per game card. That would be deal breaker of the damn century.

The other rumor is that the system innately connects to available wifi networks covertly, and that through this, antipiracy measures could more or less be running 24/7. Basically Nintendo could be having software updates being installed consistently, negated the usability of flash carts and the like. Of course I expect it to be cracked within a few days. I could see it working better if the 3DS was 3G enabled, but nothing suggests that at the time being, and I'm really doubting Nintendo to go after that kind of tech since it would be an added cost.

That 8bit stuff? So. fucking. Want. Holy. Damn. Give me give me give me give me GIVE ME.

I think the only other feature missing at this point is the ability to offload Wii VC games onto the system for portable gaming, alongside a game save cloud like Steam has. I would have a heart attack.

Hey, I thought I was the guy playing devil's advocate here.

I'm wondering if the original article writer was told one thing, that has since been misinterpreted and mistranslated to the point we think we'll be able to install software off of carts. The original article states that we'll be able to "copy software to internal memory" and "we'll be able to switch between games by selecting them on a menu". They may just be referring to DSiWare. We can copy games from online and play them without need for a cart. Seems like it'd make a lot more sense than being able to install any game off of any cart to our 3DS.

[quote name='Strell']Short of announcing it dispenses puppies covered in ice cream, I'm failing to see what the system lacks right now.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

[quote name='pete5883']Isn't this probably a mistranslation of Iwata's comments about the wireless communication working even if you don't have the game in the slot? I'm willing to bet it is.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Salamando3000']Hey, I thought I was the guy playing devil's advocate here.

I'm wondering if the original article writer was told one thing, that has since been misinterpreted and mistranslated to the point we think we'll be able to install software off of carts. The original article states that we'll be able to "copy software to internal memory" and "we'll be able to switch between games by selecting them on a menu". They may just be referring to DSiWare. We can copy games from online and play them without need for a cart. Seems like it'd make a lot more sense than being able to install any game off of any cart to our 3DS.[/QUOTE]

But this comes from a Japanese source so there can't be a mistranslation.
Nikkei is pretty reliable, we'll just have to see how Nintendo actually plans to implement this.

[quote name='dallow']Nikkei is pretty reliable, we'll just have to see how Nintendo actually plans to implement this.[/QUOTE]

Assuming it's true, there will absolutely be caveats. Nintendo tends to go three steps forward and then take one or two back. It's weird to see something like this become a feature because it seems to open the door to piracy, but if they offer it, then surely they've thought it through.

Nikkei does tend to be on the money. I don't know the track record and can't think of any examples off hand but I'm fairly sure they've reported accurately in the past.

The andriarising.com article (which is the source I've seen quoted for this rumor) leaves a little room for speculation, and people are running wild with it. It doesn't state that games will be copies from the game carts themselves. That bit seems inferred from the "The paper notes that due to this feature, there'll be no need to swap cartridges. When outside of the home, you won't need to carry game cartridges with you." part. Not saying they definitely aren't allowing you to install games off of carts, just that there's quite possibly a more reasonable explanation...or maybe I'm just terribly skeptical.

I see what you're getting at Salamando3000. I think that could be the case, but let's hope you can install games from the game carts. Although, I don't think it would matter too much, since Cartridges are not as easily damaged as Discs are.

Nintendo has stated that they consider the battle with Sony over and their primary competitor for handheld gaming is now Apple. I expect many features in the 3DS are being developed primarily for this battle. iPhone and iPod Touch can have many applications installed, so the rumor from Nikkei sounds entirely plausible to me. I expect it will have 8 GB for applications, the same as the low-end iPod Touch. I also expect the price to be no more than $199, again the same as the low-end iPod Touch.

I'm very excited about everything I've seen so far of the 3DS. I haven't gotten a console on Day 1 since the Nintendo 64, but it looks like I'm going to do it again for 3DS especially with all the N64 ports. I hope they'll have some on display at SDCC next month so I can try it out.

I just want to see how this thing looks up close. The demo where you appear to be looking through the top screen onto a table below (using the exterior cameras) sounds really cool.

[quote name='62t']I would still like a way for me to transfer DSiware from my DSi to the new system[/QUOTE]

I think they might be working that stuff out. They definitely weren't commenting on it. I don't have a DSi, so it really wouldn't bug me. It'd suck though. I'm sure they've heard a lot of demand for it, so it might happen.

If game installs weren't in 3DS, I wouldn't be disappointed about it, either. I think the 3DS will have 8gb of internal memory though.

The 3DS looks really exciting.. though the skeptic in me sees a lot of the excitement as ports of really popular games from 5 years ago. Pair that with how little Nintendo did with the DSi (which was ONLY released like mid 2008), and I wonder if I'll be left feeling burned, like with the DSi.

Nintendo is making a lot of DS revisions lately.. DSi XL is something like 6 months old isn't it?

Animal Crossing 3DS
Kid Icarus Uprising
Mario Kart 3DS
Kingdom Hearts 3D
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DS
Paper Mario 3DS
Pilotwings Resort
Resident Evil: Revelations
Star Fox 64 3D

I'll be happy if they have Donkey Kong 64 & Super Mario RPG 3D :)

[quote name='Droenixjpn']Speaking on behalf of Animal Crossing 3DS... did anyone else notice from the screens that everyone looks taller?[/QUOTE]
Yessssssssssss

[quote name='Masterkyo'] I'll be happy if they have Donkey Kong 64 & Super Mario RPG 3D :)[/QUOTE]

And here I thought I was the only one that liked DK64 :D (well, aside from the rap, which granted I actually liked when I was a kid...)

That DK rap was cool. Even if you hate rap with a passion, you kind of have to like that... unless you hate DK too.

Nintendo should release a rhythm game composed of all the terrible raps related to its properties over the years. Super Mario Bros Super Show theme song, Rappin' Nerds Zelda NES, DK Rap...surely there's a few more.

[quote name='Strell']Nintendo should release a rhythm game composed of all the terrible raps related to its properties over the years. Super Mario Bros Super Show theme song, Rappin' Nerds Zelda NES, DK Rap...surely there's a few more.[/QUOTE]

Charmeleon, Wartortle, MewTwo, Tentacruel, Aerodactyl, Omanyte, Slowpoke, Pidgeot, Arbok, that's all folks!

[quote name='Strell']Nintendo should release a rhythm game composed of all the terrible raps related to its properties over the years. Super Mario Bros Super Show theme song, Rappin' Nerds Zelda NES, DK Rap...surely there's a few more.[/QUOTE]

I would kill for another Elite Beat Agents with their terrible rap songs rather than an Avril Lavigne knockoff, lol.

[quote name='Salamando3000']You mean Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix wasn't enough?[/QUOTE]

Hey - don't knock Mario Mix! I loved that game and the Nintendo-themed music in it.

Awww, I was actually hoping for a Christmas release, but waiting till March just means more time to save up to buy all the games I'm going to inevitably want :D Oh wait, that just means "before the end of the fiscal year", right? So maybe we will see it by Christmas. Makes it easy what to ask for :D

So how much do you guys think it will cost? With the amount of hype and demand it has, Nintendo has the power to sell it for as much as $249 in my view and it would still sell well. I don't see it selling for less than $199. What do you think?

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']It might be here sooner than I thought. According to Reggie, the 3DS will be launching in all major markets by March 2011.

I was thinking March for Japan, later for everywhere else, but this gives me hope that we might even see it by Christmas.[/QUOTE]

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/705733/Rumor-Nintendo-3DS-Releasing-In-December.html

Unless Nintendo has some unforseen delay, I'd bank on Christmas. Then I'd bank on a major shortage of the 3DS for Christmas.

I think Reggie said before March 2011, so hopefully we'll see it sooner. Plus he said the 3DS you saw at E3 will most likely be the final product, so they don't have to redo anything. Which makes for a faster release date.

bread's done
Back