Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='jer7583']People can flip if they want to but it gives me a kind of giddy joy to see them get screwed over, as many of them are smug assholes who think they're too smart.

So amazon's given me $40 towards a 3DS launch title - they gave me $20 credit for SSF4 and $10 each for Ghost Recon and Ridge Racer.

Not sure about getting Lego Star Wars, Rayman, or The Sims.

Never played rayman or any lego star wars games.[/QUOTE]

We've got until the end of June, so I imagine there may be some more games out by then.

Rayman is actually Rayman 2...if I'm remembering right, the IGN review seems to be negative for no other reason than it's a port of Rayman 2 and not a new game. Between the three that's what I'd probably go for.

IMO it's overhyped though-Rayman 2 was the best of the three games IMO, but it's a pretty simple game-not a ton of power ups or whatever.

What's really, really weird is I think the DS *ALSO* launched with a port of Rayman 2...but a crappier one...along with also launching with that Gameloft racer! :lol:

I don't know...I've only played the second Lego Star Wars, and didn't like it-got too hard, and was never particularly fun. The Sims might be more interesting if you want to screw around with it. Rayman 2's a solid 3D platformer, probably one of the better launch games. (I'd be curious how it holds up to the Dreamcast and Playstation 2 versions!)

[quote name='jblank']Exactly. Like I said, I do this with boats all the time, some people do it with houses, diamonds, gold, jewelry, electronics, whatever. If the market supports a price and people will pay that price, then that should be the end of your concern.[/QUOTE]
I think most people here have an issue with hoarders buying multiple units of an already limited item to sell; not the profit that they make from desperate people with too much money. Buying an extra console or two and flipping it is whatever, but when people were buying 5+, 10+ Wiis when a lot of people (including myself) could not find one was bullshit. Of course, Nintendo should share some of the blame.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Interesting...are the 3DS/DSi/DSi XL chargers the same? That would be handy.

Thanks...yeah, I like a spare for...uh...well, the same reasons :lol:

Yes.

What "value of time"? You took a unit from Amazon, and made the person go through Craigslist or something idiotic instead. You're taking time from them if anything.

And regardless, scalpers are scum. We don't want them here.[/QUOTE]

You're either (A) a child, (B) an idealist with no real idea of how business/profit works, or (C) just trying to be contrary.

There is no way you are going to sit here and tell me that you've never sold something and made money on it (or if you do, you're lying), or that someone that buys something, to make a profit, is a "predator". If everyone operated on the basis of making money being predatory, none of us would have jobs because no money would have been made.

You guys need to set foot into the real world and understand how a market based system works. Supply and demand, for all its foibles, creates situations where services are provided in exchange for money, this situation is no different.

[quote name='foltzie']Made? Was this person coerced under some sort of duress to log onto Craigslist and search for an item, rather than wait for more stock?

How is this any different than what Gamestop does? Do the folks here really think you shouldnt be able to sell something you've bought? That is a scary thread of logic.

Note: I agree there shouldnt be flippers in this section of the forum, there is a trading section precisely for that function.[/QUOTE]

They probably do. Lots of jealousy out there when it comes to people making money, particularly if someone has something you want, but can't afford to buy.

[quote name='Wolfpup']That doesn't necessarily mean you can use the DSi XL charger for the 3DS, just that you can use the 3DS charger for the DSi. Hopefully someone can compare specs on them...

*hugs my DS XL* :D[/QUOTE]

I charged my 3DS using a DSi XL charger after I bought it, so yeah it works fine.

[quote name='yukine']I think most people here have an issue with hoarders buying multiple units of an already limited item to sell; not the profit that they make from desperate people with too much money. Buying an extra console or two and flipping it is whatever, but when people were buying 5+, 10+ Wiis when a lot of people (including myself) could not find one was bullshit. Of course, Nintendo should share some of the blame.[/QUOTE]

Sure they should. They created, falsely if you believe some people, and environment that was tailor made for people to buy and sell. Still, buying multiple units to sell took a lot of work if I remember correctly and if someone is going to put that much effort into it, and someone wants to pay retail plus premium, can you blame them?

If you had one and I came to you and said here is 5 $100 bills, for your Wii, most people are going to take that. Tell me a situation where people are going to pass on a chance to double there money?

Now that you guys/gals have the 3DS in hands, please answer this burning question I have...

Can you play the 3DS while it's plugged in for charging? Thanks in advance!

[quote name='Organization_XIII']confoosious -Well, that's a bit harsh. You're just assuming everyone lives in a big city and has access to retail stores a few blocks away. What about people who live in the country?[/QUOTE]

I assume amazon delivers to rural areas too

[quote name='Serpentor']Now that you guys/gals have the 3DS in hands, please answer this burning question I have...

Can you play the 3DS while it's plugged in for charging? Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

Yes you can and you will probably be doing that a lot, lol.

[quote name='sunghost']I charged my 3DS using a DSi XL charger after I bought it, so yeah it works fine.[/QUOTE]

Nice! Thanks for the confirmation!

Does anyone else think it's weird that the 3DS, i, and i XL all use the same charger...and it's different from the earlier ones?

I wonder...the new charger is physically larger...maybe they just bumped it up and are using it as a new standard.

Well, that's cool at any rate.

I imagine the 3DS still doesn't work with the battery removed though, right? I'd love someone to test it, but I bet no one will, and I'm like 90% sure of the answer ahead of time :(

[quote name='jblank']You're either (A) a child, (B) an idealist with no real idea of how business/profit works, or (C) just trying to be contrary.[/quote]

Yes, clearly because I don't condone a behavior it means I'm a child, or I don't know how the almighty market works, or am trying to be contrary. THERE'S NO OTHER POSSIBILITY!

You guys need to set foot into the real world and understand how a market based system works.

THE MARKET! THE MARKET! ALL HAIL THE MARKET! I pray to thee, all powerful and wise market, willst thou takest my burdens from me?

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

[quote name='Waughoo']Well, I have my nice new 3DS, and no games for it cause they all suck :(

On the other hand, Mario 64 DS with the analog stick is great![/QUOTE]

..but it just emulates the d-pad for DS games, doesn't it?

Anyone who mocks the free hand of the market doesn't understand capitalism.

Nobody likes hoarders/flippers but mocking the market is like mocking gravity.

Yeah the DSi charger is the same as the 3DS one.
I just played the Face Raiders game. It's a little disturbing but neat.
I'm not liking where the stylus is but it might be that I'm just so used to where it is on the DSlite.
Overall I'm happy with the 3DS. Now if only some great games would come out.

I'm very pleased with the 3DS, I can't wait to see what 2nd generation games bring us!!!!

As for as scalpers/hoarding things go, just drop it!!! Yes it sucks if you really want something and couldn't get it but most of us do have the opportunity to get said item, whether it be pre-ordering or staying out all night in the cold to get that PS3. Also, as long as people feed the outrageous prices it wont stop, so it goes both ways.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Nice! Thanks for the confirmation!

Does anyone else think it's weird that the 3DS, i, and i XL all use the same charger...and it's different from the earlier ones?

I wonder...the new charger is physically larger...maybe they just bumped it up and are using it as a new standard.

Well, that's cool at any rate.

I imagine the 3DS still doesn't work with the battery removed though, right? I'd love someone to test it, but I bet no one will, and I'm like 90% sure of the answer ahead of time :(

Yes, clearly because I don't condone a behavior it means I'm a child, or I don't know how the almighty market works, or am trying to be contrary. THERE'S NO OTHER POSSIBILITY!

THE MARKET! THE MARKET! ALL HAIL THE MARKET! I pray to thee, all powerful and wise market, willst thou takest my burdens from me?

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:[/QUOTE]

What behavior? Selling something and making money on it? If this was water bottles during Katrina, then you would have a point, but this is a video game system we're talking about here, in tough economic times, and for you to begrudge someone for simply trying to make money, is ridiculous.

Nice how you guys keep dodging my question about someone offering you more than something is worth, seems to me your silence is deafening. It's always a different story though when it some other schlub.

[quote name='Serpentor']Now that you guys/gals have the 3DS in hands, please answer this burning question I have...

Can you play the 3DS while it's plugged in for charging? Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

It takes forever to charge if you are using it, but yes you can. My DS Lite was the same way, play it while charging and it takes forever. Charge it while it is off or in standby mode and it might take a couple of hours at most.

[quote name='confoosious']Anyone who mocks the free hand of the market doesn't understand capitalism.

Nobody likes hoarders/flippers but mocking the market is like mocking gravity.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

Heck, I'm a pretty liberal Democrat, hardly a guy that thinks that everything Capitalistic is great, but my God, people gotta make money, it is the way society is, money is needed, it's why we work. People who employ us? Gotta make money. People who are speculators? Gotta make money. Collectors that like to buy and sell? Gotta make money. Why pretend that someone who wants to buy a game console, again, not exactly a "have to have this or I will die" kind of item, is Jeffrey Dahmer all of the sudden?

Grow up!

[quote name='confoosious']Anyone who mocks the free hand of the market doesn't understand capitalism.[/quote]

Backwards.

Nobody likes hoarders/flippers but mocking the market is like mocking gravity.

No, no its not.

I thought people had realized Wolfpup was a joke poster by now?

---

Got my 3DS, I like it, wish it were matte and I mostly play in 2D. Screen looks very sharp.
Probably shouldn't have got Street Fighter though.

My friend code: 3609-1044-7487

[quote name='dallow']I thought people had realized Wolfpup was a joke poster by now?

---

Got my 3DS, I like it, wish it were matte and I mostly play in 2D. Screen looks very sharp.
Probably shouldn't have got Street Fighter though.

My friend code: 3609-1044-7487[/QUOTE]

I'm not too concerned about the finish as far as fingerprints goes, but rather scratches. I'm VERY careful with my stuff, some people would probably say OCD, but it seems as though the finish on the 3DS might be a bit easy to scratch.

[quote name='seanr1221']It's even worse. He (she?) believes what he (she?) says. Yikes.[/QUOTE]

Huh? What's with these random insults?

How the hey am I a "joke poster"? Just because I say something you don't like doesn't make me a joke poster.

Oh no, I hate scalpers! Call the media!

no dude. most of us hate scalpers.

you're a joke poster for other reasons.

Anyway, can we get back to the 3ds and how i will play the shit out of ghost recon?

[quote name='Wolfpup']How the hey am I a "joke poster"? Just because I say something you don't like doesn't make me a joke poster.

Oh no, I hate scalpers! Call the media![/QUOTE]

How many times do we have to prove to you that this isn't some immoral thing? I'll ask you this question again, if you own a widget that you paid $100 for and someone wants to buy it off of you for $250, are you going to only sell it to them for $100? Have you never, in your entire life, sold something for more than you paid for it?

This is no different. This isn't a life or death thing where people are exploiting a resource in a disaster, this is a situation where some people (falsely) believed they could buy these at retail and sell them for a profit. How is that wrong? How is that immoral? Cruel?

Look at Baseball cards, antiques, houses, anything where people can buy items for less money and often sell them for more, why is that all of a sudden an immoral act for you? My parents paid $35,000 for their home in 1973 and sold it in 2007 for $221,000, did they engage in predatory behavior? Are they somehow immoral? Using your logic (I hate to even call it that), they shouldn't have asked any more than their initial $35,000 investment.

It isn't your money, nobody is forcing someone to pay $1,000 for a PS3, or $500 for a Wii or $360. If they were, THEN you'd have a beef.

[quote name='confoosious']no dude. most of us hate scalpers.

you're a joke poster for other reasons.

Anyway, can we get back to the 3ds and how i will play the shit out of ghost recon?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm not a great fan of scalpers. I couldn't go to the Notre Dame vs Tennessee football game about 5 years ago because I didn't wanna spend $175 a piece for two tickets. I didn't like it, I thought it was too much, and I didn't pay it. Same thing applies on selling game systems.

Anyway, this has gone on too long, I'm done talking about this now......back to the system.

Back to the system.

Ive found that using the 3D is easier when you can hold the unit. No needing to cross your eyes (I did a bit at Best Buy).

The firmware is a bit slugish, takes a few seconds to load everything. SSF4 is fun enough. I have Bust a Move U and Steel Diver on the way.

[quote name='confoosious']no dude. most of us hate scalpers.

you're a joke poster for other reasons.[/quote]

And those are? Or can I start randomly insulting you now?

[quote name='jblank']How many times do we have to prove to you that this isn't some immoral thing?[/quote]

"We" who? Most people do not like scalpers. I never said anything about morality. I don't know that it rises to that level. But "we" do not like them, and they have no place on a game forum.

[quote name='foltzie']Back to the system.

Ive found that using the 3D is easier when you can hold the unit. No needing to cross your eyes (I did a bit at Best Buy).[/quote]

You can hold the unit at Best Buy-or at least I could at mine, unless not all the displays are the same. I had major issues with it as described though.

Still on the fence about this, though sort of leaning towards just keeping the thing since I already know there will probably be at least two games I really want (Paper Mario and the DK Jungle Beat/Super Mario Galaxy team's game).

[quote name='Wolfpup']You can hold the unit at Best Buy-or at least I could at mine, unless not all the displays are the same. I had major issues with it as described though.

Still on the fence about this, though sort of leaning towards just keeping the thing since I already know there will probably be at least two games I really want (Paper Mario and the DK Jungle Beat/Super Mario Galaxy team's game).[/QUOTE]

I held it at Best Buy too, I had to work for the 3d there, sitting at my desk I tried out the system today and it just appeared, no work, no pain*.

I'm keeping mine, the second unit I'm going to return as the misses doesn't really want one yet (she most certainly will when Zelda releases). I could try to flip it, but meh, despite my support of the concept, I really dont have the patience for the process.

*As far as I could tell. I already had a headache that had not yet subsided.

What games should I buy? I picked up Pilot Wings Resort, Steel Diver, Super Street Fighter IV 3D edition, & Nintendogs+Cats: Toy Poodle Edition at TRU yesterday. I have my Amazon credit ready to use but unsure what 2 to get, I have Ridge Racer and Lego Star Wars III The Clone Wars 3D in my cart. I'm also looking at Samurai Warriors Chronicles and Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, I'm not a big fan of RTS games but do enjoy the good ones.

[quote name='skiizim']What games should I buy? I picked up Pilot Wings Resort, Steel Diver, Super Street Fighter IV 3D edition, & Nintendogs+Cats: Toy Poodle Edition at TRU yesterday. I have my Amazon credit ready to use but unsure what 2 to get, I have Ridge Racer and Lego Star Wars III The Clone Wars 3D in my cart. I'm also looking at Samurai Warriors Chronicles and Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, I'm not a big fan of RTS games but do enjoy the good ones.[/QUOTE]

Ghost Recon isn't an RTS, it's turn based as I understand it. Sounds super hard, but pretty good (if you're good at them), from IGN's review.

*Personally* for the ones you don't have yet, I'd do Ridge Racer or Rayman 3D (Rayman 2, if you haven't already played it).

My problem with Rayman 3D is that it's an Ubisoft title, so I'm 99% positive it will be close to $20-$25 with in the month.

Thanks for the input on Ghost Recon, I'll look up some videos later on!

[quote name='skiizim']My problem with Rayman 3D is that it's an Ubisoft title, so I'm 99% positive it will be close to $20-$25 with in the month.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, sounds plausible.

I THINK Rayman 2 was ALSO a DS launch title, which personally I find hilarious! I'm sure this is a much better port though.

I took my 3DS to work today (I work for Target) to let my co-workers check it out and the electronics staff familiarize their selves with it for customer purposes.. I kept it on sleep mode in my pocket while I worked and when I got home today I was surprised that I caught some chick's Mii off of the StreetPass feature. It seems rare for me to catch somebody due to not many people owning the handheld, but I find this feature kind of exciting.

[quote name='Organization_XIII']You see, I'm not sure that's going to be the case this year. I may be wrong, but between March and December, there's alot of time for Nintendo to produce a lot more and for people who really want them to pick them up before then. I guess I'll have to wait 9 months to see if that's going to be the case.[/QUOTE]

Yeah i agree.
Very hard to imagine that these will be hard to find around Xmas time.
(they are not sold out anywhere from what ive seen)

Also something called the NGP will be more in demand..
I would expect NGP to be soldout due to releasing near xgiving-xmas time.

Anyway,

Back to the 3DS discussion.

I do like new system launches. But I don't really know if the 249 price point will hold up for long.

[quote name='lombarvm']Does anyone know if any clear protective cases are on the market yet? I want to keep this thing super glossy.[/QUOTE]

Don't think so.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']Yeah i agree.
Very hard to imagine that these will be hard to find around Xmas time.
(they are not sold out anywhere from what ive seen)

Also something called the NGP will be more in demand..
I would expect NGP to be soldout due to releasing near xgiving-xmas time.

Anyway,

Back to the 3DS discussion.

I do like new system launches. But I don't really know if the 249 price point will hold up for long.[/QUOTE]

You know the 3ds is gonna outsell the NGP right? This isn't meant to be a start of a fanboy war. It's just that the target market for the Nintendo handheld just is so broad.

It doesn't matter if the NGP is a ferrari to nintendo's Toyota. It's just the demographics.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']I know the 3DS is region locked, but does that include DS games too?[/QUOTE]

oh gosh i hope not!!!!! i do not want to have to rebuy a DS for that reason only to play my ds import games.

bread's done
Back