Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

I got the Black Screen of Whatever the other night while playing Ghost Recon for the first time. Unfortunately, I lost a good 45 minutes of gameplay because of it. I've been turning off the wi-fi on my 3DS before launching it and it hasn't crashed again.

Thanks to Dallow and others for their enthusiastic endorsements of Ghost Recon...it's actually my favorite of the launch games now. I've never played a turn-based game before so I'm still getting a feel for it but it looks great and the gameplay is surprisingly compelling.

[quote name='bmachine']I got the Black Screen of Whatever the other night while playing Ghost Recon for the first time.
[/QUOTE]
Since following this thread it seems like this is the game that causes the crashes. Anyone else have a different game cause it?

[quote name='confoosious']I would buy a trauma center game (AR or not) at MSRP. [/QUOTE]
"Place wrist here and begin self surgery"

[quote name='super_dawn']I'm using an old dslite hard leather case I own, but I'm thinking of buying a real nice one I saw on amazon the other night. It's between these two:

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-...R0Z2/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1302258947&sr=8-9

or

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Offi...O65Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1302258947&sr=8-3[/QUOTE]

Ahh, I didn't know there are leather cases, too. Now I want that official version... Thanks for bringing this to attention! :D

-- Frequent Leather Store Customer

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Why does the second link have pictures that show a DSi in the 3DS case instead of the 3DS?[/QUOTE]

Because when the product was designed the 3DS wasn't released yet? It takes time for product picture adjustments to occur.

[quote name='bmachine']I got the Black Screen of Whatever the other night while playing Ghost Recon for the first time. Unfortunately, I lost a good 45 minutes of gameplay because of it. I've been turning off the wi-fi on my 3DS before launching it and it hasn't crashed again.

Thanks to Dallow and others for their enthusiastic endorsements of Ghost Recon...it's actually my favorite of the launch games now. I've never played a turn-based game before so I'm still getting a feel for it but it looks great and the gameplay is surprisingly compelling.[/QUOTE]
Glad you like it. Its not overwhelming like some SRPGs can be sometimes. Its so satisfying to set up your team, movements and having a plan work out.

Yeah, and after turning WiFi off I haven't got the error after playing for many hours.
I save mid game at key points too just in case of a freeze, or I make a terrible mistake.

:whistle2:D

[quote name='Mad D']Since following this thread it seems like this is the game that causes the crashes. Anyone else have a different game cause it?[/QUOTE]

So hopefully the black screen of death is just a crash in that particular game? That's bad for the game, but it would stink of DSeses are dying.

Geez, I really need to start playing mine :lol:

[quote name='Wolfpup']So hopefully the black screen of death is just a crash in that particular game? That's bad for the game, but it would stink of DSeses are dying.

Geez, I really need to start playing mine :lol:[/QUOTE]

I think people are getting the BSoD in other instances, but it seems to be happening very frequently with the aforementioned game.

And yes, you need to start playing your 3DS. How dare you have restraint. ;)

I realize this is one of those 'now that I've said it, it's going to happen' things, but I've put close to 9-10 hours into Ghost Recon since launch and haven't had a crash yet. Anecdotal evidence and all, but I figured it's worth pointing out that not everyone has had an issue.

Love the game... glad it was a launch title, frankly, since I think it'd would've easily been overlooked had it been released any other time (or on the DS).

[quote name='utopianmachine']I think people are getting the BSoD in other instances, but it seems to be happening very frequently with the aforementioned game.

And yes, you need to start playing your 3DS. How dare you have restraint. ;)[/QUOTE]

What is the BSoD? I havn't been reading this thread as much as I would have liked.

Thanks in advance!

[quote name='DocRamon']broke down and got one after saying meh to the demo unit... i'm actually happy i did. the more i play with it, in the comfort of my own home, the more i seem to enjoy it![/QUOTE]

thats exactly how it worked for me.

[quote name='Batcave Dweller']Ahh, I didn't know there are leather cases, too. Now I want that official version... Thanks for bringing this to attention! :D

-- Frequent Leather Store Customer[/QUOTE]
Best Buy had a nice looking PowerA brand case as well. $14.99 however.

It is a great babysitting tool, something young kids do on airplanes, but no self-respecting twenty-something is going to be sitting on an airplane with one of those. He's too old for that.

So on a random note, I found a mint copy of Radiant Historia at GameStop, and it wasn't gutted and shit. Now I can rest at peace on that issue. I still need to get Okamiden and a few others though...

Anybody else getting any other DS games while the getting is still good?

[quote name='Batcave Dweller']Ahh, I didn't know there are leather cases, too. Now I want that official version... Thanks for bringing this to attention! :D

-- Frequent Leather Store Customer[/QUOTE]

:) No problem. I'm leaning towards that one myself.

[quote name='Javery']It is a great babysitting tool, something young kids do on airplanes, but no self-respecting twenty-something is going to be sitting on an airplane with one of those. He's too old for that.[/QUOTE]

Too old for what?

[quote name='M-PG71C']So on a random note, I found a mint copy of Radiant Historia at GameStop, and it wasn't gutted and shit. Now I can rest at peace on that issue. I still need to get Okamiden and a few others though...

Anybody else getting any other DS games while the getting is still good?[/QUOTE]

Picked up a mint one today too.
Only a couple stores in Dallas still had a random copy.

[quote name='Javery']It is a great babysitting tool, something young kids do on airplanes, but no self-respecting twenty-something is going to be sitting on an airplane with one of those. He's too old for that.[/QUOTE]

I read your post earlier in the day and went huh?

Now I know...that's a quote from Sony CEO Jack Tretton...referring to Nintendo handhelds. Here's the article:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/04/08/playstation-chief-nintendo-makes-%E2%80%98babysitting-tools%E2%80%99/

At least he didn't include thirty-somethings like me... :roll:

[quote name='Batcave Dweller']I read your post earlier in the day and went huh?

Now I know...that's a quote from Sony CEO Jack Tretton...referring to Nintendo handhelds. Here's the article:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/04/08/playstation-chief-nintendo-makes-%E2%80%98babysitting-tools%E2%80%99/

At least he didn't include thirty-somethings like me... :roll:[/QUOTE]
Sony executives have a real talent for foot-in-mouth comments, don't they? I would like to think that most "self-respecting twenty-something" would want to own both an NGP and 3DS at some point, since they both offer something different. But way to stay with System Wars bullshit from like 7 years ago, Tretton.

unless there's ANYTHING worth playing on the system, the point remains....

IF it was only referring to the 3DS. He seems to claim the whole GB experience is a babysitting tool, which is pretty retarded but his company is in direct competition with Nintendo, it's not really surprising.

Not like Nintendo isn't guilty of this stuff. Bitching about Apple because it devalues game developers, and then turning around and releasing Steel Diver at $40. Of course a game worth $1 at $40 MSRP isn't going to do as well as a $1 game.

[quote name='elessar123']Not like Nintendo isn't guilty of this stuff. Bitching about Apple because it devalues game developers, and then turning around and releasing Steel Diver at $40. Of course a game worth $1 at $40 MSRP isn't going to do as well as a $1 game.[/QUOTE]

I think the main issue here is how Sony CEO insulted some of us gamers directly....telling us we have no self-respect for playing DS/3DS in public. I don't mind companies criticizing competitors' gadgets in terms of technology, developer effort and such but when it comes to gamers, that's pretty assholic.

I'm gonna be pissed if amazon lets people use that $25 promo credit on Zelda OoT and resident evil:the mercenaries :(

at least i got $10 credit from amazon B^)

dem cats and dogs coming monday.

[quote name='elessar123']Not like Nintendo isn't guilty of this stuff. Bitching about Apple because it devalues game developers, and then turning around and releasing Steel Diver at $40. Of course a game worth $1 at $40 MSRP isn't going to do as well as a $1 game.[/QUOTE]

I'm honestly amazed at just how well the gaming industry missed the entire point of the GDC speech, since it's generating comments like this several months out.

How do you turn off Wifi?

How do you rearrange icons on the menu screen? On the XL, you just hit up and move it where you want it, but I can't figure it out here.

I hope the "3D" works in real games with my glasses off. Couldn't see it at all. I'll have to play around more with it later, but now it's back to Zelda (and then Yakuza, I guess)

[quote name='dallow']Are you an elderly confused man?[/QUOTE]

Gee, thanks for the "help" :roll:

Found a slider on the side of the system that seems to do Wifi. Not sure how to rearrange icons yet though.

[quote name='Wolfpup']How do you turn off Wifi?

How do you rearrange icons on the menu screen? On the XL, you just hit up and move it where you want it, but I can't figure it out here.

I hope the "3D" works in real games with my glasses off. Couldn't see it at all. I'll have to play around more with it later, but now it's back to Zelda (and then Yakuza, I guess)[/QUOTE]

Use the stylus to touch one of the icons and keep holding onto it....then it will move. :)

[quote name='super_dawn']Use the stylus to touch one of the icons and keep holding onto it....then it will move. :)[/QUOTE]

Oh cool, thanks! That's like iOS does it! :)

I went to a broadway show with my mother yesterday, and had my 3DS in Street Pass mode for when we were in Times Square. NOT A SINGLE HIT! GRR!

[quote name='flameofdoom666']I went to a broadway show with my mother yesterday, and had my 3DS in Street Pass mode for when we were in Times Square. NOT A SINGLE HIT! GRR![/QUOTE]

The same thing happened to me with my DS lite at a Comedy show in the heart of Minneapolis.

The fact is those features, which ARE absolutely neat, just don't work in the United States - they're designed with Japan in mind, first and foremost.

[quote name='BattleChicken']The same thing happened to me with my DS lite at a Comedy show in the heart of Minneapolis.

The fact is those features, which ARE absolutely neat, just don't work in the United States - they're designed with Japan in mind, first and foremost.[/QUOTE]

Blah..

I bet if I go to the Nintendo World store I will get some hits, but that is probably the only place that will work right now. Maybe when the 3DS is much more common, Times Square will be a great spot to Street Pass in. I had to have passed thousands of people yesterday too..

I swallowed my pride and picked one up against my best judgement. Charging it now. Bought Bust A Move and Samurai Warriors with the $10 GC deal at Best Buy.

I've been selling lots of old, valuable games on ebay lately, so I figured I could afford to spoil myself. And I probably won't be buying many games in the coming months anyway.

The Black charging dock seems completely pointless though. Can anybody explain to me why we need it? It drives the price up and is just something else to lose.

Welcome to the club!

This dock is for convenience purposes. You're more likely to always keep the 3DS charging vs if you had to plug it in. Supposedly it was included due to the 3-5 hour battery life. I'm doubtful it added much to the price though.

[quote name='2DMention']

The Black charging dock seems completely pointless though. Can anybody explain to me why we need it? It drives the price up and is just something else to lose.[/QUOTE]

Aw that's one of my favorite features! It's so easy to drop and charge. I don't think I'd lose it...it sits on my nightstand next to my bed.

[quote name='omster']Welcome to the club!

This dock is for convenience purposes. You're more likely to always keep the 3DS charging vs if you had to plug it in. Supposedly it was included due to the 3-5 hour battery life. I'm doubtful it added much to the price though.[/QUOTE]

Yep and if I recall you can order more for about $3 or $4 each at Nintendo. That price seems about right.

I got of couple of street passes at the Renaissance Faire yesterday. I'm guessing that one of these street passes came from the Link cosplayer, specially since one of the Miis was wearing a Link hat and wig.

Spent about an hour with it.

Impressions:

It's hard to take pictures of your face with the facing camera.
Head raiders is kinda fun.
The 3D effects in Bust A Move are pretty good and used throughout and they actually work the 3D in a meaningful way in the game.
There's lots of possibility for Old Portable games in the DS download.
3D movies/netflix will be cool, but the battery life might limit this severely.
Miis are like on Wii.
System is sleek and just the right size.
Kinda harder to pull out and use the stylus compared to the XL and the Lite.

Looks like they'll integrate online gaming better in this system.

I can still see uses for the DS Lite and DSi XL even though this obsoletes them.

DS Lite: Can play GBA on the go, use the rumble pack for Space Invaders & Metroid Pinball. Can use the Arkanoid controller for Arcanoid and Space Invaders.
DSi XL: Can play your fave DS games on a big screen.

bread's done
Back