Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

Sure damn does. I can't wait for that game.

Anyone play the new Mario Party? Any thoughts? Does it still support single-cart multiplayer like it's DS predecessor?
Played it for a bit and was really disappointed. I think DS version is better.

Anyone know the best cloth+cleaner to use on a screen protector? Long story short i tried cleaning a smudge and i made my problem worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a Wii U write and protect pack with 2 stylus at best buy for $2 ( at least there was online a couple days ago) that had a great cloth in it. Even if you didn't have a Wii U, you could probably make use of the cloth and the 2 stylus in the pack for the price.

I got them the week it came out for my XL. (I refuse to buy them more than once).

Of the 4, the only one I play on a regular basis is Warrior's Way. The others got boring or in the case of Mii Force, the risk of pitching the XL out the window in the later levels was just too high.

The Flower one probably is the deepest out of all of them. The Haunted House one is probably maddeningly hard to get all the weapons with normal Streetpasses.

[quote name="Sychophantom" post="11377724" timestamp="1387801452"]I got them the week it came out for my XL. (I refuse to buy them more than once).

Of the 4, the only one I play on a regular basis is Warrior's Way. The others got boring or in the case of Mii Force, the risk of pitching the XL out the window in the later levels was just too high.

The Flower one probably is the deepest out of all of them. The Haunted House one is probably maddeningly hard to get all the weapons with normal Streetpasses.[/quote]

I was thinking of Warrior's Way. That is the one where you can get costumes?

I'm not sure how I've gotten two StreetPasses for A Link Between Worlds without also getting one for the system itself, which makes me think that Shadow Link stuff also supports SpotPass.

There's another Special Mii available through Nintendo Zones. Dark Green Shirt named Eguchi (He's the Producer of Animal Crossing). I can confirm it works through HomePass as well.

Okay, so I got the notification about the new special Mii being in my plaza, but when I went there, he was nowhere to be found.  I tried changing my region because I know that worked pretty well with the E3 Miis, but it didn't do anything.  Am I screwed out of this Mii and the puzzle piece?  I'm not able to go to McDonald's very often (and the relay didn't even work the last two or three times) and I don't have the means to set up a HomePass relay, so I was really looking forward to getting a new piece.

Okay, so I got the notification about the new special Mii being in my plaza, but when I went there, he was nowhere to be found. I tried changing my region because I know that worked pretty well with the E3 Miis, but it didn't do anything. Am I screwed out of this Mii and the puzzle piece? I'm not able to go to McDonald's very often (and the relay didn't even work the last two or three times) and I don't have the means to set up a HomePass relay, so I was really looking forward to getting a new piece.
This one is a N-Zone Special Mii, so sadly, no...you'd have to do a local Zone or HomePass. The e3 Miis were regular SpotPass Miis.

Anyplace with an "attwifi" SSID should work for getting it.

Yeah, I was connected to attwifi at the time; he just never showed up for some reason even though I had a notification stating that he was waiting at the gate.  After looking around on Reddit and GameFAQs, I've seen that quite a few people are having the same problem.

This one is a N-Zone Special Mii, so sadly, no...you'd have to do a local Zone or HomePass. The e3 Miis were regular SpotPass Miis.

Anyplace with an "attwifi" SSID should work for getting it.
Is this still going on?

what is the best mac for this?

can i run the homepass on a macintosh?

Yeah, I was connected to attwifi at the time; he just never showed up for some reason even though I had a notification stating that he was waiting at the gate. After looking around on Reddit and GameFAQs, I've seen that quite a few people are having the same problem.
Hrm. It worked via HomePass for me. However, with all the crap on Nintendo's end with their network, I'm not that surprised. Best I'd say is try again.

Is this still going on?

what is the best mac for this?

can i run the homepass on a macintosh?
As far as I know, it ends Jan 9th.

There are HomePass tutorials for Macs. I cannot tell you how well they work (or if), since I no longer have anything running MacOS.

The best MAC address is debatable. Some like to spoof official zones, some use the ones set up by the originators of the idea. Given it seemed to work for me just connecting to the standard HomePass set, that's what I'd recommend.

However, on my 9 units, I did it well before the recent server troubles.

New puzzle. Chibi Robo this time.
Just got this.

I just got started with the homepass using a DD WRT router. Pretty cool idea, works great with the Warrior's Way game. 8 hrs cooldown kinda sucks but I see there are apps that cycle MAC addresses for you.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that thinks this whole "Homepass" thing is totes dumb.

Not only does it defeat the purpose of Streetpass and ruin the novelty, but it deincentives bringing out your 3DS, causing those of us that like to doing things the legit way to have less streetpass hits to come across.

I still bring out my 3ds.

It gives you the ability to get more street pass than normal. As an adult, my day to day commute is to and fro work. What are the chances of getting a streetpass on a daily basis...slim to none. I get them on the weekend if I go to the mall or places with people and can only get 10 max. Kinda ruin the whole experience in some games.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that thinks this whole "Homepass" thing is totes dumb.

Not only does it defeat the purpose of Streetpass and ruin the novelty, but it deincentives bringing out your 3DS, causing those of us that like to doing things the legit way to have less streetpass hits to come across.
You'd probably have a more convincing statement without the "totes dumb".

As HuBu said, it gives the ability to Streetpass more often. Generally, this also means other countries, which where I live, is not a Streetpass item that happens daily.

I use to to power through puzzle pieces and for Warrior's Way. Sometimes some nice houses in ACNL or those extra Pokemiles help, but generally, it's just to finish puzzles that without it I'd have no chance of finishing (those damned pink pieces).

Its definitely not every place with "attwifi" as my Sam's club does not transmit and never has (despite having "attwifi"), and my local home depot and B&N never transmit, though I have gotten a B&N in a different part of my area to transmit. Haven't tried any other home depot's. Local BB does not work either but I have gotten others to work. The places that work for me are McD's and Pac-Sun and only if you have a Pac-Sun with an attwifi hotspot which is not all of them. Hampton inn also doesn't work at all even though it has attwifi. Even then there are McD's that do not have attwifi and I know of one here that I personally checked that does not have wifi at all.

I work at Depot and get a ton of tags every day. Sometimes I have trouble getting to the eShop, but most of the time it works fine.

I want to agree with you, but when I take my 3DS out every single day and make special trips to McDonald's for the sole purpose of using the relay and yet I only get two or three StreetPasses per month (and they rarely have pink pieces), the whole thing is very tempting. Honestly, the only thing holding me back is that it's hard for me to justify paying money just so I can participate.

Yes those pink pieces are a pain and its sad when you meet people with no new pieces.

You don't have any old wireless routers?

The only router I have is the one I'm currently using for my home network and it's not compatible with any of the HomePass methods that I've seen posted everywhere.  At least not as far as I can tell.

So far, I've seen HomePass methods for Windows (using a usb dongle or wireless card plus wired connection), Mac (same), Raspberry Pi (Don't have one), and several for Android phones.

What you could do is ask those with HomePass to hit your router's MAC address, and connect to that under the "attwifi" SSID.

You won't get as many hits, but perhaps if other CAGs feel generous..

The most hits I get so far is 6 in the morning and 6 in the afternoon. I tried changing Mac during the day from the main but the green light never lights up.

Does anybody know how long a "break in" period would be on a 3DS XL?

I bought a Pokemon 3DS XL when they first came out.  Everything (that I remember) was great right out of the box.

Bought the Zelda 3DS XL.  My circle pad works fine...but it feels...a smidge rough?  Not silky smooth like my Pokemon unit does. 

I figured it may just need to be broken in, but at this point, I've nearly played through all of Zelda!  Doesn't seem to be improving. 

It's a minor annoyance.  If I didn't have the Pokemon unit to compare with, it possibly wouldn't be as noticeable.

Maybe this is due to having multiple systems, but I generally get one hit per MAC Address. Rarely do I get more than one at a time, though spoofing the actual Zones on the spreadsheet seems to work. 

[quote name="Sychophantom" post="11431621" timestamp="1389308395"]Maybe this is due to having multiple systems, but I generally get one hit per MAC Address. Rarely do I get more than one at a time, though spoofing the actual Zones on the spreadsheet seems to work. [/quote]

You mean those nintendo zones in Nyc? Never worked for me.

[quote name="Sychophantom" post="11432365" timestamp="1389323597"]There are a lot more than just NYC. I need to bring a tablet to my local zones and see if I can snag their mac addresses too. [/quote]

What is your process for cycling through the macs?

What is your process for cycling through the macs?
Manual, and I skip around. I only tend to do 20-30 when I'm online and actually sitting on the computer. I have an old Motorola router running DD-wrt and can't get any of the cycling scripts to work reliably, so I just do it myself. Sometimes I just do the official zones, sometimes the SPOOF set.

Depending on whether or not I shut the wireless off on the majority of my systems, I may do more or less. I was bulking most of them up for Warrior's Way, but got bored. (Still not buying the Mii Plaza games more than once, though if I snag a 2DS anytime soon, I might double-dip on that just because).

Tried to get my girlfriend to buy them on hers, but she barely empties her Steetpass queue out most of the time.

I might do a cycle tomorrow for Zelda ALBW hits, since I just picked that up earlier.

Yes I am learning the ropes too. I would let the streetpass green light appear. Check how many came, turn off wireless on 3ds. Change Mac, wait for a couple of minutes then flip the wireless on. Rinse and repeat. I normally get 6 from home pass Mac. Never a full 10.

I never turn the wireless switches off unless I'm only trying to inflate one plaza's Mii count. Just give it between 1-5 minutes after a fresh MAC change and the green light should flicker. 

Got all my units over 100 Miis per Plaza. I should have just fired up Mario Kart 7 in each one, but I was also fishing for pink puzzle pieces. 

56 Mac Addresses on a single unit. Quite surprised to get 6 hits at times in the Mii Plaza, but if there were 6 in the plaza already, I'd only get 2-3. Odd. 

50 Streetpass hits. A few repeats, but I filled the pink pieces for the Chibo-Robo puzzle with them.
0 Zelda
20 ACNL
35 Pokemon
10 SSFIV 3D (I guess the sale brought it back)
5 Freakyforms
40 Music player (Really?)

Surprised there's no Zelda love. Also very surprised that someone in Brazil likes Jane Child. Actually, surprised anyone remembers who Jane Child even was.     

My exbf and I use the music player Streetpass thing, and we try to get our friends with 3DSes to do it, but they're all a bunch of lamers who won't do it.

Exbf says that the first person who has a 100% match with him is who he's going to marry.

My exbf and I use the music player Streetpass thing, and we try to get our friends with 3DSes to do it, but they're all a bunch of lamers who won't do it.

Exbf says that the first person who has a 100% match with him is who he's going to marry.
I assume that's why he's the Ex lol

bread's done
Back