Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='Strell']Also, it looked like Jimmy Fallon wasn't even looking at the screen during that whole bit, in much the same way you can tell someone isn't playing a game in a movie/tv show when they just PRESSALLTHEBUTTONSREALLYFASTJUSTLIKETHISBECAUSETHEYARESOGOODATITOMG.[/QUOTE]

:D

[quote name='Droenixjpn']This just in Reggie said the 3DS might come out in 2010.[/QUOTE]

Source? I'd love to read that.

Re: Jimmy Fallon again

In the clip, Reggie asks Jimmy "Do you know Kid Icarus?" (Or something similar, anyway.) And Jimmy responds with "Yeah, this is the one where you get all the hearts!"

I was thinking about this comment, because everyone on the 'net assumed that "Oh that stupid Jimmy, he's thinking about Zelda." But now that I think about it, hearts are the currency in the KI games.

So this actually gives more credence to the idea that he knows a bit more about games that just the superficial understanding like most celebrities would be.

[quote name='Strell']Re: Jimmy Fallon again

In the clip, Reggie asks Jimmy "Do you know Kid Icarus?" (Or something similar, anyway.) And Jimmy responds with "Yeah, this is the one where you get all the hearts!"

I was thinking about this comment, because everyone on the 'net assumed that "Oh that stupid Jimmy, he's thinking about Zelda." But now that I think about it, hearts are the currency in the KI games.

So this actually gives more credence to the idea that he knows a bit more about games that just the superficial understanding like most celebrities would be.[/QUOTE]

I don't have any doubt he's a gamer. I mean, he acts a little goofy about it, but it sounds like a gamer trying to explain their hobby to people who don't typically play games.

I'm quite familiar with Super Paper Mario.

It is possible that none of this will happen though. It could be the case that for accessibility reasons, it will be mandated that your game must fully function at every position on the slider, which potentially puts 3D back to superficial visual gimmick status.

Time will tell.

[quote name='Strell']Re: Jimmy Fallon again

So this actually gives more credence to the idea that he knows a bit more about games that just the superficial understanding like most celebrities would be.[/QUOTE]

Well the majority of the "net" has probably never played Kid Icarus... Easy mistake.

On that note, where is the Eggplant wizard?

[quote name='foltzie']On that note, where is the Eggplant wizard?[/QUOTE]

There's a quick shot of him (and an Eggplant'd Pit) at the end of the Japanese trailer for Uprising. No clue why it was cut from the American one.

Wow, if the games can adjust based upon the slider, I think it would be awesome to have a 2D mario platformer, but when move the 3D slider, the camera could pan behind mario for more of a Mario 64 experience. That could open some kick ass gameplay elements, not to mention puzzles.

So does anyone know what Kid Icarus will be like? There better be some wicked dungeons like in the original. I remember drawing my own maps for that game.

You have hybrid levels, according to Sakurai. He said he made some prototype for a game where you'd fly around Starfox style, and then go to the ground to finish. This is usually how Nintendo makes new projects - a few people make some tiny thing and then it's decided whether or not to be made into a full project.

In the trailer, Palutena says she gives Pit the gift of flight, but that it can only last for five minutes before it'll give out. Then it shows him landing and fighting stuff with a third person shooter sort of feel. I'm thinking it's Starfox meets Gears of War, in a way.

[quote name='javeryh']That doesn't specifically say it will be strictly a shooter. I mean, there was shooting in the original (that's all you could do really besides jump). Hopefully they are just talking about the shooting mechanic that will be used in an adventure game. If it is strictly a shooter I'll pass and I'll be highly disappointed.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't appear to be strictly a shooter from my just re-watching the trailer. That appears to be the primary combat method, but the game does appear to have some exploration elements, at least at first glance. I agree with you that if it's only a shooter, I'll be quite disappointed, but something tells me the game will still be stellar.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']I've honestly just been following this blog for all my 3DS news and that's where I got the 3ds might be released in 2010 info.

http://nintendo3dsblog.com/[/QUOTE]

But anyways, although Reggie said the 3DS was coming in 2011 he apparently misspoke, according to Nintendo insiders. This essentially means the 3DS can’t be coming out next year (at least not in North America)…unless they truly haven’t decided the release date, but I doubt that’s the case.
This is some pretty poor logic, or at the very least completely ignorant of how PR usually runs.

Just came from an annual picnic Fourth of July celebration. The guy that runs it sells fireworks on the side, and regularly puts on a show that puts every thing else I've ever seen to shame.

All I'm saying is, seeing fireworks in 3D in a game would be pretty cool. Big Bang Mini 3DS, Animal Crossing, or even the castles at the end of a New Super Mario Bros level.

Which is to say, hope someone is getting on that.

I really hope Nintendo announces a release date and a price on this so I can preorder it over at Amazon. I want!!!

There goes my hope for a sex hole to be added in the final design.

Oh who am I kidding. I'll just have to make due. Painfully at first, probably.

Seeing better pics of the system, it's pretty ugly to be honest. In that fat, sharp kind of way the original DS was.
And I see now it's 3 colors instead of 2.... ugh.

Won't stop me from buying it though, but you know there will be a much sleeker one a couple years from launch.

I rather like the look of it, including the 3 color design, with a black top screen (I mean the plastic). It looks sharp to my eyes. I like the red/black combo.

On a different note, I'm a little concerned about the issue with young kids and the 3DS' display. Is this really sometime to be worried about? My youngest is 7, which is technically older then what they are talking about (5, I think it was), but how am I suppose to know that it really isn't an issue for his eyes? Sometimes this stuff proves inaccurate, and eyesight isn't something to mess around with.

[quote name='jaredstorm']I really hope Nintendo announces a release date and a price on this so I can preorder it over at Amazon. I want!!![/QUOTE]

Amazon has minuscule chance of having preorders fill out in more than 30 minutes

[quote name='J7.']IGN has learned that the Nintendo 3DS will pack not one, but two 266MHz ARM11 CPUs, along with a 133MHz GPU, 4MBs of dedicated VRAM, 64MBs of RAM, and 1.5GBs of flash storage. The information comes from persons familiar with the hardware who spoke to us under the condition of anonymity.
http://gear.ign.com/articles/112/1122613p1.html[/QUOTE]

I think the DS Lite/DSi had two CPUs as well, but they were half as powerful as what's in the 3DS.

I'm excited! Pretty sure that next week is when they'll be revealing more info about it. I can't remember the source on that. Anyone?

Really good specs for a portable. Only one possible downside.

Two if you count the storage depending how big downloads are.
I really hope they'll allow games to be played from the card slot, even in a Wii like fashion.

The specs are fine-I mean the DS is fine to run plenty of good games, as is the GBA-but they're not remarkable. The PSP came out in 2004/2005 and has two MIPS R4000 CPUs @ 333MHz...so two ARM 11s @ 266MHz 6 years later isn't exactly Earth shattering.

Remains to be seen how it stacks up though as the GPU could be better. On paper the GPU has a slightly lower fill rate than the PSP's though, while having more pixels to fill (because of the "3D"-effective resolution is slightly lower).

Wouldn't surprise me if it's more modern in other respects, but it's not a sure thing it outclasses in the PSP.

Uhhh, this thing is by far beyond the PSP. These Arm CPUs are much more advanced than the PSP specs. Comparing the clock speed only means nothing in this case.

It's ahead of Wii and Xbox in many respects. Also has a lot of modern shader ability.

I thought it would have had better specs...

and I dont need nintendo fanboys hating I am just saying that I honestly was expecting a lot more

EDIT: Then again I havent actually seen it play any games in person.....so just spec wise I am a little let down

[quote name='dallow']Uhhh, this thing is by far beyond the PSP. These Arm CPUs are much more advanced than the PSP specs. Comparing the clock speed only means nothing in this case. [/quote]

No they're not more advanced. ARM 11 is two generations behind ARM's current gen core. More to the point, it's a single issue in order core, 8-stage, probably 16 or 32KB cache. The MIPS R4000s used are also 8-stage, 32KB cache, and probably also single issue also (although I'm not 100% sure it's single issue).

It's ahead of Wii and Xbox in many respects.

How so? Nothing that's been released so far indicates it's as powerful as a PSP or PS2, let alone a Gamecube/Wii or Xbox.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']I thought it would have had better specs...[/quote]

I didn't, because it's Nintendo. When they released a DS against the PSP, and a Wii against an Xbox 360/Playstation 3, I thought it was far from a sure thing they'd outdo the PSP, even 6 years later.

Now it remains to be seen what the GPU can do-it might be fantastic and make it clear cut better-but basically in every spec we know so far it's the same or worse (although technically better in terms of RAM as the PSP while it has the same amount of RAM, developers can't count on it since the original model had half as much). Even with fill rate, the claimed numbers are 533 versus 664 on the PSP, and the PSP is drawing a lower resolution. (The 3DS' effective resolution is lower than the PSPs, but it's having to render more because of the '3D' effect.)

I think the numbers game is getting in the way of logic.

We've already seen bits if what the 3DS can do.
There is no way the PS2 could have pulled off RE Revelations without taking out most of the lighting and shader effects and a huge drop in framerate.

And was just a build made in a couple months.

I believe what is shown off in a weeks time will blow us away.

[quote name='dallow']I think the numbers game is getting in the way of logic.

We've already seen bits if what the 3DS can do. [/quote]

No we haven't. We've seen some visually unimpressive stuff from Nintendo, and some tech demos that look fine, but aren't full games.

It MAY be really great, but we've seen nothing to indicate that yet IMO.

In your opinion, I guess so.
Screens released since the E3 demos from Capcom and Tecmo for their games have looked very promising.

Yes, but we don't know what we're looking at. We saw some ridiculous tech demos for the Playstation 2 back in 1999. Doesn't mean full games can look as good. The actual (more or less) games we've seen don't look impressive. Better than DS, worse than high-end PSP.

And again, I'm not saying it's not going to be better-maybe that GPU is just astonishing and blows away the PSP's GPU-but based on the info we have right now we absolutely don't know that. In every regard it looks the same or worse-even when it comes to the GPU, which has a lower fill rate despite needing to fill close to double the pixels.

What we should do is not listen to the developers who have confirmed in house development and the graphical capability.

Yep.

The specs aren't that astronomical, but I can't say I expected them to be. Nintendo's never been the company to push the hardware envelope. Going for older underclocked hardware will allow them to keep the overall cost of the system lower and improve battery life.

As for developers confirming graphical capability...well, I never trust the word of someone who stands to make a buck. Every developer that's currently using the 3ds is also making games for it...so it's not like they're going to try to decrease 3DS sales by saying it sucks...they're going to try to hype the machine up to increase the potential userbase for their product.

[quote name='Salamando3000']
As for developers confirming graphical capability...well, I never trust the word of someone who stands to make a buck. Every developer that's currently using the 3ds is also making games for it...so it's not like they're going to try to decrease 3DS sales by saying it sucks...they're going to try to hype the machine up to increase the potential userbase for their product.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, although, one should note Wii developers were starting to kvetch rather openly about the "underpowered" nature of the system.

You could and probably should infer that the unit performs well enough, which combined with the 10-15 hour battery target is precisely what you want in a handheld device.

I won't take developers word nor images released from games in development. Let me judge it's true power when I get one in my hands and play a game in real time. Until then I take the specs as a ballpark figure. It's a nice step up from the DS and those who own DSi.

Did the DS even have a discrete GPU? I don't think it did but some claim it did. Looking at the current specs without having more info about them, from a memory and GPU standpoint it looks like 3DS could handle Gamecube level graphics at least in 2d mode, especially when it is filling a smaller space 800x240 + 320x240 compared to 640x480, with the 3DS 2nd screen not requiring as intensive processing.

In any case I am happy Nintendo does not push the technological envelope in terms of straight up graphics because it allows the hardware to be cheaper (though they seem to be stepping away from that a bit because they're able to), allows them to do something different, cheaper software, and a different experience than other devices. I goto PSP and Ipod for something different. All is good.

[quote name='J7.']Did the DS even have a discrete GPU? I don't think it did but some claim it did.[/quote]

Yeah, it's a custom GPU I guess so specs are hard to come by. Had some weird limitations and of course no texture filtering (although I don't know that that would have helped it much). Apparently also had two 2D engines that were more powerful than the one the GBA had, which probably makes them pretty competent.

I mean physically (especially at the end) they were probably part of the same chip, but...

Looking at the current specs without having more info about them, from a memory and GPU standpoint it looks like 3DS could handle Gamecube level graphics at least in 2d mode, especially when it is filling a smaller space 800x240 + 320x240 compared to 640x480, with the 3DS 2nd screen not requiring as intensive processing.

Just really hard to say right now. On paper about all we know is it has less fill rate than the PSP, and almost certainly has the same 4 pixel pipes, same as the Gamecube/Wii, PSP, and Xbox 1, since fill rate at a given clock speed is identical to the PSP (it's just clocked 33MHz slower). Also sounds like it's not programmable, which is the case for all those GPUs except the Xbox 1. Some documentation on that chip basically says you can emulate OpenGL 2.0 type features in a fixed function pipeline.

So...from what we know it seems bog standard for a last gen GPU (not that that's terrible for a handheld!), but who knows, there could be something fantastic about it or something. Unless there's something really amazing about it though...well, on paper so far it doesn't look like anything special next to the PSP or Gamecube/Wii GPUs.

[quote name='crunchewy']On a different note, I'm a little concerned about the issue with young kids and the 3DS' display. Is this really sometime to be worried about? My youngest is 7, which is technically older then what they are talking about (5, I think it was), but how am I suppose to know that it really isn't an issue for his eyes? Sometimes this stuff proves inaccurate, and eyesight isn't something to mess around with.[/QUOTE]

This is a concern of mine too. I guess my kids won't have one of these things for a while since my daughter is getting her first DSi tomorrow for her birthday but still. I'll probably get a 3DS eventually and they are going to want to play.

Oh great, is that an issue again? I remember that with the Virtual Boy. Unfortunately I figure this is going to be a big hit.

bread's done
Back