Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='UncleBob']Get the kid a 3DS... then, when you open it, read all the warnings about not letting kids under seven use 3D and decide it'd be best if he got your old DS Lite instead. ;)[/QUOTE]

That might actually work. I'm also not sure I even want a 3DS in the house - both my kids are under 7 and my son (who LOVES video games) will be under 7 for 3 more years. The temptation to play 3D games would be pretty great...

[quote name='Javery']So my wife tells me that she wants to buy my son a DS for his birthday in July. We already have a DS Lite (mine) and a DSi (my daughter's) in the house. I think he is too young for the 3D stuff so I'm going to get him the DSi (there's also no way in hell I'm spending $250+ games on a 4 year old and if you ask me the DSi is too much but whatever) but I'd like to parlay this into a 3DS for myself. C'mon CAGs, what is the best way to go about this? Giving him my used DS Lite for his birthday is lame so I need to get a DSi on the cheap, trade in my DS Lite and put that towards a 3DS... sounds pricey...[/QUOTE]

Buy him the 3DS. Now since he is only 4 years old, I am sure he wont be going on 8 hr gaming sessions so I am sure you will have time to enjoy it as well :lol:. Plus you have a DS Lite you can also give him for most of the time anyway. So maybe you can give him the DS Lite for full time use and make the 3DS combined use between you and your son.

Hey all - My 3DS will hopefully ship soon from Amazon. I was wondering which one(s) of the screen protectors is the static type without adhesive?

Thank you !

[quote name='Javery']So my wife tells me that she wants to buy my son a DS for his birthday in July. We already have a DS Lite (mine) and a DSi (my daughter's) in the house. I think he is too young for the 3D stuff so I'm going to get him the DSi (there's also no way in hell I'm spending $250+ games on a 4 year old and if you ask me the DSi is too much but whatever) but I'd like to parlay this into a 3DS for myself. C'mon CAGs, what is the best way to go about this? Giving him my used DS Lite for his birthday is lame so I need to get a DSi on the cheap, trade in my DS Lite and put that towards a 3DS... sounds pricey...[/QUOTE]

Buy the 3DS but with a firm warning that we are not buying any revisions of the console since its so expensive already, if you don't like this idea just simply wait. By the time your son gets old enough to play the 3DS the 3DS lite or super 3DS will be out (laughs) and he will want that one. So really, I would wait. The system has parental controls where you can totally lock out the 3D, however if you yourself want to play in 3D that could become cumbersome. Also there will still be the temptation to play in 3D from the kids since they may come and look over your shoulder and stuff, resulting in them seeing a screen that they shouldn't be seeing for health reasons. You would have to play it with the 3D on only when they are not around and even then as soon as they see the 3D logo they will want to play in 3D as well which would lead to constant nagging to play it in 3D.

I am not saying the 3D will damage the eyes but since Nintendo recommends against kids under 7 playing the 3DS I have to go with that.

It might be cheaper just to buy him his own used DS Lite or DSi, this way it doesn't seem lame like he is getting yours as a gift. Put it in a nice package so it looks good. You will lose too much on trade in values.. since trade in values are super low, you are paying $150 for a DSi and they are only giving you $75 at the most... seems like a REALLY bad deal to me. You should be able to source a cheap DS Lite or DSi from somewhere especially since everyone is selling theirs off for the 3DS. Yeah that means 3 systems in the house but considering what you are losing on trade in's its just the cheaper way to go.

[quote name='bmachine']If you guys want to add some awesome Miis to your MiiMaker, check out this thread at GAF: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425581

They've got QR codes for Iwata, Miyamoto, Reggie, Professor Layton, Gordon Freeman, Chuck Norris, Barack Obama, the entire cast of Arrested Development, and a lot more.[/QUOTE]

ok so I have like 3 miis in my wii plaza and I've never added other people. Will the QR codes work on the wii? I would love to add the cast of AD.

[quote name='yukine']Just got my 3DS from Amazon, now to decide whether I open or send it back?[/QUOTE]

Did you wait to long to cancel too? :D If so, same thing happened with me. I decided to keep it, and get rid of it if it gives me problems...but then I ain't too smart with money :lol:

[quote name='foltzie']Are the Nintendo ones "official"?[/QUOTE]

Yes? ;)

I believe that some of them (like the Reggie one) were sent to the gaming media from Nintendo with their review units.

[quote name='confoosious']ok so I have like 3 miis in my wii plaza and I've never added other people. Will the QR codes work on the wii? I would love to add the cast of AD.[/QUOTE]

No clue. That's way outside of my wheelhouse!

The Wii doesn't have a camera, does it? You'd probably have to get them onto your 3DS and then transfer them to the Wii.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Did you wait to long to cancel too? :D If so, same thing happened with me. I decided to keep it, and get rid of it if it gives me problems...but then I ain't too smart with money :lol:[/QUOTE]
Yup. :lol:

So yeah, opened it... the reason I am a bit hesitant to keep it is because I have so many games I bought brand new that I haven't even got around to playing (Dead Rising 2 for instance.) But damn, I can't resist a new DS, I was successful at avoiding the DSi and other reiterations at least. :lol:

I'm going to set the system up and post my FC in the appropriate thread. I only have Street Fighter so far though.

To be quite honest I avoided the DSi so much that I didn't even know it had a new menu and stuff... so this whole experience is going to be really new for me. Plus now I can experience the DSi Ware stuff!

Yeah, same here.

So I'm trying to enter my WPA2-PSK security key, but the 3DS doesn't allow symbols to be entered? I hope I am just doing something wrong, because that is quite the oversight by Nintendo.

[quote name='confoosious']ok so I have like 3 miis in my wii plaza and I've never added other people. Will the QR codes work on the wii? I would love to add the cast of AD.[/QUOTE]

I think I read that Mii transfers can only work in one direction so far (Wii-->3DS) because there are new elements in the 3DS Mii toolbox that aren't in the Mii Channel.

Something like that.

[quote name='Strell']Oh god we need a Metroid Prime title on this system FAST.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Who is that in your avatar?

Also, anyone feel they need to use the 3D, the more it's used?

And for anyone unsure about Steel Diver, here's what I think about it. I was interested in it when I saw the gameplay videos. And while the review scores were discouraging, there was nothing in the reviews that made not want it. So I went ahead and got it as it was the only title I had interest in. It's a game that takes advantage of the dual screen and touch screen. It just seemed like a type of game I would enjoy, I can't explain why though.

It has met my expectations nicely, though it does look like it is short. I'm interested to play each mission with all 3 subs, so that should lengthen it.

/\ I think the 3D aspect may have a slow burn and longer legs.. I find that the more I use it as well, the more and more I decide I really like it.

By the Holidays this year I bet this thing is rolling sales wise.

[quote name='SaraAB'] The system has parental controls where you can totally lock out the 3D, however if you yourself want to play in 3D that could become cumbersome. Also there will still be the temptation to play in 3D from the kids since they may come and look over your shoulder and stuff, resulting in them seeing a screen that they shouldn't be seeing for health reasons. [/QUOTE]

I just imagined his kids playing the 3DS with the 3D locked out. One day they come in to see their dad playing and the screen is popping out towards them. He'd be forever known as Warlock Dad.

[quote name='omster']I agree. Who is that in your avatar?
[/QUOTE]

I've always imagined Strell as a preppy mustached Japanese man, any other answer is unacceptable.

Also weird how a CAG who has been around since 03 is just now asking another CAG who has been around 03 about their avatar 8 years later :lol:. I guess now was the right time.

[quote name='Snake2715']I find that the more I use it as well, the more and more I decide I really like it.
[/QUOTE]

Same here, I can't turn the DS on without it. It's got to the point were I was watching the news and some onscreen graphics flew by and I was expecting them to be in 3D.

Where are people going to generate their Mii code? How are they getting them into system? The camera is reading them as a barcode on the 3DS?

I must ahve missed an entire section of info.

We need a FAQ for lesser known 3DS features like was run on the Wii...

[quote name='omster']I agree. Who is that in your avatar?[/QUOTE]

The guy from SMAP did a Mario Kart DS commercial. That's a screenshot of it.

[quote name='Mad D']Also weird how a CAG who has been around since 03 is just now asking another CAG who has been around 03 about their avatar 8 years later :lol:. I guess now was the right time.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, man. I asked Strell about his avatar years ago. :D

Also, after just playing around with the 3DS, CAG looks awful flat now. Shouldn't the buttons be 3D?

Does anyone know if the pedometer coins expire at the end of the day? I know you can't earn more than 10 coins a day but can I bank them if I don't use 'em?

[quote name='Snake2715']Where are people going to generate their Mii code? How are they getting them into system? The camera is reading them as a barcode on the 3DS?[/QUOTE]

In the Mii Maker there's an option to export your avatar as a QR code. You just need to save it to the memory card, pop the memory card into your computer, and then post it on CAG.

To add other people's Miis to your 3DS, just select "scan as QR code" in the Mii Maker and take a picture of their barcode.

Omster, I saw your request about the avatar a few days ago. I apologize for not responding to it. I actually was looking for the text file template I hate written up about it. :]

I will send you a message tonight with some fun details though. Real quick: It's part of the "Hot Mario Bros" campaign Nintendo ran for DS games when the Wifi connection got introduced. It was notably used with Mario Kart DS. Two guys dressed up like Mario and Luigi, and the commercials were comedic. One of them had the Mario shown in different countries, so there's a French Hot Mario, an Italian One, and an American one. Luigi is in Japan getting stomped by other countries. I'll send some more later, they are still amusing to this day.

[quote name='bmachine']Does anyone know if the pedometer coins expire at the end of the day? I know you can't earn more than 10 coins a day but can I bank them if I don't use 'em?[/QUOTE]
You can bank 'em.

[quote name='Mad D']I've always imagined Strell as a preppy mustached Japanese man, any other answer is unacceptable.

Also weird how a CAG who has been around since 03 is just now asking another CAG who has been around 03 about their avatar 8 years later :lol:. I guess now was the right time.

Same here, I can't turn the DS on without it. It's got to the point were I was watching the news and some onscreen graphics flew by and I was expecting them to be in 3D.[/QUOTE]

Funny thing is, I've done a trade with him too.

I feel the same about a normal screen too. My eyes are expecting it to be 3D, that for a second I think it is. This is a welcome surprise, as it seemed the internet consensus was that the 3D would be something to turn off after 5 mins.

[quote name='Strell']Omster, I saw your request about the avatar a few days ago. I apologize for not responding to it. I actually was looking for the text file template I hate written up about it. :]

I will send you a message tonight with some fun details though. Real quick: It's part of the "Hot Mario Bros" campaign Nintendo ran for DS games when the Wifi connection got introduced. It was notably used with Mario Kart DS. Two guys dressed up like Mario and Luigi, and the commercials were comedic. One of them had the Mario shown in different countries, so there's a French Hot Mario, an Italian One, and an American one. Luigi is in Japan getting stomped by other countries. I'll send some more later, they are still amusing to this day.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! My interest has recently come from an animated gif showing the guy in your avatar with some other guys and moustaches holding a DS. Moustache ds didn't work on google.

On another topic, be sure to keep your screen clear of dust everyone. A hard dust particle came between my screen the stylus and I felt it scratching my screen. It was like nails scratching a chalk board, except the sound was in my head. Sad day. :cry:

Man this is so nifty. I can't wait for the store thing to open so I can look through all of the old DSiware.

I love the blue. I'm glad I went with that over black. Got a bunch of goofy Miis from that GAF thread, the whole QR code thing is just fantastic. Applied my screen protector so I can calm down about scratches, hah. Now the only thing that will bother me is endless fingerprints. :[

[quote name='Rocko']Man this is so nifty. I can't wait for the store thing to open so I can look through all of the old DSiware.

I love the blue. I'm glad I went with that over black. Got a bunch of goofy Miis from that GAF thread, the whole QR code thing is just fantastic. Applied my screen protector so I can calm down about scratches, hah. Now the only thing that will bother me is endless fingerprints. :[[/QUOTE]

Just be careful about buying DSiWare. A lot of it is crap. Believe me; I know.

What GAF thread?

I received my screen protectors from DealExtreme today. Guess I should put one on the bottom screen at least.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Just be careful about buying DSiWare. A lot of it is crap. Believe me; I know.

What GAF thread?

I received my screen protectors from DealExtreme today. Guess I should put one of the bottom screen at least.[/QUOTE]
Really? Is there a thread for stand-out titles?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425581

I have two sets of original DS screen protectors from DX that I bought years ago, never used them. Too bad I didn't bring them to Gainesville with me. I basically bought a clean-and-store pack for $10 just for the screen protectors. It does come with 3 metal styluses and a microfiber cloth, though, so that's cool.

[quote name='xmrblondex']My streetpass isn't working even when I am right next to the other guy's 3ds. We've set it up and everything! I'm kind of bummed out.[/QUOTE]
Did you both update? Me and a friend had the same problem but then we updated to the first patch and it worked after that.

I also love the charging cradle. Since this thing has such abysmal battery life, it's really nice to just plop it down there whenever I'm not using it and it'll charge. No cords to bother with, and I'll always know where the system is, heh.

[quote name='Mad D']Did you both update? Me and a friend had the same problem but then we updated to the first patch and it worked after that.[/QUOTE]

we did try that. It still wasn't working. we left the systems on top of each other at work all day while in sleep mode. I gotta find someone else!

Got mine a few days ago. It feels very sturdy and the 3D is a neat trick. I'm looking forward to playing 3DS tiltles as well as the classics from the e-shop...DS titles, eh, not so much. I'll hold on to my DSi and DS lite for the DS games, since I'm not too happy with how they look on the 3DS.

Ah, only took three games to have someone quit on me in SFIV just as I was about to win. And, of course, I don't get credit for the win. Great.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Am I the only one here who got Nintendogs? I am, aren't I.[/QUOTE]

If I had to guess, yes. Maybe. I decided to pass on it this time since I hardly played with the first iteration.

[quote name='bmachine']Does anyone know if the pedometer coins expire at the end of the day? I know you can't earn more than 10 coins a day but can I bank them if I don't use 'em?

In the Mii Maker there's an option to export your avatar as a QR code. You just need to save it to the memory card, pop the memory card into your computer, and then post it on CAG.

To add other people's Miis to your 3DS, just select "scan as QR code" in the Mii Maker and take a picture of their barcode.[/QUOTE]

Sweet thanks. Probably more stuff from the manual!

[quote name='xmrblondex']My streetpass isn't working even when I am right next to the other guy's 3ds. We've set it up and everything! I'm kind of bummed out.[/QUOTE]

Wifi on on both?

bread's done
Back