Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

On the subject of DSiware, the puzzle games end up being the best titles, generally in the Art Style series. Pictobits is a lot of fun. Everyone seems to have different opinions on the others - I love Base 10, but I doubt anyone else as much as me. Same with Aquia. Digidrive is a port of the Bit Generations title, and it can be mesmerizing once you understand it.

Shantae gets a lot of love, but I personally wasn't thrilled with it. It's a nice Metroidvania, and the graphics are amazing, and even the gameplay is good. It just feels a little flat. I would recommend it but it heavily depends on how much you enjoy the genre.

I didn't try Dark Void Zero, but it got a lot of praise for its nostalgic feel. It is very short last I heard.

Ivy the Kiwi mini is good fun and adorable, but it's another love-or-hate thing.

Trajectile and Starship Defense are fairly simple derivatives of their genres, but highly polished (as they come from Q? games, who are primarily known for the Pixeljunk series and Dylan Cuthbert, who worked on Star Fox).

This reminds me - X-SCAPE is a pretty great oldschool first person mech game. Think Battlezone. It has a very slick look and is all futuristic-y.

There's a series of games on the service called GG or GO or something; they are all very small and simple but are supposed to be fairly good.

Overall the service is pretty weak. The portable VC will help round it out. I'd love to find out Nintendo is working on a way to transfer Wiiware/VC titles from system -> portable so I could enjoy things on the go, but that's really wishing.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Am I the only one here who got Nintendogs? I am, aren't I.[/QUOTE]

Being that the French Bulldog has huskies in it, I'll grab it at some point. If another sale happens anytime soon, it'll end up being this and/or SSFIV.

[quote name='62t']I got this for DS Lite and DSi and never have to worry about figure print

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264497&page=99

Still prefer the DSi material as it doesn't get any figure print on it.[/QUOTE]

I was curious what you were trying to link to, but it's just going to this thread.

Does anyone have a list of DS games that had additional features for a DSi ? I'm curious to see if any of the DSI enchanced games are worth picking up now that I have a 3DS.

[quote name='xmrblondex']My streetpass isn't working even when I am right next to the other guy's 3ds. We've set it up and everything! I'm kind of bummed out.[/QUOTE]

A buddy of mine at work bought a 3DS and we walked past each other and nothing happened. Checked again maybe 10min later and it worked. I think it takes a little bit to process.

The StreetPass feature is awesome. It makes me want to walk around in public and see if I can catch someone. It is like a gamer scavenger hunt, heh. The only problem is I've only been able to catch three people (one person I actually know and work with) so it is kind of a rare occurance.

[quote name='KingDox']Does anyone have a list of DS games that had additional features for a DSi ? I'm curious to see if any of the DSI enchanced games are worth picking up now that I have a 3DS.[/QUOTE]

Pokemon Black/White supports WPA wifi so I guess you can call that an additional feature.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Am I the only one here who got Nintendogs? I am, aren't I.[/QUOTE]

Not according to Amazon, but I doubt we're the usual Nintendogs audience. Granted as I have a cat already so I think paying attention to a virtual one may annoy.

[quote name='Rocko']Does everyone else's top screen kind of wiggle a bit when locked into place?[/QUOTE]

Mine does a little bit, but not enough to where it becomes an issue.

[quote name='KingDox']Does anyone have a list of DS games that had additional features for a DSi ? I'm curious to see if any of the DSI enchanced games are worth picking up now that I have a 3DS.[/QUOTE]

There were only a few games that were DSi-exclusive, if that's what you mean. One was System Flaw, and another was Foto Showdown. I actually just played Foto Showdown, and it's on my tradelist now. It was pretty fairly rated and was the only DSi-exclusive game I was interested in. I'm going to mess with it in a bit to see if it works on the 3DS. It uses the camera, and since the 3DS camera is different, I'm interested to see how/if it'll work.

Edit: It works. Looks like DSi-exclusives are good to go on the 3DS.

[quote name='foltzie']Not according to Amazon, but I doubt we're the usual Nintendogs audience. Granted as I have a cat already so I think paying attention to a virtual one may annoy.[/QUOTE]

I guess perhaps it's more adorable to me, as I have no pets.

Also, things like racing, sports, or fighting games just aren't my cup of tea. Maybe it's a girl thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
i got Nintendogs golden retriever coming from goozex and i have no 3ds yet, but will get one in may for the release of kid icarus uprising and resident evil. maybe they will have the e-shop by then

[quote name='Strell'] Digidrive is a port of the Bit Generations title, and it can be mesmerizing once you understand it.
[/QUOTE]

I may have to try that out again. I could never understand it and it didn't that help the manual was in japanese. I don't think there's ever been a game that I could not understand the concept like Digidrive.

I said the Art Style games are on a one-by-one basis at least. I never got into others beyond Base 10 and AQUIA that much, and no one else tried Base 10, so I love lamp.

[quote name='Strell']I said the Art Style games are on a one-by-one basis at least. I never got into others beyond Base 10 and AQUIA that much, and no one else tried Base 10, so I love lamp.[/QUOTE]

I liked Base 10, but I couldnt make it more than a few levels in, and I loved Pictobits.

I would say these could use demos, but at $2, meh, what are you going to lose.

[quote name='dallow']I just really loved Boxlife. It's ingenious.[/QUOTE]

Ahhhhh boxlife. What a great, great, great game. Such great puzzles, really interesting pixel work and a pretty damn sweet theme song to wrap it all up. Kind of a shame that the concept was fleshed out completely in just one game but it was oh so sweet while it lasted.

No, I know I've seen someone else from CAG playing it in the Friends List, but I don't remember who. I was torn between Nintendogs and Street Fighter, and went with SF since it's supposed to be kinda noob-friendly and I wasn't sure if I'd be into Nintendogs. Maybe if they ever made a pet rat edition, I'd be more into it.

[quote name='Mad D']Nyco Power Pack+ battery review

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...ber-testing-nykos-third-party-3ds-battery.ars

It pretty much doubles the 3DS battery life with everything on and with max settings. Cost $20, I might pick one up eventually.[/QUOTE]

Interesting...but I just hate the idea of looking at my 3DS "altered" physically like that. Methinks we'll see even better battery packs in the near future. Maybe even in the original battery's size. Just thinking aloud.

I'm going to catch whoever plays Doki Doki Majo Shinpan 3DS, whenever that happens. I hope there's a screencap utility by then.

So the latest theory is that wifi issues cause the black screen.

Happened to me for the first time 20 minutes into a battle in Ghost Recon.......... ugh.
People say that with Wifi off it doesn't happen to them. I'm going to try at least with this game since it's the Ubisoft titles that seem to suffer most often.

EDIT: Also, Ghost Recon is really really really good.

Actually, I got it my self, the Golden Retriever one. Its a fun game for my fiancée to play lol :D I guess that doesn't help matters, eh? :p

So, shocker of the day, but Pokemon Black supports WPA connection. That is fucking bad-ass because I don't have WEP open on my router. I tested this by trying MKDS and it wouldn't pick up but Pokemon Black would. Which is fine by me, its the only one I want to play online on the old-school DS.

I have the French Bulldog one. I got this and Monkey Ball.
I thought about getting Street Fighter but I'm not much on fighting games anymore. I'll probably get Bustamove when I can find it cheap.
I can't wait for Paper Mario and Animal Crossing.

[quote name='omster'] Moustache ds didn't work on google.[/QUOTE]

Oh my god this made me laugh far more than it had any right to.

It also yielded this picture:

tumblr_lhwtsxZaDS1qewacoo1_500_thumb.jpg

I am SO tempted to get a launch title, but, I must resist. The CAG in me says they aren't worth it... They aren't worth it! ;).

By the way, here's what a cat looks like in Face Raiders. It pretty successfully made her look "mad" as it was a fairly neutral looking picture (if anything, she looked a bit surprised in the original picture). But as you can see it found the eyes/mouth and added human-like expressions to them. Pretty cool - I can't wait to see what people can do with this sort of thing in full games.

[quote name='io']I am SO tempted to get a launch title, but, I must resist. The CAG in me says they aren't worth it... They aren't worth it! ;).[/QUOTE]

You're not alone. :D Another reason here is that I have too many DS games that need to be taken care of first. I don't mind waiting until either DOA: Dimensions or Legend of Zelda: OOT comes out. Unless a killer bargain turns up sooner than expected...

[quote name='Batcave Dweller']Interesting...but I just hate the idea of looking at my 3DS "altered" physically like that. Methinks we'll see even better battery packs in the near future. Maybe even in the original battery's size. Just thinking aloud.[/QUOTE]

Nyko is doing a good job capitalizing on early adopters and the lack of other options. I also would rather not warp my 3DS, nor do I want to spend extra on a different cradle.

I'm sure more options will be coming soon. An extended battery is a much-needed accessory.

[quote name='M-PG71C']Actually, I got it my self, the Golden Retriever one. Its a fun game for my fiancée to play lol :D I guess that doesn't help matters, eh? :p[/QUOTE]

Girls love it. What can I say. I was cooing at my little dachshund last night. Thought my first dog would be a shiba, but the dachshund just looked so happy, I had to adopt him.

It took less than 5 minutes of playing with Nintendogs last night before I slapped new screen protectors on the bottom screen. I scratched the screen on my original DS playing Nintendogs, and I could just see it happening again.

I must say, I did a great job this time with the shower method of application. I've done it before, but the screen protector went on really great with no bubbles this time. Maybe it helps putting the protector on while the system is still new and hasn't accumulate much dusty, linty bits.

So... what's the deal with 3D photos? What exactly does the 3DS support in terms of file extensions? I grabbed the pin-up photos and they're okay I guess...

Can I just throw any 3D photo onto the 3DS? I'm guessing it doesn't do .jpg, .png and the like... The pin-ups were some random extension I've never seen before. Is there a proprietary 3DS extension?

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Can I just throw any 3D photo onto the 3DS? I'm guessing it doesn't do .jpg, .png and the like... The pin-ups were some random extension I've never seen before. Is there a proprietary 3DS extension?[/QUOTE]

Just a partial answer here. I only recall seeing one extension for the above set of 3D photos - the MPO extension. Multi-Picture Object and it's not something proprietary from Nintendo but from Fujifilm (cameras).

I'd love to get my hands on any image-editing app that supports MPO (no official plug-in for Photoshop) but I can't picture how one would edit such images on a 2D monitor... I'd love to come up with some 3D anime pics...

Last edited by a moderator:
an editor would probably display each picture side by side.. kinda like how the thumbnails for the 3d youtube videos look before you click them

I really like that Nyko battery. I'm kind of considering it TBH. It might look a little frankenstein-ish on my blue 3DS, sure, but not only does it last longer, but the rubberized finish and the extra bulk might both turn out being better for my larger hands.

Took my 3DS out for its first StreetPass trip to the food store with SSFIV3DE and............not one bite. -_-

Got 6 game coins from walking around, though.

I would have brought my 3DS out with me today to see if I got any streetpasses, but it was pouring rain all day.

I'm hoping that being at a 50,000-student university will give me better odds to find a Mii or two in my travels.

I just realized the 3D effect doesn't really apply when the 3DS is held sideways. So I'm guessing there may not be as many games in the future that will use this particular orientation compared to what we saw in the DS/DSi generation.

Ironically while I don't like "3D", I like that it's taking out other stuff I don't like...holding the system sideways, touch control, motion control :lol:

[quote name='foltzie']I'm finding the 1000 steps a bit restricting. I almost walk that many steps from my car to the office...[/QUOTE]I agree. In nice weather I walk about a mile or so a day. Racking up the daily allotment of 10 game coins under those conditions is no sweat, LITERALLY! Nintendo should raise the daily amount to a more reasonable 25 coins.

Nintendogs is really cute, but I forgot how the game is meant to be played it little increments. Good thing I have a little backlog of DS games to play. I don't mind how they look on the 3DS. I know there's a little crispness lost, but it's not really that bad.

There's an image of a growling dog in this collection that pops right out of the screen. Great image to show around to any of the naysayers that don't believe the 3DS can make images appear to come out of the screen. It can take a while to focus on it just right though, so try moving the 3DS closer/further tilt a bit or just stare at it long enough until you see it.

http://www.1038.fr/3ds-nintendoleague/compilNL.zip

bread's done
Back