Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Played through the MGS3 demo and it works fine, but unless they have some huge unannounced feature like the return of the original MGO, I find it hard to want to pay $40 for just MGS3 when I just got 2, 3, and Peace Walker for $30 and can get that collection for Vita at some point if I want portable MGS games.[/QUOTE]

Good point, but it's MGS3 in 3D(ooh).

I really wonder how this game will fare with reviewers when the controls are such a struggle without the other circle pad. I got spotted 3 times without realizing it and sure as shit couldn't fight back without blind cqc button mashing. The bridge tilt was annoying/FRUSTRATING too, among other things.

Definitely viva la vita(2 analog nubs), whatever that means.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Yeah, as soon as they announced Metal Gear Collection for Vita, I knew I was skipping out on the 3DS version. Even if the charge the "premium" price for the collection we're talking $10 more than the 3DS version of Snake Eater alone. Granted the Vita version won't be in 3D but I'll take 2 extra games over 3D any day of the week.[/QUOTE]
Plus, you get dual-stick controls without needing to buy an accessory, so it's odd how KojiPro's walked into a catch-22 with these two games.

The 3D in Snake Eater is weird, as first-person gun controls constantly switches you between 2D and 3D depending on whether you're aiming a gun or now, which is really jarring. As somebody who's played Snake Eater before, the controls are fine, though I prefer first-person mode for weapons whenever possible since it's more precise.

[quote name='johnnypark']MK7 has more replayability between online and ghost data via both Spotpass and Streetpass. I'm through the first 2 chapters of RE:R though and I'm really enjoying it, it feels like a return to form for the series. It has far less replayability, though, so $40 is a bit steep unless you burn through it and then re-sell.[/QUOTE]

RE:R def has replayability in Raid mode. 20 missions co-op, plus unlocking and leveling up, plus unlocking hardcorde modes for single player and raid mode. I have sunk about 10 hours into single player and 3 hours into raid mode so far. Feels great game

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Plus, you get dual-stick controls without needing to buy an accessory, so it's odd how KojiPro's walked into a catch-22 with these two games.[/QUOTE]

This isn't really something that's exclusive to Kojima games though. Super Street Fighter IV came out for 3DS last year at launch, roughly a week after it came out they announced the AE DLC for the Console versions, and said it won't happen for the 3DS version, and hasn't, even in retail form. Then right before Revelations comes out, they announced 6 for 360 and PS3 (and presumably Wii U).

Companies seemingly have this thing against games on Nintendo systems and constantly try to deflate hype for them by announcing new, shinier projects. It might be coincidence, but it happens a lot.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']If you still haven't downloaded The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition for free from the eShop, that offer will expire on 2/20.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for this. Just purcahsed my 3DS last week and didnt realize this was still available.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']If you still haven't downloaded The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition for free from the eShop, that offer will expire on 2/20.[/QUOTE]

Friendly reminder.

Playing the demo, I wouldn't even contemplate playing MGS3D without the CPP. The normal controls just don't have the finesse that the game requires.

The thing I hate the most about the MGS3D demo is the previously mentioned 3D/2D switch-off when you go into first person mode. It's jarring, and my eyes don't adjust as quickly as I'd like. It's a shame, too, since the game has gorgeous 3D... but that switching 3D/2D thing really has me contemplating just waiting for the Vita version.

It'd make sense for later on in the game for it to shut off in first person, but not early on.

Also, only a few more hours until Four Swords Anniversary is taken off the eShop and DSiWare.

[quote name='KingBroly']It'd make sense for later on in the game for it to shut off in first person, but not early on.[/QUOTE]
It makes sense because to aim down a sight, you have to close one eye.

Question: purchased my 3DS from newegg and received it last week. Love it. My only issue is when the screen is flipped open, the top screen seems to wobble just a tad. Never experienced that with my DS lite.

Anyone else have this issue or should I get a replacement?

Also, I plan on purchasing Excite bike. Are these tied to the system like the Wii?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, games are attached to the system, but you can transfer licenses up to 5 times, unlike the Wii. The only problem is you need to have both 3DS systems on you to perform the license transfer.

[quote name='UndyingForce']Question: purchased my 3DS from newegg and received it last week. Love it. My only issue is when the screen is flipped open, the top screen seems to wobble just a tad. Never experienced that with my DS lite.
[/QUOTE]
The DSi XL was the same way. I believe it's supposed to be like that, don't remember the reasoning.

I know this is NOT the right spot, but I want to give this exposure to people who may be interested.

Does anyone have Resident Evil Revelations and is willing to trade it? I have many factory sealed Playstation 3 games, sealed iPod shuffle, etc for trade! :whistle2:D

[quote name='Andami']Yes, games are attached to the system, but you can transfer licenses up to 5 times, unlike the Wii. The only problem is you need to have both 3DS systems on you to perform the license transfer.[/QUOTE]

Stuff will transfer if you have to send something for repairs. Having a Club Nintendo account does help. Also, later this year Wii will get a firmware upgrade and/or an App that will allow you to transfer stuff to Wii U. I imagine it will work the same way. Both systems, internet required.

[quote name='200STM']Did any pony got an official reggie swampnote note he even talked in it I wonder whats happening today?[/QUOTE]

If you're awake at 6am PST, you can go here for a presentation about...well, no one's really sure. Nintendo of Japan had their presentation around 3am PST and they had extended looks at already known, upcoming 3DS games and then teased some new ones, which you can read about here.

Does anyone have the Japanese swapnote exclusive stationary backgrounds: New Years, Nintendo Direct?

I am also looking for the European swapnote exclusive stationary background: The Legend of Zelda

I would love if someone could send me a note with each of them...

From the MGS3D demo screens.

"Giant Anaconda catpured alive Not eaten yet. Taste unknown." - it looks like a big turd, a dangerous turd. Taste unknown? how about...yeah, there's a reason for that.

Mario Tennis looks cool. Especially with the touchscreen to pick shots.

I can't play anymore ghost recon. Is there another turn based strategy game (or even close) coming out for the 3ds?

[quote name='confoosious']Mario Tennis looks cool. Especially with the touchscreen to pick shots.

I can't play anymore ghost recon. Is there another turn based strategy game (or even close) coming out for the 3ds?[/QUOTE]

isnt shin tesimi overclocked devil shadow thingy a turn based stragety game? it got good reviews and it seems to be hard to find in stores.

[quote name='UndyingForce']Question: purchased my 3DS from newegg and received it last week. Love it. My only issue is when the screen is flipped open, the top screen seems to wobble just a tad. Never experienced that with my DS lite.

[/QUOTE]

I have the same thing with my launch 3DS and surprisingly the RE:R case stops the wobbling completely.

[quote name='confoosious']ooooh i just saw Fire Emblem is coming out in April!

... but only in Japan. Son of a ...[/QUOTE]

Patience...good things come to those who wait...or so they say.

Also, I plan on purchasing Excite bike. Are these tied to the system like the Wii?[/QUOTE]

Same here. I think that is one of the "known issues" with most of the 3DS systems. Also, the bottom screen leaves vertical lines on the top screen and having to press power more than once to turn on. There may be a few other issues but I can't recall.

[quote name='confoosious']Mario Tennis looks cool. Especially with the touchscreen to pick shots.

I can't play anymore ghost recon. Is there another turn based strategy game (or even close) coming out for the 3ds?[/QUOTE]

I'm waiting for the right strategy game to come by too. Fire Emblem isn't my type. I'm looking more for Advance Wars.

Now all they need to do is announce it's in development.

I am glad I bought a Nintendo 3DS the only thing I regret is not getting a pink one to match my mane. I am kinda bummed bout my hinge being flappy and the screen marks but as long as my console works and doesnt look like shit I'm fine.

[quote name='100xp']isnt shin tesimi overclocked devil shadow thingy a turn based stragety game? it got good reviews and it seems to be hard to find in stores.[/QUOTE]

I'm not good at classifications but it's too much RPG based on what I'm looking for. I don't know if that makes sense.

[quote name='omster']I'm waiting for the right strategy game to come by too. Fire Emblem isn't my type. I'm looking more for Advance Wars.

Now all they need to do is announce it's in development.[/QUOTE]

Have you played Shadow Wars? It's fantastic. I've played through it twice and I don't usually do that.

[quote name='200STM']I am glad I bought a Nintendo 3DS the only thing I regret is not getting a pink one to match my mane...[/QUOTE]

Fluttershy wouldn't care about anything matching any part of her lol!

I wonder if any of the newer 3DS systems suffer from these issues?

[quote name='200STM']I am glad I bought a Nintendo 3DS the only thing I regret is not getting a pink one to match my mane. I am kinda bummed bout my hinge being flappy and the screen marks but as long as my console works and doesnt look like shit I'm fine.[/QUOTE]

Fluttershy wouldn't care about anything matching any part of her lol!

I wonder if any of the newer 3DS systems suffer from these issues?

[quote name='SKEETER']Fluttershy wouldn't care about anything matching any part of her lol!

I wonder if any of the newer 3DS systems suffer from these issues?[/QUOTE]

my red 3ds has a much tighter hinge than my launch black 3ds. I didn't notice a screen marking issue with either one.

[quote name='confoosious']my red 3ds has a much tighter hinge than my launch black 3ds. I didn't notice a screen marking issue with either one.[/QUOTE]

I've had my 3DS since launch, and mine is starting to do the screen marking. Really annoying.

[quote name='200STM']I am glad I bought a Nintendo 3DS the only thing I regret is not getting a pink one to match my mane. I am kinda bummed bout my hinge being flappy and the screen marks but as long as my console works and doesnt look like shit I'm fine.[/QUOTE]

if you get the clear case from walmart or wherever you buy these things it reinforces the hinge a gives it some support. it definitely feels much better plus it's a clear case for about $9.

So are we getting a top down 3D original Zelda or what? I really hope they don't continue with Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks - easily the worst Zeldas ever. I'd even settle for remakes of LttP, LA, OoA or OoS (in 1 cart, of course).

i actually really liked Phantom Hourglass.. but I don't need more it. I've been 'playing' Spirit Tracks for over a year and just never really feel like sitting down with it. I'm good on that.

I would literally kill for a 3d version of LTTP. eShop would be preferred. I wouldn't even balk at paying up to maybe $15 for it.. I just love that game so much.

[quote name='Javery']So are we getting a top down 3D original Zelda or what? I really hope they don't continue with Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks - easily the worst Zeldas ever. I'd even settle for remakes of LttP, LA, OoA or OoS (in 1 cart, of course).[/QUOTE]

I hated Skyward Sword even more, but man did I...well, actually Spirit Tracks I had fun with until towards the end when I gave up, but the Zelda series needs serious help. I REALLY don't like the developer doing it.

The Jungle Beat team that's handling Mario somehow manages to make their games:

1) Feel like real Mario (Mario 64 and Sunshine don't IMO)

2) Feel fresh, like you're playing it for the first time.

Pulling off either of those, let alone both is ASTONISHING. I don't think the Jungle Beat team gets half the credit they deserve for it.

Heck, I'd be interested in what they, or Retro or something would do with Zelda. Just take it away from the current team. As many problems as I had with Twilight Princess, it was brilliant IMO compared to Skyward Sword. They don't even know what's wrong, so can't possibly fix it, and the games are too hard, too fetch quest-y, too linear, too stale, all at the same time...oh, and they control horribly now too (thanks motion controls!)

Just please Nintendo, give that to someone else and let the Zelda team make...I don't know, Pokemon or Wii Fit or something I don't care about.

EDIT: It's pathetic that the most realistic hope I have for another good zelda game...would be a remake of Wind Waker. 3DS probably can't handle a port, but Wii U or whatever, I guess... At this point, as boring as that sounds, I'd be far more interested in it than that team coming out with yet ANOTHER Zelda like they have been.

Hell, give it to Obsedian! Yeah....THAT might be good...

I agree on everything you just said about the Zelda franchise. It needs serious help.

Side note: I'd LOVE a Wind Waker remake on WiiU or the 3DS if they went back and:

1. made the ocean slightly smaller
2. added the Water and Fire temples like I think was the original plan;
3. Make it harder (have enemies do more damage and make hearts scarcer); and
4. spread out the Triforce shard hunting quest so you find maybe one piece in between each dungeon. The idea was good but the execution and placement in the overall game were terrible.

Other than that, I think Wind Waker is the best 3D Zelda to date.

I am making a guess on this but I remember reading somewhere on the internets that Nintendo was working on remaking A LINK TO THE PAST by redoing the whole game in cell similar to phantom hour glass/wind waker. I think its rumored but that would be so amazing to enjoy Link to the Past with wind waker style graphics.... Stay away from my Shed okay.....

Here's what Zelda needs to do:
Get rid of the '2 or 3 dungeons, then something happens + more dungeons' formula that every console Zelda has used since LttP. The Zelda formula needs a desperate change of pacing. In every game that people bitch about for Zelda, this is its' main problem. Zelda can still be Zelda without this structure. It's old and is probably everyone's main complaint despite being able to correctly identify it.

So I picked up Resident Evil: Revelaitons yesterday, and I'm through Chapter 3. It's pretty good so far. It's a lot more Resident Evil 4 meets Resident Evil 1 than Resident Evil 4 meets shit like 5 was. A couple of complaints though: They really should have split up the Chapters into different ones, or split the game into 2 separate campaigns, even though the pacing is really good in both. I am also think that it's not a good handheld game. A handheld game I can play for 15-20 minutes and feel satisfied with it. With this, I feel that if I stop mid-chapter, I'm missing out. So I'm kind of forcing myself to finish each chapter in a single sitting, and sometimes it's frustrating.

[quote name='100xp']if you get the clear case from walmart or wherever you buy these things it reinforces the hinge a gives it some support. it definitely feels much better plus it's a clear case for about $9.[/QUOTE]

I have a Hori clear protector case on my launch day black 3DS and it still wobbles :cry:

[quote name='SKEETER']I have a Hori clear protector case on my launch day black 3DS and it still wobbles :cry:[/QUOTE]

From Walmart.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/CTA-Nintendo-3DS-Crystal-Case-3DS-Nintendo-3DS/16489863

looks flimsy at first but once you pop in the 3DS it makes nice and the reinforces the hinge. $9.96 seems like wtf it's just plastic, but it's worth it. Plus if you feel freaky you can decorate it with stickers on the outside or put a picture of your favorite character/model/mascot inside.

[quote name='100xp']...Plus if you feel freaky you can decorate it with stickers on the outside or put a picture of your favorite character/model/mascot inside.[/QUOTE]

I'll check out the Walmart case, thanks!

I made a sweet custom skin on GelaSkins of Phoenix Wright Vs. Professor Layton and put the Hori clear case over it :D

While I'd love a new Zelda, I'd sadly be more pumped for a 3D version of LttP, MM, or WW. Lately Zelda has not been up to par. Phantom Hourglass was pretty good other than the Temple of the Ocean King, Spirit Tracks was borderline unplayably bad, and I had to force myself to go back and finish Skyward Sword.

Skyward Sword at least tried to shake up the order of the gameplay and have "dungeons" that didn't feel like dungeons (the large open areas between dungeons) but lost soooooo much of what makes Zelda great. It had piss poor exploration (the friggin sky was 100X worse than WW's Ocean. At least WW had stuff to find in the giant ocean), only 3-4 "areas", linear dungeons, (mostly) boring items, and controls that were impressive when the worked, but almost never worked. It also had the least memorable music in the entire console series.

Sorry, I'll stop ranting, and instead start praying for a 3DS remake :D

[quote name='KingBroly']
So I picked up Resident Evil: Revelaitons yesterday, and I'm through Chapter 3. It's pretty good so far. It's a lot more Resident Evil 4 meets Resident Evil 1 than Resident Evil 4 meets shit like 5 was. A couple of complaints though: They really should have split up the Chapters into different ones, or split the game into 2 separate campaigns, even though the pacing is really good in both. I am also think that it's not a good handheld game. A handheld game I can play for 15-20 minutes and feel satisfied with it. With this, I feel that if I stop mid-chapter, I'm missing out. So I'm kind of forcing myself to finish each chapter in a single sitting, and sometimes it's frustrating.[/QUOTE]

I agree completely. Although I think the chapter pacing suits a handheld well, because I can finish a chapter and put it down for a bit without feeling lost when I return to it, the chapters are on the long side for the format. Compared to a more traditional game, though, it works, and it feels like an essentially console experience between the excellent graphics and the production value.

I really loved the RE1 port to the DS, but RE:R shows how much better they can do RE on a portable.

I didn't like the RE1 port. Graphics weren't as good, but mainly just it didn't have the 'easy' mode which I think is actually the normal mode, which is what the game actually plays right on IMO.

It's so weird the PSP never got one...actually this IS the PSP game, but you know what I mean.

Booted it up the other night just to get a look at it (I love RE, so I'll be saving it for later), and while graphically it's no Resident Evil 4, or 1 Remake for that matter, it still looks fine from what I could see. Control and gameplay seemed great, from my brief time with it.

The extra stick is on backorder, so who knows if my order will ever go through or not (probably lost $20...) but honestly for this game I might actually prefer the normal controls anyway.

I'm surprised that quite a few of you disliked phantom hourglass/spirit tracks. I enjoyed both, but my had trouble at the time blowing into the mic on spirit tracks. I had a terrible case of sinusitus and would hack and cough like crazy when trying to do it. But I persevered!

I would love a remake of LTTP. It's still a beautiful game, just imagine it cleaned up and in 3D.

So Japanese 3DS owners got a SpotPass Mii in their StreetPass Plaza today: Gold Pants Iwata. He's Level 5 and has all the Puzzles. The occassion is the 3DS' 1 year anniversary in Japan.

I'm guessing that in a month we'll have a Gold Pants Reggie with the same stats. It seems like early April would be a good time to have a Street Pass Day.

bread's done
Back