Nintendo DSi and DSi XL Out Now. "3DS" Showing at E3

[quote name='saunderscowie']$169.99 = £118.35

So where the hell die Nintendo get £150 for a DSi in the UK from?

They're just totally ripping us off because they know they can. They know it's going to sell a TONNE.

Oh not too keen on the blue either.[/QUOTE]

There are a lot of expenses in getting a product on the shelves in the UK and most of the EU that are much lower for US products. The current administration is looking to fix that.

So apparently something I've been wanting about the DSi has apparently turned out to be true. It would seem the DSi is a bit more of a viable and competent music player. Slightly. Check this: http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/02/18/30-minutes-with-the-american-nintendo-ds-i/

The DSi also supports playback of music files off of the SD card and will play these songs back even if you close the system, as long as headphones are plugged in.

Brilliant. Just like a PSP. Since the headphone jack actually has the mic port there, I wonder if Nintendo can actually create a small remote to control playback, just like an iPod?

The WarioWare DSiWare game is called WarioWare Snapped.

Yeah, there's still that caveat. I'm willing to deal with that. I'm hopeful for a firmware update to play MP3s though.

[quote name='Nohbdy']Yeah, there's still that caveat. I'm willing to deal with that. I'm hopeful for a firmware update to play MP3s though.[/QUOTE]

It's safe to say that it won't happen. MP3 is a proprietary format, with licensing fees and the like. AAC has no licensing costs and is a superior format to MP3 from a technical perspective, and conversion only takes a few seconds per song.

[quote name='Nohbdy']So what bitrate would I use when converting?[/QUOTE]

128 or 256. When I rerip my CDs I'm going to opt for 256, that is the bitrate for songs coming from iTunes Plus.

I'm tempted to keep two libraries, one ripped with a losses codec and one at 256 AAC, but I honestly cant tell the difference as it is.

I mean, from other MP3s. Yeah, I know, I'm going to take a hit. Say it anyway. Or should I go for a "lossless" encoding?

[quote name='Nohbdy']I mean, from other MP3s. Yeah, I know, I'm going to take a hit. Say it anyway. Or should I go for a "lossless" encoding?[/QUOTE]

If you are converting from MP3 then convert at whatever bitrate the MP3 is encoded at, or as close as your converter will get. To get "lossless" quality you'll have to rip directly from a CD>

[quote name='Nohbdy']And I bet it'll be a pain in the ass if it's VBR bitrates.[/QUOTE]

Not really, just let the encoder do its thing... Considering the playback device I doubt high quality should be the highest concern.

Here is a step by step for having iTunes do it... I wouldn't worry too much about having VBR on the MP3.

well im might have to say buy to my piracy card..(wasted 20$ on that thing :(..), but then again i could go with the ds lite.. and i currently own a ds original..what should i do hmmm

this is pianfully hard decision

[quote name='crunchewy']Why in the world aren't they also supporting MP3?[/QUOTE]

There is a license to support the MP3 codec.

Well, it's like a candy blue. You know how some candies have a "blue raspberry" flavor? That's practically the shade of blue it's taking after.

This is probably digging up an old subject but I wasn't aware people were making a big deal about it until recently.

It doesn't matter how high of a megapixel count you have, picture quality depends on the aperture quality of the camera lens, which will never be close to good with these small handhelds and phones. That new 12 megapixel Samsung camera phone will still produce grainy images. This is along with cost is probably the reason that led to Nintendo's decision.

Megapixels with the proper equipment only matter when dealing with on the professional level when needing to crop or print wall size images with great quality. What do I know I only have to work with this stuff on every other project.

[quote name='Mad D']This is probably digging up an old subject but I wasn't aware people were making a big deal about it until recently.

It doesn't matter how high of a megapixel count you have, picture quality depends on the aperture quality of the camera lens, which will never be close to good with these small handhelds and phones. That new 12 megapixel Samsung camera phone will still produce grainy images. This is along with cost is probably the reason that led to Nintendo's decision.

Megapixels with the proper equipment only matter when dealing with on the professional level when needing to crop or print wall size images with great quality. What do I know I only have to work with this stuff on every other project.[/QUOTE]

Well, I dont think its been an issue in this thread, but your points are well received. Nintendo has never played the technology fight. One of the first points in the PR for the DSI is that the camera takes pictures at twice the resolution that the DS screen could display.

Yeah, and that's absolutely pathetic. Satoru Iwata has a point where large images take up assloads of space on your memory card but you don't resort to 640x480. Jesus. Is 1024x768 that crammed?

[quote name='Nohbdy']Yeah, and that's absolutely pathetic. Satoru Iwata has a point where large images take up assloads of space on your memory card but you don't resort to 640x480. Jesus. Is 1024x768 that crammed?[/QUOTE]

But why would you include XGA, when VGA is already twice the resolution of the screen?

I actually like the new DS. I honestly think that with the SD slot will be a way for hacking the DS a lot easier. It happened with the Wii and it's gonna happen with the DS.

[quote name='Nohbdy']It's not neon blue, it's...raspberry blue.[/QUOTE]

It's not raspberry blue, it's Slime Blue.

slime.jpg

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

And finally, the coup d'grace:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is officially the ugliest thing I have seen in technology. Why Slime Blue or all colors? Honestly, its not like the DS came out in Slime Blue ever.

That looks ridiculously dull. It's just a stupid little pattern. If it was more like ARTWORK (i.e. Pokemon DS Lites), then it'd look great.

But not you're just paying extra for a checkerboard pattern. Why not, say, a badass keyblade?

[quote name='Cao Cao']Japan is getting a Kingdom Hearts DSi bundle:
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/05/kingdom-hearts-dsi-bundle-launching-may-30-in-japan/
dsi30509.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Its coming out in Japan in May and the normal versions are coming out in April in the US. Japan has already had it for a few months out there. Personally I think its a nice idea starting the limited editions early but they should have released one with the Black and Blue in the US come April 5th. Course the design on it I'd hope would be a better one, kinda lame even though I am a big Kingdom Hearts fan.

I have an R4 flash cart (if you don't know what this is, then you probably cannot help answer my question) and I may be getting the DSi and it looks like it has a much different firmware than the first 2 variations of the DS, I am asking if my R4 will still work well with the DSi or does no one know yet?

I just had to cancel my pre-order yesterday because some douche business decided to finally go ahead and cash a check I wrote out for them THREE WEEKS AGO, misleading me as to what I actually had in my bank account.

Is there a list yet of what games will be downloadable on day 1

if they had some major RPG games to download i would buy it day 1.... otherwise i will wait till around xmas

[quote name='slidecage']Is there a list yet of what games will be downloadable on day 1

if they had some major RPG games to download i would buy it day 1.... otherwise i will wait till around xmas[/QUOTE]

Nope, Wario Ware is probably a safe bet, but nothing is confirmed.

I am looking to buy a ds but what do you guys think is better

Wait for the Dsi or buy for 99 bucks a brand new ds lite?

Judging by the Costco pre-order topic in the VGD board, it seems that Nintendo of America may be giving us some Nintendo Points with the DSi. For those who don't know, DSi owners in Japan got 1000 points ($10) with their purchase. The image at Costco says to visit: http://dsioffer.nintendo.com

But, nothing is up at that address yet, and so far, nothing is known about what the "Free Downloadable Games Offer" entails.

In other DSi news, a few DSiWare games were announced for the US recently, Pop+ Solo and Mighty Flip Champs. Pop+ Solo is the sequel to the Wiiware launch title Pop; it adds an adventure mode, complete with bosses like a Giant Squid and Starfish, and it seems to be launching with the US service. Mighty Flip Champs is a platformer from WayForward (You might remember them from such games as Contra 4, Lit, and the A Boy and his Blob remake); no release date has been announced, and WF has hinted that they have another DSiWare title in the works.

Used to have a ds, didn't do what I wanted, movies and such. Got a PSP and sold my DS. Then got a new mp3 player, did what the psp did but better. And now my psp just sits on my desk. I would really like a portable gaming system with games I'd play. The psp games dont interest me that much and it seems like much more support for the ds.

So is the DSi a good enough product to bring me back to the DS. I was thinking of just getting another ds lite, but whats the point if i dont have one, why not go for the better version. I am trying to sell my PSP here on cag, if I do I'd probably get a DSi.

I know everyone has already complained about it. But wtf is this blue color. Horrible. It doesn't really effect me sicne I had a black ds lite and I'd always go for a black one anyways. But wow, its just so ugly.

bread's done
Back