Nintendo DSi and DSi XL Out Now. "3DS" Showing at E3

Club Nintendo just sent out a "VIP" invite to preview the Dsi for Platinum Members. It's this Sunday at the Nintendo World Store in NYC.

It doesn't mention any giveaways, just that you can play the DSi. I see no point, they have DSi's on display for 2 weeks now, anyone can go in and play them...

8ocfj1

Bah....my invite was for 2 different Gamestops in Brooklyn.

I live in Brooklyn but Im sure they are going to do more things at the Nintendo World Store.

[quote name='BladeZ']It doesn't mention any giveaways, just that you can play the DSi. I see no point, they have DSi's on display for 2 weeks now, anyone can go in and play them...[/QUOTE]
Well not everyone's is at the NWS.

[quote name='blueweltall']Any news when the U.S. is getting the white color DS? My old polar white DSis broken and I need a replacement soon.[/quote]

i think its gonna stay as a Japan exclusive which is a shame because that was the color i wanted :cry:

[quote name='adriley313']i was thinkin about a DSi but i play pokemon a lot and need the gba slot. is it worth the upgrade.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely not.

Really not worth the upgrade for DS lite owners, much less for DS lite owners who make use of the GBA slot.

For DS phat owners who don't play GBA games, maybe it's worthwhile as the phat screen was pretty crappy and they could get the camera, download game service (who knows if that will be worthwhile) etc. on top of the better screen.

Well, it's a little less of a rumor seeing as the guy they sent double-checked with the representative to make sure he wasn't hearing things.

Anyone know how much the DSiware points are in US dollars? I want to calculate how much Nintendo plans to charge.

[quote name='Nohbdy']Well, it's a little less of a rumor seeing as the guy they sent double-checked with the representative to make sure he wasn't hearing things.[/QUOTE]

Still, it's just one source saying this. I think everyone would feel better if someone else, someone reliable, confirms it by saying "I was at the event too, and they announced it," or "We checked with Nintendo and they confirmed that it is real."

[quote name='shlby']Anyone know how much the DSiware points are in US dollars? I want to calculate how much Nintendo plans to charge.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo hasn't confirmed anything yet, but it should be the same as Wii Points (100 Points = ~$1). There was a scare not too long ago when Amazon listed their 2000 Nintendo Point cards for $25, but as it was pointed out in the topic:
1. Amazon has the "List Price" for the older 2000 Wii Point Cards pegged at $25, and they're still selling for $20 at Amazon, so this is likely just a filler price that will change when the cards actually come out.
2. The only place that really matters is how much the points will cost in the Wii/DSi Shops, as there are a variety of price points out there at the B&M stores for the Wii Point cards.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Absolutely not.

Really not worth the upgrade for DS lite owners, much less for DS lite owners who make use of the GBA slot.

For DS phat owners who don't play GBA games, maybe it's worthwhile as the phat screen was pretty crappy and they could get the camera, download game service (who knows if that will be worthwhile) etc. on top of the better screen.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I love my GBA slot. It's truly a shame they took it out. Reminds me of how pissed I was when there was no Game Boy and Game Boy Color compatiability when the DS came out.

So I can spend $40 more for the DSi for the ability to spend $6-$8 later to download GBA games that I've already bought, just for the convenience of playing them on my DSi? No thanks.

Of course, this thing will sell like hotcakes, but I'd rather have my DS lite at this point.

Well...until Nintendo gets unified profiles across all platforms (I.E. never) you'll never get to play Wii VC games on a DSi.

[quote name='BladeZ']Club Nintendo just sent out a "VIP" invite to preview the Dsi for Platinum Members. It's this Sunday at the Nintendo World Store in NYC.

It doesn't mention any giveaways, just that you can play the DSi. I see no point, they have DSi's on display for 2 weeks now, anyone can go in and play them...

8ocfj1
[/quote]

A friend went to a Gamestop event and received a coupon that offers $100 DS lite trade in value towards a DSI. $30 more than the $25 bump promo happening now..

[quote name='Cao Cao']Well this could be an interesting rumor...
According to Kombo, Nintendo announced at a Club Nintendo event that they will indeed be offering Game Boy and GBA games over the DSiWare Shop, and they can be run from the SD card:
http://ds.kombo.com/article.php?artid=7007[/quote]

if true, I finally have a reason to get a DSi. Nothing on it interested me other than the chance of gameboy games released on it. If it were to happen, I'd be playing my DS more than I have ever.

The possibility of Gameboy games is great. However, if it will be a trickle of games over the span of years like the Wii VC titles, then I am not impressed. I am not going to sit around for years waiting for the games I want to play such as Golden Sun, Link's Awakening, Dr. Mario, Metroid Fusion, etc. to be released. I am still waiting for basic NES/SNES games on the Wii.

I don't understand their hesitation. It's like they don't want my money.

The kombo website has been updated with a note that Nintendo informed them that you will *not* be able to run GBA/GC games from an SD card. Also, the VC has only been announced for Japan so far.

What's with only having black and blue? I guess they are hoping people will rush out on release day to buy whatever color is available, then come back in a few months to buy the new red or white version. It's odd considering every Nintendo released picture of the DSi is white.

The shade of blue they picked is just weird and black is weak.

I had to comment, I suggest people reserve or Pre-order your DSi NOW ASAP.

While you can because shortages will be HUGE, And if you pay $170, You can sell it on ebay or Craigslist for $300 Easy

if i could play wii vc games on the dsi id get one in a heartbeat. being limited to gb/gbc/gg games isnt nearly as enticing.

however a trade in coupon kind of helps...

I just put in a pre-order for the blue one. I've been wanting to update my old DS phat for quite a while now. I can't wait to get it!

So Nintendo is splitting the userbase by allowing the option for games to run on DSi but not DSLite or the original DS. Anyone else, who doesn't plan on upgrading another $170, upset? I guess this really is the successor to DS and their new hardware strategy going forward. I don't expect a DS2 or anything like that now for years.

It'll be a long time before there are DSi specific games, and even longer before those games are so worthwhile as to necessitate the hardware. Until then you'll probably see software that runs on both systems, but has some sort of small enhancement for the DSi crowd, like taking pictures or something simple like that. Will be a while before something massive is DSi-only.

Beyond that, they are going to try and play this as a third pillar like they did with the DS originally. There's no telling how that will play out.

You're not being forced into or out of anything.

This will be their new portable going forward for many years, they have too much support for it to turn into a third pillar they could kill off to release another portable instead. And it's apparent this is their new type of hardware strategy, taking a page from Apple. I don't like that type of strategy as I bought a DS Lite in 2006. I guess that's the future though, faster upgrade and new hardware cycles.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more than a few DSi only games by the end of the year or early next year. Publishers know a DSi specific game will get more sales out of DSi owners if they can push their game as the newest and brightest available. At the same time I hope the regular DS/DSLite doesn't become home to the cheapest games. We don't know what will happen, but that scenario certainly isn't far fetched.

I'm not being forced into anything unless I see a game I really really want, but I'll just play the waiting game as usual.

Publishers know they will get LESS sales if the game if pushed as DSi only. There's only two million in Japan. Nintendo would be lucky to have, oh, 7 million worldwide by the end of the year. Meanwhile the DS is going to have ....over 100 million, I'm not sure how big it is now. There's no reason to go after that small of a market right now or anytime soon.

The only advantage the DSi has over the DS is the inclusion of DSiware, and it'll be months before there's enough content on there to consider it worthwhile. There's almost no chance any true killer apps are going to appear on it, since they'd have to be tiny games. You won't see a new franchise title on there (Warioware really doesn't count) or anything big from third parties for a good long while. Just look at Wiiware as a good example - about one great third party game a month, if even that.

It's not a direct successor. And I don't think it's going to sell like the DS did. I think the average consumer is going to see it as more expensive and pass on it. There is no way developers are going to risk putting a game out on that small of a userbase until well after Nintendo themselves does it and creates a need for the system in the eyes of consumers, and really the only way I can see them doing that is a New Super Mario Bros 2 or a new flagship Pokemon game.

You're describing a different shade of what people were saying when the DS came out - it won't work, but I'm scared I'll be left behind. Very little of that applies here.

Yes they would get less sales from DS/DSLite owners, but potentially more from those who own DSi (not more than DS/DSL, more among DSi's pool). It's like with the launch of a console, publishers are trying to grab as much as they can from a smaller pie and those within that pie are more ready to spend on new games and looking for the newest and best they can find on their new system. DSi certainly has more advantage over DS than just DSIware. DSi has upgraded hardware i.e. better/faster CPU, 4 times as much RAM.

It's not like the launch of a new console at all. A new console affords a dramatic shift against its former iteration, and usually shows up with a bevy of support to take advantage of it. It helps that console launches are usually 4-5 years apart from each other, where as handhelds can be cycled in or out within the space of two years.

Nintendo hasn't announced any DSi specific games outside of the DSiware. Nor have any other third party developers. That alone negates comparing this to a DSi.

Again, what you're going to see most likely is a hybrid DS/DSi game with some simple unlockables. It'll be a long while before some big DSi-only game gets announced and released.

Nintendo gains the most from games selling on the DSi. A third party making a game isn't going to overlook the larger userbase, since they are going to pay royalties to Nintendo either way. It makes no sense for them to gun for a fraction-sized userbase when they are still paying dues to Nintendo directly. Even if you got 100% of the DSi crowd to buy your game, you'd probably have doubled that by making it compatible with the DS in the first place.

You're saying that a developer/publisher would get a lot of exposure by making a DSi only game, as if the usual public pays close enough attention to such things. No. The public at large buys usually what is advertised to them, what is familiar to them (such as a licensed move tie-in), or what is cheapest. They don't care about a game taking advantage of the increased tech the DSi has unless it is absolutely a killer app.

And no developer is going to waste time on that possibility when they can gun for 20x the userbase. It makes no sense to put money down on some "let's get our name out there!" gambit.

You have to remember most people couldn't tell you who makes what mascot/franchise games, refers to any handheld as "a Nintendo" or "a Gameboy," and generally isn't interested in the industry itself.

This whole idea that Nintendo is going to drop their guns and go after the DSi market only isn't correct. They just announced a new DS Zelda. If Nintendo were serious about making the DSi the next big thing RIGHT NOW, they'd make it DSi only. Yeah they might even secretly want the DSi to be the next big thing, but nothing they've done implies that at all, outside of removing the GBA slot, which is really more of a "we need to move forward with DS titles as a whole" mentality than anything else.

[quote name='Strell']

Again, what you're going to see most likely is a hybrid DS/DSi game with some simple unlockables. It'll be a long while before some big DSi-only game gets announced and released.

[/QUOTE]

Ahh Gameboy Color, we hardly knew ye...

[quote name='Strell']It's not like the launch of a new console at all. A new console affords a dramatic shift against its former iteration, and usually shows up with a bevy of support to take advantage of it. It helps that console launches are usually 4-5 years apart from each other, where as handhelds can be cycled in or out within the space of two years.

Nintendo hasn't announced any DSi specific games outside of the DSiware. Nor have any other third party developers. That alone negates comparing this to a DSi.

Nintendo gains the most from games selling on the DSi. A third party making a game isn't going to overlook the larger userbase, since they are going to pay royalties to Nintendo either way. It makes no sense for them to gun for a fraction-sized userbase when they are still paying dues to Nintendo directly. Even if you got 100% of the DSi crowd to buy your game, you'd probably have doubled that by making it compatible with the DS in the first place.

You're saying that a developer/publisher would get a lot of exposure by making a DSi only game, as if the usual public pays close enough attention to such things. No. The public at large buys usually what is advertised to them, what is familiar to them (such as a licensed move tie-in), or what is cheapest. They don't care about a game taking advantage of the increased tech the DSi has unless it is absolutely a killer app.

And no developer is going to waste time on that possibility when they can gun for 20x the userbase. It makes no sense to put money down on some "let's get our name out there!" gambit.

You have to remember most people couldn't tell you who makes what mascot/franchise games, refers to any handheld as "a Nintendo" or "a Gameboy," and generally isn't interested in the industry itself.

This whole idea that Nintendo is going to drop their guns and go after the DSi market only isn't correct. They just announced a new DS Zelda. If Nintendo were serious about making the DSi the next big thing RIGHT NOW, they'd make it DSi only. Yeah they might even secretly want the DSi to be the next big thing, but nothing they've done implies that at all, outside of removing the GBA slot, which is really more of a "we need to move forward with DS titles as a whole" mentality than anything else.[/quote]
It sure looks and feels like the launch of a new system. New upgraded hardware, new abilities, new games, hype, etc. It's introduction comes at the normal progression for a new hardware release. I think the reason we don't see a big DSi game yet is since its not a new system entirely, publishers will wait a little longer, plus they're also going to start with DSIWare games and DSi games that work with the cameras but still work on regular DS/DSL first.

I'd be very surprised to not see DSi exclusive games appearing late 09 early 10 as I said before. It makes sense for publishers to target some games specifically to DSi, even with the smaller userbase, because DSi owners will be looking for a game that takes advantage of their hardware.

If the DSi userbase reaches around 7 million as you claimed yourself by the end of the year, it could make sense to try and get a larger tie ratio among those who own a DSi than to launch another regular DS game among all the competition on DS. You also say even if they got 100%, so you're saying they could get 7 million on DSi, but if they made it on DS they could get 14 million. I disagree with that. DSi's CPU & RAM allow for game experiences not possible on DS/DSL. That combined with users wanting the newest/greatest possible on their hardware and publishers wanting to stake it out among a less competitive environment will contribute to DSi only games being made within a year.

The public who is going to buy the DSi earliest, is the more knowledgeable and spending type of gamer... especially when the DSL will still be available for purchase. Those less knowledgeable and less caring about the type of games available will opt for the cheaper DSL. Those in the know will get the DSi.

It's not always 20x the userbase. Certain games don't appeal to a large part of that userbase. The DS/DSL demographic is very broad and diverse. And as I said some types of DSi games will not be possible on DSL, games that will require the extra processing power and memory. It's not lets get our name out there. It's lets give this new userbase something they can't find anywhere else. It's lets grab this new userbase before someone else does.

I did not and would not say Nintendo would drop the DS market for the DSi only. That would be incredibly stupid. I am simply saying that there will be DSi only games that those of us who recently bought a DSL won't be able to play. I am also saying this is the future of gaming, it's not Nintendo only who will do this type of thing with their hardware.

DSIWare also goes against your saying that Nintendo doesn't want DSi to be the next big thing.

I am guessing early on the game will have DSi exclusive feature, but will also work on old DS. Sort of like how early game boy color games can be playable on old game boy. For example in Link's awaking DX you get an extra dungeon if you play it in GBC

You haven't made a single good point, J7. You've thrown out the same argument over and over and over without thinking for a second about the contradictory viewpoints.

I've already refuted what little you've had to say, and you continue to hide your head in the sand. So what's the point of having a conversation with a brick wall?

This isn't comparable to a new console launch.

Downloadable DSiware titles are not nearly on the same level as retail releases, just like their console cousins where even the biggest games are still hardly comparable to their retail counterparts. XBLA/PSN/Wiiware don't compare to what is on the shelves. Even the best digital download games still aren't comparable to a huge retail release.

Nintendo wants downloadable titles and they know they can make apps and so on - they know it's already the next big thing. But they also know that sales of those are trumped almost 100% of the time by retail releases.

You won't be seeing DSi-exclusive big titles until 2010 at the earliest, and even then, it'll be the latter half. Not even Nintendo has announced a big one. Third parties won't follow under after. DSiware doesn't count here.

Even if the DSi makes 7 million by the end of the year, that's not comparable to the DS userbase. It amazes me that you can't see that. You continue to portray it in this "they could be a big DSi name" as if that makes sense. It's not going to happen. Following it up with "its hardware enables new experiences" sounds a lot like the PSP. Nintendo isn't about power with their handhelds. Doesn't apply here.

The "core" crowd might buy the DSi initially, but Nintendo wants beyond them to buy it. That alone negates sending a game to die by making it exclusive to a smaller audience.

Saying "let's give them something they can't get anywhere else" goes 100% against what Nintendo wants to do initially. True, they are all about "experiences," but foremost they are about selling their ideas, and until that happens (which you can bet they will wait for), there's no reason to limit potential sales. It also goes against a third party initially because that's too big a gamble. Again, the fact that you can't see this is astonishing.

You're hiding behind this notion that "wah wah I just bought a DS and now Nintendo is making a new one" and now you're trying to justify that fear by saying you'll be left in the cold with "new experiences" and so on, when the only thing we've seen with the DSi that is new is another input method - the camera - and some downloadable "gamelets."

This doesn't feel like a new hardware release at all. It feels like a minor extension, just like everyone said when this was first announced last year. Even the diehard Nintendo fans know this, and some even lamented the fact that we're four years into the DS and Nintendo continues to babystep up the power.

i'm going with the amazon.com deal to buy rhythm heaven with a DSi and get $10 off. About as good as I've seen without supporting the shamestop.

Although I did pick next day shipping so that kinda ate up the $10 off..

This feels like the launch of the Gameboy Color. The path here has been well defined.

Rereleases from Nintendo with DSi enhancements, new games with DSi bonuses, and finally down the line DSi only games.

I see the DSi as more of a market play...a medium to stay in line with where the portable market is heading. From consoles to portables and even to cellphones, the consumer loves the idea of digital distribution. The ability to purchase and download software at the push a button has had great success in the past couple of years. With talks about the PSP turning exclusive to digital distribution to the success of Valve's Steam and any other similar medium (Xbox arcade, PSN store, itunes), there is no doubt that the gaming marketplace embraces digital distribution.

In my opinion, the DSi is an act by nintendo anticipating where the market is heading. The biggest mistake in business is to do nothing at all. It's all about timing. You always want to be at the forefront as that is what gives you the advantage. Like it or not, the DSi was made to cater to the new medium of digital distribution. It would be a mistake if nintendo missed the boat entirely and see themselves still driving a model T while the others drives circles around them in their hybrid cars. (exaggeration)

Now I don't exactly have high expectations of nintendo when it comes to their DSiWare as nintendo is just beginning this new service, but I do admire nintendo's recognition of a changing market place.

I did preorder a DSi as I am a complete sucker for new plastic, but I wouldn't worry about the DS Lite being phased out anytime soon. DS Lite owners will probably not miss much of the initial DSiWare offering unless you really got to have that super sexy animal crossing calculator that you have always been dreaming about. I also would not worry about DSi exclusive enhancements in future DS games. They are merely "enhancements" and aren't exactly something worth to hold a grudge about or even kill yourself over. Remember, it's only a game. (except for WoW. WoW is the devil.)

Sooo N will make all of you re-buy GBA games through new emulator to play them on DSi? Thats just like saying, "here, suck my c***." and everyone replying, "Yessir!" And they cut the extra slot for what? A crappy media player and cameras that are worse than free cellphones' these days. Way to go Nintendo.

I don't know about all of you, but IMO Nintendo's portable peak was at GBA and a truly worthy upgrade was the Micro. DS fell back to not getting sony exclusives over PSP and getting watered-down versions of the multi-console games. GBA knew no such bounds since it was the only popular handheld at the time and every developer wanted their titles on it.

Not really. i offers nothing superior to Lite whatsoever. Lite over Fat was a huge size cut and battery life increase, so it was a decent upgrade.

still debating if I want to get this or not. I got to try one out the other day, and I really like the feel and look of it. However, I could careless for the camera and music player. If I were to upgrade it would only be for the DSiShop, the new feel and look of the system, and bigger screen. Not sure if that is worth the $169.99 just for that.

I wish it was $169. It's freaking $199 here in Canada.

I have never used a screen protector or case on my Lite and it only has those microscopic scratches you can only see if you look at the screen at an angle in the sun. DS doesn't need any jimmy hat.

bread's done
Back