Nintendo DSi and DSi XL Out Now. "3DS" Showing at E3

[quote name='Skv012a']When I see Nintendo make a decent product, I will. I've dealt with DS hardware and software plenty to dislike it and DSi isn't looking any better so far.[/QUOTE]

Well, if over 100 million units isn't a measure of them doing something right, then I don't know what is.

I'm not saying I disagree with the lack of MP3 support, but AAC is a better encoding, and as it has been mentioned several times requires no license fees to use! Your argument is pretty moot anyway, since the largest music store has been offering AAC downloads for quite some time now.

[quote name='Zing']
I am not saying MP3 is terrible or that AAC is god, but they have reached a point where they are equivalent in the aspects of usability. However, one has a licensing fee and the other has higher sound quality. Older device/software compatibility and music pirating are likely the only things keeping MP3 in the mainstream.[/QUOTE]

I would add that the fact that the word MP3 is fairly well known by even the non-technical masses and the fact that Amazon sells MP3 (probably a decision solely to distinguish themselves from Apple's iTunes store) are two other factors.

Personally I, out of nothing other than habit, rip my music as an MP3. But that will change when I get a system big enough (along with a house that justifies it) to warrant ripping as a lossless format and as a lossy format for use with things like my iPhone or iPod.

And that being said, if you have music as MP3s, its comically easy to convert them to AAC if need be.

I would note that the thread has been on this particularly non-impressive function of the DSi for over two pages... Is anyone REALLY going to use their DSi like an iPod or other MP3 player?

[quote name='foltzie']
Personally I, out of nothing other than habit, rip my music as an MP3. But that will change when I get a system big enough (along with a house that justifies it) to warrant ripping as a lossless format and as a lossy format for use with things like my iPhone or iPod.
[/QUOTE]

I rip everything to 128 mp3's and will continue to do so.

1. I like that I know I can play it on anything. Which is important as I'll probably never buy one of Apple's overpriced and under-featured players. Not all players support AAC.

2. I'm not an audiophile and don't care about sound quality much. 128 mp3s sound fine, and I care more about having smaller files and being able to fit everything on my 30GB Creative Vision M with lots of space to spare for years to come.

Not all players support AAC.

And those would be players that nobody gives a damn about.

Seriously, like, ask any random person that knows any other brand of music player outside of an iPod or a Zune.

I'm not saying that anything by Creative or whomever is not going to be found. I've seen them but it's incredibly rare. I can vaguely recall 2 instances of seeing someone in public with a music player that isn't an iPod ever since the iPod was released years ago.

128 mp3s sound fine, and I care more about having smaller files and being able to fit everything on my 30GB Creative Vision M with lots of space to spare for years to come.

Irony. An AAC at 128kbps would be even smaller than one encoded in MP3.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Well, if over 100 million units isn't a measure of them doing something right, then I don't know what is.[/quote]

Dude, my gaming standards and portable electronic standards are far beyond those of 5-12 year olds who just love to play games regardless of how good those games are. Naturally DS is the the easiest game system to use on the market, so kids love it. Using Lite as an example: take a game, put it in, play. It can do no more and no less.

DSi added an akward music support and horribly sub-par cameras that can't do anything worthwhile. If DSi supports video chatting in the future, you won't see anything through a .3mp unit. Cheapest 50$ cell phones without any features come with at least 2mp cameras and a 170$ gaming device couldn't do that? Cmon.

Stop defending Nintendo's pathetic attempts are luring customers by simply adding crappy feature by feature with utter disregard of quality.

[quote name='Nohbdy']And those would be players that nobody gives a damn about.

Seriously, like, ask any random person that knows any other brand of music player outside of an iPod or a Zune.

I'm not saying that anything by Creative or whomever is not going to be found. I've seen them but it's incredibly rare. I can vaguely recall 2 instances of seeing someone in public with a music player that isn't an iPod ever since the iPod was released years ago.
[/QUOTE]

Definitely true in the mainstream as people are sheep and buy stuff on hype rather than doing research and buying what has the most feature, best sound quality etc. for the price.

But you're underestimating the other players, every time there's a "what MP3 player should I buy" thread here (and on other forums) there are a lot of recommendations for the Creative Vision M, Sandisk Sanza's etc. etc.

Now I don't care what you prefer, or if you're an Apple and/or Nintendo fanboy etc., people can use what they like--I just hate the brand loyalty, defensiveness over this type of stuff on the net. There's no reason anyone should have any brand loyalty. None of these companies care about anything other than getting as much of your money as possible, so it's pretty pathetic to work for them for free on the net spreading hype and defending criticism.

I'm just pointing out the advantage of mp3 being that it can be played on any music player, while AAC limits your options of why players you can buy. That may not matter to you since you have no interest in looking beyond the hyped products like iPods and Zunes, but it is a factor for others who want to shop around and get a player that best suits there needs rather than just buying what all their friends have.

DSi, like I said I could care less about. Barely touch my DS and when I do I often play GBA games so clearly the DSi isn't something for me.

[quote name='Nohbdy']
Irony. An AAC at 128kbps would be even smaller than one encoded in MP3.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, but back 2-3 years ago when I was shopping for MP3 players the iPod was all that played AAC and I wasn't paying a higher price for one of them when they lacked features I wanted--namely FM tuner built in as I listen to the radio on mine just as much as I listen to my MP3s.

So now my nearly 4,000 track collection is all in MP3, so I'll never make the switch to AAC most likely.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want the DSi solely for the larger screen and non yellow/blurry bottom screen. Anything else is just extra features that increase the cost of the unit for no good reason.

I would also say WPA support is a critical feature, but it's likely to not override the WEP requirement of existing games since it appears to be hardcoded into the networking stack of the games themselves. I guess future DS games will offer WPA support, but I'm probably only going to get maybe 5 more games for the rest of the life of the system.

[quote name='Skv012a']Dude, my gaming standards and portable electronic standards are far beyond those of 5-12 year olds who just love to play games regardless of how good those games are. Naturally DS is the the easiest game system to use on the market, so kids love it. Using Lite as an example: take a game, put it in, play. It can do no more and no less.[/quote]

Come back when you have a real argument that isn't based on a biased opinion. I'm sure you'll find plenty of folks well beyond that age range who own a DS and are likely to disagree with you.

[quote name='Skv012a']DSi added an akward music support and horribly sub-par cameras that can't do anything worthwhile. If DSi supports video chatting in the future, you won't see anything through a .3mp unit. Cheapest 50$ cell phones without any features come with at least 2mp cameras and a 170$ gaming device couldn't do that? Cmon.

Stop defending Nintendo's pathetic attempts are luring customers by simply adding crappy feature by feature with utter disregard of quality.[/QUOTE]

Arguing from a sales standpoint, why should Nintendo beef up a system that has sold over 100 million units and its nearest competitor is much further behind?

I'm not saying I disagree with you on the quality of the features implemented with the DSi, in fact I am likely to never use the camera or media player functionality when I have devices that play those dedicated roles and do a much better job of it. But the newer features themselves don't detract from the DS' main purpose or goal.

128 Kbps AAC is NOT smaller then a 128 Kbps MP3. Just think about what you ate saying: how many bits per second of audio. I.e. They will be the same size. However, you can use a lower bitrate with AAC and get the same sound quality (or better). In that way you can have smaller files, but if you encode at the same bitrate they will be the same size.

Myself, most of my music is encoded in MP3 format because it comes from emusic. Thus I am annoyed with the lack of MP3 support. Moreover, they are going to confuse many as MPS is still a very popular format. It seems pretty stupid to not include MP3 support. Of course I've got an iPod touch for my music primarily, but I'd like the option of being able to play my music on the DSi without lossy conversion. I'll bet we'll see some fun music-related download apps for the DSi. Oh well.

[quote name='crunchewy']Myself, most of my music is encoded in MP3 format because it comes from emusic. Thus I am annoyed with the lack of MP3 support. Moreover, they are going to confuse many as MPS is still a very popular format. It seems pretty stupid to not include MP3 support. Of course I've got an iPod touch for my music primarily, but I'd like the option of being able to play my music on the DSi without lossy conversion. I'll bet we'll see some fun music-related download apps for the DSi. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

I'll be honest, its a nuisance that they arent including MP3 support (but not surprising given the licensing fees.

But how many people are going to actually pull out a SD card reader, copy over some media to a spare SD card, and plug it into the DSi without understanding the difference between MP3 and AAC?

I just cant imagine my mother taking those steps, even though she is quite keen on playing Brain Age when she gets her hands on my DS.

Exactly it's largely a moot point as the DSi is too big to be very functional as a Music player anyway. Or as a camera.

It's just useless features added in place of a useful one (GBA slot) along with the ability to do digital game downloads--which I hate as I don't like buying games I can't resell/trade since I never replay games.

[quote name='Nohbdy']Even after you plug in headphones and close the clamshell?[/QUOTE]

Yep. MP3 player needs to easily fit in a pant's pocket etc. Plus it doesn't have an external screen or buttons so it's not very intuitive to use for music play back.

Mp3 players are for listening to music on the go, and need to be fairly small and easy to take everywhere. No point in listening on an MP3 player when at a work at a PC, at home etc.

I can see some benefit for people who always take their DS in their backpack/carry on when flying--then they could have their games and music in one place etc. But for a daily use MP3 player it's just too bulky.

[quote name='Nohbdy']An AAC at 128kbps would be even smaller than one encoded in MP3.[/quote]
I have little experience in music file sizes, but how does one file encoded at the same bitrate become smaller than the same file encoded at the same bitrate in a different format?

If you have an audio file that's 30 seconds long, encoded at 128kbps, wouldn't it be the same length no matter what format it was in?

Quality might be a different story, but size seems to me like it would be the same?

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']I have little experience in music file sizes, but how does one file encoded at the same bitrate become smaller than the same file encoded at the same bitrate in a different format?

If you have an audio file that's 30 seconds long, encoded at 128kbps, wouldn't it be the same length no matter what format it was in?

Quality might be a different story, but size seems to me like it would be the same?[/QUOTE]

You're right Lawyers. Mp3 and aac are only 2 types of compressed audio formats. However, they each compress the audio differently. This is the main "advantage" that aac has over mp3. The quality of the compression is significant enough that the audio quality does not take a big as a hit as mp3 audio compression.

Now lets try to answer your question. A 30 second audio clip at 128kbps in both formats (mp3 & aac) are indeed relatively the same size. However, in theory, the aac file's sound quality should be better than it's mp3 counterpart merely because of the way it compresses the audio. Thus, many aac files can get away with using a 112 kbps bitrate as the audio quality is comparable to an mp3 encoded at 128kbps, thereby saving space.

I hope that helps.

If you want FULL QUALITY (lossless audio), try encoding your audio sources in the FLAC format.

[quote name='shlby']You're not quite thinking in the right direction. Mp3 and aac are only 2 types of compressed audio formats. However, they each compress the audio differently. This is the main "advantage" that aac has over mp3. The quality of the compression is significant enough that the audio quality does not take a big as a hit as mp3 audio compression.

Now lets try to answer your question. A 30 second audio clip at 128kbps in both formats (mp3 & aac) are indeed relatively the same size. However, in theory, the aac file's sound quality should be better than it's mp3 counterpart merely because of the way it compresses the audio. Thus, many aac files can get away with using a 112 kbps bitrate as the audio quality is comparable to an mp3 encoded at 128kbps, thereby saving space.

I hope that helps.

If you want FULL QUALITY (lossless audio), try encoding your audio sources in the FLAC format.[/quote]

No, that's what I was looking for. I know quality is a different story, I was just wondering about this quote:

Originally Posted by Nohbdy
An AAC at 128kbps would be even smaller than one encoded in MP3.

Guess we can probably get back onto the DSi. I didn't mean to start this big discussion about AAC and Mp3.

Although I am hoping my GameStop has a midnight to I can go up and pick it up along with GTA china town wars and Pokemon Platinum, and hopefully some games that are on sale in their gamedays sales.

I already sold my DS Lite on craigs list for $100 a while ago.

The .25inch on the screen really isn't too big of a difference. I couldn't even tell, but I did get to put a DSi next to a DS original and man what a difference.

The Frys near me were selling a bunch of DSi accessories. I decided to grab a hori DSi screen protector as I think the Hori ones are currently one of the best in the market.

They also had a bunch of other stuff (cases, stylus, etc.) I thought it was kinda of odd to have these accessories out well before launch.

It's really weird but there isn't a goddamn peep about the DSi here in my area. No ads. No signs. Nothing. Even the "new release" schedule sign, which clearly shows Rhythm Heaven on the 5th, makes no mention of it. Crazy.

The free 1000 points offer + web browser download expiring in 6 months is awful. It eats up most of the first price drop if you're waiting for whatever reason :bomb:

Maybe I'll just wait for DS2 with full DSi BC. How'd you like them apples?!

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']The free 1000 points offer + web browser download expiring in 6 months is awful. It eats up most of the first price drop if you're waiting for whatever reason :bomb:

Maybe I'll just wait for DS2 with full DSi BC. How'd you like them apples?![/quote]
You're kidding yourself if you think any piece of Nintendo hardware would drop in price within 6 months or even a year.

No, I understand that. Thats what I mean. Because there is no price drop before the promotion expires, you automatically lose that value before the price drop recoups it.

So unless you wait until the SECOND price drop, you might as well buy now if you're fine with the colors.

Well I bit the bullet and preordered online from Best Buy. It feels ridiculously expensive, but I am a sucker plus I have 20% discounted gift cards to spend.

I am waiting for Rhythm Heaven to go on sale, though.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']No, I understand that. Thats what I mean. Because there is no price drop before the promotion expires, you automatically lose that value before the price drop recoups it.

So unless you wait until the SECOND price drop, you might as well buy now if you're fine with the colors.[/QUOTE]
But 1000 points is about $10, and the browser will be what, $5? Why would Nintendo bother with a price cut as small as $15?

[quote name='Nohbdy']It IS on sale at Amazon when you pre-order it alongside the DSi. It goes for $15.9x.[/QUOTE]

Odds of Amazon getting a DSi to my doorstep within a week of release: zero.

I, and many others, have been burned too often with their "preorders" to risk it.

Also note that I live in Canada which means the sale that you speak of does not exist!

Plus, I get a 20% discount at best buy.

[quote name='Ninjanickx']Question.
Do you need to have a Wii to connect to the DSiware menu thingy?
Or just Wi-Fi?[/QUOTE]

Wi-Fi

DSiWare titles announced

http://kotaku.com/5195299/nintendo-announces-dsiware-titles

• WarioWare: Snapped! — Using the built-in Nintendo DSi camera, this outrageous title puts players right at the center of fast-paced mini-games, challenging them to race the clock and get a peek at Wario's photo album.

• Bird & Beans — Using an elastic tongue, players must scramble to collect falling beans. The harder a bean is to catch, the more points it's worth.

• Brain Age Express: Math — In this math-focused edition of the popular Brain Age series, players can enjoy a mix of new and familiar training exercises. A new Themes mode also lets Nintendo DSi users experiment with images and voice recordings in fun, unusual ways.

• Master of Illusion Express: Funny Face — This game uses your Nintendo DSi as a prop in a card trick. Draw a face on the touch screen and astound your audience as the face tells them which playing card they picked.

• Art Style: AQUIA — The newest addition to the eye-popping Art Style series, this mesmerizing underwater puzzle game challenges players to help a scuba diver reach the ocean floor by matching a series of colored blocks.

Well, I finally decided to preorder at amazon. Between the $10 off with Rhythm Heaven (which I planned to buy anyway), the free 1000 Wii points, and the free internet browser, I'm saving about $25 compared to what it will cost later on. I doubt there will be a price drop anytime within the next few years, so I figured I might as well buy now, since I know I would end up buying one eventually anyway.

Heres my story, Honestly I was going to buy a DSi. But with the PSP 2 announcement at E3 a few weeks away. I can't

The PSP 2 is going to crush the DSi. The games will be amazing the Multimedia capabilities tied to the PS3.

Sure the DSi is all the hype now and theres a DSi brainwashing going on.

But the PSP 2 will soon take up all that mindshare. Since it will be the 1 big thing out of E3.

So I am going to take my $170 and put them back in the Bank towards the new PSP 2.

Not a DSi with its 2001 graphics.

I much look forward to a new God of War on the PSP 2. Street Fighter and Resident Evil not to mention a new Grand Theft Auto game.

I still might buy a DSi but mainly just for its resale value and make a quick profit.

Because besides Mario Kart and Zelda the kiddy graphics of the DS are to contribed for my tastes.

[quote name='Hacker Snacker']Heres my story, Honestly I was going to buy a DSi. But with the PSP 2 announcement at E3 a few weeks away. I can't

The PSP 2 is going to crush the DSi. The games will be amazing the Multimedia capabilities tied to the PS3.

Sure the DSi is all the hype now and theres a DSi brainwashing going on.

But the PSP 2 will soon take up all that mindshare. Since it will be the 1 big thing out of E3.

So I am going to take my $170 and put them back in the Bank towards the new PSP 2.

Not a DSi with its 2001 graphics.

I much look forward to a new God of War on the PSP 2. Street Fighter and Resident Evil not to mention a new Grand Theft Auto game.

I still might buy a DSi but mainly just for its resale value and make a quick profit.

Because besides Mario Kart and Zelda the kiddy graphics of the DS are to contribed for my tastes.[/QUOTE]

off a search about psp 2

The idea of a UMD-free PlayStation Portable begs the question of how games will be loaded onto the device.

Perry believe it will be done through digital downloads and direct connect to a computer.

The ultimate goal, he says, is for the PSP to go 100 percent digital. Not only would that allow Sony to have a more direct connection with their customers and get a larger piece of the sales pie, it would essentially kill the used game sales market.

As a stopgap to keep retailers like GameStop interested in selling the PlayStation Portable 2, which they make little to no money on, Perry thinks that Sony would at least initially sell games for the device on Memory Sticks, as they currently do with some movies, or with pre-paid cards.

if this is true it would be a massive flop at least to me...

no way to play psp 1 games (no way in hell am i going to go out and buy the 30+ rpg games i have for the psp 1 just to play them on the psp 2..

if the prices stay the same and its just downloads

Today buy Phantasy star for the psp and hate it.. Sell it on ebay for 30 Total loss 10 bucks

PSP 2 download Phantasy star for 40 bucks.. hate it since its a download you cant sell it Loss 40 bucks

it will never fly

I went out tonight and got my name on the last DSI system at gamecrazy... Though i dont know if i will pick it up

[quote name='Hacker Snacker']
The PSP 2 is going to crush the DSi.

[/quote]
Replace PSP 2 with PSP, replace DSi with DS. Its 2004 all over again.

I think Sony will either have some PSP 2 add on drive.

Or we don't know it might have a new type of drive that Uses UMD's or Mini DVD.

we just don't know yet. Or Some way to get your UMD game through your PC to your PSP 2 like an iPOd uploading new songs from your PC.

Reatilers are fine selling new games you don't see them yelling for a way to sell Arcade games or PSN old games.

Plus Nintendo and the DSi will have DSi optimized game carts, just not right away. That don't work on DS Lites.

Nintendo's main goal is to sell everything via Digital Distribution 100%.

Like the iPod

in order to fight Piracy one of the main Reasons sales of the PSP went up 200% was because of it was easy to by pass its security features.

Same like the DS Lite with the R4 device, not doubt the same guy who made R4 is making the R4i right now.

They key to combat lost profits from Piracy and Kill the used games black market, is to go 100% Digital Distribution

because Sony and Nintendo lose hundreds of Millions and Publishers to

#1. People pirating games
#2. Retailers like Gamestop keeping 100% of the profit from a resold game.

[quote name='Strell']I think Hacker Snacker is a dupe account of Ice Cold, who got banned for being a douche.[/quote]

Or a Sony rep, since he's listing features on a system which doesn't officially exist.

I just realize the DSi comes out this weekend. That certainly went by quickly.

To go 100% digital distribution will require each handheld or console to not allow BC through physical media at some point... Maybe we will see them allow people to redownload digital versions of games they already own somehow when this happens or maybe we just accept that it will have to happen.

okay here a back to point question

if i just got a new ds system in jan 2009 is there any reason i need to buy the new system sunday

as far as i can see the answer would be NO

Well, if you can deal with the new features and hang onto the hope that they'll do some badass stuff with firmware updates and stuff, then buy it.

If you want to play GBA games with the actual cart, then just stick to a Lite.

Or do what I'm doing and buy the goddamn thing and keep your Lite.

Anyone pre-order with Amazon? There's a pending charge in my bank account.

bread's done
Back