Nintendo E3 2012 Week (CHAT IS UP)

I have no issues with showing some of the casual games in the E3 conference, but wow the speaking is just disjointed and awkward.

That was brutal.

How can marketing people be so bad at public speaking? They teach you this in B-School! I know this!

The one conference I set aside time for ending up being a complete suck-fest. It was a great start with Pikmin 3, and there were some rather funny moments but I'm severely disappointed. Pikmin 3 looks awesome but graphically, I guess the reports were true, the Wii U doesn't seem to be that much more powerful than the PS3/360 which frankly doesn't bother me since we're still getting some awesome looking games.

Pretty much every 3rd party game is either a port and/or makes only the most gimmicky use of the U controller. All the Mario games also seem like rush jobs just to have some games. And all this social network stuff seems like pure crap to me- just like PS Home, it adds nothing to gaming.

I really hope Nintendo has more to show...

Yeah I thought it was okay.. I expected to see Animal Crossing, 3DS redesign (long shot I guess.. maybe TGS?), Wii U launch price / date.

Loads of Mario games...

Nintendo land went on for far too long. Reggie said we only have an hour so its hard to fit in everything they got to show... yeah then spend like what seemed a life time showing Nintendo land.

Very "meh" for me. I thought ZombiU was really cool though, might want to actually get the WiiU if it comes out in a bundle with the game.

As a Nintendo fan, neither Pikmin 3 or New Super Mario Bros. U sell me on the system.

No Metroid, no Donkey Kong, no Star Fox, no Zelda, no F-Zero, nothing. This is more depressing than 2008.

This post-presentation presentation they are showing on the stream is bringing back memories of that godawful overacted Kinect stuff from last year.

No zelda, no SSB, no price, no release date. Most of what they talked about was their damn controller. I was so pumped going into this conference thinking nintendo would blow my pants off. But wow was i wrong. The only thing i seen that i might want to play is New Super Mario Bros U. But even that looked kind of cheesy with people writing all over the maps, and how someone can magically put platforms down for you using the gamepad.

3DS only had like 10 minutes and it showed me more cool things than the Wii U

I remember last year being fucking LOST during the conference, beacuse they bungled the announcement so spectacularly.

I can't believe they actually eclipsed that feeling of being fucking lost from LAST YEAR.

HOLY. SHIT.

Well, I'm certainly not convinced on buying Wii U after that showing.

MS wins because Halo 4 looked like the best game of the show. Bye.

WTF Nintendo? It seriously feels like the Wii launch all over again. All of that was pretty lame. I was really rooting for Nintendo but it was really a disappointment. I like Mario games but talking about 3 mario games for the 3DS and 1 for the Wii U as a part of the conference is getting old. Nintendoland? WTF? Nintendo needs to stop relying SO MUCH ON THE PAST greatness of it's lineup and move forward.

They have somewhat new interesting hardware and then we get the same predictable games. They talk innovation but it's becoming the same stuff over and over again in a different wrapper. Wii Fit U with balance board and Wii U Pad??? Doesn't even make sense...wii balance board collects dust...let us just keep making new games based on it!? Where are the new IPs? Where was the system info? What happens to WiiWare, VC games, etc.? Why should we be excited about Ninja Gaiden 3 and Batman? Old games? Really?

I hope the 3DS conference is better than this garbage.

Too much BS, just show some games. I don't want to interact with 4-5 different control methods, and switch between screens for anything more than menu item selection(I have a 50" 1080p set, that's all I need), no more casual shit, what the fuck is happening to gaming.

Things that I had hoped for:

1. Proof that the graphics were noticeably better than PS3/360, even if just by a bit. Nope.
2. Nintendo to make good on the promise that this Wii was for "Us," the gamer, after the casual Wii. NOPE.
3. Proper Zelda/Metroid/Starfox/F-Zero gameplay in glorious HD(not just a tech demo). Nope.
4. A Mario game that looked like it was carefully crafted to be a masterpiece like SMB1-3 & World & 64 were. NOPE. More "NEW" Super Mario crap.

Ugh, I'm very disappointed. I hope in the coming days that more GOOD news pours out and that this conference was just for the media/casual crowds BS people. All these companies need to learn that E3 is for GAMERS, not casuals.

Where the hell is Retro's project? You can't even at least HINT what it is? Really?

That's...I can't even describe that. fuck.

Disappointing, no SSMB and no pokemon titles at all. Pokemon is a cash cow so I am surprised they aren't pushing it out the door. Both other companies answered the Wii U with similar setups and those use the hardware you already have. I also wanted to see more games, releasing a couple franchise games and remakes of a bunch of games that are already out on other consoles (at a lower price point) isn't going to cut it. I am so sick of waiting years for games to come out. Call me impatient and entitled but if I am going to spend $$$ on this console at launch I had better have content and games AT LAUNCH and lots of it. I really wish Nintendo wouldn't hold back. There is nothing new here, except for Sing which I won't be using.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']2. Nintendo to make good on the promise that this Wii was for "Us," the gamer, after the casual Wii. NOPE.[/quote]

Well, prepare to be disappointed for a while. You are not their primary market anymore. While I expect there will be more gamer games for the WiiU than the Wii, the casual/family market is their main market right now.

3. Proper Zelda/Metroid/Starfox/F-Zero gameplay in glorious HD(not just a tech demo). Nope.

This is the third time I saw someone being disappointed that there wasn't a Zelda game shown. Considering that they just put out a Zelda game last year, what makes you think it would have been on the radar?

I agree that Nintendo is leaning way too hard on Mario right now.

Regarding graphic muscle.... yeah. Still not seeing as more than an HD triplet at the moment.
The slowdown and tearing in the Lego game did not instill hope either.

Pikmin looked good but to be honest, seemed like an HD update to the GC engine. It should have some nice effects and textures though not possible before.

I also thought the music game fad was over, they are kinda leaning on that right now too with Sing. I don't think anyone in America is going to latch onto Sing, in Japan, yes people will probably love it. Also with Wii Fit, I don't know anyone who has used their balance board more than a week after they bought it. I don't think those people who have already traded it in or gotten rid of it are going to re-buy it for a new Wii Fit. Exercise software doesn't work because the majority of people don't use it for more than a week, America also doesn't care about weighing themselves every single day like Japanese people do.

Not sure if anyone posted, but ME3 on Facebook put this!

BioWare officially makes its debut on the Wii U with Mass Effect 3! We are excited for the opportunity to bring Commander Shepard to the new Nintendo Wii U console. Mass Effect 3 will be coming as a launch title on the Wii U and is expected Holiday 2012. Stay tuned for updates of Mass Effect 3 on the Wii U.

WiiU for 2012? :O

[quote name='ATK']Not sure if anyone posted, but ME3 on Facebook put this!

BioWare officially makes its debut on the Wii U with Mass Effect 3! We are excited for the opportunity to bring Commander Shepard to the new Nintendo Wii U console. Mass Effect 3 will be coming as a launch title on the Wii U and is expected Holiday 2012. Stay tuned for updates of Mass Effect 3 on the Wii U.

WiiU for 2012? :O[/QUOTE]

Woohoo! another old game.

[quote name='KingBroly']
No Metroid, no Donkey Kong, no Star Fox, no Zelda, no F-Zero, nothing. This is more depressing than 2008.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jkam']WTF Nintendo? It seriously feels like the Wii launch all over again. All of that was pretty lame. I was really rooting for Nintendo but it was really a disappointment. I like Mario games but talking about 3 mario games for the 3DS and 1 for the Wii U as a part of the conference is getting old. Nintendoland? WTF? Nintendo needs to stop relying SO MUCH ON THE PAST greatness of it's lineup and move forward.[/QUOTE]

And this is the problem. You can't please everybody.

I missed this presser. Did they address the one Controller per system limitation? This is the one thing that will make me think twice about the WiiU. Everything else is a wait and see. I love all the overreaction to stuff at E3 though, both positive and (mostly) negative. It makes me chuckle.

[quote name='ATK']Not sure if anyone posted, but ME3 on Facebook put this!

WiiU for 2012? :O[/QUOTE]

Is that last part a question, or sarcasm?

Anyway yes its slated for 2012 from everything we have known.. that is why its so surprising to not have a ton of info on it yet..

Nah, I think it looks cool but I am not sure holding it for a long time would be comfortable.

Pikmin 3 is all I needed to hear.

[quote name='confoosious']And this is the problem. You can't please everybody.

[/QUOTE]

I would have taken anything KingBroly said over what we got. Yes Wii U can do 2 screen controllers.

[quote name='dallow']http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/e3_2012/wiiu/index.html

Per translations.[/QUOTE]

Wow that sucks, people play for longer than 3-5 hours per session, hope you can at least play with it while its plugged in. You should be able to play while plugged into any USB wall outlet charger or else its really going to be tough to manage especially if one person puts it down then another wants to play. What happens when the internal batteries dies for good, which it eventually will? Will Nintendo even sell replacement batteries for it?

Its already hard enough to keep Wii remotes powered up for the few times you want to actually play Wii. If I put batteries in my remotes then I want to play a month or 2 later the batteries are half drained already, and I use eneloops. The remotes eat batteries while they are sitting. Its inconvienient to have to charge batteries for several hours right before you want to play, since you can't anticipate fully when you want to play. Using regular batteries would be a terrible waste.

The last thing I need in my house is another device that requires constant charging, I have enough things that require constant charging, or at least charging once a day.

[quote name='ATK']I meant more so the release date.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha...think they mentioned in the conference holiday 2012 no?

[quote name='SaraAB']Wow that sucks, people play for longer than 3-5 hours per session, hope you can at least play with it while its plugged in. You should be able to play while plugged into any USB wall outlet charger or else its really going to be tough to manage especially if one person puts it down then another wants to play. What happens when the internal batteries dies for good, which it eventually will? Will Nintendo even sell replacement batteries for it?

Its already hard enough to keep Wii remotes powered up for the few times you want to actually play Wii. If I put batteries in my remotes then I want to play a month or 2 later the batteries are half drained already, and I use eneloops. The remotes eat batteries while they are sitting. Its inconvienient to have to charge batteries for several hours right before you want to play, since you can't anticipate fully when you want to play. Using regular batteries would be a terrible waste.

The last thing I need in my house is another device that requires constant charging, I have enough things that require constant charging, or at least charging once a day.[/QUOTE]

So... You are saying you want unpowered wired controllers?

Personally, I have no problem keeping my Wii Remots in charge, but I also don't have long sessions of play. If you don't play it often, having a regular set of batteries wouldn't be that much of a waste. Otherwise, yeah you are going to have to plug them in or have a freshly charged rechargables at the ready. There isn't another option.

I would have liked it better if the gamepad did take AAs like the Wii Remotes, but that probably isn't possible.

[quote name='seanr1221']Well, I'm certainly not convinced on buying Wii U after that showing.

MS wins because Halo 4 looked like the best game of the show. Bye.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was pretty awesome until someone pointed out the game looks kinda like Metroid Prime. After that, I couldn't get past the fact that some things give too much of an impression of Prime.

Interesting seeing the "wait and see" folks from the past few weeks reeling from this suck-fest of a conference.

Pikmin 3 was the highlight and that's a Wii game with tacked on U functionality (much like Twilight Princess). Even then it was somewhat disappointing. Nintendo has HD at their fingertips now and it still looks like a Gamecube/Wii game. I love the first two so this complaint comes from the heart, but I was hoping beyond hope that they would have grown some. Imagine Flower(PSN) level beauty with Pikmin & Olimar running around. :drool: Not every franchise needs to remain in the pre-teen cutesy realm. Pikmin was ripe for launching Nintendo into HD gaming.

As for the rest... not exactly selling the system/concept to the disenchanted Wii owners. Then ending on a mini-game collection? There aren't enough :roll: smilies on the internet for that one. You would think in the past 5 years they would have had a few core games deep into development for launch. I guess they were too busy rolling around in their billions of dollars to make the effort.

For the first time since the NES I won't be getting a Nintendo console on launch day. It's kinda disappointing to end that streak.

[quote name='Vinny']I thought it was pretty awesome until someone pointed out the game looks kinda like Metroid Prime. After that, I couldn't get past the fact that some things give too much of an impression of Prime.[/QUOTE]

Isn't a designer from retro working for 343?

Either way it's not a bad thing. The prime games are great.

Personally, it comes down to cost. As for everything else Nintendo's presentation was aimed not at the gamer but more at the business point of view.

[quote name='seanr1221']Isn't a designer from retro working for 343?

Either way it's not a bad thing. The prime games are great.[/QUOTE]

I'll gladly take a little Prime in the Halo campaign experience. They are both great franchises that should taste great together.

bread's done
Back