Nintendo E3 2012 Week (CHAT IS UP)

[quote name='KingBroly']Tonight is the Developer Roundtable.[/QUOTE]

Ah ok, thanks. Not broadcast anywhere, is it?

Apperantly Nintendoland will consist of 12 mini games. I''m interested but I almost feel like it has to be bundled with the system to be worthwile to most people.

Being able to transfer VC games is very nice. That's the only reason I've been holding on to my Wii (lol) since I was hoping they would make some kind of definitive announcement about it. I was about to trade in the console for $70 to Gamestop but now I'll hang onto it so I can transfer in the future.

Is there anything besides Nintendoland they want to talk about? I get enough mini type games from the 8,000,000 indie games I get from bundles :lol:

[quote name='Josh5890']Because I bought 30+ games and I'd like to transfer them if possible.[/QUOTE]This was confirmed earlier today. Thought you meant something else.

That is a casual title that has a potential to sell a lot and Freestyle still acts as an independent studio even under Activision, while Ninja Gaiden bombed both in sales and reviews.

[quote name='BLink']The real question is 'why is Nintendo publishing Ninja's Gaiden?'. Tecmo backed out after seeing the reviews?[/QUOTE]

Because they forced them to make it a real Ninja Gaiden. Dismemberments and all.

Seriously, after today, I want to cry as a Nintendo fan. :cry:

I'm with others that this will be the first non-handheld Nintendo system I don't get at launch (so far). While Pikmen 3 looks sweet, and NSMBU is a must buy, they aren't system sellers for me. New Zelda/Mario/Metroid? Shut up and take my money. Until then I can wait (like I did with the 3DS for Zelda and Mario with a nice price drop).

Hard to get pumped about a machine when I'm already long since sold on it. I've wanted the Wii U since last year's E3. Come on Nintendo just tell me when I can buy the fuckin' thing.

I hope we get some good news from the 3DS conference...

[quote name='bjstucker']seriously If motion gaming becomes the future on all systems I am bowing out and taking up PC gaming.[/QUOTE]

k dude. keep us updated.

[quote name='illmatic21']Being able to transfer VC games is very nice. That's the only reason I've been holding on to my Wii (lol) since I was hoping they would make some kind of definitive announcement about it.[/QUOTE]

I'm keeping mine for GC compatibility. It's the only system I've ever let collect dust, normally I sell them off once I don't play regularly. But it's worth keeping around for WW and MKDD alone.

However, if GC titles become available on the VC, I would consider ditching the Wii and buying a WIIU.

[quote name='illmatic21']Being able to transfer VC games is very nice. That's the only reason I've been holding on to my Wii (lol) since I was hoping they would make some kind of definitive announcement about it.[/QUOTE]

I'm keeping mine for GC compatibility. It's the only system I've ever let collect dust, normally I sell them off once I don't play regularly. But it's worth keeping around for WW and MKDD alone.

However, if GC titles become available on the VC, I would consider ditching the Wii and buying a WIIU.

[quote name='bjstucker']seriously If motion gaming becomes the future on all systems I am bowing out and taking up PC gaming.[/QUOTE]

We know you love Doodle Jump.

[quote name='Zmonkay']I'm with others that this will be the first non-handheld Nintendo system I don't get at launch (so far). While Pikmen 3 looks sweet, and NSMBU is a must buy, they aren't system sellers for me. New Zelda/Mario/Metroid? Shut up and take my money. Until then I can wait (like I did with the 3DS for Zelda and Mario with a nice price drop).[/QUOTE]

Same here. I have a feeling the WiiU will get to a tipping point for me when there aren't any "system sellers" to play but when you add up Pikmin 3, NSMBU, Mario and whatever else is good/great but not mind-blowing I'll end up getting one - hopefully on the cheap like my 3DS (which I got for $125 and I'm still not sold on although Mario and Zelda are fantastic).

The conference wasn't great but it was geared towards the investors not to the gamers. Which sucks since we the gamers are the ones that buy the game but we all tend to forget that the big 3 are all companies out to make money.

[quote name='Vinny']God that pissed me off. My heart stopped and all I could think was if it was Zelda or Mario or Metroid or maybe a completely new IP. Nope, more shit.

I still have my fingers crossed in hopes of a new 3DS announced later, near the end of the show or something.[/QUOTE]

Think about this for a second strictly from a business perspective.. the first year they have the clear run, it will be the new gaming technology and have hype from that alone.. a few other games will pop up between now and then for the release window..

Save the big hitters for when the next systems drop.. so say the PS4/720 are releasing with something or you can get a wiiu with a starting to develope library and a heavy hitter or two the following Holiday season..

thats not a gamers idea of bliss, but it helps them int he following year, and it gives the 3rd parties some time to get games out without a lot of 1st party competition..

In the end this will have limited 3rd party support again probably.. maybe not now that its HD, but most likely.. we will see.

[quote name='illmatic21']Being able to transfer VC games is very nice. That's the only reason I've been holding on to my Wii (lol) since I was hoping they would make some kind of definitive announcement about it. I was about to trade in the console for $70 to Gamestop but now I'll hang onto it so I can transfer in the future.[/QUOTE]

I was trying to make the same decision. But I'm glad I didn't for a different reason. I'd rather not play a system I own now, than plan to spend $300 to not play a system later. I'm not sure what I want out of Nintendo, but nothing I've seen makes me excited.

[quote name='Javery']Same here. I have a feeling the WiiU will get to a tipping point for me when there aren't any "system sellers" to play but when you add up Pikmin 3, NSMBU, Mario and whatever else is good/great but not mind-blowing I'll end up getting one - hopefully on the cheap like my 3DS (which I got for $125 and I'm still not sold on although Mario and Zelda are fantastic).[/QUOTE]

I think if half the games they showed yesterday are pretty good, it is a solid launch lineup. I've rarely seen greatness from a launch lineup. Usually, the best games for a console come a couple years down the line when developers have had time to know the ins and outs of a console and get the most out of it. Like the Wii before it, there is going to be a learning curve with the new controller and there is going to be ideas that look stupid in hindsight.

No matter what they displayed, there wasn't any way I was getting this at launch because I have such a huge backlog of games, but I could see getting this down the road. That being said, I've seen people in other boards not act so jaded and are still excited about this new platform.

I'm excited about it. A lot.

The trick is to just get over the fact that the 16-bit glory days are gone. It's over. They're never coming back. You either take what's on offer for what it is or make yourself miserable wishing for something else. Pikmin 3 is gonna be fun!

[quote name='TheLongshot']I've rarely seen greatness from a launch lineup. [/QUOTE]

- Super Mario Bros.
- Super Mario World
- Super Mario 64

ALL TIME GREATS! You could even make a case for Wii Sports (although I think it will age extremely poorly, if it already hasn't) so their track record at launch is pretty good but on a significant decline over the last 2 consoles. I don't think people will be playing Wave Race or Luigi's Mansion in 20 years so the GameCube is definitely left out of the discussion. Maybe NSMBU will be an all time great but I'm not so sure. I don't know. I just wish there was more to be excited about regarding WiiU...

Super Mario Bros. was only a launch title in the US. Famicom launch lineup was crap. Nintendo had several (3?) years of experience working with the Famicom before releasing Super Mario Bros.

I'll handily give you SM64 and Super Mario World. SMW is in my permanent top 3 with LttP and Mother 2. The game is just incredible.

[quote name='cochesecochese']I'll handily give you SM64 and Super Mario World. SMW is in my permanent top 3 with LttP and Mother 2. The game is just incredible.[/QUOTE]

Certainly I'll give you those. That being said, this is going to be a much stronger launch lineup than the Wii's. Really, looking at that list of games is a bunch of suck, with probably Twilight Princess and Raving Rabbids being the highlight.

But yeah, nothing looks to be quite on the level of those games, but I don't see too many launch games being THAT good. (Or, have aged well.)

I come here to read some Wii U comments, but it's all about Mario stuff from the past for some reason... Anyhow, Nintendo fans, please let me know if you have answers to the following Wii U questions.

1. Will the Wii U have an online community like Xbox Live and PSN? You know, one that you can see what your friends playing or are they online or not?

2. Will the Wii U have Nintendo achievements/trophies? I know it's not a big deal to some (or many), but I like automatic video game logs attached to my gaming tag, basically keep tracks of the games I played, approximately how far to total completion etc. The stat then can be used to compare with friends or players from all over the world.

Well, I'm very relieved that they are going to have transfer functions for both the VC games and for Wii game saves (I'm assuming this will include all those saves that can't be copied to SD cards). It made the most sense to do so, but over the years I've learned that doesn't mean much.

This is especially good news for me, as now I don't have to spend $90 to get my Wii repaired (launch unit with a bad GPU thanks to WiiConnect24). Unfortunately, I was thinking about skipping out on the WiiU all together before this; so I guess it isn't really saving me money at all. ;)

iwatabomba.gif

[quote name='Javery']- Super Mario Bros.
- Super Mario World
- Super Mario 64

ALL TIME GREATS! You could even make a case for Wii Sports (although I think it will age extremely poorly, if it already hasn't) so their track record at launch is pretty good but on a significant decline over the last 2 consoles. I don't think people will be playing Wave Race or Luigi's Mansion in 20 years so the GameCube is definitely left out of the discussion. Maybe NSMBU will be an all time great but I'm not so sure. I don't know. I just wish there was more to be excited about regarding WiiU...[/QUOTE]

I white knight for it every so often, but LM is seriously underrated. It's not a SMW-level launch title, but it's no Twilight Princess. LM2 being slated for the 3DS is a huge disappointment, if it were a WIIU title I would be much more interested in the console.

And since when are we pretending that the NSMB games have a shot at "great"? Are we even going to pretend they're "good" relative to other Mario 2D platformers?

I liked NSMB a lot. YMMV.

Luigi's Mansion clearly needs to be on WiiU as well as it would be an utterly perfect fit with the WiiU controller, but I don't think it will be bad as a 3DS game. Hopefully the 3DS game is successful and then a WiiU LM game is forthcoming at a later date.

[quote name='dothog']I white knight for it every so often, but LM is seriously underrated. It's not a SMW-level launch title, but it's no Twilight Princess. LM2 being slated for the 3DS is a huge disappointment, if it were a WIIU title I would be much more interested in the console.

And since when are we pretending that the NSMB games have a shot at "great"? Are we even going to pretend they're "good" relative to other Mario 2D platformers?[/QUOTE]

yeah, LM was awesome. WAY too short but man were those some impressive graphics back in the day. The tablecloth is blowing!!! Not an all-time great but a worthy game for a system launch (same thing with Wave Race).

Regarding NSMB - A desperate person can talk himself into anything. They are fun games but bottom of the barrel in comparison to the other 2D Mario games (except SMB2 - a good game but not really). The DS game was pretty refreshing but the Wii game was just more of the same (with uninspired level design) and from the looks of it NSMBU will be even more of the same.

[quote name='KingBroly']http://t.co/Dr36CXh5

Shane Satterfield interview stating there will be no friend codes and 12 accounts per system.[/QUOTE]

That sounds promising... Hate friend codes, it's so darn awkward to enter them in the Wii.

[quote name='roger watersmelon']Well, I'm very relieved that they are going to have transfer functions for both the VC games and for Wii game saves (I'm assuming this will include all those saves that can't be copied to SD cards). It made the most sense to do so, but over the years I've learned that doesn't mean much.

This is especially good news for me, as now I don't have to spend $90 to get my Wii repaired (launch unit with a bad GPU thanks to WiiConnect24). Unfortunately, I was thinking about skipping out on the WiiU all together before this; so I guess it isn't really saving me money at all. ;)[/QUOTE]

unless they make you wait 2 years before the transfer happens. they said you could transfer the game but did they say it would happen day 1

[quote name='Javery'] I don't think people will be playing Wave Race or Luigi's Mansion in 20 years[/QUOTE]

I want a new Wave Race game for Wii U =(

[quote name='Javery']Regarding NSMB - A desperate person can talk himself into anything. They are fun games but bottom of the barrel in comparison to the other 2D Mario games (except SMB2 - a good game but not really). The DS game was pretty refreshing but the Wii game was just more of the same (with uninspired level design) and from the looks of it NSMBU will be even more of the same.[/QUOTE]

NSMBW had some pretty cool level design after the 3rd world. With 4-player coop it also got pretty challenging because of sheer dickery. I'm sure being able to box players out with the U Pad is going to be an extreme form of trolling.

So for Miiverse, will we be able to talk to random people and will we now have achievements and being told what games our friends play/own like on 360?

[quote name='KingBroly']NSMBW had some pretty cool level design after the 3rd world. With 4-player coop it also got pretty challenging because of sheer dickery. I'm sure being able to box players out with the U Pad is going to be an extreme form of trolling.[/QUOTE]

I never tried co-op in NSMBW but I didn't think anything in the game was extraordinary - or at least I felt like I had "been there done that" since NSMB (DS) was so, um... new. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was still a great game but just not "Mario great" if that makes any sense. Also, DKC was way more fun, IMO.

Nintendo, I love you. But I did not love this conference and don't consider you "the winner of E3" like I did for the past two years.

I think they let Reggie talk for way too long without a break and the conference dragged as a result (it wasn't until they got to Just Dance 4 until Reggie came off as ... human). I also didn't like how they made WiiU still sound like a controller accessory for Wii. I don't recall getting a good look at the console itself because the controller was in front of it in pictures.

I think the system has potential though. I love the ideas presented in Batman (I admit I marked out for the Harley sequence onward) and ZombiU that let you control devices and weapon trajectory to advance. A detective game that lets you interrogate suspects and search for clues using the controller could be incredible. Although I wouldn't buy Just Dance, I like how they showed how someone could change gameplay on the pad without other players noticing. That would be a fun idea for puzzle games and a test on reflexes in general.

But I didn't hate the conference. Miyamoto has yet to disappoint me with his enthusiasm. The new Mario games look fantastic; in fact, the 3DS segment was my favorite segment ( I forget the guy's name but the man talking about it was more high energy than Reggie). Maybe Reggie needs to play off others because I liked whenever he interacted with someone on stage (including his zombie self).

I don't own a Wii so there is a good chance I will get the WiiU. Nevertheless, this conference could have been better.

Summary: C

[quote name='Josh5890']Anybody expecting much from the 3DS conference tonight?[/QUOTE]

still hoping for an annoucement on a 3ds redesign... but i doubt it will happen.

[quote name='Cage017']Nintendo, I love you. But I did not love this conference and don't consider you "the winner of E3" like I did for the past two years.

I think they let Reggie talk for way too long without a break and the conference dragged as a result (it wasn't until they got to Just Dance 4 until Reggie came off as ... human). I also didn't like how they made WiiU still sound like a controller accessory for Wii. I don't recall getting a good look at the console itself because the controller was in front of it in pictures.

I think the system has potential though. I love the ideas presented in Batman (I admit I marked out for the Harley sequence onward) and ZombiU that let you control devices and weapon trajectory to advance. A detective game that lets you interrogate suspects and search for clues using the controller could be incredible. Although I wouldn't buy Just Dance, I like how they showed how someone could change gameplay on the pad without other players noticing. That would be a fun idea for puzzle games and a test on reflexes in general.

But I didn't hate the conference. Miyamoto has yet to disappoint me with his enthusiasm. The new Mario games look fantastic; in fact, the 3DS segment was my favorite segment ( I forget the guy's name but the man talking about it was more high energy than Reggie). Maybe Reggie needs to play off others because I liked whenever he interacted with someone on stage (including his zombie self).

I don't own a Wii so there is a good chance I will get the WiiU. Nevertheless, this conference could have been better.

Summary: C[/QUOTE]

Reggie kinda sucks in my opinion, he just seems plain and boring and just how he comes off sucks. I wish he would go more into detail about certain things than just dragging on about on thing. I wish they showed more of Mii Verse than just the same we saw on Sunday

[quote name='KingBroly']http://t.co/Dr36CXh5

Shane Satterfield interview stating there will be no friend codes and 12 accounts per system.[/QUOTE]

Accounts: check!
No Friend codes: check!

That's two biggies. If they go with NintendoLand as a pack-in (which he says they haven't decided yet) then that is another plus.

From other sources:

Ability to tranfer WiiWare titles: BIG check! (and probably enough for me to get one at launch vs. waiting)
Pikmin 3: check (If NintendoLand is a pack-in and I can buy Pikmin at or near launch, that's all I need)

I'm encouraged - though of course much more detail needs to come out.

[quote name='slidecage']unless they make you wait 2 years before the transfer happens. they said you could transfer the game but did they say it would happen day 1[/QUOTE]
I said I was going to buy the system, but did I say it would happen day 1 :D

[quote name='Javery']I never tried co-op in NSMBW but I didn't think anything in the game was extraordinary - or at least I felt like I had "been there done that" since NSMB (DS) was so, um... new. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was still a great game but just not "Mario great" if that makes any sense. Also, DKC was way more fun, IMO.[/QUOTE]

I thought NSMB was very very good, but Rayman: Origins was 10x the game NSMB was. Needless to say Rayman: Legends has my attention, NSMB2-notsomuch.

bread's done
Back