Nintendo E3 2012 Week (CHAT IS UP)

[quote name='slidecage']im taking there was no talk of a 3ds XL then[/QUOTE]

no separate 3DS event tomorrow night. Maybe then?

[quote name='jkam']I would have taken anything KingBroly said over what we got. Yes Wii U can do 2 screen controllers.[/QUOTE]

I thought they said it WILL be able to use 2 screen controllers, but not right away, that it would be implemented later?

The thing is...I feel like they're trying to duplicate the Wii strategy again, but this time are openly admitting to it. But I don't feel like they've got "THE GAME" at launch. New Super Mario Bros. U, while a 2D Mario game, at its' heart, is still catered towards the casual gamer. Why should I care about social gaming features for Mario? I'd rather play with friends online then see their wall of smack text after I die.

Pikmin 3 looked great, it really did, but again, I don't see that push from them to take their franchises THAT NEED IT online. Now maybe Pikmin 3 does have 4-player online co-op, but they didn't talk about it, so I assume it doesn't exist.

And the Project P-100 stuff, that game should have been at the Conference. Seriously, the best thing, and it's a new IP. And then you have Nintendo Land...yeah.

At least give me some kind of indication these franchises are in the works for the system besides Smash Bros. and Zelda (Which we know are coming). It feels like...and maybe I'm wrong, that this system is coming out rushed. What we assumed were tight NDA's just so happened to be...nothing. Almost nothing announced today was entirely new, and that sucks.

Maybe a new Metroid or DK game will be unveiled during the roundtable tonight, but man...as a Nintendo fan, this is 2008 levels of bad.

At least New Super Mario Bros. 2 looked crazy (So many Coins!) and the return of proper Paper Mario.

That's not really all that surprising to be honest.

Also, Ninja Gaiden 3 on Wii U will actually be a Ninja Gaiden game with multiple weapons, NINPO, character/weapon progression, improved enemy AI and dismemberment. Yikes.

[quote name='myl0r']I thought they said it WILL be able to use 2 screen controllers, but not right away, that it would be implemented later?[/QUOTE]

that is what I said?

[quote name='TheLongshot']So... You are saying you want unpowered wired controllers?

Personally, I have no problem keeping my Wii Remots in charge, but I also don't have long sessions of play. If you don't play it often, having a regular set of batteries wouldn't be that much of a waste. Otherwise, yeah you are going to have to plug them in or have a freshly charged rechargables at the ready. There isn't another option.

I would have liked it better if the gamepad did take AAs like the Wii Remotes, but that probably isn't possible.[/QUOTE]

Swappable Wii Tablet batteries with a separate charger to charge the one you aren't using is the only solution here. This could easily be done. Also if Nintendo doesn't do this I am sure a 3rd party will come out with a battery and charging kit, provided the user can replace the battery themselves. I can see it being very annoying if you run out of batteries while still wanting to use the tablet though.

I also assume you can play with this plugged in which would solve the problems. If I was buying this I wouldn't have an issue at all with keeping it plugged in when I have to as long as I can play while its plugged in.

It would be nice if the tablet could take AA's but realistically they would probably be too heavy for the tablet and would probably make it very uncomfortable to hold, this is a bad solution.

I love the xbox 360 controllers because I have to change the batteries once a month or twice at the most if I play a lot and 10 hour gaming sessions are possible without having to worry about power. I don't even play that much on a single session but it is nice to have long battery life for those that do. I know there are people out there who play for 10 hours without stopping.

Which reminds me that they didn't show that pro controller I have seen in pictures.

[quote name='KingBroly']The thing is...I feel like they're trying to duplicate the Wii strategy again, but this time are openly admitting to it. But I don't feel like they've got "THE GAME" at launch. New Super Mario Bros. U, while a 2D Mario game, at its' heart, is still catered towards the casual gamer. Why should I care about social gaming features for Mario? I'd rather play with friends online then see their wall of smack text after I die.

Pikmin 3 looked great, it really did, but again, I don't see that push from them to take their franchises THAT NEED IT online. Now maybe Pikmin 3 does have 4-player online co-op, but they didn't talk about it, so I assume it doesn't exist.

And the Project P-100 stuff, that game should have been at the Conference. Seriously, the best thing, and it's a new IP. And then you have Nintendo Land...yeah.

At least give me some kind of indication these franchises are in the works for the system besides Smash Bros. and Zelda (Which we know are coming). It feels like...and maybe I'm wrong, that this system is coming out rushed. What we assumed were tight NDA's just so happened to be...nothing. Almost nothing announced today was entirely new, and that sucks.

Maybe a new Metroid or DK game will be unveiled during the roundtable tonight, but man...as a Nintendo fan, this is 2008 levels of bad.

At least New Super Mario Bros. 2 looked crazy (So many Coins!) and the return of proper Paper Mario.[/QUOTE]
this encases my feelings entirely. i mean third party is awesome and everything, but everyone knows that nintendo lives off of their first party games. mario and pikmin are cool, but to sell systems they will need a launch zelda game or a metroid/star fox game (where the fuck was retro???), which doesn't look like it is happening. not only did the wii have the gimmicky wii sports, but it also had twilight princess (although it was a port).

i really felt that the 5 minutes we got of 3ds was way more interesting and exciting. and that is said considering we already knew about those games. paper mario is easily looking the best, but i know i will be buying all 3 of those games this year. glad to be an owner of a 3ds. i have to say, when the guy said 'a whole lot of luigi" i sort of got the hint at a bundle witha green 3ds. hahah, that would be badass

hopefully tomorrow's showcase redeems nintendo a bit. i am still excited about the wii u, but i will approach it like i did the 3ds; patience.

I mean, where are the standard third party games? The only thing from EA is Mass Effect 3, and while I can appreciate that since it is a surprise, where's Madden? Why not a ME collection since the first two weren't on Nintendo consoles? Where's Capcom? Where's Konami? You're saying you can get Platinum Games on board but not these guys? What about non-Japanese support?

Where's Retro's title? Where's this supposed new IP from Miyamoto? Next Level Games? Silicon Knights (even though everything was pointing toward that being bullshit)?

Why was there a FULL YEAR of secrecy and then virtually nothing new announced? This is just as confusing and weirdly mismanaged as the reveal from a year ago, except now you've got the added pent up cockteasing in overdrive, and virtually no outlets.

What about the rumors of Steamworks and/or Origin integration? No word on transferring VC titles?

I'm just shocked at how out of touch this entire thing is after the seemingly on-target buzz from the last few weeks. Nothing at all is adding up given the sheer dense atmosphere of "don't worry, cool stuff is in the works."

For the first time since the NES I won't be getting a Nintendo console on launch day. It's kinda disappointing to end that streak.

Same here. Considering they were launching a new console, that was basically a total disaster. Really nothing of interest for me -- Pikmin 3 might be great but it's not enough to get me there on Day 1. Guess the silver lining is the $300+ I won't need to spend on it.

Also funny watching the panel on Spike after it was over basically reiterate how awful it was. Seemed like everyone kept waiting for that big moment and something that would generate more than tepid applause -- and didn't get it.

WHERE are the games? No new franchises, no "must have" purchases -- just shocking.

[quote name='RELISCH']hopefully tomorrow's showcase redeems nintendo a bit. i am still excited about the wii u, but i will approach it like i did the 3ds; patience.[/QUOTE]

This is ultimately it. There are certainly launch details we don't have yet, but it still looks like it will be a stronger launch than the 3DS (Not saying much, I know). But, I expect it will have a better fate than the Wii for us.

That being said, I understand the disappointment currently. The press conference did seem horribly incomplete. There still is a lot of information that is needed by the consumer and two events at E3 didn't really address that info. I mean, basic info like a price should have come out here.

[quote name='jkam']that is what I said?[/QUOTE]

yeah, you did say it could do two screen controllers, but I was clarifying that it wouldn't be able to at launch. I suppose the confusion came with my emphasis on WILL. sorry about that.

[quote name='Strell']I mean, where are the standard third party games? The only thing from EA is Mass Effect 3, and while I can appreciate that since it is a surprise, where's Madden? Why not a ME collection since the first two weren't on Nintendo consoles? Where's Capcom? Where's Konami? You're saying you can get Platinum Games on board but not these guys? What about non-Japanese support?

Where's Retro's title? Where's this supposed new IP from Miyamoto? Next Level Games? Silicon Knights (even though everything was pointing toward that being bullshit)?

Why was there a FULL YEAR of secrecy and then virtually nothing new announced? This is just as confusing and weirdly mismanaged as the reveal from a year ago, except now you've got the added pent up cockteasing in overdrive, and virtually no outlets.

What about the rumors of Steamworks and/or Origin integration? No word on transferring VC titles?

I'm just shocked at how out of touch this entire thing is after the seemingly on-target buzz from the last few weeks. Nothing at all is adding up given the sheer dense atmosphere of "don't worry, cool stuff is in the works."[/QUOTE]

Spot on as usual Strell. I love how they had to schedule so many conferences to announce pretty much nothing.

Pikmin 3 looks like the bees knees though.

Nintendo needs to get a spee...

fuck it, ALL of these guys need a fucking speech writer. Sony and Microsoft too. Someone to write out the shit and plan out these conferences. I could do this shit and at least make everything look slick. You're telling me we can have world class programmers and artists NOT write a goddamn hour long speech with a set of passable theatrics while delivering targeted messages?

I just can't buy that. I really can't. You guys need liasons. All of you. Except for Tak Fuji. That guy is already perfect. He'd make a killing renting himself out for birthday parties.

I think bringing out Jeremiah from 5th Cell was probably the best person on stage during the thing. Miyamoto was good, except for the whole 'being talked over' part. Everything was just brown nosing between suits, and it was obvious.

If the presentations had enough announcements to generate hype then it would have gotten applause and the core gamers ready to buy a new console. The core gamers are the ones who are going to line up at launch to buy the systems. For all 3 companies involved I think the public is going to have a hard time purchasing a Wii U, PS4, or XBox 720 if that is even what its going to be called when they already have a system in their living room that does pretty much everything they want it to do. Especially since the economy is pretty bad right now. I can see the Wii U being a hot gift item this holiday season, but how often it will get played after the initial excitement wears off remains to be seen. As the owner of multiple systems I am looking for a console that keeps up the momentum with fresh ideas and fresh games. The Wii U does not look like it will do that for me.

If any company is fresh right now its Apple, they are a juggernaut that can't be stopped, if NIntendo's showing isn't good enough people will pick an apple product or one of the cheaper, current gen systems,over their system. They simply don't have the same freshness or hotness that they had when the Wii was released, so they can't sell the console on the basis of it will be hard to find or its an absolutely must have product that does something totally different than anyone else.

Nintendo also doesn't seem to have a system in place for achievements or game play tracking. This is REALLY big for me right now, as gaming feels pretty pointless if my playtime does not add up to something, even if it is a useless trophy or points on my gamerscore which really don't do anything I know but it is still fun to earn them. Even the fact that my gameplay is being tracked by Raptr right now and can possibly add up to free games or incentives is enough of an incentive to get me to play more because I have the possibility of being rewarded for playing games. I want to see Nintendo develop a system where all those game play hours you play amount to something. As of right now if I was picking Batman AA on a console I would choose Xbox 360 or PS3 because I know I can earn something out of them, but with the Wii U version, my gameplay hours disappear into oblivion and I have nothing to show for it when I finish the game.

ZombieU looks terrible in execution. At least Ubisoft actually showed something for the new hardware unlike Nintendo who showed no games for their own new hardware wtf

Initiate text wall parse...

[quote name='SaraAB']If the presentations had enough announcements to generate hype then it would have gotten applause and the core gamers ready to buy a new console. The core gamers are the ones who are going to line up at launch to buy the systems. For all 3 companies involved I think the public is going to have a hard time purchasing a Wii U, PS4, or XBox 720 if that is even what its going to be called when they already have a system in their living room that does pretty much everything they want it to do. Especially since the economy is pretty bad right now. I can see the Wii U being a hot gift item this holiday season, but how often it will get played after the initial excitement wears off remains to be seen. As the owner of multiple systems I am looking for a console that keeps up the momentum with fresh ideas and fresh games. The Wii U does not look like it will do that for me.

If any company is fresh right now its Apple, they are a juggernaut that can't be stopped, if NIntendo's showing isn't good enough people will pick an apple product or one of the cheaper, current gen systems,over their system. They simply don't have the same freshness or hotness that they had when the Wii was released, so they can't sell the console on the basis of it will be hard to find or its an absolutely must have product that does something totally different than anyone else.

Nintendo also doesn't seem to have a system in place for achievements or game play tracking. This is REALLY big for me right now, as gaming feels pretty pointless if my playtime does not add up to something, even if it is a useless trophy or points on my gamerscore which really don't do anything I know but it is still fun to earn them. Even the fact that my gameplay is being tracked by Raptr right now and can possibly add up to free games or incentives is enough of an incentive to get me to play more because I have the possibility of being rewarded for playing games. I want to see Nintendo develop a system where all those game play hours you play amount to something. As of right now if I was picking Batman AA on a console I would choose Xbox 360 or PS3 because I know I can earn something out of them, but with the Wii U version, my gameplay hours disappear into oblivion and I have nothing to show for it when I finish the game.[/QUOTE]

...parse complete.

[quote name='SaraAB']gaming feels pretty pointless if my playtime does not add up to something[/QUOTE]
On today, of all days, it's a little inconsiderate to troll with this bullshit on the Nintendo boards.

And if you're serious, yikes.

[quote name='renique46']ZombieU looks terrible in execution.[/QUOTE]
I think it looks terrible. Full stop. Yet more zombie zaniness, and a gussied up 2nd screen experience that looks like it complicates typical gaming in ways that aren't especially rewarding (e.g. I can point-drag items in my inventory!!! HOLY SHIT WIIU, you've done it this time!)

[quote name='SaraAB']As the owner of multiple systems I am looking for a console that keeps up the momentum with fresh ideas and fresh games. The Wii U does not look like it will do that for me.[/quote]

To be honest, no console can really satisfy that by its nature. If you want fresh ideas and fresh games, get a PC. The indie crowd is getting pretty good at keeping things fresh. The big companies are about the big franchises.

Nintendo also doesn't seem to have a system in place for achievements or game play tracking. This is REALLY big for me right now, as gaming feels pretty pointless if my playtime does not add up to something, even if it is a useless trophy or points on my gamerscore which really don't do anything I know but it is still fun to earn them. Even the fact that my gameplay is being tracked by Raptr right now and can possibly add up to free games or incentives is enough of an incentive to get me to play more because I have the possibility of being rewarded for playing games. I want to see Nintendo develop a system where all those game play hours you play amount to something. As of right now if I was picking Batman AA on a console I would choose Xbox 360 or PS3 because I know I can earn something out of them, but with the Wii U version, my gameplay hours disappear into oblivion and I have nothing to show for it when I finish the game.

Actually, we have no details either way about this. More of that lack of information I expressed earlier. It does seem to at least keep track of what you are playing, since that seems to be implied with the Miiverse thing.

[quote name='Strell']Nintendo needs to get a spee...

fuck it, ALL of these guys need a fucking speech writer. Sony and Microsoft too. Someone to write out the shit and plan out these conferences. I could do this shit and at least make everything look slick. You're telling me we can have world class programmers and artists NOT write a goddamn hour long speech with a set of passable theatrics while delivering targeted messages?

I just can't buy that. I really can't. You guys need liasons. All of you. Except for Tak Fuji. That guy is already perfect. He'd make a killing renting himself out for birthday parties.[/QUOTE]

Come on man, that Wreckateer demo during the 360 conference was teh bomb, yo!

What I loved about the Nintendo conference was Nintendo's utter confidence that they are wooing the crowd/core beyond belief and that being met with utter indifference and an auditorium filled with crickets. How many times did they have to spur the crowd with "well, what did you think?" :lol:

"Look a new 2D Mario with moar coins!"
*yawn*
"You can build blocks on the tablet to help a buddy"
*yawn*
"Well, what did you think?"
cue tepid applause.

Im looking for online play. I'm not too concerned with launch titles. Every console's launch is disappointing unless you're a huge fanboy.

[quote name='dothog']
I think it looks terrible. Full stop. Yet more zombie zaniness, and a gussied up 2nd screen experience that looks like it complicates typical gaming in ways that aren't especially rewarding (e.g. I can point-drag items in my inventory!!! HOLY SHIT WIIU, you've done it this time!)[/QUOTE]

I was thinking it look bad too but i guess the game play on spike kinda look a little ok but what made me laugh at how this game contradicts itself. They stress you don't revive, and doesn't have checkpoints and that if you get bit once your infected and you die. So then why would you even dare to make the gamer look AWAY from the screen in a game like that

I love how it ended too, with Reggie giving that last glimmer of hope to the audience.

paraphrasing

"And before we go, we want to leave you with.....

.... another trip down Nintendo Land"

[quote name='dallow']I love how it ended too, with Reggie giving that last glimmer of hope to the audience.

paraphrasing

.... another trip down Nintendo Land"[/QUOTE]

It was perfect, wasn't it? It was like...

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

then...

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Extremely disappointing conference but no way that's all the info we're getting before launch. I mean we basically know nothing except Miiverse and some launch titles. They still need to talk about online, storage, and more third party support. Iwata said japan made games will be announced later so I'm still hoping for an exciting launch cause what happened at e3 actually decreased my interest.

360-Black ops footage
Sony-Last of us footage
Nintendo-concludes with virtual FIREWORKS! yay

i also like how it was so bad that they had fake clapping.

That conference was a bore fest. What's sad is when I think Ubisoft had the best conference by miles :lol:.

Nothing really interested me there. I don't want to replay games I already played (ME3, Batman AC), and quite seriously all these NSMB games are getting annoying. I mean I love 2D Mario games but every release of NSMB is basically the same.

The most impressive part to me is that they have RTS like map movement on the Wii U screen for Pikmen. Because any RTS on a console has bad controls, and this might open up possibilities for that genre on consoles.

The most impressive game from the conference to me was actually Lego City. I really like the open world design and costume changing. NSMB did not look exciting at all honsetly, seemed too much going on at once and a lot of new, non-Mario elements.

Guy from Activision just did a "no comment" about CoD on GT so there still might be home for their games except Skylanders.

[quote name='dallow']I love how it ended too, with Reggie giving that last glimmer of hope to the audience.

paraphrasing

at first i was like: "ZELDA ZELDA ZELDA!"
then i was like: "fuck fuck fuck"

I appreciate that they decided to only show off games playable or launching with the Wii U, but the pacing was awkward and had little sizzle.

Did they practice at all?

This should have been so easy for Nintendo, they have a NEW console. I know most consoles / handhelds don't launch with the greatest line ups but I expected them to at least beat through the console specs, pricing, online service and loads of first party games.

E3 as a whole was super boring. Nintendo didn't show anything that makes me want to buy a Wii U and 3DS(No redesign). Sony didn't show anything that makes me want to buy a Vita(no price drop but ACIII bundle looks cool). And Microsoft was just blah. Niether show that many games. Hopefully for the rest of the week their will be more games shown.

[quote name='sherlock2g']E3 as a whole was super boring. Nintendo didn't show anything that makes me want to buy a Wii U and 3DS(No redesign). Sony didn't show anything that makes me want to buy a Vita(no price drop but ACIII bundle looks cool). And Microsoft was just blah. Niether show that many games. Hopefully for the rest of the week their will be more games shown.[/QUOTE]
Pretty much this for me. No one showed any games that said I need to buy this at launch except for maybe Assassin's Creed 3 (which was shown way too many times), and Watch Dogs.

paraphrasing

he's no steve jobs.

From what I saw, it will all depend on the price point for me considering this WiiU. It just doesn't grab me as I need to get this now. I can get this later and not miss anything from what I took away today.

[quote name='Loonknight']From what I saw, it will all depend on the price point for me considering this WiiU. It just doesn't grab me as I need to get this now. I can get this later and not miss anything from what I took away today.[/QUOTE]

didnt they say the WII u will be between 300 to 400

[quote name='KingBroly']http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technol...pad-to-play-old-wii-games-company-says-at-e3/

Transfers are Happening. Just like I said.[/QUOTE]

Weird:

"ABC News has learned that there are no brightness controls for the touch screen Wii U GamePad controller, which might have been a good option for saving batteries. This is in line with how other Nintendo handhelds operate; the Nintendo 3DS offers no control over screen brightness."

wha?

Nevertheless, for those (one) people stressing over batteries:

"Players will have the ability to charge their wireless GamePad controllers using a GamePad cradle that will come with the system, according to Moffitt, so anyone worried about running low on juice during extended gameplay can rest easy."

I imagine screen brightness is handheld at the software level, not the hardware level. Just like the 3DS.

[quote name='KingBroly']I imagine screen brightness is handheld at the software level, not the hardware level. Just like the 3DS.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, just another instance of misinformed mainstream media.

Best part of the conference for me was Pikmin 3.

Game looks outstanding and I can't wait to play it (although looking at what is being offered, I can't say I'm going to get a WiiU at launch...).

Unfortunately everything after Pikmin 3 kind of went downhill, but I am intrigued by the controller.

Things I really like about the Wii U controller:

-able to turn on TV and console independent of a separate remote, adjust volume using controller
-ability to plug in headphones to the controller
-stereo speakers (although if they are as bad as the wii controller... fuck that shit)
-ability to play games in another room (would be fantastic if you could play 20-30 feet away but I doubt it)
-Gameplay mechanics (using the controller as a scope/map/etc)

I think the controller screen is going to be a great addition for a lot of games because it will send all the clutter (HP gauge, items, map, etc) onto the little controller screen and allow a full pictured gaming experience on the HDTV.

paraphrasing

God that pissed me off. My heart stopped and all I could think was if it was Zelda or Mario or Metroid or maybe a completely new IP. Nope, more shit.

I still have my fingers crossed in hopes of a new 3DS announced later, near the end of the show or something.

I'm surprised at the surprise for the battery life for the WUG (Wii U Gamepad). 3-5 hours streaming data constantly seems reasonable, in fact it its an impressive result technologically, if basically necessary to support active gaming.

The iPad won't get 5 hours if you are actively gaming on the unit. While it isn't an apples to apples comparison, it is about as close as you can get.

I think one thing that is understated is the fact you don't need to buy extra controllers. It appears as though all games will work with the Wii-U. That is a big money saver!

Rayman Legends looked awesome (but not really shown much at the Nintendo conference - at the one yesterday).

I thought Lego City looked fun and unlike some, I though ZombieU looked like it has potential. Paper Mario 3DS is day 1 for me, but that was a given. :)

[quote name='Josh5890']Well the next conference is about to start. Maybe they will have more things up their sleves.[/QUOTE]

Is there another today? The 3DS conference is tomorrow night.

bread's done
Back