Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread

I didn't have time to test my system the first day, but I downloaded the update in the early morning hours of the 4th and it took 70 minutes. Longest ever for a console system update. I looked up my speed and turns out I was getting a little over 2mbps on my n router. I decided to try on an ac router as well and only got 50mbps when my galaxy s7 got 230mbps. Is there any solution to this or did I get a defective system? Even my 3DS would download much faster wireless on the same N router.

Yes -- left Jon Con de-synchs even when attached to the Switch tablet. Ugh. THis is what happens when you're an early adopter.
They really blew this launch. Joy con issues, wi-fi issues, and a crappy dock that scratches screens (no, I haven't put mine in yet since I need to send my system back due to horrible download speeds and I'll make sure to get a screen protector if I'm able to get a replacement.

So does this not really charge well when docked and playing? My son took it off at 100% from overnight, played Zelda for 2 hours, down to 48% which was adequate we thought. We docked it for 30 mins to eat, he started playing on TV and after 10 mins of that, the battery is 47%..

Yesterday he played with it docked for like 4 hours (I know, I know..) and I Switched it to play some Shovel Knight in the other room and the tablet was only at 77% from being docked all that time...

Also, does anyone know if there is an article that explains what all the lights mean on the Joycon? What does the green light on the dock mean? I don't think it's a charging indicator, rather maybe green when you're in TV mode...

I think CAG's traffic is down so much, they probably don't think fragmenting the community any more than it already is would be helpful. If you have this forum sorted by "last updated" (the default), the bottom thread on page 1 was last updated 1/26/16...over a year ago. So, it's not like people are having a hard time keeping their threads from being bumped off the first page. I guess "current" and "retro" could work once nobody is posting about those old systems anymore, and you're just moving them for archival purposes.

That said, as a happy Wii U owner, but a Switch skeptic, did you guys see the Kotaku review? There was a good portion that mentioned the system performing noticeably worse when docked and displayed on a TV...with framerate dips in the 20-25 fps range (playing BOTW). I gotta think if Nintendo can't clear that up, that's really going to push people away from using it in that way. I'd imagine people would rather play a smooth game on a small screen than play a choppy game on a big screen.
I'm curious, were is all the traffic going?

I'm curious, were is all the traffic going?
What Kasahara said. And maybe Reddit too. When CAG did their redesign a couple years back and ran into a lot of problems, it seemed like the site was never the same.

If you go to the forum list and look at the user list at the bottom, it's like 75-80% guests now. And the numbers are probably about a third of what they were 2-3 years ago. Much less of a community than it used to be...which is sad.

There is definitely a trend away from forums and toward bite-sized media (seems like anything over a paragraph is tl:dr for some people). But I believe changes drove people away from CAG as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
What Kasahara said. And maybe Reddit too. When CAG did their redesign a couple years back and ran into a lot of problems, it seemed like the site was never the same.

If you go to the forum list and look at the user list at the bottom, it's like 75-80% guests now. And the numbers are probably about a third of what they were 2-3 years ago. Much less of a community than it used to be...which is sad.

There is definitely a trend away from forums and toward bite-sized media (seems like anything over a paragraph is tl:dr for some people). But I believe changes drove people away from CAG as well.
I think the reseller talk has worn on the long time members who enjoyed the old community feel and actual sharing/helping that went on. With so many people looking to profit today, I'm sure many don't feel the need to have real dialogue, nor do you need to login to use CAG as SlickDeals Lite (hence so many guests, I think).

I was disappointed with PS4 after coming from Sonys start with psx but this thread definitely peaked my interest

I was worried mostly graphically it would be limited but it isn't

When will the switch be in stock regularly , as in no waiting for a ticket for hours ?

My Best Buy sold my switch to someone and because I waited 5 hours and left empty handed (oh on my birthday no less), they offered 10% off when it's in stock.... but he didn't know when it would be again ...disaponting bday lol

Forums in general are just less popular these days than social networking sites. What's happened to CAG's traffic is happening to that at other small and mid-size forums all over the internet.
I mean you got someone like Wario64 who used to be a form member now making money off on twitter.

Anyone think the $50 2-year warranty for the Switch at Best Buy is worth it?  I just bought it for the hell of it and I've got 30 days to cancel if I change my mind.  I figured I'd mostly be using it in portable mode, but I've never bought a warranty for Nintendo products.  Last video game related warranty I bought was for the 360 and that actually worked out quite well given the RRoD. 

:/ there's this black side panel that pops up on screen with options like sleep and brightness. Once this appears,suddenly the right joycon stops functioning until I take the controller off and snap it back on. Is this happening to anyone else?

Edit: :/ I was playing upstairs and the Wi-Fi signal was weaker. I went back down and the right sync issue stopped happening. Does weak Wi-Fi screw up the controllers? That menu isn't randomly popping up anymore either. :/ Just comes up as normal when I hold home down .

Anyone think the $50 2-year warranty for the Switch at Best Buy is worth it? I just bought it for the hell of it and I've got 30 days to cancel if I change my mind. I figured I'd mostly be using it in portable mode, but I've never bought a warranty for Nintendo products. Last video game related warranty I bought was for the 360 and that actually worked out quite well given the RRoD.
I'd say that was a good idea. There are a lot of people not posting problems but the problems of the system has hit the internet, some pretty serious - esp when you put into account for a Nintendo product.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2017/03/06/here-are-the-biggest-problems-gamers-are-having-with-the-nintendo-switch/#53a28e516183

I'd say that was a good idea. There are a lot of people not posting problems but the problems of the system has hit the internet, some pretty serious - esp when you put into account for a Nintendo product.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2017/03/06/here-are-the-biggest-problems-gamers-are-having-with-the-nintendo-switch/#53a28e516183
Yeah, I actually think I'm going to keep it. Especially after seeing this video too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb-srOfRqNc

Anyone think the $50 2-year warranty for the Switch at Best Buy is worth it? I just bought it for the hell of it and I've got 30 days to cancel if I change my mind. I figured I'd mostly be using it in portable mode, but I've never bought a warranty for Nintendo products. Last video game related warranty I bought was for the 360 and that actually worked out quite well given the RRoD.
Worth it, I had many times where best buy warranty help me on game consoles.

I would had got BB over gamestops warranty if I could.

While on that topic anyone knows if you can extend the gamestop warranty after one year?

artworks-000094484733-c4y262-t500x500.jpg

The Nintendo proprietary hardware(+[/-])software , and the nVIDIA ofc, make this little thing a pitbull, and let me tell you Xbox has/will have nothing besides 4K to offer, so only competition now is Sony.... but I don't see it that way in the "console wars"

As I may have mentioned this was a totally blind buy, I knew nothing of the switch existence until 3/3/17 (meaning I accidentally found out about the console because I was coincidentally discussing my growing distaste for PS4 and Sony; [mind you I was the biggest proponent for the greatest console IMHO ever made: the PS3 far], and how MS is outta the game biz so whatever Nintendo released next would be my console an she keeps the PS4) so.... I bought it for my bday on 3/7 and. BBYA BDay coupon + trading in BF1 for $30 ....I Got one in REGO PARK with Zelda for $300-
Pure luck as theyre sold out and pre ordered in NYC till April

I'm very impressed to say the least and you can see my last post in the deal thread re:the console wars
I say that to say this:It's no longer a war

It's more like dining out, you prefer Chinese and your girl like Japanese ... both excellent, some things might've been similar and in the end both great food... in their own way

and where one is stronger in power (PS4) Nintendo makes up for with, well everything else

But moreover it's games : PS4 has become more hardcore competitive online gaming where in the past(I can't speak on Nintendo online as this one is my first since n64 when there was none) Nintendo is much more creative and original with games and the style/method or whichever way they choose to offer playing

I'll always hop on PS4 for a little COD or batman or Ps exclusives which are unbelievably amazing (naughty dog and SEA ofc to name 2) and it shows graphically what SONY proprietary can produce but there aren't many , but Nintendo really set the bar on a different level this time , and I'm 33 and tired of the PS3 era FPS overkill which imho ruined the exclusive adventure and platform for PS4) but I look forward to now-retro classics like Mario and Zelda rather than playing online for XP ...double xp weekinds :rolls eyes)

Again I'm speaking only as a new blind tester /buyer and only play Zelda but after the slight time trying the versatility one can't forget the physical enjoyment you get with the options and the future possibilities to me look excitingly unpredictable to me, a layman

ONE GRIPE: I saw they will soon be charging for the network??! How much ? And also why is the store completely empty, like does this play apps or Netflix in future ? Or video at least lol ?

PS is there a switch sub or just post under Wii U?

How good is the case that comes with the SE and ME versions of BotW?  I see it's selling for $80 on ebay by itself so I'm tempted to sell it and just get the generic Mario or Zelda one for $20.  

How good is the case that comes with the SE and ME versions of BotW? I see it's selling for $80 on ebay by itself so I'm tempted to sell it and just get the generic Mario or Zelda one for $20.
For me, it's pretty good. I mean it's not the hardest case out there for protection but it holds a good number of games and holds the console with joy cons attached comfortably. I guess the only thing is aesthetics. Some may think it looks gawdy, and I thought the same initially. But because the Sheikah Slate is used constantly in BotW, it had grown on me. Definitely a keeper for me.

How good is the case that comes with the SE and ME versions of BotW? I see it's selling for $80 on ebay by itself so I'm tempted to sell it and just get the generic Mario or Zelda one for $20.
I've heard the case is pretty solid, I didn't end up getting the SE or ME myself so I personally haven't used the case, but if it's selling for $80 I'd suggest selling it and getting another case. I got the official PDP case at Wal-Mart on launch day for $18 and it looks to be sold out most places right now and selling for way more online despite it just being a standard case. It's nice though and certainly protects the switch as well as holds several games with the included game cases that store under the system in the case. People are crazy for paying these insane prices for products they can get in a few weeks or months for MSRP if they just wait. The SE Zelda case not so much, but comparable cases exist and I believe it will drive the price down on the case that you have so if I were you I'd sell it why it's hot.

I just ordered the tempered glass screen protector from Amazon myself as it's easily the highest review screen protector right now. Does anyone have this product already and can you comment on it the quality? I've heard bad things about the Hori protectors.

I've heard the case is pretty solid, I didn't end up getting the SE or ME myself so I personally haven't used the case, but if it's selling for $80 I'd suggest selling it and getting another case. I got the official PDP case at Wal-Mart on launch day for $18 and it looks to be sold out most places right now and selling for way more online despite it just being a standard case. It's nice though and certainly protects the switch as well as holds several games with the included game cases that store under the system in the case. People are crazy for paying these insane prices for products they can get in a few weeks or months for MSRP if they just wait. The SE Zelda case not so much, but comparable cases exist and I believe it will drive the price down on the case that you have so if I were you I'd sell it why it's hot.

I just ordered the tempered glass screen protector from Amazon myself as it's easily the highest review screen protector right now. Does anyone have this product already and can you comment on it the quality? I've heard bad things about the Hori protectors.
Thanks for the recommendation! I'm still debating lol.

I just got the glass protector today so I'll post my thoughts after I install it tonight.

Installation was easy enough. I did have to peel it off a couple of times to get rid of the bubbles but it looks great. It feels as smooth as the original screen. Definitely recommended.
3553d736dd323e5ad37a4d4966f747b0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Can you please recommend /link your retailer????, I need one : the TV converter fell over , rather tipped to the side and the switch console flew out

Wonder why there is no top lock mechanism , to you know , keep it from sliding out and breaking ???

Installation was easy enough. I did have to peel it off a couple of times to get rid of the bubbles but it looks great. It feels as smooth as the original screen. Definitely recommended.

Looks great, I ordered the amFilm one yesterday for $11 on Amazon. Says it wont arrive until the 22nd at the earliest, but a co-worker also ordered and his has shipped and should arrive this weekend despite having a similar estimated time for delivery. Hoping to get mine soon as well.

I also want to point out that a guy on Reddit has made a nice sleeve for the dock itself to help prevent scratching, plus they look great. He's informed me that he is looking to add more designs as well and has set up an etsy shop to sell them here. I'm considering ordering one myself.

Looking forward to hearing what you think. Did you get the amFilm branded one?
I've read that you need to wait up to 48 hours for the tempered glass to settle correctly; specfically the amFilm branded one. Newer reviews started popping up that the dock is apparently bubbling/melting the actual screen protector; though I don't believe they waited the full 48 hours after application. Heat or pressure (since the tempered glass makes docking a little tighter) seem to be the main issue. My amFilm comes in next week so I guess I'll know for sure when I try it.

I believe Zelda SE/ME edition case is the exact same product as this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Starter-Kit/dp/B01MT8XY4V/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489176406&sr=8-1&keywords=nintendo%2Bswitch%2Bcase%2Bstarter%2Bkit&th=1

The only differences are the artwork/colors on the case. There are also extras in the kit, but for the most part, you're basically paying for the case itself.

I don't understand -- is the Switch's screen not made of sapphire crystal? 

Watches use sapphire crystal. iPhones and most smart phones do, too. It is near impossible to scratch them (you would have to cut into them to do so). 

If that's the case -- wow cheap move, Nintendo. 

I don't understand -- is the Switch's screen not made of sapphire crystal?

Watches use sapphire crystal. iPhones and most smart phones do, too. It is near impossible to scratch them (you would have to cut into them to do so).

If that's the case -- wow cheap move, Nintendo.
It should have been Gorilla Glass, instead they used cheap plastic that is easily scratched (even by the dock itself).

Follow up on the screen protector I got. It's developed what looks like scratches from the heat. I read about it in some of the other reviews I got. I'm sending it back. Anybody have any recommendations? I might just cut the Zagg protectors I got for the iPad a while back.

2785fb036c79072fc2136bba2ef3caaf.jpg

Follow up on the screen protector I got. It's developed what looks like scratches from the heat. I read about it in some of the other reviews I got. I'm sending it back. Anybody have any recommendations? I might just cut the Zagg protectors I got for the iPad a while back.

2785fb036c79072fc2136bba2ef3caaf.jpg
Mine is about the same. Someone told me that I should've waited about 48 hours for the glue to cure. How long did you wait until you docked the system? I'm thinking of taking mine off and trying again with the second protector.

Mine is about the same. Someone told me that I should've waited about 48 hours for the glue to cure. How long did you wait until you docked the system? I'm thinking of taking mine off and trying again with the second protector.
Ah I do remember reading that at some point. I put it in the dock after I installed it. It's worth a shot, thanks.

I installed my amFilm yesterday. I am waiting the recommended 48 hours at least for it to settle. I guess I'll see what's up tomorrow night.

I installed my amFilm yesterday. I am waiting the recommended 48 hours at least for it to settle. I guess I'll see what's up tomorrow night.
A friend of mine installed his over the weekend and loves it. Hoping to get mine in the mail soon and also plan to wait 48 hours, at least until I dock the Switch. I think I'll be fine to play in handheld mode while it settles though.

my switch arrived from B&H while i was away and my fiance set it up and started playing BotW. i feel..betrayed.

happy with the stock controller setup, don' think i'll need the pro. however, i keep crouching by accident in BotW. the L3 button seems sensitive.

Very neat feature I just learned about the Switch in the worst way possible.

My buttons just locked up while playing BoTw then not before long my whole Switch locked up.

What's neat about this? well if you hold down the Power Button for more then 12 seconds it does a complete power down then hard reboot when you turn it back on.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/Nintendo-Switch/Troubleshooting/The-Nintendo-Switch-screen-is-frozen-or-won-t-work-/The-Nintendo-Switch-screen-is-frozen-or-won-t-work--1201379.html

Awesome. Definitely let us know. Thanks in advance, Woltaire.
I played about 5 hours straight of Zelda in docked mode after waiting 48 hours for the amFilm tempered glass protector to cure and I don't see any visible signs or warping/melting of the actual glass. Still unsure how it will last in the long run, but only time will tell at this point. I'll report back in a week or two after more stress testing.

Initial impressions are positive, but the screen does get unusually hot after long play sessions so I'd suggest taking the Switch out of the dock to let it breathe more efficiently as a precautionary option. Only thing I can think of is to run a small electric fan next to it and see if that helps keep things cool, but that might be a bit overkill. It also does fit very snug in the dock with the tempered glass on it, so I'm not too sure how I feel about that since the added pressure and the heat could possibly contribute to this warping/melting issue others are experiencing.

A side note I will say is that my screen protector is about .01mm off on the top left corner, so I am a bit worried if the warping would happen there since part of it is on the console itself and not the plastic screen. I wonder if the adhesive would be weaker in that corner because of it.

Anyone else gonna be really pissed if Nintendo doesn't get any more consoles to retailers before the Splatoon testfire next weekend?

3553d736dd323e5ad37a4d4966f747b0.jpg

that looks good but man ive always bought these protectors for devices and then i don't ever end up putting them on. I guess it's cause i've always been so bad at it

anyone invested in a usb type c to a adapter for charging purposes? Any suggestions?
I ended up just picking up the Nintendo one. There are cheaper options, but USB-C is still relatively new to the point that I just don't trust the offbrand stuff. I don't want to risk frying my new device.

GameStop sells a Nyko charging cable for $20, you can get the Samsung cable off Amazon for $25, the Google Cable is $35 and the Insignia cable is $25.

bread's done
Back