Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread

I ended up just picking up the Nintendo one. There are cheaper options, but USB-C is still relatively new to the point that I just don't trust the offbrand stuff. I don't want to risk frying my new device.

GameStop sells a Nyko charging cable for $20, you can get the Samsung cable off Amazon for $25, the Google Cable is $35 and the Insignia cable is $25.
Ouch thats expensive. I was expecting an adapter would only be a few bucks. Thanks for the info.

It looks like AmazonBasics has a pretty cheap option. You can get a 6ft USB-C charging cable itself for $7 and a 2.4 Amp charger for $7. So $14 for the package.

I like AmazonBasics cables. I use their lightning cables and HDMI cables all the time. Still, I'm pretty happy with my Nintendo charger.

I installed my amFilm yesterday. I am waiting the recommended 48 hours at least for it to settle. I guess I'll see what's up tomorrow night.
Any luck with it? I installed the second screen about a day and a half ago. The battery was dying, and I figured a few hours wouldn't make a difference in the "curing" process so I put it in the dock to charge for about an hour. I just took it out and this one is also exhibiting the lines. I guess it's going back.

Any luck with it? I installed the second screen about a day and a half ago. The battery was dying, and I figured a few hours wouldn't make a difference in the "curing" process so I put it in the dock to charge for about an hour. I just took it out and this one is also exhibiting the lines. I guess it's going back.
I played 5 hours straight while docked after waiting 48 hours and it looks the same as when I first installed it. Flip back to page 6 for a more detailed response. :p

I played 5 hours straight while docked after waiting 48 hours and it looks the same as when I first installed it. Flip back to page 6 for a more detailed response. :p
Oops, missed that somehow. Thanks for the update! I'm going to try to cut my own film and if that doesn't work out, then I'll get the am glass

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQZqKoi86Mk

I just saw this in case anyone was interested in doing this.  However, I would be cautious and make sure you do your research on whatever cable you decide purchasing.  If they are not USB-C compliant, they can actually do more harm than good in the long run.  I'll have to do some research as well and see what extension cables meet the standards, but I do like the idea of the Switch being out of the dock to increase airflow and reduce heat; not to mention removing the possibility of the screen scratching because of it.

Oh boy oh boy some crazy drama's going on in Etika's current stream! If anyone followed CND when he was in the Nintendo Switch line in NYC, the guy Princeton who hanged out with him ripped him off and is getting called out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkkFp4h80NM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQZqKoi86Mk

I just saw this in case anyone was interested in doing this. However, I would be cautious and make sure you do your research on whatever cable you decide purchasing. If they are not USB-C compliant, they can actually do more harm than good in the long run. I'll have to do some research as well and see what extension cables meet the standards, but I do like the idea of the Switch being out of the dock to increase airflow and reduce heat; not to mention removing the possibility of the screen scratching because of it.
This is exactly what I did. Different stand and cable.
I figured someone would come up with same idea and post it.

NB: The reason I went with YZTree instead of AMfilm is because the tempered glass is cut before the edges so you don't pull them up or loose during use

So it seems like the discussions have died down, so I wanted to pick it up again.

How's everyone liking the Switch?

Personally, I'm loving it and haven't touched any other system (I have PS4, Wii U, 3DS XL). My only gripes so far is the battery draining relatively quickly and joy-con connectivity (there have been a number of times where I have the system docked and in sleep mode, I take off the joy-cons, put them in the grip, press A to wake the system and it asks me to press L to activate the left joy-con but it doesn't respond. I have to take it off the grip and press the sync button to get it to work). It's another thing that the joy-con falters when playing cross-legged on the sofa and put the joy-cons too close to my legs at a distance of about 10 feet.

For the games, here are my impressions:
Zelda: BotW: about 15 hours in and it's an awesome game and experience though I feel I'm doing a lot of shrine hunting and side quests which I feel pulls me away from the story.

Fast RMX: put in about an hour, unlocked 3 stages and 3 additional vehicles. Definitely a lot of fun and scratches the itch of an F-Zero type game. Can definitely get frustrating when you fall or crash, but money well spent.

Blaster Master Zero: beat the game after 6.5 hours. I never really got into the original game and this one had my attention the whole time. But it was pretty easy.

Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove: having a lot of fun with this one and currently playing it more than BotW. I had the original but never got far into it. Definitely frustrating at times but now that I have upgrades to armor and my shovel, it feels like the game is opening up. I'm still going through the original game

VOEZ: I was really debating on not getting this because it's free on mobile (though if you want to unlock all the songs, it is paid which comes $5 less than the Switch version, I think). I've played about 15 songs on Easy, some very catchy. Hard mode makes things a little more fun and challenging. If you like rhythm and Hatsune Miku-like games, you would probably like this. There's not much in terms of visuals but it's a good change of pace compared to BotW and a game I usually play before bed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been playing a lot of Breath of the Wild. My schedule doesn't allow me to dig into it as much as I would like. (had to handle my taxes and other assorted paperwork over the weekend, as well as some maintenance work for some relatives) But I've really been enjoying what I have been playing.
The freedom of exploration is really doing it for me. Last night I trekked across some snow-capped peaks that were obviously too high-level for me to actually be exploring. I was able to endure the cold thanks to some mid-level cold resistance dishes that I had prepared previously. But the enemies who popped up during this excursion basically laughed at the weapons I was packing. Thanks to this, I didn't stick around the snowy mountains for very long, but was able to locate a hidden shrine. I activated it in order to enable fast-travel, but didn't solve it because my cold resistance was wearing out.
After that I drifted down to a nearby coastline, did a little excavating of some choice minerals I found, and then ran into a rock monster that I hadn't seen before. I had been forced to retreat from a previous encounter with this kind of mini-boss, but this time I was going in with some decent armor and upgraded bombs. After throwing myself at him a few times, and getting clobbered, I discovered that using a spear was considerably more effective, as it allowed me to reach the weak-point on his back, even when he was standing up. Sadly, I only had one spear, so I abandoned that encounter and explored further down the coast.
I ran into a fairly large camp of bokoblins and moblins, one which seemed related to a quest I had already accepted. This encampment had a conveniently placed ridge of stone above it, where I could effectively hide. Rather than engage the enemies directly, I snuck behind the ridge, and started raining bombs down on them. This proved to be a good approach, as they turned out to be much too high level for engaging directly. It took a fair number of bombs to clean out most of them, and I attacked the remaining two enemies with sword and shield. One of the unforeseen benefits of clearing out this camp was an abundance of decent enemy spears. I was able to stuff my inventory with five or six spears.
I returned to the rock monster with my new-found wealth of spears, and managed to finish him in fairly short order.

Nice recap, Richard Kain. When I first played BotW, it reminded me of Ocarina of Time (which is my favorite Zelda game) and the ability to do a myriad of things (mini games-wise).

I've also encountered a situation where the enemies are higher level and it took many bombs to take them out, but at the same time, it bothered me that I had to "cheese" my way through them (with the weapons and life I had at the time, I could get knocked out in a few hits).

I guess in some ways, I like being given a path to travel with standard progression than to explore and get slaughtered or have to hide and whittle down an enemy.

it bothered me that I had to "cheese" my way through them (with the weapons and life I had at the time, I could get knocked out in a few hits).
This is actually one of the things that I like the most about the game, specifically because it reminds me so much of the first Legend of Zelda. (from 1987) The game drops you into the middle of the world, and lets you explore freely. If you run into an enemy that is too high-level for you, you only learn that by fighting them. And if you are skillful enough, and come prepared, it's even possible to win that fight. You are also not required to fight them at all, you always have the option of turning around and running for it. (a strategy that I have already employed multiple times)
This was something that I encountered last night. The rock monster that I ran into was too tough for me to tackle initially. I gave it a few tries, but after I had a better idea of what that encounter was going to take, I backed off. Later, when I had acquired the tools I felt that I needed, I returned and successfully implemented the strategy I had come up with.
The cheese in the case is not a requirement, it's an option. I don't actually HAVE to cheese the enemy camp. If I wanted to, I could have gone off elsewhere until I had the health and power to punch in that weight class. But thanks to the flexibility of the game's various systems, I was able to experiment with the tools at hand to try to find an alternative solution. This flexibility appeals strongly to my desire for problem solving.

My biggest issue with zelda is the lack of dungeons and any memorable boss fight. The open world is great but these 2 things make it feel less like a zelda game.

No, I hear ya, Richard. It is definitely cool to approach a situation (or not) on your terms and also using different methods to approach the situation.

I think I'm at that point in my life that I like a 10-15 hour game and be done with it. I prefer an engaging story where I'm riveted and hooked (like the latest Tomb Raider games). Having kids and a lot of work pulled me away from lots of exploration, backtracking, finding every trinket, etc. Those Korok seeds are going to be the death of me. Haha

Damn. I was starting to save up for a Switch but Apple announced a new iPad today that is 9.7", has the A9 chip, and is just $329. It would be a nice upgrade from my iPad 3. Perhaps I can wait till the fall for a Switch.

Damn. I was starting to save up for a Switch but Apple announced a new iPad today that is 9.7", has the A9 chip, and is just $329. It would be a nice upgrade from my iPad 3. Perhaps I can wait till the fall for a Switch.
Damn for that price I think I may finally have to buy an iPad.

As for the Switch, I am still loving the system and have mostly been playing Zelda, over 40 hours in now and still loving the game. I've also got Fast Racing RMX, Bomberman, Binding of Issac, and Blaster Master. I've played several hours of Issac and it's fantastic on the Switch. Blaster Master is easy, but fun. I have not played much Bomberman, haven't had a scenario to play with 4 or more people yet, which is probably the only way I will ever care to play this game. The single player for Bomberman is not good and I've enjoyed Fast RMX, but just haven't played much of it due to being into other games mainly Zelda and Issac.

I love this far more then the current looking Switch's dock that someone made.

"

[–]Bruzur 8 points an hour ago 

If you decide to make a limited run of these, or would be accepting payment for people to ship their docks your way... (and compensate you for your time and services, of course) I'd gladly pay for that miniature alternative!

Very, very nice work!

[–]Yok3r 7 points an hour ago 

I'll do a little production of 50 (to start), with detailed instructions. Tomorrow i'm gonna ask some injection providers."

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/60pjqn/the_new_nintendo_switch_compact_dock/?st=j0k52247&sh=07fde8e3

YxbW5iP.jpg

sP0adZ2.jpg

So far I love it
I only have Zelda but look forward to mario and splatoon soon
I also only play my switch , no more Sony for me

I'm with Nintendo Thanks to the switch

I'm enjoying my Switch, but I definitely wouldn't get rid of my PS4. Especially not with the collection of games I have for it.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand people who actually want to only have one system. Having just one system is the kind of thing you put up with when money is scarce and you have to tighten your belt and make some tough choices. But if the disposable income is present, I don't know why you wouldn't buy at least two systems, possibly more.

I think Microsoft is suffering the worst at the moment, as the XBox One just isn't delivering when it comes to exclusive content. Sony's doing just fine, with a number of high-quality exclusives, and some of the best multi-platform support thanks to some very good low-level tech decisions that they made early on. Nintendo is Nintendo, and will always have a certain number of must-have exclusive titles.

I finally got in the screen protectors that I had ordered, and applied one of them tonight after carefully cleaning my screen. It went on smoothly, and seems to be just fine. After some of the tales on the boards, I'll wait a while to put it back in the dock for an extended period of time, but for now it is looking good. I got a tempered glass protector, and it feels a lot better now to touch the screen.

With the amount of amazing games Sony has gotten this year seems like an odd time to get rid of our PS4.
My wife is a game lover, she plays PS4

I said since day 1 the PS4 is a piss poor follow up to the king of consoles (ps3) and obviously I own a PS4 so I kind of like it

Since PS4 offered nothing worth noting to me , especially with the best titles being multi platform, and while I enjoy Sony exclusives (drake, lbp, kz, and others) I've always been disappointed with the PS4, again because , exclusives aren't as good as PS3 and most games are multi platform on 128-256(x2)bit consoles

The Wii was always interested to me , but as a hardcore sony fan i had no desire, but after 4 years of seeing everything get released on PS3, PS4, x360 xbone and PC( save the occasional good Game) and it's all the same with minor graphic improvements...just not does do it for me, and I wish I just stayed on PS3 until the switch

Just me though , and I still play the occasional PlayStation still, just rarely....never said I was tossing it out. I agree : having 1 Sony and 1 Nintendo in the house is cool (Xbox will always be no worth mention)
Just excited about a really new and refreshing console from the "original guys" (Nintendo)

My wife is a game lover, she plays PS4

I said since day 1 the PS4 is a piss poor follow up to the king of consoles (ps3) and obviously I own a PS4 so I kind of like it

Since PS4 offered nothing worth noting to me , especially with the best titles being multi platform, and while I enjoy Sony exclusives (drake, lbp, kz, and others) I've always been disappointed with the PS4, again because , exclusives aren't as good as PS3 and most games are multi platform on 128-256(x2)bit consoles

The Wii was always interested to me , but as a hardcore sony fan i had no desire, but after 4 years of seeing everything get released on PS3, PS4, x360 xbone and PC( save the occasional good Game) and it's all the same with minor graphic improvements...just not does do it for me, and I wish I just stayed on PS3 until the switch

Just me though , and I still play the occasional PlayStation still, just rarely....never said I was tossing it out. I agree : having 1 Sony and 1 Nintendo in the house is cool (Xbox will always be no worth mention)
Just excited about a really new and refreshing console from the "original guys" (Nintendo)
Interesting.For me king of consoles was 360. I very thoroughly enjoy my X1 however and got rid of my PS4 as it was collecting dust. In my household, there is no mentions of Sony.. lol. PS3 was a just a toy bed mostly for me to play with modding, etc. but all of my gaming was on Microsoft consoles. My house will always be a microsoft shop.

I also got my Wii specifically to just play my GC games with progressive and play with homebrew, etc. Maybe the occasional Mario Kart but I had no interest whatsoever in the Wii controls or specific games. Absolutely zero interest in Wii-U but back on the train with Switch.

There is a part of me however that wished the Switch innards were more modern tech. Nintendo always seems to lag behind and it irritates me to hell.

I'm enjoying my Switch, but I definitely wouldn't get rid of my PS4. Especially not with the collection of games I have for it.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand people who actually want to only have one system. Having just one system is the kind of thing you put up with when money is scarce and you have to tighten your belt and make some tough choices. But if the disposable income is present, I don't know why you wouldn't buy at least two systems, possibly more.

I think Microsoft is suffering the worst at the moment, as the XBox One just isn't delivering when it comes to exclusive content. Sony's doing just fine, with a number of high-quality exclusives, and some of the best multi-platform support thanks to some very good low-level tech decisions that they made early on. Nintendo is Nintendo, and will always have a certain number of must-have exclusive titles.

I finally got in the screen protectors that I had ordered, and applied one of them tonight after carefully cleaning my screen. It went on smoothly, and seems to be just fine. After some of the tales on the boards, I'll wait a while to put it back in the dock for an extended period of time, but for now it is looking good. I got a tempered glass protector, and it feels a lot better now to touch the screen.
It's not just a disposable income, the problem for me is time. I have a huge backlog, as I'm a lot of other people here do and buying more than one console per generation would be a waste of money since I wouldn't have the time to play a lot of the games. Hell, my five year old has more time put into Zelda than I do :lol:

I do have a PC to satisfy my itch to play more "modern" games such as Forza and Rise of the Tomb Raider, not to mention they are much cheaper to own on the PC.

Interesting.For me king of consoles was 360. I very thoroughly enjoy my X1 however and got rid of my PS4 as it was collecting dust. In my household, there is no mentions of Sony.. lol. PS3 was a just a toy bed mostly for me to play with modding, etc. but all of my gaming was on Microsoft consoles. My house will always be a microsoft shop.

I also got my Wii specifically to just play my GC games with progressive and play with homebrew, etc. Maybe the occasional Mario Kart but I had no interest whatsoever in the Wii controls or specific games. Absolutely zero interest in Wii-U but back on the train with Switch.

There is a part of me however that wished the Switch innards were more modern tech. Nintendo always seems to lag behind and it irritates me to hell.
Naturally everyone is entitled to their team support, and my cousin argued for MS for years as he was a certified tech but I thought PS3 was a console inside of a pc (rather than a weak pc trying to be a console)

See I see the opposite:MS is under whelming where Nintendo optimized the maximum output and who knows what's to follow . They are original and with hidden power (like a twin turbo 4 cyl vs a straight 8 N/a), both got advantage

That's why I don't mind if I own a os4 too or In your case like others an Xbox

(Xbox isn't horrible , there's just a lot that makes it inferior to Sony; Nintendo is doing its own thing , IMHO)

Have fun , I'm playing Zelda now on switch

See I see the opposite:MS is under whelming where Nintendo optimized the maximum output and who knows what's to follow . They are original and with hidden power (like a twin turbo 4 cyl vs a straight 8 N/a), both got advantage
What does this even mean? It really just sounds like fantasy nonsense.

Nintendo hasn't "optimized the maximum output", in fact they bungled many aspects of the Switch design, from screens that are easily scratched by their own pack-in dock, to joycon connectivity issues, poor wifi performance, poor placement of the charging port, cheap materials, etc.

And despite the mysterious hopes of "hidden power" in Nintendo hardware (remember how people kept claiming that the Wii U had magical powers hidden within its chips?), the reality is that Nintendo's philosophy has always been to keep their hardware at a bare minimum, to keep costs down and profits up. They did this with the Wii, Wii U, and now the Switch. There's no magic inside, just the usual mediocre hardware. Nothing more.

Everytime Nintendo makes a hot item it makes people really angry... Wonder why that is. 

Anywho, for those having left joycon sync issues Nintendo has provided a statement

if you wish to send yours in to get it repaired/replaced and the issue won't exists going forward.

They did this with the Wii, Wii U, and now the Switch. There's no magic inside, just the usual mediocre hardware. Nothing more.
It is true that there isn't going to be any "hidden power" in the Switch. Anyone expecting such performance would do best to forget about it, it isn't happening.

At the same time, it is far too dismissive to call Nintendo's hardware "mediocre." Nintendo has always made solid, quality hardware. They frequently design their systems with dated hardware that doesn't focus on sheer performance, this is very true. It is their standard approach to game system development. But their hardware platforms have always been exceptionally well designed, even if they don't push performance.

Performance is not the sole standard of quality for hardware. One of Nintendo's hallmarks has always been solid hardware with unusually high stability and durability. This priority is so pronounced that it was a key factor in preventing Nintendo from transitioning into optical media. But history bears out this focus, and Nintendo hardware failure rates have always been much lower than their competition.

The hardware for the Switch is not mediocre. To call it underpowered when measured up to its closest competition would be accurate. But mediocre is not fair.

Everytime Nintendo makes a hot item it makes people really angry... Wonder why that is.

Anywho, for those having left joycon sync issues Nintendo has provided a statement
if you wish to send yours in to get it repaired/replaced and the issue won't exists going forward.
In addition, SwitchForce on YouTube made a video of the issue and what Nintendo has done to fix it (repaired left joy-con opened).

https://youtu.be/3ZpO7rk67sk

What it means is Nintendo does miracles with half of what others use to construct massive messes.

Nintendo's hardware is incredible , the technology as a whole console wise, is more impressive than anything else I've seen

Is if 4K? No... who cares? I'm fine with 1080 or 720, looks just as good, don't care about hair follicles or reflections of the sunrise over a sniper scope

I want a versatile console that pushes the limits

And with their proprietary hardware, this is what maximizing output means .. taking as little as possible to make the most efficient powerful outcome

What it means is Nintendo does miracles with half of what others use to construct massive messes.

Nintendo's hardware is incredible , the technology as a whole console wise, is more impressive than anything else I've seen

Is if 4K? No... who cares? I'm fine with 1080 or 720, looks just as good, don't care about hair follicles or reflections of the sunrise over a sniper scope

I want a versatile console that pushes the limits

And with their proprietary hardware, this is what maximizing output means .. taking as little as possible to make the most efficient powerful outcome
Where do you buy your weed fam

Any mods want to move this to the Switch forum?

Are any of you comfortable playing the Switch in portable mode with the joycons attached?  I just can't find an ergonomic way to hold the thing and can't play for more than 30 minutes without my hand starting to cramp.  I feel like it needs something similar to this:

Plastic-Controller-Handle-font-b-Grip-b-font-Hand-Cover-Case-For-font-b-New-b.jpg

Where do you buy your weed fam
the heights doggz!!!! U already son!!!!

But that aside, people with better command of English seem to understand my syntax and/or more basic points without the need to scoff at other perspectives

...and yes, I standby the Sony comment more than anything, if that's the only part you understood my duke lol

Any mods want to move this to the Switch forum?

Are any of you comfortable playing the Switch in portable mode with the joycons attached? I just can't find an ergonomic way to hold the thing and can't play for more than 30 minutes without my hand starting to cramp. I feel like it needs something similar to this:

Plastic-Controller-Handle-font-b-Grip-b-font-Hand-Cover-Case-For-font-b-New-b.jpg
I needed to prop sometimes, so I just put the Screen into kick stand seating and used the joy con controller

This is my first (potential/partly) handheld I've had since game gear so I'm not sure how other hand held recently played but I'm sure they're better designed as this is more a "console" than a portable , obviously with full ability to be portable ...

But that aside, people with better command of English seem to understand my syntax and/or more basic points without the need to scoff at other perspectives

...and yes, I standby the Sony comment more than anything, if that's the only part you understood my duke lol
rGHhi0R.png

That's why I don't mind if I own a os4 too or In your case like others an Xbox
My guy, c'mon

man, Mario Kart can't come soon enough. Barely playing the Switch and needing that casual fun game itch. Zelda is great and all but I just don't have the luxury of time to enjoy it and dive into the world as much as I used to.

But come on, how likely did this seem back then? It legit looked like it WAS a second Wii U. The success is a surprise to everyone. That's why you're just starting to see bigger third party stuff coming out.

I can't wait for me to pay $70 for that cardboard game!

I still don't understand why this is a hit, it makes no sense to me, but whatever. I love old Nintendo.

bread's done
Back