Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread

This thread is like the telephone game. I never said the Switch will be as popular as the Wii and yet look at how the preceding 3 posts made it that argument.

It's like the nouns were picked out of my post and then an argument was presumed around it.
I really think you need to go get some mental help, or simply glasses, because you are seeing things there that aren't there... at all.

I was replying more to Brad and Rome...'s post and having reread this page of post.... I have no idea what you are talking about. Did you vote for a certain fat ass orange piece of shit last election? Because you have the "I'm the victim because I say so" thing down perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the real complaint is that a lot of the posts that are trying to make a point are doing so poorly, almost as if they haven't absorbed any of the reasoning from the preceeding posts. It can be a bit frustrating to read responses with very little coherent arguments, just a lot of venting about personal opinions. Personal opinions and impressions do not make for compelling rhetoric.

One person says "I didn't like the Wii, or the games that were released for it. Therefore it was a bad video game system that was not successful."

Another person points out, "That's your personal opinion. It may not have been successful for you, because you personally didn't like it. However, by every metric outside of your personal tastes, the system was objectively successful. It sold well, made lots of money, and garnered widespread critical praise and cultural acceptance."

Conflating personal impressions with facts isn't persuasive. We've all been there, and we've all done that. So anyone with any common sense can see such reasoning for what it is.

Take Rome's statements as an example. He points out that Sony was able to turn things around for the PS3, and eventually sell a decent number of them, thanks to the previous success of the PS2. He posits that Nintendo won't be able to succeed with the Switch because the Wii U failed, and "turning around" a system like this requires that its predecessor be successful. But this reasoning doesn't hold water. The PS1 succeeded, even though it was Sony's first system, and they had no console experience prior. The Wii succeeded, despite the fact that the GameCube had sold less than either the PS2, or the XBox, itself a new competitor in the market. (and the GameCube sold less than the N64) So what has occurred in the past does not support his reasoning.

I really think you need to go get some mental help, or simply glasses, because you are seeing things there that aren't there... at all.

I was replying more to Brad and Rome...'s post and having reread this page of post.... I have no idea what you are talking about. Did you vote for a certain fat ass orange piece of shit last election? Because you have the "I'm the victim because I say so" thing down perfectly.
Rome's post quoted mine and you were replying to Rome so ergo you were replying to the same discussion.

As for rest, make whatever assumptions you want and keep trolling about the Switch in every possible thread you want (I mean, even the Lego thread? Really?), that's more telling of you than your supposition that I voted for Trump (which you could know the answer to pretty easily just from my postings on these boards).

I think the real complaint is that a lot of the posts that are trying to make a point are doing so poorly, almost as if they haven't absorbed any of the reasoning from the preceeding posts. It can be a bit frustrating to read responses with very little coherent arguments, just a lot of venting about personal opinions. Personal opinions and impressions do not make for compelling rhetoric.

One person says "I didn't like the Wii, or the games that were released for it. Therefore it was a bad video game system that was not successful."

Another person points out, "That's your personal opinion. It may not have been successful for you, because you personally didn't like it. However, by every metric outside of your personal tastes, the system was objectively successful. It sold well, made lots of money, and garnered widespread critical praise and cultural acceptance."

Conflating personal impressions with facts isn't persuasive. We've all been there, and we've all done that. So anyone with any common sense can see such reasoning for what it is.

Take Rome's statements as an example. He points out that Sony was able to turn things around for the PS3, and eventually sell a decent number of them, thanks to the previous success of the PS2. He posits that Nintendo won't be able to succeed with the Switch because the Wii U failed, and "turning around" a system like this requires that its predecessor be successful. But this reasoning doesn't hold water. The PS1 succeeded, even though it was Sony's first system, and they had no console experience prior. The Wii succeeded, despite the fact that the GameCube had sold less than either the PS2, or the XBox, itself a new competitor in the market. (and the GameCube sold less than the N64) So what has occurred in the past does not support his reasoning.
It's the same old song and dance for every Nintendo release since after the GameCube. There's no logic or reason in the arguments just endless vitriol that doesn't even follow any logical reasoning.

Thank you, Mr. Kain for coming here and saving us. I'm glad you think you must be the only one who has any sense of reason.

I don't even know where to begin with the level of arrogance in this post. Your comment about my apparent lack of reasoning in suggesting the PS2's success was a factor in the PS3's leaves me to conclude that you may simply be unable to grasp the rather rudimentary concept of using past history to analyze events. It's, well, one of the fundamental ways we examine many actions.

You must also know nothing about advertising or brands. As someone who works in the game industry, and in particular, was charged with managing parts of Nintendo Gamecube's marketing initiatives (among other clients), I can assure you how a company manages its brands with customers affects future performance. I can assure you the vast success of the brand, Sony PlayStation, helped the company dig itself out of the almost-fiasco that was its successor, PlayStation 3. I can assure you the vast network of third parties that Sony PlayStation catered to, generously embraced, and active supported, appreciated the PlayStation brand, such that they continued to support the console during difficult times because the brand carried a legitimacy and hipness inside the industry.

The Nintendo brand is - like any other brand - a sum of the company's successes, failures, and decisions. I never said past failure mandates future failure. That's asinine. What past failures do is harm a brand; it makes consumers doubt the company's future actions. In that sense, it results in making future success less likely. If you find that illogical, then I'm unsure you understand what logic actually is. I recommend you stay away from law school.

By your reasoning, there is apparently no basis to judge anything based on past actions because there is supposedly an exception. Couldn't it be that the PS1 succeeded because Nintendo made serious miscalculations with the N64? Or because Sony had worked with Nintendo on the console, and had studied what Nintendo had done and not done, and then leaned on those technologies Nintendo (wrongly) ignored? Nintendo's inability to accept and embrace the benefits of CD-ROMs could be seen as a failure to better analyze the past disadvantages of cartridges, and what gaming customers were looking for (i.e. voice acting, cinema-like cutscenes - elements that were hard to deliver on expensive, data limited cartridges).

My reasoning about the Switch's tough road ahead is based on Nintendo's repeat failures to understand its past actions, and a seemingly tone-deaf approach to analyzing their decisions - good and bad - in the context of where the industry is headed. The Wii was successful because Nintendo had a good pulse on a casual gaming community that had not yet been exposed to smartphones and free mobile games. The Wii U failed for a host of reasons. Ultimately, it was because Nintendo failed to understand why the Wii was successful, and failed to understand that success in the context of the industry as a whole.

if you're suggesting the Gamecube failed, that's an incorrect assumption. Nintendo made money on every Gamecube sold; and while it may not have sold as well as PS2 and Xbox, keep in mind Microsoft lost millions on the Xbox to try to establish its brand. I doubt you'll find many at Microsoft who would necessarily declare the Xbox a success. MS was willing to burn millions to get into the gaming industry because - guess what - they looked at the history of the market, saw an opening, and analyzed the past to project the industry's direction.

So excuse me if I take offense that you think my thoughts lack reasoning. I think the arrogance in your tone shows a blatant lack of sophistication, and frankly, the responses you offer lack any understanding of the facts or events of that time. You give no indication that you know anything about videogame history. You don't seem to know Sony and Nintendo jointly made the PlayStation. You don't seem to know that Microsoft rushed to the 360 because the OG Xbox was in fact a fiscal fiasco even Gates retrospectively suggested was too high a price for MS to have paid just to get a brand in the door.

You don't seem to understand at all the industry forces that Nintendo is again ignoring with the Switch, or how any of the decisions that it has made may be fatal given it is now releasing mid-cycle as opposed to start-cycle like it did with the Gamecube, Wii, or Wii U. All the dynamics and risks that are at play now given what the past tells us -- your comments either ignore them or show you have no grasp of them.

So before you go on and accuse someone of lacking reason, I would check to make sure you know enough about the subject. In my view, you sound like a fanboy desperate to pretend like you're the superior mind around here, but without any actual knowledge of the facts, history, and nuances around them. If you're so much better at persuading others, then I'd like to see a better grasp of the facts and the analysis in your skin-deep examples.

And now back to more interesting conversations about the Switch.

I have yet to watch the Fire Emblem video, but have at least read about the announcements.  I'm beginning to think that Nintendo's refusal to dismiss the 3DS may be more than mere corporate lip service.  While no one at Nintendo will say it, the Switch may be an experiment in the truest sense.  What I mean is that Nintendo may have a *serious* back-up plan to release a handheld device after all.

What the Switch tells me is that Nintendo is - for better or worse - taking everything about the Wii and putting it front and center on the Switch: the motion controls, the "HD rumble," the colored peripherals, the inevitable joy-con 2, or the multitude of custom joy-cons for specific games.  In other words, Nintendo seems to think these elements were the reasons for the Wii's success, and has concluded that enhanced iterations of them (or literally more of them) should help Switch succeed.

Based on my posts, most of you know what I think of that reasoning.  I think it completely misses the mark; Nintendo is looking at the trees instead of the forest.  It's neglecting the market conditions that I believe were the largest reason for the Wii's success - and that is casual gamers who had no smartphones or free, downloadable games.  In short, it was a world without Angry Birds.  

All of this is to say the Switch's gimmicks - many of which are why the system is so expensive - are peddling things most consumers probably don't care about anymore.  Didn't Nintendo learn that no one wanted the Wii U and its motion-based, gyroscopic games?  

But what the Switch shows, perhaps, is that Nintendo may be more married to dual-screen gaming than we think.  Sure, it may not have worked on a home console, but to Nintendo, the dual-screen (DS) line has sold almost 200 million machines.  Even the 3DS sold 60+million units.  

Most podcasters and analysts seem to think the Switch is a hybrid that will lead to the end of the 3DS, but it might be that Nintendo is in fact prepping a real DS successor for 1-2 years down the road.

Think about it.  A DS system that has backwards compatibility to the Switch.  There's nothing that makes that sound crazy.  In fact, Nintendo's Fire Emblem announcement, which include 3DS and N3DS releases, and a Switch FE game for 2018 (which we all know will probably be delayed to 2019), suggests Nintendo may be serious about keeping its handheld system on the market alongside the Switch.  It's a decision that seems to indicate Nintendo either shares in people's skepticism for the Switch, or earnestly believes that dual-screen gaming is something that its customers still want -- in a marketplace where smartphone devices are only getting more and more powerful.

It's an interesting possibility.  What makes me consider it with a little more legitimacy is due to the company's decisions behind the Switch hardware in light of its apparent willingness to carry on support for the 3DS despite the fact that the Switch is desperate for software.  Why bother porting FE Warriors?  It's not like Hyrule Warriors ran well even on the N3DS.  Do we really need another gimped one?

Why waste time on DS development at all if you're making mobile games, which Nintendo is?  Why spread yourself thinner when it seemed the point of the Switch was convergence of the divisions.  This FE announcement only reinforced the notion that Nintendo lacks confidence in the Switch.  If we get an E3 where Nintendo announces more 3DS titles, then I think we have to start believing the DS line is coming back.

Frankly, that may be a smart move.  As others here have commented, the Switch seems to be catering to a crowd Nintendo is gambling is big enough to be worth it.  It's too weak to be a home console so the AAA developers are going to wait until there's critical mass to invest resources to port down.  And on the flipside, it's perhaps too big and clunky for the average handheld player, not to mention substantially more expensive when compared to launch prices for the DS, 2DS, and 3DS (again, systems Nintendo apparently plans to keep selling).

The market seems to suggest the handheld pool may be a small one.  Those players may not be much interested in all the doo-hickey tech inside the Switch.  And meaty, home console games don't seem to be what they want, and especially ones priced at anything more than "free."  The home console gamer, on the other hand, may not like getting "watered down" versions of AAA titles.  This is the same crowd that screams on message boards about specs and resolution, even if it's practically impossible to tell with human eyes.  It's the crowd that visits Eurogamer to read the head-to-heads, and buys a game because it offers even a small edge on frame-rates.  Would they buy the Switch?  As long as Nintendo keeps messaging it as a home console, may be not.

So who does that leave?  The Nintendo faithful.  But that wasn't the intent of the Switch, right?  Surely that can't be.

But may be Nintendo has planned ahead because it could be.  And if it is, may be the next DS line is the opposite message of the Switch.  That tagline may be "the handheld console you can play at home."  Besides, if messaging doomed the Wii U, it would seem very unwise for Nintendo to muddle the Switch's message, which has been and remains, "the home console you can take on the go."  The two may sound interchangeable, but trust me, as a branding guy, they couldn't be any more different.

The Gamescoop crew surmised we'll know a lot sooner whether the Switch is going to fly like the Wii or burn down like the Wii U.  I think they're right.  Since Nintendo plans to support mobile games now, one might say that their development teams are saddled with two platforms even if they abandoned the DS line.  

Perhaps better to start with the Switch, and then get your real handheld killer hardware out, and just absorb the Switch's software with the tagline you meant to use in the first place ... May be by then the mobile players will realize free-to-play games and micro-transactions are, in a word, "abysmal."

I think after Nintendo went from 100 million Wiis to 13 (?) million Wii Us they are being careful about ditching a system a system with 63 million users. Are you reading a hell of a lot into two games being released in the next year? Yes, but it is very interesting they are porting Warriors to the New 3DS being that it's only the second game exclusive to the New 3DS vs just the 3DS. I mean they are trying to push the Switch and yet Zelda can be bought on the Wii U and FE: Warriors can be bought on the New 3DS. I currently just chalk it up to Nintendo being slightly out of touch, however you never know.

but it might be that Nintendo is in fact prepping a real DS successor for 1-2 years down the road.

Think about it. A DS system that has backwards compatibility to the Switch. There's nothing that makes that sound crazy.
This is the first interesting idea you've proposed. It's also wrong.

Nintendo isn't going to ditch the 3DS out of hand. It would be foolhardy to do so at this juncture. But they aren't also going to go all-in on a DS successor when they are currently launching another portable system. A New-New 3DS is only possible with the utter failure of the Switch. Granted, this seems to be something you are quite keen on, and fully expecting. But as it stands this is the only scenario that could lead to another DS. Where is the GameBoy line right now? It was supplanted by a successful DS line. If the Switch has solid first-year sales, it will prevent any successor DS system from appearing.

As to my personal arrogance, I'll readily cop to that. I have a strong tendency towards a swelled ego. But you can't really blame me under the circumstances. You haven't done a single thing to refute any of what I've posted. Incoherent, unfocused rambling walls of text do not constitute an argument.

The basic hypothesis I've put forward is that the Switch will do better than the Wii U, but will likely sell less than the Wii in a similar time frame. I understand that this is a difficult position to oppose. When you actually look at it, it's a very reasonable prediction that constitutes a huge swath of outcomes. The Wii U sold only around 13 million over the course of 4+ years. The Wii sold 100+ million over roughly the same time frame. That's an 87+ million spread to cover. Not exactly an ambitious prediction. It's a safe, conservative estimate with plenty of common sense to back it up.

Your assertion that the Switch will be another Wii U, and will perform as badly or worse, baffles me. And you still haven't provided any solid reasoning to back up your claims.

Nintendo isn't going to ditch the 3DS out of hand. It would be foolhardy to do so at this juncture. But they aren't also going to go all-in on a DS successor when they are currently launching another portable system. A New-New 3DS is only possible with the utter failure of the Switch. Granted, this seems to be something you are quite keen on, and fully expecting. But as it stands this is the only scenario that could lead to another DS. Where is the GameBoy line right now? It was supplanted by a successful DS line. If the Switch has solid first-year sales, it will prevent any successor DS system from appearing.

As to my personal arrogance, I'll readily cop to that. I have a strong tendency towards a swelled ego. But you can't really blame me under the circumstances. You haven't done a single thing to refute any of what I've posted. Incoherent, unfocused rambling walls of text do not constitute an argument.

The basic hypothesis I've put forward is that the Switch will do better than the Wii U, but will likely sell less than the Wii in a similar time frame. I understand that this is a difficult position to oppose. When you actually look at it, it's a very reasonable prediction that constitutes a huge swath of outcomes. The Wii U sold only around 13 million over the course of 4+ years. The Wii sold 100+ million over roughly the same time frame. That's an 87+ million spread to cover. Not exactly an ambitious prediction. It's a safe, conservative estimate with plenty of common sense to back it up.

Your assertion that the Switch will be another Wii U, and will perform as badly or worse, baffles me. And you still haven't provided any solid reasoning to back up your claims.
Oh, but he has. "The internet hates it" is his proof.

Again, you're putting words/thoughts there that I didn't say. I think we're actually in more agreement than you think.

I never said Nintendo would ditch the 3DS. I absolutely agree with you; that would be foolish. My post was only imagining a remote possibility where Nintendo might release a successor to the DS line. Of course, even if it did happen, it wouldn't be anytime soon. Nintendo should and needs to be committed to the Switch (though based on some of Reggie's comments, I'm not sure they are).

I also agree with you about the Switch. You seem to think I am arguing it will sell less than Wii U. I never said that. In fact, I've said it looks like a 15-20 million console. That's better than the Wii U, and I agree it should sell more. But I'm not sure 20 million would be seen by many to be a success. The Wii U set the bar low, but just beating by ~10 million won't sit well, and it may only further prove the Big N's base is ... well, small.

Anyways, it'll be fun/interesting to watch. I don't game too much anymore; I'm more fascinated by seeing how the industry rolls, and evolves. There really are few business like it, and the players are intriguing to watch as they compete/jockey for position.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm a long-time Nintendo gamer. Have every system since the NES; bought Gamecube on launch day. Also have the Wii, two GBA (still enjoy some FF Crystal Chronicles now and then), the 3DS, and (yes) the Wii U. Have 25 games on the system everyone seems to hate.

I've said my piece on the Switch, and I'm done writing in this forum as well as any others as they relate to this machine. I hope the console does well. I hope we get amazing Nintendo games (we will). I also hope Nintendo does better at E3 to convince people to buy it.

That all said, my hope is largely clinging to a very small likelihood.

I think the Switch is going to be a debacle (meaning 15-20 million sold). That's not enough to maintain an ecosystem, and certainly not enough to get the AAA developers on board.

It'll be Nintendo's last proprietary machine. Sad, but that's the writing on the wall (IMHO).

Two individuals that share my thoughts on the Switch and Nintendo:
https://youtu.be/9bV8bZ053Aw
https://youtu.be/LenzNAyRnWU

Listen to the Glixel reactions - IMHO, spot on.  Caution to fanboys - you may not like what you hear.

The most devastating fact is when Davison (an industry regular) says he talked with his developer friends who said the Nintendo Switch looks like a "&*&$en disaster" (that's the second podcast).

Btw, on the second podcast below, it appears I am not alone in thinking Nintendo may be readying a real DS successor handheld in the future ...  I like it when I'm right ... it's good to know my feelings/impulses are still in line with those who live and breathe the industry on a daily basis :)

Glixel (1/13/17)

https://megaphone.link/PNP6371275224

Glixel (1/21/17)

https://megaphone.link/PNP5671199290

I've said my piece on the Switch, and I'm done writing in this forum as well as any others as they relate to this machine. I hope the console does well.
1post and 2 days later...
Listen to the Glixel reactions - IMHO, spot on. Caution to fanboys - you may not like what you hear.

The most devastating fact is when Davison (an industry regular) says he talked with his developer friends who said the Nintendo Switch looks like a "&*&$en disaster" (that's the second podcast).

Btw, on the second podcast below, it appears I am not alone in thinking Nintendo may be readying a real DS successor handheld in the future ... I like it when I'm right ... it's good to know my feelings/impulses are still in line with those who live and breathe the industry on a daily basis :)

Glixel (1/13/17)

Glixel (1/21/17)

You have MANY serious problems you should probably get help for.
LOL - I chalk it up to being a passionate Nintendo nerd. Also, probably because I've been working non-stop at my "second" job (writing and drawing my graphic novel), and use this as a means to get away from it all.

LOL - I chalk it up to being a passionate Nintendo nerd. Also, probably because I've been working non-stop at my "second" job (writing and drawing my graphic novel), and use this as a means to get away from it all.
That's grea, really. And it's disappointing when a company we enjoy comes out with a product that doesn't resonate with us. The thing is, if you really want Nintendo to succeed, you shouldn't continue to deride every announcement/revelation about the Switch. All you are doing is churning up other people to dump on it or change their mind, which certainly won't help Nintendo succeed in spite of your apathy toward their product. The thing is, as I've said before, there's plenty of times which Nintendo consoles/games looked terrible on reveal or in the early days were reviled. Despite the lack of internet it goes all the way back to the SNES. "What?!? I have to buy a new console and spend $300 to play the new games? This is a scam, screw Nintendo!" Turns out the SNES was well worth the advancement and an all around great console, but if the Internet had been more than the technology equivalent of a newborn, it would have gotten chewed up and churned.

Remove yourself emotionally from it, for your own mental health sake and for Nintendo's sake.

Even your favorite company is going to come out with a dud product every once in a while. Maybe they string together a few that eventually turn you away from their brand, the thing to remember is that there are still people who enjoy their products and you don't need to turn them away or win them away from a company you used to enjoy.

Hell, for me, I used to be a HUGE Marvel comics fan. For my childhood and about 15 years of my adult life I was at the comic shop every Wednesday to pick up new titles. A little over a month ago I finally decided I was done, after slowly dwindling down to just a few comics a month I was picking up. The thing is, I had made some brief comments on various Internet forums about my disappointment of their direction but when I finally decided to give up I just did. I didn't make a single Internet post, I didn't mention it to any of my friends that followed comics, hell I didn't even mention it to my wife. I was just done and moved on from a hobby that used to be a significant part of my life.

Maybe you're at that point with Nintendo? There's nothing wrong with it, it's not the end of the world. But if you don't enjoy something anymore, don't go out of your way to ruin it for others who do still enjoy it.

And maybe you do end up being right and this is the end for Nintendo. The bigger question you have to ask is thy even if it is, what difference does it make right now spending so much effort and energy deriding Nintendo for the direction? The decisions about the Switch have already been made, they can't abandon it now.

All you are doing is churning up other people to dump on it or change their mind, which certainly won't help Nintendo succeed in spite of your apathy toward their product.
Um lol he's not doing this. People make up their own minds as soon as they see/find out the off way Nintendo is going about this console.

That's grea, really. And it's disappointing when a company we enjoy comes out with a product that doesn't resonate with us. The thing is, if you really want Nintendo to succeed, you shouldn't continue to deride every announcement/revelation about the Switch. All you are doing is churning up other people to dump on it or change their mind, which certainly won't help Nintendo succeed in spite of your apathy toward their product. The thing is, as I've said before, there's plenty of times which Nintendo consoles/games looked terrible on reveal or in the early days were reviled. Despite the lack of internet it goes all the way back to the SNES. "What?!? I have to buy a new console and spend $300 to play the new games? This is a scam, screw Nintendo!" Turns out the SNES was well worth the advancement and an all around great console, but if the Internet had been more than the technology equivalent of a newborn, it would have gotten chewed up and churned.

Remove yourself emotionally from it, for your own mental health sake and for Nintendo's sake.

Even your favorite company is going to come out with a dud product every once in a while. Maybe they string together a few that eventually turn you away from their brand, the thing to remember is that there are still people who enjoy their products and you don't need to turn them away or win them away from a company you used to enjoy.

Hell, for me, I used to be a HUGE Marvel comics fan. For my childhood and about 15 years of my adult life I was at the comic shop every Wednesday to pick up new titles. A little over a month ago I finally decided I was done, after slowly dwindling down to just a few comics a month I was picking up. The thing is, I had made some brief comments on various Internet forums about my disappointment of their direction but when I finally decided to give up I just did. I didn't make a single Internet post, I didn't mention it to any of my friends that followed comics, hell I didn't even mention it to my wife. I was just done and moved on from a hobby that used to be a significant part of my life.

Maybe you're at that point with Nintendo? There's nothing wrong with it, it's not the end of the world. But if you don't enjoy something anymore, don't go out of your way to ruin it for others who do still enjoy it.

And maybe you do end up being right and this is the end for Nintendo. The bigger question you have to ask is thy even if it is, what difference does it make right now spending so much effort and energy deriding Nintendo for the direction? The decisions about the Switch have already been made, they can't abandon it now.
It's an interesting POV, but I can't necessarily agree. I'm of the mind that debate and constructive criticism are essential building blocks to making anything better. Of course, there is some merit to asking what the motivations are of the person making the critique. If it's ill-intended, then perhaps not. But so long as everyone keeps an open mind and are being honest about their opinions, I don't think criticism harms anyone. In fact, without it, some might make misinformed decisions.

I bought a Wii U at launch despite the rounds of criticism and debate among podcasters and industry pundits. I listened to their opinions, and it helped me make the informed decision that I wanted the system regardless of their speculated concerns. It made me go in more eyes-open so that was helpful.

Anyways, all this is to say that I think there's much value in talking about what is both RIGHT and WRONG about all things in life. I know that's a far stretch from a videogame forum, but I've always valued tremendously honest discussion. We may go back and forth, but I don't think the negatives detract from people's enjoyment.

It's unfortunate we live in a world today that blind allegiance is often expected. I enjoy Nintendo products and my critiques is because I want Nintendo around as a console manufacturer -- not just a 3rd party developer ala Sega. And that's why I'm more and more frustrated by their IMHO tone-deaf decisions. In the words of my high school debate coach, "We yell because we care."

That all said, I do think my interest in videogames and Nintendo are at a crossroads. Frankly, I barely play games anymore, and have my hands full with many other things and interests. My game collections are pretty much complete (just wrapped up my 360 and PS3 collections last year), and I picked up enough games on my PS4 to last me a while.

I'll be curious to see how Switch does. I certainly don't think Nintendo is going anywhere. I am not one who thinks they're anywhere near shuttering their doors, and they'll get bought out well before that ever happens. I'd like to see them keeping on with their game machines, though that may stop more or less due to market forces out of their control.

Looking forward to Breath of the Wild on my Wii U. Like I said, I don't game much but I remember putting in a whole weekend on Ocarina of Time back in college ... Hoping this one can live up to the hype Nintendo has put on its shoulders.

Listen to the Glixel reactions - IMHO, spot on. Caution to fanboys - you may not like what you hear.

Btw, on the second podcast below, it appears I am not alone in thinking Nintendo may be readying a real DS successor handheld in the future ... I like it when I'm right ... it's good to know my feelings/impulses are still in line with those who live and breathe the industry on a daily basis :)

Glixel (1/13/17)

Glixel (1/21/17)
Just finished listening to both. Yeah, thanks I have a new podcast to subscribe to now. 👍

I'm surprised the Switch is selling out everywhere and quickly... I don't know if that's b/c of Nintendo's 'supply & demand' tactics or if people really want it for Zelda and don't have a Wii U.  

For the first time, Nintendo is spending money on a Super Bowl ad to promote a specific product. The Switch is getting its own Super Bowl ad. We will see if this has any affect. Of course, the only thing it can really do at this juncture is to boost awareness and possibly exascerbate launch shortages by unnaturally inflating demand. I imagine that is the hope, anyway. We will see whether or not it will contribute to reaching a broader audience. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it.

I'm surprised the Switch is selling out everywhere and quickly... I don't know if that's b/c of Nintendo's 'supply & demand' tactics or if people really want it for Zelda and don't have a Wii U.
I'm thinking it's both.

For the first time, Nintendo is spending money on a Super Bowl ad to promote a specific product. The Switch is getting its own Super Bowl ad. We will see if this has any affect. Of course, the only thing it can really do at this juncture is to boost awareness and possibly exascerbate launch shortages by unnaturally inflating demand. I imagine that is the hope, anyway. We will see whether or not it will contribute to reaching a broader audience. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it.
Let's be honest, part of the reason the Wii U failed was because no one knew what it was. I have never see an add for the thing, or any of it's games. So if Nintendo does a 30 second ad in the same way they did the tease in November that would be great for awareness of the system.

That Super Bowl commercial;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUDkrkykvZs

and extended version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdWd8fUC71g

Extended version is basically everything including Zelda while the edited version is all Zelda.  :rofl:

The song is fine, the guy is cute, and all they show is the system switching and Zelda. That's a perfect Super Bowl ad.

I actually think that the commercials are fine but the best SB commercials are the ones people will actually talk about and usually, those are the commercials that are funny or have something memorable about them. It could get people talking but it won't matter if there are better commercials... but if last year's commercials are any indication, that shouldn't be too much of a problem. 

I actually think that the commercials are fine but the best SB commercials are the ones people will actually talk about and usually, those are the commercials that are funny or have something memorable about them. It could get people talking but it won't matter if there are better commercials... but if last year's commercials are any indication, that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
This isn't 1992, I haven't met anyone in 10 years that gave a damn about the commercials during the Super Bowl, because if they miss one they can just watch them on Youtube.

This isn't 1992, I haven't met anyone in 10 years that gave a damn about the commercials during the Super Bowl, because if they miss one they can just watch them on Youtube.
Odds are, you hang out with people who have similar tastes as you so probably not a surprise that they don't care about SB commercials if you don't.:p

Shows need filler material, SB commercials are always topical. Guarantee there will be plenty of talk about SB commercials. And I doubt anyone is gonna go to YT just to watch all of the commercials... they'll look for the best ones, sure, but not all of them. I get it's a changing world but if SB commercials didn't matter, I doubt companies would be paying millions for 30 seconds.

Odds are, you hang out with people who have similar tastes as you so probably not a surprise that they care about SB commercials if you do. :p
This works both ways. :lol:

Actually I have one 'friend' which I rarely agree with on anything, and he has 20 close 'friends' that all seem to agree perfectly. None of them give a damn about commercials, however they probably only watch the game because Tom Brady is hot or something. :)

Seriously?
Maybe they are trying to figure out where to stick it, is it the Wii - Wii U console or DS 3DS area.

I think CAG is more like Lazy Ass Gamer. :lol: They should just get rid of the Gamecube one, make it Retro, then have a new one for Switch. After the Wii U and 3DS are completely dead move them into Retro. Same with MS and Sony, XB1 and Retro MS and PS4 and Retro Sony.

I think CAG's traffic is down so much, they probably don't think fragmenting the community any more than it already is would be helpful. If you have this forum sorted by "last updated" (the default), the bottom thread on page 1 was last updated 1/26/16...over a year ago. So, it's not like people are having a hard time keeping their threads from being bumped off the first page. I guess "current" and "retro" could work once nobody is posting about those old systems anymore, and you're just moving them for archival purposes.

That said, as a happy Wii U owner, but a Switch skeptic, did you guys see the Kotaku review? There was a good portion that mentioned the system performing noticeably worse when docked and displayed on a TV...with framerate dips in the 20-25 fps range (playing BOTW). I gotta think if Nintendo can't clear that up, that's really going to push people away from using it in that way. I'd imagine people would rather play a smooth game on a small screen than play a choppy game on a big screen.

A LOT of people are the discussing the Switch in the preorder threads I made in Shopping Discussions. I don't think a lot of people there know this topic exists.

First impression is overall pretty good. Didn't expect the Joycons to have some heft to them, And I really didn't expect the console to be so... small. I guess my mind didn't think that only slightly larger than my cell phone meant, well, only slightly larger than my cell phone. 

First impression is overall pretty good. Didn't expect the Joycons to have some heft to them, And I really didn't expect the console to be so... small. I guess my mind didn't think that only slightly larger than my cell phone meant, well, only slightly larger than my cell phone.
Agreed much smaller then I thought it would be.

Does anyone know if we can play multiplayer on two tablets and if so do both Switch consoles need their own game cartridge or digital copy?

anyone having issues with the left joycon connectivity? just curious to how widespread it is.
Yes -- left Jon Con de-synchs even when attached to the Switch tablet. Ugh. THis is what happens when you're an early adopter.

anyone having issues with the left joycon connectivity? just curious to how widespread it is.
One worrying thing is giant Beastcast discussed it, and last week Dan said it was fine. This week he said the more he has played the worse it has been. That sounds like bad hardware getting worse. So glad I cancelled....But hope whatever it is gets fixed, I'm sure my kids would love to play the upcoming Mario game.
But then again if a bad switch pushed Nintendo into software only, everyone wins?

For all you new Switch owners thinking about skinning your system, don't.
Good to know. I personally never do this anyway. But it's still informative for those who might. Personally, I forsee a cottage industry springing up for custom Switch shells, and Joycon shells. Companies like Rose Colored Gaming have been doing this sort of thing for Nintendo portables for years. The design of the Switch is simple enough that a replacement plastic external plate for the system and controllers wouldn't be that difficult to manufacture. That would allow for custom colors and designs for the exterior of the console.

bread's done
Back