Nintendo Switch Preorder Thread 2.0

(Why pay $80 for Joycons and $90 for a dock and not get an extra switch for $100 more?)
This. I have two preordered in case I want to do this. I did want an extra dock and was thinking about getting another set of joycons.

Then again, I'm thinking this would work as well. Just not as clean: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1225397&gclid=Cj0KEQiA5vXEBRChycOl36LPn5EBEiQAJV2-bBtxhJ0ZQtp8GZ-_Ov1g8jlQmCWS0lLzLqlXNsCrDrsaAhd18P8HAQ&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C92051677562%2C&A=details&Q=

As far as the reviews, if someone thinks the DS4 is the superior controller, their reviews on controllers should be immediately discounted.
I generally do think the DS4 is the superior controller. The ergonomics on it are better than the XB1's. Granted, this is just a matter of gradation, as the ergonomics for both controllers are excellent. The stick placements aren't quite as nice as the XB1's for the purpose of FPS titles, but they are still quite good. (and considerably better than the DS3's) And a major factor is the D-Pad, which is excellent on the DS4 and only mediocre on the XB1. The battery life is a valid issue, though less so if you normally play on the couch. (or have access to more than one controller that you can swap out) Also, the speaker on the DS4 has been one of the more pleasant surprises.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the Joycon controllers. I'm also very much looking forward to seeing what 3rd parties can do with more outlandish controllers for the Switch. I want to see someone put out a game/controller combo for the Switch where you play the system in portrait mode. I'm thinking vertical SHMUPs could be huge on this thing.

Has the hori pro controller been shown? Their controllers are usually decent and themed in some way for 1/2 or 2/3 the price of Nintendo stuff. If you're on the fence I would just wait for that.

Here's a size comparison between the Wii U and Switch pro controllers...

MjFmMDRkNTAxZiMvMDZwV01jc2djbTM5NXplWEltZDl0UGttVnpVPS80OHgyNDozOTg0eDI4NDUvNjIxeDQ0NS9maWx0ZXJzOnF1YWxpdHkoNzApL2h0dHA6Ly9zMy5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL3BvbGljeW1pYy1pbWFnZXMveHJlaDJ0cmc3NHBpYXV5ZzN1dWhnZWdodXkwcThpdjZxNWZwbmcxNTFkeG1mZ2J4M2kxcGlmN3N1Z2dvY3F5cy5qcGc.jpg

Has the hori pro controller been shown? Their controllers are usually decent and themed in some way for 1/2 or 2/3 the price of Nintendo stuff. If you're on the fence I would just wait for that.
Yeah, Hori makes some solid controllers, at a pretty good price as well. I've had many over the years, and have never been disappointed by any one of them.

I still need to buy one of their N64 controllers, as it looks like a major improvement over the official "N" one. Prices are a little high, but not to bad, sadly I never saw these when they where first released, so it's one of the only ones from them I've never owned at some point or time.

Why does it matter? I think Nintendo is letting the customer vote on it. If they like it as a handheld and like the games on it then it will probably replace the 3ds.
My point is the fact that Switch is a handheld is excellent for people who don't want a handheld. If it replaces the 3DS it means that no future Nintendo games will be available exclusively on a handheld.

But unfortunately most people don't think of that. If they aren't interested in the handheld part of the system they just see an overpriced/underpowered home console.

Last generation if you preferred to play a home console you missed out on all the 3DS games. If you preferred to play a handheld you missed out on all the Wii U games.

I think Nintendo needs to clearly state that the Switch will replace the 3DS. If that happens every single Nintendo game from now on will be available on both a handheld and a home console. That would be great for everyone but Nintendo hasn't conveyed that message.
Because it's not replacing the 3DS. Have you been paying attention at all?

The stick placements were my main reason for the pro controller before. I hated how the buttons were directly above the sticks for the Gamepad/Joycons. 

No company is going to flat out tell the costumer "hey we're discontinuing this line of hardware" unless it was a total flop that was Ouya and Wii U
While I don't expect them to stop manufacturing the 3DS any time soon, I don't expect them to make many new games for it either. So it's deceptive to customers to say that 3DS will continue.

And it'll hurt Switch sales with a some people opting to buy a New 3DS XL for $200 instead of buying a Switch for $300. Those people will be disappointed by how few games are released from this point on.

Last edited by a moderator:
That all depends on sales. When the DS was released Nintendo said it wouldn't replace the Game Boy.
It has nothing to do with what "Ninendo says"

3DS = money making cash cow

Switch = an unknown

The 3DS isn't going anywhere for at least a couple of years. 3DS software and hardware sales keep Nintendo operating at a profit. I'd think you'd notice this when you go into any store and 2/3s of the Nintendo area is 3DS stuff. The only thing that's going to replace the 3DS is its successor.

The only thing that's going to replace the 3DS is its successor.
Why would anyone want a 3DS successor? For people who prefer handhelds they'd need two systems to have access to all the games (3DS successor & Switch). For people who prefer home consoles they're missing half the games. Who does this benefit?

Given how close the prices are, there may very well never be a 3ds successor.

Plenty of ways they could go one pillar given the switches form factor and capabilities. Then they will smear their single pillared dong all over the industry

The 3ds will be around for a while & just how long will depend upon the initial success of the switch. It will benefit us primarily console gamers greatly if they phase out the 3ds altogether because the development teams can focus on switch games. Just think combining the titles that released on the wii u, 3ds, ds, onto one platform. There'd never be a break in releases which is something we nintendo console gamers have dreamed of. I still say that there will be a market gap that nintendo has to fill with a small handheld that plays switch games. It will have to have a great battery life, fold, & be at a low price point of around $150 in order to be much successful I believe. This will be a few years because a small 720p screen is not going to be cheap enough yet. Having all systems play the same game cards is something Nintendo obviously has been wanting to do for a long time so what better way to start that than with a hybrid like the switch. It's just the beginning. 

That all depends on sales. When the DS was released Nintendo said it wouldn't replace the Game Boy.
Different situation. DS was a huge success and the same types of games that were on Gameboy could be on the DS.

Plus the DS was just as portable as the Gameboy so it could appeal to the same market. The Switch is NOT anywhere near as portable as the 3DS or any other dedicated handheld.

And you're right, sales do matter. The 3DS is still selling well. Nintendo isn't going to abandon that or the large user base.

Why would anyone want a 3DS successor? For people who prefer handhelds they'd need two systems to have access to all the games (3DS successor & Switch). For people who prefer home consoles they're missing half the games. Who does this benefit?
You don't seem to get that it doesn't matter what anyone wants or prefers. Nintendo has had a home console + handheld console for 28 years.

Making games at a 400 x 240 resolution is very different from developing for the home console. Developers make games for the 3DS because they are more profitable, since the games are much cheaper and easier to make. That kind of quality does not translate well to the big screen TV. Nor does the $50-60 price point for cheaply made games. Conversely, the Switch doesn't have anywhere near the same amount of portability as the 3DS in regards to form factor or battery charge. They are different beasts entirely.

You don't seem to get that it doesn't matter what anyone wants or prefers. Nintendo has had a home console + handheld console for 28 years.

Making games at a 400 x 240 resolution is very different from developing for the home console. Developers make games for the 3DS because they are more profitable, since the games are much cheaper and easier to make. That kind of quality does not translate well to the big screen TV. Nor does the $50-60 price point for cheaply made games. Conversely, the Switch doesn't have anywhere near the same amount of portability as the 3DS in regards to form factor or battery charge. They are different beasts entirely.
But with the Switch's existence how can a 3DS successor with a lower quality screen and cheaply developed games compete. The solution to the Switch's lack of portability is to make a smaller more portable Switch revision, not a 3DS successor.

But unfortunately most people don't think of that. If they aren't interested in the handheld part of the system they just see an overpriced/underpowered home console.
So true and it bugs me. Yes, it's not as powerful as the X1 or PS4, but we do know it's running a "custom" Tegra processor. We don't know if it's based on the K1, X1 or something totally new, but the tegra X1 is no real slouch and not having to worry about android's overhead would make it that much better. I don't see people complaining about how the Nvidia Shield TV (Tegra X1) is overpriced, and it's $200 with 16GB storage, 3GB ram, zero portability, and can handle 4K/HDR.

For a $100 premium with the switch, you get a capacitive touchscreen, 2 controllers technically (the joy-cons), and portability with solid Nintendo construction (I have NEVER had a nintendo console break on me, from the NES till now) and it seems like a good choice. Now if more developers would open up about what they actually have coming out in the next year. Personally hoping for a few more fighters and the niche jrpgs that are keeping the Vita on life support to come out on the switch.

The market changes, those who fail to adapt to the market changes fail to adapt their businesses.

The reality is, the casual market is moving towards mobile gaming even more so then before.

I expect the Switch to do great in Japan because of the portable + home features and slim design that takes up no room at all.

It would be cheaper to replace the 3DS line in the long run too as units starts to sell slow.

The solution to that is to make a smaller more portable Switch, not a 3DS successor.
So instead of Nintendo having multiple platforms they can just have one and sell less. Seems like a good idea.

I really don't understand why people are so hellbent on the Switch replacing the 3ds.

Hasn't there been Nintendo events where people had the opportunity to test it out?
There is a nintendo switch preview tour. I somehow got invited but not going. NY already happened so there should be some people posting about it. The rest are soon. Curious what cool swag they might be giving out.

• New York – Jan. 13-15
  • Washington, D.C. – Feb. 10-12
  • Chicago – Feb. 17-19
  • San Francisco – Feb. 24-26
  • Los Angeles – March 3-5

So instead of Nintendo having multiple platforms they can just have one and sell less. Seems like a good idea.

I really don't understand why people are so hellbent on the Switch replacing the 3ds.
The vast majority of the profit comes from game sales not system sales. If someone only buys one system instead of two, they'll have more money to spend on games. And if Nintendo is making all their games for one system instead of two, that system will get more games.

Hasn't there been Nintendo events where people had the opportunity to test it out?
I've used both. It really comes down to your love for a traditional controller or not. The grip works well, you can't really complain much about it. If the right joystick was offset a bit more I'd like it better but I understand why it has to be the way it is. Still very useable though.

The pro controller ultimately is just a luxury. A very nice luxury though. The buttons are bigger (including bumper and trigger), the stick placement is better IMO, and the triggers are more clicky compared to the joycons. Plus a normal style D-pad. These are all great but none of them are a must have that warrant $70+ bucks.

Ultimately I have one preordered but I'm going to hold off on actually opening it until I play more Zelda with the grip. That way I can evaluate stock and need. If it is sold out I'll keep it because I know I will want one for Smash. If it is readily available, I'll return and just wait until I need it or there is a sale.

Probably because they are tired of underpowered handhelds. I love the 3DS but every time I pick up a Vita I cringe at the visual difference.

Also a unified console line means we will get "console" quality Pokémon!

The vast majority of the profit comes from the game sales not system sales. If someone only buys one system instead of two, they'll have more money to spend on games. And if Nintendo is making all their games for one system instead of two, that one system will get more games.

No, that just means there are less games to choose from. Multiple platforms means more options for developers.

Plus Nintendo themselves can put the same games on both platforms as they've done multiple times already. More sales = more money. There are games I'd buy on a true portable that I have no interest in playing on a console.

Nintendo makes Nintendo devices.  Not Roku boxes, not smart phones, not all-in-one media players, not retina display tablets. 

what is the consensus of the pro controller? I am thinking of cancelling my pre-order and just use the joy-con.
I used the Pro Controller at Pax South for about 15 minutes during the LoZ demo. It was quite comfortable in my large hands and reminded me of the Xbox one controller. Unless I am playing multiplayer or a motion game like Arms, I plan to leave the Joycons connected while the Switch is docked and just use the Pro Contoller. That way the system+joycons are fully charged and ready to be tossed into my bag when I leave the house.

Why can't you play those types of games on a Switch undocked?
Because I can't just grab the Switch, put it in my pocket and just go when I'm going somewhere. If I don't get the chance to play my 3ds while I'm out, no big deal. It was easy to bring. Taking the Switch with me like that is far less convenient and not worth it unless I'm absolutely sure I'll be playing it.

Because I can't just grab the Switch, put it in my pocket and just go when I'm going somewhere. If I don't get the chance to play my 3ds while I'm out, no big deal. It was easy to bring. Taking the Switch with me like that is far less convenient and not worth it unless I'm absolutely sure I'll be playing it.
You need bigger pockets.

[attachment=25452:IMG_0229.PNG]

Problem solved. Personally I put my 3DS XL, Tablet and laptop in a backpack whenever I'm traveling.

You need bigger pockets.
To be fair, the Switch is definitely not meant to fit in your pockets. Even if you can fit the screen in one pocket, the idea of shoving 2 joycons in another pocket sounds awful.

I never carry my 3DS in my pocket though so the idea of the Switch being the handheld console in the future doesn't bother me personally.

I'm trying to imagine a 3DS successor being revealed in a few years.

"It's a new handheld with a lower quality screen and worse quality games than the handheld we already released (Switch)."

Who would buy that?

I'm trying to imagine a 3DS successor being revealed.

"It's a new handheld with a lower quality screen and worse quality games than the handheld we released a couple years ago (Switch)."

Who would buy that?
How is that any different than ever? The screen is always worse than your TV and the graphics are worse than console and yet many people buy them.

The Switch isn't portable like a DS is. Not even close. Between size and battery life it just isn't.

To be fair, the Switch is definitely not meant to fit in your pockets. Even if you can fit the screen in one pocket, the idea of shoving 2 joycons in another pocket sounds awful.

I never carry my 3DS in my pocket though so the idea of the Switch being the handheld console in the future doesn't bother me personally.
I checked the other day, and the Switch with joycons attached is definitely going to fit in my Winter coat pockets. So I'll actually get to use it as a portable a few months out of the year! That is, until the cold kills the battery in 5 minutes.

I think a 3DS successor is unlikely. The current 3DS line is established and efficient enough to cruise along just fine for a few more years. Nintendo is going to adjust their 3DS plans based on Switch performance in the market. They've proved in the past that they are willing to do this. If the Switch does well, and establishes itself as a viable platform, then any plans for a 3DS successor will likely fade away. If the Switch tanks, then yes, you will get another version of Nintendo's handheld line.

At the same time, Nintendo isn't going to be retiring the 3DS any time soon. The 3DS shortages over the 2016 holidays were puzzling, but I'm thinking they had at least a little to do with Nintendo's production priorities. Nintendo was likely committing as much of their production resources as possible to the Switch in time for the launch they knew was coming. But the 3DS has a solid install base, and much better 3rd party development support. It would be foolhardy for them to simply abandon it. That is why they announced 3DS versions of some Switch games in the works. They'll continue to support the 3DS as long as there is a market. It's only if current 3DS owners start migrating to the Switch instead that they would consider closing things down on the 3DS. And that would have to be a pretty massive migration.

I'm trying to imagine a 3DS successor being revealed in a few years.

"It's a new handheld with a lower quality screen and worse quality games than the handheld we already released (Switch)."

Who would buy that?
How is that any different than ever? The screen is always worse than your TV and the graphics are worse than console and yet many people buy them.
Actually he brings up a fair point, people are already comparing the Switch's battery life to other gaming devices and tablets.

Whatever next handheld Nintendo brings out will need to beat the Switch in features far as handheld power and features.

The only reason people are being so lax on the Switch's Graphical power is because of the portable mode of it.

People will always compared "X device is better then this device"

The Switch isn't portable like a DS is. Not even close. Between size and battery life it just isn't.
Size I kinda agree (I couldn't imagine sticking a 3DS in my pocket either, that seems absurd), but the battery life is actually comparable to OG 3DS.

Actually he brings up a fair point, people are already comparing the Switch's battery life to other gaming devices and tablets.
Whatever next handheld Nintendo brings out will need to beat the Switch in features far as handheld power and features.

The only reason people are being so lax on the Switch's Graphical power is because of the portable mode of it.
It won't though. You think parents buying a 3ds for their kids care if it has the best graphics and screen? Portables make up for the lack of power with portability and games. The 3ds is still selling well and those screens were bad the day it was announced.

Of course people are willing to accept less on a portable system over their TV. But I just don't see that many people preferring the drastically underpowered 3DS over a Switch just because it's slightly more portable. The size difference between a 3DS XL and a Switch isn't nearly as great as you are making it out to be.

It won't though. You think parents buying a 3ds for their kids care if it has the best graphics and screen? Portables make up for the lack of power with portability and games. The 3ds is still selling well and those screens were bad the day it was announced.
Take the Xbox 1 vs Ps4 for an example, kids wanted the ps4 over the xbox because they heard the ps4 was more powerful on youtube and news sites.

They're more likely to buy what their kids ask for during Christmas.

Handheld consoles are more about software and support at the end of the day through.

Anyway, this whole conversation is a moot point considering we don't know how the market will change going into next year.
There too many factors in the way especially without having E3 yet.

I checked the other day, and the Switch with joycons attached is definitely going to fit in my Winter coat pockets. So I'll actually get to use it as a portable a few months out of the year! That is, until the cold kills the battery in 5 minutes.
I live in Texas so idk what a winter coat is 😂 I meant jean pockets.

Probably because they are tired of underpowered handhelds. I love the 3DS but every time I pick up a Vita I cringe at the visual difference.

Also a unified console line means we will get "console" quality Pokémon!
No one seems to be catching on to the fact that mobile games are likely to be their toe dip into the water and likely replacement for the 3DS while driving more focus to the Switch for traditional and some casual gamers. That's honestly where they're at now and I think its a fine move provided software continues to flow out for both platforms.

bread's done
Back