Nintendo Switch Preorder Thread 2.0

It wasn't a preorder but the New 3DS XL I ordered from Target last fall reached me well before the expected arrival date. They said it would take a week and I got it in two days. Not sure if their shipping is always that fast, I don't order from them a lot.

It wasn't a preorder but the New 3DS XL I ordered from Target last fall reached me well before the expected arrival date. They said it would take a week and I got it in two days. Not sure if their shipping is always that fast, I don't order from them a lot.
With the red card its the same as Amazon Prime, 2 days.

So GameFly is getting Switch games after all. Got this in the mail:

GameFly is happy to announce that we will be supporting the Nintendo Switch upon launch! This means you can get all your favorite Nintendo Switch games just like your Playstation, Xbox, or Wii U games, delivered right to your door.

Here are all the titles you can add to your Q today and don't forget to update your console ownership.

Good idea for those on the fence about Bomberman R and 1 2 Switch. Good way to try them out.

Going to rent both, and will cancel my Bomberman R preorder. I've never played a Bomberman before, so I'm not even sure if I'll like it. And now with Jeff Gerstmann saying it was pretty bad, I'm more on the fence about it. Going to just rent it, and If I do like it then I'll pick it up.

This is a good question. On PlayStation games from different regions are regarded as separate games, but I believe that on most multiplayer titles you can just select the region's servers you want to play from, so you can have a better connection and a lower ping. This is up to each game to have that option though, as far as I know. And to be honest, I doubt Nintendo will give you that option. :/
This isn't exactly right. Some games are "different", most often owing to publishing rights issues in different markets--a good example would be Demon's Souls, which was published by SCEI in Japan, Atlus in North America and Namco Bandai in the EU. If you had a copy from one region, you would not be able to access servers for the other, in significant part because they were maintained (and the IP legally owned) by a different party than the one that actually brought your particular copy of the game to market. You could buy copies of the EU or Asian versions of the game, play them on American PS3s and still connect to the overseas servers without issue, and, of course, the trophy lists were separate, so it was conceivably possible to triple-plat that title. The vast majority of games wherein a single publisher held the rights in all territories, the games in each territory would be the same (but for language localization), so you could play on other regions' servers without any problem.

With Nintendo, who knows, but there's no particular technical challenge which would act as a hurdle, and for all of their first-party titles, the legal/IP issues such as the one I described above wouldn't matter, but they're obviously a pretty restrictive and retrograde company in terms of networking philosophy and infrastructure, so I could easily see them barring it for some entirely capricious reason.

I haven't been keeping up much with all of the previews for the system.

For those who have, has it been confirmed that the console can be charged over any USB-C (USB 3.0) cable without the dock?

and can any USB 3.0 ethernet adapter work with the console to connect online?

Looking to purchase an extra Charge cable and Ethernet adapter before the console drops if they've have been confirmed to work. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Going into the Nintendo Switch completely blind. Hopefully I'm not disappointed. Huge Zelda fan and I have over $400 in BB reward certs so I can get it for free. Thinking if I'm that disappointed with it Ill just return it though as I do need to buy the 1080 ti when announced.

Going to rent both, and will cancel my Bomberman R preorder. I've never played a Bomberman before, so I'm not even sure if I'll like it. And now with Jeff Gerstmann saying it was pretty bad, I'm more on the fence about it. Going to just rent it, and If I do like it then I'll pick it up.
I haven't played a Bomberman game in ages, but it is just about one of the best multiplayer games you can ever play(single player not so much). It has one of those formulas that as long as the base game goes unchanged, there should never be a problem. If someone is saying this latest version is bad, that's not good, as it's Bomberman, how do you fuck that up?

I haven't been keeping up much with all of the previews for the system.

For those who have, has it been confirmed that the console can be charged over any USB-C (USB 3.0) cable without the dock?

and can any USB 3.0 ethernet adapter work with the console to connect online?

Looking to purchase an extra Charge cable and Ethernet adapter before the console drops if they've have been confirmed to work.
It should be able to charge with most USB-C cables. GameXplain tested their phone charger and it worked. https://twitter.com/GameXplain/status/834830220544798720

As for the ethernet adapter, this is something I've been looking for as well. I've only seen one answer, and it was someone saying it didn't work - but the Switch can't connect to internet yet, so this might be why. Also, it has two 2.0 ports and one 3.0 USB port, so potentially either kind will work.

I haven't played a Bomberman game in ages, but it is just about one of the best multiplayer games you can ever play(single player not so much). It has one of those formulas that as long as the base game goes unchanged, there should never be a problem. If someone is saying this latest version is bad, that's not good, as it's Bomberman, how do you fuck that up?
I can't think of a bad bomberman game in the last 20 years.

Single-player varies, with co-op being added into the game I can see it being the best bomberman man game since n64 and jetters

In fairness, I'd say making the graphics 3-d has always hurt the grid-based bomberman games. Speed and framerate typically suffer compared to 2-D games and they usually tilt the camera in such a way as to make it harder than in 2-d to gauge exactly where you're standing (which can get you killed).

Still, they've got 8-player this time out, it's the first game in the series in many years, and it involves some of the Super Bomberman staff...I'd be a backer if this were a kickstarter description given how much Super Bomberman I've played. I'm in at launch regardless of reviews.

Thanks for the quick reply,

Just put in an order at Amazon for a USB C - USB A 3.0 cable.

Will wait for confirmation on the Ethernet adapter, since usb 2.0 and usb 3.0 compatibility might be an issue.

Hopefully wii/wii u compatible ones end up working. ($30 for a nintendo branded ethernet adapter is ridiculous when i can get one for $10)

Will wait for confirmation on the Ethernet adapter, since usb 2.0 and usb 3.0 compatibility might be an issue.
Hopefully wii/wii u compatible ones end up working. ($30 for a nintendo branded ethernet adapter is ridiculous when i can get one for $10)
HI-CABLE High Speed Braided USB Type C Charging Cable, 6 Feet (2 Pieces) - Gray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYQ6YNW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_hgn25TJi4EqXb

I got these for my Google Pixel phone and they are very good. The Pixel uses Type C

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Hopefully a wii/wii u compatible ones end up working. ($30 for a nintendo branded ethernet adapter is ridiculous when i can get one for $10)
No problem. I put this somewhere in this thread I think, but if you're planning on getting a Pro controller it also comes with a USB 3.0 charging cable. So you might not need to buy another unless you want lots of 'em.

"This accessory comes with a USB Type-C connector and a USB Type-C cable that allows you to charge it."

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/nintendo-switch-accessory/nintendo-switch-pro-controller/11396097.html#OWFRUhPKfhuFCOoC.97

In fairness, I'd say making the graphics 3-d has always hurt the grid-based bomberman games. Speed and framerate typically suffer compared to 2-D games and they usually tilt the camera in such a way as to make it harder than in 2-d to gauge exactly where you're standing (which can get you killed).

Still, they've got 8-player this time out, it's the first game in the series in many years, and it involves some of the Super Bomberman staff...I'd be a backer if this were a kickstarter description given how much Super Bomberman I've played. I'm in at launch regardless of reviews.
Yeah, I haven't played since the 2D days, but I figured once they added the 3D, the systems had more horse power, so I figured all was good, I guess not.

Just spent a little bit of time looking into this Joy Con connectivity issue that Deader mentioned. That is not a small thing, I hope it's a firmware issue.

Luckily, I already have a few lying around (my phone uses USB-C), as for networking, I plan to take the one from my Wii U and it will become wireless only.

Aren't there issues of incompatible USB 3.0 stuff?

Ah, QuickCharge and 3.0.
Yes, there are some... from "shady" companies not following spec to "shady" companies wiring the cables/devices for USB 2.0 (yes, Type-C DOES NOT automatically mean USB 3/3.1). It was mentioned before, but Benson Leung, a Google employee, has been testing USB-C cables and devices to see if they are within spec, actually frying a Pixel (Chromebook) with some crap hardware.

You cannot go wrong with his recommendations

https://www.amazon.com/gp/profile/amzn1.account.AFLICGQRF6BRJGH2RRD4VGMB47ZA?ie=UTF8&ref_=cm_cr_rdp_pdp_enth

720p vs 900p. Not that much of a difference. Auonuma confirmed that the frame rate is the same on both.
Also like to add that we have not seen the wii u version since E3. I feel like Nintendo has purposefully held off on showing it so peeps are not dissecting every pixel of both versions before release. People who dont think the wii u can handle such a big game competently obviously never played Xenoblade Chronicles X. That coupled with the fact that Monolith helped out with BotW gives me condidence the Wii U version will stack up just fine with the switch version. I just wish they hadnt removed wii u specific features just because they have a switch version too.

720p vs 900p. Not that much of a difference. Auonuma confirmed that the frame rate is the same on both.
Also like to add that we have not seen the wii u version since E3. I feel like Nintendo has purposefully held off on showing it so peeps are not dissecting every pixel of both versions before release. People who dont think the wii u can handle such a big game competently obviously never played Xenoblade Chronicles X. That games performance coupled with the fact that Monolith helped out with BotW gives me condidence the Wii U version will stack up just fine with the switch version. I just wish they hadnt removed wii u specific features just because they have a switch version too. That kinda feels like a slap to us wii u supporters as well, but its zelda so ill give them a pass. Just can't wait to finally play it after all these years!

I can't think of a bad bomberman game in the last 20 years.

Single-player varies, with co-op being added into the game I can see it being the best bomberman man game since n64 and jetters

Thanks guys for your input. Hope Gerstmann's impressions were off and this does turn out to be good game.

Maybe Thursday? Its been a while since I pre-ordered a launch console from Amazon but usually a day before.
I could find OP u replied to so.

I ordered the Pikachu 3ds on the second wave of availability and as of today, it still says delivery tomorrow but not shipped.
On the other thread people ordered it from other stores and they got the item yesterday.

I'm the prime member on the accounts at my house. I ordered the more expensive art book yesterday at first availability from Amazon and got next day shipping for one of my kids. My wife, family member on my prime, ordered it late in day for the other kid when it was going in and out of availability, with only 2 day shipping available.
Hers plus the galaxy 3ds shipped a few hours later and arrived tomorrow. My order of the book, due today, hasn't shipped yet and neither has the 3ds.

This happens all the time, so IMHO there is no rhyme or reason the way they do things and we can speculate all want, but Amazon will do wants it does.

The yellow just went in stock at Walmart. My text message said $249.
I thought that was third party and didn't think nowinstock posted those.
Clocked on link, and guess what, ship and sold by Walmart.
So much for their price drop policy.

SHAME!!!!

Thanks guys for your input. Hope Gerstmann's impressions were off and this does turn out to be good game.
As a long time Gerstmann fan, I know that he skews negative more often than not. So unless the frame rate and camera angle are truly off at release as they were in preview, Bomberman might be OK.

Well, he was fired from GS for his bad reviews... I never really read his reviews because I wasn't a fan of GS nor IGN.
Yeah, that was a mess. Marketing should never have been messing with editorial, but to be perfectly honest Gerstman is pretty much an asshole in his reviews. If they had a problem with his tone, they definitely shouldn't have dealt with it over a game with significant advertising content. I get not liking a game, and reading a thorough takedown can be fun, but you can get your point across more professionally. He has always been overly harsh to games, which is fine as long as you take that into account.

I'll take note of his opinion on Bomberman R, but I'm definitely going to look for a second opinion before even considering a cancel. Game looks great and I haven't played a Bomberman game in years, I think my sons will love it.

Here's a video showing the Joy-Con issues, and what appears to be causing it. Rather sad if you ask me, but whatever, ENJOY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbG3F9RwlcY

So in a somewhat related topic. I found a Wii U with Mario maker at a local Walmart MSRP. Is it worth picking up for future value?
Well, Mario Maker is definitely the title to beat on the Wii U. And the majority of Wii U games are now much cheaper than they used to be. You can get a copy of Zombi U at most used game retailers for less than $10. If you're interested in giving the Wii U a try, then yes, it would be worth picking that particular package up. Especially if you want a new unit. If not, you might be better off picking up a used unit. Used units on Nintendo hardware are usually a fairly safe bet. Nintendo always designed their systems to be durable, so a used Wii U is more likely to work than most other used consoles.

As to whether the Wii U itself is worth having, that's more a matter of personal perspective. In my case, I would say yes. But I am a fan of Nintendo's internal development, and have been for most of my life. It would be a good idea to peruse some "Best of Wii U" lists, and see what kind of games are on such lists. If none of those games seem interesting to you, then maybe it would be better to pass on the Wii U. A system with no games that you want to play may as well be a paperweight.

Also, the number of Wii-related accessories that you own is also worth taking into account. One of the Wii U's biggest strengths was in its local multiplayer support. But local multiplayer requires extra controllers. If you don't have any extra Wiimotes sitting around, and there aren't many single-player Wii U games you want to try, then once again it might be better to give the Wii U a pass.

I haven't looked into Super Bomberman R too much yet. I know it has online multiplayer, and that's had me sold from the first moment I heard it. Bomberman Live for Xbox Live was absolutely the best game the 360 ever had to offer. I put hundreds upon hundreds of hours playing that with most of the players in the top 200 in the leaderboards. It was a very active game for 3-4 years but most people went their separate days. Hoping I can jump on and see some familiar screen names also playing!

Really hoping Konami didn't fuck up the good thing Hudson Soft had going.

Here's a video showing the Joy-Con issues, and what appears to be causing it. Rather sad if you ask me, but whatever, ENJOY!

This is the downside of having a controller made-up of two smaller wireless controllers. Most smaller controllers I have suffer from the same issue (Apple TV for instance). Pretty damn unfortunate.

Hopefully they can somehow patch this, but it seems unlikely.

I have been thinking about canceling my pre order. Not as excited as I first was, I have a huge backlog as it is, and Amazon cancelled my Zelda Master Edition. These 3 factors are weighing heavy on my decision. Just started playing World of Final Fantasy and by me only being able to play maybe 2 hours a day, I might not get to Zelda for some time.
I am in the same boat, except no preorder. I was on the fence the entire time and was going to go to a midnight launch, but now with no ME, I think I might just preorder the Wii U edition and wait on the Switch...

I haven't looked into Super Bomberman R too much yet. I know it has online multiplayer, and that's had me sold from the first moment I heard it. Bomberman Live for Xbox Live was absolutely the best game the 360 ever had to offer. I put hundreds upon hundreds of hours playing that with most of the players in the top 200 in the leaderboards. It was a very active game for 3-4 years but most people went their separate days. Hoping I can jump on and see some familiar screen names also playing!

Really hoping Konami didn't fuck up the good thing Hudson Soft had going.
You people are making me more excited for it. Might keep my preorder after all.

Yeah, that was a mess. Marketing should never have been messing with editorial, but to be perfectly honest Gerstman is pretty much an asshole in his reviews. If they had a problem with his tone, they definitely shouldn't have dealt with it over a game with significant advertising content. I get not liking a game, and reading a thorough takedown can be fun, but you can get your point across more professionally. He has always been overly harsh to games, which is fine as long as you take that into account.

I'll take note of his opinion on Bomberman R, but I'm definitely going to look for a second opinion before even considering a cancel. Game looks great and I haven't played a Bomberman game in years, I think my sons will love it.
So he's like Jim Sterling and Colin Moriarty. These people like being asses just for the sake of it.

Wow, that is a major design flaw. Did Nintendo even test this thing at all?
Like I've said before, they build stuff, and then sort out the issues later. This seems to be the perfect case in point. I hope for them, this is an easy fix, and that they come out soon and address it, but they are pretty tight lipped most of the time, so who knows? They might just keep silent, and not say anything depending on how wide spread the problem may be.

Everything about the NS just seems rushed to me, like they just started making it recently, and had to get it out by March 3rd for some unknown reason. Since the Joy_cons are the main selling point of the NS, they should be bullet proof in my opinion, but I guess their R&D had different ideas.

EDIT: I guess they should have been more concerned with these things working properly, than if you can tell how many ice cubes are in a glass uh? LOL

As a long time Gerstmann fan, I know that he skews negative more often than not. So unless the frame rate and camera angle are truly off at release as they were in preview, Bomberman might be OK.
He also only played it for a few minutes early at an event. Everything recent I've seen has been positive.

I'm actually surprised at this. You can say whatever you want about Nintendo, but their hardware is usually top notch. They have excellent quality control. I'm really perplexed how this problem wasn't noticed by Nintendo and fixed before being shipped. Like Trump would say: SAD!

Seriously though- this is the ONLY thing that is actually making me question my pre-order. I didn't care about the previous problems and hiccups, but this is something that is actually pretty bad. I'm going to wait till Nintendo says something on the matter. If they say it can be patched, then I'll pick it up. But if it can't be, I might actually skip the launch after all. Which is something I can't believe I'm saying, as I've been so fucking excited for it. But I won't spend $300 on a system if the controllers don't work properly. While I can purchase the Pro controller, it still won't make up for the fucking controllers that come in the box not working.

Again, I really hope Nintendo can fix this. As otherwise I can see this really affecting their sales. Not even Nintendo diehards like me will support this kind of shit.

I'm actually surprised at this. You can say whatever you want about Nintendo, but their hardware is usually top notch. They have excellent quality control. I'm really perplexed how this problem wasn't noticed by Nintendo and fixed before being shipped. Like Trump would say: SAD!
alternative gaming facts

C9toFJQ.jpg

Seems like this is something they could fix, LinusTechTips did mention issues being farther away when they had a chance to play Mario Kart

bread's done
Back