Nintendo Wii U Console Basic Set and Free Nintendo Land Game

[quote name='Marauder7']Waiting for number of units returned from flippers who couldn't sell them for profit. Not seeing anything that makes me want to own a WiiU.[/QUOTE]

I wanted to want one so bad. I had it preordered from the first day you could. But as the release got closer, more and more and more bad things came out about it. The clincher, and the reason I cancelled my preordered on release day was that A: It was a brand new, "next-gen" system whose CPU wasn't even up to snuff with the 360 or PS3, the oldest of which released OVER SEVEN YEARS AGO and B: there was not a single release game I wanted that I could not get a cheaper, better version of on a system I already owned. Who knows if it will be a flop in the long run, but I agree: there is ZERO reason to own one right now.

Wii u 's optical drive is at least 2-3x faster than ps3, so these mandatory installs on ps3 to improve loading speed just won't be necessary on Wii U

[quote name='maximumzero']There's a difference here, though. The Xbox 360 has the ability to install retail games for loading time & audible improvements. The Wii U doesn't have such an option.

So while you may routinely install games to your Xbox 360, you wouldn't be able to do so on the Wii U, so your point is moot.

Now did you mean you routinely purchase Xbox 360 software from the Games on Demand section of the Xbox Live Marketplace? I guess you have a decent argument then. But I can't imagine that you do this if you're a Cheap Ass Gamer frequenter.[/QUOTE]

No, I don't purchase full-blown games from the 360 Games on Demand (in fact I think I've bought none, prices are too high), but I do buy a LOT of XBL games, and many of those are pretty big. I can't imagine having anything less than my 250gb HDD in the 360 due to the amount of content I currently have (would really prefer more actually). I have about 90gb used on my 360 out of 250gb right now.

Now on the PS3, I DO buy full-blown games, because PS+ members get HUGE discounts on full games. And with PS+ they also offer full-blown games for "free" (as long as you stay a PS+ member), and I've downloaded many of those too. A lot of those games are huge, in the 5-15gb range. My 500gb HDD in my PS3 (which I upgraded from a 160gb) is over half used; so I've bought a lot more in terms of content there obviously.

I have been a life long Nintendo fan and will likely always stick around to play the new 3d mario/zelda and some other games.. but the bottom line is Nintendo appears to be aiming at a different crowd again, and thats to put things nicely.

The year is nearly 2013, and the Dreamcast which came out at the begining of the century did online play with a simialr interface to Nintendo's. The original xbox, did it better. The fact that you still can't log into your nintendo online account from any system, the fact that the pro controller doesn't have a mic plug, the fact that Nintendo thinks the Wii U launch titles where "amongst their best ever", the fact that despite achievements having been around for nearly 10 years and they don't have them.. I could go on and on. It's all honestly just hard for me as a gamer to understand, I guess mom, dad, grandma, and grandpa, and your little sister might not care about any of this stuff.. but any actual gamer SHOULD and if they say they don't they are just blindly accepting what Nintendo gives them. And this is with out even getting into the fact that graphically the console will be well behind also.. what happened to the days of the 64 and gamecube pushing the graphics envelope? I don't care how many units the thing sells, in my book as of right now its a pretty big flop (and I bought it day one).

[quote name='mietha']I wanted to want one so bad. I had it preordered from the first day you could. But as the release got closer, more and more and more bad things came out about it. The clincher, and the reason I cancelled my preordered on release day was that A: It was a brand new, "next-gen" system whose CPU wasn't even up to snuff with the 360 or PS3, the oldest of which released OVER SEVEN YEARS AGO and B: there was not a single release game I wanted that I could not get a cheaper, better version of on a system I already owned. Who knows if it will be a flop in the long run, but I agree: there is ZERO reason to own one right now.[/QUOTE]

Well, you can't really say that there's no reason to own one right now, instead you should be saying that there's no reason that you want one right now.

[quote name='maximumzero']The average consumer would much rather plug in a USB Flash Drive or external HDD then have to physically open their console to install a hard drive.

In fact the average consumer probably doesn't even know HOW to access the PS3's HDD bay.[/QUOTE]

Take that a step further: The average consumer would much rather have the hard drive already installed in the console when they purchased it, and not have to mess with plugging in an external HDD to begin with. I agree most wouldn't open their systems to install a drive, but these days people really expect the storage to just be there on day 1, as it is with the 6-7 year old 360 and PS3.

[quote name='chimpmeister']No, I don't purchase full-blown games from the 360 Games on Demand (in fact I think I've bought none, prices are too high), but I do buy a LOT of XBL games, and many of those are pretty big. I can't imagine having anything less than my 250gb HDD in the 360 due to the amount of content I currently have (would really prefer more actually). I have about 90gb used on my 360 out of 250gb right now.

Now on the PS3, I DO buy full-blown games, because PS+ members get HUGE discounts on full games. And with PS+ they also offer full-blown games for "free" (as long as you stay a PS+ member), and I've downloaded many of those too. A lot of those games are huge, in the 5-15gb range. My 500gb HDD in my PS3 (which I upgraded from a 160gb) is over half used; so I've bought a lot more in terms of content there obviously.[/QUOTE]

Here's the digital-only releases so far on the Wii U's eShop.

Chasing Aurora - 103 MB
Little Inferno - 82 MB
Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition - 525 MB
Nano Assault Neo - 81 MB
Trine 2 - 1941 MB

Altogether less than 3GB. If you're not buying retail releases digitally, the Deluxe set's 32GB of internal storage will be good for some time.

Let's put an end to all this off-topic discussion. If you want to discuss the pluses and minuses of the Wii U, do it here:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309784

This thread is for the Best Buy deal for the basic set with Nintendo Land. If you want to discuss the reasons for getting this vs. a Deluxe, or price match issues, that is fine. But please no more discussion of the Wii U itself here.

[quote name='Deader2818']Dude, seriously, this is getting stupid.

This forum is to report DEALS. Not have stupid fan boy debates.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Lets all stop feeding the troll and get back to the deal, which is pretty good but not great.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Take that a step further: The average consumer would much rather have the hard drive already installed in the console when they purchased it, and not have to mess with plugging in an external HDD to begin with. I agree most wouldn't open their systems to install a drive, but these days people really expect the storage to just be there on day 1, as it is with the 6-7 year old 360 and PS3.[/QUOTE]

THe average consumer doesn't give a shit about hard drive size. I have two kids. I bought them a WiiU. They don't give a shit about what is on the hard drive, nor do I. Quit confusing your nerdom for the normal consumer.

[quote name='schuerm26']THe average consumer doesn't give a shit about hard drive size. I have two kids. I bought them a WiiU. They don't give a shit about what is on the hard drive, nor do I. Quit confusing your nerdom for the normal consumer.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. I think cheesemeister is overestimating the average consumer. Arguably the most popular game-playing machine on the market right now is the iPad/iPhone, and both come with piddling amounts of storage space with no option whatsoever to add more.

And that's my last post on the matter, as per io's request.

You are all fine to discuss and disagree (read: argue and debate) the product in question in deal threads. That's common during the early and late stages of a hardware's life span. And it will sometimes help other CAGs to make an informed purchase or persuade them from spending money at that moment.

But the personal insults and trolling stop now.

edit - didn't see io had addressed this already. as he requested no console discussion I will not argue and undermine another mod's authority. so only discuss the deal in this thread.

[quote name='maximumzero']Indeed. I think cheesemeister is overestimating the average consumer. Arguably the most popular game-playing machine on the market right now is the iPad/iPhone, and both come with piddling amounts of storage space with no option whatsoever to add more.

And that's my last post on the matter, as per io's request.[/QUOTE]

I would drop the arguably.

[quote name='guinaevere']
edit - didn't see io had addressed this already. as he requested no console discussion I will not argue and undermine another mod's authority. so only discuss the deal in this thread.[/QUOTE]

Discussion of the hardware itself is fine but needs to go on in a different place once it dominates discussion of the actual deal that the thread is about. If it had been a few posts here it would have been fine. But it has gotten out of hand ;).

There is an outlet for this sort of discussion in the General Wii U discussion thread that I linked earliier. They can take it there if they are so inclined.

[quote name='Serpentor']I regret my Wii U deluxe purchase very much... No achievements/trophies support taken 50% of the fun. Of course, this is JUST MY OPINION, please don't take this personally. The only game I'm playing is Mario Wii U and even that, I just play from point A to B, rushing to get to the final flag point. Those big coins? I only get them if it's in plain sight or easy access... Hidden paths? If I see them I'll get to them... For some strange reasons, PS3/Xbox's trophy/achievement system really conditioned the way I game. It just seems to be more fun with some kind of universal gaming status tracking system...[/QUOTE]

People played games long before achievements/trophies and will play games long after that fad has passed. Beyond that, there were great games before trophies and there will be great games after. If you need a trophy to feel good about playing a game then you are playing for the wrong reasons. All trophies do is show you things you could do by playing more and artificially inflate egos as they have ZERO to do with actual game play.

I hope Nintendo drops the price by at least $50 by next holiday. Probably not going to happen but it would be sweet. $100 price drop would be perfect.

With the amount of content on the Wii U and projected in the near future, it's still way too expensive for me.

[quote name='io']Discussion of the hardware itself is fine but needs to go on in a different place once it dominates discussion of the actual deal that the thread is about. If it had been a few posts here it would have been fine. But it has gotten out of hand ;).

There is an outlet for this sort of discussion in the General Wii U discussion thread that I linked earliier. They can take it there if they are so inclined.[/QUOTE]

Yeah well you can't expect any civil dicussion when the thread starts with a tag that says "flop confirmed."

You mods are doing a bang up job. No really.

This thread is embarassing and it just proves that places like 4chan and NeoGAF have really hurt the gaming community at large. Everyone is an agenda motivated fanboy full of hate for inanimate objects.

Well, we aren't here to supress everything controversial or upsetting to some people. If we do that, we get called Nazis (it has happened many times). So, yeah, I think we're doing an OK job considering. It seems like the off-topic talk has slowed down quite a bit, no? So, yeah, maybe our posts actually had some effect. I didn't see the tag - will take care of that now.

[quote name='io']Discussion of the hardware itself is fine but needs to go on in a different place once it dominates discussion of the actual deal that the thread is about. If it had been a few posts here it would have been fine. But it has gotten out of hand ;).

There is an outlet for this sort of discussion in the General Wii U discussion thread that I linked earliier. They can take it there if they are so inclined.[/QUOTE]
Wouldn't this kind of talk be part of the merits of the deal?

This conversation (yes it's gone overboard) is that the Wii U is failing to gain traction and therefore isn't a great deal now because you'll have no problem finding one later.

I think it's the best Wii U deal so far. I also hope people won't have trouble finding them later and that there are even better deals in the future.

Likely won't be to hard to find, but the Wii U is doing well. Its sold over 1.8 million worldwide over the first 4 weeks.

It makes sense to have a deal on the basic since that's the one retailers aren't moving to well, based soley on the fact that when I go some where, I see like 3-0 of the deluxe but about 5-10 of the basic.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']Wouldn't this kind of talk be part of the merits of the deal?

This conversation (yes it's gone overboard) is that the Wii U is failing to gain traction and therefore isn't a great deal now because you'll have no problem finding one later.[/QUOTE]

Could be - but I didn't see anyone making that point. But beyond the fact that the system is readily available, anything else is just opinion (ie, "failing to gain traction"). Given that the system is not sold out everywhere, though, yes, I'm sure there will continue to be other (perhaps better) deals on it. But that's true of every system except in extreme circumstances (like the original Wii being sold out for over a year). So that really isn't saying anything. I saw one great deal after another on the 360 over the last couple months - does that mean it is failing?

Which brings me back to the why I want the topic to be about this particular deal itself - whether you can return/rebuy your previous Best Buy purchase, price adjust, price match to other stores, etc.

Looks like NeoGAF has infected this thread with its hatred for Nintendo. NeoGAF really needs to get over Vita being a failure. It's time to let it go.

[quote name='Algertman']Looks like NeoGAF has infected this thread with its hatred for Nintendo. NeoGAF really needs to get over Vita being a failure. It's time to let it go.[/QUOTE]
Vita is a failure. Look at the titles on the future release list. It is barren.

Read the first couple of pages of this thread, and I'm pretty sure I see the exact same things every time Nintendo launches a console :p That said, Nintendo Land is actually a lot of fun IMO and if some of the other things the deluxe model come don't matter to you then this isn't a bad pick up, personally I like the digital promotion and I use the console stand and charging base that it came with as well though.

I wouldn't be surprised if Vita and Wii U face an early demise. The Vita actually could have done well if Sony was a bit less greedy and planned more than one quarter ahead, but the Wii U was never a good idea. Releasing a system that is marginally more powerful than PS3 and 360 (at best) with a similar-sounding name when most of the people who saw the Wii as a fad had already left the console was a terrible decision -- especially when there isn't an extensive game lineup. The N64 may have had game droughts, but Nintendo actually let consumers know what was likely to be available for the system in advance and it was actually exciting tech at the time unlike Wii U. With the Wii U, they haven't done this (with a couple minor exceptions). Did some sites such as IGN proclaim doom and gloom for the 3DS? Sure. But several exciting titles were announced in advance. People knew they'd at least be getting a new 3D Mario game, Mario Kart, and Kid Icarus (which may be a niche title, but had a big name behind it) and enhanced versions of some cherished Nintendo games quickly, while it could take a long time for a new 3D Mario game to hit the Wii U.

I bought the deluxe at launch, but if I was buying a Wii U right now I would buy this deal. You can always add more storage later with an external hard drive, and white controllers show less fingerprints. If you don't want Nintendo Land I'm sure it would be easy to sell right now.

Just scored a price match at target.
Their price match policy states they match online competitors.

Got:
8gb wii-u
Nintendoland game
Wii-u stereo headset/microphone(free this week with wii-u purchase)

All for 302.xx(Used red card)

[quote name='bshirk']I wouldn't be surprised if Vita and Wii U face an early demise. The Vita actually could have done well if Sony was a bit less greedy and planned more than one quarter ahead, but the Wii U was never a good idea. Releasing a system that is marginally more powerful than PS3 and 360 (at best) with a similar-sounding name when most of the people who saw the Wii as a fad had already left the console was a terrible decision -- especially when there isn't an extensive game lineup. The N64 may have had game droughts, but Nintendo actually let consumers know what was likely to be available for the system in advance and it was actually exciting tech at the time unlike Wii U. With the Wii U, they haven't done this (with a couple minor exceptions). Did some sites such as IGN proclaim doom and gloom for the 3DS? Sure. But several exciting titles were announced in advance. People knew they'd at least be getting a new 3D Mario game, Mario Kart, and Kid Icarus (which may be a niche title, but had a big name behind it) and enhanced versions of some cherished Nintendo games quickly, while it could take a long time for a new 3D Mario game to hit the Wii U.[/QUOTE]

3d mario and zelda already announced to be in the works for the Wii U.

Wii U sold 1.8 million worldwide the first 4 weeks. Wii Sold 2.07 million in the same time.

System is doing fine worldwide so I doubt it will have an early demise.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='maximumzero']Now you wanna talk flop? Let's talk some Vita.[/QUOTE]
I wasn't sure before, but now I know that you're just a Nintendrone. All you previous arguments are now void due to the ignorance displayed here.

[quote name='Fukurou']I wasn't sure before, but now I know that you're just a Nintendrone. All you previous arguments are now void due to the ignorance displayed here.[/QUOTE]

Vita is massive failure for retailers, for Sony, for consumers. It is ridiculous that people think it can change it's sales for the better.

[quote name='Deader2818']3d mario and zelda already announced to be in the works for the Wii U.

Wii U sold 1.8 million worldwide the first 4 weeks. Wii Sold 2.07 million in the same time.

System is doing fine worldwide so I doubt it will have an early demise.[/QUOTE]

Dont tell that to all the "experts" on here lol.

[quote name='io']Could be - but I didn't see anyone making that point. But beyond the fact that the system is readily available, anything else is just opinion (ie, "failing to gain traction"). Given that the system is not sold out everywhere, though, yes, I'm sure there will continue to be other (perhaps better) deals on it. But that's true of every system except in extreme circumstances (like the original Wii being sold out for over a year). So that really isn't saying anything. I saw one great deal after another on the 360 over the last couple months - does that mean it is failing?

Which brings me back to the why I want the topic to be about this particular deal itself - whether you can return/rebuy your previous Best Buy purchase, price adjust, price match to other stores, etc.[/QUOTE]

This kind of bundle deal a month after launch is extremely atypical. It's quite symptomatic of sales problems and early price drops. If you can't move your products, then try sweeten the pot with something that is of greater value to your consumer than it is for you (in this case, giving away a minigame collection that should have been packed in all along). If that fails then you must lower the cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
MAYBE the basic COULD drop on price. I highly doubt the Deluxe will. There is a reason why only the basic has a package deal going on and not the deluxe.

Love the discussion had to put in my 2 cents. I haven't bought a Wii U yet because the launch didn't impress me. One thing I did notice is the amount of ports on the system. The only two 3rd party developers that even gave it a chance is Ubisoft with Zombie U and Sega with Bayonetta 2. But those aren't AAA titles. To me it doesn't seem like developers are really interested. I'm sure Nintendo will keep it tugging along as they always do with their outstanding 1st party titles. One big question I had is why in the world would you release a next generation system with a 2d side scroller? I know New Super Mario U is a great game but it doesn't belong as a launch title for a Next Generation Console.

The system also seems to be stuck between 2 generations. For example why would you want an 8 or 32 Gig system these days? I mean our phones have more storage than that. I understand the argument "Well you can add an SD card or USB HDD" But why? At $300$/$350 I feel it's a bad value. Why? Because as far as power is concerned it didn't really blow the socks off the PS3 or Xbox 360. So at the end of the day if you were to buy a system the PS3 and 360 are far better values.

But what about the Pad controller? Well obviously developers at the moment don't really care and really neither do I. It's and interesting concept but you can't use multiples so the experience is different for everyone playing, and it doesn't seem that necessary.

In contrast the WII remotes with nunchucks were a compelling and fun new way to play. Plus with Zelda as a launch title I was all in. The Wii also offered Gamecube games running in 480I at a time when the Gamecube component cables were impossible to find and expensive if you found one. WII had many reasons to buy one. The WII U so far doesn't.

As far as the 360 and PS3 launches, Yeah they were lackluster but seemed to offer something compelling like Xbox live, or Blu-Ray playback. But the WII U really doesn't offer anything. It just doesn't have that "Wow" factor. I haven't really enjoyed a console launch since Dreamcast. Now that console Blew everyones minds on Day one with Soul Calibur, Sonic and NFL 2k.

[quote name='Deader2818']MAYBE the basic COULD drop on price. I highly doubt the Deluxe will. There is a reason why only the basic has a package deal going on and not the deluxe.[/QUOTE]

As I pointed out earlier in the thread, this doesn't include the deluxe. For one thing, it sells better. For another thing, it already has the game in it so they aren't going to add it on. Nintendo isn't going to subsidize a promotion that throws in something like Zombie U because that's from Ubisoft. Nintendoland, being Nintendo's game, is easier to lower the price without worrying about another company's cut.

If the Wii U didn't do well this holiday season, I wouldn't be all that surprised to see the price drop happen sometime at the end of March. They have these assets on their balance sheet and they'll want to take the losses related to lowering the prices in the same fiscal year that their poor sales occurred so that they can tell investors that the losses for the quarter/year are over and they're in a stronger position moving ahead. It will make their numbers worse in a year that's already bad for them and make their profits in the following year look better. It's one of the accounting games that company's like to play.

[quote name='Deader2818']MAYBE the basic COULD drop on price. I highly doubt the Deluxe will. There is a reason why only the basic has a package deal going on and not the deluxe.[/QUOTE]

The basic model should have always included the game in my opinion but what the hell do I know. I don't see a drop in the price but maybe include the game in the package from now on.

[quote name='Blaster man']As I pointed out earlier in the thread, this doesn't include the deluxe. For one thing, it sells better. For another thing, it already has the game in it so they aren't going to add it on. Nintendo isn't going to subsidize a promotion that throws in something like Zombie U because that's from Ubisoft. Nintendoland, being Nintendo's game, is easier to lower the price without worrying about another company's cut.

If the Wii U didn't do well this holiday season, I wouldn't be all that surprised to see the price drop happen sometime at the end of March. They have these assets on their balance sheet and they'll want to take the losses related to lowering the prices in the same fiscal year that their poor sales occurred so that they can tell investors that the losses for the quarter/year are over and they're in a stronger position moving ahead. It will make their numbers worse in a year that's already bad for them and make their profits in the following year look better. It's one of the accounting games that company's like to play.[/QUOTE]

Luckily for Nintendo, the Wii U had a good holiday season so no need to worry about any of that stuff.

[quote name='Deader2818']3d mario and zelda already announced to be in the works for the Wii U.

System is doing fine worldwide so I doubt it will have an early demise.[/QUOTE]

Sort of, but nothing has been shown of either (unless you count the Zelda tech demo which they claimed wasn't a game). It's still a really small lineup, and I think they're going to have a hard time winning people over since the Wii U will probably be competing against significantly better hardware in a year without the large audience that supported them last time. I hope it'll be different, but I fear a repeat of the Dreamcast (unless Sony and Microsoft significantly botch their hardware launches).

[quote name='maximumzero']I wish I had four hours a day to play videogames. :cry:

That being said, if the controller breaks, Nintendo will cover it, either under warranty or for a fee. No new console purchase required, you have to be downright silly to think that you'd have to buy a whole new system just to get a new controller.

There aren't really any "touchscreen controls", at least not in the sense that your average tablet game has them. Them there buttons are on the gamepad for a reason.

You can't sell the Wii U without the gamepad, many games integrate the gamepad into the experience, like ZombiU, in a way that they're essentially unplayable without it.[/QUOTE]
You sir have your fingers full of truth xD

[quote name='Oblivieon']Love the discussion had to put in my 2 cents. I haven't bought a Wii U yet because the launch didn't impress me. One thing I did notice is the amount of ports on the system. The only two 3rd party developers that even gave it a chance is Ubisoft with Zombie U and Sega with Bayonetta 2.

As far as the 360 and PS3 launches, Yeah they were lackluster but seemed to offer something compelling like Xbox live, or Blu-Ray playback. But the WII U really doesn't offer anything. It just doesn't have that "Wow" factor. I haven't really enjoyed a console launch since Dreamcast. Now that console Blew everyones minds on Day one with Soul Calibur, Sonic and NFL 2k.[/QUOTE]

Hey, actually THQ is also porting games over. Darksiders 2 was a launch title. EA is porting over Mass Effect as well. I think a lot of company's are trying to port their catalog titles over in hopes of charging full price all over again to Nintendo owners that only owned a Wii (how many gamers that want these ports is that anyway??).

[quote name='skiizim']The basic model should have always included the game in my opinion but what the hell do I know. I don't see a drop in the price but maybe include the game in the package from now on.[/QUOTE]
Since they're now doing the bundles, I think the Basic is on it's way to the grave. They'll probably include the game and lower the price 50 bucks in order to move the inventory out the door then not produce it any more. That's kind of what MS has done when it phases out an older SKU.

Any price drop on the deluxe is going to be based on one of two things.
1. If sales are bad, they'll lower the price.
2. If the next Xbox's price comes in too close to the Wii U's price, they'll lower the price.

I know a lot of people will argue with me on number 2 but it's common sense and standard business practice. If the Xbox 720 is $399.99 and the Wii U is $349.99 then Nintendo is going to lower the price of the Wii U deluxe to 299.99 ($50 price cut) and they'll announce it at the end of October or sometime towards the beginning of November. When a consumer see the price 299.99 and compares it to 399.99, it's a big difference. When you see 349.99 and 399.99...well it's just not that much of a jump to get the console that's launching that holiday season.

[quote name='Deader2818']Luckily for Nintendo, the Wii U had a good holiday season so no need to worry about any of that stuff.[/QUOTE]
A good holiday season would not result in a bundle deal like this. Just a couple weeks ago you could ONLY buy a Wii U deluxe if you bought a bundle (at full price). Now the Deluxe is readily available and they're giving free games with the Basic. I think you're sadly mistaken in terms of the Basic Wii U console. I think it sold poorly. I think the Deluxe did reasonably well..

Edit: The point I'm getting at, if you're even considering buying a Wii U right now, it's better just to wait and see what happens. If you're going to buy the Basic then it makes even more sense to wait. Something's going on with the white Wii U's. The supply channels are bloated or something. They seem to have overestimated demand for that one and produced way more than they needed. Keep in mind, that's the one that was always in stock prior to Christmas at everyone's store's, not the Deluxe.

Im talking overall, not just the Basic console.

Overall, the Wii U did better then ps3 and 360 worldwide at launch. (could say 360 is sewed due to lack of supply)

But yeah, this is a good deal for those why didn't want a black console and don't plan to do much online buying. Getting 10% back on each purchase will add up in the 2 years if you use it alot. The stands arent all that great, and can be bought for 20 i believe.

[quote name='Deader2818']Im talking overall, not just the Basic console.

Overall, the Wii U did better then ps3 and 360 worldwide at launch. (could say 360 is sewed due to lack of supply)

But yeah, this is a good deal for those why didn't want a black console and don't plan to do much online buying. Getting 10% back on each purchase will add up in the 2 years if you use it alot. The stands arent all that great, and can be bought for 20 i believe.[/QUOTE]

Well, I've been hesitant to say exactly how well it's done. I have an opinion as you do but we're going to have to wait a few more weeks. Once the NPD numbers come out, we'll know how many they sold. Obviously they'll have to tell their investors when they do their Q3 conference call as well. Keep in mind that the US is the biggest video game market in the world. Japan is 2nd and the UK is third. Actually the UK passed Japan a while back I think but in a launch like this Japan would still be 2nd.

edit: One last thing, I think it's important to keep in mind that Nintendo can afford to do a price drop if they need to. They have twice as much cash as Sony does (Sony is quickly headed towards bankruptcy - they could be there in a couple years if they don't change the corporate culture) and Reggie said that the Wii U becomes profitable after the first game is sold. Considering that Nintendo gets about $10 per title sold, that means the loss Nintendo is taking per Wii U is less than $10. By the time the Xbox 720 launches, the company is going to be in a position to lower the price without taking much of a hit to their bottom line.

the wii u needed a limited supply or much better games at launch to win over the xbox ps3 generation. nintendo failed at both and has a lot of work to do.

according to this:

http://aussie-gamer.com/news/ninten...lla/discussion/embed/?vanilla_discussion_id=0

it has sold 1.8 million worldwide in 4 weeks.

According to this: http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/41259/Global/

It has sold 1,817,166 through week ending dec 15th (849,068 in the US)

I know people have an opinion on all this and thats fine, but the numbers don't really lie.

I don't really mean to try and derail or anything, but mostly showing some numerical facts that the system is doing well, and this could likely be the best deal we will see on the basic for a while.

[quote name='Platos']the wii u needed a limited supply or much better games at launch to win over the xbox ps3 generation. nintendo failed at both and has a lot of work to do.[/QUOTE]

I...wait, what? How would a limited supply win over fans exactly?

[quote name='bshirk']Sort of, but nothing has been shown of either (unless you count the Zelda tech demo which they claimed wasn't a game). It's still a really small lineup, and I think they're going to have a hard time winning people over since the Wii U will probably be competing against significantly better hardware in a year without the large audience that supported them last time. I hope it'll be different, but I fear a repeat of the Dreamcast (unless Sony and Microsoft significantly botch their hardware launches).[/QUOTE]

It will not be a Dreamcast situation, and that's not up for debate. Sega was essentially bankrupt when the Dreamcast was on the market and they simply couldn't afford to support it. Nintendo has more money than Sega ever did and they'd have to release four or five "flopped" consoles before they got anywhere near to a Dreamcast situation.

bread's done
Back