Noby Noby Boy - Gen. Discussion & Info

The Mana Knight

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
1Up just posted a preview on this game. I've been keeping an eye on this since it was revealed back in 2007:
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3171839
That's the question I heard from four separate co-workers yesterday when they peeked into my office to see what I was playing. It's a valid question. Noby Noby Boy has stages, characters, and objects to interact with, but it's up to the player to decide how to have fun with them, resulting in something closer to a literal "sandbox" than the kind of game that word usually describes.

It's a hard game to explain without sounding silly. Picture a physics playground. You control a pink worm with feet named BOY, and move, eat objects to stretch your stomach, jump to any height you choose, and stretch lengthwise by pulling yourself in opposite directions, without any specific objectives. Then after you stretch BOY for a while, you can "report" how many meters you stretched to GIRL, causing her to stretch as well. But while BOY is a reasonably-sized character with an elastic torso, GIRL is a giant who starts life in Earth's orbit in space, and as everyone playing on PlayStation Network cumulatively reports stretching scores, GIRL grows bit by bit, eventually stretching herself from Earth to The Moon, Mars, Jupiter, etc. (and in the process unlocking these settings for all players).

Don't worry -- I'd think you were lying if you tried to explain it to me, too. But it's that level of weirdness that makes it fun. Noby Noby Boy isn't failing at trying to be normal; it's reveling in being different, much like the previous game from its creator Keita Takahashi, Katamari Damacy. Which puts it in comfortable territory as a downloadable PSN game.

The Way Things Work

As the game begins (this would be after the twitchy parrot shows up in the corner of the screen to signify whether you are online, and before you've stretched long enough to tie yourself into a knot), a yellow fairy that looks like a peanut introduces itself and asks you a series of questions. This quiz serves as the game's tutorial -- each question is about the controls, and you guess each answer by pressing buttons, tilting the camera, etc.

The first time I played, it was at about this point that I realized it was fun to simply move around, which is something I don't tend to notice about games that aren't Super Mario Galaxy or Mirror's Edge. As you may have guessed by looking at the character design, you move the left analog stick to control BOY's head and the right to bring up his rear, and before you stretch yourself out too far, this setup works extremely well -- move the two sticks in the same direction to walk quickly, move them in opposite directions to stretch like chewing gum, and snap the sticks back together to flip around and perform ad hoc stunts.

But if you looked at the screenshots, you probably also noticed that many of them show BOY with what looks like a long multicolored sock in place of his torso. As you pull his two ends away from each other, you can stretch his belly into different lengths, eventually making him so long that his body is more that two times the length of the map itself. This makes him difficult to control since you still just have control over his two ends, and the giant rope in the middle just follows the laws of physics. If you get too long, you can even snap into two parts. It's like Will Wright's metaphor for greed in The Sims -- the more ambitious you get, the harder the game becomes to control.

Fortunately, the game realizes this, so if at any point you fall off the edge or want to reset yourself, you can hold down a button and reappear out of the chimney of a house near the middle of the map. This house also serves as part of the game's interface -- if you want to move to a new map or quit, you enter the front door and select your option from there. Each world -- Earth, The Moon, etc. -- features a variety of map types, with different objects and creatures in them, and they are all randomly generated within these various themes, so on Earth you may come across a dog level, a dice level, or a sports level.

The other unique part of the game's interface is that -- using the game's camera controls -- you can zoom out your view so far that you get a view of the entire planet and GIRL out in the galaxy looking down on you as you play. From there you can see how close GIRL is to reaching the rest of the solar system, and check up on statistics like how much you personally have contributed to her progress, who contributes the most each day, and your rank amongst other players (shown in a marching line with an avatar representing every player in the order of how much they've contributed).

That same camera system also poses a few issues in the preview build I've been playing -- because the game uses the right analog stick for movement, the camera controls are split between button presses that move your view up/down or left/right, and options where you hold down buttons and tilt the PS3 controller in different directions. You end up with all the options you need, but it takes a while to acclimate yourself to all the intricacies. This is less of a problem than it would be if the game featured enemies or challenges you could fail at, and is something that may be improved before release, but it's currently less than ideal.

Finding the Fun

To return to the comment from the beginning of this story, the most common criticism of Noby Noby Boy around the office is that the game doesn't set enough goals for players -- it's less of a game, and more of a playground. Katamari was an unusual mechanic wrapped inside traditional objectives and time limits, while Noby Noby Boy is an unusual mechanic without any of those trappings. But I've been playing the game almost nonstop for the past few days, and have been trying to figure out why I keep playing. And I think it comes down to a feeling that there's always something new to discover.

This isn't a game that tells you everything about itself up front. It gives you a short quiz and then lets you loose. If you want to trip the guy riding his bicycle, or make BOY super long and thread him through buildings or the donut-shaped clouds in the sky, that's up to you. I've had fun seeing how large I could stretch (current record is just over 500 meters) and trying to tie myself into a knot. I've eaten my way through the epilepsy warning, spotted cameos from Mappy and the Prince from Katamari, written messages on the side of BOY, befriended characters so they surf on my back, and recorded video clips (the game has an option so you can send them to YouTube).

That's not to say I wouldn't prefer a few objectives here and there, or perhaps more frequent rewards for messing around and stretching to certain lengths -- and maybe I'll get some of those, since the game is still in development -- but I find the game holding my attention without all of that. I'm not alone either. I haven't figured out if it's despite the structure or because of it, but I've never had as many coworkers stop by to check out what I'm playing as I have with this game.

And that's probably a good sign for Namco Bandai, since they are relying on the community to make this concept work. They're planning a simultaneous worldwide release for early 2009, with the estimate that it will take the group of PSN players 1-2 weeks to stretch GIRL enough to reach The Moon. So those who buy the game the first day it's available will be able to participate in a gradual discovery of the solar system, planet by planet. And those who feel like letting others do the heavy lifting for them can buy it a year down the line and have everything unlocked for them right from the start.
Take a look at the images at 1UP. The game looks really cool and comes from the original Katamari creator. It will be coming to PSN early 2009. I can't wait. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
DO WANT.

I was thinking about selling my 360 and getting another PS3 for Fat Princess and Gomibako but this has pretty much sealed the deal. This game looks amazing and I love the global co-op aspect of it.

Whoever decided to start spelling the name as "Noby" was probably also responsible for the spelling "damacy." Just sayin'.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']very interested even when it was just a tech demo.[/QUOTE]
Your goofy j-pop GIF exceeds the signature limitations by a factor of 30, you know that?

I don't like the idea that community effort will permanently progress the game, and everyone who doesn't have an opportunity to play within the first two weeks of release gets locked out of that. I know that in MMOs and multiplayer shooters the player community is part of the game experience and there's no way around that, but in a game like this there's no reason why all players can't have the same experience whether they buy it on day one or wait a few weeks/months/years.

Interesting experiment maybe, but I guess I prefer the opportunity for a more traditional single player experience where possible, and it doesn't seem like there's any good reason not to offer that here.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']

Your goofy j-pop GIF exceeds the signature limitations by a factor of 30, you know that?[/quote]

true, but you're the first to complain.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I don't like the idea that community effort will permanently progress the game, and everyone who doesn't have an opportunity to play within the first two weeks of release gets locked out of that. I know that in MMOs and multiplayer shooters the player community is part of the game experience and there's no way around that, but in a game like this there's no reason why all players can't have the same experience whether they buy it on day one or wait a few weeks/months/years.

Interesting experiment maybe, but I guess I prefer the opportunity for a more traditional single player experience where possible, and it doesn't seem like there's any good reason not to offer that here.[/quote]
Where did you see that info in the first sentence?

This is what he says at the end of the preview:
So those who buy the game the first day it's available will be able to participate in a gradual discovery of the solar system, planet by planet. And those who feel like letting others do the heavy lifting for them can buy it a year down the line and have everything unlocked for them right from the start.
It doesn't seem like you're penalized at all by not being in the initial wave of buyers. You just don't get the experience of watching Girl grow and seeing new places be unlocked.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It doesn't seem like you're penalized at all by not being in the initial wave of buyers. You just don't get the experience of watching Girl grow and seeing new places be unlocked.[/quote]
It would be like a fighting game with all the hidden characters already unlocked, or a Metroid game where you started with all of the weapons, or something. I guess it's debatable whether that would be considered a penalty, but if that progress is part of the game experience, I'd prefer the chance to do it myself rather than have it all unlocked for me, in the likely event that I won't play this game until years from now. That's just my take on it.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']It would be like a fighting game with all the hidden characters already unlocked, or a Metroid game where you started with all of the weapons, or something. I guess it's debatable whether that would be considered a penalty, but if that progress is part of the game experience, I'd prefer the chance to do it myself rather than have it all unlocked for me, in the likely event that I won't play this game until years from now. That's just my take on it.[/QUOTE]There are some games on PSN which aren't about the single player experience.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']There are some games on PSN which aren't about the single player experience.[/quote]
Fair enough. Again, I do think it's an interesting experiment to take characteristics normally associated with persistent-world MMOs and integrate them into (what sounds like) a more conventional single-player oriented game.

I really like the whole community effort this game will be working with. I do think that people who buy it later on will be missing out on some of the fun but that's just a side effect of what they're trying to do. As long as the game mechanics can stand by themselves I don't think that will really be a negative. Now if 80% of the fun comes from contributing and competing to grow GIRL then I think the experiment is a failure.

That being said I'll be buying this as soon as it comes out. For how closed minded and behind the ball Sony can be when it comes to things like DRM and imo Home I'm very impressed with the amount of diversity they allow and cultivate(?) on the PSN.

[quote name='fnord']That being said I'll be buying this as soon as it comes out. For how closed minded and behind the ball Sony can be when it comes to things like DRM and imo Home I'm very impressed with the amount of diversity they allow and cultivate(?) on the PSN.[/quote]
Well, that's how Sony has been since PSX.

They've always had this thing for opening up games and trying new things. Many of which didn't make out of Japan, but some have slid by.

From classic stuff like Parappa, to PSP with Loco Roco and Patapon.

I love PSN. Just so unique, doesn't usually feel cookie cutter. Glad they've kept it open.

[quote name='dallow']Well, that's how Sony has been since PSX.

They've always had this thing for opening up games and trying new things. Many of which didn't make out of Japan, but some have slid by.

From classic stuff like Parappa, to PSP with Loco Roco and Patapon.

I love PSN. Just so unique, doesn't usually feel cookie cutter. Glad they've kept it open.[/QUOTE]I definitely agree. :D

There are some Gameplay videos at 1UP. They are currently missing the music, but you all can get the idea. :)

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/23023
http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/23024
http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/23025

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/02/13/noby-noby-boy-is/
It may sound strange that I, creator of this game, have had a hard time trying to describe the type of game Noby Noby Boy (releasing on PSN this Thursday, February 19) is. Since the beginning of its development, I still haven’t been able to give a clear answer when asked, but allow me to try again…

Basically players can control and stretch Boy, the main character of the game. As players stretch Boy, the lengths to which he grows are uploaded to a persistent character known as Girl, who grows at the same rate as the combined length of all the players in the world. Girl starts at Earth and expands around the solar system. When Girl reaches a new milestone in the solar system, new areas are unlocked as playable stages for everyone around the world.

Well, that’s the best that I can do to explain the game, but I know people will still go, “Hmm…”

How come it’s hard to explain, you ask? It’s because I wanted to make a game that cannot be expressed by words in the first place. By making an undefined and ambitious game, I want the player’s reaction to be something like, “I don’t know why, but it’s somehow interesting. I can’t stop playing.” In that way, I would feel I have succeeded at creating what I wanted, that is, creating something that’s not easily describable. Anyway, it’s been a fun experience working on Noby Noby Boy.

One big question most people have asked is, “Why did you want to make such a game?” Seriously, I don’t know. When I figure it out, I’ll share it on this blog. In the meantime, please take a moment to watch this video.

As I mentioned earlier, this game is indescribable, and some people may say, “This isn’t a game!” But, what is a game? Should there be a definition for a game? That’s the way I feel.

I can't wait for this next week. I'm definitely buying and hope everyone else does. ;)

[quote name='cochesecochese']Yes, this is a D1 purchase for me. When the release date dropped for this I scrambled like hell to scrounge up enough money to buy my PS3.[/quote]

A buddy of mine bought a PS3 because of Monsters. I'm really looking forward to this and thinking of putting up a site to track the game as it grows.

$5, eh? Perfect, as I have $6 and change left over on my account (from a PSN card I got with cheap BBV credit) after buying Flower.

[quote name='io']$5, eh? Perfect, as I have $6 and change left over on my account (from a PSN card I got with cheap BBV credit) after buying Flower.[/quote]

I'm thinking ur kids will either have fun with it as well or just be weirded out.

[quote name='luis_see_me']I don't know why I want this game[/quote]

I'm wondering if it should even be called a game, but that's not going to stop me from getting it day one and trying it out. There's something about new ideas like this that I find irresistible, especially when the barrier to entry is just $5.

New interview with the designer over at Eurogamer.

Of interest he announces that there will be DLC released 2 months after the game comes out and depending on how well it sells there could be more.

An interesting new feature was mentioned on the PS blog:

With Noby Noby Boy, you can send a message to other players while playing without going to the XMB, and the received messages are displayed on the body of Boy. Checking the game spec, I sent a message requesting approval to add a friend and my request was accepted instantly, and I received a message. Below is an image of the message shown on Boy’s body.

Surprise! It says, “welcome to paradise.” It’s such a worn-out cliché, but I like it! Exchanging messages with people via online games has become nothing special, while I don’t play games much, let alone online, receiving this message really delighted me. It was even somewhat impressive because I didn’t expect it and of course it proved that the messaging function was working.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/02/18/noby-noby-boy-coming-tomorrow-on-psn/

LOL, that is pretty awesome... As silly as it sounds, now I'm going look forward to receiving messages just to read them on Boy's body. :]

really looking forward to this... I'm overloaded with good gaming this week...

SFIV, Lost and Damnd, and this. Beats the shit out of 2008 holiday releases. I love the early year.

With Noby Noby Boy, you can send a message to other players while playing without going to the XMB, and the received messages are displayed on the body of Boy.

:rofl: I love how sending an in game message is a feature.

Digs aside, this game looks unique, but it's priced right. I'll probably DL it tonight. Might pick up Flower at the same time.

bread's done
Back