NOW LIVE DC Universe Online (PS3/PC) Free to download and FREE-TO-PLAY

FerDK

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Finally. I was waiting for this...

That’s right, DC Universe Online will soon be free to download from the PlayStation Store, and free-to-play with no monthly fees required.

About DCUO, click here.

DCUO New Gameplan, click here.

FREE TO PLAY FAQ, click here.

PSN Blog announcement, click here.

Mods, please do not move this thread to the free stuff section.
This is a great deal with a 100% discount!!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='WV Matsui']Does this install in the background or is it more like an install?[/QUOTE]

It installs ingame, you cant XMB or anything either

After d/ling the installer and started it up it started downloading the game which is 14.5gb on PS3. Not sure if there is more data to be downloaded after this gets done though. Time to find something to do for a few hours. Movie+Sons of Anarchy should do the trick lol

[quote name='Lucian']Supposedly the discs are worthless now that it is F2P. I read that all users need to d/l to play now. Based on the install size, I don't think the disc was really used for anything before anyway.[/QUOTE]

Well it will be cool if I can get a hold of the CE for less than 20.

[quote name='FerDK']^ I received it as a gift on Jan 2011 and my game is still sealed sitting on my shelf LOL[/QUOTE]

Lol

[quote name='Greatwhitecoley']So about 50% done in an 1 hour 40 minutes. Not to bad.[/QUOTE]

I'm up to 90% in the same amount of time, super excited because I've wanted to try this for awhile.

So wait, I own the game, I still need to download the full game to play F2P? Bought the collectors edition a couple of months ago for $30 bucks.

5% in 10 minutes. Gotta hope that it speeds up. Hopefully they're using a torrent like model for sending the files around.

so exciting! 47% after 2 hours. Glad its not going to be a 14 hour DL horror story..gotta love the new slim models, not hot at all, if it were my 'ol 60gb phat, I could've probably fry an egg on the top of it by now.

How long does setting up your character take? I may not want to start anything tonight if they process is lengthy..

[quote name='fishface45']So wait, I own the game, I still need to download the full game to play F2P? Bought the collectors edition a couple of months ago for $30 bucks.[/QUOTE]

From my experience...
With the Ps3 disc there is an installation of aprox 11 GB and it took me 40 minutes. Then you have to download the rest (8 GB aprox with patches and everything) and with my 2mb internet it took around 7 hours.

Well, i'm definitely confused. I popped my disc in and it downloaded ~2 gb of updates then told me all of the servers are down. So maybe I still will be able to use my disc?

The game went free today but its looking like we won't be able to play til tomorrow. You think they would have done the service before today but why do the thing that makes sense XD .

Odd question, but mine is at 50% and has 2 hours left. If I stop and shut down will I have to start the DL again tomorrow? I'm not a fan of leaving the console on all night while I sleep.

[quote name='spacebooger']Odd question, but mine is at 50% and has 2 hours left. If I stop and shut down will I have to start the DL again tomorrow? I'm not a fan of leaving the console on all night while I sleep.[/QUOTE]

Almost positive you can pick up where you left off downloading.

[quote name='spacebooger']Odd question, but mine is at 50% and has 2 hours left. If I stop and shut down will I have to start the DL again tomorrow? I'm not a fan of leaving the console on all night while I sleep.[/QUOTE]

You can have the PS3 shut off immediately after finishing all downloads, that's usually what I do when I'm DLing a lot right before bedtime. I didn't even know you could do this until fairly recently.

Set everything to download in the background, then on the XMB, go all the to the left to "turn off system". A prompt should come up with a checkbox that says something along the lines of "turn system off after background downloads finish" - check that and then confirm the shut down.

If you want to exit the download utility you can. It will verify what you've downloaded so far and resume from where you left off.

Sweet, it's up (pc version at least) ... and somehow my account is Premium when I only used 1 trial from subway and received another free month after the Sony hacking fiasco ... awesome!

[quote name='beard_of_zeus']You can have the PS3 shut off immediately after finishing all downloads, that's usually what I do when I'm DLing a lot right before bedtime. I didn't even know you could do this until fairly recently.

Set everything to download in the background, then on the XMB, go all the to the left to "turn off system". A prompt should come up with a checkbox that says something along the lines of "turn system off after background downloads finish" - check that and then confirm the shut down.[/QUOTE]

Software updates cannot be downloaded in the background.

More good news ... if anyone remembers those pre-order cardboard cases that places like Frys were pennying out ... they work on all accounts when you enter the code. It gives you the scarecrow screamer exclusive weapon and you can play as batman in an exclusive battle arena ... so hope you guys didn't throw those out ... could be worth something to someone.

[quote name='apollosrequiem']Software updates cannot be downloaded in the background.[/QUOTE]

Is the client download for this game akin to a software update in that it can't be DLed in the background? Sorry, didn't know that.

Don't worry, if you shut down your Ps3, or interrupt the download, it will resume where it was left off.

Just to update, from their own website, if you have the retail disc you don't have re download it. And I have a question. If you have a 30 trial from the disc can you use the code you get from subway for 30 more days?

[quote name='ClevelandBrowns']I need to clear 5.5 gbs, hmmm... I'm not sure if it is worth it.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it is...I see why its free now. No way I wouldve paid retail for this

[quote name='xenozfan2']Just to update, from their own website, if you have the retail disc you don't have re download it. And I have a question. If you have a 30 trial from the disc can you use the code you get from subway for 30 more days?[/QUOTE]

Huh? U3?

[quote name='kingsnuff']I don't think it is...I see why its free now. No way I wouldve paid retail for this

Huh? U3?[/QUOTE]

It was but after the game came out it was switched to 30 days of dc universe.

sweet but crap to 14G for PC, and 10G for PS3, need to do some cleaning, then about a 1/2 of downloading, but will try thnx.

downloaded it got in to game i cant see the toon during creation.. and in game i can only see the HUD, Cross-hairs dmg numbers and just about anything BUT the environment myself and baddies any one able to shed some light

[quote name='digitalplague']downloaded it got in to game i cant see the toon during creation.. and in game i can only see the HUD, Cross-hairs dmg numbers and just about anything BUT the environment myself and baddies any one able to shed some light[/QUOTE]

Use better punctuation, not sure what your asking

[quote name='matthewhsh2002']at 12% after 3 hours... I give up[/QUOTE]

Of course speeds will be slow. LOTS of people are downloading it now.

Anyhow, I just got back home and saw I got an error and it stopped downloading. Left it on for about 7 hours all for nothing. At least I don't need to (hopefully) redownload the first 2gb it downloaded. I'm going to be pissed if I finished downloading all 14gb + updates just to find out the whole thing is corrupted due to that error.

Half way done downloading on my PC after about 2 hours. With Uncharted 3 and BF3 I'm not sure I'm going to have much time for this anyways, but free is free.

[quote name='ClevelandBrowns']Half way done downloading on my PC after about 2 hours. [/QUOTE]

Same here, but I'm on the PS3. I'm surprised considering that I usually get slow download speeds from PSN.

This is perfect to tide me over until Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 is released in 2 weeks.:)

Can someone confirm if you can stop the download and come back to it later or will it restart from the beginning if you do that?

I was a subscriber for 3 months or so. It's a solid game, just not 15 dollars a month solid. I had 4 max level characters, pretty geared. Anyway, I'm gonna be playing again, already started. Not sure how much though, probably very casually.

My main character is Tranquility_TKJ if anyone wants to hit me up. I also have Clarity_TKJ and Ferocity_TKJ.

bread's done
Back