OBJECTION! New Ace Attorney game! Play as... EDGEWORTH!

I just finished it as well. Thoughts:

Case 1-3 were boring as hell. The game started to pick up for me halfway through Case 4 and then it just opened up and got really addicting from then on. I literally fell asleep quite a few times during cases 1-3.

Case 5 was pretty epic... and pretty long. I wish it had that Apollo Justice thing where they would replay the whole thing from beginning to end, because I had a hard time visualizing everything and where everyone's motives kicked in and how it all related, my timeline is all scrambled.
The last part was really good, because you kept thinking you had Alba but you never really did, although there was a little deux ex machina with the stupid hot dog box.

It did feel like child's play though, in terms of gameplay. Most of the Logic was really easy to connect and there wasn't really a lot of investigation you had to do, it definitely did feel like the game held your hand and felt like it was more "on rails" than other AA games.

The music was awesome. I already downloaded the soundtrack =) I'm happy given that I really really really hated AJ's music, it felt so unnatural. It sounded a lot better with my headphones than with the tinny DS lite speakers too.

I liked a lot of the one-liners. The one that sticks with me is "I'll get Yew if it's the last thing I ever do." =) There's also "Extraterrestrial rights? Sir, do you really think the truth is out there?"

[quote name='joemartinez1234']did everyone get a funky resealed looking game? all the gs around me dont have a pretty yfold seal. is that normal?[/QUOTE]

Yup. My copy is from Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='detectiveconan16']Just got my copy, gotta wait to play it long back log.[/QUOTE]

It should go to the top of your list, unless you haven't finished the other 4 in the series, then those should go to the front.

There are only two gaming series that I will acknowledge I am a 'fanboy' of and this series happens to be one of them. I can safely say to anyone that is on the fence with dropping $30 on this game, if you are a fanboy of the series, this 'new' direction the series takes still provides the same level of quality and enjoyment you would expect to find from the main series. I hope to see them continue this side series along with continuing the main one as well.

Finished the 1st case this morning, and I believe I'm somewhere towards the middle of the second case. Although I enjoy returning to this game format, I find Miles Edgeworth perhaps not as deserving of a full game as I had heretofore thought. In the Phoenix Wright games, I came to be endeared with Edgeworth when his character broke out of his static character mold and came to be a fellow with conscience. There is such a dryness of character from Edgeworth that I rely on the other characters involved in the game to keep me interested.

Calisto Yew is the worst character in the entire series. She is more annoying than all the other characters combined. Oldbag has nothing on this stupid bitch.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Calisto Yew is the worst character in the entire series. She is more annoying than all the other characters combined. Oldbag has nothing on this stupid bitch.[/QUOTE]

21dljzs.gif

She's annoying, that's for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm on Case 5 now myself. Case 1 was a decent beginning and made me have high hopes for the rest of the game. Case 2 was by far my favorite. Great characters, great setting, awesome reveal of how the victim was killed and it kept you guessing on who the killer was. 3 was kind of annoying because who really gives a shit about some
spoiled little brat kidnapping himself and that Great Thief shit was horrible
, though the cameos and the introduction of Kay saved it from being a total waste. 4 was fun to see all the characters younger, and Detective Badd was great, but Calisto Yew singlehandedly ruined what should have been an awesome case. She is really THAT bad, and I am not exaggerating. I just started Case 5 and
we all know Calisto Yew is going to be back and if she fucks up yet another case I'm going to be royally pissed off.
I hope Case 5 is better than 3 and 4. The thing is, all of the cases had a lot of great things involved to make them all great, but certain things in 3 and 4 really ruined them for me.

So far:
3>1>this>>>>poop>>>>>2 (haven't played Apollo)

[quote name='utopianmachine']Ace Attorney Investigations feels like your mama's Phoenix Wright. It practically holds your hand through the gameplay.[/QUOTE]

This. You have to finish each room before you move on, not like the old ones where you would have multiple places to go to at the same time. It is much easier.

I am having a hard time continuing :drool: in the middle of the the third case.

But nothing's more annoying in a PW game where you have to go back to every single location because you forgot to examine one small thing.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Then don't even try 4 or 5.[/QUOTE]

I don't care about length if the cases are interesting. Case 3 was just really dull. I'm only a little into case 4, but it definitely seems more interesting.

From what I'm reading on these forums, case 3 is generally regarded as a bit sucky in comparison to the others.

i thought cases 1-3 sucked. case 4 is good, then case 5 is epic.

i like calisto yew because i hate her. and at first i laughed too when you realize how stupid edgeworth sounded, haha

[quote name='utopianmachine']I don't care about length if the cases are interesting. Case 3 was just really dull. I'm only a little into case 4, but it definitely seems more interesting.

From what I'm reading on these forums, case 3 is generally regarded as a bit sucky in comparison to the others.[/QUOTE]
Yeah Case 3 is the worst. Followed closely by 4 because Calisto Yew is such a cunt. I finished it last night. I think 5 ran a bit too long. The villain's schtick got a little old, though at least the villain wasn't incredibly annoying like Yew. Case 2 is still by far my favorite.

I'm enjoying case 4 so far. Aside from the annoying interactions with Yew, I love
the little Kay
. Also, when Detective Badd went to pull his cigarette out of his mouth and
out came a lollipop instead
, I laughed out loud. :)

Case 4 rocked. It was actually challenging at times to know the direction I was being directed, and exposing the criminal at the end was very satisfying.

Oh man, it felt like I was playing a Phoenix Wright game. How I wish all the cases in Ace Attorney Investigations were this good.

I've gotta finish the game up to secure the bonus points Goozex is offering. If I can trade it soon, I'll get the equivelant of $45 in points for this one!

[quote name='kainzero']I liked a lot of the one-liners. The one that sticks with me is "I'll get Yew if it's the last thing I ever do." =) There's also "Extraterrestrial rights? Sir, do you really think the truth is out there?"[/QUOTE]

Those stood out to me too. The writing is just so top-notch! :applause:

I'm in the middle of case 5. I laughed out loud when the
Pink Princess took off her costume to reveal Wendy Oldbag beneath
! So epic!

i really wanted to love this game but i cant
it feels like phoenix wright 4 with an unlockable edgeworth skin
i really wanted to be in court and send some fools to jail within 3 minutes the von karma way
oh wellz

Finally finished the final case this evening. There were some evidence threads that I couldn't follow in the final chapter, and I actually ended up looking a few things up on GameFAQs.

I believe my final impression is a bit underwhelmed. My favorite cases are the 2nd, 4th, and 5th. The 5th case really had a lot of great scenes and a good number of chuckles packed in, but like someone said before me, it took way too long to bring down the murderer. The game just seemed to streeeeeeeeeeeeeetch at that point.

Worth playing if you're a fan of the Phoenix Wright games. For fans just wanting to get into the series, I would just start at the beginning.

I was able to get through the entire game without using a FAQ, but their definitely were some evidence points that I just had to guess many times to get. Prob a total of 4 spots maybe. 2nd and 4th case were the best.

Terrible last boss though.

really wanted to be a bad ass prosecutor making phoenix wright look dumb
too bad it was a pw game with a edgeworth costume on
cant wait for the next one though

[quote name='henrygonzalez']really wanted to be a bad ass prosecutor making phoenix wright look dumb[/QUOTE]
ehhh

apollo justice made phoenix wright look dumb

Finally finished this last night, didn't really care for any case except the last. The last took a bit to get going, but it was very good.
wasn't expecting Shih-na to be Castillo Yew

Now I have a long wait for the next game; assuming there will be another Ace Attorney game.

Just finished Ace Attorney Investigations a few days ago. I loved it, especially Kay Faraday :). She's so awesome haha. The game was a bit on the easy side IMO, I didn't have to blatantly guess like the other Ace Attorney games. Maybe it's cause I got better from the previous ones :p.

Alba was annoying as hell. He wouldn't just accept defeat like most of the other criminals haha. The piece of evidence in the locker room with the blood on the box dissapointed me. What are the odds blood would be on the box, and that Oldbag would end up picking up the box -.-. I was also sad there was no appearance of Phoenix Wright, and his name wasn't mentioned once. I wonder why.

Definitely looking forward to the next Ace Attorney game, be it Phoenix Wright, Apollo Justice, or Miles Edgeworth! I Just hope Kay Faraday returns :D

And this is a neat site with fan made cases:
http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/

[quote name='namster1337']Just finished Ace Attorney Investigations a few days ago. I loved it, especially Kay Faraday :). She's so awesome haha. The game was a bit on the easy side IMO, I didn't have to blatantly guess like the other Ace Attorney games. Maybe it's cause I got better from the previous ones :p.

I was also sad there was no appearance of Phoenix Wright, and his name wasn't mentioned once. I wonder why.

Definitely looking forward to the next Ace Attorney game, be it Phoenix Wright, Apollo Justice, or Miles Edgeworth! I Just hope Kay Faraday returns :D

And this is a neat site with fan made cases:
http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/[/QUOTE]

Kay Farady was a big help to the game. Without her, the game would have fallen far flatter than it already did. Everyone here agrees this game is easier. The Logic inclusion was so simplified, which is why at some point I referred to this game as "your mama's Phoenix Wright."

I will certainly still be interested in future sequels of this series, but I feel like we may have already enjoyed it's glory days. I'm just not sure anything can live up to the greatness that was the three Phoenix Wright games.

As for the comment in your spoiler,
I too was surprised that they never mentioned Phoenix's name. They referred to him several times throughout the game, but I wonder also why they never said his name outright. I can't imagine any copywright issues. Maybe they just never wanted the player to get sidetracked, to simply understand that this is Miles Edgeworth's game, and that Phoenix plays little part in it.

Thanks for the link to that fan site. I'll definitely look into it.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Kay Farady was a big help to the game. Without her, the game would have fallen far flatter than it already did. Everyone here agrees this game is easier. The Logic inclusion was so simplified, which is why at some point I referred to this game as "your mama's Phoenix Wright."

I will certainly still be interested in future sequels of this series, but I feel like we may have already enjoyed it's glory days. I'm just not sure anything can live up to the greatness that was the three Phoenix Wright games.

As for the comment in your spoiler,
I too was surprised that they never mentioned Phoenix's name. They referred to him several times throughout the game, but I wonder also why they never said his name outright. I can't imagine any copywright issues. Maybe they just never wanted the player to get sidetracked, to simply understand that this is Miles Edgeworth's game, and that Phoenix plays little part in it.

Thanks for the link to that fan site. I'll definitely look into it.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't mind a sequel for Apollo Justice. But honestly, i'm looking forward to any sequel that comes out for the Ace Attorney series.

Just finished this.

Liked it a good bit. Kinda getting tired of the "every girl assistant is the same" motif. They're all Maya in different clothes (especially with the running gag of step ladders sneaking into this game). Last case had a lot of good moments in it, even if the pacing felt a bit off.

The one thing this game really says to me is that Capcom needs to make a fighting game with all the Ace Attorney characters. There's so many face-offs in this game, with two characters lining up side by side, and staring down other people on the other side of the room. It's like the opening animation in a Marvel vs. Capcom match, with the face portraits moving toward each other in confrontation.

You know you want it. You know my idea is awesome.

I actually just finished this too. Wasn't too surprised when I found that Shu Takami didn't work on it - it just felt a little off. This was the AA game that I got stuck the least in, and followed the logic the most, which was very nice. Thank god we got out of that courtroom.

I think my favorite comedy moment was toward the end of case 5 when
Larry and Oldbag burst into the room after you've already grilled Alba for a while, and Edgeworth points at them immediately and screams GO AWAY

[quote name='Strell']
The one thing this game really says to me is that Capcom needs to make a fighting game with all the Ace Attorney characters. There's so many face-offs in this game, with two characters lining up side by side, and staring down other people on the other side of the room. It's like the opening animation in a Marvel vs. Capcom match, with the face portraits moving toward each other in confrontation.

You know you want it. You know my idea is awesome.[/QUOTE]

Playing the first PW reminded me more of the supermoves in MvC. I'm sure it was intentional.

bread's done
Back