Offical Heavenly Sword Thread (Current GStat av score = 8.0)

The QTE segment inputs need just a tiny bit more time to push the button though.

Also, I could do without the platforming. If I wanted a platformer I'd play Ratchet and Clank. I mean, think of God of War, one of the things people hated the most were all the insta-death platforming elements. It just seemed so wrong, not to mention frustrating, that a guy (or in this case a girl) with the power of a god has trouble walking along a narrow beam or jumping from one place to another.

I do, however, agree that there could be another game mechanic in there. Perhaps some other puzzle mechanic to break up the fights that doesn't involve throwing shields. Or some other combat type.

[quote name='Vanigan']The QTE segment inputs need just a tiny bit more time to push the button though.

Also, I could do without the platforming. If I wanted a platformer I'd play Ratchet and Clank. I mean, think of God of War, one of the things people hated the most were all the insta-death platforming elements. It just seemed so wrong, not to mention frustrating, that a guy (or in this case a girl) with the power of a god has trouble walking along a narrow beam or jumping from one place to another.

I do, however, agree that there could be another game mechanic in there. Perhaps some other puzzle mechanic to break up the fights that doesn't involve throwing shields. Or some other combat type.[/quote]Now that you mention it, I did hate the insta-death platforming parts of GoW. The puzzle solving elements need to be beefed up. And by that I don't mean having to ricochet a helmet discuss off of three or four gongs. They've got such an intricately detailed world and characters that it's a bit jarring to have really dull puzzles.

And more Kai shooting. The part where she
has to save Shen on the bridge
was hella fun. A very enjoyable fish in the barrel situation.

And I suppose that's the problem. The QTE segments don't work for long stretches of gameplay.

Especially if the button press timings are so short. If you have to focus on the button press area that intensely to make sure you don't miss a button press, you actually miss out on the cool animations and fight scenes.

For QTE segments, I'd actually prefer a rythmic series of button presses as opposed to single presses. These rythms appear well ahead of the actual action that'll be performed, you just press the buttons through the segment, and how well you do determines the outcome of the animation. This way, a player can both feel like he's participating in these QTE segments, but still be able to watch the fight unfold.

[quote name='dserafin1986']I think developers need to realize that not every gamer has 40-50 hours to spend on a game...This is a must buy for those getting a PS3 in the next month, imo.[/QUOTE]

I can't argue with that, but I can argue that a 6 hour game is a joke, which is on the opposite side of your 50 hour exaggeration. That's $10 an hour.

The game is a must own title, but not at $10 an hour.

the quality of this game ALONE is worth the money.

i mean seriously, this game is a LOT better than a lot of the crap that gets put out there for the same price. if it was longer ppl would still complain about something. ppl would be like "oh 10 hours is too short" etc etc. -_-

I got the game for $46 so i can't complaint, it's a great game for that price, period! I mean, i got GoW2 for $40... so $6 more is pretty good.

I agree with the button pressing thing missing out the movie... There were a number of time i "game overed" on purpose just to watch the movie.

Just beat the first boss
flying fox), oh boy, he's gay...
, love the game so far... i'm taking my time enjoy it rather than focusing on beating it. The artwork is gorgeous, can't wait to unlock all of the pictures!

[quote name='Serpentor']I got the game for $46 so i can't complaint, it's a great game for that price, period! I mean, i got GoW2 for $40... so $6 more is pretty good.

I agree with the button pressing thing missing out the movie... There were a number of time i "game overed" on purpose just to watch the movie.

Just beat the first boss
flying fox), oh boy, he's gay...
, love the game so far... i'm taking my time enjoy it rather than focusing on beating it. The artwork is gorgeous, can't wait to unlock all of the pictures![/quote]

You got to like
Flying Fox
, I didn't care for him at first either but the further I got into the game I really started to like him and his character.

Just wait for the later cutscenes, I kinda found all the characters likeable/entertaining in some way, despite whether they were baddies or good gals/guys

[quote name='Serpentor']You serious S Assassin? i take your word for it... let see he's likable :)[/quote]

Yeah man, I didn't like him at first either. I felt the same way as you, and thought damn he is annoying. The further I got into the game though and knew his back story and the reason why he is there I actually started to like him. Until however a certain scene occurred with him in it and had me furious. Ha ha you'll know the scene once you get to it. Anyway I like all the characters in some way, just give FF a chance you'll see he becomes quiet entertaining in the cut scenes, especially with Bohan....

Now that had Ssstttyyyllleeeee.

:rofl:

Just beat the game on hell mode, I have now played through the game three times. I may play through it one more time, and then put her on my shelf. I also have unlocked all 129 glyphs on both difficulties. That took awhile since I had to keep re-trying a couple stages.

I just started playing it with surround sound...and Whoa O_O

The game even had to install additional files after I changed my audio setup, so I guess it was optimized for this kind of cinematic experience, no surprise there :D

Right now I'm at the arena in Hell Mode, trying to keep the clan members alive, but it's taking me a couple of retries to do it while getting all the glyphs :/

Embarassingly, I only just realized the pots I've been breaking are for health. I thought they went into the scoring system at the end of levels. This was after countless deaths against a particular boss when I only had a sliver of her health left to go. Don't I feel silly.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Embarassingly, I only just realized the pots I've been breaking are for health. I thought they went into the scoring system at the end of levels. This was after countless deaths against a particular boss when I only had a sliver of her health left to go. Don't I feel silly.[/quote]
Actually, they're both a health pot and part of the glyph score.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']I just started playing it with surround sound...and Whoa O_O

The game even had to install additional files after I changed my audio setup, so I guess it was optimized for this kind of cinematic experience, no surprise there :D

Right now I'm at the arena in Hell Mode, trying to keep the clan members alive, but it's taking me a couple of retries to do it while getting all the glyphs :/[/quote]

Yeah, I had to do that stage three times until I learned the pattern. Feels good having all the glyphs unlocked on both difficulties. Now I can just sit back and enjoy the game. :lol: First game I have completed 100% in I don't know how long.

[quote name='Silent Assassin120']Yeah, I had to do that stage three times until I learned the pattern. Feels good having all the glyphs unlocked on both difficulties. Now I can just sit back and enjoy the game. :lol: First game I have completed 100% in I don't know how long.[/quote]
Well, you gotta say, it's not too hard to get 100% completion in this game :p

The last two games (and probably the ONLY two) I have ever complete 100% is Crash Bandicoot:Warped and Metroid:Zero Mission.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Well, you gotta say, it's not too hard to get 100% completion in this game :p

The last two games (and probably the ONLY two) I have ever complete 100% is Crash Bandicoot:Warped and Metroid:Zero Mission.[/quote]
True, but considering most people didn't even bother to replay it at all should say something.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Actually, they're both a health pot and part of the glyph score.[/quote]I started ignoring them on a particular boss stage so my ignorance led to some frustrating moments, just trying to get through the story. I was wondering how in the hell I was gonna make it through that stage. I was coming up just a few more hits short of moving on.

Is this worth getting a Ps3 for? I have heard so many good things about this game and it is driving me nuts not owning a PS3 to play this.

I might bite at this and the Ps3 at the $400 price point.

[quote name='ivanctorres']Is this worth getting a Ps3 for? I have heard so many good things about this game and it is driving me nuts not owning a PS3 to play this.

I might bite at this and the Ps3 at the $400 price point.[/quote]

As much as I love the game I have to say no. Also you should never buy a console for one game. Look at everything it has to offer and then decide. Though the PS3 will have great games coming out later this year and 08 for sure. I say you should own a PS3 but don't buy one just for one game. If I was you I'd wait till Xmas or so to pick a PS3 up. Then you should have a few decent games to play on it. (Uncharted, R&C, Haze, Resistance, Heavenly Sword, ect)

If you want a well crafted story and superb presentation, then pick this game up. The action itself is fairly derivative, but in small spurts, I'm loving this game. My gaming time is very limited so it's nice to be able to put something in that's well paced and has a wonderful story. The Kai levels are proving to be my favorite thus far, but I think it takes some getting used to the controls with her.

Loved that interaction when she was trying to get into the armory. The password she tried to make up was so adorable.

Edit: I know this isn't popular opinion, but this game is fucking awesome. Listen to the current (as of this edit) 1up Yours Podcast and they have an amusing argument/discussion about the game.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Bullshit...halfway through the final boss battle and it freezes.[/QUOTE]
Well
You fight him 3 times, so it should start you at the fight it froze on

Epic, totally fucking epic. Loved the game. If you're a PS3 gamer, don't do yourself a disservice and ignore this game because of the review scores or game length. Give it a rent and play through it at least once. Incredibly well put-together game, story-wise. Best use of the SixAxis thus far.

Nariko's one bad ass bitch. I want more. More Kai. More everything. They just need some better hairstylists.

[quote name='whoknows']Well
You fight him 3 times, so it should start you at the fight it froze on
[/quote]Yeah, I wasn't losing much I was just annoyed since I was kicking so much ass. I sat down and played the last part of this game I had left for an hour and a half. Usually, I get bored 15-20mins. in and I wanna head out. But this kept me going.

i just traded resistance for this game, boy am i not dissapointed! im on CH 2 now, and the story by far is great! my hands are starting to hurt though, lol. not gonna rush this game, its too good so far

Is it just me or does this game seemed to have gotten lumped together with Lair?

[quote name='Blackout542']Is it just me or does this game seemed to have gotten lumped together with Lair?[/QUOTE]

It has. Mostly because the came out pretty close to each other and both were hyped up to be the MUST HAVE savior of the system. Obviously both of which failed in one way to prevent that from happening. Lair's crappy controls, and HS's ridiculously short campaign.

[quote name='Corvin']It has. Mostly because the came out pretty close to each other and both were hyped up to be the MUST HAVE savior of the system. Obviously both of which failed in one way to prevent that from happening. Lair's crappy controls, and HS's ridiculously short campaign.[/quote]

I don't get the short thing because as stated countless times, God of War was short as hell and that was one of the games you HAD to play on PS2. Also games like Jak, Ratchet, Sly, all those games were short, beatable in under 10 hours.

[quote name='Blackout542']I don't get the short thing because as stated countless times, God of War was short as hell and that was one of the games you HAD to play on PS2. Also games like Jak, Ratchet, Sly, all those games were short, beatable in under 10 hours.[/QUOTE]

I played God of War for the first time directly after playing Heavenly Sword. Since GoW keeps track of your time, it's easy for me to tell you it took close to 10 hours, which is about 3.5 longer than HS. Doesn't sound like much but that's a third of the game longer, which is pretty substantial.

[quote name='Corvin']I played God of War for the first time directly after playing Heavenly Sword. Since GoW keeps track of your time, it's easy for me to tell you it took close to 10 hours, which is about 3.5 longer than HS. Doesn't sound like much but that's a third of the game longer, which is pretty substantial.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but if you took out all the platforming, "puzzles", and basically just the running around from point A to B it would probably be as short if not shorter than HS.

And the platforming isn't very good to begin with so ti wouldn't be a huge loss.

[quote name='whoknows']Yeah, but if you took out all the platforming, "puzzles", and basically just the running around from point A to B it would probably be as short if not shorter than HS.

And the platforming isn't very good to begin with so ti wouldn't be a huge loss.[/quote]

God of War combat and Story= Interesting
Heavenly Sword= Not so much

[quote name='InuFaye']God of War combat and Story= Interesting
Heavenly Sword= Not so much[/QUOTE]
I highly highly disagree.

The combat in HS is way way better. GoW was all button mashing, while you could actually put some thought into the combat system in HS.

GoW has a great story, yes, but so does HS.

[quote name='whoknows']Yeah, but if you took out all the platforming, "puzzles", and basically just the running around from point A to B it would probably be as short if not shorter than HS.

And the platforming isn't very good to begin with so ti wouldn't be a huge loss.[/QUOTE]

But there is no option to turn off the platforming so you can't really compare the two based on that. One game is 10 hours and the other, 6 hours.

Both great games, btw. I preferred the gameplay of HS but the story of GoW.

[quote name='InuFaye']God of War combat and Story= Interesting
Heavenly Sword= Not so much[/quote]

i bet u are someone who rented the game and beat it in 6 hrs then returned it without even looking into anything.

the story so far is great, i beat the 2nd boss and i just want to keep going.

Actually, my main criticism of him as that he failed to provide the reasons for his argument.

Instead, he uses faulty mathematics to describe something that's very subjective.

I just returned Heavenly Sword earlier today to Blockbuster. I think its a very cool game although I'm glad I rented, and didn't pay $60 for it. I haven't beaten a game in sooo long and it was great to finally do that. I think the last game I beat was Metal Gear Solid 2. I don't really understand why people compare this game to God of War alot. I guess the characters are the similar, and both games have those timed button press mini-games, but what else?

As far as HS being a button Masher...it kinda is. You could probably go through a fair share of the game's fights repeatedly pressing triangle. Hell, I know I got my fair share of accidental counterattacks just by pressing triangle.

I don't understand why people still post here that don't like the game. No one is going to change my opinion on it, and I doubt anyone else's will change either. It's a love or hate kind of game. Some don't like it because it's short, but I would rather be entertained for those 7 hrs then be bored for 15+hrs. I have liked plenty of short games, such as Ico and the length doesn't bother me. I guess you could button mash through out the game but I never did do that. I learned the combo system/counter system and used it to the fullest. I liked this game better then GOW, but GOW is still a decent action/adventure game. If you want to go into further discussion of action/adventure games we can. Lets just leave it at you either liked it or you didn't, and if you didn't please stop posting negative comments about it because honestly beside it being short you can't bitch about anything else.

[quote name='Furashu']i bet u are someone who rented the game and beat it in 6 hrs then returned it without even looking into anything.

the story so far is great, i beat the 2nd boss and i just want to keep going.[/QUOTE]He just likes to complain about everything. ;)

You guys talking about me or the other guy? I, for one, loved the game, more than GoW. I loved everything from the cut scenes to battle system to the Kai levels to the story and the characters. The production values on this game are unrivaled. My only beef is that I was so into it that I was disappointed to see it end so briefly. I'm just a big proponent of the too short for $60 argument. I will definitely pick it up when it can be had for less than $20.

[quote name='Corvin']You guys talking about me or the other guy? I, for one, loved the game, more than GoW. I loved everything from the cut scenes to battle system to the Kai levels to the story and the characters. The production values on this game are unrivaled. My only beef is that I was so into it that I was disappointed to see it end so briefly. I'm just a big proponent of the too short for $60 argument. I will definitely pick it up when it can be had for less than $20.[/quote]

Other dude man, I realize your only problem is that it was short and not worth $60 bones. Which is fine and I respect your opinion on that. :)

[quote name='The Mana Knight']No Folklore at TRU today, so I got Heavenly Sword instead. I still wanted Heavenly Sword, but I was hoping to wait until I got Uncharted and Ratchet. Oh well.[/quote]
That figures, my GS is full of them but yet TRU was sold out. I hate when games are sold out. :cry: Yeah I don't blame you on wanting to wait until you got those two games. I plan on picking up both of those as well, although I am more hyped for R&C especially after the demo. :)

Well, I almost would have gotten HS over Blue Dragon today (if Folklore was there), but oh well. I still want HS so it isn't a big deal. ;) Since SingStar won't be out this year, it's not a problem. ;) I already preordered Ratchet and have $8 in credit at Gamestop (which I'll use on it).

I'll start playing the game later this week and post my impressions. I liked the demo a lot (not as much as Ratchet and Folklore though), so I'll probably like this.

bread's done
Back