Offical Heavenly Sword Thread (Current GStat av score = 8.0)

[quote name='Thomas96']HALO3 9 hours, Stranglehold 6 hours... is HS really so short and not worth it... [when you put it in perspective][/QUOTE]

The thing about Halo 3 though is that the multiplayer aspect of the game is huge.

I beat the game about a week ago and I was pretty disappointed by it. Beyond the length, the battle system just felt wonky. While I did enjoy the Sixaxis parts quite a bit, the whole sit and wait system is incredibly unsatisfying especially when you've got a game like Ninja Gaiden Sigma sitting next door. Coupled with the really lame hat puzzles and mediocre boss fights, I just was really let down with the majority of the game.

I really don't know what HS 2 could do to make me like it more. Perhaps giving us a bit more variety to the standard battles and alternative paths so it gives me a bit more of a reason to head back rather then unlocking sketches.

Then again Halo has an endless MP aspect. But I'm gonna guess HS has the far superior story sequences and storyline (from what I can tell of it so far). I like shorter games anyway. I don't have time to put into long games anymore.

[quote name='Thomas96']Halo gets a plus due to MP, but you do pay extra for that aspect.. story mode... IS the game... essentially.[/QUOTE]

How exactly do you pay extra for MP? I pay $60 for Halo 3 I get a 10 hour campaign and a 100+ hour MP mode included.

I pay $60 for Heavenly Sword and get a 7 hour game with little replay value.

Don't get me wrong, HS is the best game I've played on the PS3, but not worth sixty bones.

[quote name='Corvin']How exactly do you pay extra for MP? I pay $60 for Halo 3 I get a 10 hour campaign and a 100+ hour MP mode included.

I pay $60 for Heavenly Sword and get a 7 hour game with little replay value.

Don't get me wrong, HS is the best game I've played on the PS3, but not worth sixty bones.[/QUOTE]

you have to pay to go online dont you... that's where most of the MP is experienced..

[quote name='Thomas96']HALO3 9 hours, Stranglehold 6 hours... is HS really so short and not worth it... [when you put it in perspective][/quote]

Dude just stop while your ahead seriously.

[quote name='Silent Assassin120']Dude just stop while your ahead seriously.[/QUOTE]

why because you say so.. or because I should be affraid of others not agreeing with me... BEGONE!

[edit] since we in a HS threat... LEAVE ME! lol

[quote name='Thomas96']why because you say so.. or because I should be affraid of others not agreeing with me... BEGONE![/quote]
No because You flail on your keyboard like there's bugs on it you are trying to squash.

:rofl:

[quote name='Silent Assassin120']No because You flail on your keyboard like there's bugs on it you are trying to squash.

:rofl:[/QUOTE]

reduced to a strell fanboy... I thought better of you.. I really did. oh well... that's that.

[quote name='Thomas96']reduced to a strell fanboy... I thought better of you.. I really did. oh well... that's that.[/quote] We're just trying to "calm things down" you could say, before this turns into a big ole' debaccle that pretty much goes nowhere with everyone flinging chairs to boogers :p
Besides, he said it with humor, not trying to put you down harshly or anything, at least, I don't think so ;)

I really don't think Halo 3 and Heavenly Sword are a good match for compare/contrast, lets just replace Halo 3 with Ninja Gaiden and we can have a healthy debate :D

[quote name='SteveMcQ']I don't have time to put into long games anymore.[/QUOTE]Agreed.
[quote name='Thomas96']you have to pay to go online dont you... that's where most of the MP is experienced..[/QUOTE]You have a point.
[quote name='Inf^Shini']We're just trying to "calm things down" you could say, before this turns into a big ole' debaccle that pretty much goes nowhere with everyone flinging chairs to boogers :p

I really don't think Halo 3 and Heavenly Sword are a good match for compare/contrast, lets just replace Halo 3 with Ninja Gaiden and we can have a healthy debate :D[/QUOTE]Agreed.

I still need HS, but I'm waiting to see how things look after I pay off my slim PSP and a PS2 game this week.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']We're just trying to "calm things down" you could say, before this turns into a big ole' debaccle that pretty much goes nowhere with everyone flinging chairs to boogers :p
Besides, he said it with humor, not trying to put you down harshly or anything, at least, I don't think so ;)

I really don't think Halo 3 and Heavenly Sword are a good match for compare/contrast, lets just replace Halo 3 with Ninja Gaiden and we can have a healthy debate :D[/QUOTE]

my bad.. I'm calm.. cause when I start speaking my mind..then the damn board gets shut down. I don't want people to say HS, isn't worth a dime because its shorter than HALO 3 which is only about 9 hours long plus online features you basically have to pay for to unlock. But... I digress. HS is a good game, not as long as everything else, but when put in perspective... its right there with other games. once again... I digress.

HS's story is almost like an epic movie. I would replay it just to "see the movie" again.

I agree, it is short. But seriously, lots of games get boring when they try to stretch the story for no reason.

A sequel to HS would be awesome but I guess risky. If they did something with Kai.... would be too good =)

[quote name='Thomas96']you have to pay to go online dont you... that's where most of the MP is experienced..[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, but SRP equal about $4 a month(cheaper if you are a CAG) and that is to play EVERY game online, not just Halo.

:shock:

What an ending! Best game ending since FFX, IMO.

I hate losing all these characters since it suggests we won't see them in sequels, although who knows how writers might bring them back. I demand more Bohan, Kai, Nariko, and Roach (necessary for the strange interaction between he and Bohan).

[quote name='mykevermin']:shock:

I hate losing all these characters since it suggests we won't see them in sequels, although who knows how writers might bring them back. I demand more Bohan, Kai, Nariko, and Roach (necessary for the strange interaction between he and Bohan).
[/quote]
A great game indeed, the best on PS3 thus far.

The cut-scenes are ridiculously awesome. Please tell me there's a cinema-mode to watch them at my leisure:

Very early on in the game, I love the part where
Bohan has Nariko cornered by the broken bridge with the Heavenly Sword, she yells in contempt and he mockingly yells back, stops abruptly, and gives the order to kill her. The facial animations were so great.

[quote name='Silent Assassin120']A great game indeed, the best on PS3 thus far.[/QUOTE]

The characters are amazingly well developed.
Roach asking to take the newly-blinded Bohan back home, so meekly, was so sickening (how could he revere such an asshole, even IF it is his father?) and touching (face it, Roach is a character you empathized with and really felt more pangs of regret fighting than the stage where you fought your clan members) at the same time. Just incredible stuff.

It has promise. It's great in some spots, repetitive in others, a touch short (not enough to spurn the outrage it gets and, say, Stranglehold strangely avoided). Much like the Tony Hawk series matured over time into a strong series (well, up until 4, at any rate), I see this as a great foundation on which to build future platformers. It ain't perfect, but it does many things so well that I'm glad to see that this is what comes out in the console's first year.

I loved the sixaxis' use in the game so much (and I *hated* it so far otherwise, save for fl0w) that I'm looking forward to getting Lair from Gamefly this week. Laugh if you want (and I may join you once I get a chance to play it), but HS made me anticipate using the sixaxis to play Lair. Time will tell, of course.

I think that Stranglehold avoided most of the short game outrage simply because HS was supposed to be the PS3's highest profile game of the year. While never touted as a Halo killer, I'm certain that many people hoped it was.

Without going back into my HS bashing too much, I think the sixaxis parts (on rails or stationary, fuck the whole run around and hide bullshit) were the most entertaining parts of the game. While it took some time to get used to, it's a pretty easy system to get into. My only complaint with it is that it makes no sense why when you're shooting something far away (especially during the catapult levels) it becomes easier, not harder to hit something. I'd really like to see that reversed or at very least rebalanced in the sequel.

I felt that they should have extended the arena part more for Nariko's side.

I'm up to the bridge part in Hell mode, so far the noticeable changes are: faster enemy attacks, you take more damage, enemies require more hits to take down, timer is a lot shorter for the first cannon level.

[quote name='furyk']I think that Stranglehold avoided most of the short game outrage simply because this was supposed to be the PS3's highest profile game of the year. While never touted as a Halo killer, I'm certain that many people hoped it was.

Without going back into my HS bashing too much, I think the sixaxis parts (on rails or stationary, fuck the whole run around and hide bullshit) were the most entertaining parts of the game. While it took some time to get used to, it's a pretty easy system to get into. My only complaint with it is that it makes no sense why when you're shooting something far away (especially during the catapult levels) it becomes easier, not harder to hit something. I'd really like to see that reversed or at very least rebalanced in the sequel.[/QUOTE]

Yes. The aftertouch idea is nice, but including a bit of gravity into the equation should make it a little less forgiving. I liked those parts a great deal, but it felt a bit cheap to be able to make a cannonball rise in midair. If you merged the sixaxis with a constant slow gravitational pull, it would make those elements more difficult.

^Haha, I love Kai. I loved the expression(s) on her face when she was talking to Nariko and had that bird + worm in her hands, just eager for Nariko to shut up so she could eat, hahaha

hmmm...after reading some of your comments about the game...i wonder if i should get the game after all :whistle2:k

I have a little bit of credit left at FYE...not sure if I should use it for Heavenly Sword, or wait for one of either.... Folklore, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted...or even hold out till next year's games hit (DMC4, Soul Calibur 4, Lil Big Planet, or MGS4)...

Just to reiterate. The only major downside to Heavenly Sword is the length, that's pretty much it.

Gameplay, story, characters, graphics, etc... all are very good.

[quote name='Vanigan']Just to reiterate. The only major downside to Heavenly Sword is the length, that's pretty much it.

Gameplay, story, characters, graphics, etc... all are very good.[/QUOTE]

What he said.

[quote name='mykevermin']:shock:

[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't say that. Metal Gear Solid 3's ending pretty much destroys every video game ending out there.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I wouldn't say that. Metal Gear Solid 3's ending pretty much destroys every video game ending out there.[/quote]

Yea, when it comes to storyline and the impact of the ending, MGS3 comes out on top, and I mean waaayyy top. I think that was the one and only time I felt depressed after passing a game, haha.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Yea, when it comes to storyline and the impact of the ending, MGS3 comes out on top, and I mean waaayyy top. I think that was the one and only time I felt depressed after passing a game, haha.[/quote]

MGS3 ending was good, but there are a few games that hold up well to it IMO. SOTC, ICO, and HS are very close to being better if not just as good as MGS3 IMO.

[quote name='Psykodelik']
Haha I love that video. It's funny to see the player not know where to shoot and then misses twice in a row to hit the fireworks. PEACHES!
[/quote]

Lol Massive damage FTW. As for the player I found it funny to he goes to high at first then to low I was thinking c'mon buddy you can do it lol... MONKEY

[quote name='w1r3d']
^Haha, I love Kai. I loved the expression(s) on her face when she was talking to Nariko and had that bird + worm in her hands, just eager for Nariko to shut up so she could eat, hahaha
[/quote]

Same here man, Kai is fucking awesome, she is probably my favorite side kick ever, next to Argo from SOTC of course. ;)

[quote name='imascrub']hmmm...after reading some of your comments about the game...i wonder if i should get the game after all :whistle2:k

I have a little bit of credit left at FYE...not sure if I should use it for Heavenly Sword, or wait for one of either.... Folklore, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted...or even hold out till next year's games hit (DMC4, Soul Calibur 4, Lil Big Planet, or MGS4)...[/quote]

You really should get it now. It is seriously the best game on the PS3 right now IMO. If you love action games with a great story and humor you'll love this game.

[quote name='Vanigan']Just to reiterate. The only major downside to Heavenly Sword is the length, that's pretty much it.

Gameplay, story, characters, graphics, etc... all are very good.[/quote]

QFT!

Finished the game yesterday and I have to say it was great, especially the facial expressions and the voice acting with it. Just wish it wasn't so short. >_

[quote name='Silent Assassin120']MGS3 ending was good, but there are a few games that hold up well to it IMO. SOTC, ICO, and HS are very close to being better if not just as good as MGS3 IMO.
[/QUOTE]
Don't get me wrong, the endings to those 3 games were great. But I have yet to see any game ending that has had the emotional impact of MGS3's. Just The Boss and her motives alone made that ending amazing.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Don't get me wrong, the endings to those 3 games were great. But I have yet to see any game ending that has had the emotional impact of MGS3's. Just The Boss and her motives alone made that ending amazing.[/quote]

I don't know I thought SOTC and HS were both up there emotional wise as well as MGS3.

I mean wandering dying like that after all the shit he went through hit me really hard. It was a really sad ending IMO. Hell even when Argo fell and "died" made me misty eyed as well. I was glad to see him return though at the end. It's really funny how a game with virtually no voice overs can get you so attached to the characters. Heavenly Sword with Nariko dying and then being reborn and then dying again made me very sad as well. In any case all three games I felt a strong bond with the characters and actually wanted everything to turn out okay for them, which in this case none of them did. I guess we can all agree those three games are all three AAA games and are must haves.

Heavenly Sword having a good ending? Really? Maybe it's just because the final boss battle was so bad, but the ending did nothing for me at all.

[quote name='furyk']I think that Stranglehold avoided most of the short game outrage simply because this was supposed to be the PS3's highest profile game of the year. [/QUOTE]
Stranglehold, really?

I'd think Ratchet, Uncharted, Unreal, Haze, or others would be called the PS3's high profile game of the year way before Stranglehold would.

my blockbuster is whack! They don't have HS in stock. I have been visiting BB every day to check if they have it. Do I need to tell them to get it?

[quote name='whoknows']Stranglehold, really?

I'd think Ratchet, Uncharted, Unreal, Haze, or others would be called the PS3's high profile game of the year way before Stranglehold would.[/QUOTE]

Did I write that? I meant Heavenly Sword was supposed to be high profile game while Stranglehold was a somewhat anticipated multiplatform title without the same amount of pressure. Consider it edited.

Edit: "This" was supposed to refer to HS.

[quote name='furyk']Heavenly Sword having a good ending? Really? Maybe it's just because the final boss battle was so bad, but the ending did nothing for me at all.[/quote]

To each their own then. I loved the ending and the final boss battle with Bohan.

[quote name='furyk']Did I write that? I meant Heavenly Sword was supposed to be high profile game while Stranglehold was a somewhat anticipated multiplatform title without the same amount of pressure. Consider it edited.

Edit: "This" was supposed to refer to HS.[/QUOTE]
Now it makes more sense :p

Just beat it on normal difficulty. I loved the Bohan battle, now that I finally beat him and timed those bolt attacks just right! Definitely worth the price - it's amazing that we got an action/adventure game of this quality only 10 months into the lifespan of the PS3 and we've got Folklore, Ratchet & Clank Future, and Uncharted all in the next two months.

FYI, there are some Limited Edition HS skins for the PS3:
http://www.gamergraffix.com/promo.html?l=27

Anyone know anything about a release on the Heavenly Sword soundtrack or somethin?

Edit: Well I found a page that has some of the music ---> http://www.heavenly-sword.nl/?page_id=28

I REALLY hope they make an official release soundtrack, b/c the music IMO was well orchestrated

My Favorite track is the song played at the Title Screen of the Game, but I also enjoyed the ending credits music

This game's one of the best next gen games I've played yet...Great storytelling, fun gameplay...And I'm actually excited to be able to finish a game finally...I think developers need to realize that not every gamer has 40-50 hours to spend on a game...This is a must buy for those getting a PS3 in the next month, imo.

[quote name='dserafin1986']I think developers need to realize that not every gamer has 40-50 hours to spend on a game...[/quote]

^agreed :applause:

good point.. this game could have been longer, if they would have included backtracking, and silly go fetch puzzles... get key, then go here, go back there and go in one room to get one key, then back to area 3. I like the fact that it was like a movie, it has heavy action.

I still think they could have extended the arena section of the game :/

It would've been fun with more fights against Bohan's subordinates/underlings :D

*Thinks of Gladiator* "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!!"

Hopefully the next game has more interactive platforming elements like GoW. It gets pretty dull rolling through empty hallways and corridors. It looks pretty, for sure, but it's very anemic game design. The brief QTE moments when you scale certain pieces don't count either. Nice distraction, but they need to add more depth to the arena combat.

bread's done
Back