OFFICIAL 2007 Yard Sale thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Superfan']Quick Question: Today I was out buying. Picked up a few things. But at one yard sale, Two college girls and one of the girls mothers were selling a graphing calculator and some cd's. I picked up the calculator (Ti-83 that she got 5 years ago when she was a freshman in high school) and 3 cds. The calculator was marked $40, the cds $2 a pop. I tried haggling $30 for all. But of course, I'm not used to haggling and not confident enough for CIF, so they saw me, looked offended(!) and said they'd take $40 for all. I responded with $35 but they refused to budge. Now based on what you know, was it the way I handled it or the people with the price in mind that kept the haggling low? I ended up getting it btw, so I only saved $6.

What should I have done? Pics later.[/quote]

I probably would have let it go, but that's just me. I've found better calculators for far less (a TI-86 ran me $8 at a flea market several years ago, and I got an 83 Plus at a yard sale for $5 last year) Your approach needs to center more on what you want to pay for something, not on what they want for it. If it's a bad price, and they reject haggling, let it go. It's not like that's the only TI-83 around (in fact, completed listings for it on eBay are showing prices in the $20-25 range, including shipping, and there are plenty of them)

You've still saved off what you would have paid from buying a TI-83 at a department store, but in the future, be more willing to say "no" to a sale if it's not a price you're totally comfortable with. Putting it back can also be a nice haggling tactic.

[quote name='Superfan']Quick Question: Today I was out buying. Picked up a few things. But at one yard sale, Two college girls and one of the girls mothers were selling a graphing calculator and some cd's. I picked up the calculator (Ti-83 that she got 5 years ago when she was a freshman in high school) and 3 cds. The calculator was marked $40, the cds $2 a pop. I tried haggling $30 for all. But of course, I'm not used to haggling and not confident enough for CIF, so they saw me, looked offended(!) and said they'd take $40 for all. I responded with $35 but they refused to budge. Now based on what you know, was it the way I handled it or the people with the price in mind that kept the haggling low? I ended up getting it btw, so I only saved $6.

What should I have done? Pics later.[/quote]

I wouldn't have bought it -- or I would have acted like I wasn't interested and walked off. I had someone try to sell me a TV and a couch today and I had to say no to it. I told them basically I didn't have the room for the couch and TV looked like one my grandma had. Although I have bought stuff I didn't really want (like PC games), I knew it wouldn't get much lower than the price offered.

Picked this up in the first neighborhood I went to from a 25 cent table. I haven't tried it yet, but it's some sort of steering wheel for the NES. Have a look:

Didn't find anything else at the other ten or so sales in the neighborhood, so we moved on. The next sale was just a single house, I asked about games and was pointed to a few boxes of toys. All I could find was a Game Boy Color marked at $8 with Wave Race in it. I pulled Wave Race out and offered a quarter, but she refused to split up the package or bring the price down. Oh well, would have been neat to see how the series started.

On to the third neighborhood of the day, it seemed a little too suburban, but I had some pretty nice finds. The first sale I checked out had this waiting for me:

A Sega Saturn, 2 controllers (one first party, one third party), Naki light gun (which also appears to work on a PlayStation), Tomb Raider, Daytona USA, Frank Thomas Big Hurt Baseball, College Slam, NHL All-Star Hockey, NFL '97, Alien Trilogy, and Area 51. Took it all for $5.

Walked through the neighborhood and found tons and tons of sports and WWII games, with the occasional interesting find. These are from three different sales:

Killer Instinct was 50 cents, the Dual Shock 2 was $1, and I CIF'd Rayman 3 down to $2 from $5.

The last sale I went to in the neighborhood had an N64 and Game Gear out, I asked about games and after a quick trip into the house, they brought these out:

Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Super Smash Bros., Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, 1080 Snowboarding, and a great condition controller were mine for $5.

All in all, a pretty good weekend.

I got a gold GB advance (used shape) and a big bag of GBA accesories including chargers and link cables. A storage bag thing for the GBA and accesories. I also got a few GBA manuals including Kingdom hearts. I got it all for $12. I also got a ps2 dvd remote for $2.

Nothing too excited, Yoshi's Island (GBA) for $3, and a set of 3 1981 pac man glasses in great condition for $5. I felt like I was giving a little too much for the latter, but I love pac man, so who cares :lol:

Oh yea I also got the Free Money to change your life book, you know the crappy infomercials with the guy with the bad suit. I was 0.25. I guess it goes for over $40 in store.

Pretty uneventful day for me.

Picked up a complete mint Chromehounds for the 360 for $4
This sale had a bunch of PS2 games nothing worthwhile at $5 a pop and Chromehounds. I tried to CIF $3 but she shot it down telling me she payed $50 or $60 for it not too long ago. I was like ..... "er OK ....... I'll give you $4" she took it

Also picked up a mint Watchmen graphic novel for .25 it was marked .50 but I offered up .25

I did come across a few good items but people were not in a bargaining mood today, among them was a mint Turbo Express in a cool carrying case w/ 5 common games. The guy would not budge from his IAP of $80. I offered up $45 which is way high for me but I really, really want a TE and this was the first one i've seen in the wild. It sure would be nice to play some ninja spirit on the bowl

[quote name='snotknocker']Pretty uneventful day for me.

Picked up a complete mint Chromehounds for the 360 for $4
This sale had a bunch of PS2 games nothing worthwhile at $5 a pop and Chromehounds. I tried to CIF $3 but she shot it down telling me she payed $50 or $60 for it not too long ago. I was like ..... "er OK ....... I'll give you $4" she took it

Also picked up a mint Watchmen graphic novel for .25 it was marked .50 but I offered up .25 [/quote]

Completely jealous of the Watchmen graphic novel....and Chromehounds (one of the 360 games that I want...for less than 8 dollars). Good finds.

I found nothing at the yard sales today...nothing but crap.

However, at the local flea market I picked up:

Sonic CD CIB- CIF one dollar down from three
Donkey Kong Country 2 (loose)- $5
Super Mario RPG (loose)- $5

I was really excited to find the two super nintendo games, even though I paid quite a bit more than I normally do, I think DKC 2 is worth it and I know SMRPG is. I bought them from a guy that usually has crap games all marked the same (i.e. NES games $3, Super $5, 64 $6, etc).

i went to another goodwill today, thought I found a first party gamecube controller for $2, but it was a third party one taped in the plastic from the Nintendo packaging....oh well

didnt have a lot of time for yard sales this morning, as I had WAAYYYYY too many things to do, but I found two Blueman Group dvds marked .25 a piece... still sealed! And I found a sidewinder usb controller for .25 as well.

the only videogame stuff I found were crappy sports games and overpriced psp games. oh well, there's a community yard sale next week. hope i have good luck.

[quote name='vicious7171']Nothing too excited, Yoshi's Island (GBA) for $3, and a set of 3 1981 pac man glasses in great condition for $5. I felt like I was giving a little too much for the latter, but I love pac man, so who cares :lol:[/quote]

pics! ;)

Some good finds at a pawn shop.

GC - Gun - $3.00
GC - Timesplitters Future Perfect - $4.00
PS2 - Sky Odyssey - $4.00
GC - Tony Hawk's American Skateland - $4.00
PS2 - Shinobi - $3.00
PS2 - Nightshade - $3.00

[quote name='nyprimus4']m3tal would you trade SMRPG?[/quote]

Sorry, I needed this one for my collection. However, yard sale season is still young...If I find another copy I'll pm you.

[quote name='chodax']pics! ;)[/quote]
Gladly!
Upon closer inspection, I've realized that they are the arby's glasses from 1980. I wish they each looked different, but they're the exact same as eachother.

This weekend was epic win!!

Saturday:

findslamoe.jpg

$45 for the lot

Contains:

Ps1 with hookups, controller
Snes with Hookups, controller
N64 with hookups, 2 controllers (missing pack, I have one around here somewhere)

Games:

Twisted Metal 2
Nightmare Creatures
Tenchu
Wargames Defcon 1
Star Wars Phantom Menace
star wars masters of the teras kasi

Crusin Usa
Blast Corps
SM 64
WWF War Zone
Mario Kart 64
Pokemon Stadium
Pokemon Snap
Bomberman 64
Starfox 64
Goldeneye

Super mario world
SF2
TMNT Turtles in Time
Sunset Riders
DKC
Lost Vikings
Uniracers
Captain America and the Avengers

Sunday:

Premium 360 with all hookups, hard drive, headset, wired controller and with

Call of Duty 3
oblivion
Spiderman 3
Call of Duty 2 (360)
Big Bumpin
Sneak King
Splinter Cell
Halo
Castlevania Curse of Darkness
Counterstrike
mechassault

And the PC version of Counterstrike with HL2DM and DoD: Source.

$142

findslamoe2001.jpg

findslamoe2002.jpg

It was a "right place at the right time" deal. I walked into a Gamecrazy looking at the classic plastic and in walked in a guy looking to trade the 360 for cash. GC doesn't give cash so I followed him out and asked about it. Offered him 150, but all I had was 142. The system works pretty well although I wanna test it some more to make sure.

[quote name='Joystick76']Wow... Amazing 360 deal. 142 for ALL that ?? Holy shiiiit.

Wanna sell it for double? :D haha[/QUOTE]

I know how much I could get for it. ;)

Nice Find on the 360!! I had one for 1 day but then it failed and was out of warranty since I bought it used.

Anyway, This weekend was not that exciting around here although I did get a couple items that I had never seen.

The first yard sale I went to today had this huge 32 inch Mario doll against the house. It was marked $0.50 so I decided that I wouldn't try to haggle it. After I bought it, theguy at the house told me how it was gotten. In his words:

"Well, about 20 years ago we went to a carnival with a friend of ours. He saw this mario guy as a prize and wanted to win him. He spent close to $30 trying to win him but never did. So, when the attendant was turned away getting a drink or something, he ran up and grabbed it off the shelf and ran off. Later on he gave it us and we've had it ever since."

So for $0.50 I got this mario doll and an entertaining story out of it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/539314076/

The only game I got from a sale today was this one. I picked up:

Ultima II: Runes of Virtue (SNES)

I asked this lady if she had any games and she said that she did in the house. She comes out carrying a paper bag with about 10 SNES games in it. I ask her house much for each game and she said $5 each. I was about to give her back the bag but saw that she had this game. I was wanting it and the rest were common games like Super Mario World and sports. I ended up CIF $3 for it but also got hte manual and little dust sleeve.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/539313762/

I ended up going to some pawn shops after having a lousy sale day and saw this game in the front case at the shop. So I ended up getting:

Final Fantasy XII

for $8 at his shop. Not bad for a recently released game

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/539313542/

After going to some not-so-stellar sales, I went to goodwill and picked up this Jeff Rovin Mortal Kombat Novel for $0.70. It was a little much, but I had never seen a Jeff Rovin novel before.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/539313970/

[quote name='Gara']Man, that is one ugly mario doll. I love his baseball cap though[/quote]

I know but I figure that he said he got it about 20 years ago and also the story with it is quite funny. That made the $0.50 for it worth it. I am hoping that it is a super-rare doll but I know better than that.

[quote name='vicious7171']Gladly!
Upon closer inspection, I've realized that they are the arby's glasses from 1980. I wish they each looked different, but they're the exact same as eachother.

[/quote]

Oh I thought you meant like eye glasses :booty:

Didn't get to go out this weekend. I was home and got a call from my mom, she saw a PSX, no cables. Not really needing or wanting it, but having tons of controllers, etc, I told her to offer them $2, and now I have yet another PSX.

Uh, I got a PSX for trade.

Mediocre Weekend

Original Purple GBA
Pokemon Ruby
10$

Superman Shadow of Apokolips PS2
1$

Xbox games
Madden 2007
Grabbed by the Ghoulies
Tony Hawk Project 8
Brothers in Arms 2
2 other I cant remember
15$

PS2 Games
The Bouncer
Def jam Non-GH
3 others nothing special
NBA Jam TE for 32X
$5.50

THUG 2 GBA
Construction Zone GBC
2 GBA Videos
Madden 2002 GBA
7 other GBA/GBC Games
1$

And my favorite find though prob not worth much
Football for NES Factory Sealed
$0.25

Here is my find for the weekend:

NES + cables
2 controllers
Light gun
Super Mario/Duck Hunt (cart only)
Baseball (cart + sleeve)
Rad Racer (cart + sleeve)
Tetris (cart + sleeve)

CIF'd $4 for all of it. They are all in excellent condition. Looks like they might've been played for a few weeks total.

Fire Emblem GBA = $0.25

This weekend was mostly a bust. I found this at one of the first sales, held it up, and asked how much. The girl running the sale shrugged her shoulders and said, "A quarter?" That's my kinda price!

Although I have to admit the price on this makes it one of my favorite finds so far this year. I almost spent $15 on it at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago.

The rest of the day had the typical disappointments: sports titles, kids selling their GBA games for way too much, not to mention I heard "Oh, we sold our games the first thing in the morning" at almost EVERY house... grr. Note to self: get up earlier.

Though not a garage sale find, I walked into a video store and saw that they were still renting Nintendo games! Through a series of events I got her to sell me the following games:

Captain Skyhawk
Cybernoid
Defender of the Crown
Deja Vu
Impossible Mission II (American Video Entertainment)
Jackal
Legacy of the Wizard
The Magic of Scherazade
Mission Impossible
Mega Man X (SNES)
Metal Fighter
The Rocketeer
Starship Hector
Tiles of Fate
Tiger-Heli
Total Recall
Rocket Ranger

They all came with the box and most came with the inserts, posters, maps, etc...) Sadly, none came with manuals. I paid 1.99 each!!! I was so excited!

[quote name='cranguy']The rest of the day had the typical disappointments: sports titles, kids selling their GBA games for way too much, not to mention I heard "Oh, we sold our games the first thing in the morning" at almost EVERY house... grr. Note to self: get up earlier.[/QUOTE]

That's what I hear alot of times around my area (games got bought right away) it can be rough as being at the right house with golden old games right as the sale starts is a crapshoot if retro games sell right when yardsales start in your area.

Got a complete Castlevania Chronicles at a Flea Market for $8. Usually more than I would pay but I have not seen this game anywhere in my market in years.

Also found a complete Okami at a pawn shop for $6. I almost offered to trade it for Dirge of Cerebus until i learned Dirge had the price drop.

In unrelated gaming news, I got 3x Optimus Prime MIB Voyager (G1) and 1 Megatron Voyager (G1) toys for $2 apiece at the local Wally World where I work. I was shocked as they are fetching decently on EBay. I may part with a few of the Primes but keeping everything else. I also got a Beast Wars Optimus Prime for a buck there. Odd timing to be clearing out Transformers crap.

Mirpkered - I had one of those as a kid. Sadly lost when some assbag teenagers set our tool shed on fire. It was an Applause collector doll released in the late '80s and had a companion Luigi. There were also smaller versions.

Otherguy - nice price on Okami. Now go play it.

(...and PLEASE keep that Lunar guide away from ebay...)

[quote name='Otherguy676']In unrelated gaming news, I got 3x Optimus Prime MIB Voyager (G1) and 1 Megatron Voyager (G1) toys for $2 apiece at the local Wally World where I work. I was shocked as they are fetching decently on EBay. I may part with a few of the Primes but keeping everything else. I also got a Beast Wars Optimus Prime for a buck there. Odd timing to be clearing out Transformers crap.[/quote]

Wait, say that again, They still had G1 toys sitting in the back? as in, the old truck cab and trailer and everything?

[quote name='sonderiaom']Wait, say that again, They still had G1 toys sitting in the back? as in, the old truck cab and trailer and everything?[/quote] They are some special re-releases that are about one year old.

I've been to a couple yard sales the past couple weeks and although I didn't find anything gaming related I did find some sweet music stuff.

Rocky 2 LP
Monty Python LP

Total-$2

Megadeth-Peace Sells but Who'se Buying
Dead Kennedys-In God we Trust Inc.
Misfits-Earth A.D.
Anthrax-Armed and Dangerous

All on Cassette-Total:$2

Sweet finds for me hopefully I get some gaming related stuff. And I need a camera to post pics!;)

[quote name='Scrubsy']They are some special re-releases that are about one year old.[/quote]

That does make sense that it would be the reissue on Optimus Prime, however they never really were allowed to reissue Megatron because of the new Gun Safety laws. Therefore if you got him and it looks like the oldstyle packaging, that's not a reissue, that's direct G1.

No, they were reissues. The Megatron is the first new G1 Megatron mold since the tank of the "G2". Megatron is worth some money and is actually pretty cool looking (he is a cybertronian gun I think). The Prime is great looking, will probably send an extra to each of my nephews.

[quote name='Scrubsy']They are some special re-releases that are about one year old.[/quote]

Are these the re-issues that don't quite look like original optimus (rounded portion on top of cab) and the weird Megatron that turns into a goofy alien gun?

[quote name='Otherguy676']No, they were reissues. The Megatron is the first new G1 Megatron mold since the tank of the "G2". Megatron is worth some money and is actually pretty cool looking (he is a cybertronian gun I think). The Prime is great looking, will probably send an extra to each of my nephews.[/quote]

No, if they're what you're describing then they are definitly NOT reissues.

This is what I think you have
Classics_Megatron_Gun_1.jpg

and this is what I was describing and what is the original Megatron:
Pistol_mode.jpg

The new "revised" megatron looks like a nurf gun because the old one looked exactly like a real gun and kids today are to stupid to own something that bad ass.

Saw an announcement for a YS this weekend, and sent a message to him asking if they had any old video game stuff that would be available at the sale. I got a response back: "Actually I will have to double check but I have a huge assortment of Nintendo, Sega Genesis, and SNES, and Gameboy video games and possibly systems. "

Needless to say this will be my first stop on Saturday, bright and early.

Finally made my first score of the yard sale season...

Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix complete new in box. They wanted $25 but I CIF'd $15 and her greedy eyes took the moolah. :)

I didn't do to well today. The neighborhoods I went to didn't have much. The only thing I picked was some records. I got the records for the movies Dune, Metropolis, and Empire Strikes Back. I'm a fan of both star wars and Dune, so I couldn't pass on those. I got them for a $1 a piece.

One thing I have been noticing is that I'm passing on more stuff now. This is mainly due to two reasons: dwindling funds and running out of room. I don't have much room to put a lot of stuff. I'm not sure where I'm going to put the boxes if I get any more systems, my bookshelves are full, and I've reached the capacity of my closet. I wish I had the money for a storage unit.

Since I'm too busy for sales tomorrow, and today was kind of a bust, here's my report today. I got this score yesterday right after a sale opened at 8:00. The N64 and everything shown with it (except the comforter, which actually came from that sale as well) was $10. The games were priced separately at $2 each, but before I could even CIF the nice woman running the sale just said "Oh, you can have all of it for $10."

n64_score.jpg

As for when to go, my policy now is to try and hit a few select ones as soon as they start and give it up after about an hour and a half. Usually, by that time, anything gaming-related has been picked over (as well as any good books, DVDs, etc.) I slept in today and missed the start of a sale that advertised "hundreds of DVDs and books" and when I got there four hours after it had started, there were no DVDs and only a "Crochet for Dummies" book. I asked, and apparently someone had made an offer for the lot early on. Fortune favors the prepared; if you want the scores, set your alarm and have plenty of coffee ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back