Official 2008 Yard Sale Thread

I stayed home today. Most of the neighborhood sales in my area I've been to many times over the last couple of years and think they've been picked clean for the most part when it comes to classic stuff. I decided to save on gas this weekend.

P9270182.jpg

Phantasy Star IV
Spiderman
$5

Picked these out of a genesis and a pile of games. The guy wouldn't go any lower than 2 for 5, and he said he had a brand new nintendo in the box he sold earlier that day for $30. >_<

60 National Geographics - $3

These were at two different houses. One lot was a dollar and the other was 3.

Just like two weeks ago, I only went to one sale where they advertised "Nintendo System and Games!!!!!" Ended up buying, all cart only for the N64:
-Goldeneye- $1
-Legend of Zelda: OOT-$1
-Gauntlet Legends-$1
-Hydro Thunder-$.75

All of the $1 ones were in generic cases that were made for N64 games, since Hydro Thunder was loose I imagine that's why it was cheaper.
Passed on a number of gamecube games for $5 each, a 64 for $10, a few wii games for $20 each (Including Trauma Center:SO and Mario Galaxy) and 3 N64 games (Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire, Extreme G-3, and Starfox) for $1 each.

Last edited by a moderator:
Block sale

Castlevania Sotn GH - $4 bucks
Final fantasy 7 BL- $4

I seen also seen mario kart 64, but the lady wouldn't break up the bundle.

Saw a GC marked $2 at a sale today. Purple version, no controllers or cords. When I asked the woman about it she said she had a game for it, couldn't find it and when I asked about the cords she said she didn't have those either, but I could pick them up at the game store. There was a disc in it and she said "No, there was one in a case". She then said "how about $1.
Don't know if it works, but the 1st party memory card and the scratched up Super Smash Bros. in it worked just fine on my platnum one at home. Will test the Cube itself in a few days or so.

Today was kinda lame for me, I skipped last week, but today i found a PS@ controller for $.25. when I was about to call it a day I found for $7 Puyo Pop and Metroid Prime with a guide. Then I met a guy that invited me to his house and I got a SNES with 9 games for $20.

I saw a bunch of games today but since they were Xbox360 games I do not need them and the prices were high (well I don't know if they were that bad if you wanted the games it was probably a deal)

Saints Row Xbox360 - 7$ they had some other games all at 7$ each, nothing notable

Gears of war $30 and misc Xbox 360 games for 30$ each, looked like all top titles but don't know if that was a deal or not. This was at a different house, I have been to this house before and saw nothing but overpriced games in the past.

Decided to take the day off. However, I got a call from a person that knows that I hit up yard sales for games. She said that there was a sale only a few blocks from my house that had a bunch of game stuff that they were practically giving away. Went there and they had a complete NES, Dreamcast w/o power plug, and a couple loose PS2 games. Guy said he had a ton of stuff that he accumulated over the years as a manager of a CompUsa, but most went really early. Did pick up one game though:

PaRappa the Rapper 2 (PS2)
$2

Don't know much about it, other than what I read here. Figured my daughter would like it.

[quote name='willc23']Decided to take the day off. However, I got a call from a person that knows that I hit up yard sales for games. She said that there was a sale only a few blocks from my house that had a bunch of game stuff that they were practically giving away. Went there and they had a complete NES, Dreamcast w/o power plug, and a couple loose PS2 games. Guy said he had a ton of stuff that he accumulated over the years as a manager of a CompUsa, but most went really early. Did pick up one game though:

PaRappa the Rapper 2 (PS2)
$2

Don't know much about it, other than what I read here. Figured my daughter would like it.[/quote] If you like rhythm games, you'll love parappa if its as good as the first one.

[quote name='darkslime']Thanks. ^_^
Is spiderman worth anything?
I'm actually enjoying PSIV.[/quote]

nah, Spiderman's pretty low in value. i used to really like that game; i got it for Christmas the year of its release, along with the Arcade Power Stick! :lol:

Phantasy Star IV used to hold a decent amount of value. i'm guessing it still does, considering how few and far between RPGs are, on the Genesis.

this weekend's stuff:

Nintendo Game Boy Advance AC Adapter, $1

DVD Disney's Classic Cartoon Favorites Starring Goofy
DVD Disney's Classic Cartoon Favorites Starring Chip & Dale, $3 for both

DVD Groundhog Day
DVD Thank You For Smoking, $4 for both

GC Pikmin 2 (missing manual), $6

32X Star Trek Starfleet Academy: Starship Bridge Simulator (complete)
Star Trek 25th Anniversary (complete)
Batman (missing manual), all for $5

360 Need for Speed: Most Wanted (complete), $5
360 Overlord (complete), $12

BD Talladega Nights, $5
PS3 Sony BD Remote Control, $10

total: $51

it's been too hot lately, and i didn't go to very many sales. i can't wait for the cooler weather to start in a month or so -- autumn/winter is really the prime-time for yard sales around here. picked up Overlord on a whim; it's actually pretty fun, and vaguely reminds me of the Deception games on the original Playstation. also, finally got my hands on a cheap copy of Groundhog Day, so that was excellent; it's one of my favorite movies.

lastly, the PS3 remote was a little on the steep side for a used purchase, but it's in new condition and it's at least half the price of retail, so i'm still gettin' a deal. now i really, really need to pick up an actual PS3 system!

here's to next week!

[quote name='darkslime']If you like rhythm games, you'll love parappa if its as good as the first one.[/quote]
The songs aren't quite as catchy, but it is a heck of a lot easier to get through. They have a "warm up" round before the song starts, and while playing, it shows your button presses on the line so it's easy to tell how early/late you are with them.

No game finds this week for me, but I only hit two sales on Friday on my way to work. Did get a nice pair of headphones for $5 to use at the office, though.

[quote name='SaraAB']I saw a bunch of games today but since they were Xbox360 games I do not need them and the prices were high (well I don't know if they were that bad if you wanted the games it was probably a deal)

Saints Row Xbox360 - 7$ they had some other games all at 7$ each, nothing notable

Gears of war $30 and misc Xbox 360 games for 30$ each, looked like all top titles but don't know if that was a deal or not. This was at a different house, I have been to this house before and saw nothing but overpriced games in the past.[/quote]

I love it when i see someone selling Xbox360 games for $30 at garage sales, I saw someone that had some old 360 sports games for $30, I told them that they were a bit high and the lady got mad and said "they are woth about $60 at walmart" I LOL's and said maybe 3 years ago. I also find it funny when poeple are selling FFVII for $2 at a sale and a crappy 360 game for $30.

P.S. Has anyone else picked up systems from the same house 2 years in a row? I think some people around here sell a system then think they need another and go buy one.

I had another good weekend. Once again... Quality not quantity

This was something I have been waiting on for a long time...

I pulled up to this sale on my way home from work. After looking around, I asked the elderly woman if she had any type of game items. She said she didn't but asked me if I could tell her what something was. She pulled out this box that said Vectrex on the side and I almost peed myself. I explained to her that it was an old game system. She then responded by asking me if I wanted it. I looked at it for a second and we pulled the system out. However, I soon found that the system was not there but only the back of the system. Also there were 4 COMPLETE vectrex games in the bottom of the box too. I offered her $5 and took it. Upon further inspection this is what I found:

Vectrex Box w/ Styrofoam, Manuals, Minstorm overlay and manual
Armor Attack (complete)
Pole Position (complete)
Star Trek (complete)
Solar Quest (compete)

I hopefully will find a system soon that I can play these on...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/2897864407/

I almost didn't stop at this sale. This was one of the perpetual yard sales that goes on weekend after weekend. I am glad I stopped though this time. I asked if there were any type of games at all after scouring for a bit and the proprietor of the yard sale pointed me to the back of the sale and said that there were some games there. In the bottom of the stack I found:

Devil May Cry: Capcom 5th Anniversary Collection

It had $10 on it and I asked if they would take any less. She said $5 and I was gone with it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/2897859113/

I went to this sale as it was advertising cheap games according to the ad. I get there and start looking around and found the following games:

Jet Moto 3 (complete)
Final Fantasy 7 (Black Label Disc 1 only)

These were marked $2 each but I asked that since FF7 didn't have all the discs if she would take $3 for all of it. She did so now I have an extra FF7 Black Label case...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/2898702720/

No major story here. I was digging through a box and found this Goku Action Figure. Gave $0.25 for it and left.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/2897866065/

I went to this sale just since it was there. I looked around and didn't see any type of video game items so I asked. The kid ran inside after telling me that he had dome N64 games. He brought out a pil of them and told me his mom said they were $2 each. I picked out the following:

Super Smash Bros.
Donkey Kong 64

I CIF'ed $3 for both and he took it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/2897867651/

[quote name='Sinnbox']
P.S. Has anyone else picked up systems from the same house 2 years in a row? I think some people around here sell a system then think they need another and go buy one.[/quote]

Not 2 yrs in a row but this Spring I got a Dreamcast with a couple light guns, then this fall I got a N64 and some games from the same place.

I only went 2 times this year also. Both weekends I went this same house had a garage sale and I got 2 systems. I was happy.

[quote name='allyourblood']nah, Spiderman's pretty low in value. i used to really like that game; i got it for Christmas the year of its release, along with the Arcade Power Stick! :lol:

Phantasy Star IV used to hold a decent amount of value. i'm guessing it still does, considering how few and far between RPGs are, on the Genesis.[/quote] It seems to be hovering around 20 bucks.

I'm gonna keep it though.

Found III for 5 bucks at a used game store last week, and II today for 8, so all I need is the SMS one.

I just got a huge lot of atari stuff from a friend's sister, this was purchased some time back though possibly last year, the price on the box was 5$ and it had a heavy sixer console, many games and many manuals in it. Also had a playstation with no controllers but there was Driver 2 inside of it and a memory card, and an atari flashback 1 unit and a Ms Pac Man plug and play. 5$ is quite a deal for all that.

Okay so im gonna start this off by saying hello I am new. I saw this website about 2 months ago and it made me start to go out to garage sales. So these are my finds for the past like 4 weeks. Pics are out of order by far.

My first garage sale i was very nervous because I never went to one before. So i get there have no clue what to say. The only thing i know how to do is use business tactics. I also learned Cif. Okay so i went to the house and i didnt see anything so i started to leave. I saw a box that said nintendo wires so i opened it. Saw 2 nes controllers and the tv output. Asked how much and he said 10 dollars. I then was able to get him down too three dollars for all of it.
2910714590_d49601bd58.jpg

After not finding anything for about 1 hour I decided to go to a far away yard sale. I decided to start asking if people had video games. The lady said she had a colecovision. I was so happy and i went to the system. I asked if it worked and she said it did. I asked the price and she said 40 dollars. i was able to get her down to 15 dollars. When i got home i plugged it all in and i found out the system didnt work. Now i know nvr to buy anything thats in a bag all shoved in.

2910714508_0275cddef2.jpg

Atleast it came with nine games (1 being an extra Donkey kong).
It also came with 4 colecovision remotes, 1 sega genesis (sega arcade power stick) and all of the wires.
2909868765_19b7ed6e9f.jpg

Next time I went out I got some things but not alot of videogames.
First area I went was a neighborhood sale with alot of young families. I asked one person if they had video games. She said yes and then told me shes not putting it out today. I asked her if i can look at them and buy them. She said no its gonna rain and i dont wanna bring them out. I didnt wanna argue with her so i left. The next house i got these 3 simpsons movies for a dollar all together. She wanted a dollar each but she gave in. Then the next sale i got Metal gear solid 2 for 1 dollar. It is complete. I also got a SNL best of adam Sandler sealed for 1 dollar.
2910714466_a7d3ac5159.jpg

Then i was going to a house then said in the ad video games for sale 1 dollar each will bargain but for some reason their was no sale at the house. So i went down the block and I went to a house. I bought these 2 controlers for the computer for 1 dollar each.
2909868749_6cf48ae322.jpg

I then went to some more sales and picked these up. I got both rugrats movies together for 1 dollar all togther. I also got dougs first movie and rockie and bullwhinkle together for 1 dollar. I then went to another sale and got a NJD special puck and 60 MTG cards for 1 dollar each. I then went to another sale and i saw The Wizard. I saw the Angry video game nerd where he talked about it. I searched the movie on the internet and this is not the cover art that i saw before. The movie cover says on it Screening Cassette. Is this rare?
2910714522_4c17d21558.jpg

The Next week i went to a special outdoor sale at the train station. I was speaking to a crazy lady about her video games. She had a looked like broken Nes and about 10 games. She said that it was 15 dollars for the Nes and then she would sell me each Nes game for 1 dollar. I asked if i could buy the nes games seperate and she said no. I then bargained with her and i got Metroid Prime and Mario/Duckhunt/World class track meet. Each was 1 dollar.
2909868817_9395e3479e.jpg

Then i walked to another place in the sale that sold video game systems. The main reason i go to garage sales is to get a dreamcast. I saw a dreamcast and the guy wanted 20 dollars. I didnt wanna pay 20 dollars. He also was selling 2 nes games for 5 dollars. So i asked him if I could have the dreamcast for 17 dollars and then ill buy 2 nes games for 5 dollars. He accepted and i got a dreamcast with 1 controller, fighting force 2 complete, Ninja turtles for nes and Dr. Mario for 22 dollars.
2909868837_72a92537b6.jpg

The next week it was raining really hard so i decided to go to my local play n trade. I picked up the megaman X above for 5 dollars. I also got a vmu for 6 dollars, And a remote plus rumble pack for 5 dollars.
2910714578_09e078b893.jpg

This is alot of fun and its a great experience. Also im able to practice driving because i just got my permit about 4 months ago. And i just wanted to say hello again.

After not finding anything for about 1 hour I decided to go to a far away yard sale. I decided to start asking if people had video games. The lady said she had a colecovision. I was so happy and i went to the system. I asked if it worked and she said it did. I asked the price and she said 40 dollars. i was able to get her down to 15 dollars. When i got home i plugged it all in and i found out the system didnt work. Now i know nvr to buy anything thats in a bag all shoved in.

2910714508_0275cddef2.jpg

[/quote]
You don't need to be afraid of sytems in bags generally, but it's all relative to what you pay for it. If they won't let you test a system or have no way to test it don't offer more than $10. I generally don't go more than $5 on untested systems, unless there are a ton of games with it.
"It worked last time we tried it" is generally nonsense.

Today I went to one of the biggest annual community yard sales in town, and I came home with this.
:gc:
$1.00- Star Wars Jedi Knights II: Jedi Outcast(complete, a few scratches)
:xbox:
$10.00- XBOX System, 1 controller, and remote(great condition)

I went to more than 50 yard sales today, and only came home with this. :wall:

[quote name='Ace_Defective']I went to more than 50 yard sales today, and only came home with this. :wall:[/QUOTE]

End of the season, same thing happened to me, everyone is dumping their garbage now.

At a church Rummage sale. 1 Action Replay Kit for xbox, complete with box, manuals, cd, memory card, etc. $.20

Any one want it before I take it to Amazon it will be on my TL.

Slim ps2, memory card, 2x ps2 controllers, 1x ps1 controller.... all for $20.. got it home and it all worked, took it to gamestop and got 60$

good profit :D

Neverwinter Nights Platinum (Complete ?) - $1

Saw this without a price and offered a buck for it. I don't know what all it came with but it had all 4 disks and came with a manual so it's complete if it didn't come with any extra maps etc.

Platinum GameBoy Advance With Charger

Harry Potter And The Chamber of Secrets (GBC)
Incredibles, The (GBA)
Pokemon Special Pikachu Edition (GB)
Powder Puff Girls: Battle Him, The (GBC)
Spongebob Squarepants: Legend of The Lost Spatula (GBC)
Top Gear Pocket (GBC)

$8

Found this at the second sale I went to today that I got to at about 8:15 that wasen't gone by that time even with all of this in a bag marked $8. I didn't even bother haggling down since it had somebody's initial by the price. I didn't think it would be good yetiquette either to try and offer less to the two nice old ladies running the sale seeing as $8 was good already. They also had some PS2 games each marked $4 that I passed on only one I would have grabbed if I didn't already own it was a greatest hits copy of Star Ocean: Till the End of Time.

Saturdays seem less competitive in my area this year and I've even seen some Saturday sales that seem about dead shortly after 8 this year even when it was nice out not just today late in the Yardsaling season. I would think that I'd have a much better chance of missing something like this GBA with games cheap if it was at a Friday sale. A good chunk of the yardsalers around here must go out Friday only with the way gas prices are.

I passed on some PS2 games at a sale that I heard the lady say were a buck each to somebody else. They had about 10 games but nothing I'd ever really get around to playing and had little to no interest in so I didn't grab any even if a buck is about as cheap as PS2 games get.

I went to 9 sales and 3 out of the 9 of them had steering wheel controllers which is definately one of the biggest video game drecks that people having a yardsale put out that sits around and don't sell. Reminded me of an episode of Married with Children I was watching yesterday were Al said that people only sell junk at yardsales :D

Went to a crapload of garage sales as well today...

Came home with:

Syphon Filter 2 (PS1, Complete) - $1
Devil May Cry 2 (PS2, Complete) - $2

Disney VHS:
Fantasia - $1
Peter Pan - $1
Little Mermaid - $1

My Disney VHS Collection is almost complete!

well i didnt go to any garage sales because i was looking at colleges but i ended up going to Play N Trade and i sold the games that came with my broken colecovision. I made $21.46 of off the games. Pretty good cuase i paid 15 for the games plus the system

The only thing I got were 3 PSX games for 2$. The games are You don't know jack, Tetris plus and Crash Bandicoot warped. I didn't go to a lot of sales.

I follow a simple rule when buying games, if its untested or "it worked the last time we tried it" then I only pay the price I would pay if the item was broken, you have to assume its broken when your buying it, and only pay that price. If the price is any higher than like 5$, simply don't buy it. If they don't sell it to you and you really want it you might want to cruise by their garbage the next day cause the console will likely be in there. You have a better chance with cartridge based systems, if your buying stuff like PSX's and other consoles that are disc based its best to assume they are broken immediately, if its a disc based system and the price is high I wouldn't even look at it. Disk based systems are notorious for breaking down. Electronics from the 1980's can break down over times, since some of these systems are from the late 70's they are 30 years old or more, connections break down and stuff. Don't be afraid to tell the yard sale people this, you might get your stuff cheaper. You can also point out other flaws and bring the price down that way. If you had a friend into electronics they could probably repair the colecovision. Also assume when buying very old games you are gonna have to throw out at least half of the stuff you get in a lot, especially when it comes down to controllers. If you get multiple controllers, plan on throwing out at least half of them. These things just break down over time. When picking up a big lot of games (like 30+) I usually get 1-2 that are dead and cannot be fixed for various reasons, so thats another thing to keep in mind. I just opened up a bunch of atari joysticks and all were non working and non fixable, and believe me I checked. The plastic joystick was just worn and there was nothing I could do to fix them, so into the trash they went.

Another thing to watch is to make sure the system comes with the correct power supply, you can check the voltage on the unit and on the power supply and make sure they match if its a generic power supply (don't forget to check the polarity also), a lot of times someone will shove another power supply into the console and obviously that is a very bad thing so you have to make sure that hasn't happened.

I must say though that the atari consoles are very hardy, the one that I just got works perfectly and its 30+ years old!

Yeah ive actually seen more ataris then any other system. And the games that i see most of are regular xbox games. Kinda strange because 1 house i went to the people had xbox games yet they said they nvr owned the system. And yeah from now on i got to think about how old something is. The dreamcast i bought needs a recharge and needed to be greased. And this system is no where near as old as the colecovision is. Atleast like what i said before i just sold the games for more money then i bought the lot for. Most of the games where like .50 cents but then Ladybug for the colecovision was like 13 dollars. Looked it up on ebay and it sells for like 8. So i made a good deal.

[quote name='SaraAB']The only thing I got were 3 PSX games for 2$. The games are You don't know jack, Tetris plus and Crash Bandicoot warped. I didn't go to a lot of sales.

I follow a simple rule when buying games, if its untested or "it worked the last time we tried it" then I only pay the price I would pay if the item was broken, you have to assume its broken when your buying it, and only pay that price. If the price is any higher than like 5$, simply don't buy it. If they don't sell it to you and you really want it you might want to cruise by their garbage the next day cause the console will likely be in there. You have a better chance with cartridge based systems, if your buying stuff like PSX's and other consoles that are disc based its best to assume they are broken immediately, if its a disc based system and the price is high I wouldn't even look at it. Disk based systems are notorious for breaking down. Electronics from the 1980's can break down over times, since some of these systems are from the late 70's they are 30 years old or more, connections break down and stuff. Don't be afraid to tell the yard sale people this, you might get your stuff cheaper. You can also point out other flaws and bring the price down that way. If you had a friend into electronics they could probably repair the colecovision. Also assume when buying very old games you are gonna have to throw out at least half of the stuff you get in a lot, especially when it comes down to controllers. If you get multiple controllers, plan on throwing out at least half of them. These things just break down over time. When picking up a big lot of games (like 30+) I usually get 1-2 that are dead and cannot be fixed for various reasons, so thats another thing to keep in mind. I just opened up a bunch of atari joysticks and all were non working and non fixable, and believe me I checked. The plastic joystick was just worn and there was nothing I could do to fix them, so into the trash they went.

Another thing to watch is to make sure the system comes with the correct power supply, you can check the voltage on the unit and on the power supply and make sure they match if its a generic power supply (don't forget to check the polarity also), a lot of times someone will shove another power supply into the console and obviously that is a very bad thing so you have to make sure that hasn't happened.

I must say though that the atari consoles are very hardy, the one that I just got works perfectly and its 30+ years old![/quote]

well then I must be doing something wrong...

I got 2 of them from a garage sale and I can't get either to work.

You people really shouldn't be so paranoid about broken games/systems. I buy this stuff for a living and I have bought some stuff in NASTY shape before, and my I think the amount of broken stuff I get is somewhere near 1% or less. That's not including NES systems that need new pin connectors though, because that's almost all of them.

do alot of u guys do this for a living becuase the only reason why i started was to get a dreamcast and some snes games

[quote name='dnrrule']do alot of u guys do this for a living becuase the only reason why i started was to get a dreamcast and some snes games[/quote] Its my only job, but I'm still in high school so its not like I have to live off the money.

I will usually get systems if the person doesn't know if they work that are cartridge based. Disc based I won't bother unless its a 360, wii or ps3 or $1-2.

The games I see most are XBOX games that are almost always priced at $5, and are always sports games. >_<

The systems I see the most of are xbox's and N64s. But I hardly ever see N64 games, which is weird...

[quote name='kube00']no..its like doing referrals for a living..hot and cold[/QUOTE]

If you simply do yard sales for a living, then yes, it's hot and cold.

BUT, with many different sources, you'd be AMAZED at the amount of money you can bring in. I'm making more than my friends who went to college for 4 years, earned a degree and scored a great job. And I'm not talking just SALES, I'm talking profit.

Only down side, no benefits/healthcare, but the advantages well outweigh that. :)

[quote name='dnrrule']Since your doing this for a job. Do you go out friday- Sunday?[/QUOTE]

Nah, I have so many sources that a lot of my stuff just comes to me and I don't really even have to hunt for it anymore.

I go out Saturday yard saleing, and I go out one or two days out of the week, or whenever a clearance sale is going on. Also I check clearance racks in every store I go in.

It really depends on how something is made, this is really the first time I had to throw out a whole ton of stuff from a lot, although I paid nothing for the lot of atari stuff so I shouldn't complain. I am just saying now from what I have seen I wouldn't pay a high price for a lot of atari stuff because I am getting a lot of broken controllers and some broken games. I haven't had a problem with atari systems yet, so I can't comment on what might be wrong.

Oh and for those that don't know an easy way to hook up an atari to a newer cable ready TV is to go to radioshack and grab a phono plug to F connector, this way you don't have to deal with poor quality switchboxes. I just threw out about 6-7 switchboxes because they were all so bad and I didn't have the one other piece needed to use them.

You have to pretty much assume that every NES will need a new pin connector, although I haven't seen many NES's around. If you have never replaced a pin connector, its very very easy.

I don't know how to solder so some broken stuff I cannot fix myself but I can fix up pretty much anything else that doesn't need soldering. If you have more skills then don't even worry about buying broken stuff. I have also bought stuff that was in nasty shape, most everything cleans up and works though.

With disc based systems and worrying about broken stuff I am mainly referring to the high prices people charge for games sometimes, if your getting a box of stuff for 5-10$ including a console then go ahead and buy it but you might want to look out for those 50$ PS2 bundles that are supposedly working. I did buy a broken PS2 for 4$ at a sale with no cords or controllers then flipped it for a 27$ sale before shipping on ebay, I was told this system was working but I obviously knew that the person was lying and that I was buying a broken item.

As far as selection I am getting a lot of N64 stuff, it seems to be very common around here, that and genesis which are the usual suspects. SNES and NES are less common and anything sega other than the genesis is even more rare. I have personally never seen atari stuff in the wild, the atari stuff I have has come from another area where my friend used to yard sale for me, unfortunately he died. I see a lot of PS2 stuff and for the most part its overpriced considering you really have to watch the condition on this stuff. I am seeing a ton of Xbox360 games, probably due to people trying to sell off their games from RROD'd systems, however I have no use for Xbox360 games. Another observation is that prices are much lower this summer and more people have games to sell but I think thats mainly due to the fact that there was a store taking in old games here that closed and also the ebay store that was here closed. I am picking up genesis systems for 3$ and N64's for 1$ and that did not happen in previous years.

Asking for games is still not working for me and I ask at EVERY sale.

Excellent day at the swap meet. ^_^

I bought a complete final fantasy 8 for $3, IAP was 5.

I then took that ff8 to one of the game stores there. He offered me $20 worth of stuff in the store. I saw complete wild arms 2 and legend of dragoon marked at 10 each and got those. ^_^

Its so funny how people shit their pants over final fantasy but don't know anything about obscure rpgs that can't still be purchased new for $20.

How do you find things at the swap meet i went to the one in englishtown and it was terrible went to everyone and not one person had anything that wasnt old and car related

[quote name='dnrrule']How do you find things at the swap meet i went to the one in englishtown and it was terrible went to everyone and not one person had anything that wasnt old and car related[/quote] It really just depends. There are tons of video games at my swap meet. Most are overpriced, but I can usually find a few deals every week.

[quote name='Cmosfm']That's not including NES systems that need new pin connectors though, because that's almost all of them.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='SaraAB']You have to pretty much assume that every NES will need a new pin connector, although I haven't seen many NES's around. If you have never replaced a pin connector, its very very easy.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'm lucky but I've always been able to get NES systems working without having to replace the pin connector. I use one of those (dry) cleaning carts to clean the system and only have to worry about how I put the game in when I press the game down in the NES, top of the game as close to the edge is what's always worked best for me. I just seem to have more trouble with getting the game to start up right instead of a gray or colored screen if the pin connector is worn. I can get these systems to play fine once started up without blinking on me mid game.

I've only ever had one NES that didn't work at all and was told that they didn't think it worked and when I turned it on it didn't get any power, looked like it might have been thrown or dropped at some point as the door on the system was missing and some damage to the plastic near the missing door. Even the NES I got earlier this year that was so dirty that you got dirt on your hands when you touched it and was stored in a barn for who knows how long worked better then I was expecting it to.

[quote name='SaraAB']Asking for games is still not working for me and I ask at EVERY sale.[/QUOTE]

I really don't think this really yields much more for most people. I can only think of two times (off the top of my head) this year that asking about video games brought out something (or a lot) that was good. When SnotKnocker was still posting finds it seemed as if he got some amazing finds asking about video games a couple of times a month but that seemed to go hand and hand with the greener pastures he was farming and not the same kind of results anyone yardsaling in average suburb america should expect asking about video games at yardsales.

For a living?

Man, and I was told that dropping out of high school would be a bad idea. If only I had known you guys back then, I could've saved myself a few years of schooling. ;_;

[quote name='dnrrule']How do you find things at the swap meet i went to the one in englishtown and it was terrible went to everyone and not one person had anything that wasnt old and car related[/QUOTE]

It really depends on the flea market (to some degree) and just plain out luck with what you find. It does seem as if most flea markets now a days in the US are about equal to or more expensive then ebay price wise for video games since each year more people seem to think of eBay (or just some place online) as being the stardard for getting an idea of how to price anything that isn't complete junk.

The flea market I frequent has been bone dry over the last month, the only video game I've bought over the last few trips was a cart only Sonic 2, asking and paid .50. When I see old video games at this flea market the price is always good (good as in reasonable or killer if it's something better/worth more money online) for old carts ($1-3 with usually say an N64 game being more likely to be $3 then an NES game). I think this flea market getting worse for finding video games lately is just partly the cold weather starting up and partly just less sellers from the gas prices etc so this year is really ending on a low note for me at the local flea and has me thinking I might not go again this year unless it's really nice (I usually go to this flea until the end of October maybe even a week or two into November).

I've also noticed that I don't see that many PS2 games for sale at the flea market when they should be all over the place and I think part of it is that if sellers see them at yardsales for say $5 IAP like I usually see them they won't even bother trying to buy them or lowballing since they really won't sell that well for $5 at this flea let alone more.

bread's done
Back