Official 2010 Yard Sale Thread

The main drawback to selling things on amazon is you can't list your things in a customized group, you have to list them individually under the product listing, and if your product isn't there, I am not sure if there is a way to sell it. Not to mention their return policy for buyers and the fact that buyers on amazon tend to complain about the type of envelope you used for example. At least ebay lets you have a no returns policy which means you probably won't be taking back items that you no longer want to deal with.

I lightly offended someone at a sale today for the first time. 2 beat to shit kids rackets and a worn out book on spain. I was just getting this crap for some family members. IAP $1 each offered $2 for all, guy says " no lo creo" . I said ok I'll just put one racket back. But then he said ok ok you can have it. I guess he figured it's better that someone pays him to move his junk out of his house than he pay someone to move it for him.

[quote name='SaraAB']The main drawback to selling things on amazon is you can't list your things in a customized group, you have to list them individually under the product listing, and if your product isn't there, I am not sure if there is a way to sell it. Not to mention their return policy for buyers and the fact that buyers on amazon tend to complain about the type of envelope you used for example. At least ebay lets you have a no returns policy which means you probably won't be taking back items that you no longer want to deal with.[/QUOTE]

Ebays no return policy is meaningless all the buyer has to do is say "item not as described" bam you are fuct. Happening to me right now.

Went to a garage sale at 10AM that started at 8:00. It was listed as Sunday morning, but it mentioned 360 wireless adaptor, games, etc. We walked out spending $50 on a Calico Critter three-story dollhouse with figures and furniture sets, 4 games (Marvel Ultimate Alliance/Forza, Orange Box, Crackdown, and sealed Assasin's Creed 2), 5 Winsor Pilates dvds, 9 Gunnar Peterson's Core Secrets dvds, and a Sony mp3 player/recorder.

*edit* Looked on ebay. The recorder recently sold for $50. SCORE!

*edit2* This Calico Critter (GF told me to put that it came out in the late 80s/early 90s as Maple Town, for you others) dollhouse, with (what she claimed to be several/all the furniture sets, we haven't gone over every piece): http://cgi.ebay.com/Huge-Calico-Cri...771?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f48566f3
DOUBLE SCORE!

[quote name='slowdive21']But I do hate people undercutting me daily by a penny. If they kept it at the same price we would both have the lowest price.

[/QUOTE]

Dang, you guys are sucking me into an Amazon discussion.

First off, ignore the whole penny cheaper stuff--for the most part, the sellers who do this have automated software that scans their listings to always be the lowest . . . don't bother fighting them.

You can beat them to the sale by:
1) have a good description of the item. Don't get too wordy but let buyers know what they are getting--its amazing how many sellers don't describe their items.
2) maintain 100% feedback. Many of the sellers who use repricing software have poor feedback.

A well-described item from a reliable seller is worth more money.

3) otherwise you can just wait--especially when a few chumps are knocking down the price of a solid item. I think a lot of items are cyclical so when the market heats up, the underpriced will sell out first and you will be positioned with a higher priced item.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='TiKi2']Be prepared to wait several months .[/QUOTE]

This is the strength of Amazon. Set a price, store the item and wait. For some items, the wait has a nice payoff.

I once found this software set at a library sale--I paid $1. It was a database of art images (but a mass market retail item) and not really all that special but obscure. The set was sealed and there were 2 separate pages on Amazon . . . so I listed it at $80 on both pages . . . I planned to remove the extra if one sold.

Of course, a year plus goes by and it sells. By this time, I have forgotten that I double-listed it so 6 months later it sold on the other page. I couldn't find the item but was able to search the past sale and determine the problem. I'm thinking fuck . . . I'll have to refund the order. Then I search on ebay and the same item is closing the next day . . . I ended up buying it for $15 (w shipping) and had it sent directly to the second buyer . . . wish I could do that everyday.

Ebaying an item like that on ebay during any random week is likely to be a disappointment.

[quote name='Doomstink']
Amazon does have its benefits (higher selling prices on a good majority of items), but to me everything else is a drawback. I honestly can't think of a single positive thing to say about my experience there [/QUOTE]

My experience is pretty much the opposite. I do think there are problems on Amazon and it isn't perfect but I've had very few problems as a seller. I've kept my refund/cancel rate pretty low and my feedback has been at 100% for 3 years (they do allow you to have 1 neg per 200 feedback). I have had a couple scam attempts . . . always with videogames . . . but when the buyers filed A-Z claims, Amazon didn't charge me.

I think the biggest problem with Amazon is that it is set up for bigger sellers (basically pros) and they don't give a crap about smaller sellers--so if you are a casual seller you can get screwed. For instance, they charge an extra $1 per sale fee . . . but if you become a "Pro Merchant" at $40 per month, they don't charge this fee. So, you have to sell more than 40 items per month to make this work . . . sell a few hundred or more and your costs are lowered.

[quote name='theGrue'] Oh well, I'm going to try and finish the summer strong.

[/QUOTE]

You got a great start on this with these nice finds.

Here are my Friday finds--I was only out for about 2 hrs altogether:

I saw a few people selling Xboxs (original) this weekend . . . people always want $50 for them. I'm not sure I would buy one for more than $5. At one sale with an Xbox, I spotted these three:

My offer of $6 for them was rejected but they accepted $7.

At one sale I found a huge (I mean hundreds) CD collection . . . they were marked $2 but the woman agreed to volume discounting. I spent a long time going through them and ended up with 52 items (some were multiple disc sets) and paid $50 total and this was the only game among them:

About 45 of the discs I bought as flip material . . . they are each in the $6-$20 range in value. I've pumped about half of them into Amazon and the 6 that have sold so far have put me in the black for the outlay . . . many are of low sales rank and will take some time to sell.

I think this is the "secret" to making money on Amazon . . . list as much stuff as possible. If you can reach a critical mass of items in your "store", you will have continuing sales. The book/movie/CD/game you list today will likely sell someday. Likewise the sales you have today might have been listed 3 days ago, three weeks ago, 3 months ago, or even 3 years ago.

[quote name='schultzed']My experience is pretty much the opposite. I do think there are problems on Amazon and it isn't perfect but I've had very few problems as a seller. I've kept my refund/cancel rate pretty low and my feedback has been at 100% for 3 years (they do allow you to have 1 neg per 200 feedback). I have had a couple scam attempts . . . always with videogames . . . but when the buyers filed A-Z claims, Amazon didn't charge me.

I think the biggest problem with Amazon is that it is set up for bigger sellers (basically pros) and they don't give a crap about smaller sellers--so if you are a casual seller you can get screwed. For instance, they charge an extra $1 per sale fee . . . but if you become a "Pro Merchant" at $40 per month, they don't charge this fee. So, you have to sell more than 40 items per month to make this work . . . sell a few hundred or more and your costs are lowered.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, for smaller sellers and smaller items, Amazon can be intimidating. I've only been selling on eBay so far, but definitely want to as least try out Amazon. If I find anything that I can get more than $40 or $50 for, I'll put it on Amazon, but for little stuff under $5, that $0.99 fee per item makes me pick eBay.

I don't mind "bragging" about nice pickups and reselling. Like Captain_Insano16 said, it's definitely helped me look out for stuff I normally wouldn't have payed attention to. I picked up two 3D puzzles for $0.50 each, and know of some other stuff to look out for. The eBay/Amazon talk definitely helps, too.

A few questions for everyone.

People still buy cds?
Kraft or Poly?
Anyone ever try any other median besides ebay/amazon?

I don't sell much on amazon and was just checking out thier fees. The bastards charge 2 closing fees. I always wondered why I got less than I expected back.

[quote name='Invicta 61']Seaman is frickin' CREEPY! I had nightmares similar to that game when I was a kid.[/QUOTE]

Probably not something you want to tell people.....lol.

[quote name='TiKi2']A few questions for everyone.

People still buy cds?
Kraft or Poly?
Anyone ever try any other median besides ebay/amazon?

I don't sell much on amazon and was just checking out thier fees. The bastards charge 2 closing fees. I always wondered why I got less than I expected back.[/QUOTE]

Im not quite sure why people rip into Amazon for fees. It really isn't much different than Ebay and Paypal combined.

[quote name='schultzed']My experience is pretty much the opposite. I do think there are problems on Amazon and it isn't perfect but I've had very few problems as a seller. I've kept my refund/cancel rate pretty low and my feedback has been at 100% for 3 years (they do allow you to have 1 neg per 200 feedback). I have had a couple scam attempts . . . always with videogames . . . but when the buyers filed A-Z claims, Amazon didn't charge me.

I think the biggest problem with Amazon is that it is set up for bigger sellers (basically pros) and they don't give a crap about smaller sellers--so if you are a casual seller you can get screwed. For instance, they charge an extra $1 per sale fee . . . but if you become a "Pro Merchant" at $40 per month, they don't charge this fee. So, you have to sell more than 40 items per month to make this work . . . sell a few hundred or more and your costs are lowered.[/QUOTE]

1 Negative per 200 feedback? Do you realize how insane that is? Gamestop would literally have been shut down by Amazon within it's first month of existence. Unless you sell brand new items, this is almost impossible. People complain about a lot of things. You say there are scratches, they think there are many scratches. I sold for a year and a half on Amazon. Lots of items. I got suspended because my defect rate went from under 1% to 1.6% one month and I couldn't get it back down. That is literally 98 out of 100 products being fine, yet I can't sell there anymore. That is crazy, especially considering they get exchanged or refunded if there is a problem.

[quote name='schuerm26']Im not quite sure why people rip into Amazon for fees. It really isn't much different than Ebay and Paypal combined.[/QUOTE]

amen to that, strong negative opinions should be based on fact (simply investigating a few items...) not speculation.
I appreciate quickly listing an item on Amazon but am very frustrated at the lack of seller support when a scam (a Proven scam is discovered)

Old 70's/80's skateboards found for under $5 are worth taking a chance on ... but an EBay auction would be the selling site...

Found an old #13 sealed KBCO CD today for $.50 yeah!

Yesterday 3 S Xbox controllers for $.75 each

GC Mary Kate and Ashley game complete $.50

Gameboy advance with 8 games (3 pokemons) with case $5

[quote name='schuerm26']1 Negative per 200 feedback? Do you realize how insane that is? Gamestop would literally have been shut down by Amazon within it's first month of existence. Unless you sell brand new items, this is almost impossible. People complain about a lot of things. You say there are scratches, they think there are many scratches. I sold for a year and a half on Amazon. Lots of items. I got suspended because my defect rate went from under 1% to 1.6% one month and I couldn't get it back down. That is literally 98 out of 100 products being fine, yet I can't sell there anymore. That is crazy, especially considering they get exchanged or refunded if there is a problem.[/QUOTE]

I sell mostly used stuff but I describe all defects and include a packing sheet with the product description.

This is hard to make out without columns but I'm not wasting any more time on it . . . my recent metrics.

Performance Over Time between Aug 1, 2009 and Jun 30, 2010

Date Number of Orders Order Defect Rate Pre-fulfillment Cancel Rate Late Shipment Rate Refund Rate

Jun 2010 206 0% 0.97% 0% 0.49%
May 2010 243 0% 1.23% 0% 0%
Apr 2010 234 0% 0% 0% 0%
Mar 2010 310 0% 0% 0% 1.29%
Feb 2010 289 0% 0.69% 0% 0.35%
Jan 2010 443 0% 0.45% 0% 0.68%
Dec 2009 397 0% 0.76% 0% 0.5%
Nov 2009 300 0% 1% 0% 0.33%
Oct 2009 326 0% 0.92% 0% 0%
Sep 2009 436 0.23% 1.83% 0% 0.69%
Aug 2009 460 0.22% 0.22% 0% 1.3%

The .23% defect rate in Sept. is likely due to textbook sales last Fall--you make good money but run into more problems.

I don't think I have a negative feedback over this time but maybe a neutral one.

[quote name='NickNorman']Yeah, for smaller sellers and smaller items, Amazon can be intimidating. I've only been selling on eBay so far, but definitely want to as least try out Amazon. If I find anything that I can get more than $40 or $50 for, I'll put it on Amazon, but for little stuff under $5, that $0.99 fee per item makes me pick eBay.

[/QUOTE]

$5 is my bottom limit for any item . . . it's just not worth the time for less. The Pro account ($40 per month) wipes out the .99 fee.

[quote name='schultzed']You got a great start on this with these nice finds.

Here are my Friday finds--I was only out for about 2 hrs altogether:

I saw a few people selling Xboxs (original) this weekend . . . people always want $50 for them. I'm not sure I would buy one for more than $5. At one sale with an Xbox, I spotted these three:

My offer of $6 for them was rejected but they accepted $7.

At one sale I found a huge (I mean hundreds) CD collection . . . they were marked $2 but the woman agreed to volume discounting. I spent a long time going through them and ended up with 52 items (some were multiple disc sets) and paid $50 total and this was the only game among them:

About 45 of the discs I bought as flip material . . . they are each in the $6-$20 range in value. I've pumped about half of them into Amazon and the 6 that have sold so far have put me in the black for the outlay . . . many are of low sales rank and will take some time to sell.

I think this is the "secret" to making money on Amazon . . . list as much stuff as possible. If you can reach a critical mass of items in your "store", you will have continuing sales. The book/movie/CD/game you list today will likely sell someday. Likewise the sales you have today might have been listed 3 days ago, three weeks ago, 3 months ago, or even 3 years ago.[/QUOTE]

Yeah based on the discussion here I wouldn't buy an Xbox for more than 5$ either, though you can probably get 10-$15 back on ebay even if the console is broken. People want $50 for them here too along with plenty of $25-40 color TV's and $50 PS2's. Keep in mind the Xbox live service has been discontinued. For PS2's you can get $20 back on ebay even if the console is broken. Overall the PS2 is your better buy, more games to choose from and more readily available games if you don't already have one.

If you really want the Xbox my suggestion is to go back to one of the sales that has an overpriced one close to the ending time of the sale, perhaps you can then talk them down in price especially if its close to your house and easy to get to. Mention that Xbox live has been discontinued for it and that you can't even buy games in stores anymore. Though if prices are that high you might be better off just bidding for one on ebay, wait till the holidays are over and bid during like Feb/March/April to get a lower price.

[quote name='donut']amen to that, strong negative opinions should be based on fact (simply investigating a few items...) not speculation.
[/QUOTE]

Practice what you preach buddy.

Fact - I paid around 11% total in ebay/paypal fees on something that sold for a over $200

[quote name='schuerm26']Im not quite sure why people rip into Amazon for fees. It really isn't much different than Ebay and Paypal combined.[/QUOTE]

I've done this breakdown before and I'll do it again. At most eBay + Paypal is ~18%, but if you sell an item at auction or for a price above $50 (or something that is not a DVD or Video Game) it is much lower. Amazon on the other hand:

$1.35 variable closing fee
+ $0.99 fixed closing fee
+ 15% of sale price
----------------
$2.35 + 15% of sale price

So if you price your game at $9, you pay $3.70 in fees (which is a staggering 41%). If you price something at $20, you pay $5.35 in fees which is 26%.

It's not until $60 that you get equal fees to eBay's highest fee.

Keep in mind that on eBay you only pay 15% on the first $50 and then a depreciated amount for everything after that. There's still the flat rate paypal fee of 2.7%, but eBay will almost ALWAYS be cheaper on fees than Amazon.

Here's a really shocking example of how bad Amazon's fees are compared to eBay:

Fees for a $600 item:

$92.35 on Amazon
$51.20 on eBay

There's your "hard facts", sirs.

[quote name='Doomstink']Keep in mind that on eBay you only pay 15% on the first $50 and then a depreciated amount for everything after that. There's still the flat rate paypal fee of 2.7%, but eBay will almost ALWAYS be cheaper on fees than Amazon.
[/QUOTE]

I do agree that Amazon's fees are too high but it matters on what you sell. Most of my items wouldn't sell at all on ebay. Here is an example of why I sell mostly on Amazon:

1st look at this sale (not mine):
http://cgi.ebay.com/MOZART-DON-GIOV...?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item35ab740ab8

but this is the lucky one because the others closed without bids:
http://completed.shop.ebay.com/DVD-...D_Blu_ray&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m283&_rdc=1

then look at Amazon's page:
http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Giovan...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1283136232&sr=8-2

I just sold a used copy of this DVD on Amazon for $14.99

Buyer Price $14.99
Amazon commission $3.05 (I don't pay the .99 fee)
Shipping fees: $2.98
Your Earnings $14.92

Granted, I could've made more money on ebay, if I could sell it for $14.99 there.

This one sold 3 days after listing but if it took 6 months, I wouldn't pay anything over that time. If it never sold, I don't pay anything.

Danke Doomstink

Great finds people, I think yardsaling season here has slowed to a crawl, but it always picks up in October again.

I went to an indoor yardsale $3 entry fee passed on a fifthly n64 and several other ps2 games marked $10 a piece....

But i am close to a CL score of 3x working ps2 systems with hookups for $20

[quote name='TiKi2']Practice what you preach buddy.

Fact - I paid around 11% total in ebay/paypal fees on something that sold for a over $200[/QUOTE]

I'm with you and doom on this. I merely meant to convey it takes research. Items tend to sell for more on Amazon so the net (with my few items) tends to be more at Amazon than EBay. But as I mentioned with the skateboards...it's Ebay auction all the way!

Members tend to post a "blanket" notion if you post on Amazon, fees will be more and you will net less...

OMG! I found one of these Friday and it's more complete/new!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300458768461&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Happy Dance!

Schultzed, do you list by typing in the upc or does the scanner do it?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a PC scanner. I need n easy way to type in the codes.

I hope jay's head doesn't explode from all the reseller stuff!

I don't mind "flipping" or "bragging" discussions, but can we get back on topic. IMO, it's pretty obvious that there's enough debate about ebay vs. Amazon that would warrant it's own thread.

[quote name='slowdive21']Schultzed, do you list by typing in the upc or does the scanner do it?

[/QUOTE]

I just type them in. I'm pretty disciplined on this front and force myself to list an ave. of 10 items per day.

I like the ease of Amazon. I'm willing to lose a few bucks for convenience since I'm not really depending on reselling or moving enough volume to lose $100s in fees.

on topic-- wish I had the time to go yard-sailing :(

[quote name='SlammedNiss']I don't mind "flipping" or "bragging" discussions, but can we get back on topic. IMO, it's pretty obvious that there's enough debate about ebay vs. Amazon that would warrant it's own thread.[/QUOTE]

Over my years on CAG, I've seen that an "outburst" like this usually runs its course . . .

In fact, I think we've reached a kind of resolution. Both venues have some advantages. If I had access to the great collectibles that people have been posting (donut--I love that airplane!) . . . I'd mostly sell on ebay. But books are usually best sold on Amazon. Videogames might go either way.

Amazon might yield higher prices but you pay higher fees.

Back to topic . . . I almost forgot my Sat gaming finds.

At two sales, I saw PS2 collections (10-15 games each time) but they were all crap (from a value or a collection POV). At one they said they sold a few (so maybe they had one or two good games). At both they were marked $5 . . . the only decent game at one was Sky Odyssey but the guy wouldn't budge from $5 . . . because "the kids were saving for a Wii" . . . I wished him good luck. At the other, the woman said I was the first buyer . . . and I picked up this for $2:

but only because it was sealed.

Picked up this for $1

minty and complete

Found a group of junky PC games at one sale and tried to get this for .50 but had to pay $1:

My hunch about its collectibility was right.

A longish drive to a "neighborhood" sale (4 or 5 poor sales) paid off as I hit one on the drive back. I was doing a quick walk-up to a sale that had very little stuff but on a table was laid out about 20 Xbox and 360 games. There was a sign that said $5 . . . OBO. I think the sale had just started but I grabbed this group:

Most are complete with decent discs (Bully, Fable II, and Gundam I--lack instructions). My offer of $20 was inexplicably accepted.

I've been wanting to try Bully and my daughter might dig Fable II.

As I walked away, I noticed one more that I overlooked:

and my offer of $2 was accepted

I wish I could find 100 guys like this one. He could have gotten more at Gamestop which was about a 1 min. drive from this driveway.

[quote name='schultzed']
About 45 of the discs I bought as flip material . . . they are each in the $6-$20 range in value. I've pumped about half of them into Amazon and the 6 that have sold so far have put me in the black for the outlay . . . many are of low sales rank and will take some time to sell.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of CDs and the like, there's a few rarities I know of offhand (many of a gothic / industrial bent).

http://www.amazon.com/Sympathy-Ministry/dp/B000002VC0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1283192191&sr=1-5

This is probably the only cassette I know of that's worth something, and it's in my car, lol.

http://www.amazon.com/Under-Violet-...r_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1283192072&sr=1-12

Think I got $10 or $15 for a beat-up version awhile back.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MJK9OG

Been sitting on this one for a few months now.

Certain (older) Skinny Puppy and Hawkwind (spack rock actually) CDs are also hard to find.

there's a ton of experimental music that gets tiny tiny pressings...like 250, 500, or 1000 copies. if the artist goes mainstream (Animal Collective) or cult-famous (insert tons of bands here), these become pretty valuable. Of course, it's not the kind of thing you find at a garage sale, they're usually sold directly through the label.

I was surprised to find my copy of Miles Davis -- Complete On the Corner Sessions box set is OOP and pretty valuable. Comes with some of the best packaging I've ever seen and the album isn't quite Bitches Brew-level of popular, so I guess I can see why they would stop production.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']
Certain (older) Skinny Puppy and Hawkwind (spack rock actually) CDs are also hard to find.[/QUOTE]

Hawkwind is really cool . . . too bad I don't have any of their CDs.

I think you would have loved this sale on a personal level (hundreds of CDs) . . . most of it was heavy metal and industrial (I did see some Ministry CDs). Although there were some more mainstream music.

There is no real formula on valuable CDs. As Ninja Dog is pointing out . . . rare and scarce is a big plus. Obscure can often mean valuable (but not always). For instance, look at this one (I've never had this disc):

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Tim-Curry/dp/B000008ERG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1283209071&sr=1-1

I recently picked up this one at a thrift and it sold quickly:

http://www.amazon.com/Ladyhawke-Ori...1P1O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1283209348&sr=1-1

This is a natural so why not this one? The difference is being OOP.

http://www.amazon.com/Labyrinth-Ori...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1283209656&sr=1-1

I did sell one of these . . . I think my best music sale:

http://www.amazon.com/Rare-Cult-Ltd...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1283209784&sr=1-1

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']

Hawkwind (spack rock actually) CDs are also hard to find.[/QUOTE]

Is spack rock the same as space rock?

I find it interesting people are using these specific labels on music. I started labeling bands in the late 80s. I wonder if any of my names are being used...

I have to correct wikipedia. I used the term "Wizard Rock" to describe Led Zeppelin. What's this crap about harry potter?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizard_rock

"Granola Rock" and "Homo Pop" still haven't caught on yet. "Homo Pop" was a genre I invented for one of my friend's bands.

On a side note, I also wore an ironic wolf t-shirt in 1996. You guys don't have to belive me, but it is true.

I got this email titled "Wolves" from my best friend and college roommate:

I guess I should have marketed my wolf tee. :bomb:

Even if I was rich, I would still Garage Sale.

Oh and Schultzed fix your links for the CDs you are taking about.

[quote name='slowdive21']Is spack rock the same as space rock?

I find it interesting people are using these specific labels on music. I started labeling bands in the late 80s. I wonder if any of my names are being used...

I have to correct wikipedia. I used the term "Wizard Rock" to describe Led Zeppelin. What's this crap about harry potter?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizard_rock

"Granola Rock" and "Homo Pop" still haven't caught on yet. "Homo Pop" was a genre I invented for one of my friend's bands.

On a side note, I also wore an ironic wolf t-shirt in 1996. You guys don't have to belive me, but it is true.

I got this email titled "Wolves" from my best friend and college roommate:

I guess I should have marketed my wolf tee. :bomb:

Even if I was rich, I would still Garage Sale.

Oh and Schultzed fix your links for the CDs you are taking about.[/QUOTE]

Hey, if schultzed can quote my link four times, then a little typo is nuthin'! (Seriously, it's all the excitement from thinking about flipping those CDs :hot:)

Over 750 Wizard bands and not one cover of Black Sabbath's The Wizard. I can't say I've seen much of this scene before, but I have read some nerd rock lyrics which involved a pokedex and some H.P. Lovecraft references.

[quote name='schultzed']
http://www.amazon.com/Best-Tim-Curry/dp/B000008ERG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1283209071&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Ladyhawke-Ori...1P1O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1283209348&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Labyrinth-Ori...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1283209656&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Rare-Cult-Ltd...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1283209784&sr=1-1[/QUOTE]

These links all go to the same page?! Eastern Wisconsin air pollution getting to you?

[quote name='schultzed']

A longish drive to a "neighborhood" sale (4 or 5 poor sales) paid off as I hit one on the drive back. I was doing a quick walk-up to a sale that had very little stuff but on a table was laid out about 20 Xbox and 360 games. There was a sign that said $5 . . . OBO. I think the sale had just started but I grabbed this group:

Most are complete with decent discs (Bully, Fable II, and Gundam I--lack instructions). My offer of $20 was inexplicably accepted.

I've been wanting to try Bully and my daughter might dig Fable II.

As I walked away, I noticed one more that I overlooked:

and my offer of $2 was accepted

I wish I could find 100 guys like this one. He could have gotten more at Gamestop which was about a 1 min. drive from this driveway.[/QUOTE]

Nice!!!:applause:

I think you would have loved this sale on a personal level (hundreds of CDs) . . . most of it was heavy metal and industrial (I did see some Ministry CDs). Although there were some more mainstream music.

There is no real formula on valuable CDs. As Ninja Dog is pointing out . . . rare and scarce is a big plus. Obscure can often mean valuable (but not always). For instance, look at this one (I've never had this disc):

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Tim-Curry/dp/B000008ERG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1283224154&sr=8-4

http://www.amazon.com/Rare-Cult-Ltd...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1283209784&sr=1-1

[quote name='jbroush99']These links all go to the same page?! Eastern Wisconsin air pollution getting to you?[/QUOTE]

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Tim-Curry/dp/B000008ERG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1283224154&sr=8-4

Really weird . . . the links look all the same (and wrong) when I view the page. The second I click on Edit . . . they appear correctly. I tried cutting the message and reposting. The links look OK while I work with it and then appear wrong when posted. How does this look?

There is no real formula on valuable CDs. As Ninja Dog is pointing out . . . rare and scarce is a big plus. Obscure can often mean valuable (but not always). For instance, look at this one (I've never had this disc but watch for it):

Best of Tim Curry CD

Ladyhawke Soundtrack

This is a natural so why not this next one? The difference is being OOP.

Labyrinth Soundtrack

Check out this soundtrack (found one at at a goodwill about 4 years ago:
Shaka Zulu soundtrack to mini-series . . . worth more than show on DVD

I also once sold the following . . . I think my best music sale (was about $200 at the time):

Rare Cult box set . . . 6 CDs but mine had an extra disc

Find of the year for me: Complete in box Zelda Ocarina of Time N64 Collector's Edition for $3. I also got Far Cry 2 PC and ET for Atari for $5 and $1 respectively at the same sale.

[quote name='ninja dog']there's a ton of experimental music that gets tiny tiny pressings...like 250, 500, or 1000 copies. if the artist goes mainstream (Animal Collective) or cult-famous (insert tons of bands here), these become pretty valuable. Of course, it's not the kind of thing you find at a garage sale, they're usually sold directly through the label.
[/QUOTE]

I found a Soul Asylum CD at a thrift store that fits that bill. I passed on it because I'm not familiar with CD flips, but I figured it would be valuable because it came out on Rough Trade (a record company that is now kaput, with all its pressing rights in limbo). One of my favorite bands released the majority of their material on Rough Trade and it is now incredibly hard to get a hold of. Anyways, sure enough I got home and looked up the Soul Asylum CD and it was OOP and worth ~$20, which wouldn't have been a bad return on a $1 investment.

[quote name='jaysapathy']Any particular reason why every link goes to the same thing? :p[/QUOTE]

It's fate telling me that my rare disc-only is never going to sell, mwa ha ha. At least I got two good songs off there ("in these silences" and "game of you")

[quote name='jaysapathy']Any particular reason why every link goes to the same thing? :p[/QUOTE]

fuck it . . . I just gave up. I redid all the links . . . they looked good in the post but then after I submitted they still messed up. Just look up the titles (if you're interested).

Its just a smattering of some discs I'm familiar with. There are many valuable CDs out there--but not the Celine Dions you see at most YSs.

What I keep hoping to find is a big collection of old Jazz and/or R&B CDs. Someone getting rid of an old family member's collection. Just walk up and see a mix of familiar and obscure artists--but a lot of unknown titles. Let's say there's a few hundred CDs with a $1 each sign . . . and then say "how about 3 for a dollar if I buy them all?"

Here's one more (to test the link thing) . . . bought this last year at a YS:
http://www.amazon.com/Music-Cosmos-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1283254446&sr=8-1

[quote name='Doomstink']And yes, they do really sell for that much. That isn't some arbitrary amount some seller made up[/QUOTE]

Actually it is an arbitrary amount but the market supports it. Ebay and Amazon are true markets . . . the basic law of markets is the balance between supply and demand. If the demand outstrips the supply, the prices will rise. When the supply outstrips the demand, prices will fall.

Here is the counter example of the MMPR CD:

http://www.amazon.com/Way-Decade-So...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1283263599&sr=1-1

interestingly the sales rank of this CD on Amazon is really high (1,343 when I viewed it . . . which means that only 1342 CDs are selling more--trust me this is high) but the sheer weigh of 247 used copies and Amazon selling it new for under $10 add up to a penny listing.

bread's done
Back