Official 2010 Yard Sale Thread

It was pretty awful today. There was an ad for a sale with 40 N64 games - They said email to buy them before the sale if interested(they had a ton of other stuff, it wasnt just the N64 games in the ad).

I emailed them the day the ad was put up, no response. I showed up today 30 minutes before the sail was supposed to start, and they were gone. I gave them a little piece of my mind, but only because it took me an hour to drive out there and back.

I went to some other sales and found nothing at all. Another sale was apparently taken before I got there - a 4 family sale that had some neat stuff. All the games were taken, but I picked up a N64 mic peripheral(from hey you pikachu? not sure) and a neat lightsaber for $1. They also had a keyboard and a 16' monitor that looked in great condition that I was close to biting on for $30.

All in all, pretty crappy day for sales.

8003051f69f6f1d963bfd6a76649205e.JPG

Xbox games - $1 each
Armed & Dangerous, MechAssault 2 Lone Wolf Limited Edition, Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Star Wars: KOTOR, Halo 2 Collector's Edition

All are complete and mint except MVC2 which has no manual and is slightly scratched (was bought used from Gamestop). Cherry picked these out of a pretty big pile.

dda3198430b15c8af81ee0b844f5b41c.jpg

Another N64. $10.

Black N64 system (non-jammed reset button! plus it has the expansion pack!)
1 grey and 1 clear blue controller
Power supply
RadioShack SNES/N64/GC/Xbox/Playstation RF adapter

I'd sell the blue controller but it actually matches my own N64. Asked if there were any games and was told the neighbor just bought 'em. Doh.

a34dcd6ce66c4305779577d3a0adf781.jpg

PS1 games - $5 total
Bloody Roar, Bloody Roar 2, Syphon Filter 2
Interactive Sampler Pack, vol. 3, Top Gun: Fire At Will longbox, NHL Faceoff longbox

No story to tell here. They're all in great shape.

b9dcaf254b53218ba6556da72c620a73.JPG

Non-game stuff.
Intermediate Algebra textbook - $.20
R.E.M. Single Action Green Boxset - $1 (vinyl singles)
Foxtrot "Houston, You Have A Problem" - $.20
Bone vol. 4 - The Dragonslayer (color edition) - $1

0bd9f95c42a0f9275606122d6a114be8.JPG

Monty Python's Complete Waste of Time CD-ROM - $.50
Monty Python & the Quest for the Holy Grail CD-ROM - $.50

2be86ddc1fe9404225cd1507a8045f8a.JPG

Windows Vista express update for Gateway / eMachines - $1
Not sure if/why anyone would want this but it's gotta be worth more than a buck.

Not a good day for me today. I went to about 20 sales in a neighborhood I haven't tried yet. First sale had Legos but looks like I was way behind on that. Another had some decent PS2 games but the discs were too beat up for me to buy them. One sale had a gamer and offered me 10 bucks for one gamecube controller -_-...they were dirty as hell so I countered with 2 controllers and Halo 2 for the same price. They had the PS1 joystick controller at another sale but he wasn't backing down from is 20 dollar price.

I'm still jealous on how you guys get your deals, but I guess I just need to keep trying.

I bought a wallet today !!

when I got home I looked in it and it was EMPTY !! but it did have a tag in it and it said it was made from eel skin....is that normal ?

[quote name='dynafire']This is why you need to scrutinize every box that is put out. I found this beauty in a box of paperback books. Walked away with it for $1.

Zelda II CIB

[/QUOTE]

Wow awesome find!

I got the commodore 64 plug n play handheld for $1, the IAP was 2$ but I got it down. At least people were willing to bargin with me today. I am pretty sure this is a fairly rare plug n play game and its pretty fun too.

I got a bunch of non gaming stuff but other than that nothing is notable for this website.

Finds have been close to none this summer but I did get these yesterday

29mojsj.jpg

Bugs Bunny Blowout
Digger T. Rock
Gauntlet II
Time Lord

All PAL-A

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']I bought a wallet today !!

when I got home I looked in it and it was EMPTY !! but it did have a tag in it and it said it was made from eel skin....is that normal ?[/QUOTE] I had one back in high school , they don't hold up as well as leather does.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']I bought a wallet today !!

when I got home I looked in it and it was EMPTY !! but it did have a tag in it and it said it was made from eel skin....is that normal ?[/QUOTE]

If it's electric eel skin it can wipe your credit cards. Oh, no didn't Myth Busters bust that?

Truth be told eel skin looks nice but isn't quite as durable as, say, leather.

Friday started slow . . . I headed across town to "block sale" which ended up being one sad guy pissed at his neighbors.

Then I had to drive back to a 9 am church sale . . . there I scored a nice group of books including this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1416543074
Not often I find a book ranked in the top 10 . . . mine sold ($10.99) within hours of listing.
Along with a pile of books and a few videos, I found these:

for $1 each
I also got this for $1

looks like a good flip.

At what could actually be considered a "huge" rummage sale, I found this for .50

Unfortunately there is no CD . . . the satisfying sound that I assumed was a jewel case is the thick manual . . . when will I learn to be more careful???

I picked this up at another sale . . . this was the only Wii game and there were a few 360 ones:

As I tried to negotiate, she said that they've been getting $8 on all the games that morning (sold a bunch of them). . . groan -- I would have gotten to this sale earlier if I hadn't gone on the goose chase. Anyway I used this to advantage saying this was a leftover . . . so we settled at $6.

Sealed IAP $3

Paid $2 . . . looks like its good on ebay . . . have to remember it in Nov.

I picked up this $1:

It looks mint but I haven't gotten it to work. I put in 4 AA rechargables (2 different sets) and it won't boot up. I'm going to try it with regular alkalines.

I was done and wanting to head home. I followed one crappy litttle sign to this sale in a poor neighborhood. I spot this bin of games and see a handwritten sign that says .50 each. I pulled out this group:

Actually, I put back about 5 others that didn't have discs (but all were minor like Maximo or Hot Shots Golf 3). So, I'm thinking is it really 5.00 per game? But these 2 kids (12 or 13) were hot to sell them for .50 each. There was a chainsmoking mom nearby . . . she didn't object. I decided not to ask any questions. As I paid ($7.50), I saw this group of 5 games duct taped together and offered $5 for them. I think that one kid was a neighbor.

NBA Courtside (not pictured) had no disc, so I paid $4 for these GC titles.

All of these games have scratched discs . . . I think I can make them respectable with my Simo disc machine.

Some lack manuals: Capcom, Ratchet, Wind Waker, SMBWii, GTASA, FFCrystal, PokemonC.

I think I bought half of the games . . . bypassing sports and a few others of low interest. I should have counted them all (maybe it was 35 total) and just tossed them a $20 (for the non-taped games in the bin). As it was, they were very excited about the money.

Afterwards, the whole thing made me a little sad . . . my folks were close to poor when I was a kid. I have an idea what it is like.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ex_eBay_buyer']that's a nice lot of games schultzed![/QUOTE]

Agreed...It must be a Zelda weekend for most of us! Still working on my pics. Schultzed probably had to battle the heat like I did. It was muggier than the devil's taint this weekend.

Not that great, but not horrible like last week.

GBA light $0.25, Spyro toy $0.25, Beast Wars Tarantulas with missing parts for free, Megatron's tail... also free, and Dragon Age Origins blow-up sword (sealed) for another hefty $0.25.
dsc01183j.jpg

The smaller Teddy Ruxpin - $2. No idea if it works.
dsc01188s.jpg

Pirates of the Caribbean version of Life, and Transformers Risk for $2 each.
dsc01184f.jpg

Three records from a Church rummage sale, $0.50 each.
dsc01186ta.jpg

National Geographic Lord of the Rings - $?, The Incredibles (WS, just noticed) $1?, Leroy and Stich $1?
dsc01185s.jpg

Got these games with the National Geographic dvd and the Transformers for $10. She wanted $12 total. One of the Sim games is still sealed, I think SimCity Classic.
dsc01187c.jpg

Got the following 3 pictures for $35. May have overpaid, and this is with some major talking down.

5x Atari games, Mortal Kombat 3, Vectorman 2, Tails Adventure, Sonic Triple Trouble, Revenge of Drancon. He wanted $4 a piece.
dsc01190q.jpg

7 Intellivision games. Yes, I can count. Armor Battle is empty. He wanted $2 a piece.
dsc01189j.jpg

Taiko Drummaster. Mixed feelings about this one, cause it takes up precious room, but it's very minty. He originally wanted $20.
dsc01191go.jpg

Not pictured:
Also got a pirate ship kite for I think $2. Might have been $3. A PS3 gift card holder for $0.25. A set of snowmen ornaments from the church rummage for $2 (gifting it to GF's mom), and a painting I liked for $3 or $5, forgot which.

I found cart only Donkey Kong 64 for $1 in quite good shape, and my friend got a boxed SNES for $10, down from $20, missing one of the two controllers. Rare to find anything game related around my area though I did find a box of laserdiscs a few weeks back in pristine shape.

[quote name='schultzed']Friday started slow . . . I headed across town to "block sale" which ended up being one sad guy pissed at his neighbors.

Then I had to drive back to a 9 am church sale . . . there I scored a nice group of books including this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1416543074
Not often I find a book ranked in the top 10 . . . mine sold ($10.99) within hours of listing.
Along with a pile of books and a few videos, I found these:

for $1 each
I also got this for $1

looks like a good flip.

At what could actually be considered a "huge" rummage sale, I found this for .50

Unfortunately there is no CD . . . the satisfying sound that I assumed was a jewel case is the thick manual . . . when will I learn to be more careful???

I picked this up at another sale . . . this was the only Wii game and there were a few 360 ones:

As I tried to negotiate, she said that they've been getting $8 on all the games that morning (sold a bunch of them). . . groan -- I would have gotten to this sale earlier if I hadn't gone on the goose chase. Anyway I used this to advantage saying this was a leftover . . . so we settled at $6.

Sealed IAP $3

Paid $2 . . . looks like its good on ebay . . . have to remember it in Nov.

I picked up this $1:

It looks mint but I haven't gotten it to work. I put in 4 AA rechargables (2 different sets) and it won't boot up. I'm going to try it with regular alkalines.

I was done and wanting to head home. I followed one crappy litttle sign to this sale in a poor neighborhood. I spot this bin of games and see a handwritten sign that says .50 each. I pulled out this group:

Actually, I put back about 5 others that didn't have discs (but all were minor like Maximo or Hot Shots Golf 3). So, I'm thinking is it really 5.00 per game? But these 2 kids (12 or 13) were hot to sell them for .50 each. There was a chainsmoking mom nearby . . . she didn't object. I decided not to ask any questions. As I paid ($7.50), I saw this group of 5 games duct taped together and offered $5 for them. I think that one kid was a neighbor.

NBA Courtside (not pictured) had no disc, so I paid $4 for these GC titles.

All of these games have scratched discs . . . I think I can make them respectable with my Simo disc machine.

Some lack manuals: Capcom, Ratchet, Wind Waker, SMBWii, GTASA, FFCrystal, PokemonC.

I think I bought half of the games . . . bypassing sports and a few others of low interest. I should have counted them all (maybe it was 35 total) and just tossed them a $20 (for the non-taped games in the bin). As it was, they were very excited about the money.

Afterwards, the whole thing made me a little sad . . . my folks were close to poor when I was a kid. I have an idea what it is like.[/QUOTE]

My parents were poor as a kid too and I didn't have any video games until age 18 when I was able to buy my own (it doesn't help that I didn't have any interest in them as a kid, but I did like arcade games).

This is all a really nice find btw, especially the NSMB

[quote name='elessar123']
Three records from a Church rummage sale, $0.50 each.
dsc01186ta.jpg

[/QUOTE]
These are in nice shape if they are the originals form the 60's. Most of the time the covers are soiled or ripped apart when I find them!

SNES System With Bust-A-Move - $3
Resident Evil 2 (Complete With Resident Evil 3 Also In The Case) - $1
Aliens vs Predator (Complete), Red Dead Redemption (No Manual) - $10
N64 GameShark VHS Tape - .10
Double Drible: The Playoff Edition (Genesis) - $1
Street Fighther II (SNES) - Wizards & Warriors (NES)

SNES with BAM I got at my first stop of the day from a sale I saw that mentioned "video game systems" on Craigslist. Got to the sale and didn't see anything video game related, asked about games and the guy was still bringing stuff out and mentioned a SNES and went in to grab it, he pointed out the TV hookup missing and I offered 3 for it.

Resident Evil 2 & 3 was the only PS1 game with some DVDs marked a buck each. Asked about games at the sale I got the 360 games at and the lady was still putting stuff out and showed me a bag with PS2 & 360 games I asked and they were $5 each. offered .10 for the VHS tape. Asked about games at a house, they ended up bringing out some Genesis games to which I picked out and offered a buck for Double Dribble. A few weeks ago I had a guy that said he'd like to find Wizards & Warriors, I stopped by and was gonna put it in his mailbox but he was right in the front room with one door open so I knocked and gave him the game and he offered me a few bucks but instead I asked about Street Fighter II which I passed on when I was at his yardsale 2 weeks ago and it was a trade.

Atari 7800 (No Controllers), Hookups, Some Papers, 17 2600 Games, 5 7800 Games - $20

Unadvertised sale on a main road, this was kind of easy to miss (as I did and was pointed to when I asked about games). Wanted 20 I tried to counter with 10 then tried to meet in the middle at 15 but they were giving some of the money to some cause (cancer IIRC) and the girl said she was keeping half the money and the other half to the cause so that was the leverage to stay firm on the price so I payed up.

Friday I didn't have many sales on my list and it was raining till about 10 so I didn't do any yardsaling. Saturday I got out kind of late (about 8:15) and was out till about 1:05. I didn't miss any sales late in the day but I did skip a sale at a YMCA & the 3 sales at the furthest point out that were all fairly spaced out in an effort to save some time as I had 40 sales on my list Saturday not doing any YSing Friday. Got to 46 sales today 10 of which were unadvertised sales.

On some of the main roads downtown I'll notice some of the same houses having an unadvertised yardsale again and again, I actually skipped one house today that I've seen having a yardsale about 6 times this year and a few that were giving me deja vu that I'm pretty sure I've been to.

Only really expensive stuff was at one unadvertised sale, had a sign up to ask about Wii stuff so I did, Jr wasen't present at the sale but made up a list with prices for the system and each game with different prices. I only remember Super Smash Bros Brawl - $30, Mario Party 8 - $25 & Super Paper Mario - $20 and that he listed all of the games he downloaded. It's a safe bet that nothing sold today.

Wasen't told about anything that sounded too interesting that I missed. The sale I made my first stop that mentioned "video game systems" the guy mentioned that in previous days he sold a GBC and a fat PS2. One house mentioned that they had some "games" that sold but no systems so I would guess a few last gen games and that it wasen't anything.

One house late in the day I asked about video games and I was asked what kind of old games to which I rambled off a few systems then the lady ended up mentioning an N64 like she'd be willing to sell it only to go on right afterwards to say "we still play it" to which I said well why'd you mention 'bout that Willis? (Ok I didn't really say that)

[quote name='slowdive21']These are in nice shape if they are the originals form the 60's. Most of the time the covers are soiled or ripped apart when I find them![/QUOTE]

Yep, they're the originals from the 60s. Also found the nice looking disney ones before with full art on the records, and wanted to buy those to frame, but I'm actually not a really big fan of disney.

One house late in the day I asked about video games and I was asked what kind of old games to which I rambled off a few systems then the lady ended up mentioning an N64 like she'd be willing to sell it only to go on right afterwards to say "we still play it" to which I said well why'd you mention 'bout that Willis? (Ok I didn't really say that)[/spoiler]

But you should have.:lol:

[quote name='nnthomas']I don't see anything really notable in this lot. I hope you didnt pay much to consider this epic.[/QUOTE]
I see Tail Concerto, Chocobo's Dungeon 2 and Parappa The Rapper for PS1 and at least Super Mario World and Wario's Woods for SNES between those two pictures that more than make up the cost for the entire lot.

Considering how much shmucks want around here for any games/game systems I'd kill to get a haul like that, but the flea markets and yard sales around here are largely comprised of people who think old=valuable with everything gaming related.

[quote name='schultzed']

[/QUOTE]

Do you recall when buying this, do the original supplies clean up quite a few discs before needing to buy more?
I have been wanting to buy one now that Gamecrazy closed...

and are the supplies expensive?

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='donut']Do you recall when buying this, do the original supplies clean up quite a few discs before needing to buy more?

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]
These were the machines that Gamecrazy/Hollywood Video used to have, though the ones many of them had were of the two disc at a time variety($649).

http://www.jfjeasypro.com/home.htm?src=overture

As for the supplies being expensive, there's a page on there for the replacement supplies as well.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']These were the machines that Gamecrazy/Hollywood Video used to have, though the ones many of them had were of the two disc at a time variety($649).

http://www.jfjeasypro.com/home.htm?src=overture

As for the supplies being expensive, there's a page on there for the replacement supplies as well.[/QUOTE]

Thanks but are you sure they are the same/simuliar?

Here's what came up when I googled the simotech
http://www.amazon.com/Simotech-DSR-R1-DVD-Repair-Machine/dp/B000GX31G6

and the machine your link shows looks nothing like the three machines used in our former GCs/Hollywood but these stores were pretty old....

I have a couple questions:

How much would you guys think is fair for an original Xbox assuming it had all the cords and one controller. Microsoft discontinued xbox live service for this so can you even play it anymore? I am assuming you can still play it, at least somewhat. If so, are there any games that won't work. I don't have a gamertag since I have not owned an Xbox before. Prices on ebay vary, but are generally around $20-30 for the system, which would be much lower than what people sell them for here at sales. (In other words if i really want an Xbox its cheaper for me to buy from ebay).

Second, how much is fair for a used PS2, assuming dusty and dirty condition and if it has a controller and cords. These things tend to have failing disc drives, so I want to know what to look out for on a used model, obviously I should check the warranty sticker, but is there anything else?

People around here usually want about $50 for each console, and as you guessed, they are not selling, I feel this stuff is very overpriced (much like the $40 13 inch CRT TV's I keep seeing), but I am seeing a lot of it.

You can play Xbox just fine, no need for a Gamertag. You can't play online, and some games are online focused, like Phantasy Star Online, but these games normally have some form of offline component.

[quote name='SaraAB']I have a couple questions:

How much would you guys think is fair for an original Xbox assuming it had all the cords and one controller. Microsoft discontinued xbox live service for this so can you even play it anymore? I am assuming you can still play it, at least somewhat. If so, are there any games that won't work. I don't have a gamertag since I have not owned an Xbox before. Prices on ebay vary, but are generally around $20-30 for the system, which would be much lower than what people sell them for here at sales. (In other words if i really want an Xbox its cheaper for me to buy from ebay).

Second, how much is fair for a used PS2, assuming dusty and dirty condition and if it has a controller and cords. These things tend to have failing disc drives, so I want to know what to look out for on a used model, obviously I should check the warranty sticker, but is there anything else?

People around here usually want about $50 for each console, and as you guessed, they are not selling, I feel this stuff is very overpriced (much like the $40 13 inch CRT TV's I keep seeing), but I am seeing a lot of it.[/QUOTE]

I was able to get an xbox with something like 8 games for $10. Mainly because I didn't have one and there was a handful of exclusively titles I wanted to try out (I also don't have an xbox360, which puts me in a pretty narrow niche as a buyer). I wouldn't pay much for any xbox stuff right now...

For a ps2 console, use gamestop's trade-in value as a baseline, somewhere between $12 and $25 depending on condition. Be on the lookout for gouged-out screw areas or gaps in the casing on the back--chances are if somebody tried to open it up, they were having problems. In general I hardly ever buy older consoles outside of bundles (the games act as insurance for the console not working) and if it does work I have a shot at selling it for $15-20.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I see Tail Concerto, Chocobo's Dungeon 2 and Parappa The Rapper for PS1 and at least Super Mario World and Wario's Woods for SNES between those two pictures that more than make up the cost for the entire lot.

Considering how much shmucks want around here for any games/game systems I'd kill to get a haul like that, but the flea markets and yard sales around here are largely comprised of people who think old=valuable with everything gaming related.[/QUOTE]

Generally around here when it comes to yard sales, people don't want a lot for their games, if its pre Xbox/PS2 era, the games are gonna be pretty cheap per game. Again I say generally, because last week I ran into a guy selling old genesis sports games for $8 each. But that is not the norm for here and for games that does not happen often. If we are talking PS2/Xbox era its a different story. For other items, that is a different story as well.

I have no idea what planet these people who want $40 for a junky 13 inch color TV are on, but its obviously not the same planet I am on.

The flea is a different story, and don't get me started on that, but basically everything at the flea is overpriced and in bad condition. No one wants old games here, they want the latest madden or halo, and the old games are forgotten about.

Shops that sell old games fold up here, one springs up, one folds, one springs up, one folds. Its not a good business to get into if you are thinking of starting a local business. Shops that have been in business for a long time selling old games are folding (probably due to Gamestop's saturation and the fact that when people think video games here they think Gamestop).

I cannot expect someone to be giving away a large lot of SNES RPG's for 25 cents a game, mostly because well, very few people in my area had a SNES. I find one about every 5 years or more. Bit hard to get that stuff when no one in the area bought it in the first place. This stuff is also getting older, and as it gets older it dries up since there is less of it. With that being said, I appreciate every SNES game I can find for a decent price as long as its not a sports game. Sega genesis, I see at least one every week here, but rarely do they come with good games, or I would buy more. I think its not hard to figure out what happened during the 90's here, everyone bought Sega, and their advertising worked.

Second, no one in my area buys RPG games, especially when it comes to PSX and NES RPG's, again a bit hard to find them when no one originally bought them, and the few people that did know the value of them and have sold them on ebay long ago.

Man you guys realize that games at yard sales are probably gonna eventually dry up, especially when everything goes Digital Distribution and if companies start making games unplayable for those who buy them second hand (Its already starting with the whole pay to download thing). Online play for certain games will die too because the servers won't be up forever, effectively making a lot of games useless, especially those games where the majority is online play. Its pretty dry for NES era stuff already here, very few finds on that stuff. I would enjoy this while you can, because for my area I can definitely see it drying up within my lifetime. I like to think about the future so I can enjoy what I have in the present. The good thing is I don't have to buy any more new systems so I don't have to buy into this stuff because I already have tons of old games that keep me more than busy.

To the person who responded about the PS2 and Xbox, thanks, probably better off with the PS2 if I want to buy one of these, and if I find one at a good price I might buy it. The chances of finding an Xbox for $10 in the wild around here is probably very very slim. Its probably a safer bet with the PS2, I just checked and you can get around $20 on the low side for a broken PS2 console on ebay so if I bought it and paid around that it would be a pretty safe bet cause I could get my money back easily even if the system was broken. Though the fat seems to go for more than the slim if broken. It might also be easier to get a PS2 cheap than an Xbox cause for some reason the Xbox's seem to cost more here.

[quote name='SaraAB']I have a couple questions:

People around here usually want about $50 for each console, and as you guessed, they are not selling, I feel this stuff is very overpriced (much like the $40 13 inch CRT TV's I keep seeing), but I am seeing a lot of it.[/QUOTE]
Definitely check the controller and memory card ports on the PS2 system, as they can sometimes be shot. As for the Xbox, check the same(the memory card slot is on the actual controller as opposed to the system)and be thorough when checking both.

If buying an Xbox from Ebay, ask for a picture of the bottom of the system. If the manufacture date or silver sticker on the bottom are punctured and/or the rubber feet are on there in a weird position or MIA, then that system may well have been opened up to clean the lens of a dying system. Avoid at all costs.

[quote name='SaraAB']
Man you guys realize that games at yard sales are probably gonna eventually dry up, especially when everything goes Digital Distribution and if companies start making games unplayable for those who buy them second hand (Its already starting with the whole pay to download thing). Online play for certain games will die too because the servers won't be up forever, effectively making a lot of games useless, especially those games where the majority is online play. Its pretty dry for NES era stuff already here, very few finds on that stuff. I would enjoy this while you can, because for my area I can definitely see it drying up within my lifetime. I like to think about the future so I can enjoy what I have in the present. The good thing is I don't have to buy any more new systems so I don't have to buy into this stuff because I already have tons of old games that keep me more than busy.

[/QUOTE]

Yeh I've been thinking about that lately. Sooner or later we will have to move on from our materialism. Americans are over saturated with stuff. I see it at ever garage say. I've been thinking of just selling everything and buying a wii and modding it to emulate older consoles. ( just thinking )

BTW saraab do you have a youtube channel ? I thought I saw one with your same tag.

PS2 is definitely your better bet because every once in awhile somebody pulls a collection out of storage and just don't give a crap; they have a job and games aren't a primary source of income for them. It's quite possible to get a PS2 or Gamecube lot with a few rarities and everything else below GS trade-in value when all is said and done (most folks don't keep up with promos either).

The main thing is to have patience and don't throw good money after bad, save your cash for the deals and walk away from overpriced crap.

Last edited:
[quote name='donut']Do you recall when buying this, do the original supplies clean up quite a few discs before needing to buy more?

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

I would reccomend the Simo with some reservation. First off, it is not a miracle worker . . . it is best to think of it as improving discs. So, if you had a very good disc to begin with . . . you can get it to near-mint. If you had a poor disc . . . you might get it up to very good with some work. Getting a poor disc to near-mint might take 30 minutes and a few sets of pads.

The downside with the Simo is that you have to work the machine. I'd be willing to pay $300 for a disc repair system where you put in a poor disc and pulled out a great one. But I haven't seen one. Simo works in one-minute bursts and you have to monitor the disc, pads, and creams. You have to finese it a bit and develop some technique to get the best results. But it works.

I stretch the pads as far as possible . . . so, I think the supplies are reasonable.

The other thing with buying a disc repair machine is the question of use.

For personal use, it might pay to own one over the long haul. If you could set up a disc-cleaning "business" and contract with local libraries, etc. . . . then it would be better to buy a $600-1000 machine for easier use and better results.

I sell a few discs a week and use the machine on nearly a daily basis. It has "rescued" a lot of discs for me. Most of the time, it is stuff that would probably work alright but I get some insurance by polishing it.

Any CD, DVD, or game that I sell will be over $5 in value and I think it helps when a pretty clean disc (in a clean case) arrives.

If I had a place nearby that would resurface discs for .50 each . . . I would do that instead.

The supplies for Simo are cheap. A pair of cleaning pads is about .15 Most times I use only the white pads and I get more than one cleanup out of a pair. The games that I bought last Friday will likely use about .25 each in supplies to get into sellable condition.

If anyone wants more info about how I use the Simo or advice about it, PM me.

[quote name='schultzed']Getting a poor disc to near-mint might take 30 minutes and a few sets of pads.

[/QUOTE]

OK, 30 min. is an exaggeration. I was just using the machine a few minutes ago. Maybe 10-20 min. of work on a seriously bad disc but it feels like forever when you're doing it. You have to stop sometimes . . . if you've spun a disc too many times, it needs to cool.

One thing I learned is to use very little cream . . . a drop or two at a time . . . for best results.

I'll shut up now because I can go on and on with selling and packing tips . . . I've "studied" these issues for years.

One last tip for sellers . . . get a bottle of "Goo Gone" (the yellow/clear citrus stuff) at Home Depot. I use a chopstick (Noodles and Co) to put a drop on price tags and they peel up nice and easy. I also give most books or cases a very light wipe down (w a paper towel). Almost anything tends to jump up a notch with this as a "polish" before packing.

I use goop on adhesives it is non toxic but leaves an oily residue that can be easily whiped off with alcohol. I also like goo gone but not indoors. Petrol based goodness.

I quit using Goo Gone. My wife is a book binder using archival materials and a group of archivists suggested using Lectric Shave (no joke) to remove things like adhesive residue all the way to sharpie. I just recently used it on packing tape on a car that was left there for months, baking in the sun, and poof. No more tape or residue. Best part was that there was no oily residue from Goo Gone. So try it out. Just makes you smell like an old man.

[quote name='TiKi2']Yeh I've been thinking about that lately. Sooner or later we will have to move on from our materialism. Americans are over saturated with stuff. I see it at ever garage say. I've been thinking of just selling everything and buying a wii and modding it to emulate older consoles. ( just thinking )

BTW saraab do you have a youtube channel ? I thought I saw one with your same tag.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, its under SaraAB87 on youtube, mostly videos of arcade games and amusement rides. I add more when I can, but arcades are dead here, there's like 1...

Everyone is REALLY oversaturated with stuff here, I think another problem is no one really gets hand me down's anymore, everyone buys everything new (and usually for full price), if people would give and use hand me downs then it might lessen the junk buildup. The thing is if you have a sale here you might sell a few things, but the majority of it will be leftovers and you will have to deal with that when it doesn't sell. There is a crapload of baby stuff here, because most people buy it new, now I understand you aren't supposed to do that with some things but there are a lot of things you could easily get second hand with no problems. No one wants toys because everyone is overloaded, everyone is overloaded with glassware so no one wants that, the 50 game lot was purchased at 12pm on Saturday... not many people here interested in the old games they want the new stuff, then they toss it out on their lawn a year later.

Back in my day people would hand down things like a bike, and there were few yard sales because most items were kept in the family. Toys and clothing were also handed down, and since it was handed down and the kids were satisfied with pretty much anything new toys only came for birthday and christmas and that was very exciting and you got 1-2 things which was good enough. Now kids get new toys and video games every day, so its nothing special to them since they get brand new expensive toys whenever they ask, and when they become overloaded or outgrow things it all goes out on the lawn for the yard sale to be sold at pennies from what it originally cost.

I live in a welfare area but people spend spend spend and spend some more on their kids especially for toys, the kid wants it the kid gets it, doesn't matter if the parents can afford it the kid still gets it. I constantly hear parents whine about how much they spent on toys or video games and now its not even selling for $1 or 25 cents when they put it on their lawn.

Yes I am guilty too, I am oversaturated with stuff, I am a habitual packrat and a hoarder to some degree, though I have plenty of space to move around so its not like that show, lol. I don't buy stuff unless its really cheap or unless I will use it right away. Though I prefer to only hoard things that have value, I have no problems throwing out stuff that is worthless.

Oh yeah, here are my Saturday finds.

Pretty poor Sat. altogether . . . only a few new sales. I saw some signs for one opening at 9am but it was 8:15. Since they were setting up, I asked about games. Woman came back with this:

She said she was thinking $15 and then her husband says he was thinking $20. I noted the DKC3 and quickly agreed to $15. Amazing how many people buy crappy games. If this were all of their games (who knows if they had others . . . maybe the daughter kept her favs) why buy Open Season and not a Mario title or Zelda?

Then at the end of my day (about 11) I found this:

I offered $10 which was accepted . . . when I pulled out a $20, the old lady didn't have change. So, I pulled together $9 and she took it.

Not only does it have the expansion pak (I took the lid off for the pic) but it came with the original jumper . . . so I could pull the expansion and sell the sys as standard or keep the jumper for one that doesn't have anything in the slot. Has power cord but no TV hookup . . . there is an RF adapter. One of the 5 controllers has a clearly broken stick . . . but the others feel OK. There is also a memory card.

Mario Kart was the only game but at least its a good flip.

[quote name='TiKi2']I use goop on adhesives it is non toxic but leaves an oily residue that can be easily whiped off with alcohol. I also like goo gone but not indoors. Petrol based goodness.[/QUOTE]

I avoid Goof Off (which comes in a little metal can) which is really toxic. The Goo Gone isn't as powerful . . . I use it in the basement and I don't find it leaving fumes.

[quote name='anadune']suggested using Lectric Shave (no joke) to remove things like adhesive residue all the way to sharpie. . . . Best part was that there was no oily residue from Goo Gone. So try it out. [/QUOTE]

I might give the Lectric Shave a try. I found the best way to remove Sharpie is go over it with a dry erase marker . . . it practically erases it (on non-porous surfaces).

But I like the slight sheen that is left (when you wipe off the Goo Gone residue). If you do it right, there is no real residue but a book cover (a glossy paperback or dustjacket) looks brand new. It works for me . . . my feedback is very positive.

[quote name='schultzed']I avoid Goof Off (which comes in a little metal can) which is really toxic. The Goo Gone isn't as powerful . . . I use it in the basement and I don't find it leaving fumes.[/QUOTE]

Heh I use goo gone in my room with the door closed, it doesn't do anything, the smell goes away after an hour or 2, and rarely does it last that long. I have never tried goof off, they are 2 different products. Goo gone residue has always wiped off easily for me, if it leaves any.

[quote name='anadune']I quit using Goo Gone. My wife is a book binder using archival materials and a group of archivists suggested using Lectric Shave (no joke) to remove things like adhesive residue all the way to sharpie. I just recently used it on packing tape on a car that was left there for months, baking in the sun, and poof. No more tape or residue. Best part was that there was no oily residue from Goo Gone. So try it out. Just makes you smell like an old man.[/QUOTE]

As I am currently afflicted with the packing tape baked on my car, I'll be trying this out!! Thanks for the tip!

Wow I just found out I have harvest moon 3 for GBC. It was in a lot of GB games I bought for $1 about a month ago. Has marker all over the label. I also made of a vid of the weekends finds, it is tedious taking pics posting the describing. Quicker with a vid.

[quote name='TiKi2']Wow I just found out I have harvest moon 3 for GBC. [/QUOTE]

I love that sense of discovery. I often turn up something in my basement that is more valuable than I thought.

I was just digging through some books I bought this summer but didn't list . . . NOW is the time check and recheck any textbooks you have . . . SLOWDIVE, this means you.

Here's one that I bought thinking it was worth about $10 (where it was at in June):
http://www.amazon.com/Ways-Religion...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1282094963&sr=1-1
But I decided to hold it and see what it was fetching in mid-August . . . it just sold (within hours of listing) for $35!

[quote name='schultzed']I might give the Lectric Shave a try. I found the best way to remove Sharpie is go over it with a dry erase marker . . . it practically erases it (on non-porous surfaces).

But I like the slight sheen that is left (when you wipe off the Goo Gone residue). If you do it right, there is no real residue but a book cover (a glossy paperback or dustjacket) looks brand new. It works for me . . . my feedback is very positive.[/QUOTE]

Hey g salers, as usual, a pleasure to read all of your adventures.

Any suggestions on how to remove sharpie from surfaces such as labels? I found a few Genesis games with sharpie on the the actual cartridge label....

[quote name='IkilledLassic']Hey g salers, as usual, a pleasure to read all of your adventures.

Any suggestions on how to remove sharpie from surfaces such as labels? I found a few Genesis games with sharpie on the the actual cartridge label....[/QUOTE] No dude you are fucked. It's hit or miss with the labels depending on the ink used when the label was printed.

bread's done
Back