Official 2011-2012 NBA Season thread

[quote name='dmaul1114']The difference here is that the Hornets are currently owned by all the other NBA owners, so they have the say/vote on any moves the Hornets make until the league sells them to a new owner.[/QUOTE]

Do you actually believe this? The NBA owns the Hornets not the owners. The owners have no say in how the league runs the team (hard to believe with what just happened). In any case, I don't think Gilbert and the other small-market owners had the Hornets' best interest in mind when they voiced their complaints. Shame on David Stern for bowing down to the vocal minority.

[quote name='emg28']Do you actually believe this? The NBA owns the Hornets not the owners. The owners have no say in how the league runs the team (hard to believe with what just happened). In any case, I don't think Gilbert and the other small-market owners had the Hornets' best interest in mind when they voiced their complaints. Shame on David Stern for bowing down to the vocal minority.[/QUOTE]

This quote i saw somewhere sums it up

"What makes this even more hilarious is that the league basically undercut the Hornets and left them high and dry. So basically, destroying the value of their own team that they've been trying to find a new owner for."

[quote name='renique46']Just when i thought the Orlando Tragic organization couldn't fail any harder they might actually do that 1 to 1 trade giving up brooke lopez for fucking d12 when Lopez dropped off significantly the past year to the point his own twin brother looked better than him. I guess there getting desperate like Denver did with the Melo situation[/QUOTE]
The deal is better than that... The rumor deal includes two first round draft picks and dumping Hedo (thank god). If Howard wants out, it is best to get something than to just see him walk like Shaq did years ago.

Lopez > Bynum.

Yeah getting Lopez, two first round picks and dumping Hedo and his huge contract is probably about the best deal they're going to get.

I'd maybe see if Minnesota was willing part with Kevin Love and draft picks, but that's unlikely.

Tough to get solid return when you have a star who wants out as teams know the trading team doesn't want to just have them leave at the end of the year and get nothing in return. Especially when the star is demanding a trade to a particular team and saying he'll refuse to sign long term with any other team per this article: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7...lando-magic-trade-new-jersey-nets-sources-say

It still sucks, but if Howard doesn't want to be in Orlando, they have to take the best they can get and try to rebuild. Lopez can at least help lessen to drop off on defense and rebound some, and put up some of the points. Will be up to the guards to make up the rest of the scoring difference. And I think they will--the offense has been way too focused on Howard in recent years with the talent they have had on the perimeter.

[quote name='dmaul1114']

It still sucks, but if Howard doesn't want to be in Orlando, they have to take the best they can get and try to rebuild. Lopez can at least help lessen to drop off on defense and rebound some, and put up some of the points. Will be up to the guards to make up the rest of the scoring difference. And I think they will--the offense has been way too focused on Howard in recent years with the talent they have had on the perimeter.[/QUOTE]

Lopez might be the worst rebounding big man in the league. With that said, the drop off on offense won't be too bad. Plus you can make up some of the rebounding loss if Kris Humphries is included in the trade.

[quote name='kill3r7']Lopez might be the worst rebounding big man in the league. With that said, the drop off on offense won't be too bad. Plus you can make up some of the rebounding loss if Kris Humphries is included in the trade.[/QUOTE]

Trade would apparently just be Lopez and two first round picks.

Magic have some other guys who can help on the boards though. Brandon Bass at the 4 (and Ryan Anderson), young big men in Daniel Orton and Justin Harper.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Trade would apparently just be Lopez and two first round picks.

Magic have some other guys who can help on the boards though. Brandon Bass at the 4 (and Ryan Anderson), young big men in Daniel Orton and Justin Harper.[/QUOTE]

Per Yahoo, Bass just got dealt to Celtics for Glen Davis.

[quote name='kill3r7']Lopez might be the worst rebounding big man in the league. With that said, the drop off on offense won't be too bad. Plus you can make up some of the rebounding loss if Kris Humphries is included in the trade.[/QUOTE]

His lack of rebounding and defensive tenacity may have been related to his case of mono before the season.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']His lack of rebounding and defensive tenacity may have been related to his case of mono before the season.[/QUOTE]

My best friend is a Nets fan so I've seen Lopez play both in person and on TV enough to come to the conclusion that is a very bad rebounder and an avg defender at best. I'll say this about him... he is a very efficient offensive player. In the right system Lopez can avg about 22ppg.

Hornets got the shaft on the trade nullification. It was a chance to get something out of an on-his-way-out Chris Paul. Now it's likely he'll walk at the end of the season and become a Laker anyway leaving the Hornets with neither an all-star player nor rebuilding draft picks.

Stern is really trying hard to keep the small market teams competitive, However, looking at the long-term implications of this decision, it really goes against the grain of that stance.

[quote name='ced']Hornets got the shaft on the trade nullification. It was a chance to get something out of an on-his-way-out Chris Paul. Now it's likely he'll walk at the end of the season and become a Laker anyway leaving the Hornets with neither an all-star player nor rebuilding draft picks.

Stern is really trying hard to keep the small market teams competitive, However, looking at the long-term implications of this decision, it really goes against the grain of that stance.[/QUOTE]

They'll get something for Paul. No way they let him walk. Heck he might still be dealt to LA once D12 is traded somewhere else.

Magic waived Gilbert Arenas under the new amnesty program.

Suns waived Vince Carter--not amnesty, he accepted a $4 million buyout.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Let's be honest. Donuts ended Shawn Kemp's career.[/QUOTE]
Shawn Kemp fact: if you were born after 1990, there is a 17% chance Shawn Kemp is your biological father.

source:http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-7-worst-types-of-pedestrians-to-get-stuck-walking-behind/

I want to thank Stern for not letting the Rockets make a stupid trade for Paula Gasol. Letting the Lakers trade garbage for an in-his-prime Gasol, cash him in for two championships, then flip him for an in-his-prime Chris Paul would have been bad enough, but my Rockets getting stuck with that flopping softie would have been too much to handle.

In other news, I no longer have faith in Daryl Morey to make smart moves for the Rockets if he thought the Gasol trade was a good move.

[quote name='Gentlegamer']Shawn Kemp fact: if you were born after 1990, there is a 17% chance Shawn Kemp is your biological father.

source:http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-7-worst-types-of-pedestrians-to-get-stuck-walking-behind/

I want to thank Stern for not letting the Rockets make a stupid trade for Paula Gasol. Letting the Lakers trade garbage for an in-his-prime Gasol, cash him in for two championships, then flip him for an in-his-prime Chris Paul would have been bad enough, but my Rockets getting stuck with that flopping softie would have been too much to handle.

In other news, I no longer have faith in Daryl Morey to make smart moves for the Rockets if he thought the Gasol trade was a good move.[/QUOTE]

Disagree. Pau Gaosl is still an All Star center. None of the guy Rockets traded are close to an all star.

[quote name='62t']Disagree. Pau Gaosl is still an All Star center. None of the guy Rockets traded are close to an all star.[/QUOTE]
Gasol is a power forward, and is a big softie. I'd rather have Scola. He leaves it all on the court, every single night. All-Star status means nothing to me.

[quote name='62t']Disagree. Pau Gaosl is still an All Star center. None of the guy Rockets traded are close to an all star.[/QUOTE]

It was very risky, Morey planned on getting Nene as well. Would've been the best scoring 4, 5 tandem in the league for sure if it had panned out, but that's really risky in gambling with Nene. He's held onto that cap room for much longer than most GMs would, maybe he's been planning this one a while?

IDK I'm in agreement that the deal wasn't as great as advertised for LA (3 players with bum knees, potentially career changing bum knees?), NO got the best of it (could flip those players as well), and Houston got the worst of it mainly because they only got back one player and gave up 2 guys who can easily avg 20 a game.

And in a not so surprising move, Rip Hamiliton was bought out by the Pistons: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7336792/report-detroit-pistons-richard-hamilton-part-ways

[quote name='dmaul1114']Well, that sucks.[/QUOTE]
Baby is owed 3 mil 0 years left on contract.
Bass is owed 4 mil 2 years left on contract.

The trade makes a little sense given the mood of today with Arenas being cut and Howard wanting out. It should give us some options moneywise, which we haven't had for years.

Baby is a good flopper defender so I don't think there will be too much drop off. Now, let's see if Van Gundy allows him to still bang down low vs trying to convert him to a 3pt shooter.

Gasol is good, but not good enough to lose Scola, Martin, Dragic, and a first round pick. I was thinking maybe they had something else in mind, like making a play for Howard.

[quote name='lordopus99']Baby is owed 3 mil 0 years left on contract.
Bass is owed 4 mil 2 years left on contract.

The trade makes a little sense given the mood of today with Arenas being cut and Howard wanting out. It should give us some options moneywise, which we haven't had for years.

Baby is a good flopper defender so I don't think there will be too much drop off. Now, let's see if Van Gundy allows him to still bang down low vs trying to convert him to a 3pt shooter.[/QUOTE]

Davis S&T'ed, so he has a new contract. 4 years, $26 mil, so...

Baby is owed 26 mil, 4 years left on contract.
Bass is owed 4 mil, 2 years left on contract.

[quote name='docvinh']Gasol is good, but not good enough to lose Scola, Martin, Dragic, and a first round pick. I was thinking maybe they had something else in mind, like making a play for Howard.[/QUOTE]

That may have been it, given the Rockets are one of the teams the Magic are rumored to be considering filing tampering charges against.

Though I did just see that the Magic denied considering tampering charges.

Looks like Vince Carter is coming to Dallas. Sucks that Dallas couldn't bring in Grant Hill instead or along with Carter. They would have fit with their goal of keeping cap room clear and having a solid team for this year.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Apparently that was a bogus report--par for the course with ESPN.

Orlando's GM confirmed he gave permission to Howard's agent to talk to other teams, including the Nets and Lakers.[/QUOTE]

I thought that sounded a little fishy when it was first reported.

ESPN has become a network built on gossip over the past few years. Fox and Yahoo have been running circles around them for a while when it comes to hard hitting news. Anytime it actually looks like they did any work they are just reconfirming shit that someone already confirmed (like what happened with Albert Pujols).

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Looks like Vince Carter is coming to Dallas. Sucks that Dallas couldn't bring in Grant Hill instead or along with Carter. They would have fit with their goal of keeping cap room clear and having a solid team for this year.[/QUOTE]

Glad you guys got him, I thought he was really coming to Chicago.:) Dodged that bullet!

[quote name='docvinh']I thought that sounded a little fishy when it was first reported.[/QUOTE]

Seems now like it was only partly bogus. The Magic only gave permission for Howard's agent to meet with other teams, not Howard himself. Though I don't see what the difference is personally in terms of tampering or not.

[quote name='docvinh']Glad you guys got him, I thought he was really coming to Chicago.:) Dodged that bullet![/QUOTE]

Looks like you guys are going to sign Richard Hamilton.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dmaul1114']Seems now like it was only partly bogus. The Magic only gave permission for Howard's agent to meet with other teams, not Howard himself. Though I don't see what the difference is personally in terms of tampering or not.

[quote name='docvinh']Glad you guys got him, I thought he was really coming to Chicago.:) Dodged that bullet![/QUOTE

Looks like you guys are going to sign Richard Hamilton.[/QUOTE]

I'll take Rip any day over Vince.:) Sad to see how far he has fallen from his heyday.

Now D12 and his agent are granted permission to seek a trade to NJ or LA.....

This league is just going down hill day by day.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Now D12 and his agent are granted permission to seek a trade to NJ or LA.....

This league is just going down hill day by day.[/QUOTE]

Saw Dallas was in there too. Who would they trade for Howard?

[quote name='docvinh']Saw Dallas was in there too. Who would they trade for Howard?[/QUOTE]

Cuban has some belief he can make a run for D12 via trade (Beaubois?) or try his hand in free agency.

Cuban forgot he wasn't in New York or in LA.

LOL @ dumb ass Cuban even thinking he had a shot at D12, like Dwight really wanted to come anyway compared to his other options. I can see the endorsements coming which would be in the form of doing some shitty commercials for local shitty chiropractors that air at 3am in the morning :lol:.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...=aw-wojnarowski_billups_amnesty_waiver_121011

Looks like Billups wants to go to a Contender and i dont blame him one bit for not wanting to be picked up by a garbage team.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Cuban has some belief he can make a run for D12 via trade (Beaubois?) or try his hand in free agency.

Cuban forgot he wasn't in New York or in LA.[/QUOTE]

Don't discount Dallas because it isn't NJ or LA. Both of those franchises have enough question marks to make it less of a slam dunk than it should be. The Mavs have an owner committed to winning, a smart front office, and a great coach. They have the longest current sell out streak in the NBA and Dallas isn't some small town. Jerry West doesn't run the Lakers anymore and the last two titles they won he gets credit for (he gave them Gasol and brought in Shaq and Kobe). Billy King has yet to do anything that would make me think he can craft a contender. Mike Brown and Avery Johnson have yet to show they can perform in pressure situations. Even though they got jobbed in 06, Avery is still partly to blame for that and has to own the 07 debacle. Similarly, Mike Brown has to own what happened with LeBron running Cleveland into the ground.

it's more just that the Mavs are an older team and don't have much to offer in exchange for Howard. So it would have to be a multi-team trade.

Odom's probably buried neck deep in the fat Kardashian crying his eyes out right now.

It'll be nice to see the Lakers lose out on both CP3 and Howard. Or at least giving up Gasol and Bynum for him and Turk. Good times.

Perfect get rid of Odom, now we getting gear up for dwight. Yes,I rather have Gasol than CP3 but I can get behind the idea of gasol for howard.Even better if they get rid of Bynum for howard and keep Gasol:cool::lol:

[quote name='j.t']Perfect get rid of Odom, now we getting gear up for dwight. Yes,I rather have Gasol than CP3 but I can get behind the idea of gasol for howard.Even better if they get rid of Bynum for howard and keep Gasol:cool::lol:[/QUOTE]

I think Howard is going to Jersey myself, but we'll see.

If LA has more appealing assets to Otis then that's where he goes its not up to Howard where he goes this year, if Nets were smart then they would withdraw that offer they supposedly made to Nene and still be in the mix for Howard

[quote name='renique46']If LA has more appealing assets to Otis then that's where he goes its not up to Howard where he goes this year, if Nets were smart then they would withdraw that offer they supposedly made to Nene and still be in the mix for Howard[/QUOTE]

No way Magic make a swap of Bynum and Howard. Gasol has to be coming and/or Turk has to be going for them to go with it. With Bynum's bum knee, they'd be stupid to trade straight up.

Sources say the trade was rejected again rotf thats why La pulled out. If this is true then my god Nba just give it up you arent the Nfl and never will be if you continue to make your league look like a complete joke at this point. Season should have just stayed canceled, with Nfl getting interesting its not like anyone was really missing the Nba THAT much.

Stern might as well come out like this every time he has something to say

http://vimeo.com/33413416

Last edited by a moderator:
As a Magic fan, dealing with the lockout was bad enough. Losing Howard like we lost Shaq many years ago is worse. The Magic have made a lot of stupid trades the past few years to try to keep Howard happy. I don't know if I'll watch basketball this year. After football season, hockey may be my only sport to watch during the winter.

Odom coming to Dallas and not NO is great. It means LA can go get Howard, which means that Deron Williams won't stay in NJ and will get lured back home by Cuban.

[quote name='jbuck138']As a Magic fan, dealing with the lockout was bad enough. Losing Howard like we lost Shaq many years ago is worse. The Magic have made a lot of stupid trades the past few years to try to keep Howard happy. I don't know if I'll watch basketball this year. After football season, hockey may be my only sport to watch during the winter.[/QUOTE]

At least they'll be able to trade him and get some rebuilding pieces rather than just have him walk as a free agent like with Shaq.

If they get Lopez or Gasol at least they keep a solid center (though of course no where near a equal swap) and can focus more on perimeter scoring from Nelson and Redick and Richardson (if they resign him anyway).

bread's done
Back