Official 2011-2012 NBA Season thread

Lopez and Brooks are better on their own than the two players and picks the Magic got.

The other 3 teams in the trade are all playoff teams, and even if they had a bad year the picks are protected!!!

Affalo is making like 8-12 million per year! thats way better than Lopez for the same and Brooks....stupid stupid magic

Im betting Proki would have given him up if that was the missing piece.

Vuvecic and Affalo are 6th man kinda guys, Harkless was drafted higher than he shoulda been. And jolly gee, they are gonna buy out Harrington next year!!!

Thunder model my azz....

Yes!!! I can't believe we even got to keep Pau. Pau and Bynum for Howard would have been too much, imo. Now excited CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!!

ppkzA.png

tumblr_m6q4px0Z4F1rrzzh1.gif

Great trade for 3 out of the 4 teams involved. Lakers get to keep Pau, while Nuggets and Sixers both got better. Magic got hosed and I'm pretty high on Harkless. The three protected first round picks come from three playoff teams hence they are not worth much. Terrible trade for the Magic but maybe they didn't have any other options.

This works for the magic. We wanted to rebuild and this allows us. Gone are the crazy deals of Richardson and Duhon. We have 3 first rounders to work with. Affalo is underrated and should work out well. In the long run this was best for the team.

[quote name='j.t']Yes!!! I can't believe we even got to keep Pau. Pau and Bynum for Howard would have been too much, imo. Now excited CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

2 head cases, an egomaniac, a soft center/pf, and a canadian. Sounds like a championship contender to me!

[quote name='advanced']Three non-lottery first round picks.

The Magic got hosed in this deal.[/QUOTE]

Their fan base should revolt.

They got offered Lopez and Brooks and 3 first rounders from Brooklyn. And Kris Humphries if they wanted him, which for some reason they didn't. The guy is only a beast on the boards.

lol.

[quote name='munch']2 head cases, an egomaniac, a soft center/pf, and a canadian. Sounds like a championship contender to me![/QUOTE]

Funny how half of what you described still managed to win 2 championships in the last 4 years. But if it makes you feel better at night then so be it, cry more though.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I dont think this trade makes them instant champions though. They think there are teams that are still hungrier and more determined to win than the Lakers.[/QUOTE]

I don't either but the Spurs and the Thunder must be thinking WTF right about now. The Lakers are a pretty old team with Kobe (33), Pau (32), Nash (38) and World Peace (32) as starters but they are going to be hungry. Howard will want to play well for obvious reasons, Nash desperately wants that title and Kobe is a ruthless killer all the time. It won't be a cake walk but they have to be the favorites.

Didn't he win 2 titles without Shaq and lose a 3rd finals? Gasol and Bynum are good but he was definitely "the man" on those teams. But I agree - he is one lucky SOB.

Kobe comes off as a total douche but you can't argue with 5 titles, 2 Finals MVPs, an MVP award and like a billion All-Star selections. He's even been first team all-defense like 9 or 10 times. The dude is an all-time great player.

Luck plays a role in sports all the time. If Denver never landed Terrell Davis, Eleay never wins a Super Bowl.

Kobe is an all-time player. You can't dispute that.

What's hilarious to me is how people constantly bitch and moan about the lack of a salary cap in MLB. Yeah, a lot of good the NBA cap has done lately...with more lockouts, I might add.

Number of Different Champions since 1980 (a span of 32 years)

MLB: 19
NBA: 9

I don't know how people can even pretend that the NBA is competitive.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']What's hilarious to me is how people constantly bitch and moan about the lack of a salary cap in MLB. Yeah, a lot of good the NBA cap has done lately...with more lockouts, I might add.

I don't know how people can even pretend that the NBA is competitive.[/QUOTE]

Reiterating what many have said before, the NBA needs a hard cap. That's the only solution.

Looks like a lot of Kobe crying again, thats all i see everywhere. Wah wah Kobe cant do this without this Kobe cant do that without that. When will people give it a rest with this Kobe couldn't do it without "insert player here" nonsense. Everybody has had at least someone when they won a championship.

[quote name='DestroVega']Their fan base should revolt.

They got offered Lopez and Brooks and 3 first rounders from Brooklyn. And Kris Humphries if they wanted him, which for some reason they didn't. The guy is only a beast on the boards.

lol.[/QUOTE]
Why should we? He was going to leave. This is definitely a better deal than NJ. Lopez was hurt last season now with a big contract... no thanks. Brooks wasn't really even in the deal. Humphries is a joke. The 3 first rounders would be low in the first since it would make NJ a playoff team.

The picks in the LA trade (5 total)...
2013 - Second rounder from Denver
2014 - First rounder from Denver or NY
2015 - First rounder from Philly; second rounder from LA
2017 - First rounder from LA (LA will be a shadow of its former self by that time due to age)

Affalo and Harkless both have nice upside. Put in with our draft youth (Nicholson, O'Quinn) and I think this team still has a chance at the playoffs. It is like the old Heart and Hustle team.

-----------------------
Beyond that... enjoy the season where LA meets Miami in the championship. All other teams don't stand a chance. At least College Basketball will be competitive...

[quote name='n8rockerasu']What's hilarious to me is how people constantly bitch and moan about the lack of a salary cap in MLB. Yeah, a lot of good the NBA cap has done lately...with more lockouts, I might add.

I don't know how people can even pretend that the NBA is competitive.[/QUOTE]

Baseball is a hell of a lot different than basketball.

Teams can get by and surprise you with young pitching talent and the top paid players don't always deliver.

In basketball the top paid talent usually dominates lesser paid talent while the talent in baseball can be extremely streaky.

No salary cap would be fucking nuts.

It's just clear the Magic didn't want Lopez or Humphreys and their contracts. The new GM just wanted to ditch contracts (Richardson, Duhon, Turkoglu only has this year left etc.) and start from the scratch with young players and future draft picks (the ones they got and high ones they'll get themselves for sucking the next few years) and free up a lot of cap room for free agents the next few summers.

The only thing Kobe is "Lucky" about is that he plays for the greatest basketball organization, run by an amazing owner since the 80's.

Remember Kobe was drafted by the Hornets. You think his career would of not been different had he stayed there and Jerry West had not seen "Something" in that scrawny 17 year old high school kid and traded for him?

Think both 76ers and Denver got better because of the trade.

That Atlantic division is crazy stacked. Boston, Knicks and Philly and Nets. Wow. Hope Bynum still carries that Boston hate with him to the east. :)

Denver starting line up looks solid too, if both Faried and McGee keep improving, going to be a great young team.

PG - T. Lawson/A. Miller
SG - A. Iguodala/E. Fournier
SF - D. Gallinari/W. Chandler
PF - K. Faried/A. Randolph
C - J. McGee/T. Mozgov

We all knew Orlando was going to end up with the short hand of any trade, so no surprise. They didn't even want Pau because they in tank mode. Still think that houston trade would of been better but whatever.

[quote name='Soodmeg']You win championships with the most dominate center in history, he leaves and you dont even make the playoffs with basically the same team.[/QUOTE]

You and your crazy selective memory again. :lol:

After that 2004 Pistons finals loss with shaq, payton, malone - the only players that where left on the 2005 roster where, Kobe, Luke Walton and Brian Cook. Even Derek Fisher was gone to Golden state and replaced with freaking Smush Parker. :roll:

d470l.jpg

Weird how they didn't include or at least try a separate trade to dump Hedos awful contract

[quote name='Viol8tor']

After that 2004 Pistons finals loss with shaq, payton, malone - the only players that where left on the 2005 roster where, Kobe, Luke Walton and Brian Cook. Even Derek Fisher was gone to Golden state and replaced with freaking Smush Parker. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Lets not forget PJax was burnt out and took the year off and the coach they brought in also left midseason, add the injuries to Odom and Kobe 05 was a wash but oh wait lets fault Kobe cause he didnt make the playoffs after all that happened :roll:

LOSER: The Rockets After getting demolished by The Veto, they spent the last nine months gathering enough assets to land Howard or Bynum and hoping for a situation exactly like the one that played out this week: you know, Orlando finally panicking and needing a third team for their mega-trade. What happened? Philly and Denver snuck in there, leaving Houston GM Daryl Morey with the permanent McKayla's Not Impressed Face. Why did Orlando settle for that Afflalo/Harkless/protected picks package when Houston was willing to recklessly overpay for Howard with young assets AND take on every bad Orlando contract? And while we're here, why didn't Orlando just grab last month's Brooklyn offer of Brook Lopez, MarShon Brooks, one year of Kris Humphries and four unprotected first-rounders for Howard and the same contracts they shed in this four-teamer? Those are two great questions.
So, can you kill Morey for how it played out? Not for going all-in for a chance at Bynum or Howard, that's for sure. He wanted to be on the board if those two chess pieces ever moved … and by the way, they moved. He just didn't get them. But if you wanted to kill the Rockets for (a) turning Goran Dragic into Jeremy Lin, (b) recklessly amnestying Luis Scola when they didn't have to do so, and (c) caring so much about cap space that they amnestied Scola during the same month that they shelled out $25 million to Omer Asik … I mean … (let's just move on).

LOL Houston

[quote name='antlp89']Baseball is a hell of a lot different than basketball.

Teams can get by and surprise you with young pitching talent and the top paid players don't always deliver.

In basketball the top paid talent usually dominates lesser paid talent while the talent in baseball can be extremely streaky.

No salary cap would be fucking nuts.[/QUOTE]

The minor leagues and the fact that major league players are under club control for their first five years also helps add to the diversity of world series winners. Baseball is also much more of a crapshoot regarding the playoffs. The best team in basketball usually wins the title and that happens at a much lower rate in baseball.

[quote name='antlp89']Baseball is a hell of a lot different than basketball.

No salary cap would be fucking nuts.[/QUOTE]

I think you misinterpreted what I was saying. I wasn't advocating for no cap in the NBA. I was just pointing out how absurd it is that people point to other sports as being "more fair" simply because they have a cap. The argument around MLB for a long time has been "with a salary cap, there would be more parity".

But trades like this basically show that teams will "find a way". When it's at the point where you're involving two other teams who are just desperate to dump contracts or load up on draft picks, you can essentially do whatever you want anyway.

[quote name='lordopus99']Why should we? He was going to leave. This is definitely a better deal than NJ. Lopez was hurt last season now with a big contract... no thanks. Brooks wasn't really even in the deal. Humphries is a joke. The 3 first rounders would be low in the first since it would make NJ a playoff team.

The picks in the LA trade (5 total)...
2013 - Second rounder from Denver
2014 - First rounder from Denver or NY
2015 - First rounder from Philly; second rounder from LA
2017 - First rounder from LA (LA will be a shadow of its former self by that time due to age)

Affalo and Harkless both have nice upside. Put in with our draft youth (Nicholson, O'Quinn) and I think this team still has a chance at the playoffs. It is like the old Heart and Hustle team.

-----------------------
Beyond that... enjoy the season where LA meets Miami in the championship. All other teams don't stand a chance. At least College Basketball will be competitive...[/QUOTE]

Keep telling yourself all of that. The bottom line is they took the worst deal of the four possible they were offered since this all started. You think Lopez would have been overpaid? Look at Affalo.

Oh and those picks are all protected lol

Anyone who gives the Magic a dime of their money is basically burning cash.

[quote name='Soodmeg']So what do you guys think stern should do? He nix the cp3 trade fr basketball issues yet this goes through?[/QUOTE]

CP trade got people crazy because the league was running the Hornets.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I think you misinterpreted what I was saying. I wasn't advocating for no cap in the NBA. I was just pointing out how absurd it is that people point to other sports as being "more fair" simply because they have a cap. The argument around MLB for a long time has been "with a salary cap, there would be more parity".

But trades like this basically show that teams will "find a way". When it's at the point where you're involving two other teams who are just desperate to dump contracts or load up on draft picks, you can essentially do whatever you want anyway.[/QUOTE]

The solution is pretty easy. If you place a hard cap there is no way any team could afford more than 2 star players (max salary). Problem solved.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I think you misinterpreted what I was saying. I wasn't advocating for no cap in the NBA. I was just pointing out how absurd it is that people point to other sports as being "more fair" simply because they have a cap. The argument around MLB for a long time has been "with a salary cap, there would be more parity".

But trades like this basically show that teams will "find a way". When it's at the point where you're involving two other teams who are just desperate to dump contracts or load up on draft picks, you can essentially do whatever you want anyway.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree that a salary cap isn't the end all solution but it does help towards balancing the field.

Like you said it seems like in basketball the same top teams in will inevitably find a way rise to the top despite restrictions that supposedly level the field. I think it has to do with the marketing opportunities and lifestyle appeal of the big cities, something the NBA unfortunately has no control over.

I love the diversity of winning teams in baseball and how a team that gets hot towards the playoffs has a legitimate shot at winning the world series. I don't think we'll ever see that in the NBA.

Baseball is different from other sports in that, if you really break it down, it's an individual sport. Pitcher vs Hitter. No other sport of the 4 major sports is like that.

Yeah there is defense but you can ride 3 hot pitchers, even if you have the weakest team out of 8, to a title.

[quote name='DestroVega']And since when are guys who average 14 and 11 in the NBA a "joke"?[/QUOTE]

Don't forget over a block a game. Anybody who would say that's a joke needs to actually watch a basketball game and turn off the reality TV.

[quote name='DestroVega']Keep telling yourself all of that. The bottom line is they took the worst deal of the four possible they were offered since this all started.[/quote]
Again, the goal was to shave contracts and go young. Everybody wants to pull an OKC.

You think Lopez would have been overpaid? Look at Affalo.
Lopez - broke right foot and reinjured it again some games later and was out for the season. Now he is getting 4 years at 61 million. :lol: Yes, overpaying.
Affalo - 7 mil a season (less than Mr. Kardashian Humphries) for a midlevel guy. +

Oh and those picks are all protected lol
Aware of that. Also aware of guys like Roy Hibbert (17), Rajan Rondo (21), Danny Granger (17), Josh Smith (17), Tony Parker (28), Zach Randolph (19), and Gerald Wallace (25)... just to name a few.

And since when are guys who average 14 and 11 in the NBA a "joke"?
It was the fucking NJ Nets... come on man. After this upcoming season, let's see what the guy does. Jay should have dropped him from the team.

Doesn't this kind of suck for the Lakers if Howard doesn't re-sign?

Kobe has already put in the idea that he may retire after his current contract is up or at least leave the Lakers and the NBA. Nash is 38 so I don't know how much he has left in him. Pau and Metta World Peace are both 32 and I don't see either of them being the new centerpiece of the organization once Kobe leaves. How are they going to stay afloat when age catches up to them? At least with Bynum, there was potential to have a long term deal. I feel like it's a pretty big gamble for the Lakers.

On an unrelated note, why don't the Magic try to capitalize on Big Baby? He averaged nearly 20 and 10 when he started for Dwight Howard in the playoffs. He has the ability to be a good center in a league with so few prominent big men, especially in the East. The Bulls have Noah who is not exactly a game changer. The Heat don't even have a defined center, they just have a lot of forwards. The Knicks have Tyson Chandler who is mainly a defensive presence over everything else. And the Celtics have Garnett who isn't getting any younger. The only real big men he has to keep up with is Roy Hibbert (who is the player he averaged the 20-10 on in the Playoffs) and now Andrew Bynum. Maybe I'm just biased because I like Big Baby.

Big Baby is a head case and far too undersized to be a starting center. Power forward maybe, but he's had weight issues for a lot of his career. That contract really doesn't help either as he's grossly overpaid for what he is. He had a great run in the playoffs though, so maybe he's turned a corner? I never hated Baby in Boston, but I am happy he's gone.

It was the fucking NJ Nets... come on man. After this upcoming season, let's see what the guy does. Jay should have dropped him from the team.

You been listening to too much Kanye.

And Lopez would have been traded before he signed that deal, magic wouldn't have had to pay him as much.

Unlike the Miami big three these players will compliment each other on the court it won't take them long to gel. What's the over/under on lobs for dunks nash and howard connect on? If it's like 150 I may take the over.

bread's done
Back