Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

[quote name='ferant316']Get lost. And I don't mean that in a mean-get-out-of-here way. I mean I literally write a list of Craigslist posts for yard sales within a certain area, arrange them to go in sequence to avoid back tracking and I don't use a GPS I just go down random streets following yard sale signs and stop at every single one. Ask the people at the yard sale (customers and the people holding it) if they know of other yard sales in the area, or how to get to the address of the next sale on your list. Sometimes they'll send you to an unadvertised sale (people do these, no CL, Newspaper or even street signs) or just route you down back roads to your next destination where you're more likely to see sales.

Also be nice. A lot of people don't do this, they'll talk crap about how bad/dirty/overpriced stuff is where the owners can hear. Complement them, tell them you're impressed because it must have been hard work, say they have nice stuff, etc. This will get you a long way with getting things not already out, or money off something. ASK. Almost none of the things I bought today were displayed out for sale. Some of my best finds have been asking if they had things and maybe it was in the kid's room and not the garage so it didn't make its way out. The only time to rush from sale to sale is 7am when all the dealers are out.

Also, just venting but I talked a seller down to $15 on an old pre-HDMI flat screen for my little sister which is honestly probably what it was worth. As I'm handing over the money someone comes over steps in front of my outstretched hand with money in it so they're between the seller and I and says "I'll give you $18 for it", and hands them the money while their wife grabbed the TV and ran to their van with it. That's just plain shitty.[/QUOTE]

Good tips, thanks. Issue is I am doing that, in fact today I literally had a list of 12 places I found off CraigsList and the classified and I was nice to everyone :( I also hit up a bunch of unknown ones that I saw while driving around but no luck :(

I am hitting a pretty bad string of bad luck. Tomorrow I'm heading to the flea market, maybe I'll find some gems there.

[quote name='slowdive21']In 20 years of garage saling, I have never seen a Famicom game in the wild. We must not have enough Asians in the midwest. :lol:

That probably sounds racist, but I don't remember Famicom games ever being sold at retail in the midwest and I would imagine they were imported on the coasts.[/QUOTE]

I acquired one a couple of years ago from a guy who had a fairly serious collection, Princess Maker it was called. It probably depends more on whether you have an anime convention presence near you; every once in a while I'll see import stuff but I'm guessing the local demand just isn't there for resale.

There's tons of import stuff floating around NC, you can mostly blame that on the three major military bases in the area (Pope AFB, Bragg, Lejeune). The other major reason is that Buy-Rite was based out of Raleigh - which I'm sure none of you have good things to say about. Their storefront used to have thousands of overpriced imports. When they went out of business, I guess it all got cleared out - so you can find imports at second hand stores here pretty easily.

[quote name='ferant316']I spent 8 hours and went to a little over 100 yard sales, across 15 towns/cities.[/QUOTE]

Wow, so you averaged over 12.5 sales per hour, or more than one every 5 minutes. Do you just, like, fly up their driveway at breakneck speed and poke your head out the window and yell "YOU GUYS GOT ANY CHEAP GAMES?!", then peel out if it looks like they might say no?

[quote name='sevenfold']Wow, so you averaged over 12.5 sales per hour, or more than one every 5 minutes. Do you just, like, fly up their driveway at breakneck speed and poke your head out the window and yell "YOU GUYS GOT ANY CHEAP GAMES?!", then peel out if it looks like they might say no?[/QUOTE]
I take a megaphone with me, pull within 20-30 ft of a sale, announce my presence, and demand they bring any and all video games to my car.

Picked these up Thurs and Friday.

Huge controller lot for 5 bucks. Separated the Nintendo stuff. A ton more other stuff was in the box.

CAM00226.jpg

DS games for $10
$4 for the Ps2 games
N64 Game $1
Book 50 cents
CAM00234.jpg

$5 for the PS2/PS1 games

CAM00238.jpg

[quote name='SaraAB']I don't think $10 for that NES is all that bad, I have definitely seen worse lots go for a lot more than that, if I needed it I would pay $10 and source a power supply later on.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, thats an EASY $30 flip even without the power supply. I always laugh when people say they overpaid but could easily make profit.

90% of people here won't bring out more stuff if you ask, I have tried asking for specifics and it usually doesn't work, it became a waste of time for me to do this. Sometimes people will voluentairly bring out more stuff though when you are buying a lot of one thing, its a you know we have more of those in the house type of thing though.

If you admit to being a collector of something or if you seem overly interested the price might double instantly or they migt say oh this might be worth money I will sell it on ebay instead. A lot of people ask me if I am a collector of video games and its hard to make up an excuse as to why I am buying them if I am not.

[quote name='SaraAB']90% of people here won't bring out more stuff if you ask, I have tried asking for specifics and it usually doesn't work, it became a waste of time for me to do this. Sometimes people will voluentairly bring out more stuff though when you are buying a lot of one thing, its a you know we have more of those in the house type of thing though.

If you admit to being a collector of something or if you seem overly interested the price might double instantly or they migt say oh this might be worth money I will sell it on ebay instead. A lot of people ask me if I am a collector of video games and its hard to make up an excuse as to why I am buying them if I am not.[/QUOTE]

Here is what I have learned to say, I think my age helps give it credit though (twenties). Im trying to get back a lot of the games I had when I was a kid, because I usually would buy 3 games, then after I beat those, trade the 3 in for 1 new game.

Edit: Is it really worth $30? Surprisingly this is actually the first NES Ive found while yardsailing, I don't really know too much about NES values yet as I haven't encountered many games sailing. Didn't know they were that valuable even without a power source. That's good to know.

I went to a flea market today, and found some older stuff, but probably wasn't worth the money, so I moved on, then found a table that had some sports stuff(I'm a huge 49ers fan, and it's hard to find a lot of stuff on the East Coast) with a talking Steve Young statue, a zippo, and the collectors(steel box) set of Star Wars Jedi Knight II(which I forgot came with the first Jedi Knight), for ~30. It might have been too much, but everything was in pretty good shape, except the zippo, which I know I can replace...

Sorry it's not more game based, the one game I wanted, the kid took back just as I was about to make an offer because he "wanted to play it some more". Stupid Kotor always out of my grasp....

[quote name='SaraAB']90% of people here won't bring out more stuff if you ask, I have tried asking for specifics and it usually doesn't work, it became a waste of time for me to do this. Sometimes people will voluentairly bring out more stuff though when you are buying a lot of one thing, its a you know we have more of those in the house type of thing though.

If you admit to being a collector of something or if you seem overly interested the price might double instantly or they migt say oh this might be worth money I will sell it on ebay instead. A lot of people ask me if I am a collector of video games and its hard to make up an excuse as to why I am buying them if I am not.[/QUOTE]

Interesting, that's roughly the opposite of what I do. If they ask I'll tell them that I collect games (as opposed to reselling them), and if they get the dollar sign syndrome I've got no problem informing them that their titles are "fairly common." ;)

However, if they have good stuff or something I want (for example Soul Blazer for the SNES marked at $25), I'll offer $20. A lot of times when I make a few purchases like this it breaks down the seller's resistance and gets them in the mood to bulk sale the rest for much cheaper rate.

Any of these work:

I collect games and I play/keep them, so I don't pay a lot for them.

I'm trying to get the games I sold back in the day...

My brother had this game and I want a copy...

I like the cartridge games that gamestop doesn't take. (This is my favorite/go to line because it devalues the games and states that I am a collector/gamer)

Out of all the years I've been at it this is the first time I ever get any video game stuff for free. Dirty as fucken shit though, but can't complain about free. I'll post a pick later.

When is the best time to sell one of those TI-83? I'm guessing mid august.

Here's one that I know DOESN'T work.

I was at a yard sale where a lady had a nice 1970s Huffy bike with the banana seat, probably worth at least $100. This guy was trying to buy it from her for $30 saying "I would need to make some money off of it". Of course he was denied. He then left in his old, rusty pickup truck that had a pile of bikes in the bed taller than the cab of the truck itself. Does that tactic ever work? I've had people try the same thing when selling one of my old cars. Their costs are not of my concern, either you want it at my price or you don't.

Well I bought Sonic 2 today for the Genesis at the flea market, cart is in good condition with the box and manual. I bought it for $1. Is that a good deal? Lol.

Also is there any reliable places to look up values? most of the stuff I find is crap but if I see something I don't know, I'm really unsure as to what to offer.

[quote name='TiKi2']Out of all the years I've been at it this is the first time I ever get any video game stuff for free. Dirty as fucken shit though, but can't complain about free. I'll post a pick later.

When is the best time to sell one of those TI-83? I'm guessing mid august.[/QUOTE]

Probably August until the early part of the school year. And if you miss that timeframe, I'd say either Early winter(first round of standardized testing) or early spring(second round of them).

[quote name='RenoTurk11']Well I bought Sonic 2 today for the Genesis at the flea market, cart is in good condition with the box and manual. I bought it for $1. Is that a good deal? Lol.

Also is there any reliable places to look up values? most of the stuff I find is crap but if I see something I don't know, I'm really unsure as to what to offer.[/QUOTE]

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/

[quote name='Invicta 61']Here's one that I know DOESN'T work.

I was at a yard sale where a lady had a nice 1970s Huffy bike with the banana seat, probably worth at least $100. This guy was trying to buy it from her for $30 saying "I would need to make some money off of it". Of course he was denied. He then left in his old, rusty pickup truck that had a pile of bikes in the bed taller than the cab of the truck itself. Does that tactic ever work? I've had people try the same thing when selling one of my old cars. Their costs are not of my concern, either you want it at my price or you don't.[/QUOTE]
It works on Pawn Stars and American Pickers. :lol:

I was at a yard sale where a lady had a nice 1970s Huffy bike with the banana seat, probably worth at least $100. This guy was trying to buy it from her for $30 saying "I would need to make some money off of it". Of course he was denied. He then left in his old, rusty pickup truck that had a pile of bikes in the bed taller than the cab of the truck itself. Does that tactic ever work? I've had people try the same thing when selling one of my old cars. Their costs are not of my concern, either you want it at my price or you don't.[/QUOTE]

There is guy around here like that. He tows a trailer and says "Well I wasn't planning on buying furniture today..."

Doesn't usually work in any kind of transaction where the seller already has a target price. I occasionally post on craigslist, though, offering to buy old games/systems/accessories and make it clear that my intentions are to resell most of what I buy. I offer to bring cash to their house or wherever they want to meet me at their convenience in exchange for stuff that GameStop no longer accepts or would only give them pennies for. It works pretty well. I pretty often get people who have stuff left over from garage sales and just assume they were probably asking too much.

[quote name='mguiddy']It works on Pawn Stars and American Pickers. :lol:[/QUOTE]
You say item is priceless and illegal to sell or even possess in the USA? I'll give you $50, I gotta restore it, make money on it, It's a hassle.

[quote name='mguiddy']It works on Pawn Stars and American Pickers. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I think it can work in that setting as there's no sense of illusion there. If you take something to a pawn shop, you know, or at least should know, that the person is buying it in order to make a profit. You bring in a middle man, you get the advantage of selling quick but you also hurt your value. At a garage sale though, or a flea market, or something like that, its a very different situation as they aren't going to a middle man, they are trying to sell it themselves.

I don't think this would work, if a yard sale seller found out you were a reseller then they would probably turn you down quickly since they wouldn't want their stuff going to a reseller. Also the price they charge you may double. People on here have said that those with a scanner or smartphone in hand have been charged higher prices than those who just come around looking for stuff. This applies mostly to sales where things aren't priced. I still think its definitely better to NOT admit to being a reseller.

Its really very simple, if your prices are high, stuff will not sell. If your prices are low, stuff will sell. Doesn't matter who you are selling to, the mom with kids is going to buy more if your prices low, the reseller will buy everything and then you can pack up and have the rest of the day to yourself. I have never seen a yard sale here that has sold everything they had, most are on the second and third day by the time I get there and they still have more than a full load of stuff to sell. I honestly think that if people see high price tags they just walk, they don't even bother to try and talk them down.

The group buying is a sure fire tactic much like the CIF. Pick up everything you want then offer a reasonable price and you will most likely get it. The Assassin's creed games I got yesterday were marked $7 $7 and $5, I said 3 for $15 and it was taken.

I have no intentions of selling the Go Video, I plan on keeping it, as I will probably never see another especially at the price I got it for and its a unique item that I have wanted for a long time.

[quote name='sevenfold']Wow, so you averaged over 12.5 sales per hour, or more than one every 5 minutes. Do you just, like, fly up their driveway at breakneck speed and poke your head out the window and yell "YOU GUYS GOT ANY CHEAP GAMES?!", then peel out if it looks like they might say no?[/QUOTE]

:lol: I think that's what I'll do next week. This week was so many because I went to three Church community sales, which are kinda like a combination yard sale/flea market. They hold them so people that don't have yards/live in apartments can have yard sales. Easy way to hit 15-30 yard sales in one stop in a matter of minutes.

And I left my house at before 6, and didn't get home until 4 but 2 hours of that were spent driving my girlfriend to her sister's house while her car is in the body shop so I only stopped at a minimal amount during the drive so I didn't count that. I do keep a list of every sale I go to, so if its bad, overpriced, etc. I can look back and know to avoid it or if its good make note to go back.

[quote name='Ferrari Racer']HOLY S*** HOLY S***!!! That NES bundle I bought for $15 has DIE HARD!!![/QUOTE]

wow that is lucky. I have the manual and I have been looking for Die Hard and a few other rare NES games.

[quote name='tuffguycore']Probably August until the early part of the school year. And if you miss that timeframe, I'd say either Early winter(first round of standardized testing) or early spring(second round of them).[/QUOTE]

Thanks I'll give it a shot.

[quote name='tuffguycore']Die hard is considered a rare NES game? I need to learn what's what haha.[/QUOTE]
not super rare, but tough to find, especially in the wild

[quote name='Artrigis']Here is what I have learned to say, I think my age helps give it credit though (twenties). Im trying to get back a lot of the games I had when I was a kid, because I usually would buy 3 games, then after I beat those, trade the 3 in for 1 new game.

Edit: Is it really worth $30? Surprisingly this is actually the first NES Ive found while yardsailing, I don't really know too much about NES values yet as I haven't encountered many games sailing. Didn't know they were that valuable even without a power source. That's good to know.[/QUOTE]

I can't imagine you'd get that much for a nes incomplete... $10-$15 imo..
maybe an snes but without power.. even that's a stretch...
track down a cheap power supply and then you might get $25-$30
GL either way... hope I'm wrong...

[quote name='donut']I can't imagine you'd get that much for a nes incomplete... $10-$15 imo..
maybe an snes but without power.. even that's a stretch...
track down a cheap power supply and then you might get $25-$30
GL either way... hope I'm wrong...
[/QUOTE]

That didn't sound right to me so I spent about 4 seconds checking Amazon (here is a link for you). The cheapest used NES as I write this is over $50 with no power cord and the description says the console needs a new 72-pin.

I wouldn't personally pay that much, but that doesn't mean someone else wouldn't.

[quote name='sevenfold']That didn't sound right to me so I spent about 4 seconds checking Amazon (here is a link for you). The cheapest used NES as I write this is over $50 with no power cord and the description says the console needs a new 72-pin.

I wouldn't personally pay that much, but that doesn't mean someone else wouldn't.[/QUOTE]

check what has sold ...
like this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-NE...0628650536?pt=Video_Games&hash=item564b306628

and now factor in (subtract) the fees

Amazon? well, I would hesitate to sell an incomplete system on EBay and even more so Amazon... I'd just stick locally with craigs...oh and now there is a complete one on Amazon with a game for $39 (which means about $30 net - extra shipping over what they allow - $3.99)

Sorry, but sellers can ask for the moon, always search what has sold and then subtract fees and now with EBays new shipping ceilings, how much more you may pay to ship...

again, I hope you get $30

[quote name='donut']
Amazon? well, I would hesitate to sell an incomplete system on EBay and even more so Amazon... I'd just stick locally with craigs...oh and now there is a complete one on Amazon with a game for $39 (which means about $30 net - extra shipping over what they allow - $3.99)[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure it's technically against the terms to sell an incomplete system on Amazon.
Amazon is pretty strict in regards to it's used conditions. If something is missing anything that makes it unusable (power/av cable) it would be Used-Unacceptable, which means you can't sell it.
I've heard about someone selling, I think a router, several years ago without a power cable, clearly stating in the description that it didn't have a power cable and marking the price as such, but the buyer complained and pretty much screwed the seller out of money and item.

[quote name='mguiddy']I'm pretty sure it's technically against the terms to sell an incomplete system on Amazon.
Amazon is pretty strict in regards to it's used conditions. If something is missing anything that makes it unusable (power/av cable) it would be Used-Unacceptable, which means you can't sell it.
I've heard about someone selling, I think a router, several years ago without a power cable, clearly stating in the description that it didn't have a power cable and marking the price as such, but the buyer complained and pretty much screwed the seller out of money and item.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya... but there is an nes on there now (which doesn't mean it will sell or not have the issues you describe...) Nothing is worse than having a dissatisfied Amazon buyer... hence why I would just opt for craigs...

[quote name='ferant316']So then after going to a lot of sales and completely striking out I had one more on the way home that advertised "Playstation Games" that their son left behind when moving to college. They weren't high on my priority list because I figured they'd be PS1 sports titles or something if a gamer left them behind. So I got there and there were no Playstation games to be found, so I ended up asking. Apparently it rained pretty hard while they were setting up, and worried about more rain they were only selling the stuff that was already wet. The mother ran into her house to grab the box and brought it to me:
DSCF1402.jpg

She said "These must be pretty bad games if my son left these behind because he took pretty much everything, so I just priced them a quarter a CD"

I did end up giving her $5 because I only had $3 left in $1's and I have to have some kind of a conscience, right?[/QUOTE]

You did nothing wrong and I would've done the same . . . but can you imagine when the son finds out.

"Mom, have you seen that little box of Playstation games that I left in my room?"

"What do you mean, you sold them?"

"Jesus, I told you I was getting rid of all the rest but this little box was going to stay here."

"Those were my favorites . . . I'll have to replace them . . ."

"SO, how much did you get for them?"

"$5 fucking dollars . . . Mom you can be such a moron!"

How much should I pay for a Dreamcast in great condition with 2 controllers, all the cords and one game (not sure what game). He is asking for $25 and will have it for me tomorrow. Was seeing if I should go lower. He also has a Sega Saturn with the same (2 controllers and cords and a game) for $25.

Also what is a good price to pay for a Sega Genesis with 2 controllers, all the cords and Sonic the Hedgehog? He is asking for $30.

Also- (lol sorry, figured I'd ask on 3 three)- SNES with 2 controllers, all cords and a random SNES game. He was asking for $30.

Not sure if I should bite or not. I feel so lost :(

Thanks guys. It was funny bc I was talking to one of the vendors at the flea market I went to today and he said he actually goes very early in the morning and actually buys all the other vendors games (at 6 AM!) and then resells them at his stand! That sucks ;(

[quote name='donut']check what has sold ...
[/QUOTE]

Stuff on Amazon DOES sell, even if it's more expensive than the same item on eBay.

Besides, finding an example of something selling for way below (or above) it's market price isn't exactly hard. There are plenty of similar auctions that ended much higher. Here is an auction for two broken consoles (no cords, just the broken consoles) that sold for $27 + shipping.

[quote name='mguiddy']I'm pretty sure it's technically against the terms to sell an incomplete system on Amazon.
[/QUOTE]

Considering there are at least two sellers selling used N64 consoles fulfilled by Amazon that are console only I think it's safe to assume that rule isn't strictly enforced.

I think we also all know by now that Amazon's rules on things like that are completely irrelevant. If a buyer wants to screw a seller out of their item and get their money back an A-Z claim will accomplish that about 99% of the time whether a rule was broken or not.

When I was fairly new to Amazon I sold a copy of Luigi's Manson that looked absolutely pristine, tested it myself before shipping it, and about 3 1/2 weeks after it arrived and the woman had already left me positive feedback she filed an A-Z claim. I wrote her about half a dozen emails offering a refund if she'd send the item back to me all of which she ignored, and Amazon ended up refunding her money and eating the cost themselves without making me pay it. I was pretty stunned but that's just how they do things. Knowing what I know now, I just feel lucky they didn't make me pay it.

[quote name='sevenfold']Considering there are at least two sellers selling used N64 consoles fulfilled by Amazon that are console only I think it's safe to assume that rule isn't strictly enforced.

I think we also all know by now that Amazon's rules on things like that are completely irrelevant. If a buyer wants to screw a seller out of their item and get their money back an A-Z claim will accomplish that about 99% of the time whether a rule was broken or not.

When I was fairly new to Amazon I sold a copy of Luigi's Manson that looked absolutely pristine, tested it myself before shipping it, and about 3 1/2 weeks after it arrived and the woman had already left me positive feedback she filed an A-Z claim. I wrote her about half a dozen emails offering a refund if she'd send the item back to me all of which she ignored, and Amazon ended up refunding her money and eating the cost themselves without making me pay it. I was pretty stunned but that's just how they do things. Knowing what I know now, I just feel lucky they didn't make me pay it.[/QUOTE]
True... Amazon's seller support is basically a random number generator as to how they decide cases.
Just saying I see selling something with missing power cables is asking for a claim.

[quote name='SaraAB']A lot of people ask me if I am a collector of video games and its hard to make up an excuse as to why I am buying them if I am not.[/QUOTE]
I just tell the truth. I can't recall a time when that has ever caused someone to change their prices. Most people just ask why I collect them, so I explain that I simply like games and I'm trying to track down a lot of the old ones that I don't have. You don't need an elaborate story or anything. You could just say that someone gave you an old console and now you're trying to find games for it.

[quote name='Artrigis']Edit: Is it really worth $30? Surprisingly this is actually the first NES Ive found while yardsailing, I don't really know too much about NES values yet as I haven't encountered many games sailing. Didn't know they were that valuable even without a power source. That's good to know.[/QUOTE]
I don't know if it's worth $30, but $10 is definitely a good price for all of that stuff. I thought you were going to say you paid that much for one of the games. And for what it's worth, not many people take their retro games sailing because the moisture can cause rust.

[quote name='donut']and now factor in (subtract) the fees[/QUOTE]
In all fairness, they don't charge very much if you don't get the extra bells and whistles. And if you've been selling long enough, you don't pay a listing fee.

Last edited by a moderator:
found this awesome looking action figure at one house $2

IM000227.jpg

and from another house

paid $6 for this stuff

n64 console w/ 2 controllers
grey contoller and green controller
n64 brand rf modulator

9 games

California speed
ken griffy
madden 2001
nba court side
turok - rage wars
waverace
wresltmania 2000
wcw nitro
xena

from a different house

chihuahua dog was 50 cents

you put it on your leg and it humps you

IMG_1393.jpg

[quote name='sevenfold']Stuff on Amazon DOES sell, even if it's more expensive than the same item on eBay.
[/QUOTE]

That Amazon price seems higher than in the past. At $50, I've got to put together some systems. I try to only sell working systems with hookups on Amazon (you can pick up replacement parts pretty cheap). I find that you can get a system with cords and controllers and a few pack-in games (junk) into a flat-rate Priority box . . . so you know your costs up front.

Amazon is often higher in value than ebay. For most customers, its like the difference in shopping at Wal-Mart vs. Target or Aldis vs. a real grocery store. The Amazon buyer will pay more just doesn't they want to deal with ebay anymore.

BTW, if you put a nice and well-described system out on Amazon at around the market low price . . . it will sell within a day.

[quote name='schultzed']That Amazon price seems higher than in the past. At $50, I've got to put together some systems. [/QUOTE]

I know right , I was thinking the same thing. I got a few to get rid.

[quote name='RenoTurk11']How much should I pay for a Dreamcast in great condition with 2 controllers, all the cords and one game (not sure what game). He is asking for $25 and will have it for me tomorrow. Was seeing if I should go lower. He also has a Sega Saturn with the same (2 controllers and cords and a game) for $25.

Also what is a good price to pay for a Sega Genesis with 2 controllers, all the cords and Sonic the Hedgehog? He is asking for $30.

Also- (lol sorry, figured I'd ask on 3 three)- SNES with 2 controllers, all cords and a random SNES game. He was asking for $30.

Not sure if I should bite or not. I feel so lost :(
[/QUOTE]

Have 3 $20s and try to CIF $60 for all (Cash In Face). Have 5 singles in your pocket and make $65 your walkaway point.

bread's done
Back