Official CAG Destiny Thread - Rise of Iron

Forgot to mention something from last night.  It was kind of annoying, but at least for once I was on the positive side of things.  I had one guy who kept lagging every time we would hit a gate in SRL.  His lag would cause him to hit me and throw me completely off course.  I would correct, catch up, then get thrown off again.  So instead of fighting it I took IO's advice and went for my speed bump kills.  I managed to finish off the SRL section of my record book, but also ended up with a DNF.  As a reward for my failure to finish I got an exotic thanks to my three of coins.  Then get to the results screen and only one person got any non-blue drops... me.  Not only did I get a level 400 chest armor but also 400 primary!  So three great drops for not finishing and the people who raced got nothing.

Got one Nightfall in about 30 minutes before reset.  The timed Nightfall bounty reward was utter crap: some FWC fusion rifle.  And no that was not the Nightfall reward itself (that was an auto rifle).  I did not get the Icebreaker quest triggered from it either so I have no idea how to get that.  I only have one more thing in my quest book left to do (the stupid super kills medals - I'm at like 5 of 50).  Do I need to complete that first?  The guys I was with were talking about getting Icebreaker done on their alts and that was why they did this last Nightfall.  So I don't understand the connection.

From the Heroic I finally got a piece of Dawning armor: the snowflake Warlock bond.  I guess that is nice, but I already have my awesome Omnigul bond and I rarely use anything else.

If anyone wants to run this week's Nightfall I'll be on late tonight (after 11pm Pacific probably).

Last edited by a moderator:

Got one Nightfall in about 30 minutes before reset. The timed Nightfall bounty reward was utter crap: some FWC fusion rifle. And no that was not the Nightfall reward itself (that was an auto rifle). I did not get the Icebreaker quest triggered from it either so I have no idea how to get that. I only have one more thing in my quest book left to do (the stupid super kills medals - I'm at like 5 of 50). Do I need to complete that first? The guys I was with were talking about getting Icebreaker done on their alts and that was why they did this last Nightfall. So I don't understand the connection.

From the Heroic I finally got a piece of Dawning armor: the snowflake Warlock bond. I guess that is nice, but I already have my awesome Omnigul bond and I rarely use anything else.

If anyone wants to run this week's Nightfall I'll be on late tonight (after 11pm Pacific probably).
I just got that omnigul bond tonight. The snowflake one is the only armor piece I've picked up out of four packages.

I think icebreaker is random from turning in weekly bounties. Kind of like year one.

I'm not sure what triggers the supers. I'm at about 40 right now. I was using bad juju to generate supers as fast as I could. I would see medals pop up when I used them. Then I'd check the book and it wouldn't budge. It's the last one I have left too.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Yep you can get The Icebreaker from turning in the "Sunrise" weekly Nightfall strike bounty. It will come as a reward directly and there is quest for it.

Yep you can get The Icebreaker from turning in the "Sunrise" weekly Nightfall strike bounty. It will come as a reward directly and there is quest for it.
I see but it is not guaranteed then I guess? I only did one of those so far - I really hate using LFG at all any more but I did it last night to get at least one of them in. I'd like to get all 3 this week.

I completed my rank S license today and the immediate reward was crap: the circuit helmet which I instantly deleted (it is the beige one and you can get it again from the kiosk anyway). But you do get an emblem and shader from Amanda. I think I already had the emblem - or it looks a lot like last year's final reward one in any case. I'll have to check the kiosk. But the shader (Ghast) is pretty cool and I'm glad I got that.

I hopped on around 7pm Pacific and just as I suspected, the racing was MUCH easier then. I won 2 out of 4 races whereas late at night I might win 1 in 10 or 15. I actually got the wins knocked out before I did the 3 races without dying. Then I won again while getting that done.

So I'm just going to race on my other two characters to get the other two Dawning treasure rewards and whatever 400 light items I can pull as rewards. I wish the SRL ornaments did more than they do. I've gotten several of those as rewards but all they do is slightly modify the Speeder gear to look like last year's "Bright" and "Jade Rabbit" sets. But I kind of like the Speeder set as it is a little better. At least I was able to delete my two full sets of last year's stuff when I saw what the Speeder set was like.

I see but it is not guaranteed then I guess? I only did one of those so far - I really hate using LFG at all any more but I did it last night to get at least one of them in. I'd like to get all 3 this week.

I completed my rank S license today and the immediate reward was crap: the circuit helmet which I instantly deleted (it is the beige one and you can get it again from the kiosk anyway). But you do get an emblem and shader from Amanda. I think I already had the emblem - or it looks a lot like last year's final reward one in any case. I'll have to check the kiosk. But the shader (Ghast) is pretty cool and I'm glad I got that.

I hopped on around 7pm Pacific and just as I suspected, the racing was MUCH easier then. I won 2 out of 4 races whereas late at night I might win 1 in 10 or 15. I actually got the wins knocked out before I did the 3 races without dying. Then I won again while getting that done.

So I'm just going to race on my other two characters to get the other two Dawning treasure rewards and whatever 400 light items I can pull as rewards. I wish the SRL ornaments did more than they do. I've gotten several of those as rewards but all they do is slightly modify the Speeder gear to look like last year's "Bright" and "Jade Rabbit" sets. But I kind of like the Speeder set as it is a little better. At least I was able to delete my two full sets of last year's stuff when I saw what the Speeder set was like.
I like the jade rabbit set since it has the most variety of color with the different shaders.

I like the jade rabbit set since it has the most variety of color with the different shaders.

I was playing around with it last night and the default no ornament seems the best to me. Both Jade Rabbit and Bright add black sections that take no color. But Jade Rabbit is definitely better than Bright.

I hit rank 5 on my Hunter last night and got the Prismatic sparrow, so that was kind of cool.

Then after reset I did the heroic on my Warlock and got the Crystalline boots... Yeah, great, boots. At least it was something I suppose. So now I have the bond and boots from that set. The bond, by the way, has no base stats even after infusing! I thought that was odd. It has upgrade nodes and I haven't unlocked them yet but I think it will be low like the older ghost shells.

The bond, by the way, has no base stats even after infusing! I thought that was odd. It has upgrade nodes and I haven't unlocked them yet but I think it will be low like the older ghost shells.
That confused me at first, too, but it's a glitch. There are stats; it's just not showing up when you hover over the item. When I inspect my hunter's snow angel cloak, I see the intellect/discipline nodes there though.

From Bungie's latest update: "The Legendary Dawning Class Items do not display Intellect, Discipline, or Strength stat values in either their tooltip or Details screen. All stats values are applied normally."

This event has been kind of a bust for me.  I really do not care that much about the SRL.  It is a fun diversion but after about 5-10 races I do not have any desire to play it any longer.  Only reason I kept playing was to get the 25 for the record book.   :beer: .

The strike scoring is ok, but after I filled up the record book portion of that in week 1 I didn't even touch the game last week other than to check Xur and grab the lame presents each day.  Didn't even bother with the Nightfalls.  I did do one NF this week and might end up doing 2 more just to get the bond and another Grasp of Malok.  Not even thinking about the icebreaker based on the VoG level drop rates on it.  

I have 2 more Heroic Siva strikes and 4 more Trials tickets and I will have the record book done.  Might run those Trials tonight if anyone wants to, if not I'll just LFG it when I get some time.

I agree, SRL just doesn't do it for me.  I should love it for so many reasons, but it's just 'meh'.  Strike scoring is surprisingly interesting, but not enough to keep me engaged on a regular basis. 

I was a huge IB fan back in the day, but yeah, those VOG drop rates are for the birds. 

What's everyone been up to other than Destiny?  I'm really digging Final Fantasy XV (playing on PS4) lately. 

I agree, SRL just doesn't do it for me. I should love it for so many reasons, but it's just 'meh'. Strike scoring is surprisingly interesting, but not enough to keep me engaged on a regular basis.

I was a huge IB fan back in the day, but yeah, those VOG drop rates are for the birds.

What's everyone been up to other than Destiny? I'm really digging Final Fantasy XV (playing on PS4) lately.
I'm doing a horrible job of juggling between Destiny, FFXV, and Diablo 3 (of all games)...

I'd like to finisht the SRL quest line for my 2nd/3rd characters, or at least finish out the new record book, but I'm not sure I have it in me. :)

I'm doing a horrible job of juggling between Destiny, FFXV, and Diablo 3 (of all games)...

I'd like to finisht the SRL quest line for my 2nd/3rd characters, or at least finish out the new record book, but I'm not sure I have it in me. :)
I'm juggling FF XV, Skyrim, and now Dragon Quest Builders. Destiny has lost out to all that ;).

I'll run the Heroic every week to get the Dawning treasure and maybe some Nightfalls - but then that requires LFG and that sucks. If you want to run them again like last week, though, let me know. I'm up for it any time.

No posts here in 2 weeks!  It looks like Iron Banner is back (with Clash) if anyone cares.   I jumped in for a couple of matches last night and surprised myself with being able to go positive on my K/D despite not having played much of Destiny the last 2 months and almost no multiplayer games of any sort for longer than that.  I'm also playing on a different TV (that seems to have more lag) with a different controller (new Xbox slim) and on a different couch ;).  Seriously, though, I'm playing downstairs and the TV is mounted high which I think will limit my Destiny sessions.  I don't seem to have a problem playing something like Skyrim, but with Destiny I get cramped and uncomfortable much faster than I used to.  I think looking upwards too much plus the stress of multiplayer (I tend to grip the controller much more and not relax my shoulders) means I'm only good for a few matches at a time.

I got a new emblem as a match reward so that must have been added in.  I also completed the Dawning book or whatever it is after getting a few super kills on the Heroic.  So I got that last reward (also an emblem) too.  I still need to finish the Rise of Iron book with my major item there being a couple more Trials cards that I need to complete.  The thought of doing that makes me sick though.  I also want that stupid bell trophy but am not happy about that either as it clearly just doesn't want to work for me (tried it twice already) :bomb:.

No posts here in 2 weeks! It looks like Iron Banner is back (with Clash) if anyone cares. I jumped in for a couple of matches last night and surprised myself with being able to go positive on my K/D despite not having played much of Destiny the last 2 months and almost no multiplayer games of any sort for longer than that. I'm also playing on a different TV (that seems to have more lag) with a different controller (new Xbox slim) and on a different couch ;). Seriously, though, I'm playing downstairs and the TV is mounted high which I think will limit my Destiny sessions. I don't seem to have a problem playing something like Skyrim, but with Destiny I get cramped and uncomfortable much faster than I used to. I think looking upwards too much plus the stress of multiplayer (I tend to grip the controller much more and not relax my shoulders) means I'm only good for a few matches at a time.

I got a new emblem as a match reward so that must have been added in. I also completed the Dawning book or whatever it is after getting a few super kills on the Heroic. So I got that last reward (also an emblem) too. I still need to finish the Rise of Iron book with my major item there being a couple more Trials cards that I need to complete. The thought of doing that makes me sick though. I also want that stupid bell trophy but am not happy about that either as it clearly just doesn't want to work for me (tried it twice already) :bomb:.
I haven't felt the need to jump on other than my weekly package drop. Still chasing this hadron boota that I can't get from the forge.

Played my 15-16 matches to finish the four IB bounties and get to Rank 3 so I could buy the armor pieces since they had 100% rolls.

My bounty rewards really sucked got two bonds from the gear bounties and a AR and MG from the weapon ones.

Ended up with 3 sidearms, 3 artifacts, 1 ghost, and 1 RL as post game rewards.

I don't play as much anymore either just do the NF and some strikes and whatever the weekly crucible mode is.

I still have been checking on Fridays to see what Xur is selling and pick up some of the free packages, but I haven't played in a few weeks.  Not even to get the free treasure from doing a heroic strike.  The Rank 5 Iron Banner weapon is the sidearm, which I would actually like to get, but I'm not going to play enough to get to rank 5 this week.

If you still want to do those trial cards io, I would be down to finish them since I need a few more as well to finish the record book.  

I actually do have 2 friends who are interested in doing the newest raid if anyone is interested in helping out sometime.  If not we can probably LFG a group.

The Rank 5 Iron Banner weapon is the sidearm, which I would actually like to get, but I'm not going to play enough to get to rank 5 this week.
The sidearm can drop as a post-game reward. My friend and I both got one after our very first game last night. Buying it at rank 5 gives you the vendor version. The post-game one can have different perks and elements.

If you still want to do those trial cards io, I would be down to finish them since I need a few more as well to finish the record book.

I actually do have 2 friends who are interested in doing the newest raid if anyone is interested in helping out sometime. If not we can probably LFG a group.
Yeah I'm up for it just let me know.

So is anyone coming back to play next week for the new update or is it officially DOA?
I might check it out. But I feel it is so hard to get a decent raid group together, let alone for hard raids. Plus between Zelda and Mass Effect I have plenty of new content to play in other games.

I'm sure I'll log on to check out the record book, but I'm afraid that Destiny in its current form doesn't hold my interest.  It's a shame because I still love the game, but after three years, it's time for a "new games" worth of new content.  I don't feel like running VoG or CE again for guns I got years ago.  At this point, I'm looking forward to D2 while I enjoy the heck out of Mass Effect and Horizon while Zelda sits patiently on my shelf. 

I am sure I will log in to check out the latest record book, but I am all about Mass Effect right now.  At some point II am sure I will get into one of the revised raids, but that will be more to be social than it will be a quest for new gear.

I think the biggest problem for me is I know anything I earn won't carry forward. So what is my incentive to re-do old content?

My plan is just to try out the new raids to see what the new mechanics are and what the new challenges are.  Don't really care for the weapons or armor though they are nice.  Definitely no grinding from me.  Not just because the stuff won't carry over, but because I'm done with the grinding, too.

I have a regular crowd of folks I would play the game with, but when we try raid stuff we just crumble.  We would fail for an hour, and then someone would have to leave, etc.  Most of this new content is centered around the raids, so while it's neat and I applaud Bungie for putting forth the effort, I this will probably be another Record Book that I don't complete.

861.62MB update for Destiny.  They changed the splash screen image...and I think the opening music is back to the original?  I don't remember. :p

EDIT:

106llhc.jpg

My group did the Deathsinger challenge last night and once you have the timing and assignments worked out, it is really pretty simple.  However, while much of the CE raid is improved, I think that the Crota encounter itself has been over-complicated.  Upping the light level, adding wizards to towers and removing the ledge in front off the glass are all changes I can get on board with.  But the Oversoul triggering after every sword damage sequence?  It just felt like Bungie went a little too far with that and it crossed the line from "challenging" to "annoying."

It just felt like Bungie went a little too far with that and it crossed the line from "challenging" to "annoying."
I would say the same with a lot of the other tweaks they have made. The Vault of Glass raid already has the new mechanics in place (just not the new light level loot or challenge modes yet) and what people have reported sounds like Bungie just looked at player data, saw how people were playing, then added invisible walls or mechanics to force people to play differently instead of adding actual innovative and interesting gameplay. So dumb, imo. They take the fun out of everything.

It's the same way they keep tweaking the PvP meta. Too many people using autorifles --> nerf autorifles. Few months later: now it looks like everyone has moved on to handcannons --> nerf handcannons. Now people have moved to using pulse rifles --> nerf pulse rifles.

Like you said, the things they add are not "challenging" -- they are deliberately frustrating. I'll probably still play D2, but I have no respect for Bungie at all.

I'm to the point now where I can't even bring myself to look for a raid group. I hopped on this week for the first time in a month and a half and did a few things but that was all I could muster. Knowing I would have to dedicate 2-3 hours to raiding I just couldn't do it.

The new trailer was fun.  I like the set up of the story and the shot of your loot vault getting destroyed.  Not gonna lie:  Already put in my pre-order.  Gary and the rest of his cronies will pay for the destruction of my hard-earned loot.

The new trailer was fun. I like the set up of the story and the shot of your loot vault getting destroyed. Not gonna lie: Already put in my pre-order. Gary and the rest of his cronies will pay for the destruction of my hard-earned loot.
I pre-ordered both expensive versions at GS so I can convince myself that I need/can live without the $250 CE. I'm starting to lose track of all my preorders. :D

This is by far the longest I haven't touched Destiny - I don't even know how many months it has been.  Hell, I haven't even fired up my Xbox One (or any other console) in weeks.  And for the first time in a while, I wasn't even interested in the new Nintendo console.  I'll wait for a bundle/price drop this time.  I'm mostly just watching Netflix and HBO now, with a little mobile gaming thrown in (Pokémon Go and Fire Emblem).  Maybe I'm finally getting old ;).

I wouldn't have even known Destiny 2 was coming so soon if it wasn't for calling a few Gamestops while I was on vacation looking for a Pokémon Go Plus for my son.  They mentioned you could preorder Destiny 2 when I called and I was like, "Oh yeah, that is a thing".

I probably will pick up Destiny 2, but I can't see myself going back to the old game at this point.  We are sure that nothing carries over, right?  That just kills it for me.  Before that, what killed it was the super-low drop rate of good items through whatever packages you get from the Heroic.  I wasn't ever going to put together a set of the new armor, so what was the point.  And before that, raids and even Nightfalls (and thus, the too-low chance for the Icebreaker quest) were out of reach because no one was playing any more.

So can someone summarize the different versions of Destiny 2.  Which one is the best value in your opinion?

This is by far the longest I haven't touched Destiny - I don't even know how many months it has been. Hell, I haven't even fired up my Xbox One (or any other console) in weeks. And for the first time in a while, I wasn't even interested in the new Nintendo console. I'll wait for a bundle/price drop this time. I'm mostly just watching Netflix and HBO now, with a little mobile gaming thrown in (Pokémon Go and Fire Emblem). Maybe I'm finally getting old ;).

I wouldn't have even known Destiny 2 was coming so soon if it wasn't for calling a few Gamestops while I was on vacation looking for a Pokémon Go Plus for my son. They mentioned you could preorder Destiny 2 when I called and I was like, "Oh yeah, that is a thing".

I probably will pick up Destiny 2, but I can't see myself going back to the old game at this point. We are sure that nothing carries over, right? That just kills it for me. Before that, what killed it was the super-low drop rate of good items through whatever packages you get from the Heroic. I wasn't ever going to put together a set of the new armor, so what was the point. And before that, raids and even Nightfalls (and thus, the too-low chance for the Icebreaker quest) were out of reach because no one was playing any more.

So can someone summarize the different versions of Destiny 2. Which one is the best value in your opinion?
come play mass effect mp with us

come play mass effect mp with us
You know, a few years ago I would have preordered that and been all over it. Now I'm like "meh" on that as well. I will get it eventually though. At this point I have to wait for a sale ;).

This is by far the longest I haven't touched Destiny - I don't even know how many months it has been. Hell, I haven't even fired up my Xbox One (or any other console) in weeks. And for the first time in a while, I wasn't even interested in the new Nintendo console. I'll wait for a bundle/price drop this time. I'm mostly just watching Netflix and HBO now, with a little mobile gaming thrown in (Pokémon Go and Fire Emblem). Maybe I'm finally getting old ;).

I wouldn't have even known Destiny 2 was coming so soon if it wasn't for calling a few Gamestops while I was on vacation looking for a Pokémon Go Plus for my son. They mentioned you could preorder Destiny 2 when I called and I was like, "Oh yeah, that is a thing".

I probably will pick up Destiny 2, but I can't see myself going back to the old game at this point. We are sure that nothing carries over, right? That just kills it for me. Before that, what killed it was the super-low drop rate of good items through whatever packages you get from the Heroic. I wasn't ever going to put together a set of the new armor, so what was the point. And before that, raids and even Nightfalls (and thus, the too-low chance for the Icebreaker quest) were out of reach because no one was playing any more.

So can someone summarize the different versions of Destiny 2. Which one is the best value in your opinion?
I can tell you which version is the WORST value, but it's probably not even available for pre-order anymore. :)

You know, a few years ago I would have preordered that and been all over it. Now I'm like "meh" on that as well. I will get it eventually though. At this point I have to wait for a sale ;).
come play mass effect mp with us for the silly banter.

last night's topic was Ramen noodles & KFC (Korean Friend Chicken).

Haven't you been paying attention to the internet? We're not supposed to like Mass effect.

I can tell you which version is the WORST value, but it's probably not even available for pre-order anymore. :)
Care to elaborate?

Haven't you been paying attention to the internet? We're not supposed to like Mass effect.

I have to admit the less than stellar reviews turned me off of getting it at launch. I figured the multiplayer would be fun, though. I still might pick it up soon. But then I do, supposedly, have Persona 5 coming in and I'd rather play that. "supposedly" because I bought it via some shady eBay pre-saler using that $15 off $30 coupon eBay gave me a while back. It was supposed to ship today but I'm getting crickets from the seller...

I am a certified whore for collectors editions, but that bag is butt-ass ugly.  Who would actually use that?  Even if the bag was dope as hell, $250?  No.  $100 LE at GAmestop for me.  Even came with the way cool little Cayde-6 figure for preordering. 

For me now, I may play Destiny to raid a little here and there.  But, Destiny is all about 2 now.  Can't wait for that. 

$250, ugh.  Well, I'll have to see what's in that $100 GS one.  I think I have an old preorder to switch over so I might as well do that while I think about it.

Edit: Checked out the $100 Gamestop one.  Yeah, I'll go ahead and get that.  They probably don't even have the figures any more but I'll do it anyway next time I'm up there.  Any news on when the beta will be?

$250, ugh. Well, I'll have to see what's in that $100 GS one. I think I have an old preorder to switch over so I might as well do that while I think about it.

Edit: Checked out the $100 Gamestop one. Yeah, I'll go ahead and get that. They probably don't even have the figures any more but I'll do it anyway next time I'm up there. Any news on when the beta will be?
No news on the Beta yet, but expect it to be available on :ps4: sooner. Also, every GS I've been to has had those Cayde-6 figures in big piles. But beware, the prices on eBay for those things are probably enticing enough for people to try to scoop them all up...

I'm going to try to get to GS Weds evening.  I also got the shipping notice for my P5 and after reading a few reviews, I think I'll be sinking my next 100-150 hours of game time there.  So, yeah, I might be done by the time Destiny 2 comes out ;).

Before I ceased all console activity I was actively playing 3 games on Xbox One (Skyrim, FF XV, and I can't even remember the 3rd) and would have liked to have gotten back into No Man's Sky on PS4.  And that's pretty much just my backlog as of a few months ago.  Toss in Mass Effect and some other PS4 stuff and I feel hopelessly lost... sigh...

bread's done
Back