Official CAG Destiny Thread - Rise of Iron

We are getting the PS Year One weapons. The thing that I am fuzzy and bungie really hasn't said is if we just get Year 2 versions of it or if we will also get the Year ones and that they will be in the older loot tables (VoG, Crota, PoE). Monte Carlo, Hawkmoon, and 4th Horseman are all coming along for year 2, they pretty much were forced with that because the Xbox fanbase would be pretty pissed.
I am very happy to hear that. Thanks for the info!!

[quote name="GLOCKGLOCK" post="12901963" timestamp="1441314929"]Some people still hate the current light system even though it is simple to get to 34 and easy to understand. I feel like all the complaining about this was done by people that quit playing early on in the game during the "Forever 29" daze. They must think that revamping the Light/Level system will bring people back in flocks or something...

For all they have talked about the new Level and Light system I have no idea how they actually apply to the game once TTK drops. It seems like the overall light level is still the most important factor even though they claim they wanted to get away from that. Regardles I'm pretty sure you have to be Level 40 to wear the best gear so to get a high light level you will have to be max xp level. Does this make sense? I feel like I need to start :beer: immediately...[/quote]
I hated the light system and thought it funneled everybody into the same gear. Then they let you wear different gear to max your level but added ANOTHER currency to do it. Now what they're replacing it with doesn't sound any better. Why can't I just level my character and improve my gear like an MMO? Compare the stats and decide which chest piece is better. Now it seems like they're just giving you two e-cocks to wave around instead of just one.

I don't want to rain on anybody's parade. If you are excited for the game that's great. I'm still taking the wait and see approach. I don't feel like the LE of Destiny was worth the money I got out of it so this time Bungie has to prove that it is worth dropping my $40. Otherwise I will wait for a sale and play The Taken King for five minutes like I did House of Wolves.

I liked the light system, especially with how it is now. Mainly because in classic MMOs, later raids had gear requirements. In Destiny, those requirements were more clear cut because it was reflected in your level.

Vendetta, saw that the one girl on Wed's Twitch stream is from your clan. What are the chances you get hooked up with the PS4?
LOL, I wish. Nah I'm a sub on her Twitch channel and she's going to give the PS4 away to a random follower, don't have to sub, on either the 15th, or 16th. So follower her on Twitch fellas. She's a damn cool streamer and her streams are always fun. I've been a sub for 6 months now.

The link to her twitch is in my sig!

Also I would like to note, I tweeted her after the stream asking if she would sign the PS4 and she responded saying she would. She also got all the devs to sign the PS4. :D Also she has like 260,000 followers. I'm betting that number goes up astronomically not only because of the stream but her channel is just a fun place to hangout. Oh yeah and of course because of the stereotypical male gamer being like ZOMG a girl gamer?!?! :roll:

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't really been playing the last few months, but figured I'd try and complete the year one tasks before TTK drops. Just grabbed a couple golden chests I missed so now I just need to beat Skolas this weekend. Any of you badasses think you can help me out?

[quote name="RADa5AURU5" post="12903605" timestamp="1441394725"]Haven't really been playing the last few months, but figured I'd try and complete the year one tasks before TTK drops. Just grabbed a couple golden chests I missed so now I just need to beat Skolas this weekend. Any of you badasses think you can help me out?[/quote]
I could help today. I work 2 - 10 pm EST everyday that isn't Thursday or Friday. If I'm not working and on, hit me up and I'm more than willing to knock it out.

GT: BeFlatLine

[quote name="Vendetta_x360" post="12903526" timestamp="1441392275"]LOL, I wish. Nah I'm a sub on her Twitch channel and she's going to give the PS4 away to a random follower, don't have to sub, on either the 15th, or 16th. So follower her on Twitch fellas. She's a damn cool streamer and her streams are always fun. I've been a sub for 6 months now.

The link to her twitch is in my sig!

Also I would like to note, I tweeted her after the stream asking if she would sign the PS4 and she responded saying she would. She also got all the devs to sign the PS4. :D Also she has like 260,000 followers. I'm betting that number goes up astronomically not only because of the stream but her channel is just a fun place to hangout. Oh yeah and of course because of the stereotypical male gamer being like ZOMG a girl gamer?!?! :roll:[/quote]
I started following her when she was streaming Titanfall. Then stopped when she went back to Call of Duty but I pop in once in a while when she does Destiny. She actually seems really nice.

I started following her when she was streaming Titanfall. Then stopped when she went back to Call of Duty but I pop in once in a while when she does Destiny. She actually seems really nice.
Yeah she's really cool. Very engaging with the chat when questions are asked. I remember one stream when everyone was tipping her and we all made her cry. She was so overcome with joy and appreciation that she broke down on stream. That has actually happened a couple of times. I just love the atmosphere in general and everyone is pretty chill in there. She does giveaways all the time and helps people in Trials as well.

Plus her sub emotes are the best. :D

Been getting back into the game recently.
I'm not all that good, so I've just been playing some of the strikes and level 28 POE. Thought that maybe I'd try POE 32, since I made it to 32 finally, and I wanted an Armor Core. How much harder than 28 could it be right? So, I found a couple of guys on Destiny Fireteams and gave it a try.
Good grief, I didn't realize how bad I was....we were each 32, and it took us 3 hrs.
I think the problem was, none of us had decent primary weapons. I think maybe I'll wait and see what new weapons I get in TTK, before I try that again. I don't know how the hell you guys do VOG and Crota's End, man.

Been getting back into the game recently.
I'm not all that good, so I've just been playing some of the strikes and level 28 POE. Thought that maybe I'd try POE 32, since I made it to 32 finally, and I wanted an Armor Core. How much harder than 28 could it be right? So, I found a couple of guys on Destiny Fireteams and gave it a try.
Good grief, I didn't realize how bad I was....we were each 32, and it took us 3 hrs.
I think the problem was, none of us had decent primary weapons. I think maybe I'll wait and see what new weapons I get in TTK, before I try that again. I don't know how the hell you guys do VOG and Crota's End, man.
It gets easier with practice. Leveling up gear is important, but familiarity counts for a lot too. Knowing the maps, what's coming next, and the little gimmicks needed to defeat the bosses... That's what really makes a difference.

You'll get there.

My assessment of the initial changes in Destiny 2.0:

1. Light still matters most. Am I going to equip something with less Light that lowers my overall attack and defense ratings? No way. So, they can say they clarified things, but in reality they still have two very distinct and somewhat confusing levelling systems. After level 20, it’s still all about light.

2. Collections are a great addition. I love being able to just view all my shaders, emblems, ships, and exotics from the tower kiosks. Makes sense and allows me to clear out my vault.

3. Vault space = good.

4. The INT/DIS/STR changes make sense, but it was never something that bothered me. I will say that it is nice that I can look at my stats and see that, without orbs, the cooldown on my super is 4:57.

5. Northbot…[sigh]. I guess he’s fine, but it appears that they told him to just say every line with the complete opposite inflection that Dinklage used and to do so using his best C-3PO impression. Drunkz pointed that out and now I can’t picture anything but 3PO whenever he talks. If I can find a golden Ghost shell, it will be perfect.

[quote name="simosaurus" post="12910180" timestamp="1441810313"]My assessment of the initial changes in Destiny 2.0:

1. Light still matters most. Am I going to equip something with less Light that lowers my overall attack and defense ratings? No way. So, they can say they clarified things, but in reality they still have two very distinct and somewhat confusing levelling systems. After level 20, it’s still all about light.

2. Collections are a great addition. I love being able to just view all my shaders, emblems, ships, and exotics from the tower kiosks. Makes sense and allows me to clear out my vault.

3. Vault space = good.

4. The INT/DIS/STR changes make sense, but it was never something that bothered me. I will say that it is nice that I can look at my stats and see that, without orbs, the cooldown on my super is 4:57.

5. Northbot…[sigh]. I guess he’s fine, but it appears that they told him to just say every line with the complete opposite inflection that Dinklage used and to do so using his best C-3PO impression. Drunkz pointed that out and now I can’t picture anything but 3PO whenever he talks. If I can find a golden Ghost shell, it will be perfect.[/quote]
Thanks for that. C-3PO is spot on. He seems more cowardly now. I personally never had an issue with Dinklebot. I know a lot of people complained about the lack of emotion but I saw that as, well, he's a robot.

After the most significant update to the game since the release last year I shouldn't be in here talking about Threepio-bot, but it is god awful.  Nolan North doing the exact same lines as Dinklage then having them modified through some "make me sound like a robot" app.  It is seriously like Nathan Drake and C-3PO had a baby...

Outside of that the changes all seem pretty good.  A couple things I noted:

The kiosks are great for keeping things organized, but I wish they tweaked it a bit more so that it was easier to tell if you had an emblem or not.  For example if you have a shader in your current inventory it shows as greyed out on the kiosk, which at first glance makes me think I haven't collected it yet.  Once you cursor over it it says "can only carry one at a time" but it feels like it could be implemented a bit better. 

Also unless I missed it you cannot see your faction ranks unless you pledged to a specific one for the week.  Seems odd that they would take that out of the menus.  I shouldn't have to go to the tower and then go from faction to faction to see that. 

I played Rift and it is definitely a game mode where you need a coordinated team to do well.  It was on the tower map and I did not care for it at all.  I'll try out the other new mode over the weekend, but outside of Iron Banner I never really get too hyped up for PvP stuff.

EDIT - I have a redbull code if anyone needs one.  Send me a PM.  Please be someone active in the thread or the game, which probably narrows it down to a handful of us since most people have moved on. :beer:

Regarding RoboNorth, I kinda like it.  At least I would say I'm indifferent.  I like the chatter and I like that either there is more or that it's different.  Dinklebot's dialogue became background chatter quickly.  But, more than C-3P0, he sounds like 343 Guilty Spark from Halo.  THAT is a dead-on comparison, I think. 

In general, crazy cool upgrades.  I saw some folks with new emblems, I picked up a wicked new blue/silver shader and I saw one guy dancing with a crazy new dance move.  All this stupid stuff, along with being able to delete shaders, emblems and store a crap ton of gear, has me all kinds of excited for the new content this week and definitely next!

Loving everything 2.0 has.

Anyone else play the new I mean old Playstation exclusive  :lol:  strikes yet?  Dust Palace sucks. Totally lame.  Undying Mind was a bit of fun though I thought.

Rift is definitely a team focused mode.  Can't carry people as much.  The new maps seem cool so far, I just need to memorize the layouts of them now. :)

Dust Palace is better now than before.  Those Psion bosses used to be major bullet sponges.

Much easier now, especially if you triple-team'em each.

Undying Mind definitely sucks: reverse a level-check, insert tons of Majors-check, recycle boss-checkity check check.

Dust Palace is better now than before. Those Psion bosses used to be major bullet sponges.
Much easier now, especially if you triple-team'em each.

Undying Mind definitely sucks: reverse a level-check, insert tons of Majors-check, recycle boss-checkity check check.
Okay, an I missing something? I don't see the "new" strikes at all.

Go play the mission with the "it's in the walls" line. (like the 2nd or 3rd missions in the game, with the warp drive)

You will immediately hear why dinklebot was 100x better than Northbot/Peter Hastings.

So I decided to fire up Destiny finally this evening to see what is up.  I am not following at all what you people are talking about with respect to shaders.  Do they still even exist as items, or are they just unlocked now?  Do all characters see them or only the ones that "earned" them?  The lack of detail about all this on other web sites (the ones that are supposed to cover this sort of thing) is interesting.

However, I was greeted with a big exclamation point on my Destiny tile.  Apparently it tried to update my game automatically at some point but of course there was not enough space on my system.  So I had to move things to the external drive (apparently the X1 was not smart enough just to use that in the first place) and now I am very, very slowly downloading the update.  I may or may not find the motivation to fire it up later tonight.  We'll see...

Edit: Got the update installed and ran it to the character selection screen (to make sure there wasn't another big patch or something).  I see a little, I guess, of what Simo and others are talking about.  Now in addition to light level, which still seems to be there and the same, I also have some other number on each character that is new - and it is different for each one.  WTF that is I have no idea - will have to get on later to see if I can figure it out.  Strike one for making things simpler though ;).

Okay, an I missing something? I don't see the "new" strikes at all.
They are in the strike playlist. You can't select them at all right now.

So I decided to fire up Destiny finally this evening to see what is up. I am not following at all what you people are talking about with respect to shaders. Do they still even exist as items, or are they just unlocked now? Do all characters see them or only the ones that "earned" them? The lack of detail about all this on other web sites (the ones that are supposed to cover this sort of thing) is interesting.

However, I was greeted with a big exclamation point on my Destiny tile. Apparently it tried to update my game automatically at some point but of course there was not enough space on my system. So I had to move things to the external drive (apparently the X1 was not smart enough just to use that in the first place) and now I am very, very slowly downloading the update. I may or may not find the motivation to fire it up later tonight. We'll see...

Edit: Got the update installed and ran it to the character selection screen (to make sure there wasn't another big patch or something). I see a little, I guess, of what Simo and others are talking about. Now in addition to light level, which still seems to be there and the same, I also have some other number on each character that is new - and it is different for each one. WTF that is I have no idea - will have to get on later to see if I can figure it out. Strike one for making things simpler though ;).
The big number is your level. The yellow one under that is the light level.

In regards to shaders, they are just in a bank and once you have gotten them they are there and other characters can access it and get a shader. So say you have your Carthage on your Warlock, your titan can go to the kiosk and get it. Same with Hunter.

OK, played for a while - mostly rearranging my Vault/character slots and deleting extra shaders and crap.

It took me forever to find the Shader kiosk - I missed it the first time there (just saw the emblem one and then assumed it had to be somewhere else).

I bought a new ghost shell for each character - so that bumped me up a bit.  Then I ran some patrol on my Warlock - just getting used to the controls again.  A few general observations after being out of the game for a while: 1) The game is way too damn bright.  After ESO my eyes hurt from the brightness of Destiny.  2) Running is so sluggish - used to the faster running in ESO (though it is limited because of a stamina bar).  3) First person perspective I do not like.  I went 3rd person in ESO and have always preferred that.  Oh wells...

As for specifics about the new stuff:

1) So Variks gives me two etheric light in my weekly packages this week!  Too funny - of course they are useless now, right?  I have like 23 in the Vault anyway.  I did finally cash in those tokens for all the ships, shaders, and class items that Variks has just so they can be "active" in the collection list.

2) I pledged my Warlock to Dead Orbit and then got the challenge where not only do you have to wear the faction class item, you have to wear a faction emblem and a faction ARMOR PIECE.  WTF!?  I thought we didn't have to wear the faction crap any more?  I guess this is just for a specific quest - but I don't own any faction armor.  That was deleted when Vault space was at a premium.  I might have a piece or two in the post if I got it randomly from crucible - I'll have to look.  Do you only have to wear one piece to get the credit?  Sucks that it has Crucible requirements though - that is what burned me out on the game.

3) I guess because of the desire not to have you level they aren't giving any experience out at this point?  Even though I was able to compete most of my bounties, I was unable to get any exp towards the 10,000 exp bounty.  I found that odd.  So does that mean if you don't buy Taken King you can't do that bounty as your experience stays the same - or did they just turn it off for this week?  (Or is this a straight up bug!?).

4) I also did not get any faction rep to either my Vanguard or Dead Orbit for doing patrols (and yeah I did pay the 2500 to get the Dead Orbit badge or whatever they called it).  I noticed the little indicator didn't pop up when I finished patrol missions showing where it went like it used to.  So I watched both numbers on my Vanguard and Dead Orbit and neither moved.  I had just finished reading that the strategy should be to level up each faction to just before an upgrade before the expansion hits.  Uh - doesn't seem like that is a thing...

5) On the plus side - looks like you can cash a bunch of stuff (even weapon parts or Hadronic essense) for faction rep.  I didn't try any, though, after not getting exp or faction rep for the patrols.

6) The class items had some strange armor values.  On all 3 of my characters my Kellhunter item (the class item from the chests in PoE) were only 3 defense.  Some of my others were 30, including a Variks class item I bought previously.  However, if I went and re-bought the VERY SAME class item from Variks it was defense 140.   That seems like a clear bug/glitch.  I'm assuming that if I go get another Kellhunter item from the PoE now it will also be 140.  It is just the "old" new stuff that is nerfed.  Odd...  (Meanwhile VoG and Crota stuff seemed to be either 130 or 140 which is strange - my Shroud of Flies from Crota was definitely 140 while most others were 130 - or maybe 120.  I dunno - way too many new numbers all over the place).

Someone also posted in the PS4 thread that you don't want to complete any of the new weapon/faction stuff as you won't get rewards if you complete them this week and you won't be able to repeat them later.  I'm sure Bungie will fix that eventually, but even so I'm just going to stay away until the expansion comes out.  In any case, other than completing a bunch of bounties to turn in for exp once the expansion hits, I don't see much reason to play now since the factions points don't' seem to be accruing.

I'm still not 100% sold on this anyway - I'll play it by ear next week I guess.

Can anyone explain exactly how the Armsday orders will work with the Gunsmith? I field tested 3 of the 5 weapons, but do I need to run all 5? And what about rep with him? Do I need to hit rank one to place an order next week?

I'll probably just take it easy these next few days with all these issues about quests not giving out the correct rewards until 9/15.  Will do the gunsmith stuff and check out mayhem on the weekend.  Load up some completed bounties as well.  Need to do some vault management too. 

Another gripe I forgot about the other day was why don't items in your inventory and vault auto sort?  I'd like my 10 Vision of Confluences to show up right next to each other in the vault.  This Last In First out BS makes it more difficult to sort through things.  Oh well at least we have some space now for at least the next few weeks...

I kind of want to walk into things on Tuesday fresh so I'm not going to binge on stuff this week.  Almost want to take a mental health day from work Tuesday and dive in right when TTK goes live.  I'll be away a few days later in the week and most of the following week so will probably be pretty far behind when I'm finally back and able to play. 

I really do not like Nolan as the voice of our Ghost. It also eliminates the use of the name Dinklebot. The comparison to a bad impression of C3-PO is pretty spot on, though I did read that first and hoped you guys were wrong... you were not haha.

It is a hard pill to swallow to load up a game you haven't played in a while and see that everything you slaved over for the past year with your 500+ hours in the game have all been nerfed to the extreme in terms of damage and all that. I knew that was happening but still felt like a punch in the gut.

2) I pledged my Warlock to Dead Orbit and then got the challenge where not only do you have to wear the faction class item, you have to wear a faction emblem and a faction ARMOR PIECE. WTF!? I thought we didn't have to wear the faction crap any more? I guess this is just for a specific quest - but I don't own any faction armor. That was deleted when Vault space was at a premium. I might have a piece or two in the post if I got it randomly from crucible - I'll have to look. Do you only have to wear one piece to get the credit? Sucks that it has Crucible requirements though - that is what burned me out on the game.

3) I guess because of the desire not to have you level they aren't giving any experience out at this point? Even though I was able to compete most of my bounties, I was unable to get any exp towards the 10,000 exp bounty. I found that odd. So does that mean if you don't buy Taken King you can't do that bounty as your experience stays the same - or did they just turn it off for this week? (Or is this a straight up bug!?).

4) I also did not get any faction rep to either my Vanguard or Dead Orbit for doing patrols (and yeah I did pay the 2500 to get the Dead Orbit badge or whatever they called it). I noticed the little indicator didn't pop up when I finished patrol missions showing where it went like it used to. So I watched both numbers on my Vanguard and Dead Orbit and neither moved. I had just finished reading that the strategy should be to level up each faction to just before an upgrade before the expansion hits. Uh - doesn't seem like that is a thing...

6) The class items had some strange armor values. On all 3 of my characters my Kellhunter item (the class item from the chests in PoE) were only 3 defense. Some of my others were 30, including a Variks class item I bought previously. However, if I went and re-bought the VERY SAME class item from Variks it was defense 140. That seems like a clear bug/glitch. I'm assuming that if I go get another Kellhunter item from the PoE now it will also be 140. It is just the "old" new stuff that is nerfed. Odd... (Meanwhile VoG and Crota stuff seemed to be either 130 or 140 which is strange - my Shroud of Flies from Crota was definitely 140 while most others were 130 - or maybe 120. I dunno - way too many new numbers all over the place).

Someone also posted in the PS4 thread that you don't want to complete any of the new weapon/faction stuff as you won't get rewards if you complete them this week and you won't be able to repeat them later. I'm sure Bungie will fix that eventually, but even so I'm just going to stay away until the expansion comes out. In any case, other than completing a bunch of bounties to turn in for exp once the expansion hits, I don't see much reason to play now since the factions points don't' seem to be accruing.

I'm still not 100% sold on this anyway - I'll play it by ear next week I guess.
2) Shader, Emblem, Class Item is all you need. I'm almost done with my FWC one sans any armor.

3) Leveling up is locked until the expansion comes out. Everyone will be able to level up with or without TTK.

4) Patrols no longer give faction rep. Crucible gives faction and crucible rep though :D

6) I think it is bugged because last night one of my friends did Skolas and got a new Kellhunter class item that had a higher defense.

Luke Smith tweeted today that the exotic for the quest will be available on Tuesday. Faction points still accrue for bounties and crucible just not for patrols.

Couple of observations:

-Rift has one huge issue. As you approach the enemy rift with the spark you slowdown, however Bladedancers and Voidbombers can blink to negate the slowdown. That needs to be patched for sure as it is a cheap trick to score points.

-I got my first backwards dunk rift score last night.

-Red Death appears to be the new Thorn.

-Hopscotch Pilgrim got nerfed to hell while Messenger is a godly weapon.

-Pulse Rifles appear to be the new go to meta like HC's were last meta.

-Praedyth's Timepiece... :drool:

-Field testing seems kind of cumbersome and I hope that we aren't always limited to white tier weapons :bomb:

-I still like all of the changes. I still don't understand why everyone is making such a big deal that Light Level is more complicated. :roll: All it is basically is your Def + Atk average. Not much more than that, equip highest DEF & ATK gear and you have highest light level. Not rocket science there.

-I still like all of the changes. I still don't understand why everyone is making such a big deal that Light Level is more complicated. :roll: All it is basically is your Def + Atk average. Not much more than that, equip highest DEF & ATK gear and you have highest light level. Not rocket science there.
Eh, if they were going to make it more MMO-like then just make attack and defense two separate values. It seems odd to combine them. I couldn't figure out for a while why my characters weren't the same when I finally got them all the best available armor. It turned out one guy didn't have an exotic weapon equipped and that gave him like 2 more points. Before the weapons didn't contribute to light level unless I have a very fuzzy memory of my play time...

But if you were coming into the game fresh I could see how it is a little cleaner than the old level to 20, then use light level to 34. It's just for us vets all of a sudden that 34 is not the same 34 it was before (plus the weapons being a factor). It is just odd - but we'll adjust ;). it is what it is - I guess shaking things up at least has the potential to being people back for a bit.

I guess I'm still not sure what the new light level means, since it is combined offense/defense. It was easier to understand as a pure defensive stat. Though I guess even back then it wasn't clear because being a level above someone had both offense and defense advantages, even though it was just based on armor. I guess that will still be the difference? But with a more gradual scale (since the number range is so much bigger) of perks/penalties?

And not getting faction rep for patrols - BOO. Why the fuck change that?

Read about this a bunch more today.  In effect., they haven't changed a thing.  You level up to 40, now, but then you still need better gear to tackle end-game content so it will still be a grind to get that high light-level gear.  It is really no different than before other than that they are using two different stats instead of combining them into the single level value as before.  I'm assuming most of us here will at least get one character to that 40 level cap pretty quickly (within the first week if not the first day or two).  Then it is just like before where you have to find gear.  Maybe some of it is less RNG-dependent with the questlines and such, but we'll see.

I don't really have a problem with this as I never minded the end-game gear grind (mostly running Raids over and over).  But those who quit the game because of all of this after VoG or Crota, and expect it to be a huge change (like in today's Polygon opinion piece), might just be disappointed.

Basically, this: http://fextralife.com/will-destinys-new-xp-based-leveling-system-prove-to-be-smoke-and-mirrors/

You're right that light will still be important.  But this new system is suppose to help eliminate the prior problem of "Forever 29" cuz VoG won't drop boots.

And while you might be below max level, you won't be nerfed as hard as you were under the old system. What was it again... like a 20-30% nerf to you're attack power for being one level below the enemy???

Also, this new system should keep people motivated to keep progressing past level 20.  Bungie came out and said (in a vidoc) that's the big point where players dropped off.  They couldn't figure it out or just had bad RNG luck and never got decent drops.  No coincidence that the original Queen's Wrath event dropped when it did... it was meant as a way to help players get over the hump.

I know I was stuck at 22 and needed the Queen armor to make real progress.

The new system appears to be less frustrating, is all.

Sure, but the 29 problem was fixed even by Crota.  It was much easier to get armor drops from that than from VoG.  HoW made it even easier - you could just do PoE for a guaranteed piece of armor, or IB for etheric light, or even get etheric light from Nightfalls (though I never did ;)) and get to max level super easy.

I agree that the wider range of levels on the new light system resulting in lesser level penalties is good - but it remains to be seen exactly how that is implemented.

Basically, though, while this gives people who quit at 20 more to do to level up to 40, they will still run into the same wall of not being able to do the new Raid and such until they get better gear to go along with that level 40.  Like I said, this isn't an issue for me - I like hunting down gear via RNG, actually.  But those who quit because of that specific issue might not find this to be much better.

The potential here that will kep things interesting in the short term at least is that since we have a lot of light levels to gain (what, 150-ish to 280?) there may be a lot more intermediate armor that we get along the way.  So we'll have more chances for shiny new gear.  In the last couple of expansions it was always just 1 new piece and you were essentially done (at max).  If TTK allows a gradual build-up in light level via multiple tiers of better gear then that will make it fun for a while.  But like I said before, I expect most of us here to hit that cap pretty quickly, then it will be all about the best end-game gear as it always was.  But, yeah, sure, this makes it more interesting for the casuals I suppose.

Yea, Light Level is still the most important thing although you need to get to xp Level 40 to do the endgame activities and get the best (high light level) loot.

Also starting tomorrow you can trade in your original Destiny for $20 to GS toward TTK. 

I'm  hoping that if you unlock achievements in the XB1 version it will automatically unlock them when you log into the 360 version without having to buy the DLC twice.

Since our main level is what dictates what we are allowed to play (end game) that means we can all get maxed level pretty quickly and easily. Highly skilled players then can still succeed in the end game activities whereas others will no longer be able to blame Bungie for not being able to play the activities. You can play them, you just have to be really good or grind a whole bunch for better gear. I can see why they would do it this way since it pretty much lessens the pressure and flak against them.

Hell I remember playing VOG with my alternate character at the time (Hunter) and I was only level 24. It was all my normal buddies and a random and the random was bitching about me being in the group the whole time (when I was the one who gathered everyone anyway) saying that I was way too low. I was like... bitch I know what I am doing. Ended up being the 3rd highest for kills after the whole thing despite not even being able to hurt the Harpies at Atheon since they were just question marks.

I figure it will be similar to VOG where it was pretty easy to get to the level requirement for it, but to succeed you needed a solid team or really kick some ass. 

That Mayhem mode is not messing around its like regular clash turned up to eleven. 

Also rolled a Hopscotch with Third Eye and Headseeker just to run in the Crucible should i keep it or reroll it for something else? I did get Hand Laid Stock in the third row but nothing else good.

Also rolled a Hopscotch with Third Eye and Headseeker just to run in the Crucible should i keep it or reroll it for something else? I did get Hand Laid Stock in the third row but nothing else good.
I think hand laid stock and headseeker are counterproductive. IIRC, you need to land bodyshots and have the last shot hit the head to get the headseeker perk to proc. Hand laid stock would make the gun so stable that you won't get the natural recoil that'll move your reticle up to the head.

Hidden Hand would be better with all the other perks you got.

But hey, it's personal preference. You might want to keep headseeker and just not use hand laid stock. If you ever had the Praedyths Timepiece, then you'll already have a good idea of how headseeker works.

It looks like, according to this thread (https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/346480-preorder-destiny-the-taken-king-legendary-edition-for-5999-gsamazonbb-collectors-edition-7999-gs-exclusive/), that the CE has the vanilla Destiny game disc plus just ONE code for all the DLC.   That pretty much sucks for those of us who wanted to keep the Taken King code and physical items but sell the game + TDB/HoW code.   But then again, I suspect the TDB/HoW code would sell for pretty damn cheap since everyone would want to get the full package anyway if they were just starting out.  The market for just TDB/HoW codes would be pretty small I think.

I suppose you could still sell/trade the base game disc (for like $10-$15 tops - current trade value on Amazon is a whopping $6.83).  But that barely puts a dent in the $80.  I'm leaning towards just paying the $40 for the DLC by itself, as much as that pains me.  I used my expiring Xbox Live money to get Crowns for ESO to buy its DLC.  I now just have $6 left on my account from all the free/discounted Xbox Live points from years past.

Played a couple of hours Friday night.  I couldn't help but notice that there wasn't much activity after seeing a lot of people playing Weds or Thurs.  I guess the novelty of the changes has worn off and people are waiting for the DLC to start proper.  I turned some bounties in and interestingly enough, that gave me exp towards the 10,000 exp bounty.  I thought in the past they did not count for that.  Also weird that you get, for example, 50 Vanguard and 25 faction rep.  So that is nice.  My goal was to load up each character nearly full with completed bounties.

The green/blue armor drops give you the new generic armor materials when broken down, but they haven't done anything with the old stuff yet.  Is it going to convert over?   I say that because while I was running around I upgraded my Bones of Eos and it required the new armor mat and not the old sapphire wire.  So if we don't even need it for older stuff it hopefully gets converted to the new stuff.  I needed 5 and only had 1 - so I had to decrypt two blue engrams to get the other 4 armor mats.

The new planet patrol bounties are kind of a joke.  So you used to have to do 6 patrol missions which was maybe a bit much and I know a lot of people passed on them.  But tonight I started one up and after just killing a few guys I was already at 40% done.  I think it is because they were yellows.  But all you have to do is take a few guys out, open some chests, and maybe do one patrol mission and you're done.  Odd that they would make patrol missions essentially useless (since they don't give Faction rep either - but I guess they will give exp next week).

Oh, and I realized that in all my hours of playing this game, I apparently never got a FWC emblem!  I pledged my Titan (who is like level 36 or something in FWC) so I could start in the quest and realized I can't do it because I don't have an emblem.  The faction vendors are not currently selling them either, which was odd (they have armor and class items - which I guess are armor now...).

I also noticed that my Ghost was leveling up and had a perk.  I'm sure you guys know that but it was a surprise to me tonight.  The perk is just to highlight resource materials which is pretty useless, especially as I have tons of those.  But hopefully other shells we can get later have more interesting perks.

I ran the Strike playlist to see if I could get one of the PlayStation strikes.  I got Omnigul instead.  I took that as a sign to quit for the night ;).

So is there a reason to hold on to the older plain legendary weapons like Sawtooth, Pest Control, and etc? I will be holding on to primaries that do element damage till I find replacements for those. But as far as the other stuff is it best to delete now or wait till Tuesday?

So is there a reason to hold on to the older plain legendary weapons like Sawtooth, Pest Control, and etc? I will be holding on to primaries that do element damage till I find replacements for those. But as far as the other stuff is it best to delete now or wait till Tuesday?
I'd wait if I were you. I'm not perfectly clear on how it works, but they have talked about being able to break down (or 'infuse') less powerful weapons to help level up new, year 2 weapons. In the notes, Bungie keeps telling us not to get rid of anything just yet, so hold on.

You can trade the old materials for your faction rep. I ditched a few hundred sapphire wires for FWC rep.

I'd wait if I were you. I'm not perfectly clear on how it works, but they have talked about being able to break down (or 'infuse') less powerful weapons to help level up new, year 2 weapons. In the notes, Bungie keeps telling us not to get rid of anything just yet, so hold on.
Infusion doesn't work that way. It is sacrificing a stronger year 2 to make a weaker year 2 gun or armor stronger.

Played a bit last night after taking some time off after the patch.   Mayhem mode was pretty fun.  Tons of supers and heavy all over the place.  Definitely a good mode for those that aren't big into the current MP modes.  You won't be getting sniped across the map or thorn'd left and right.

Did the non-MP gunsmith stuff too.  Hopefully they make the tasks a bit more interesting because I can see having to do those on all 3 characters each week becoming tedious very quickly.

I agree that there isn't really much to do right now.  Just doing some bounties here and there so I have a full set maxed out for Tuesday.

All the DLC being on one code will probably make me change up my purchase plans.  Will dump the $10 PS4 destiny I got at Target to GS towards my CE.  I'll just never end up playing it on PS4 after all the time I have invested in the XB1 version.  Will hold onto the CE for the time being and just buy base TTK digital since I have some MS points cards left over from the last time there was a good deal on them.

I played a couple rounds of Mayhem last night with Sim and, yes, that mode is stupid fun.  Just frantic, blow shit up, kind of fun. 

Got my Vex Mythoclast to 177 damage and my Titan to 170 xp.  I hear you can get a Warlock to 171, almost 172, because they have a class item that is 180.  I didn't get it from the Vanguard yet. 

I also spent the night breaking through walls to glitch out and see some new Taken King areas.  For those on my friends list, I made some videos so check those out if you care.  There are also new dead ghosts.....some legit in area's like the Black Garden, and others that are less than legit because they are in the TTK areas.  Well, it's only a couple days early, but it was fun breaking in and seeing area's all glitched out.  Neat stuff. 

You know, I have some minor complaints, but overall, I really like the changes in 2.0.  This week, I've been having a lot of fun just running around shooting stuff in both PvE and PvP.  The bounties are simplified, but that is great for me because I often only get to play in short chunks, so being able to "accomplish" something in that short time feels good. 

Also, Destiny is still Destiny:  After playing the game for a year, last week I got my first Timebreaker sparrow from VoG...then i got a second one Friday night.  

Question:  what is the deal with the armor materials?  I thought that some amount of our class materials (sapphire wire) would convert over somehow to the generic material while we could then trade the rest in for rep.  But I have not yet found any conversion system.  Are we just stuck starting over from square one on armor materials for TTK?

bread's done
Back