Official Coffin Support Group - Is your 360 Dead? Post Here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I just got the three rings. I've been getting lockups while playing Bioshock, but this is probably the first time in a long while that I've played my 360 for any length of time. Well, I turn it off and turned it back on. When it powered back up, I got the three rings. I called and got a rep who was foreign and difficult to understand. I tell him the story, and he asks if I'm plugged into a surge protector. I tell him that I'm on a Monster surge protector, and he says that we're going to "troubleshoot."

This "troubleshooting" process involves unplugging the 360, plugging it into a wall outlet, and powering it back on. The 360 boots up and goes to the dashboard. He basically says "problem solved" and that I need to plug my 360 up to a wall outlet from now on, as it was a power spike.

I explain to this asshat that a surge protector prevents power spikes, that the Monster power bars regulate any voltage spikes or drops, and that I've always had freezing issues with the 360 regardless of where it's plugged up (playing through Oblivion was a nightmare).

So, he says to put in a game to see if it works. It starts acting choppy, and locks up less than a minute after loading. He finally gives in and says that it should be sent in for repairs. The weird thing? He says that it'll take 5 weeks!! What the hell.

My console date of manufacture was in 12/05, and I'm the original owner. The guy also tells me that I should just send the console, not the HD or cables. Hopefully the coffin will arive quickly... first Auburn loses to fucking South Florida, and now this.

called ms today to make sure they got mine, its being repaired still. Hopefully will get it back before skate, but i know thats hoping for a lot

[quote name='cdeener']New Serial Number: #######734##
New MFG Date: Between August 20-26[/quote]
I logged in yesterday morning and found a new serial number, as well.

I've got a "734" in the same exact position in my SN, so it looks like ours were manufactured in the same week.

I wonder who's will die first? :)

Has anyone received 360's back from MS with HDMI? I know it's unlikely, but if they are shipping new consoles.. you'd think they would give the customers who have had to go through the process a console with a new heatsink. Just wishful thinking I guess.

[quote name='Skylander7']Has anyone received 360's back from MS with HDMI? I know it's unlikely, but if they are shipping new consoles.. you'd think they would give the customers who have had to go through the process a console with a new heatsink. Just wishful thinking I guess.[/quote]
They aren't new consoles. I got a unit that was built in August 2007 but it was clearly a refurbished unit. They simply taped the new serial number over the old one. If you get a unit with a recent date, it just means that it has been fixed on that date.

[quote name='Kendro']They aren't new consoles. I got a unit that was built in August 2007 but it was clearly a refurbished unit. They simply taped the new serial number over the old one. If you get a unit with a recent date, it just means that it has been fixed on that date.[/QUOTE]

I know this is shitty to say, and I'm not stating that I'm actually going to do this.. but I almost want to go buy a new 360 to last through the supposed 5 weeks of the repair process that the CSR told me about on the phone, and return the old one when the refurb arrives at my door to get my money back. It's not like Walmart hasn't seen systems returned, and that they can't send them back to MS to get their money back.

I'm really kind of miffed that the CSR tried to blame me for the RRoD due to using a surge protector. Right as Halo 3 comes out, I'll be waiting for a refurbed pos to come to my door. I'm glad that they fessed up to the flaws, but c'mon... I'm reading multiple threads in multiple locations of having to go through 4 returns or so to get a working 360.

I've been lucky so far, knock on wood, had mine around a year and it's still going strong, I do have an intercooler on the back of it though, I wonder if that's why I haven't had any issues?

Well I'm into my third week of waiting now... still no email from MS saying they even received the console... I'm kind of pissed. Halo will be out soon and I haven't even started BioShock.

[quote name='javeryh']Well I'm into my third week of waiting now... still no email from MS saying they even received the console... I'm kind of pissed. Halo will be out soon and I haven't even started BioShock.[/QUOTE]

MS only received my console last week, and I am already anxious. I probably wouldn't feel this way if I knew that refurbished or replacement consoles weren't having the same failure problems as retail ones. Hell, I would buy another retail one to tide me over if I thought it wouldn't die the same death as my first one, but alas . . .

Maybe MS should consider selling 360 consoles as two-packs. That way when one console dies, you have a backup console, which will also eventually die, but probably not before you get the refurb back from McAllen. The refurb will also probably die, but as long as the median lifetime of the 360 exceeds the refurb time, most of us could continue gaming. I'd call them RROD packs or Red packs.

[quote name='jmiller80']Maybe MS should consider selling 360 consoles as two-packs. That way when one console dies, you have a backup console, which will also eventually die, but probably not before you get the refurb back from McAllen. The refurb will also probably die, but as long as the median lifetime of the 360 exceeds the refurb time, most of us could continue gaming. I'd call them RROD packs or Red packs.[/quote]

Pure Genius! Especially the name. They could have cool mottos like the european line's Go Pro or Go Big. It'd be... Go Red or Go Safe. I dunno. I bet someone could come up with something much funnier... Ready, go!

[quote name='Skylander7']

I'm really kind of miffed that the CSR tried to blame me for the RRoD due to using a surge protector. [/quote]

Wait, what? Doesn't any normal electronics manufacturer tell you that you SHOULD use a surge protector?

[quote name='opterasis']Wait, what? Doesn't any normal electronics manufacturer tell you that you SHOULD use a surge protector?[/quote]They asked me about that detail when I had my console go out about a year ago. They specifically said to plug the console directly to a wall outlet. The CSR went as far as to say that the power brick functions as a surge protector.

[quote name='opterasis']Wait, what? Doesn't any normal electronics manufacturer tell you that you SHOULD use a surge protector?[/QUOTE]

The CSR asked me if I had plugged mine into a surge protector as well. I said no, as... that was the truth, and immediately cringed, thinking that she was going to blame my RROD on the LACK of a surge protector.

Right after I said no, she said she was sending out a box to me. Weird.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']They asked me about that detail when I had my console go out about a year ago. They specifically said to plug the console directly to a wall outlet. The CSR went as far as to say that the power brick functions as a surge protector.[/quote]

I have my 360 on a backup battery (I hate it when the power goes out for like 3 seconds and you lose everything) and told them that and then they told me that was the problem.

Personally I don't see HOW. Although I do understand that the brick has a surge protector built into it that shouldn't prevent you from being able to plug it into a "clean" power source. If that is somehow destroying my 360s (after having had it this way for over a year without the issue coming up) could someone please explain it to me?

This is my third time to send a 360 in. If this one breaks has anyone had any luck with supervisors getting you a new model like an elite or something that won't bloody break 3 weeks after getting it back in the mail? Kinda sucks when you do what microsoft wants and make the 360 the crux of your media center only to be let down when the bloody thing breaks.

I'm glad this thread is here... makes me feel better that I'm not alone, and that we're all equally ticked off out here ;)

[quote name='cdeener']Its simple as looking in your serial number at the eighth to tenth numbers.

For example, #######725## would mean that this system would have been made in 2007 during the 25 week of the year.[/QUOTE]

Looks like I'm getting back a unit from October 2006. I'm gonna give it 2 weeks before I have to call Microsoft again.

[quote name='Techsticles']Review + Update

The new XBox 360 Premium I bought in February had the nic port die on Sunday 7/22, I called and got a coffin shipped.

7/26 said coffin arrived and was shipped back the next day.

A replacement system with new heat sinks and a 7/27/07 manufacture date arrived to me on Friday 8/10.

Saturday 8/17 that system RROD'd when I got a Catan achievement. During this 1 week of use the system had been used less than 10 hours and other than the Bioshock demo, only Live Arcade games had been played on it. I called the repair number and they promised to send another coffin. Also gave me a choice of a free game from several launch titles I already owned for my trouble.

Thursday 8/23 I recieved another coffin and have just returned home from dropping it off at the closest UPS location.[/quote]
Friday 8/24 Delivered to repair center. (I live in TX)

Monday 9/10 The XBox Service site shows a new serial number so hopefully that means I should finally be getting another system in the next week. Like most of you, I had zero notice about shipping.

Well, I just got an automated call from UPS telling me that my package will arrive tomorrow between 10 a.m. & 7 p.m. and someone has to sign for it. The funny thing is since I work during the day I probably wouldn't be able to receive it unless it comes after 4 p.m. but what makes this even funnier is the fact that I actually work about 3 blocks away from the processing facility that my system will be delivered from.

well they received mine today.. so we'll see what happens. the service wasn't working for me, so i called and the lady tried to tell me too that it'll be 4-6 weeks

Logged in this morning and saw a new serial number. The date on the new serial is '712' which is the same as my original one (I have an Elite if that makes any difference).

Hopefully it has been shipped or will ship soon. I haven't gotten any emails during this whole process. Some kind of shipping confirmation would be nice (like a call from UPS) since I work during the day and am not home to sign for it.

[quote name='gamegirl79']Logged in this morning and saw a new serial number. The date on the new serial is '712' which is the same as my original one (I have an Elite if that makes any difference).

Hopefully it has been shipped or will ship soon. I haven't gotten any emails during this whole process. Some kind of shipping confirmation would be nice (like a call from UPS) since I work during the day and am not home to sign for it.[/quote]

You'll get an automated call from UPS the day before it's to be delivered.

[quote name='sp00ge']You'll get an automated call from UPS the day before it's to be delivered.[/quote]

Do they also email the tracking number?

[quote name='bmachine']Do they also email the tracking number?[/quote]

I never received a single email from M$ during all my ordeals with them. I made it a habit to call every 2-3 days to check in the status until I was able to get the tracking #.

My 360 has been very jittery of late, it keeps freezing for a couple of seconds then continuing on, I've noticed it on a couple of games.

Does it sound like the early stages of RROD disorder to anyone ?

[quote name='benjamouth']My 360 has been very jittery of late, it keeps freezing for a couple of seconds then continuing on, I've noticed it on a couple of games.

Does it sound like the early stages of RROD disorder to anyone ?[/quote]
That it does, mine would do that too a few months ago; lock up and need to be restared. I posted a bitch about a month or 2 ago about trying to beat Vegas and having to restart every 3 minutes because of freezing.

Alas, this Saturday, September 8 2007 my 360 produced the RROD. I called and actually got a really cool ENGLISH speaking chick on the phone. She said she had some troubleshooting steps that she assumed I did (i.e. I have to go through these and say you did them) then said she would send out a coffin.

So, it's back to Zelda and some PS2 games until I get my 360 back (hasn't been sent from home yet) which sucks because I just got into the COD4 beta and want to keep playing Bioshock. Oh well .....

Well, my system has come and it is clean with a new white faceplate which I will probably get a skin for since I still have my original plus my Saints Row one. It was manufactured on 8/21/2007 which was two days before my old system arrived to the center. If its a refurbished console it looks like brand new because it has no dirt on it at all and runs very quiet compared to my old one.

Now I'm going have to get some cheap games for it because all the games I had before I shipped it off I traded in except for Perfect Dark Zero.

I've had alot of lockup problems over a set period of time. I had MANY on Oblivion (I assumed that it was the game being buggy), a few on Gears, and started getting them on Bioshock. Now the red rings of despair.

It really pisses me off that I'll likely not have a 360 when Halo 3 comes out. I have a PS3 and Wii, but I've become so engrossed in Bioshock that it really annoys me. When I get told by someone on MS' end with a thick Spanish accent that it'll be "5 weeks".. I just can't justify going out and buying a replacement when the new processor isn't on the boards yet, and Crapstop will likely only give a $100 for the premium. By the way, what is the trade in value on the 360's? The website doesn't list the hardware in the short list that they have up, and I won't be able to call until after hours tonight (just curious).

Edit: As a piece of advice for anyone getting the red rings of diarrhea and about to call in for repairs, tell them that you had it plugged into a wall outlet if they ask in order to prevent questions on their end. I know it's stupid.. but they're blaming it on surge protectors, and it's only a matter of time before a CSR refuses the warranty for having it on a UPS/surge protector/power cleaner.
Here's a link to an article on the surge protector finger pointing:
www.neoseeker.com/news/story/6889/+rrod+surge+protectors&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us

[quote name='Skylander7']I've had alot of lockup problems over a set period of time. I had MANY on Oblivion (I assumed that it was the game being buggy), a few on Gears, and started getting them on Bioshock. Now the red rings of despair.

It really pisses me off that I'll likely not have a 360 when Halo 3 comes out. I have a PS3 and Wii, but I've become so engrossed in Bioshock that it really annoys me. When I get told by someone on MS' end with a thick Spanish accent that it'll be "5 weeks".. I just can't justify going out and buying a replacement when the new processor isn't on the boards yet, and Crapstop will likely only give a $100 for the premium. By the way, what is the trade in value on the 360's? The website doesn't list the hardware in the short list that they have up, and I won't be able to call until after hours tonight (just curious).

Edit: As a piece of advice for anyone getting the red rings of diarrhea and about to call in for repairs, tell them that you had it plugged into a wall outlet if they ask in order to prevent questions on their end. I know it's stupid.. but they're blaming it on surge protectors, and it's only a matter of time before a CSR refuses the warranty for having it on a UPS/surge protector/power cleaner.
Here's a link to an article on the surge protector finger pointing:
www.neoseeker.com/news/story/6889/+rrod+surge+protectors&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us[/quote]

These are exactly the games I had problems with before getting the ring of death. I'm totally pissed about Bioshock too! I was about 60% done. Argh.

[quote name='javeryh']Well I'm into my third week of waiting now... still no email from MS saying they even received the console... I'm kind of pissed. Halo will be out soon and I haven't even started BioShock.[/quote]

Finally. UPS called and said delivery should be tomorrow. This thing better freaking work like it should. I want to play BioShock completely worry-free.

I am so pissed off right now!
I have been playing Tiger Woods 07 and have had freezing problems. I had one today, turned it off and back on about 30 seconds later and bam, 3 red rings. I unplugged/replugged all cords and it is still there. I've gotten the rings before when power went out, shut it off and the next day it was fine. This time it's permanent. I'm got this on ebay in January of 06, so it's likely a launch console, but I'm worried about the whole thing because it may not be under my name if he used live, right?

[quote name='javeryh']Finally. UPS called and said delivery should be tomorrow. This thing better freaking work like it should. I want to play BioShock completely worry-free.[/quote]

Got the call today, as well. I've got Bioshock and Stranglehold waitin'.

Mine red ringed this week. I'm currently waiting for the coffin to arive. I'm hoping I'll get it back before Halo 3 releases. I have a feeling I'm going to get screwed though.

[quote name='MrDubbs']how long does it take to update and send one out?

the service site shows they recieved mine on the 10th[/QUOTE]

i should be getting mine back today, its been roughly 30 days.

Mine died a couple of days before my copy of bioshock arrived so I know how you feel, but don't worry Halo will still be there, you'll just totally get your ass kicked when you jump in to multi.

everyone's problems sound exactly like mine. I requested a coffin last week but still haven't received anything. My repair status says they're awaiting the delivery of my box at their repair center. Hope my coffin didn't get lost.

In the meantime, I didn't have any freezes last night, but the night before it froze instantly after having NOT played it all weekend. So yeah, I think it's safe to assume the RROD will be permanent soon, but I'll stretch it out as long as I can.

This just pisses me off, that the turn around takes soo long.

I sent it in once, they took about 3-4 weeks.. 4 months later RROD

sent it in a second time, now it takes them 4-6 weeks? come on

you'd think they'd get it right at some point...

[quote name='velvet396']everyone's problems sound exactly like mine. I requested a coffin last week but still haven't received anything. My repair status says they're awaiting the delivery of my box at their repair center. Hope my coffin didn't get lost.

In the meantime, I didn't have any freezes last night, but the night before it froze instantly after having NOT played it all weekend. So yeah, I think it's safe to assume the RROD will be permanent soon, but I'll stretch it out as long as I can.[/QUOTE]

I'm waiting on my box also. It's been 7 days since I called. Do the boxes get sent through the mail or UPS?

[quote name='ps2rich']I'm waiting on my box also. It's been 7 days since I called. Do the boxes get sent through the mail or UPS?[/quote] Mine have all been via UPS

Sigh....

My 360 has been acting up for several days now....locking up or not booting at all. So finally tonight, I received the 3 red lights.

I was actually relieved at this point. Now I know its broken and they will fix it for free. I was kind of worried that the damn thing wouldn't have the decency to break in a way that they would fix it.

Now, lets see how long it takes to get it fixed and back.

TBW

PS My system is a release day system and this is the first time I'm sending it back.

PPS I'm also thinking about getting a new XBox, maybe the Halo one when it releases and just selling my refurb when it gets back.

[quote name='Techsticles']Mine have all been via UPS[/QUOTE]

When somebody has become an expert on return boxes for hardware sendbacks... there's a serious problem with the product.

I still haven't received my coffin as well. So I take it everyone usually receives their box in 7 days? Have you had to sign for it, or has UPS just left it at the door?

[quote name='Skylander7']When somebody has become an expert on return boxes for hardware sendbacks... there's a serious problem with the product.

I still haven't received my coffin as well. So I take it everyone usually receives their box in 7 days? Have you had to sign for it, or has UPS just left it at the door?[/QUOTE]

I requested my coffin on a monday through the website and got it that friday. I don't know if a signature was required because I was at work when it came in. fI never spoke to anyone the whole time and just got my return xbox back today.

Oh well, my 360 finally succumbed to the RRoD last week (early Sept 07). It had previously been repaired in Jan 07 for some graphics corruption (no RRoD) in PGR3 and the original unit returned to me.

I just checked the status of my 360 repair online and the serial number changed from XXXXXXX54806 to XXXXXXX79999.
Strange, since that would indicate that it was manufactured in the 99th week of 2007!

So I called up Microsoft Xbox Support and the rep told me that there is no serial number associated with my repair request in the system that she was checking, so I'd most probably be receiving a refurbished unit.
I hope the online serial number will get changed to a valid one when they actually send out the replacement unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back