Official Coffin Support Group - Is your 360 Dead? Post Here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't be surprised if the later parts of this thread get 360's that the earlier people sent back in lol.

What was happening earlier this year = Microsoft would get a 360 in, replace the motherboard, change the serial numbers and send her back. Basically old 360 shell with old 360 dvd drive with a brand spanking new motherboard/internals.

Now what they're doing is synergy. Let's say I send my 360 in for replacement in July. They'll throw a motherboard in mine that's new/refurb, send it back to me. Then my old motherboard gets thrown on the operation table, gets a new processor/GPU, new heatsink and fresh capacitors with replaced X-clamp. Then "Joe376632" sends in his 360 to get fixed in August. My old motherboard with new everything gets dumped into his 360, and his broken motherboard gets thrown on the operation table.

I have a lot of reasons I'd expect them to be doing this- First, the new HDMI motherboard wouldn't fit in an old 360 case, so it makes it easier. The last thing they want to do is replace a case for no reason and have a basically worthless old 360 case and old 360 motherboard. You might say, "Well they could laser cut it", but nope, corporations don't work like that. Everything is done through machine work and factories. When you send a 360 in for repair, I really doubt they're anywhere within 1000 miles of where new 360's are made. They just get "replacement" components. It's like an autoshop for Honda's. They don't have new Honda's there, they just fix them and have parts to fix them.

My second reason for believing it is because Microsoft probably wants to urge current 360 owners to go out and buy a new 360 if they want the HDMI Premium. This is a bit low, I agree, but money talks, as most of you know.

The only way I could see Microsoft drastically changing the way they handle their generosity on the 360 and new 360's, is if Sony made daring moves to threaten the 360 market. They already have contingency plans for that, so it's likely a lot of us are going to be getting refurbished motherboards in our fixed 360's. The sad thing is that it'll likely be another 6 months or longer before we can send a 360 in and get a fresh new motherboard with the 65nm processor and HDMI, because it'll take that long for them to run out of old 360 supplies and be more cost friendly to merely replace entirely.

and here I was secretly... okay, openly, hoping that my replacement unit would have a different DVD - like to see what the fuss over the BenQ's is all about, and I'm a stickler for quiet.

[quote name='velvet396']and here I was secretly... okay, openly, hoping that my replacement unit would have a different DVD - like to see what the fuss over the BenQ's is all about, and I'm a stickler for quiet.[/quote]
Yeah, sorry to burst your bubble, out of 10 360 repair units I've seen returned, none came back with a different drive. All Hitachi, all the same case.

If your DVD drive failed on the other hand...

And honestly, you shouldn't care about the BenQ drive. I don't and that's because it's only quiet until you toss a game in it and then it purrs just like the rest of them.

[quote name='NamelessMC']Don't be surprised if the later parts of this thread get 360's that the earlier people sent back in lol.

What was happening earlier this year = Microsoft would get a 360 in, replace the motherboard, change the serial numbers and send her back. Basically old 360 shell with old 360 dvd drive with a brand spanking new motherboard/internals.

Now what they're doing is synergy. Let's say I send my 360 in for replacement in July. They'll throw a motherboard in mine that's new/refurb, send it back to me. Then my old motherboard gets thrown on the operation table, gets a new processor/GPU, new heatsink and fresh capacitors with replaced X-clamp. Then "Joe376632" sends in his 360 to get fixed in August. My old motherboard with new everything gets dumped into his 360, and his broken motherboard gets thrown on the operation table.

I have a lot of reasons I'd expect them to be doing this- First, the new HDMI motherboard wouldn't fit in an old 360 case, so it makes it easier. The last thing they want to do is replace a case for no reason and have a basically worthless old 360 case and old 360 motherboard. You might say, "Well they could laser cut it", but nope, corporations don't work like that. Everything is done through machine work and factories. When you send a 360 in for repair, I really doubt they're anywhere within 1000 miles of where new 360's are made. They just get "replacement" components. It's like an autoshop for Honda's. They don't have new Honda's there, they just fix them and have parts to fix them.

My second reason for believing it is because Microsoft probably wants to urge current 360 owners to go out and buy a new 360 if they want the HDMI Premium. This is a bit low, I agree, but money talks, as most of you know.

The only way I could see Microsoft drastically changing the way they handle their generosity on the 360 and new 360's, is if Sony made daring moves to threaten the 360 market. They already have contingency plans for that, so it's likely a lot of us are going to be getting refurbished motherboards in our fixed 360's. The sad thing is that it'll likely be another 6 months or longer before we can send a 360 in and get a fresh new motherboard with the 65nm processor and HDMI, because it'll take that long for them to run out of old 360 supplies and be more cost friendly to merely replace entirely.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much what we've all known for a while.

CheapyD needs to grab Major Nelson by the neck and force him to read this thread whenever he gets to Japan.. if anyone in MS's gaming marketing division was worth a grain of salt, they would see that a thread like this with this degree of visibility is a nightmare.

There may not be a fraction of the gaming experience on Sony's console as with the 360.. but at least the thing is a pretty black paperweight on my audio rack that is actually functional.

[quote name='Skylander7']CheapyD needs to grab Major Nelson by the neck and force him to read this thread whenever he gets to Japan.. if anyone in MS's gaming marketing division was worth a grain of salt, they would see that a thread like this with this degree of visibility is a nightmare.

There may not be a fraction of the gaming experience on Sony's console as with the 360.. but at least the thing is a pretty black paperweight on my audio rack that is actually functional.[/quote]

I have a PS3 and I can tell you that, each system has its faults, at least Microsoft extended the warranty and is trying to save face. Sony's doing absolutely nothing to close the gap with Microsoft. They honestly jumped the technology barrier too far.

Back when PS2 came out, it was still kind of "eh" that it had a DVD player and all these features that made it expensive. Everyone was like, "Man, it's $300... But I want it so bad".

2001 wasn't so long ago that $300 then is the same as $600 now lol. If anything we've experienced deflation in the middle-class market, which would explain Wii sales.

I'm happy with my 360 because I get more games, more friends and just over-all "more, more, more" on it. With my PS3, as you said, it's a paperweight. I was anticipating Heavenly Sword and that, for all intents and purposes, is kind of a bomb. I don't want HS fans jumping in here smashing on me, so I'll just say, for anyone that expected a 100% smooth frame-rate game with a long play time, it was a bomb. No HS-fans can argue with that because it's fact.

On 360, when Gears of War came out, it was exactly what people expected. I do get a lot of hours in on Warhawk.

[quote name='NamelessMC']I have a PS3 and I can tell you that, each system has its faults, at least Microsoft extended the warranty and is trying to save face. Sony's doing absolutely nothing to close the gap with Microsoft. They honestly jumped the technology barrier too far.

Back when PS2 came out, it was still kind of "eh" that it had a DVD player and all these features that made it expensive. Everyone was like, "Man, it's $300... But I want it so bad".

2001 wasn't so long ago that $300 then is the same as $600 now lol. If anything we've experienced deflation in the middle-class market, which would explain Wii sales.

I'm happy with my 360 because I get more games, more friends and just over-all "more, more, more" on it. With my PS3, as you said, it's a paperweight. I was anticipating Heavenly Sword and that, for all intents and purposes, is kind of a bomb. I don't want HS fans jumping in here smashing on me, so I'll just say, for anyone that expected a 100% smooth frame-rate game with a long play time, it was a bomb. No HS-fans can argue with that because it's fact.

On 360, when Gears of War came out, it was exactly what people expected. I do get a lot of hours in on Warhawk.[/quote]

Unlike the PS2, which came with the standard format DVD, Sony is taking a chance yet AGAIN (minidisc, anyone?) by creating their own media format to compete with the industry standards. The PS3 is not just competing with the 360 and Wii, but with the industry standard DVD/HD-DVD. They're starting wars on multiple fronts, which is daring and risky.

[quote name='sp00ge']Unlike the PS2, which came with the standard format DVD, Sony is taking a chance yet AGAIN (minidisc, anyone?) by creating their own media format to compete with the industry standards. The PS3 is not just competing with the 360 and Wii, but with the industry standard DVD/HD-DVD. They're starting wars on multiple fronts, which is daring and risky.[/QUOTE]

And by all accounts winning.

MS may have extended the warranty, but how many weeks or months will it be before I get my 360 back?

How are the new HDMI 360s fairing with the RROD? I have not seen any reports on people sending them back. All I have seen is that all 360s have about a 30% failure rate. Do you think that includes Elites?

The wife said my 360 arrived today! I've been without it for about a month - 7 weeks actually if you count when I sent it in at the beginning of August and they sent me back the SAME system with the SAME serial number with the SAME problem

[quote name='NamelessMC']I have a PS3 and I can tell you that, each system has its faults, at least Microsoft extended the warranty and is trying to save face. Sony's doing absolutely nothing to close the gap with Microsoft. They honestly jumped the technology barrier too far.

On 360, when Gears of War came out, it was exactly what people expected. I do get a lot of hours in on Warhawk.[/QUOTE]

Oh there isn't a doubt at all that Sony is atrocious at servicing buggy systems.. the PS2 had shitty disc drives with poor lenses. Hell, I read a few articles a while back where Sony would void a warranty on a PS3 for using a third party HDMI cable. I have alot of gripes with the PS3 (and honestly wouldn't say it warrants a $600 price right now). However.. you have to admit that it isn't haven't the overheating problems as the 360, and the failure rate seems to be alot lower. Hell.. look at Nintendo. You could play soccer with a Gamecube, and the only problems that I've really seen with the Wii is the finicky wireless card.

I'm appreciative that a company the size of Microsoft would extend warranties. However.. the outsourced customer service and extremely slow return times only add to customer frustration. Saying face and offering repairs is a good marketing move to improve consumer faith; however, the poor reputation of actually implementing their promises will only subtract from that effort.

I love the 360, it's a revolutionary step forward in bridging the gap between PC and console gaming (as well as evolving into a true home entertainment multimedia device). However, if you begin getting high failure rate on your hardware in the first 6 months of release.. it's time to go back to the drawing board, use better thermal grease, heatsinks that are worth a damn, and GPU's that won't die. If people can run the old Pentium D and HT Pentium 4's in a Shuttle PC case, with a full fledged graphics card, disc drive, and other PC components.. and not face overheating issues (the reason I state the first 775 socket processors and Pentium D's is because they are enormous heat generators)... then there is no reason that a multi-billion dollar company can't fix the problem before 2 years of release AND maintain relationships with the people that have pulled so many pieces of hardware and provided them with their success with the platform in the first place.

[quote name='abreed']How are the new HDMI 360s fairing with the RROD? I have not seen any reports on people sending them back. All I have seen is that all 360s have about a 30% failure rate. Do you think that includes Elites?[/QUOTE]

The "30%" failure rate statistic is irrelevant. The fact is, 100% of 360's will fail if they get hot enough. I understand this is common sense, but it needs to be pointed out (again). If your 360 is on for hours every day, eventually it'll get the RRoD. 100% of the time. It's been shown time after time that it's not a question of "if", but a question of "when".

Also an update for my RRoD 360:

The serial number just changed to a 0737, meaning it was refurbished sometime at the end of August. They received my 360 on 29 August and are now sending it back 13 days later. It seems they're getting faster.

[quote name='heybtbm']
The serial number just changed to a 0737, meaning it was refurbished sometime at the end of August. They received my 360 on 29 August and are now sending it back 13 days later. It seems they're getting faster.[/QUOTE]

One can only hope. Hopefully I'll be about two weeks out.

[quote name='heybtbm']The "30%" failure rate statistic is irrelevant. The fact is, 100% of 360's will fail if they get hot enough. I understand this is common sense, but it needs to be pointed out (again). If your 360 is on for hours every day, eventually it'll get the RRoD. 100% of the time. It's been shown time after time that it's not a question of "if", but a question of "when".

[/QUOTE]

Obviously… still the question has not been answered. If you use that logic, everything in the world has 100% failure rate. Humans have 100% failure rate, since it is not a matter of if you will die, it is when. All I was wondering… are the failure rates for the new HDMI/Elites comparable to the older models. Granted, the newer models have not been played as much, but has anyone tested them side by side? I am sure Microsoft has, but does anyone have any reasonable proof at all that the HDMIs are more stable than the classic ones. It can be assumed the problem is slightly resolved, if the problem was the expected overheating, by the large heat sink. But is there any proof to any of those claims?

[quote name='abreed']Obviously… still the question has not been answered. If you use that logic, everything in the world has 100% failure rate. Humans have 100% failure rate, since it is not a matter of if you will die, it is when. All I was wondering… are the failure rates for the new HDMI/Elites comparable to the older models. Granted, the newer models have not been played as much, but has anyone tested them side by side? I am sure Microsoft has, but does anyone have any reasonable proof at all that the HDMIs are more stable than the classic ones. It can be assumed the problem is slightly resolved, if the problem was the expected overheating, by the large heat sink. But is there any proof to any of those claims?[/QUOTE]

Not to be pedantic, but death is not an aberration, but part of the normal cycle... We all die. Now, a better argument would have been cancer. We are not all eventually going to get cancer and die, but some of us will... it brings about the inevitable end of something (us), but in a manner (or time frame) we do not expect. Sort of like your car seizing up after 20,000 miles... it would eventually wear down and need fixing, but at 20k, you wouldn't expect the thing to leave you stranded on the road. :)

However, we're not buying the 360 just to have it expectantly die with the RRoD. That's an unexpected (expected, I suppose if it's already happened to you) result. Sure parts will fail on the unit and need fixing, or replacing... but not within the first 3 years of use... goodness knows, it's like the equivalent of console cancer... unexpected, but far too common with the original batch of 360's.

What is true is at some point since the "free 3 year warranty" announcement and the HDMI Premiums, we got a batch of consoles (and going forward should have more of those) that address what could be considered one of the issues with the RRoD, heat and the heatsink. The 65nm chips will reduce it a little more, as well as power consumption, but they're still out a ways, I guess.

But like you said, we've not gotten enough statistical evidence on the new ones to see if the "fix" is indeed the ultimate fix that prevents the inevitable (and unintentional) RRoD...

I play my 6/7/07 elite sometimes hours on end like my old one (11/6/06) which never died (I have it as a travel system)... so anecdotally, I'll have more specific information about my Elite, should it ever get the RRoD (it has the new heatsinks, but the 90mm chips)

I am more confident of the long-term life of my Elite than my old Premium, but nothing's 100% yet... we're in transition...

[quote name='Skylander7']

I love the 360, it's a revolutionary step forward in bridging the gap between PC and console gaming (as well as evolving into a true home entertainment multimedia device). However, if you begin getting high failure rate on your hardware in the first 6 months of release.. it's time to go back to the drawing board, use better thermal grease, heatsinks that are worth a damn, and GPU's that won't die. If people can run the old Pentium D and HT Pentium 4's in a Shuttle PC case, with a full fledged graphics card, disc drive, and other PC components.. and not face overheating issues (the reason I state the first 775 socket processors and Pentium D's is because they are enormous heat generators)... then there is no reason that a multi-billion dollar company can't fix the problem before 2 years of release AND maintain relationships with the people that have pulled so many pieces of hardware and provided them with their success with the platform in the first place.[/quote]

I agree, but nothing changes the fact that it's a mistake. It's a mistake companies make, but does it really compare to the PS2 problems? The problem with PS2's wasn't just that they failed, but they failed at such an awkward percentage that it didn't warrant a blanket warranty extension. They weren't going to throw a new warranty at us over a 17% failure rate.

What I'm saying is that this problem is huge, but at least Microsoft is acknowledging it and taking it face on. Sure, to deny it outright and leave us to the wolves would be atrocious and lose a LOT of face for them amongst gamers, but would it be the FIRST time something like that has happened? Look how many Game Console manufacturers have "bought the farm".

I'm saying we're in a pretty good spot, considering the failures are high enough to a point that Microsoft couldn't look the other way, and the company backing our system is in such a prestigious positive revenue that they can afford to dump money in replacements, which is essentially what they're doing. You have no idea how much positive revenue they probably lost, hiring and spending money on the service facilities they have now. There's no way a company like say, Sony or Nintendo, would be able to handle the flow of service we're needing with 360's. Sure you could say, "Well that's why Wii's and PS3's aren't failing", but with hardware nowadays, you just never know.

To be perfectly honest with you, with modern technology, I'm happier when things break earlier in their lifetime, because at least they're covered under warranty at that point. With modern technology, with the exception of Toyotas and certain PC parts, it's not a question of whether or not something will give you problems, but a question of whether or not the company will help you when it does.

Even though I bought a 3 year extended warranty on my Playstation 3, I still give it a funny eye every now and then, cuz his little brother cost me lots of money. ($299 on a launch unit, $199 on replacement, $150 on slim PS2. Slim was the only one that lived and the other 2 died AFTER the warranty expired, how convenient)

I don't understand why it takes them so long with the 360 at the service center. I mean especially if they're going to swap it for another console..

Well I received my first coffin today. I'm upset that this is my first console to ever die/malfunction, but I commend MS on taking full responsibility and working to resolve the problem. Sure I might be without my 360 for a few weeks, but it isn't like I don't have other consoles or a life outside of gaming. Also I wanted to ask all of you who sent there system back did you remove your faceplate? The Customer Service rep said to, but the instructions included with the box says, "Custom Face plates". The sooner I have this answer the better, that way I can get my system shipped out, thanks:D

[quote name='neudog']Well I received my first coffin today. I'm upset that this is my first console to ever die/malfunction, but I commend MS on taking full responsibility and working to resolve the problem. Sure I might be without my 360 for a few weeks, but it isn't like I don't have other consoles or a life outside of gaming. Also I wanted to ask all of you who sent there system back did you remove your faceplate? The Customer Service rep said to, but the instructions included with the box says, "Custom Face plates". The sooner I have this answer the better, that way I can get my system shipped out, thanks:D[/quote]

No, I left the white face plate on the first time, and my second time that I just sent in

Does anyone else have their demos shit out on them randomly?

I CANT download the COD4 beta, nor the FIFA08 demo....what the hell? I try countless times and it never works.

[quote name='MrDubbs']I don't understand why it takes them so long with the 360 at the service center. I mean especially if they're going to swap it for another console..[/quote]

It's taking longer now because they're not simply throwing new motherboards in. Because of the HDMI Premium and probably incompatibilities from old hardware with new motherboards, they're fixing sent in units by putting rebuilt/refurbished motherboards from previously sent in systems.

It's taking longer, simply because the repair process is longer.

6 months ago if you sent one in, you got a new 360 motherboard. Now if you send one in, you get an older motherboard with new components.

Either way I give it 3-4 months before we stop getting "old" motherboards and they're forced to replace our 360's internals entirely. That's when people will be getting "HDMI units" back from repairs. At least I hope so.

[quote name='Milkyman']My refurb seems to be working fine, but I still get nervous every time I turn it on. Does this go away?[/quote]

Person to person. As soon as I got my 360 back, I just beat the piss out of it just like I did before, but I don't think I was jittery because mine was a launch system and lasted until 2 months ago. My friend was the same way. Got his back, immediately started playing the piss out of it again. I think knowing Microsoft "owes you one" leaves you a little more freedom. It's different than say, getting in a car accident and being a cautious driver.

The ROD finally became permanent last night. Error code 0102 GPU failure. I'm at work and it's sitting in the car all packaged up in its coffin, waiting for me to take it to the UPS dropoff location. So much for the Halo3 launch.

[quote name='NamelessMC']It's taking longer now because they're not simply throwing new motherboards in. Because of the HDMI Premium and probably incompatibilities from old hardware with new motherboards, they're fixing sent in units by putting rebuilt/refurbished motherboards from previously sent in systems.

It's taking longer, simply because the repair process is longer.

6 months ago if you sent one in, you got a new 360 motherboard. Now if you send one in, you get an older motherboard with new components.

Either way I give it 3-4 months before we stop getting "old" motherboards and they're forced to replace our 360's internals entirely. That's when people will be getting "HDMI units" back from repairs. At least I hope so.[/QUOTE]

This is a bit misleading.

They aren't "fixing" the units you send in and sending the same one back. Microsoft is simply taking your "broken" 360 and placing it in a pile (so to speak). They have tech's working on and repairing those broken 360's. Other tech's are simply taking "fixed" (i.e. refurbished) 360's from another pile and sending those out. The time it takes to receive a 360 has nothing to do with the time it takes to repair a unit. You're not getting the same machine you send in.

Edited: To clarify a bit.

[quote name='Techsticles']Review + Update

The new XBox 360 Premium I bought in February had the nic port die on Sunday 7/22, I called and got a coffin shipped.

7/26 said coffin arrived and was shipped back the next day.

A replacement system with new heat sinks and a 7/27/07 manufacture date arrived to me on Friday 8/10.

Saturday 8/17 that system RROD'd when I got a Catan achievement. During this 1 week of use the system had been used less than 10 hours and other than the Bioshock demo, only Live Arcade games had been played on it. I called the repair number and they promised to send another coffin. Also gave me a choice of a free game from several launch titles I already owned for my trouble.

Thursday 8/23 I recieved another coffin and have just returned home from dropping it off at the closest UPS location.

Friday 8/24 Delivered to repair center. (I live in TX)

Monday 9/10 The XBox Service site shows a new serial number so hopefully that means I should finally be getting another system in the next week. Like most of you, I had zero notice about shipping.[/quote]

Thursday 9/13 My latest refurb arrived and has a rather noisey lose sounding laser that was audible from inside the sealed box. I turned it on and was greated to the dashboard. Unfortunately I redownloaded all 19 of my Live Arcade Game purchases and all of them require me to be logged in to use them. =? I'll have to call Microsoft tonight, but from what I understand they no longer give a shit about your Live Arcade purchases working offline.

I was wondering what the signs were? So far my 360 has locked up on me from time to time. At first it was just during the CoD4 MP Beta but now it is also during Marvel UA Gold. It has been doing this more and more. Another thing it is now doing is giveing me a disc read error. Atleast for Marvel UA Gold it is. When it loads the next part of the game in the past three days I have got the error about 4 or 5 times. I'm not sure if it is because the middle part that hold the game was busted or not. Half of that was broke and the disc does not stay in it well. However when I looked at the disc it looks fine. All I have to do is go back in and the game plays great for about an hour or 2 after that then I might have the issue again. So are the two things signs that I might get the Red Rings soon?

Random lock-ups, games freezing, sometimes being choppy, the fan being really loud even when you've only played briefly, loading errors. Those are pretty concrete on being ROD warnings.

[quote name='Kendal']Your bridge called. It wants it's ugly troll back.[/QUOTE]
Actually he's exactly right. Seriously, that really isn't even an exaggeration.

Another replacement 360 died on me yesterday.

[quote name='dragonreborn23']Hehe, you purchase an Xbox 360.[/QUOTE]
This should be modified to say "before aug 07 manufacture date"

My first one died after a year and 3 months with the replacement from bestbuy lasting a week then the update killed it and the third is still going fine... kinda starts up slower than my launch unit though. Neither of them had any signs they would die.

So if I send them mine when it dies will I get mine back or will I get a different one? I don't want to end up geting a refurbished one and not get mine.

You may not but I do care if I get mine back or a refurbed one. I know when this all first started people would send in premiums and get back cores. I don't know if that has changed but I want mine. I'm half ass tempted to mark mine to see if it is mine or not that I get back. Any one know about how long it takes to get the red rings once it starts? I just started hearing the fan get louder today. The disc read errors have been for the past 3 or 4 days and the lockups have been from when the CoD 4 MP beta started.

[quote name='shnizzle66']Does anyone else have their demos shit out on them randomly?

I CANT download the COD4 beta, nor the FIFA08 demo....what the hell? I try countless times and it never works.[/quote]
No one else?

This is a refurb btw...

And my PS3 just downloaded all the demos I queued on it. So it's not my connection...

[quote name='sendme']You may not but I do care if I get mine back or a refurbed one. I know when this all first started people would send in premiums and get back cores. I don't know if that has changed but I want mine. I'm half ass tempted to mark mine to see if it is mine or not that I get back. Any one know about how long it takes to get the red rings once it starts? I just started hearing the fan get louder today. The disc read errors have been for the past 3 or 4 days and the lockups have been from when the CoD 4 MP beta started.[/QUOTE]

Good luck with this. MS could just easily place your plastic housing around refurbished innards. Sure I would like mine back, but whose to say it will be better than another. I wish everyone who got the "RRoD would receive a new HDMI version.

[quote name='sendme']You may not but I do care if I get mine back or a refurbed one. I know when this all first started people would send in premiums and get back cores. I don't know if that has changed but I want mine. I'm half ass tempted to mark mine to see if it is mine or not that I get back. Any one know about how long it takes to get the red rings once it starts? I just started hearing the fan get louder today. The disc read errors have been for the past 3 or 4 days and the lockups have been from when the CoD 4 MP beta started.[/QUOTE]

isn't the only hardware difference between a core and a harddrive-less premium the color of the dvd drive tray?

[quote name='Milkyman']isn't the only hardware difference between a core and a harddrive-less premium the color of the dvd drive tray?[/QUOTE]

Could be but I'm not sure. I know at launch they did not come with the same cables and the core lacked the hard drive. Thats all other then looks. I thought I had read that the core was only able to use wired controllers and not use wireless. I know it only came with wired so I'm not sure if I read something that was wrong or out of date or what. Any one that has had to send thiers in that had a premium did you get a premium back?

[quote name='sendme']Could be but I'm not sure. I know at launch they did not come with the same cables and the core lacked the hard drive. Thats all other then looks. I thought I had read that the core was only able to use wired controllers and not use wireless. I know it only came with wired so I'm not sure if I read something that was wrong or out of date or what. Any one that has had to send thiers in that had a premium did you get a premium back?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty positive that it is the same, just came with different stuff ie wired controller and standard def cables and no hard drive. I sent in a premium and got a premium back judging by the only cosmetic difference I know of, the drive tray.

[quote name='Milkyman']I'm pretty positive that it is the same, just came with different stuff ie wired controller and standard def cables and no hard drive. I sent in a premium and got a premium back judging by the only cosmetic difference I know of, the drive tray.[/quote]

Yeah, that's the only physical difference between the two. I was sent a premium as a replacement, which I am still angry about. I made sure to get a core just for the fact i didn't like the chrome tray.

Anyone with a core want to trade drive faces? :D

I'm here to sign up for the Red Ring of Death club. :cry:

The reason I'm frustrated that I won't get the same one back is because of all of my downloads.

I've read that once you get a new system, it makes it annoying for other people to play downloaded games on your harddrive.

That sucks.

Also, does anyone know when the new Xboxs are shipping?

The ones that supposedly are going to run cooler and quieter because of the new hardware design?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back