Official Coffin Support Group - Is your 360 Dead? Post Here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you get them to fix it for free? Mine was manufactured 9/05, keeps getting red rings so I call them up and they won't let me fix it for free unless he has the official statement on a microsoft website which I can't find (22 page thread on xbox.com wasn't enough)

So I'm getting a coffin shipped to me this week. Manufacture date: 10/20/05, Crash date 10/19/06. Made it one whole year then gave out. :roll: Well it isn't completely dead, but it locks up anytime it has to draw 3D objects. Not quite up to par for a next gen video game console. I have the warranty so they're paying for everything. They want me to ship the hard drive w/the console.

Should I send the hard drive back or keep it? (I bought a premium.) Thanks all!

Just had a 360 die completely on me today. I first had problems with the screen freezing and showing either a green screen or a checkered screen (no red blinking lights of death). I then call up the 800 number and MS had an option for freezing screens. I listen to the advice and hear the date one so I hang up to test it out. Turn on my 360 and 3 red blinking lights pop up. I call again, but this time I chose the 3 red blinking lights option. I then hang up and do the huge circle jerk of BS MS wanted me to do.

Doesn't fix anything so I call up again. This time I talk to a customer service rep. Blah blah blah did you do any trouble shooting, yes. Blah blah blah is the power light on the power supply green, yes. Blah blah blah I tell her my serial number again and tell her again that I have a 2 year service contract. Blah blah blah Do you want to send it in, of course jackass why do you think I am calling. Blah blah blah you have to pay for shipping, wtf???!!!! That's when I tore the lady a new asshole. I told her that 2 year service contract states that MS will pay for all shipping expenses and that even without it MS extended the warranty of consoles made before Jan 1st 2006 meaning that either way MS foots the bill. I get put on hold. Waited literally twenty minutes before she comes back and says I am right and sorry for the hassle. The box should be here in 4 days.

Hopefully I get it back before Gears of War comes out. :(

Ok Well back on 9-13 I did the heat gun trcik to fix my 360. It was only a temp. fix. Yesterday my 360 started to freeze like it did before. I did the Heat gun fix again and it seemed to work but when I started up my 360 same freezing issues. I do not suggest the heat gun fix as it is only a temp solution. I wish MS would have rolled out there 1 year warrenty 2 weeks prior the day they annoucned it. Now I'll just have to piece out my 360 on Ebay then buy a Core.

My system was shipped out yesterday from the repair center they only had it for a day before shipping the new one out. I must be getting a different 360 because I doubt they fixed it in a days time. I hope it is not all beat up like a few have claimed the referbs are. Also on a side note has anyone got a core referb (no chrome) when they sent in a premium?

sorry for not going through the entire thread.. but i purchased my 360 online from bestbuy.com in feb... so i dont have a service plan..

my system has been acting up lately and the drive makes noises when booting games or exiting games and returning to dashboard..

should i call microsoft and try to buy their warranty and have them fix/exchange it..?

[quote name='guyver2077']sorry for not going through the entire thread.. but i purchased my 360 online from bestbuy.com in feb... so i dont have a service plan..

my system has been acting up lately and the drive makes noises when booting games or exiting games and returning to dashboard..

should i call microsoft and try to buy their warranty and have them fix/exchange it..?[/QUOTE]
What is the manufactured date?

[quote name='spoo']What is the manufactured date?[/quote]

fuck will have to check that when i get home... dont remember

also has anyone had problems downloading specific content from marketplace..

no matter what i tried for instance, i can not download the fear demo or jessica simpson 720p video.. system always freezes..

[quote name='guyver2077']fuck will have to check that when i get home... dont remember

also has anyone had problems downloading specific content from marketplace..

no matter what i tried for instance, i can not download the fear demo or jessica simpson 720p video.. system always freezes..[/QUOTE]
You have a good chance that it was manufactured before 01/06. If it was manufactured before 01/06 they will fix it for free. If not it wouldn't hurt to try to get MS to let you buy the 1/2 year warranty.

The DL problems are odd and it could be many different things...

[quote name='guyver2077']well my shit was manufactured 02/06[/QUOTE]
Ah shit that sucks. I went ahead today and bought a new Core System. Ebay is where my broken one will go.

Well, finally got my replacement back. Took 3 weeks from making the call to arriving at my door. Disappointed that the replacement's manufacture date is actually older than my original one... from 11/29/05 to 11/15/05. Was hoping to get a '06 model.

Obviously a refurb, cosmetically looks ok except for a slight crack on the faceplate near that slot where the wired controllers go.

Working so far, let's see how long it lasts...

I'm keeping the box since people are saying MS won't supply one anymore, just in case.

Hi I'm Lowgear.......I have denied that so many 360'scould be faulty as mine was a launch console and besides random freezing.....worked great. Then Splinter Cell goes in my system and basically, thats where everything went to hell. I am convinced that these games that push the system to work, "expose" what your system really is. Mine was bad from day one but took a good game to finally kill it. Manufature date......Oct 22

My 360 died a few days ago. I was watching a video downloaded from the marketplace. Suddenly the video goes FUBAR. The whole screen was filled with horizontal stripes of different colors. The audio was still working though. I turned-off the console. I turned it on. No video signal at all! I tried both a VGA cable and the component cable from the Premium bundle. I tried with my PC monitor, a PJ and a retro-CRT. No luck.

Yesterday I lost about 2 hours talking to a bunch of retarded CSR. I hang up when the last one told me that my console (made in 01/04/06 and bought in Feb 06) was out of warranty. WTF only 90 days of warranty?!? I turned down the EB Replacement plan because I thought the default warranty was a year :( .

I shelled out $139 today.
I'm gonna ship it today. Hopefully I'll get it back in a few days. I got a service center a few miles away.

Okay mine crapped out today so I will either send it in for repairs (I had it since launch so it will be free) or buy a new core.

The deciding factor is the rumors I hear about losing all your game saves. I have never read up on any of this cuz I always thought it would never happen to my 360. But that is one of the things I remember hearing about. Can't I just not send in the HDD or is it required to do so. And does the same hold true to XBLA games? Will I lose them too? I have a memory card, but not sure how many games saves I can fit on there. If this is a problem I may just buy a new core.

They told me to not send in my HDD along with any other accessories. The second time, I was even told to remove the faceplate.

[quote name='mr ryles']Okay mine crapped out today so I will either send it in for repairs (I had it since launch so it will be free) or buy a new core.

The deciding factor is the rumors I hear about losing all your game saves. I have never read up on any of this cuz I always thought it would never happen to my 360. But that is one of the things I remember hearing about. Can't I just not send in the HDD or is it required to do so. And does the same hold true to XBLA games? Will I lose them too? I have a memory card, but not sure how many games saves I can fit on there. If this is a problem I may just buy a new core.[/QUOTE]

I thought they were telling people not to send in there HDD's?

My 360 joined the ranks of the dead about 10 days ago. I never had a problem at all. It gave no warning signs. Until the day I tried to play...Dig Dug. It froze repeatedly then the red lights of death began to show themselves. For a few days I could play games for 30-45 minutes but it got worse and worse until at this point the red lights come on as soon as I power up. I shipped it out to MS today. I had to pay shipping but since I got an early system I don't have to pay for the repairs fortunately. I just know it was those Pookas! DAMN YOU POOKAS! Someday I will get my 360 back and then I will explode you good!

[quote name='pimpinc333']I thought they were telling people not to send in there HDD's?[/QUOTE]

Then what where all the stories about people losing there game saves?

[quote name='mr ryles']Then what where all the stories about people losing there game saves?[/quote]I don't know. Probably the people who sent in their HDDs and were sent back a completely new/refurbished/formatted system.

Then again, I don't know how that's possible considering the box they send you can only fit an HDD-less system.

[quote name='pimpinc333']I thought they were telling people not to send in there HDD's?[/QUOTE]

M$ said to NOT SEND THE HARD DRIVE OR FACEPLATE. this was Friday night

[quote name='crowbb']My 360 joined the ranks of the dead about 10 days ago. I never had a problem at all. It gave no warning signs. Until the day I tried to play...Dig Dug. It froze repeatedly then the red lights of death began to show themselves. For a few days I could play games for 30-45 minutes but it got worse and worse until at this point the red lights come on as soon as I power up. I shipped it out to MS today. I had to pay shipping but since I got an early system I don't have to pay for the repairs fortunately. I just know it was those Pookas! DAMN YOU POOKAS! Someday I will get my 360 back and then I will explode you good![/QUOTE]
How much did the shipping cost?

[quote name='pimpinc333']Ah shit that sucks. I went ahead today and bought a new Core System. Ebay is where my broken one will go.[/quote]

so does this mean that they wont sell me the warranty??? i was hoping i could call them and they would let me purchase it..

im kind of regretting not buying my 360 instore now.. i bought it on bestbuy.com.. so i didnt get an option for warranty..

my friends lucky.. he bought in store.. and he just exchanged it yesterday for a new system manufactered june 06

SO they don't give me a prepaid box now either. Guess I'll have to pay $25 to ship it.

Oh and does anyone know the address you send it to? Mainly what city. The spelling I got from some indian guy I couldn't understand was McClelan, TX. Which I don't think is right.

[quote name='mr ryles']SO they don't give me a prepaid box now either. Guess I'll have to pay $25 to ship it.

Oh and does anyone know the address you send it to? Mainly what city. The spelling I got from some indian guy I couldn't understand was McClelan, TX. Which I don't think is right.[/quote]McAllen, Texas

When did they stop sending coffins? Called today to get a repair request in and they told me I had to ship it. Didn't register until after I hung up that I had to pay for shipping.

so if i dont get a 1/2 y warranty before my 90 days are up, would i be stuck with a broken xbox? it hasnt yet, but ive gotten signs of it freezing during long spans of playing games

[quote name='spoo']You have a good chance that it was manufactured before 01/06. If it was manufactured before 01/06 they will fix it for free. If not it wouldn't hurt to try to get MS to let you buy the 1/2 year warranty.

The DL problems are odd and it could be many different things...[/QUOTE]

How do you get them to fix it for free if it's manufactured before 1/06? I've talked to 4 different reps and they all said it'll be $140 so I filed a complaint with the BBB

my friend was able to call mircosoft and sign up for the warrAnty and he got his 360 this year after me....

wont they let me do the same...?

Sooooooo after 5 days of waiting for a coffin, no box on my door step. I call today to find out that my repair order was inexplicabily cancelled two days after I called. The rep had absolutely no idea why it was cancelled, but he put in another one. Now I have to wait another 3-5 days. I'm going to call tomorrow or the next day to make sure it's okay. If they fuck it up again, I'm going to ask to speak to a manager directly. :bomb:

Mine should be here tomorrow AM, I hope it works well. I will be buying the 2 year MS warranty when I get it back.

Edit: I got mine today it is a refurbished unit with a 11/x/05 date but I got a free HDD:bouncy:

sent mine out today. Hopefully they should have it by thursday at the latest, then how ever long it takes them to fix it. Here's hoping I have it by the end of next week. As I should have Gears of war and tony hawk 8 by then.

I have good news and very bad news about my new console.
Good news as stated above I got a free HDD.
Very bad news is I started up my 360 for the first time, I picked English as my language it asked me to pick a profile and I picked SPO0 it updated my firmware and it reset the console and boom error E71. I did the normal trouble shooting and I'm still getting error E71. I called MYXBOX and I got a lady that spoke very poor English and told me that my console was overheating I told her it isn't over heating it is cool to the touch and hasn't been on for more then 3 minutes at a time. She offered to send in a service repair and I said I didn't want that since I just got my system back an hour ago from getting repaired. GRRRRR!!!! I'm going to call back later and hopefully I get someone that can speak English.

I went from:bouncy: to :wall:

DO NOT UPDATE YOUR REFURBISHED 360! I am not sure if this will happen if you setup your console before you update but I found many reports of this happening on new and refurbished systems by doing what I did.

I had a coffin scare last night. Went to join my brother in some GRAW co-op over XBL but every time it got to the map loading screen, the unit would freeze. I shut it down, took the disc out (was very hot) and let it cool for 5 minutes. After that it worked fine for another hour or so before I went to bed.

It seems fine now (played some Marvel: UA this morning with no problems) but I'm worried this could be the beginning of something.

So Im going to get a new 360 Friday night at Gamestop. Do you guys think I should get the Microsoft warranty or the Extended one through Gamestop? Both seems to have their advantages. Anyone else have one through Gamestop or EB that has had to exchange a system? Im just curious if they make you return the hard drive too.

So my 360 decided to die yesterday. Thankfully I got it from Costco, which I hear is very leniant on returns. Has anyone gone through the process? Can I just swap the unit or do I have to go thru the whole return process?

[quote name='FrankySox']Are people only having problems with systems dated before 2006, or are their 2006 dated systems acting up as well?[/QUOTE]

Mine was from launch. One night NBA 2k7 just kept on freezing before I even made it to the menus, then after 10 minutes of that it wouldn't even turn on and I just kept on getting 3 red lights.

[quote name='isaac']When did they stop sending coffins? Called today to get a repair request in and they told me I had to ship it. Didn't register until after I hung up that I had to pay for shipping.[/QUOTE]

Uh, dude... did you make damn sure the rep on the other end knew and aknowledged you had the 2 year replacement plan? (you do right?)

Cuz that's the line the girl gave me at first, and I was like "HUH!?" and then we established I had the warranty and she quickly changed the story and said they'd send out a coffin and pay for all the shipping.

If you have the warranty, CALL THEM BACK before you do ANYTHING. Cuz chances are if you ship it, they will bypass your warranty and charge ya like $150 for repairs.

I got a new Xbox 360 last Thursday and it was giving me 3 friendly red lights by Monday. M$ support told me that it was not new but had been bought in June so now I have to fax proof that I bought it last week. I don't know how they would think it was bought in June, it was not used or a refurb, nor was there any indication that it had been opened before.

T

My 360 worked fine for 6 months. A couple of weeks ago it started freezing occasionally playing Lego Star Wars. I thought it was the game but it froze in other games also. It starting working fine again with no freezing. I was able to apply the fall update without any problems. However, every game would start freezing after 5 minutes. Last night I started getting the 3 red lights and now it won't even start up. The secondary error code I am getting is 0102 which is the unknown hardware failure. My manufacture date is 02/06.

damn if they are giving you problems the BBB is the way to go

for 2 weeks i've been calling telling about the 1 year thing on consoles manufactured in 05 and how i should get mine repaired for free. no one listened to me so on fri i filed a complaint with the BBB, monday morning they called me up and arranged pick up, box came on wed and now it's in Texas this morning

[quote name='rsigley']damn if they are giving you problems the BBB is the way to go

for 2 weeks i've been calling telling about the 1 year thing on consoles manufactured in 05 and how i should get mine repaired for free. no one listened to me so on fri i filed a complaint with the BBB, monday morning they called me up and arranged pick up, box came on wed and now it's in Texas this morning[/quote]Nice. Glad you got your console in the service center.

Did you inform them you had contacted the BBB or did MS somehow find out you did it (perhaps were given notice of your complaint by the BBB) and were now taking care of the problem?

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Nice. Glad you got your console in the service center.

Did you inform them you had contacted the BBB or did MS somehow find out you did it (perhaps were given notice of your complaint by the BBB) and were now taking care of the problem?[/QUOTE]

I filed the complaint with the BBB late on Friday (around 5pm). The BBB emailed me monday morning (10am or so) saying they contacted microsoft and it could take up to 30 days for them to respond. Around 1pm on Monday I got a call from MS and were like we're calling you regarding your case with the BBB and they had my case history already even though i forgot to give the BBB my reference number

after they called me took 2 minutes to verify my address and for them to give me a free repair

So very quick time from when the BBB submitted the complaint to MS to them actually calling me.

only complaint is that it took so long because they were giving me so many different answers and promises they'll call me back that I had to goto the BBB. Seemed like I'd get a different story depending on which person I got on the phone.

[quote name='rsigley']I filed the complaint with the BBB late on Friday (around 5pm). The BBB emailed me monday morning (10am or so) saying they contacted microsoft and it could take up to 30 days for them to respond. Around 1pm on Monday I got a call from MS and were like we're calling you regarding your case with the BBB and they had my case history already even though i forgot to give the BBB my reference number

after they called me took 2 minutes to verify my address and for them to give me a free repair

So very quick time from when the BBB submitted the complaint to MS to them actually calling me.

only complaint is that it took so long because they were giving me so many different answers and promises they'll call me back that I had to goto the BBB. Seemed like I'd get a different story depending on which person I got on the phone.[/quote]Worked out in the end for you, it's just too bad it took you having to jump through so many hoops to get service. Reminds me, I'll have to buy the extended MS warranty for my 360 though news of having to pay for shipping now has me a bit peeved.

[quote name='rsigley']I filed the complaint with the BBB late on Friday (around 5pm). The BBB emailed me monday morning (10am or so) saying they contacted microsoft and it could take up to 30 days for them to respond. Around 1pm on Monday I got a call from MS and were like we're calling you regarding your case with the BBB and they had my case history already even though i forgot to give the BBB my reference number...
[/quote]

Ok, my unit died after 5 days of use. I call M$ who tells me that it is not in warranty and I have to fax them a receipt to prove otherwise. I fax that on Friday. I call them back on Saturday (today) and they tell me to try calling again next Thursday. If my warranty information is not fixed by then, I will file a complaint as well. I have never had a company take so long to accept a warranty, nor do I like the fact that they told me I bought it this summer, not in October.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back