Official Coffin Support Group - Is your 360 Dead? Post Here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new dashboard killed my 360...after all of this, a dashboard update killed it. Wow...

At least I understand it that Microsoft will replace these systems, but how can that happen???

I'm having some real bad experiences with MS customer care. They told me when I called them Tuesday that they would ship me out a box. I haven't received a box yet so I thought I would give them a call and get a tracking number.

I waited on hold for 25 minutes just to have the guy tell me that the last customer service rep gave me some bad info and they are not going to send me a box and I will need to send in my console on my dime.

I had to put the phone down for a few seconds just to take a deep breath just to stay calm. I explained to the guy what happened and told him she clearly told me that you are shipping me a box. If I was instructed to ship the console to the repair center I would have shipped it already and would be in TX getting fixed as we speak.
I was put on hold....wait.....wait.....He comes back on the line and told me "We will ship you out a box." Ok, I'm back on track finally "When can I expect my box?" He told me I should have it on Monday but I am doubting I will get it Monday but I have my fingers crossed.

The main reason I am with Xbox this generation is because I have had shitty experiences with my launch PSX breaking and 3 PS2 breaking on me. I thought Sony had shitty customer service but MS takes the cake. I'm not sure if I can recommend the 360 anymore to anyone. My refurbished was bricked without ev en playing it because MS didn't test the new firmware upgrade with consoles that haven't had a firmware upgrade. My refurbished console even came with a broken network adapter, the CAT E5 won't click in place and just sits in the input.

I feel better now.

EDIT 11/06: My box didn't come today and I called MS to get some information and as far as I could understand they still haven't shipped me out a box. (Every time I call I get someone that can speak less English then the time before.) The customer service representative told me that I should expect it in a few more days and they are putting a rush order on it (The same thing the CSR told me Sat. but he told me I would have my box today.) This is getting down right silly and very frustrating. I get jerked around every time I call. I can't understand how things went from rather good experience with MS and sending me out me out my shipping box and receiving my console effortless to this. This is MS fault that my refurbished system was bricked they should be doing back flips for me and others that had the same happen to them. This and the many others that are having to go through the BBB just to get their systems that are under warranty fixed for them is unacceptable business practice. I doubt this will be my last rant but I pray that it will be my last rant.

EDIT 11/8:
Called back today asked for a supervisor and finally got some straight answers. I should receive my box on Friday 11/10 but he told me more realistically I should get it Monday 11/13. Damn this is taking almost as long just to get a box as it took me for the whole process last time. It is really frustrating since this is the big week for 360 games.

Edit 11/10: Still no box, this whole thing is a crock of shit. I borrowed my brothers 360 yesterday to play some GoW and he is letting me borrow his for a few days. If my box doesn't come Monday MS is going to get an earful. Monday will mark 2 weeks since my order for a box and a bit over a month since I have had a working 360.

Edit 11/13: Box is still not here. I'm going to call customer service once again... To be continued...
Edit 11/13 part II: Called today 11/13, NOW I'M PISSED of after talking the the csr. Nicest and most informative csr I've talked to yet but.... I get put on hold for the supervisor every 5 min or so he chimes in and tells me I'm still in queue.... 35 min. pass and total time of the call 50 min. and I finally get told by the csr that the supervisor looked into my issue and I need to start over with the process and call back in an hour.... I waited 40 min. to talk to a supervisor but I still didn't get to talk to one.... To be continued again...
Edit 11/13 part III: Called back after the hour they told me to wait and I asked for a supervisor right off the bat. After 1 hour and 37 minutes I got my "new" order in and free copy of Kameo :-({|= . I just want my console working in a timely matter, I don't care about a $10 game. I just want my box to send the damn thing in. They didn't understand why I wanted to talk to a supervisor but I was sick of incompetent peons that couldn't get a simple box to my place in 2 weeks without telling me a lie each time I call.
Edit 11/20: This is bullshit still no box. I am still borrowing my brothers 360 but I need to give it back to him since he has been wanting to play Gears of War. At this rate I will be lucky to have my console by Christmas.
Edit 11/20 part II: I called and I got a DC # they told me they shipped it yesterday (normal MS customer service bull shit because yesterday was Sunday. I enter the tracking # to track it at UPS it isn't showing up yet...
Edit 11/21: Tracking # works but it states: " Billing information has been sent to UPS. Check site later for updated shipment status or contact shipper for more details." It seems I won't get my box until early next week since this is a holiday week. It now has been 38 days without a working Xbox 360 console.
Edit 11/22: I now get some information from my tracking number. Scheduled Delivery: 11/28/2006, a full 4 weeks after I was told they would send me out a box. They better get my shit fixed quick once they receive it.

Just got an email from microsoft about 2 hours ago saying they have received my 360 and will work hard to return it to like new condition and get it to me ASAP.

About how long does it normally take from this point?

[quote name='mr ryles']Just got an email from microsoft about 2 hours ago saying they have received my 360 and will work hard to return it to like new condition and get it to me ASAP.

About how long does it normally take from this point?[/QUOTE]

It only took them a day from when I got that email until they shipped mine. So Monday or Tuesday they should ship out your console.

[quote name='spoo']It only took them a day from when I got that email until they shipped mine. So Monday or Tuesday they should ship out your console.[/QUOTE]

What about shipping time? DO they use cheap ass shipping? So say it was shipped Tuesday, what are the chances I would get it back by Friday?

Ok my 360 is broken and I'm worried Microsoft is gunna screw me over with repairing it. I only have a couple days on my warrenty left so I have to get it to them fast, but they're taking forever to reply to my e-mail. At this rate I'm never going to get it to them in time. What should I do?!

[quote name='d00k']Ok my 360 is broken and I'm worried Microsoft is gunna screw me over with repairing it. I only have a couple days on my warrenty left so I have to get it to them fast, but they're taking forever to reply to my e-mail. At this rate I'm never going to get it to them in time. What should I do?![/QUOTE]
Do you have a phone?

[quote name='mr ryles']Just got an email from microsoft about 2 hours ago saying they have received my 360 and will work hard to return it to like new condition and get it to me ASAP.

About how long does it normally take from this point?[/QUOTE]

How long did it take for you to receive that email? My system was delivered last Thursday according to tracking and I have yet to be notified.

[quote name='anteis24']How long did it take for you to receive that email? My system was delivered last Thursday according to tracking and I have yet to be notified.[/QUOTE]

Not sure when microsoft actually received it, but I dropped it off at the post office around 3 Pm tuesday, so it got shipped out wed. with priority shipping which is normally 2-3 days. I then got the email from xbox saturday afternoon saying they have received it.

So, my 360 has been freezing everytime i boot it up since the dashboard update. And now it's giving me the three red lights.

I called the 4myxbox thing and they sadly gave me the news that it would cost $140 even though it's their own update that killed my system.

Is there anything I can do to get around that charge?

[quote name='Dingleberry']So, my 360 has been freezing everytime i boot it up since the dashboard update. And now it's giving me the three red lights.

I called the 4myxbox thing and they sadly gave me the news that it would cost $140 even though it's their own update that killed my system.

Is there anything I can do to get around that charge?[/QUOTE]

Fix it yourself.

And some good news is my 360 should be here friday according to my UPS tracking #.

any threads or sites showing how to fix it yourself? I saw someone mention that they did it in this thread, but no linky.

I have had to call them at least twice this week. I hate their CS. It is easily the worst out of the big 3. I have never experienced such piss-poos CS from a video game company....granted none of the other companies have produced products with such problems, from day one. This includes my launch PS2.

Well, its official, Gears of War killed my 360. Had it freeze once last week playing GRAW but a reboot fixed it. I play Gears of War for 5 minutes and it freezes. Try it again, and it freezes. Pop in COD2 (which I played through months ago with no problems) and it freezes. Twice. I guess the system was on the verge of breaking down and Gears pushed it over the edge.

This will by my 3rd console. Got one at launch which died right after Christmas and this one (dated 12-12-05) worked great from Jan until now.

Here's my question though. The support guy seemed OK and spoke some decent English, and he told me since I bought the 2 year warantee, I wouldn't have to wait for a box. They would be sending me a new console and I could just send back the broken console in the box I receive the new one in. I've never heard of this before, was he telling the truth or will I have to go back and forth like everyone else?

[quote name='jalu6']Here's my question though. The support guy seemed OK and spoke some decent English, and he told me since I bought the 2 year warantee, I wouldn't have to wait for a box. They would be sending me a new console and I could just send back the broken console in the box I receive the new one in. I've never heard of this before, was he telling the truth or will I have to go back and forth like everyone else?[/quote]Now that's interesting. I can't answer your question since the two times I've had to send in my console I was under the 90 day warranty that comes with it. If you don't mind, keep us informed whether they do in fact send you a system to replace the one you have now instead of sending in the console for repairs first. That'd be nice to keep the downtime to a minimum.

[quote name='jalu6']Well, its official, Gears of War killed my 360. Had it freeze once last week playing GRAW but a reboot fixed it. I play Gears of War for 5 minutes and it freezes. Try it again, and it freezes. Pop in COD2 (which I played through months ago with no problems) and it freezes. Twice. I guess the system was on the verge of breaking down and Gears pushed it over the edge.

This will by my 3rd console. Got one at launch which died right after Christmas and this one (dated 12-12-05) worked great from Jan until now.

Here's my question though. The support guy seemed OK and spoke some decent English, and he told me since I bought the 2 year warantee, I wouldn't have to wait for a box. They would be sending me a new console and I could just send back the broken console in the box I receive the new one in. I've never heard of this before, was he telling the truth or will I have to go back and forth like everyone else?[/quote]

I have the 2 year warranty as well, but I had to wait for a box to ship mine to them. It's on its way to McAllen, TX as we speak. I've never heard of anyone getting a working unit before they get the dead unit.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Now that's interesting. I can't answer your question since the two times I've had to send in my console I was under the 90 day warranty that comes with it. If you don't mind, keep us informed whether they do in fact send you a system to replace the one you have now instead of sending in the console for repairs first. That'd be nice to keep the downtime to a minimum.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've never heard of them doing this before either, which is why I'm a little skeptical. I was pretty surprised when he said that since I've read the forums before and everyone saying they were waiting for a box.

Honestly, I was about 30 seconds away from just buying a core and forgetting about it, but since he said he'd be sending a new console directly, I calmed down a bit. If I only get a box in the mail, I'll probably be at Walmart directly after.

Well All I can Say is fuck fuck fuck fuck Microsoft. I get my refurbished console today and loads fine.....only problem is my sound is all static and buzzing. After trying everything I can think of....I had to fight with Customer Service to get them to send me a coffin as they think Its something I'm doing......fuck you M$ and your shitty repair service.

Microsoft needs to seriously re-evaluate the repair system.

My story:
10/20: Called in to get my 360 fixed. It was a first shipment console getting 3 red lights. (note that this was well before the fall update fiasco)
10/23: Shipped console, Fedex (had to pay my own shipping costs).
10/25: Console arrives at 12:43 pm, is signed for.
10/30: No console yet. Called in, am told my address is wrong, but my console is fixed. Address fixed, should see a console in 3-5 days.
11/4: Called in to see what is going on as I should have a console by now. I'm told there is nothing in my account about the console being fixed, the last guy was nuts. Try calling back Monday, to allow the full 14 days.
11/6: I'm told that there is still no update, but that a supervisor will e-mail the repair center that night (supposedly did it while I was on the phone), should see a console in 2-3 days.

Which brings us to yesterday, 11/9:

About 6 pm, no UPS guy. So I call the repair center and get some girl who hardly speaks English (of my calls, 2 have been to people who hardly speak english, the rest have been to people who do speak English). She doesn't seem to even understand that it's been over 2 weeks now, tells me to call back in another 2-3 days. I don't think this woman could find her way out of a paper bag with a flashlight and sword.

Yeah right.

About 11 pm, I call back and actually get a person who seems halfway competent. She says there's still nothing in my account about the console being fixed. In fact, she says an e-mail was sent on the 1st saying the console wasn't received. She gets a supervisor.

After a few minutes on hold...

The Supervisor gets on the phone. And we go through the whole thing, yet again.

After explaining what every rep has said, the supervisor flat out said my whole experience was very disconcerting and that pretty much every rep had at least part of what they said wrong. Apparently, he's planning to send some scolding e-mails to everyone recorded in my account. He also said that my call from this afternoon was not even noted in the account, which is completely against policy. So, he e-mailed the repair center while we were on the phone. The fall update has backed up the repair center, but since my console was in before that happened, I'm higher priority. Regardless, though, it takes 3-5 business days to get a response to the e-mail, so if I haven't seen anything by noon on the 17th, something is really wrong.

I was under the impression that first shipment consoles were basically a lost cause from the MS warranty standpoint, and they are usually just replaced. In that case, this turnaround is just absurd.

At some point, it becomes less time consuming for me to file a lawsuit than to keep spending an hour plus on every phonecall only to be told that every previous phone rep was wrong.

Customer service? Quality control? Apparently, these aren't in Microsoft's business model.

just got a 360 back from the UPS guy. It is not my old one as mine was a launch system, this one was manufactured on 7-06.

It came with a free copy of NBA live 07 though. :)

whoever sent that one in must of forgot to take it out of the disk tray. :)

[quote name='mr ryles']just got a 360 back from the UPS guy. It is not my old one as mine was a launch system, this one was manufactured on 7-06.

It came with a free copy of NBA live 07 though. :)

whoever sent that one in must of forgot to take it out of the disk tray. :)[/QUOTE]

Ouch, I don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing. Do you think they even checked it or they just take one out of the return box and ship it to you in a new box?

Has anyone gotten the promised rebate check for repair fees paid on launch consoles? I think it was abour 2 months ago that they changed their policy, and I haven't received a refund yet.

[quote name='jalu6']Ouch, I don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing. Do you think they even checked it or they just take one out of the return box and ship it to you in a new box?[/QUOTE]

No, they check them, as the disk was in a paper sleeve, so microsoft at least opened it up and seen there was a game in there and they where nice enough to put it in a paper sleeve. And it worked played some Gears of War on xbox live for about 6 hours.

[quote name='mr ryles']I think there was a number that like 1 out of every 1,000 or so launch systems where faulty.[/QUOTE]

I wanna say it is closer to 50% of all the launch consoles took a shit.

Glad I read this. Guess its safe to say that Ill need to get a warranty if they still acting shitty this far after release. Then agian, I could just wait and not buy one for another year lol.

well it looks like my replacement console broke. Its giving me error code E 71
edit: it looks like the codes are E71 or E79 on startup.

[quote name='memsg']well it looks like my replacement console broke. Its giving me error code E 71
edit: it looks like the codes are E71 or E79 on startup.[/QUOTE]
Is it E71 or E79? It makes a big difference, E71 is a bad firmware error and E79 is a HDD error. Try it without the HDD if it is E79.

Thanks to whoever reccomended filing a complaint with the BBB about my broken system. I got a call from M$ today concerning my complaint and they wanted to take care of it right away.

My system worked fine until the firmware update where it started to freeze after every two minutes and eventually gave me the red lights.

Guess I have to call MS to replace my 360, after the freezes with GoW. I dont want to get stuck in the endless cycle of sending in 360s and getting refurbed ones. Will call tommorow afterschool.

still freezing without the hdd. I have one red light on the bottom right. E71 keeps popping up on startup, and randomly e79

[quote name='memsg']still freezing without the hdd. I have one red light on the bottom right. E71 keeps popping up on startup, and randomly e79[/QUOTE]

Yep, that looks like the firmware error then. The update is what's causing that error message. Time to send it in...

Well this past Saturday my 360 started to freeze when I put in GoW. Then finally gave me the 3 red lights. I did what the support website said (remove HD) and I actually got into my account this time... but then I got into the GoW menu, then it froze. I haven't even gotten to play 1 second of GoW yet. Ugh. So I'm going to give MS a call later today to see what's up.

(My system did the fall update apparently, then froze.)

How long does it typically take for a system to be sent off until it comes back in? (especially with the new firmware update problems flooding the repair center?)

[quote name='egonpax']How long does it typically take for a system to be sent off until it comes back in? (especially with the new firmware update problems flooding the repair center?)[/quote]Mine took exactly 3 weeks. And this was back in October before the update.

[quote name='egonpax']Well this past Saturday my 360 started to freeze when I put in GoW. Then finally gave me the 3 red lights. I did what the support website said (remove HD) and I actually got into my account this time... but then I got into the GoW menu, then it froze. I haven't even gotten to play 1 second of GoW yet. Ugh. So I'm going to give MS a call later today to see what's up.

(My system did the fall update apparently, then froze.)[/quote]

Are they telling you it will cost $139? If so, make a complaint at the better business bureaue's website and they'll pretty much do whatever you want.

Okay just had a quick question here for you CAGs. I just got a new 360 about 10 days ago from BB. Anyway over the last three days I've gotten a few dirty disc, unreadable disc type errors (where the blade on the right pops out and the game shuts off and returns you to the dashboard). Anyway I got these while playing NBA 2k7 and Gears of War. Is this going to turn into a bigger problem? Should I return it asap or is something that is fixable. This is my third 360, always just have had problems with freezing and red lights, never disc read errors. Thanks in advance for your tips.

[quote name='FrankySox']Okay just had a quick question here for you CAGs. I just got a new 360 about 10 days ago from BB. Anyway over the last three days I've gotten a few dirty disc, unreadable disc type errors (where the blade on the right pops out and the game shuts off and returns you to the dashboard). Anyway I got these while playing NBA 2k7 and Gears of War. Is this going to turn into a bigger problem? Should I return it asap or is something that is fixable. This is my third 360, always just have had problems with freezing and red lights, never disc read errors. Thanks in advance for your tips.[/QUOTE]
I have never had one DRE so I would take it back ASAP. If it is anything like the PS2 DRE it only gets worse every day.

This thread is scaring me; I ordered a 360 from overstock yesterday, but decided against a warranty, because I figured most of the problematic 360's were in the launch (2005) batch. Do more recently produced 360's still have lots of problems? If so, what are warranty options?

Well my 360 just broke, tried playing GoW and got a loud beep and it froze. Then I turned it off and on and got the red lights of death.

Can I still get it repaired with that whole "360's manufactured in 05 can be sent back," deal? Mine was manufactured 10-7-05 but I heard that repairment deal was until the system turned a year old. Anyone else have a similar case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back