Official F2P Star Wars: The Old Republic Thread

Anyone know if I need to make a new account to join F2P. On a trial account now. Also are the servers launching at midnight? I am on the east coast. Thank you

[quote name='UnicornBang']Anyone know if I need to make a new account to join F2P. On a trial account now. Also are the servers launching at midnight? I am on the east coast. Thank you[/QUOTE]

Your trial account will be convert to F2P, so you can keep any progress you have made on those characters. Note: You will only be allowed two characters on a F2P account (unless you purchase more slots with cartel coins) so in due time you will be asked to delete characters if you happen to have more than two characters on your account.

The servers are actually going down tonight for the F2P launch. So tonight you only have until 1am to play and don't expect to be able to play again until 1pm or later tomorrow.

Hello everyone, we wanted to let you know that we will be performing scheduled maintenance for twelve hours on Thursday, November 15th, 2012 from 12AM CST (10PM PST/1AM EST/6AM GMT/7AM CET/5PM AEDT) until 12PM CST (10AM PST/1PM EST/6PM GMT/7PM CST/5AM AEDT). All game servers, SWTOR.com, and the launcher will be offline during this period. This maintenance is expected to take no more than twelve hours, but could be extended.

http://www.swtor.com/blog/scheduled-maintenance-game-update-1.5-november-15th-2012

[quote name='UnicornBang']Thank you very much for your help. I rolled a imperial bounty hunter. Is there any reason to give him light side points?[/QUOTE]

Because your Bounty Hunter is really just a good person underneath. Going full light or dark side gives you access to specific tiered relics, however this is useless at end game.

There are two specific unlocks that you can get for going either full light or full dark, but the unlock is only helpful when leveling an alternate character. For now, just respond how you think your character would respond, role play and enjoy your experience :D

So the game doesn't have any significant, "Oh, you're middle-ground? fuck you, you can't have anything cool." shit that a lot of other Bioware games do?

Good.

[quote name='UnicornBang']Really appreciate your time j-cart. What server are you rolling on? Don't really know anyone playing this game right now.[/QUOTE]

The Bastion-West Coast PvP. We actually have a lot of late night east coast people play on our server because of their work schedule. Getting to level 15 takes no time at all if you want to re-roll :D

[quote name='The Crotch']So the game doesn't have any significant, "Oh, you're middle-ground? fuck you, you can't have anything cool." shit that a lot of other Bioware games do?

Good.[/QUOTE]

There are some items that you can't wear because you are not "Dark level 6" which really isn't that bad. There is "neutral" stance, so a lot of the players are thinking that we may one day get some armors that are for neutral stance characters.

My Scoundrel is only out for himself, so as long as the choice benefits his interests (money, women, power, ease of mission, etc) that is how I play. So far he is smack dead in the middle of that bar.

The game does a great job at allowing the user to really role play their character. Just wait till you guys get into flashpoints, I know some of you will really get a kick out what they did with those :D

What's the story with companions? The free trial never lasted long enough for me to actually get a second one, but I assume you're limited to one at a time. Are they pretty much just flavour as the game goes on, or do they legitimately contribute to a fight? And if so, is the general balance of companions decent? Are they there even in flashpoints or group... whatever the fuck group quest bullshit is called?

[quote name='The Crotch']What's the story with companions? The free trial never lasted long enough for me to actually get a second one, but I assume you're limited to one at a time. Are they pretty much just flavour as the game goes on, or do they legitimately contribute to a fight? And if so, is the general balance of companions decent? Are they there even in flashpoints or group... whatever the fuck group quest bullshit is called?[/QUOTE]

Companions add to your character's story in a few a ways. During cutscenes they may respond to your responses. Depending on your choice they may either agree with you, dislike your choice or sometimes insert the comedic relief (see Guss Tuno). They also help you during combat in many ways. Usually your starting companion is either a Tank or DPS spec (Bounty Hunters get a healer) so that they can aggro mobs and you can lay down the killing blows. The final use of companions is your crew skills aka Crafting.

Each companion that you get has a certain bonus to either mat gathering or crafting skill. This helps in trying to get rare mats or even getting bonuses on crafted items. All you do is just send your companion off on a gathering or crafting mission and await for their return. Crafting is great for getting items for your self/ship/companion and a great way to sell things on the GTN (swtor market system).

Companions also a very fond of gifts, the higher their affection is to you (out of 1000) the better their return rate of gathering/crafting skills. They can also send you items/credits random just because of their fondness. You can also romance certain companions if you choose.

I am unsure if crafting is available to F2P players at the moment, but companions story wise are just as much apart of the story as the actual character that you play as. I just can't wait to get my HK-51 and have HK-51 duels with people :D I know I am going to grief a bunch of meatbags with him too. Already made all of his gear for him :D

Forgot to mention that your companions would need some serious gear (same as yours or better) to take with you into a flashpoint, but for heroics and Area missions they will do just fine. Companions are missing two item slots (two relics spots) so their end game stats will never measure up to what a player will have, but you can still deck them out with some serious gear.

/edit: Heroics are repeatable side missions on every planet. These missions require 2 or more players to complete and may even require some actual strategy. Drops are usually blue and above for the level that the mission states. Area missions are obtained as you gradually walk into a new area. These missions will need a full party and some may even need two full parties. Drops are similar to Heroics, you want to be doing this missions for gear, social points and for more experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I know that they have their little dialogues and crafting shit and what-not. Just wondering how generally useful they are. Like, are the little pistol-wielding droids and twileks that the Guardian/Evil Guardian start with completely overshadowed by roided out wookiees and killbots later on?

And if you spec as, say, "guy with lots of healing and maybe some buffs or some shit", will a tanking or DPS-based companion give you enough punch to actually carry on, or is that sort of spec only viable when playing with other people?

[quote name='The Crotch']Yeah, I know that they have their little dialogues and crafting shit and what-not. Just wondering how generally useful they are. Like, are the little pistol-wielding droids and twileks that the Guardian/Evil Guardian start with completely overshadowed by roided out wookiees and killbots later on?

And if you spec as, say, "guy with lots of healing and maybe some buffs or some shit", will a tanking or DPS-based companion give you enough punch to actually carry on, or is that sort of spec only viable when playing with other people?[/QUOTE]

A companion's effectiveness is based on gear. Each companion is the same level as you regardless if you use them or not. This allows the user to select their companion purely for preference without any complications due to level (though gear is still an important factor). During your story line progression they are certainly useful in your success, sometimes mandatory to your success.

Your buffs can be used on your companions. On my Scoundrel that is healing spec I have my dps Risha just dish out all the damage while I heal her. Not the most ideal playstyle, but she certainly can get the job done better than me. I can roll through end game dailies with just a companion if I need too.

You don't need to worry too much about your companions, gearing them out is more of a late game deal. Just keep your favorite companion out when you do your storyline cutscenes and that is where you will get he most out of them. You are much better off grouping with people than to depend on a companion.

Point of information, you can form groups at ANY time. Even your storyline stuff can be completed with a group, sometimes it maybe even needed if the boss is too hard for your current spec.

/edit: Updated the third post with Free to Play info.

[quote name='j-cart']You are much better off grouping with people than to depend on a companion.

Point of information, you can form groups at ANY time. Even your storyline stuff can be completed with a group, sometimes it maybe even needed if the boss is too hard for your current spec.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I'm gonna try keep that shit to a minimum.

I will fucking inflict KotOR 3 on this game if I have to.

[quote name='The Crotch']Yeah, I'm gonna try keep that shit to a minimum.

I will fucking inflict KotOR 3 on this game if I have to.[/QUOTE]

Gonna have to make friends then, the KotOR 3 storyline is all in the Flashpoints and Operations. Character storylines have almost nothing to do with KotOR, but this does not mean that the character stories aren't awesome, because they totally are.

Also this game is an MMO, not matter what kind of character you play, your role is very limited. You need a team composition of some sort to complete a large majority of the game's content. That being said there has been some who have soloed Hard Mode flashpoints (basically more difficult flashpoints at endgame). A feat that required a lot of practice and no life outside of the game :D Just don't expect to do something like this on your first try with out gear.

Honestly, given the things I've heard about the book "Revan", I think I'm more interested in the individual character stories than the broader story of the game itself.

But we'll see when I get there. Not trying to let a bunch of bitter nerds poison the well, here.

As you level to 50, I'll run you through the flashpoints and you'll geek out. Trust me, you will geek out.

Of course that is if you make some characters on the The Bastion. I won't leave that server, I've cemented my legacy there for far too long now.

I'd log in right now just for the sake of logging in - the server browser says that I still have 6 characters on The Bastion, so I guess whatever server I did the trial on got merged with Bastion - but it gives me a 3001 error no matter what I try.

[quote name='The Crotch']I'd log in right now just for the sake of logging in - the server browser says that I still have 6 characters on The Bastion, so I guess whatever server I did the trial on got merged with Bastion - but it gives me a 3001 error no matter what I try.[/QUOTE]

Hmm that was an old error from launch. Try running the repair on your launcher to see if that will fix anything.

Just know that as a F2P player you only get 2 character slots. You can purchase more slots with cartel coins, I believe the finalization date is in December when they ask you to delete your extra characters.

Guess I won't be able to login tonight since the servers are down @ 10pm PST.

My thoughts on the Star Wars franchise/setting in general ranges from "I don't care about this at all" to "This will slightly detract from anything it is applied to."

Is this good enough that I would still be able to enjoy it or is it just WoW/whatever you want to call that style of game with Star Wars paint?

(this happened to me with dungeons and dragons online. don't give a fuck about DnD but the game itself turned out to be amazing with the active combat, traps, secret passages, amazing stealth system, etc)

I cannot compare this game to WoW, because I have never played WoW beyond level 8. However a lot of people will same it is very similar but doesn't try to do anything better.

A lot of the initial issues in the beginning have been addressed and there is certainly a lot of content to keep you busy at end game. For me the game is all about PvP. I have never played a multiplayer game that required so much precise teamwork, team composition and timing in a game before.

Reasons why some may not like SWTOR PvP:

1. Rewards are only given to Warzone games, meaning you can't gear up from world PvP.
2. Four tiered gear progression. Anyone with full BiS War Hero (highest PvP gear) will utterly smash on fresh 50 recruit PvP gear (initial lowest, but now a Mk2 version vs the original Mk1)
3. Pre-mades vs randoms. The game favors team composition, so not being in a guild or queuing in a group is only asking for a bad day of PvP.
4. Stuns. As of 1.4 stuns are extremely useful to the point where proper stunning wins games. This means you need to be communicating with your teammates through a third party voice chat. Timing is everything.

Beside the information above, I still enjoy the game alot. People saying there is nothing to do at end game either have a lot of time on their hands and complain that 300 hours of gameplay is too short or that they unable to make friends in an MMO and try their hand at all of the Operations and world bosses.

It may do generic MMO things okay, which for veteran MMO players may not be acceptable in 2012, but for a first timer like me, it is freaking awesome. Leveling up to 50 was one of the more enjoyable experiences I have ever had of any RPG. The fact that I can take that character into a PvP or Operation just makes the experience even that much better for me. The icing on the cake is the fact that IT IS A STAR WARS GAME!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='frostybroc']Did they release a Mac client yet?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately SWTOR has not made a Mac client yet. What you can do is run Bootcamp on your Mac so that you can install a windows OS on your apple hardware.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=11234

Just know that you still need to meet the hardware requirements of the game.

PC specifications:

Operating System
Star Wars ™: The Old Republic ™ can be played on Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, or Windows 7.

Minimum Specs (This means @ 768p on the lowest settings will net 30+ fps)

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better, and an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0GHz or better.

RAM: Windows XP: 1.5GB, and for Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB. For PCs using a built-in graphical chipset, 2GB RAM recommended.

Video: ATI X1800 or better, nVidia 7800 or better, or Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better.

HDD: 25GB

Recommended Specs

CPU: AMD Phenom 2 X4 Quad-core 2.5GHz or better / Intel Core 2Quad Processor 2.4GHz or better.

RAM: Windows XP: 1.5GB, and for Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB. For PCs using a built-in graphical chipset, 2GB RAM recommended.

VIDEO: ATI/AMD Radeon HD 4850 or better* / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 or better* / *512 minimum video RAM / *Shader 3.0 or better fully compatible graphics card

HDD: 25GB

SWTOR is a very CPU demanding game. Having a CPU that is a duo-core or less will provide a very unsatisfying visual gameplay experience. Installing the game on an SSD will also not improve the load times. Unfortunately the data loads are all from the server so regardless if the game is installed on a SSD or HDD the load factor is determined on your internet connection.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10104933&postcount=2

I used to run it on Bootcamp, but tbh I prefer not to go into windows if I don't have to. Hopefully they'll follow suit of Guild Wars 2 and Wow

EA has said they are currently looking into making a Mac client, details about this at this time are still unknown. Which is disappointing because a good amount of my friends are Apple users only.

With the launch of F2P, hopefully we'll just see you pop in every now and then just to say hi!

I will probably jump on this for a bit tonight now that it is F2P. I'm on Exar Kun with a 50 Sith Inquisitor Assassin and a 40-something Agent. What can you buy with the cartel coins? It shows I will have 1300 coins.

[quote name='GhostShark']I will probably jump on this for a bit tonight now that it is F2P. I'm on Exar Kun with a 50 Sith Inquisitor Assassin and a 40-something Agent. What can you buy with the cartel coins? It shows I will have 1300 coins.[/QUOTE]

-Subscriber Benefits
-Packs
-Cosmetic
-Unlocks
-Equipment
-Consumables
-Items & screenshots from the Crime Lord/Black Market packs

http://dulfy.net/2012/10/23/swtor-cartel-market-items/

This was taking from the PTS before the launch. Item prices may have changed since then.

Just know that the servers have all gone through a merge, the server Exar Kun is no more I believe. Check again to see what your new home server is.

Either they don't let you use parts of SW character names in your display name, or some asshat took mine before F2P.

[quote name='Dranakin']Either they don't let you use parts of SW character names in your display name, or some asshat took mine before F2P.[/QUOTE]

Someone most likely took it. I know that my buddy made the same named character on every single server to prevent people from taking his name.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']So what server should we be signing up for to play with some fellow CAGs?[/QUOTE]

I am on The Bastion- West Coast PvP. I have a lowbie Powertech in the making that has guild access. We can start funneling people into there. Check out the first page for toon names to message.

[quote name='j-cart']Player List:

(CAG Name): (Toon Name)- Server

_________

j-cart: Siret (Rep), Zhaneordo (Imp)- The Bastion (West Coast PvP)

_________[/QUOTE]

Which one has guild access for lowbies? Just starting a character. Also are you in need of a certain type of class. I still don't really know what I want to roll.

Sorry I haven't updated the toons list yet. Currently those two are my main level 50 toons :D You are more than welcome to add either one to your friends list.

Add "Yahs" to your friends list. That is my Powertech (IMP) that has guildleader status.

(medium armor) Imperial Agent-> Sniper (ranged glass cannon, very low mobility)

(Heavy armor) Bounty Hunter-> Powertech/Mercenary (doesn't matter, both can DPS well in PvE. PvP is a different story)

Sith Warrior-> Marauder (has two lightsabers and is medium armor.)

(Light armor) Sith Inquisitor-> Assassin (split spec is too awesome, wields a double sided lightsaber and can tank if needed) Sorcerer (casting dps, super awesome lightning attacks and can spec into heals if needed)

You really can't go wrong with PvE DPS. Every class can be used (except Juggernauts, worthless DPS in PvE). PvP is a whole different story :D

Gotta ask yourself, you want to be in the face of the enemy that you kill or do you want to take them out with range? Then ask if you want a light saber or blaster guns. Answer those two questions then I can tell you exactly what you want to be.

Got back on last night and forgot how awesome my Inquisitor looked. Sadly, though, there is nothing to do once you hit 50 and have done the majority of the quests I have. Did any new questing hubs or zones open up that I missed in the 9+ months that I missed that is open to me as F2P?

I may finish my Agent this weekend (level 44), and then hope over to the CAG server and start something new.

[quote name='GhostShark']Got back on last night and forgot how awesome my Inquisitor looked. Sadly, though, there is nothing to do once you hit 50 and have done the majority of the quests I have. Did any new questing hubs or zones open up that I missed in the 9+ months that I missed that is open to me as F2P?

I may finish my Agent this weekend (level 44), and then hope over to the CAG server and start something new.[/QUOTE]

Nothing to do?! Have you killed all of the world bosses? All of the Hard Mode Flash points? Get all of the Datacrons? Beat all of the Operations on SM and above? Get all of the achievement mounts? Section X also opened up on Belsavis, so head over there for the new world boss. The endgame content at 50 is all group content, gonna need to play with others to play the good stuff ;)

If you did all of that, then you get to say there is nothing left to do. You could always PvP, Ranked PvP is endless and takes more time to master than the PvE content :D

Everything you listed can be done by a player in their first week of 50 TBH. I don't know how much stuff they added since I quit almost a year ago but chances are any guild can carry you through those as well. When they finally fixed Soa to be actually killable, my guild was clearing everything hard mode in three hours and had nothing to do the rest of the week. Holocrons also take about a day to do, but with real guides now it's probably super easy with less hunting involved.

Also, world bosses were a waste of time unless you wanted to grief/pvp over it. Unless they added some real rewards to them, I doubt that has changed.

I did the majority of that stuff when I first hit 50. Plus, I am on F2P, so I am limited as to what I am do. I also play World of Warcraft, so yeah. I'm sure I will still enjoy leveling, though.

[quote name='GhostShark']I did the majority of that stuff when I first hit 50. Plus, I am on F2P, so I am limited as to what I am do.[/QUOTE]
Lol, forgot about that. There truly is nothing to do at 50 unless you pay. Guess they never got the memo how a F2P game is supposed to be.

8197652250_6ee66396e8_b.jpg

Section X world boss on a three stack. Thing was one shotting fools left and right.

I installed this game again but after seeing all the ridiculous restrictions I have almost no urge to play. I have to pay to get my side quick bars, title displayed, Legacy name displayed and the ability to hide my fucking helmet? Yeah, that's quite stupid.

Does anyone know if you pay for say, a month, do you keep access to all things I listed? Or does it all go away when your subscription runs out unless you pay cartel coins for it?

[quote name='tcrash247']I installed this game again but after seeing all the ridiculous restrictions I have almost no urge to play. I have to pay to get my side quick bars, title displayed, Legacy name displayed and the ability to hide my fucking helmet? Yeah, that's quite stupid.

Does anyone know if you pay for say, a month, do you keep access to all things I listed? Or does it all go away when your subscription runs out unless you pay cartel coins for it?[/QUOTE]

If you pay and then stop paying, you will be put on Preferred Status. Honestly, you won't need all of your skills unless you play endgame PvP or PvE.

http://www.swtor.com/free/features

[quote name='tcrash247']I installed this game again but after seeing all the ridiculous restrictions I have almost no urge to play. I have to pay to get my side quick bars, title displayed, Legacy name displayed and the ability to hide my fucking helmet? Yeah, that's quite stupid.[/QUOTE]
LOL! OK, before it was somewhat understandable how they wanted to get people paying but removing UI functionality? What a bunch of fucktards.

Does anyone else get the "dead people stay standing up" bug?

It happens to me a lot, and it gets pretty damn confusing in a fight. Wondering if there's some setting I can change or... something, anything.

[quote name='The Crotch']Does anyone else get the "dead people stay standing up" bug?

It happens to me a lot, and it gets pretty damn confusing in a fight. Wondering if there's some setting I can change or... something, anything.[/QUOTE]

It was fixed awhile back, but now it seems to occur again. Welcome to SWTOR :D

Wow, I didn't notice the credits cap and character cap before. If I cancelled my sub, would they delete excess characters and remove excess credits, or would they come back if I resubbed?

EDIT: Reading the FAQ on the SWTOR website, looks like characters just become inactive rather than deleted. Can't seem to figure out what would happen to excess credits though.

bread's done
Back