Official Gears of War 2 Discussion Thread

I haven't even started horde, my internet has been wonky lately but it seems to have leveled out today. I need to start from the beginning.

I beat single player mode... it was okay.

I'm not too impressed becoz IMO the concept of big ass doods with guns fighting aliens was executed better in Contra.

if there's one way I would make the game better it would be more bosses and huge monsters!! Contra has awesome bosses that are huge! This game? there's like 1 good boss, and he's too easy...

so rite now I'm doing multiplayer and the matchmaking sucks worse than my SKILLZ at winning online.

I hope I dont get bored of this soon! >_

[quote name='thrustbucket']You'll need to be a lot more specific.[/quote]The Shotgun suck, the Maps suck, All kind of feels unbalanced.

[quote name='Bazz']The Shotgun suck, the Maps suck, All kind of feels unbalanced.[/quote]

I feel as thought some of the maps are great and some aren't. But that is how it is in every game. As for balance, this is the most balanced game. In gears 1, the team that got the boomshot would automatically win, now not so much.

For all those that pre-ordered Gears of War 2 and got the map pack or attended the midnight release and got the free theme, could I bother you guys to do me a favor?

If you go to marketplace.xbox.com and go to the Gears of War 2 do you see those downloads? If you do, what are the links? I am wondering if you can access them through marketplace that way and possibly get them. Since you are able to get the CoD:W@W pre-order item for free through it right now.

[quote name='Bazz']The Shotgun suck, the Maps suck, All kind of feels unbalanced.[/QUOTE]

If you mean the shotgun is still a little too overpowered, I'd agree.

I don't have a problem with the maps. The biggest problem I have is that I'm sick of playing River. It's by far the most popular map.

I love how River is the #1 Map because Horde is the #1 gametype. Everyone knows it.

Shotgun is sort of overpowered, because it's got mad range. It still can't stop a Chainsaw though.

Anyway, mad stuff last night. Me and my friends were playing Horde on Insane, 3 of us died leaving 1 guy left. He went on to kill the remaining 18 guys to continue. Just awesome.

[quote name='KingBroly']I love how River is the #1 Map because Horde is the #1 gametype. Everyone knows it.

Shotgun is sort of overpowered, because it's got mad range. It still can't stop a Chainsaw though.

Anyway, mad stuff last night. Me and my friends were playing Horde on Insane, 3 of us died leaving 1 guy left. He went on to kill the remaining 18 guys to continue. Just awesome.[/QUOTE]

I've had the best luck with horde using Mansion map.

I just get tired of so many people using the shotgun so much. It's like when they get bored of chainsawing, they switch to shotgun. It's still very hard to stop someone rolling towards you and around you with the shotgun. You can pull out your shotgun too, but then it's more or less a coin toss at that point, unless you are the host. And it's very easy to tell who the host is.

[quote name='help1']The best map for Horde is security. Anyone who says other wise is wrong.[/QUOTE]

Nah, I have to agree with Thrustbucket. Having gone through all 50 levels, Mansion is by far the easiest. Camp out upstairs and watch 8 out of 10 enemies come through the door down below. Grenade tag the that entrance and the stairway, snipe, torque bow and just blast away from above.

It all depends on what level your playing, on Insane you have to have only 1 or 2 ways for them to come in and have that blocked by a shield. Really I think Gridlock is by far the best due to the range at which you can shoot them and the ability to block the ways they can get in with shields very easily.

We beat all 50 levels of Horde on Avalanche. Just like Gridlock, it's pretty easy to block off the two entrances with shields. No power weapons, but the mortar/mulcher kind of make up for it. Nade tag the bottom of the stairs to get them as they come up.

For River, it's easy with shields in 2 ways. There's a restricted plan and an open plan

Restricted Plan
- Get a shield and place it at the very bottom of the ramp inside the barn. Limits you from going down in the barn, limits everyone from getting upstairs if placed right.

Open
- Get 2 shields and place them at the entrance of the barn. Limits big guys (Boomers, etc.) and most Locust from entering. Still subject to Tickers, Flame Boomers, Wretches and Beastmounts.

I like the Restricted Plan more than the Open Plan because you have more cover that way and can get Sniper/Torque Bow ammo if you need it. Also, it's much, much harder for Beastmounts to go over a shield where they have to climb.

[quote name='help1']The best map for Horde is security. Anyone who says other wise is wrong.[/quote]

Incorrect. Day One is by far the best map for Horde.

Basically you just have two people camp the sniper/torque and another two people camp the mortar/hammer spawn and then have the fifth person just help out where needed.

I was just wondering if there was any good players out there who play constantly? Shit has been kind of slow since some people fell off the reservation, and I need to add some more people to my friends list who play a lot.

My GT is Casey Rybread.

Beat it in hardcore last night in co-op with my friend. We'll probably try to tackle it on Insane, but need a break from the campaign for a while.

I just beat the snow level vechicle stage on insane with a friend, and I'm never ever ever doing that again. The tower part was so hard for me for some reason.

[quote name='orbit18']I just beat the snow level vechicle stage on insane with a friend, and I'm never ever ever doing that again. The tower part was so hard for me for some reason.[/QUOTE]

I'm not looking forward to the vehicle sections of the campaign on Insane. The small driving portion of the first game was absolute fucking hell on the hardest difficulty.

The vehicle part is this game is nowhere near as bad on insane as it was in Gears 1. You'll know the route since you played through it once before, and there are less bullshit moments.

The fact that it takes the coop partner who isn't hosting so much longer to get in the game again after you die than the hosts fucks you up the most.

[quote name='orbit18']I just beat the snow level vechicle stage on insane with a friend, and I'm never ever ever doing that again. The tower part was so hard for me for some reason.[/quote]

I died like 6 or 7 times within this stage, mostly with that stupid lake!:bomb:

[quote name='orbit18']I just beat the snow level vechicle stage on insane with a friend, and I'm never ever ever doing that again. The tower part was so hard for me for some reason.[/QUOTE]

i also beat it on insane, that part is definitely the hardest part in the whole game
we would kill everything then once you go down a lil bit more, a buncha turrets start shooting and you're done for, the game on insane wasn't as bad as i thought it was going to be, not bad at all

When I did insane solo...after I killed everything I just drove down the hill backwards and when whoever said to take out the tower I hit the speed boost and went back up the hill out of the turrets range.

Okay I have some story questions with spoilers:

Is the Lambent just a term for Immulsion sickness goonies or specifically the things that weren't quite Locust?

Basically they're hinting with all the stuff in the lab that sometime in the past that some kids got some crud and then they went up into the mountains with them and they're probably the original Locust right? So the queen being human is because she may have been one of the scientist or their mother, something like that? How is Marcus' dad connected to this?

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Okay I have some story questions with spoilers:

Is the Lambent just a term for Immulsion sickness goonies or specifically the things that weren't quite Locust?

Basically they're hinting with all the stuff in the lab that sometime in the past that some kids got some crud and then they went up into the mountains with them and they're probably the original Locust right? So the queen being human is because she may have been one of the scientist or their mother, something like that? How is Marcus' dad connected to this?
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, lambents are just the locust that were exposed to immulsion.

For the second, your guess is as good as mine. That seemed to be what they were hinting at, but they left it pretty vague. Guess we'll find out more in Gears of War 3.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Okay I have some story questions with spoilers:

[/quote]

To answer your first question
They are one and the same. The ones you see later in the game seem more advanced or evolved , but their all still the same lambent.

No idea about the second question though. Had never even thought of that
especially with the idea of the lab being that old , possibly even predating the pendulum wars.Although that would partly explain why it took so long for the locusts to first appear.

Thanks for the info. Here are some new thoughts.

It seems like the Locust were created in some sort of weapons experiment that for some reason either was done on kids or the kids just happened to be sick and they were trying to cure them. Like I mentioned in the other posts, I think they went up to the Hive area because they found Immulsion helped them, but somehow it all went to crap and the initial Locust and the Queen stayed in the mountains. I figure this will all be revealed in part 3 as the Queen is still out there. Also, independent of this, but I'd guess Skurge comes back too.

[quote name='Kevlar281']When I did insane solo...after I killed everything I just drove down the hill backwards and when whoever said to take out the tower I hit the speed boost and went back up the hill out of the turrets range.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, when I did it on Hardcore by myself I just sat at the top of the hill and when I got hit I'd back around the corner. Wash and repeat. You can hit everything from that range. I didn't go down the hill at all until everyone was dead.

[quote name='orbit18']if anyone has a golden lancer they want to trade for, i have paypal or a 48hr code lol![/QUOTE]

The Lancer comes with every LE. Do you mean the Hammerburst?

So I decided to play Gears of War for a little bit tonight (Act 1, Insane by myself) and they definitely improved the graphics from 1 to 2. A lot less shiny (especially on Marcus who looks butt ugly in Gears 1 by comparison). Also noticed the change in the Hammerburst, which didn't zoom-in before.

The locust are too old for the Serans to have created them. Recall that when you are in Act 4 Dom says "This looks old, too old." The writers are hinting at us that we did not create them and the Locust have been down in the Earth for a long time. We disturbed their peace and serenity somehow. It seems like we're getting blamed for the Lambent invasion on the Locust turf and the Locust are now invading our turf for payback.

The Lambent are immulsion exposed Locust. That's all they really are. The sires on the other hand, are not Locust at all. They are simply humans that were being experimented on. The collectibles that you pick up in the lab explain quite a bit. For one, it explains that one of the test subjects started growing fingernails at an increased rate(think Sires) and started to grow very little hair to the point where she had almost no hair(think Sires again). The medical file says that the 15 year old girl was going through severe joint pain and the scientists were trying to find some pain killers that wouldn't interfere with the experiment.

So the queen being human is because she may have been one of the scientist or their mother, something like that? How is Marcus' dad connected to this?

There is really nothing to tell us that the queen was the creator of the Locust or the mother of the Locust. No one really knows exactly how Marcus' dad is connected to all of this, but it seems like he was either working with the Locust at one point in time OR that he experimented on Locust.

Has any info on the sires been figured out? They strangely look like the final boss but smaller as if they are humans or something else that mutated due to immulsion

[quote name='KingBroly']So I decided to play Gears of War for a little bit tonight (Act 1, Insane by myself) and they definitely improved the graphics from 1 to 2. A lot less shiny (especially on Marcus who looks butt ugly in Gears 1 by comparison). Also noticed the change in the Hammerburst, which didn't zoom-in before.[/QUOTE]

Huh? How did you start the game on insane?

[quote name='Persona7']
Has any info on the sires been figured out? They strangely look like the final boss but smaller as if they are humans or something else that mutated due to immulsion
[/quote]

Did you seriously skip right over my post? It's right above yours.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Huh? How did you start the game on insane?[/quote]

He went back to the original, not Gears 2.

I finally beat Act 5 on Insane today, didn't take very long and it wasn't very difficult if you have a decent partner. Got the achievement for a whopping 150 points too.

Okay my new thoughts after reading DarkRider23's reply.

I agree with what you're saying about Dom's comment making it seem like the Locust have been around awhile, but I still think having a human Queen or at least human looking hints at a connection between the two. It also seemed like the character's comments during the game were basically saying that the Sires and Lambent are basically the same. I thought specifically I remember Dom saying something like "It's the things from the lab." when some of the more clearly Locust looking Lambent were around.

I'm about to start this - should I play on Normal or Hard? I finished Gears 1 on Hardcore but I didn't last 10 minutes on Insane difficulty... also, do achievements stack?

[quote name='javeryh']I'm about to start this - should I play on Normal or Hard? I finished Gears 1 on Hardcore but I didn't last 10 minutes on Insane difficulty... also, do achievements stack?[/QUOTE]

Play on hardcore. In many ways, Gears 2 is easier. I wish they would have let you play on insane had you beat Gears 1 on hardcore.

Yes achievements stack.

Question about the box art. I just bought this from a guy in Canada and my box art has the english/french text all over it (similar to how a lot of the Nintendo games look). Is that standard across the board?

[quote name='Trakan']The vehicle part is this game is nowhere near as bad on insane as it was in Gears 1. You'll know the route since you played through it once before, and there are less bullshit moments.

The fact that it takes the coop partner who isn't hosting so much longer to get in the game again after you die than the hosts fucks you up the most.[/quote]

I could usually do that shit in the first or second time. As long as you have someone decent at the gun it really isn't that hard. Then again I played through Gears 1 like 11 or 12 times, so I should have that section down pat.

I thought the new section was harder because of the cliff on the side of the ice stage. You have to roll down to activate shit and then haul ass up the hill to get shots at a range where you can repair the vehicle.

bread's done
Back