Official Gears of War 2 Discussion Thread

Hey All,

The much anticipated Title Update 3 is out of certification and is going live on March 24th at 2 AM PST/5 AM EST. Please remeber it takes awhile for the update to propagate so it may take up to several hours after that time before it's available locally. Also, if you start getting matchmaking connection issues, it means others have the update and you don't, so please exit the game and fire it up again in order to download the update. Also please note that some of the new achievements require the next map pack "Snowblind" which will be released next week.

We want to thank the community again for their patience and support and we hope you enjoy the changes we're bringing with Title Update 3.

Now for the details -

Gears of War 2 Title Update 3 Detailed Release Notes
The following fixes and improvements are included in Title Update 3.

Improvements
Title Update 3 makes these new improvements:

* Adds 100 levels of player experience that you can gain based on your score in Public matches. The game still uses Trueskill for matchmaking to find the most competitive matches, but the skill rank is now hidden. The new level of experience appears next to your gamertag, with levels 1 through 99 displayed as numbers and level 100 displayed as an icon. The game normalizes experience based on match type so that players earn an equivalent amount of experience across all modes.
* Adds an experience penalty for players quitting before a match is complete.
* Adds bots automatically to a Public Match if players quit and cause unbalanced teams. This ability has always existed in Private Matches if the bot count is set higher than zero.
* Optimizes playlists to only have two modes per playlist. Ties are decided by random selection.
* Adds the ability for teams to talk to each other between rounds in a Private Match.
* Adds the ability to save Public and Private Horde high scores after each complete wave, in case the host loses connection before failing or completing all fifty waves.
* Makes minor changes to general bandwidth usage.
* Adds region preference to matchmaking.
* Improves standby detection.
* Adds nine new achievements worth 250 points. Progress toward them starts after Title Update 3 is applied. Six of the new achievements require the Snowblind Map Pack, a set of four new maps to be released soon. The nine new achievements:

o "Rookie Gear" (10 points): Earn enough multiplayer experience to reach level 5 (Public only).
o "Seasoned Gear" (20 points): Earn enough multiplayer experience to reach level 15 (Public only).
o "Battle-Tested Gear" (30 points): Earn enough multiplayer experience to reach level 25 (Public only).
o "Battle-Hardened Gear" (50 points): Reach level 50 and play a match on each of the four Snowblind Map Pack maps (Public only).
o "Veteran Gear" (75 points): Reach level 100 and win a match on each of the four Snowblind Map Pack maps (Public only).
o "Never Eat Red Snow" (20 points): Complete waves 1 through 10 on all Snowblind Map Pack maps in Horde (any difficulty).
o "Icy Dead People" (25 points): Complete waves 1 through 50 on any Snowblind Map Pack map in Horde (any difficulty).
o "Frigid Body Dynamics" (5 points): Play a multiplayer match on each of the four Snowblind Map Pack maps (any mode).
o "The Weather Outside Is Lethal" (15 points): Win a multiplayer match on each of the four Snowblind Map Pack maps (any mode).

Exploit Fixes
Title Update 3 fixes these possible exploits, where under certain circumstances:

* A player could swap from a pistol to a two-handed weapon during a cover slide and then mantle greater distances.
* Players could kill themselves in Wingman to avoid giving their opponents more points. Now, suicides and team killing will reduce team score.
* A player holding a meatshield could melee through some walls.
* A player could equip a two-handed weapon with a shield using either the Boltok or the Gorgon pistol.
* A player could equip a two-handed weapon with a meatshield using either the Boltok or the Gorgon pistol.
* A player could prevent planted shields from being picked up by other players.
* Players could launch themselves into the air with a smoke grenade while mantling.

General Fixes
Title Update 3 fixes these other issues as well:

* An issue that caused chainsaw interruption when a player is shot to be less reliable in some body positions than in others.
* An issue where a third player could join a Public Wingman party lobby and remove another player from the game.
* An issue in Submission games where occasionally the meatflag would immediately run back to the spawn point after being dropped.
* An issue where players that were knocked down but not out (DBNO) while planting the Boomshield would appear to be standing.
* An elevation-based issue where the detection for a headshot might not align properly with certain character model heads.
* An issue that could cause Wingman teammates to have different character models.
* Additional miscellaneous bug fixes.

Balancing
Title Update 3 makes these balancing changes:

* Reduces stun duration of smoke grenades. Currently, characters always start to get up after 2 seconds.
* Gives melee the same delay after roadie running that shooting received in Title Update 2.
* Removes spawn protection from the Horde in Horde mode.
* Increased the forward angle that triggers chainsaw duels so that players with Lancers equipped won't be sawn from the side without a duel.
* Reduces the delay before a player can climb up after entering low cover.
* Makes minor changes to weapon spawns on the Subway map to provide greater balance.

We continue to test internally and monitor online gameplay to determine what else may need adjusting.

Thanks,

Rod.

After sifting through all of the that I find myself disgusted that the typical chainsaw BS still hasn't been fixed, but rather improved (if I'm not mistaken) a slight bit?

*An issue that caused chainsaw interruption when a player is shot to be less reliable in some body positions than in others.
...The fuck?

Ugh. When I melee a guy standing in a corner with his back turned completely around AND STILL eat saw for my trouble... it is a HUGE problem. Oh well... whatever. I hope the smoke 'nade fix actually does something about the random bouncing because that too was utterly ridiculous. You spent more time in air than laying on the ground giving the other team enough time to form a firing squad on your ass before you finally stopped. ;\

What I don't understand and will probably once the update hits tomorrow is the levels. They put that the ranks are "hidden" but, now they're going to have a skill showing and the last (100) gives you an icon. So, isn't that still a rank? I really hope I'm wrong about that cause if it is then people still have a reason to cheat.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']After sifting through all of the that I find myself disgusted that the typical chainsaw BS still hasn't been fixed, but rather improved (if I'm not mistaken) a slight bit?

...The fuck?

Ugh. When I melee a guy standing in a corner with his back turned completely around AND STILL eat saw for my trouble... it is a HUGE problem. Oh well... whatever. I hope the smoke 'nade fix actually does something about the random bouncing because that too was utterly ridiculous. You spent more time in air than laying on the ground giving the other team enough time to form a firing squad on your ass before you finally stopped. ;\[/QUOTE]

I think you are misunderstanding. Plus, it's a poorly worded sentence.

What it's saying, I believe, is that BEFORE tomorrow's patch shooting someone with the chainsaw out may or may not work, depending on WHERE you hit them. They are saying that AFTER the patch, it should make them drop the chainsaw no matter where you hit them.

I could use some achievement boosting help on Gears before the map pack drops. Gotta do the horde on the flashback maps and combustible maps...anyone up for it?

[quote name='Ronin317']I could use some achievement boosting help on Gears before the map pack drops. Gotta do the horde on the flashback maps and combustible maps...anyone up for it?[/quote]

I only have the Flashback maps but I'll help, send me a FR.

Looks like we'll be hearing about another GOW2 DLC announcement during GDC. I'm hoping for single player content, but I doubt it. Dark Corners:

gears2darkcorners_580.jpg

[quote name='zewone']Looks like we'll be hearing about another GOW2 DLC announcement during GDC. I'm hoping for single player content, but I doubt it. Dark Corners:

gears2darkcorners_580.jpg
[/quote]Snowblind is just the map pack, right? I'm assuming Dark Corners will be a map pack and the one underneath Castle Crashers will be the single player content? :0)

I know nothing about the language, but all three of those have the same symbols so I'd imagine they were talking about Gears 2. :oops:

[quote name='tiredfornow']Snowblind is just the map pack, right? I'm assuming Dark Corners will be a map pack and the one underneath Fable II will be the single player content? :0)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='RSTEIN']The Dark Corner is a place I go when I picture PXG with his girlfriend.[/QUOTE]
:cool:

[quote name='thrustbucket']I think you are misunderstanding. Plus, it's a poorly worded sentence.

What it's saying, I believe, is that BEFORE tomorrow's patch shooting someone with the chainsaw out may or may not work, depending on WHERE you hit them. They are saying that AFTER the patch, it should make them drop the chainsaw no matter where you hit them.[/quote]

My mistake. You were on point though as they finally did something that effectively deals with saws at any range. Once I tighten up my aim I should be good to go.

After taking a break from Gears for awhile I decided to start playing again this weekend with some friends so we could get ready for the new maps. The match making was painfully slow. Hopefully it will get fixed in the title update.

Beware of the new incomplete match penalty. I just lost 1500 EXP for being the last person to die on my team. Ugh. How frickin' retarded. u_u'

[quote name='zewone']I've been getting into matches by myself no problem. Very quick.[/quote]
Hmmm after giving up and having lunch I came back to it and things seem to be working much faster.

This update's pretty bad. What'd they do, make the shotgun stronger? Seems I get taken down by two shots when my health is near full and I'm about 20 ft away. Definitely won't be getting the new maps any time soon.

the shotgun is crazy. it can one hit kill now. i like the new stuff. people would like it better if it was like this to begin with. Now its hard to get use to.

I'm not sure what scenarios you guys have been through where the shotgun is noticeably stronger because during most of my matches it has still been random as holy f*ck. Weird. The Lancer on the other hand has finally become a viable weapon almost on par with Burst in terms of downing now.

They haven't removed the host tells either (extra map count and character countdown double flash) so I'm curious as to what the standby prevention entails.

played about 5 or 6 matches earlier and got to rank 4! wtf? IMO, the game feels different. the controls seem much slower to me and even watching (via ghost cam) the physics look tweaked. I wasn't that good but have done a little worse than normal in most of the matches I've played since tu3. I'll get a few more matches in later so I'll see if the game seems to become smoother for me

[quote name='Gamer SDP']played about 5 or 6 matches earlier and got to rank 4! wtf? IMO, the game feels different. the controls seem much slower to me and even watching (via ghost cam) the physics look tweaked. I wasn't that good but have done a little worse than normal in most of the matches I've played since tu3. I'll get a few more matches in later so I'll see if the game seems to become smoother for me[/quote]

It's dumb. Seems every update makes this game slower in game play. The game was already slow as it is and now they make it even slower? And there is NO standby prevention, I don't know why people keep putting that. It's detection so you're still going to get cheated, fact I already got cheated a couple of times.

I'm pretty sure I'm through with this game since they practically took everything that I remotely liked about it in the first place. I have gotten matches a little quicker but, not by much, and I'd rather have the longer wait than the slow game play.

I don't even bother with ranked matches because I can't stand the quitters. I've just stuck to horde all this time, but I may just do a few ranked matches here and there to pass the time. I'm always up for a game for anyone interested. Send a friends request and let me know you're from CAG so I don't immediately dismiss it.

Bots taking over for dropped players is cool.

But I'm happy to report that the game is still all about chainsaws and shotguns. Even more so. So for those of you that play gears for chainsaws and shotguns, you'll love this patch. :roll:

The thing about the bots is that once you get good enough they're just free points. They don't take cover and when they do they always poke their heads out for an easy snipe.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']LOL.

The bots are absolute trash. Literally walking point chests just waiting to be opened. ;\[/quote]

I was watching my brother play earlier and the bots actually picked him and other teammates up a few times when they were downed.

Which, that alone is better than having one less teammate because people always decide to quit after losing a match, so I think the bot thing was a great addition, better than nothing right?

-- also (and sorry this is offtopic just looking for a quick answer), at that picture that was posted with the DLC, is that suggesting there is some upcoming Halo Wars DLC? I'd love some extra content the HW.

The game seems to be a little bit better now. I'm not yelling bullshit quite as much.

The chainsaw is still a vacuum and a shotgun won't put it down though.

I agree, it has gotten better--much better. I just got done playing for a good hour. And wow, I was actually playing longer than sitting in matchmaking for once, haha. The lag seemed to be better, although I noticed a bit of a frame rate drop every now and then (maybe my hard drive).

I like that you can now choose more specifically what mode you want to play. I was playing Guardian and Submission, and did not come across any quitters for once (I think most of the quitting idiots only play Warzone and/or Execution; not saying that EVERYONE who plays those modes are idiots, though... Also, the bot I that was on my team one game was actually pretty decent and helped our team out. Definitely better than an empty space, that's for sure.

6 days early?

Keep the comments comming. I need to know if I should finally get into the online portion or I should just wait for another patch :p

I'm just looking for 1) Quick start up times 2) Less droppers 3) Fun gameplay even if weapons are a bit unbalanced.

6 days early? The maps come out on the 31st. Not the patch.

1) The startup time is about the same 2) The droppers are about the same, but it matters less now with instant bots to take their place. 3) Gameplay is fun if you are ok with killing and dying by the shotgun and chainsaw 90% of the time.

I had less people quitting because they didn't want to lose experience.

thrust, Gears has always been shotgun/chainsaw 90% of the time. From Gears 1 til now.

I don't understand the sudden hate against the chainsaw and shottie either. Those are your two standard heavy weapons so most people are going to use those instead of getting masscred trying for a power weapon.

I'm glad they're adding bots when players drop out; that's been most wanted feature since the beginning. Maybe I'll finally hop in and play the multiplayer a bit.

The bots are still a complete gamble for me. I envy those who are paired with decent ones. ;(

I also agree with Trakan and Depascal. I mean... in any multiplayer game there's bound to be a few weapons/techniques no player can get by without learning how to use to some reasonable extent. The Shotgun and Lancer are obviously no exception. That's just the way it is and since the update made chainsaws bearable you shouldn't be getting jerked half as much by spamming morons. IHHO the shotty remains THE weapon of choice in close combat though even then you should expect not to walk away from most shotty battles due to impact lag and other random bullshit. Lancers are now a viable downing option so playing keep away or punishing a previous update two-piecer trying to rush you isn't a problem.

Personally I'm glad the game is a little more teamwork, down and long range oriented now. People have to actually rely on their strategies, aim, team than suicide piecing and saw spamming now. Thank God.

[quote name='Trakan']I had less people quitting because they didn't want to lose experience.

thrust, Gears has always been shotgun/chainsaw 90% of the time. From Gears 1 til now.[/QUOTE]

The last Gears 1 patch, for some reason, I enjoyed the most. I'm not sure why. All I know is I still like to play Gears 2, but almost always quit from frustration due to the close combat dice roll the game usually devolves into.

So I don't know if it's the game that's changed or me that's changed. But it seems in this patch the shotgun is stronger and the chainsaw vacuum is as strong as ever. I can't count how many times in my 4 hour session yesterday I blasted someone point blank with a shotgun, then got sucked into their chainsaw.

I'm buying this. I was on the fence, but not anymore. Hell, I may even spring for that last map pack. I wish they let you buy both at a discount even if it was 200 points.

bread's done
Back