OFFICIAL HALO 2 TOPIC

[quote name='rg0019']Ok, so I thought the release was tomorrow at midnight. My local news channel(Dallas-channel 8) did a 20 second spot on the release of Halo 2. They were showing the Best Buy in Plano that will be open at midnight and it had people lined up around the building. Is there something I don't know? It could be they were using stock footage from a past event but I couldn't tell. Tuesday is the 9th so I don't think I have my dates mixed up. Just wondering...[/quote]

From the Dallas Morning News.........

Anticipation, 'Halo' be thy name

Video game sequel expected to run rings around entertainment sales records

07:26 AM CST on Monday, November 8, 2004

By VICTOR GODINEZ / The Dallas Morning News

Forget Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings or the latest CD by Usher.
On Tuesday, the king of one-day entertainment sales is likely to be a machine-gun-wielding space marine who earned his fame not on the silver screen or in a music studio, but inside a video game console.
Microsoft says its sci-fi video game Halo 2 for the Xbox system will have the highest first-day sales of any entertainment product in history, possibly topping $100 million.
That would be better than the one-day sales for any box office movie release, music album or video game.
Fueling the Halo 2 frenzy are gaming magazines, Web sites, trailers on movie screens, TV documentaries and commercials, a grand unveiling in Times Square this evening and scores of other marketing placements costing tens of millions of dollars.
More than 1.5 million orders have been placed for the $50 game. The original Halo, released in 2001, has sold more than 5 million copies.
Book publisher Random House is printing an initial run of 1.1 million copies of the Halo 2 strategy guide, also for release Tuesday. Only novelist John Grisham will have a larger printing this fall.
Many game retailers will start selling Halo 2 at midnight tonight.
John Garrett, 35, of Flower Mound ordered a copy of the more expensive Halo 2: Limited Collector's Edition ($55) as soon as GameStop began taking reservations a few months ago.
"I'll either be out there at midnight or I'll be taking Tuesday off," he said. His son Austin, 10, is lobbying for the day off from school.

"I'll either be out there at midnight or I'll be taking Tuesday off," he said. His son Austin, 10, is lobbying for the day off from school.

I must be getting old considering im trying to figure out why a 10 year old is playing Halo...whipper-snappers!

Anybody catch that special on MTV on sunday ?(not sure if was shown earlier since mtv replays all thier shows) Basically showing some bands (incubus, hoobastank) making music for the game..... also some mtv icons like bam talking about it really briefly. Also had a clip of the game.

yeah, there was a topic about it too. I think the neatest part was hearing that they took the rock music and turned it into instramentals for the game. Neat idea.

[quote name='Wshakspear']yeah, there was a topic about it too. I think the neatest part was hearing that they took the rock music and turned it into instramentals for the game. Neat idea.[/quote]

Yeah, I thought that was cool too. I also like how the music is actually in the game you're playing, not just cut scenes.

Debating whether I want to collector's tin or not.

I really want all the extras (especialy for $5 more) but I think the original Halo 2 in the green jewel case with Master Chief on it loks even better.

So I'm wondering, does the collector's tin come WITH the normal green case inside or not?

Would kinda suck lugging a metal tin around from home to home, so I'm hoping you get the green case inside.

Does anyone know what the deal is with this?

Plus I wonder how many of these are really being made....collector's edition could mean "1 million copies" meaning it will have no real value over the normal green case.

[quote name='cavalier']Debating whether I want to collector's tin or not.

I really want all the extras (especialy for $5 more) but I think the original Halo 2 in the green jewel case with Master Chief on it loks even better.

So I'm wondering, does the collector's tin come WITH the normal green case inside or not?

Would kinda suck lugging a metal tin around from home to home, so I'm hoping you get the green case inside.

Plus I wonder how many of these are really being made....collector's edition could mean "1 million copies" meaning it will have no real value over the normal green case.[/quote]

A mod moved your thread here. No it's not a green case inside. it's the tin with a plastic spindle inside to hold both the discs. The tin case is not heavy. It's supposed to be Limited to pre-orders, but with them being shipped to stores like Wal-mart and K-mart which don't get many pre-orders, they will end up selling their LE versions.

[quote name='Trakan'][quote name='cavalier']Debating whether I want to collector's tin or not.

Plus I wonder how many of these are really being made....collector's edition could mean "1 million copies" meaning it will have no real value over the normal green case.[/quote]

A mod moved your thread here. No it's not a green case inside. it's the tin with a plastic spindle inside to hold both the discs. The tin case is not heavy. It's supposed to be Limited to pre-orders, but with them being shipped to stores like Wal-mart and K-mart which don't get many pre-orders, they will end up selling their LE versions.[/quote]

Circuit City, Best Buy, and Target will have extra copies of the LE also. They all have them in this week's ad as an item for general sale.....

Alright, now for the big question. IS THIS GAME GOOD ENOUGH TO MAKE ME BUY AN XBOX? Much like some other guy/gal I find the lack of anime based RPG's on the Xbox disturbing. There are only 8-9 games that I consider to be worth my time. That said, I want to know whether or not Halo 2 is good enough to make me breakdown and buy the X-Machine. I'm also pretty sure this is a question Microsoft themselves have been asking about its potential consumers. So lads/lasses. Tell me.

[quote name='crystalklear64']IS THIS GAME GOOD ENOUGH TO MAKE ME BUY AN XBOX?[/quote]

It's good enough for my best friend to have bought an XBox last night. This guy has only been playing PC games for the past 3 years, but he broke down for this one. I think that speaks pretty well of its effect.

Yes, If you watch the gamespot video review located here www.gamespot.com It gives a full review and says that it is just as good and in many ways better than PC games in the same vein. The gamplay is awesome, the story is kind of a let down (compared to the first one and where you thought it was going), but it's all about gameplay, right? Saying it is as good or better than PC games speaks volumes of why you should spend $149.99 to get the system. There are also plenty of other great games on the system to play besides Halo 2.

Is Gamestop going to have any offers during the midnight sale? The only thing I know is they are offering 20% off the guide... I hope there is more than that tonight...

You can request the soundtrack to Halo 2: Volume 1, at GamingFM.com, before everyone goes out tonight to pickup the game...:D

[quote name='crystalklear64']Alright, now for the big question. IS THIS GAME GOOD ENOUGH TO MAKE ME BUY AN XBOX? Much like some other guy/gal I find the lack of anime based RPG's on the Xbox disturbing. There are only 8-9 games that I consider to be worth my time. That said, I want to know whether or not Halo 2 is good enough to make me breakdown and buy the X-Machine. I'm also pretty sure this is a question Microsoft themselves have been asking about its potential consumers. So lads/lasses. Tell me.[/quote]
If you have broadband go for it.

I got home tonight with a rather interesting message on the machine from the establishment where I reserved my Halo 2... apparently my "game is available, come pick it up whenever you want. We're here until 9"

So of course, given my relationship with horses given as gifts and their mouths, I went and picked it up. Had it in-hand by 7pm today. Sucks that I'll be asleep before those people courageous (see also: stupid) enough to stand outside of a GameStop to get the game by midnight.

[quote name='WildWop']Sucks that I'll be asleep before those people courageous (see also: stupid) enough to stand outside of a GameStop to get the game by midnight.[/quote]

Ouch that hurts.

I'm going at 10 to Gamecrazy since they're having a Halo tournament till 12 when the game is released.

Just started up mine...not too shabby so far.

EDIT: I just have to note: the pop in during cinemas is pissing me off

topic merged
Anyone else having trouble downloading required update 4 halo 2????
this sucks balls! it wont donload it'll start but wont transfer.

I also won a copy of Halo 2 at my GameRush store! :D

midnight for me here, but i wasn't able to get it at midnight tonight. i'll have to pick it up tomorrow.

[quote name='$hady']this sucks balls! it wont donload it'll start but wont transfer.

I also won a copy of Halo 2 at my GameRush store! :D[/quote]I wish I could've gone to GameRush tonight. :(

[quote name='$hady']the servers aren't meeting the demand, people are crying on many message boards.[/quote]

Gee, they weren't ready for this server load. What a shock.

[quote name='$hady']buncha shit how can u screw up the release of halo 2[/quote]

Heh.. rude asses like you shouldn't complain, it'll make them slower.

Quite obvious that they couldn't meet demand -- common knowledge, really. I brought this up many times at the local EB, but it was shot down with "Oh, it's Microsoft -- they can handle it".

I wonder what's in the update.

[quote name='Scorch'][quote name='$hady']buncha shit how can u screw up the release of halo 2[/quote]

Quite obvious that they couldn't meet demand -- common knowledge, really. I brought this up many times at the local EB, but it was shot down with "Oh, it's Microsoft -- they can handle it".

I wonder what's in the update.[/quote]

I had no problem with lag, everyones "whining" seems to be about not being able to pick what map you can play in opti match. Supposively bungie did it as a balance issue.

I'm going to start whining about dual weilding and crouching soon.. if you do a melee attack while dual weilding, you lose your secondary weapon, and you cannot go from walking to crouching. You must fully stop, crouch, then proceed forward.

[quote name='Scorch'][quote name='$hady']buncha shit how can u screw up the release of halo 2[/quote]

I wonder what's in the update.[/quote]

I like to complain, i'm good at it. 8)

[quote name='Scorch']I'm going to start whining about dual weilding and crouching soon.. if you do a melee attack while dual weilding, you lose your secondary weapon, and you cannot go from walking to crouching. You must fully stop, crouch, then proceed forward.[/quote]

Yeah that doesn't really make sense to me. Since you hit people with the gun for a melee hit when you have one handed weapons you should be able to keep both. Go figure.

What was driving me nuts was the lag with 16 people. It ran flawlessly with 12 or less, but at 16 it chugged like a motherf*cker. I also really didn't like the bomb game, but the base capturing game was pretty cool - reminded me of Battlefield.

I haven't had a problem getting on Live or downloading the update at all.

[quote name='Riptard']wtf is in the update?[/quote]

It updates the game so you can play online (yes, I know it sounds ridiculous to have an update on day one, but it's true). Took me all of four seconds to update.

The dual wielding seems rather... gimmicky to me so far. That's not to say that I didn't thoroughly enjoy running around with dual SMGs...

Even in cut scenes there is pop up. I'm extremely disappointed. I stood in the store for like an hour...and I get this. I really hate it when you'll turn a corner and all of a sudden this huge enemy thing just pop ups. I'm amazed at how much it does this. Even in the demo from e3 2 years ago the pop up didn't look this bad. Whoever is in charge of the graphics at bungie should be terminated.

Anyone else disappointed with the graphics?

Only problem I have so far is the kickback on the SMG and that when you double wield it feels like there's not enough screen

When I saw the trailer and clips on G4TechTV I thought that it was very bland, I mean the whole area they showed looked gray and flat, maybe thats just the city area I dunno.

[quote name='hutno']Only problem I have so far is the kickback on the SMG and that when you double wield it feels like there's not enough screen[/quote]

Yeah, there's almost a claustrophobic kind of feeling so far... made worse by the dual-wielding. I just got finished fighting a Hunter, and I felt like my TV screen was falling on me for some reason.

Oh, and what is with the flashlight? It's like two seconds long... battery technology has apparently gone downhill since Halo 1...

what I would have liked is that you can have dual weapons and not have to lose them when you want to swap to single guns and throw granades. I had like two SMGs & a shoty, but I can't drop the shoty and keep the two SMGs and dual use them on the fly, I have to drop one of them. It's not easy to drop and them pick up guns when your being attacked.

Online play is really fun, I can't wait till I get my VGA box and every thing looks clean as hell.

guys i am on ALOT! my gamertag is JakeT81588...

send me a friend invite... also come into my party room right now! no one is there yet but we are playing slayer swoards for now (can change later)

bread's done
Back