Official Hollywood Video Deals Thread II - All Stores CLOSING!

super_dawn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Thank you for stopping by the Official CAG Hollywood Video Deals Thread!

"Thank you to Thekrakrabbit for originally starting the HWV Deals Thread and for passing the torch onto me."

(updated 5/4/10)

RECENT NEWS: MG/HWV files for Chap. 11 Bankruptcy for the 2nd time! ALL STORES CLOSING!

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2010/05/03/movie-gallerys-closing-act/
http://www.globest.com/news/1653_1653/portland/184780-1.html
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/movie-gallery/movie-gallery-shutting-down-all-stores-19261
http://www.myce.com/news/hollywood-video-finally-closing-its-doors-29290/

Please search the store locator for stores in your area that will be closing! Thank you.
http://hollywoodvideo.com/storelocator.aspx

If you have a problem with anything related to Hollywood Video/Movie Gallery/Game Crazy,
call 1-8SpeakToUs (1-877-325-8687).

Most Asked Question...WHEN PRICES DROP?

All stores vary when prices will drop because it depends on how well the inventory is selling. If selling fairly well the store could possibly stay open longer, if not, the store may close down earlier preventing any further discounts from happening. From what I've noticed most price drops happen once a week (days vary) and then the last two weeks they drop much quicker...every 3 days or so. Hope this info helps!

CURRENT LIQUIDATION GAME SALE INFO

The first 800 HWV store closings have finished and all stores are beginning the process over again. You will need to check in with your area store periodically about current discounts because each store is different. Current Speculation is that all stores will be closed within 10 weeks...so by July.

I do not have a master list of prices unfortunately. Most stores have gone through and price stickered the older games. There is a possibility of the newer games being price stickered as well, but until then, you will have to inquire about the price with the employee. Most prices for the newer games in the computer range between $30-$50 and then take whatever their current discount is off that price.

ALL other Deals at HWV Closing stores:

These discounts below are taken from my store's last week of closing. Just to give anyone an idea as to how low your store may go.

80% off Used DVDs higher than $14.99
80% off Used Rental Blu-Ray (range from $2-$5!)
80% off all Used Games including transferred Game Vault games
80% off all New Games
80% off Novelties (Toys, posters, game guides, board games)
80% off New DVDs
80% off New Blu-Ray
80% off Candy, Snack, & Drinks
80% off Accessories
80% off Hardware

$1.99 each Used New Release Rentals
.99 cents Core Collection DVD rentals or 6 for $5
$1.98 Core Collection Blu-Ray rentals
$1.99 Used DVDs priced $14.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $12.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $9.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $5.99

Used Games listed Under $29.99 in computer (YMMV)

:360:
50 Cent Blood on the Sand
Ace Combat 6
Afro Samurai
Alone In the Dark
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed
Beautiful Katamari
Bigs 2
Bionic Commando
BioShock
Blitz the League II
Burnout Paradise
Cabela's Dangerous Hunts
Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
Clive Barker's Jericho
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Damnation
The Darkness
Dead Rising
Destroy All Humans Path of Furon
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Fable II
Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer
Fallout 3
Far Cry II
Fight Night Round 4
Ghostbusters
Gears of War 2
GTA 4
Guitar Hero 2
Guitar Hero World Tour
Halo 3
Halo Wars
HAWX
Infinite Undiscovery
The Last Remnant
L4D
Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga
Mirror's Edge
Mortal Kombat vs DC
Ninja Blade
Ninja Gaiden
Overlord
Phantasy Star Universe
Prince of Persia
Prototype
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Resident Evil 5
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel
Saints Row 2
Shaun White Snowboarding
Silent Hill Homecoming
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection
Street Fighter 4
Tenchu Z
Terminator Salvation
Tetris Evolution
Timeshift
Tomb Raider Underworld
Too Human
Velvet Assassin
Vesperia
Vikings
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise
Wanted
WWE Legends of Wrestlemania

:ps3:
Assassin's Creed
Bad Company
Bigs 2
Bionic Commando
BioShock
Blitz the League II
Burnout Paradise
Call of Juarez
Chronicles of Riddick
Civilization Revolution
Clive Barker's Jericho
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Dead Space
Destroy all Humans
Eternal Sonata
Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer
Fallout 3
Far Cry II
Fuel
Ghostbusters
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Grid
GTA 4
GT5 Prologue
Heavenly Sword
Hot Shots Golf out of bounds
Lord of the Rings Conquest
Metal Gear Solid 4
Midnight Club: LA
MLB 09 The Show
Mortal Kombat V DC
Need For Speed Carbon
Need For Speed Underground
Overlord
Pure
Ratchet & Clank Tools of the Future
Resident Evil 5
Resistance 2
Rock Band 2
Saints Row 2
Silent Hill Homecoming
Ski Doo Snowmobile Challenge
Sonic Unleashed
Soul Calibur 4
Star Wars: Force Unleashed
Street Fighter IV
Timeshift
Trivia Pursuit
Uncharted
Up
Virtua Tennis 3
Wanted
WWE Legends of Wrestlemania

:wii:

Alone In the Dark

Big Brain Academy
Big League Sports
Bigs 2
Boom Blox I & II
Carnival Games
Conduit
Deadly Creatures
Dead Rising Chop
De Blob
Donkey Kong Barrel
Elebits
Family Feud
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
Food Network
Ghostbusters
Ghost Squad
Guitar Hero World Tour
Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility
Indiana Jones (priced $12.99)
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime 3
Mario & Sonic Olympic Games
Mario Strikers Charged
Mario Power Tennis
Metal Slug Anthology
Mini Ninjas
Monkey King (Already $4.99)
My Sims Kingdom
Need For Speed: Proshift
Overlord
Press Your Luck
Price is Right I & II
Punch Out
Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
Sonic Black Knight
Soul Calibur Legends
Spongebob Truth or Square
Star Wars Light Saber Duels
Stars Wars The Clone Wars
Stars Wars The Complete Saga
Super Paper Mario
Tales of Symphonia
Up
WarHawk
Wario Land Shake It
WarioWare Smooth Moves
Wii Music
Zack & Wiki ($9.99)

:ds:
Advance Wars Days of Ruin
Animal Crossing Wild World
Call of Duty
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrrow
Digimon Wold Dawn
GTA China Town Wars
Harvest Moon
Kingdom Hearts 385/2 Days
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Lego Batman
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass
Mario Kart
New Super Mario Bros
Nintendogs Dalmation, Lab, etc
Phoenix Wright
Pokemon Diamond
Pokemon Pearl
Pokemon Platinum
Professsor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Scribblenauts
Rhythm Heaven
Yoshi's Island

:psp:

Class of Heroes
Dissidia-Final Fantasy
FiFa Soccer '10
God of War
Motor Storm Arctic Edge
Patapon
Resistance
Sims 2
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Star Wars Force Unleashed

Hollywood Video Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a Hollywood Video Rental account in order to take advantage of any trades
- You must sign up for a new Hollywood Video account at every store you wish to trade at (Each store is separate)
- Employees cannot access your trading/purchase history from store to store
- You may get a price quote print out before you decide to trade-in any games
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your Hollywood Video account or onto a giftcard (Only in $5 increments)
- Trade-in credit can only be used on the account it is placed unless you take the giftcard option in which you may use it at any Hollywood Video/Game Crazy/Movie Gallery location

Any Forum Trades; please visit http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230651

Special Ordering Used or New Video Games

Beginning December 14th, ALL Hollywood Video stores will have the ability to place New & Used GAME Special Orders. Customers who cannot find games or accessories can place a Special Order and have it shipped from any Game Crazy/Game Zone store to their Hollywood Video for pick-up.

* Shipping Fee is $6.00 (Possibly per game if being shipped from different locations)
* Most Special Orders arrive within 7 days of ordering
* Outlet Stores do not participate in Special Orders, so YMMV on all stores.

Special Orders include:

Strategy Guides
New & Used Controllers
New & Used Games
New & Used cables, cords, and accessories
Toys & Figures

There is a list of product either on a waiting list or permanently out of stock; I may include this at a later point when I have more time. It's quite long.

Important notes (please read these before posting questions):

1) 99% of these deals will NOT work in a Game Crazy. They have their own deals; please refer to http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234882 These deals will also more than likely NOT work at a Hollywood Video with a Game Crazy attached! However, Movie Gallery may or may not have some of these same Game deals! "Movie Gallery bought Hollywood Video", hence the reason for some of the same sales at either HWV or MG.

2) Hollywood Video employees will need to scan a coupon code in order for any game to be discounted.

3) Hollywood Video's store hours vary from location to location, especially with all the store closings. Please call.

4) If you would like to contribute to any game deals, please when posting, include game, system, price, city and state.
For example:
Dragon Quest VIII, PS2, $4.99
Tampa, FL (Temple Terrace)

5) Hollywood Video's are mostly movie rental stores (games are not as important to them to keep up on), thus, always double check on sticker prices because 50% of the time they are probably stickered wrong. ;)

6) Do not trust the store locator at HollywoodVideo.com Google it and call first. That store might already be closed!

7) Hollywood Video does not do cash back if a game is damaged or you "already own it". Used games have a 90 day guarantee. You have a few options: swap for same title, swap for a different title if they do not have it, or using the disc buffer machine to try and fix the game. Hollywood Video also does disc buffing for personal items at a $1 per disc.

8) ALL sales are FINAL during the closing sale. Usually within the first few weeks of the sale if you do purchase something that does not work they MAY swap it for you. YMMV!!!

Previous HWV Thread

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235408

***I appreciate any and all comments/suggestions/adds to the OP! Either post here or even PM me if you'd like.
Thank you and I hope everyone finds some excellent deals!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='GrafixGuerilla']Thanks for the update, super_dawn.

I hit three HW videos this weekend (Detroit area) and all were cleaned out (besides Xbox and PS2 used games). Unless the stores get some additional stock, there will be very slim pickings.[/QUOTE]
Were two of these stores the Royal Oak and Southfield stores?

[quote name='steebo777']Were two of these stores the Royal Oak and Southfield stores?[/QUOTE]

I drive past the Garden City store every day, it's been cleaned out for a while. Haven't been to the others.

[quote name='steebo777']Were two of these stores the Royal Oak and Southfield stores?[/QUOTE]
The Royal Oak store has never had a great selection for the $4.99 promo in the first place.

The two HWVs in my area must've been picked clean the last go 'round ... not one title of note on 360 and NO PS3 games for sale at all.
The manager at each predicted no rental stock would be moved for sale either ... disappointing. Sorry I missed the BF sale.

[quote name='biscuitdough']For PS3, RE5 just dropped before the last sale, but good luck finding it.[/QUOTE]

by how much?

The two Hollywood Videos around me shut down, but there are a few MovieGalleries, I think HW owns those, do they have the sales as well?

Can't wait for Thursday! Thank you Super_Dawn. I was wondering how Red Faction: Guerrilla qualifies for the deal on the PS3, but not the 360?

[quote name='kvntwvlf']The two Hollywood Videos around me shut down, but there are a few MovieGalleries, I think HW owns those, do they have the sales as well?[/QUOTE]

From what I've seen from the last two sales its YMMV, but I have heard some are doing the sale.

[quote name='DJP519']Looks like a great new thread. Not sure about the purple color in the OP... but it works![/QUOTE]

Haha! Well I wanted to do pink all over and make it girly. ;) Buuut...Hollywood Video's primary color is Purple. I still have my old purple button down hwv shirt we used to wear about 2 years ago before we switched to black polo and khaki.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']will the sale be starting at all the HWVs on thursday? or will some of them start the sale on different days than others like YMMV type deal?[/QUOTE]

I'd say YMMV because you just never know if some stores are doing an entirely different promo. Hollywood Video really likes to have "test" stores that try out new things. (ie. $1 rental days, returning rentals thru mail, different promo prices) I work at one of them, however, we haven't done anything new in awhile.

btw, I added the games that have been mentioned. :) Thank you.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Do these come with original cases or crappy rental cases?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

In my experience it's a mix of both.

both, outta the last 5 games I got only Halo 3 had an original case, the other 4 were rentals. So personally i'd say you are more likely to get rental cases. but you cant beat the price.

[quote name='biscuitdough']For PS3, RE5 just dropped before the last sale, but good luck finding it.[/QUOTE]

HWV sells RE5 (ps3) for $19.99 NEW. i found a mint/complete one last sale marked $17.99 used.

I tried buying Animal Crossing for Wii at two separate HWV's, and each one it was $34.99 and did not qualify for the sale. Did this title drop in price 5 bucks? I'm pretty sure both of those HWV's still have them, because nobody else could buy it during the sale either.

just got off with one of the managers at my HWV, confirmed this sale is indeed going on this thursday. He also told me that there are very few PS3/360/Wii games left from the previous sale, but did mention that he received in a shipment of 50 PS2 games. I should of ask him if I could browse through them since I have 12 hr work schedule that day. better luck for you guys in other areas that do restock with current gen games

Fallout 3 and Resistance 2 for PS3 both qualify for the $29.99 sale now and Red Faction for the 360 does, but the version for the PS3 does NOT.:cry:

The manager at the store that I went to still has some games leftover from the last sale and he said he didn't know how long this sale was going to go but that it SHOULD be longer than the last one that just happened.

Hopefully he's going to get a shipment in before Thursday though, as most of what he had left was disc only copies of Oblivion for PS3 and other various disc only PS2/PS3/360/Wii games.

He also told me that the one local GS manager comes in and asks about when they're having these sales and which games qualify for it so they can be a bunch of bastards and lower their TIV's to match.:bomb:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Anthony1']I tried buying Animal Crossing for Wii at two separate HWV's, and each one it was $34.99 and did not qualify for the sale. Did this title drop in price 5 bucks? I'm pretty sure both of those HWV's still have them, because nobody else could buy it during the sale either.[/QUOTE]

I think we determined that the Animal Crossing with Wii Speak used price is $29.99 while the regular game used price is $34.99. So there have been a few people able to get it for the cheaper price if it was mistagged as a Wii Speak bundle (though it didn't have Wii Speak with it). It's just one of those strange things (where the bundle is cheaper).

But yeah, this caused a lot of confusion last time around.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Fallout 3 and Resistance 2 for PS3 both qualify for the $29.99 sale now and Red Faction for the 360 does, but the version for the PS3 does NOT.:cry:

The manager at the store that I went to still has some games leftover from the last sale and he said he didn't know how long this sale was going to go but that it SHOULD be longer than the last one that just happened.

Hopefully he's going to get a shipment in before Thursday though, as most of what he had left was disc only copies of Oblivion for PS3 and other various disc only PS2/PS3/360/Wii games.

He also told me that the one local GS manager comes in and asks about when they're having these sales and which games qualify for it so they can be a bunch of bastards and lower their TIV's to match.:bomb:[/QUOTE]

:( Why no love for Red Faction on PS3? I really want that one.

If you really want RF: G it's $29.99 used at Blockbuster right now. I wish that Blockbuster would match HWV's $5 sale, as I would clean up big time at their stores, whereas I know that my local 2 HWV stores are cleaned out since the last sale.

Well, unless you count that shitty disc only, no coverart or manual garbage.

[quote name='super_dawn']Haha! Well I wanted to do pink all over and make it girly. ;) Buuut...Hollywood Video's primary color is Purple. I still have my old purple button down hwv shirt we used to wear about 2 years ago before we switched to black polo and khaki.

I'd say YMMV because you just never know if some stores are doing an entirely different promo. Hollywood Video really likes to have "test" stores that try out new things. (ie. $1 rental days, returning rentals thru mail, different promo prices) I work at one of them, however, we haven't done anything new in awhile.

btw, I added the games that have been mentioned. :) Thank you.[/QUOTE]

well in that case, a better question for me to ask is.. do you think that if my store ran the last 5 dollar promo, they should be running this one too right?

I see the OP has been moved to the pink color. :lol: Its your thread, girl it up as much as you like. Honestly, nothing gay being said but, the pink doesn't look too bad :rofl:

Anyways, as far as I know Motorstorm (Pacific Rift and the normal) both qualify for the sale. As usual, YMMV though as some places may not have it qualify.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Fallout 3 and Resistance 2 for PS3 both qualify for the $29.99 sale now and Red Faction for the 360 does, but the version for the PS3 does NOT.:cry:

He also told me that the one local GS manager comes in and asks about when they're having these sales and which games qualify for it so they can be a bunch of bastards and lower their TIV's to match.:bomb:[/QUOTE]
awesome resistance 2 and fallout 3 for ps3 ...thats gr8....did they fall in price recently coz resistance 2 for sure did not qualify in last sale

Yeah. They just recently fell in price according to the manager I talked to earlier today. Hopefully I can snag a copy of both that's complete come Thursday morning, as I plan on being at his store at opening for the start of the sale, unlike the BF $5 game sale that started on #(*&in' Thanksgiving, which I didn't get in on till that Saturday.

I asked him about the copy of LOTR: Conquest for PS3 that I asked him to request for me and unfortunately he said he only had it for 360. So I'm still SOL on that game as of now. I just want something I can play co-op with my one buddy up his families' house on their PS3 besides WWE games.

I hope that the HWV that I go to restock some good games for the sale this Thursday. I completely missed out on the last sale.

Nice new thread by the way, Super_Dawn. Keep up the good work!:D

the biggest challenge of this sale for me will be convincing my local HWV employees that the sale is indeed going on! last 2 times i had to really work at it and point out the little scanny codes and they still were hesitant to do it.

denshaotoko: :rofl: The employees can be hit or miss, especially if you go to a store that gets little action. Not everyone can be the Dawn-like employee :lol:

Also, I am quite sure that Oblivion on the PS3 is eligible for the sale.

Fallout 3 (non-GOTY) for the PS3 has dropped and is eligible, but the Xbox 360 version of the game is most likely still not eligible for the deal. It seems only the PS3 version has dropped in price to be eligible for the deal.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Fallout 3 (non-GOTY) for the PS3 has dropped and is eligible, but the Xbox 360 version of the game is most likely still not eligible for the deal. It seems only the PS3 version has dropped in price to be eligible for the deal.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, this is at my local store and probably won't be retagged before then so it is mine to snag.

Now, c'mon, Star Ocean - you need to be $29.99!

[quote name='skateraXVIII']How about Fallout 3 for either PS3 or Xbox 360.[/QUOTE]

Why not just read up about 12 posts from your own asking and see that I mentioned that Fallout 3 and Resistance 2 dropped?:roll:

I can't wait for Thursday.

[quote name='regis100']Is return and rebuy a viable option?[/QUOTE]

I think unless there is a defect they won't take stuff back. Which would negate the return/rebuy.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Fallout 3 (non-GOTY) for the PS3 has dropped and is eligible, but the Xbox 360 version of the game is most likely still not eligible for the deal. It seems only the PS3 version has dropped in price to be eligible for the deal.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, went today to look around and saw both versions were marked $34.99. Good to know though.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']well in that case, a better question for me to ask is.. do you think that if my store ran the last 5 dollar promo, they should be running this one too right?[/QUOTE]

Yes. I'm sure thats a safe bet.

[quote name='pspgameboy926']
Nice new thread by the way, Super_Dawn. Keep up the good work!:D[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Do these come with original cases or crappy rental cases?[/QUOTE]

A mix of both...but if you stop by my store when I'm there I'd be more than happy to trade the crappy cases for nice 360/ps3/wii cases. ;) I do it all the time for myself when I purchase used games. I will even take the cover or "litho", as we call them, out of the display box copies to keep for my own box. I don't think you can ask for this to be done though. lol a little too much catering to the customer.

[quote name='regis100']Is return and rebuy a viable option?[/QUOTE]

Ah...something I should add to the op... You cannot return items for cashback. Hollywood Video will only either replace the item for the same item, a different item if they do not have it, or try to fix it with the disc buffer. And I do know that when they have these $5 sales...all of the trades in the computer for these particular qualifying games will be extremely less to get for a trade in the computer.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Why not just read up about 12 posts from your own asking and see that I mentioned that Fallout 3 and Resistance 2 dropped?:roll:

I can't wait for Thursday.[/QUOTE]

... I read your post earlier but I must have completely forgotten when I posted my question.

[quote name='super_dawn']Ah...something I should add to the op... You cannot return items for cashback. Hollywood Video will only either replace the item for the same item, a different item if they do not have it, or try to fix it with the disc buffer. And I do know that when they have these $5 sales...all of the trades in the computer for these particular qualifying games will be extremely less to get for a trade in the computer.[/QUOTE]

OK, makes sense. Thanks for the good info and the great thread!

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I can't wait for Thursday.[/QUOTE]

Same here! It'll be a hard wait. I have Resistance 2 and Fallout 3 waiting for me.

Happy to hear everyone is getting in on this. I am probably going to lay off the deal (moo-lah shortage!!), but it is indeed a great sale.

Hope that the roads clear up, it's still icy from the snow fall we had from yesterday. The last thing I need is to get in an accident... then I wouldn't be able to pick up as many games at this sale:p

Fallout 3 is definitely not eligible for the sale - It's $39.99 new, $34.99 used.. both XBox 360 and PS3.

Unless it dropped again either Monday or Tuesday.

bread's done
Back