Official Hollywood Video Deals Thread II - All Stores CLOSING!

super_dawn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Thank you for stopping by the Official CAG Hollywood Video Deals Thread!

"Thank you to Thekrakrabbit for originally starting the HWV Deals Thread and for passing the torch onto me."

(updated 5/4/10)

RECENT NEWS: MG/HWV files for Chap. 11 Bankruptcy for the 2nd time! ALL STORES CLOSING!

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2010/05/03/movie-gallerys-closing-act/
http://www.globest.com/news/1653_1653/portland/184780-1.html
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/movie-gallery/movie-gallery-shutting-down-all-stores-19261
http://www.myce.com/news/hollywood-video-finally-closing-its-doors-29290/

Please search the store locator for stores in your area that will be closing! Thank you.
http://hollywoodvideo.com/storelocator.aspx

If you have a problem with anything related to Hollywood Video/Movie Gallery/Game Crazy,
call 1-8SpeakToUs (1-877-325-8687).

Most Asked Question...WHEN PRICES DROP?

All stores vary when prices will drop because it depends on how well the inventory is selling. If selling fairly well the store could possibly stay open longer, if not, the store may close down earlier preventing any further discounts from happening. From what I've noticed most price drops happen once a week (days vary) and then the last two weeks they drop much quicker...every 3 days or so. Hope this info helps!

CURRENT LIQUIDATION GAME SALE INFO

The first 800 HWV store closings have finished and all stores are beginning the process over again. You will need to check in with your area store periodically about current discounts because each store is different. Current Speculation is that all stores will be closed within 10 weeks...so by July.

I do not have a master list of prices unfortunately. Most stores have gone through and price stickered the older games. There is a possibility of the newer games being price stickered as well, but until then, you will have to inquire about the price with the employee. Most prices for the newer games in the computer range between $30-$50 and then take whatever their current discount is off that price.

ALL other Deals at HWV Closing stores:

These discounts below are taken from my store's last week of closing. Just to give anyone an idea as to how low your store may go.

80% off Used DVDs higher than $14.99
80% off Used Rental Blu-Ray (range from $2-$5!)
80% off all Used Games including transferred Game Vault games
80% off all New Games
80% off Novelties (Toys, posters, game guides, board games)
80% off New DVDs
80% off New Blu-Ray
80% off Candy, Snack, & Drinks
80% off Accessories
80% off Hardware

$1.99 each Used New Release Rentals
.99 cents Core Collection DVD rentals or 6 for $5
$1.98 Core Collection Blu-Ray rentals
$1.99 Used DVDs priced $14.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $12.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $9.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $5.99

Used Games listed Under $29.99 in computer (YMMV)

:360:
50 Cent Blood on the Sand
Ace Combat 6
Afro Samurai
Alone In the Dark
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed
Beautiful Katamari
Bigs 2
Bionic Commando
BioShock
Blitz the League II
Burnout Paradise
Cabela's Dangerous Hunts
Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
Clive Barker's Jericho
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Damnation
The Darkness
Dead Rising
Destroy All Humans Path of Furon
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Fable II
Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer
Fallout 3
Far Cry II
Fight Night Round 4
Ghostbusters
Gears of War 2
GTA 4
Guitar Hero 2
Guitar Hero World Tour
Halo 3
Halo Wars
HAWX
Infinite Undiscovery
The Last Remnant
L4D
Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga
Mirror's Edge
Mortal Kombat vs DC
Ninja Blade
Ninja Gaiden
Overlord
Phantasy Star Universe
Prince of Persia
Prototype
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Resident Evil 5
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel
Saints Row 2
Shaun White Snowboarding
Silent Hill Homecoming
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection
Street Fighter 4
Tenchu Z
Terminator Salvation
Tetris Evolution
Timeshift
Tomb Raider Underworld
Too Human
Velvet Assassin
Vesperia
Vikings
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise
Wanted
WWE Legends of Wrestlemania

:ps3:
Assassin's Creed
Bad Company
Bigs 2
Bionic Commando
BioShock
Blitz the League II
Burnout Paradise
Call of Juarez
Chronicles of Riddick
Civilization Revolution
Clive Barker's Jericho
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Dead Space
Destroy all Humans
Eternal Sonata
Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer
Fallout 3
Far Cry II
Fuel
Ghostbusters
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Grid
GTA 4
GT5 Prologue
Heavenly Sword
Hot Shots Golf out of bounds
Lord of the Rings Conquest
Metal Gear Solid 4
Midnight Club: LA
MLB 09 The Show
Mortal Kombat V DC
Need For Speed Carbon
Need For Speed Underground
Overlord
Pure
Ratchet & Clank Tools of the Future
Resident Evil 5
Resistance 2
Rock Band 2
Saints Row 2
Silent Hill Homecoming
Ski Doo Snowmobile Challenge
Sonic Unleashed
Soul Calibur 4
Star Wars: Force Unleashed
Street Fighter IV
Timeshift
Trivia Pursuit
Uncharted
Up
Virtua Tennis 3
Wanted
WWE Legends of Wrestlemania

:wii:

Alone In the Dark

Big Brain Academy
Big League Sports
Bigs 2
Boom Blox I & II
Carnival Games
Conduit
Deadly Creatures
Dead Rising Chop
De Blob
Donkey Kong Barrel
Elebits
Family Feud
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
Food Network
Ghostbusters
Ghost Squad
Guitar Hero World Tour
Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility
Indiana Jones (priced $12.99)
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime 3
Mario & Sonic Olympic Games
Mario Strikers Charged
Mario Power Tennis
Metal Slug Anthology
Mini Ninjas
Monkey King (Already $4.99)
My Sims Kingdom
Need For Speed: Proshift
Overlord
Press Your Luck
Price is Right I & II
Punch Out
Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
Sonic Black Knight
Soul Calibur Legends
Spongebob Truth or Square
Star Wars Light Saber Duels
Stars Wars The Clone Wars
Stars Wars The Complete Saga
Super Paper Mario
Tales of Symphonia
Up
WarHawk
Wario Land Shake It
WarioWare Smooth Moves
Wii Music
Zack & Wiki ($9.99)

:ds:
Advance Wars Days of Ruin
Animal Crossing Wild World
Call of Duty
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrrow
Digimon Wold Dawn
GTA China Town Wars
Harvest Moon
Kingdom Hearts 385/2 Days
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Lego Batman
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass
Mario Kart
New Super Mario Bros
Nintendogs Dalmation, Lab, etc
Phoenix Wright
Pokemon Diamond
Pokemon Pearl
Pokemon Platinum
Professsor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Scribblenauts
Rhythm Heaven
Yoshi's Island

:psp:

Class of Heroes
Dissidia-Final Fantasy
FiFa Soccer '10
God of War
Motor Storm Arctic Edge
Patapon
Resistance
Sims 2
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Star Wars Force Unleashed

Hollywood Video Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a Hollywood Video Rental account in order to take advantage of any trades
- You must sign up for a new Hollywood Video account at every store you wish to trade at (Each store is separate)
- Employees cannot access your trading/purchase history from store to store
- You may get a price quote print out before you decide to trade-in any games
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your Hollywood Video account or onto a giftcard (Only in $5 increments)
- Trade-in credit can only be used on the account it is placed unless you take the giftcard option in which you may use it at any Hollywood Video/Game Crazy/Movie Gallery location

Any Forum Trades; please visit http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230651

Special Ordering Used or New Video Games

Beginning December 14th, ALL Hollywood Video stores will have the ability to place New & Used GAME Special Orders. Customers who cannot find games or accessories can place a Special Order and have it shipped from any Game Crazy/Game Zone store to their Hollywood Video for pick-up.

* Shipping Fee is $6.00 (Possibly per game if being shipped from different locations)
* Most Special Orders arrive within 7 days of ordering
* Outlet Stores do not participate in Special Orders, so YMMV on all stores.

Special Orders include:

Strategy Guides
New & Used Controllers
New & Used Games
New & Used cables, cords, and accessories
Toys & Figures

There is a list of product either on a waiting list or permanently out of stock; I may include this at a later point when I have more time. It's quite long.

Important notes (please read these before posting questions):

1) 99% of these deals will NOT work in a Game Crazy. They have their own deals; please refer to http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234882 These deals will also more than likely NOT work at a Hollywood Video with a Game Crazy attached! However, Movie Gallery may or may not have some of these same Game deals! "Movie Gallery bought Hollywood Video", hence the reason for some of the same sales at either HWV or MG.

2) Hollywood Video employees will need to scan a coupon code in order for any game to be discounted.

3) Hollywood Video's store hours vary from location to location, especially with all the store closings. Please call.

4) If you would like to contribute to any game deals, please when posting, include game, system, price, city and state.
For example:
Dragon Quest VIII, PS2, $4.99
Tampa, FL (Temple Terrace)

5) Hollywood Video's are mostly movie rental stores (games are not as important to them to keep up on), thus, always double check on sticker prices because 50% of the time they are probably stickered wrong. ;)

6) Do not trust the store locator at HollywoodVideo.com Google it and call first. That store might already be closed!

7) Hollywood Video does not do cash back if a game is damaged or you "already own it". Used games have a 90 day guarantee. You have a few options: swap for same title, swap for a different title if they do not have it, or using the disc buffer machine to try and fix the game. Hollywood Video also does disc buffing for personal items at a $1 per disc.

8) ALL sales are FINAL during the closing sale. Usually within the first few weeks of the sale if you do purchase something that does not work they MAY swap it for you. YMMV!!!

Previous HWV Thread

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235408

***I appreciate any and all comments/suggestions/adds to the OP! Either post here or even PM me if you'd like.
Thank you and I hope everyone finds some excellent deals!

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to the closest surviving Hollywood Video tonight, it closes tomorrow. Games were basically picked over except for some older sports titles.

Best thing was the stack of guides they laid out while I was there, 10 for $1.

Grabbed some Mass Effect 2 and a Super Mario Galaxy CE guide, among about 100. Gotta update my trade list now :)

I'm gonna miss HWV, my gf and I have probably closed 8 stores in the past three years now. It doesn't get better than $1 dvds!

[quote name='DJ_Tet']Went to the closest surviving Hollywood Video tonight, it closes tomorrow. Games were basically picked over except for some older sports titles.

Best thing was the stack of guides they laid out while I was there, 10 for $1.

Grabbed some Mass Effect 2 and a Super Mario Galaxy CE guide, among about 100. Gotta update my trade list now :)

I'm gonna miss HWV, my gf and I have probably closed 8 stores in the past three years now. It doesn't get better than $1 dvds![/QUOTE]

Hehe...those Mario guides are pretty cool because they come with the posters and I've been giving them as gifts to my son and nephew. I'm too cheap to buy $5 posters for them, so the fact that they can get a poster and a book for $2.99 or under right now is a bonus! Hehe...

I just went to the Hollywood on Platt and Victory in West Hills. They had some decent 360 stuff. NHL 10 and several SVR 10 at 70% off. They had 1 PS3 game but I had never heard of it before so I don't even remember the title.

Just returned from visiting several HWV's in the Vancouver, WA area. Picked up quite a bit of good stuff. Discounts were in the 80-90% range.

Here's a few of my finds -

PS3 -

WWE Legends of Wrestlemania $1.80
Beatles Rock Band $7.00
Borderlands $7.00
Ratchet & Clank Future : A Crack In Time $7.00

Wii -

Cars Race O Rama $6.00
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2010 $5.00

Xbox 360 -

WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2010 $3.50
Dragon Ball Raging Blast $7.00

Picked up a few other cheapo games in the $1.80 to $2.50 price range, along with 22 Blu-Rays @ $2.99 each, 40 DVD's @ 50 cents each, 9 strategy guides @ $1 each, and a Easy Jack 2 for $4.50.

Here is today's final day breakdown of whatever's left:

New DVD's - $1.99
Core DVD's - 50 cents
Blu-rays - $1.99
Video Games - 90% off (nothing left really)

[quote name='twinton']Just returned from visiting several HWV's in the Vancouver, WA area. Picked up quite a bit of good stuff. Discounts were in the 80-90% range.

Here's a few of my finds -

PS3 -

WWE Legends of Wrestlemania $1.80
Beatles Rock Band $7.00
Borderlands $7.00
Ratchet & Clank Future : A Crack In Time $7.00

Wii -

Cars Race O Rama $6.00
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2010 $5.00

Xbox 360 -

WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2010 $3.50
Dragon Ball Raging Blast $7.00

Picked up a few other cheapo games in the $1.80 to $2.50 price range, along with 22 Blu-Rays @ $2.99 each, 40 DVD's @ 50 cents each, 9 strategy guides @ $1 each, and a Easy Jack 2 for $4.50.[/QUOTE]

May I ask what was left at the Vancouver stores? Was thinking about heading over there.. Really interested in SvR at that price!

All that was left at my store yesterday were a couple of copies of Lego RB - at 70% off, I think...

And all adult movies were 90% off!!!!!! Clothes in those videos are 100% off... Hehe. Yes, my Movie Gallery had a back room...

[quote name='coma8']May I ask what was left at the Vancouver stores? Was thinking about heading over there.. Really interested in SvR at that price![/QUOTE]

Not a heck of a lot left. The one that I found the 360 SvR 2010 for $3.50 was the store on 63rd. They were at 90% off yesterday, but the cashier mentioned that she thought somebody was going to come in and buy the remaining inventory last night.

Today was the last day for the hollywood video in uniontown pa. When i went it, they were wiped clean of everything. It was to the point that they were selling their remaing stock of dvds 40 for $10.00!

Anyways, i went over to the video game section and the remaining stock of games were all 90% off, but they were all last gen sports titles. I managed to snag tony hawks underground and american wasteland for the original xbox, as well as their lone copy of jade empire for 30 cents each. As soon as i go up to the checkout, the ladt asks "do you have an xbox 360?" i said of course, and she proceeds to bring over 5 360 games. She tells me they're all disc only but these are the only current gen games left, and if i want them, i can have them all for 3.00. I figured, hel, even if they're crap, i only paid 3.00 for them. Anyways, heres what i got!

Tom clancys endwar
red alert 3
the bigs
destroy all humans
are you smarter than a 5th grader

destroy all humans and are you smarter than are pretty terrible, but the. Igs is an awesome baseball arcade game thus far and ive heard good things about the other two!

I plan on going to the movie gallery tomorrow to see if theyre still open. Hopefully i can score some more games for dirt cheap!

Was in Florence, AL today and noticed they had a HWV closing. Games were 75% off and movies were 10 for $15. My mom was with me at the time and she ended up buying like 25 movies. I picked up a couple myself, a new copy of Blow for 3.00 and got a copy of Bayonetta for ~$11.

They had a sealed copy of Valkyria Chronicles for $10 but I passed. That and all of their Guitar Hero/Rock Band "band" games were like $10 apiece but I passed on those as well, just bought way too many games lately...there comes a time when even if it's $10 on a good deal, it adds up.

Finally lost our last Movie Gallery. Over the course of their closing I ended up buying about 15 video games, 100+ DVDs, and 27 Blu-Rays. Didn't spend all that much. Towards the end DVDs were .50 and Blus were $1. Last day I bought the last four games. $3.50 for Vancouver 2010, $1.80 for Beijing 2008, $1.50 for Marvel Ultimate Alliance Wii, and $1.80 for Afro Samurai on PS3. Other games I bought earlier in the closing sale were Borderlands PS3, King of Fighters XIII, Heavy Rain, Yakuza 3, Dragon Age Awakening x2, Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars, LittleBigPlanet PSP, Pokemon HeartGold, Luminous Arc 2, White Knight Chronicles, and a bunch more I can't think of off the top of my head.

I went back to the HWV by me today. As expected, the handful of 360 games that were there just a half a week ago were long gone, since they had finally gone up to 90% off. The movies that were left were total crap, with not a single halfway decent movie left in the store, including the tv box sets which were $.99 per set. Most of the sets were missing a disc here or there, which I really think people do at the beginning of the sale in hopes that people won't buy the rest of the set cuz of it being incomplete.:roll:

I bought a 20-25" SDtv for $10 and a 2-3 step stepladder from them for $5, but they're still using the ladder so I have to go back tomorrow to get it.:bomb:

My local Hollywood Video is closing on Sunday. I figured I'd hit them up tomorrow, but decided on a whim to go there on my lunch break this afternoon. They had Blu-rays marked to $3.99, DVDs for $1.99 (or 10 for $15) and video games were 70% off. I was shocked when I saw they had Heavy Rain, Uncharted 2 and Bayonetta, because they weren't there on Tuesday when I looked. I bought them, plus two movies I didn't want to miss out on.

It looked pretty busy, so I went back after work for more DVDs figuring I better buy now because waiting for them to hit $1 each would mean potentially losing them to someone else.

Between lunchtime and 5, all of the video games and all of the used and new Blu-rays had been pulled from the shelves. I don't know if they sold or if there were orders to box them up and mail them to the liquidators, but I was disappointed. (Though, honestly, nothing I was really interested in was left and I wasn't too thrilled about having to buy Blu-ray cases since all of HWV's Blu-rays were in DVD cases.)

I managed to snag a Mass Effect 2 sign for free when I asked the manager how much it was, too.

I'll miss the awesome deals HWV had on used games.

Just got back from the Escondido CA store. Tomorrow is last day. Bought 20 movies $1 each including A serious Man, Informant, Jim Jeffries, The Orphan, THe final Destination, that Aces II movie, Sunshine cleaning and about 10 games at 90% off, nothing great, Velvet Assassin, Bakugan and some more crap games, but for $2.00 or less, cant say no.

[quote name='heartagram311']Today was the last day for the hollywood video in uniontown pa. When i went it, they were wiped clean of everything. It was to the point that they were selling their remaing stock of dvds 40 for $10.00!

Anyways, i went over to the video game section and the remaining stock of games were all 90% off, but they were all last gen sports titles. I managed to snag tony hawks underground and american wasteland for the original xbox, as well as their lone copy of jade empire for 30 cents each. As soon as i go up to the checkout, the ladt asks "do you have an xbox 360?" i said of course, and she proceeds to bring over 5 360 games. She tells me they're all disc only but these are the only current gen games left, and if i want them, i can have them all for 3.00. I figured, hel, even if they're crap, i only paid 3.00 for them. Anyways, heres what i got!

Tom clancys endwar
red alert 3
the bigs
destroy all humans
are you smarter than a 5th grader

destroy all humans and are you smarter than are pretty terrible, but the. Igs is an awesome baseball arcade game thus far and ive heard good things about the other two!

I plan on going to the movie gallery tomorrow to see if theyre still open. Hopefully i can score some more games for dirt cheap![/QUOTE]

That store will have a new sign on it saying Family Video if the rumors I have heard are true.. Less then 30 days from now if what the bird told me turns out to be true.

I went to a closing store (it was their last day open). Everything was 90% off and all dvds were $1. Just as I get there, some guy buys out the entire store...it was ridiculous. All strategy guides (which were 5 for $1), all games, all blurays, all dvds...everything. I asked the clerk if anything was left, and he asked the guy who bought everything if he wanted to leave some strategy guides for me, to which he replied no. Honestly, guy was a TOTAL hoardo. he mustve gotten like 5-10 GOW3 strategy guides. needless to say, I was pissed; wish Id gotten there an hour early...

I just powered up the tv I bought yesterday from HWV. Not bad. It does buzz a bit, but after setting up the channels on it it's got a nicer picture than the one in my room.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I just powered up the tv I bought yesterday from HWV. Not bad. It does buzz a bit, but after setting up the channels on it it's got a nicer picture than the one in my room.[/QUOTE]

Don't tell me your still using a SD tv with the PS3.....

My store has 8 days left. I've been hitting it periodically, getting Blus for $4-$5 just to avoid them not being there when it hits $1-$2. I haven't bought any games, but they're all still at 70%, and there's nothing truly great that's worth buying at 70% off. Maybe at 90%. I'll probably go in next Tuesday and then on the final day. They still have at least half of the original stock left, plus they just yesterday got in a bunch of DVD's from other MG's and HWV's in the area that closed already, which I suppose is more than some of you guys have been able to say.

[quote name='lude21']Don't tell me your still using a SD tv with the PS3.....[/QUOTE]
No. I have that 21.5" HD computer monitor I bought from Target for $160-170 that I found was someone's return, which I returned/rebought at a much further Target for $40. Although I'm considering returning it again and getting a truly sealed monitor, though then I'd need to get a $5 DVI-D to HDMI adapter from NewEgg for the newer model since it doesn't have an HDMI port on it.:cry:

Hit the store in Hagerstown today since I already had to go there for an interview. Everything was 80% off and there wasn't much left, at least for games. Was a lot of GH:WT and Dark Void however. I did pick up a few things though for what's going to be my last stop here (closes wednesday iirc).

360:

King of Fighters XII sealed
Velvet Assassin
Smash Court Tennis 3
Guilty Gear 2 Overture

Gamecube:

Wrestlemania x8

DVDs:

Double Identity
End Game
iMurders
Drag Me To Hell
Pelham 123

For DVDs, was unfamiliar with a lot of what was there (never was a big movie person) so I took the chance on a few I thought looked cool. I have seen the latter 2 though which I know are good.

[quote name='JStryke']
For DVDs, was unfamiliar with a lot of what was there (never was a big movie person) so I took the chance on a few I thought looked cool. I have seen the latter 2 though which I know are good.[/QUOTE]
That's all that was left at the store by me by their last night(yesterday). It's funny, since at the Movie Gallery that closed down the line about 4-5 months ago they still had some bigger name movies in stock within the last week.

But I'm guessing someone with a movie shop stopped in and grabbed up any of the more recent stuff.

What makes me really laugh though is how many of the tv box sets were incomplete. I think people show up within the first 2-3 weeks of a store closing sale, buy up random discs from the season sets and then come back within the last two weeks to buy the rest of the set.

Local store hit 90% off games today, so I went in, expecting disc only sports garbage, but I got some OK finds :

Dark void $2.50
MX vs ATV Reflex $3.50
Beijing olympics (sealed) $2
Hellboy $1.50
Xbox Playboy mansion 79 cents LOL

Movies were pretty much wiped, only C-list straight to video stuff left, e.g. lot of copies of that Lindsay Lohan pregnancy movie...

No games left at my local store, picked up God of War III, Grand Theft Auto IV, and Medal Gear Solid 4 guides at 90% off.

If I can get even one complete box set during closing, i'll hoardo the store and have a lowball.

There's a few left. The excitement is building up. It's like a volcano of unemployment.

[quote name='Interfeci']If I can get even one complete box set during closing, i'll hoardo the store and have a lowball.

There's a few left. The excitement is building up. It's like a volcano of unemployment.[/QUOTE]
:lol: Good luck. At least if the HWV stores were like Movie Gallery ones I could've maybe scored some really old as hell XXX flicks from the uhhh 'back room'.

I kinda snickered when I went to the two MG stores around here that had that kind of movies in them. The people you see coming out of there looked ashamed cuz they had one of those things that beeps when you open the door, so everyone in the store would look in their direction when they would come out of there.:lol:

[quote name='Badman']Got 10 God of War 3 Guides for a total of 2.50+tax.[/QUOTE]
Wow. That's a hell of a deal.:applause: They didn't even have any guides at the one I've been hitting up, so I was SOL on trying to grab any.

[quote name='Badman']Got 10 God of War 3 Guides for a total of 2.50+tax.[/QUOTE]

Wow, great deal.:applause: Very profitable for sure, that's like 25 cents per guide.

Last two days for the one at Columbia, MO. Sign outside the door says 80-90% off, but inside games/guides are only 75%. DVDs are 99 cents each or cheaper if you buy in bulk. Blus are $1.99 but there were like 5 left. Games were all crap too. Good amount of guides, and tons of GOW3 guides, but I wasn't spending $5 a pop on them. Can't decide if I'll pop in one last time or not.

[quote name='Mizzou75']Last two days for the one at Columbia, MO. Sign outside the door says 80-90% off, but inside games/guides are only 75%. DVDs are 99 cents each or cheaper if you buy in bulk. Blus are $1.99 but there were like 5 left. Games were all crap too. Good amount of guides, and tons of GOW3 guides, but I wasn't spending $5 a pop on them. Can't decide if I'll pop in one last time or not.[/QUOTE]

Well, if they didn't have anything useful to you this time, tomorrow there will only be less.

Hardly game related, but here's what I picked up from my Hollywood on their second to last day before they closed:

DVD:

Beyond A Reasonable Doubt
The International
Crash Season 1 (4 disks, 3 cases)
Air Guitar Nation
Layer Cake
Vantage Point
Taking of Pelham 123
Lymelife
Bruno

Guides:

Street Fighter IV (Sealed)
Blue Dragon (Sealed)
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Sealed)
Sims 3 (Unsealed)

All for ~$15 after tax. The DVDs were ten for ten (seeing I combined new releases with old), the guides were a dollar a piece, and Bruno was $0.25. I'm happy with my haul, but really sad to see the place like that. R.I.P. HWV/GC.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Well, if they didn't have anything useful to you this time, tomorrow there will only be less.[/QUOTE]

Well I'd swipe some guides if it was the last day and they were extremely cheap, but I wasnt paying $5/guide today.

Any clue how much longer stores will be open? I'd like to go to the one I bought some stuff at last week but its a 90 mile drive..

[quote name='freeorelse']This reminds me of our Southern furniture going out of business for 10 years . Who is closing next.[/QUOTE]
:lol: I thought only we in PA had stores claiming 'going out of biz' sales every other month. The one furniture store up in my area had those sales about once a month or so for over 5-10 years.

It was really quite hilarious to hear the same ads repeated numerous times. But then they did finally go out of business legitimately the last time, only to reopen in another location about 2-3 years later which is less than 5 miles from their old location.:roll:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:lol: Good luck. At least if the HWV stores were like Movie Gallery ones I could've maybe scored some really old as hell XXX flicks from the uhhh 'back room'.

I kinda snickered when I went to the two MG stores around here that had that kind of movies in them. The people you see coming out of there looked ashamed cuz they had one of those things that beeps when you open the door, so everyone in the store would look in their direction when they would come out of there.:lol:[/QUOTE]

F that. I walked out of there with my porn DVDs like I owned the place. I wanted to buy more the next night, but someone had purchased the ENTIRE porn room. The ENTIRE fucking room!!!! Lucky bastard. Other than having to destroy the gay DVDs with forceps and pincers, I'd have been in heaven with an entire room of porn.

Well so much for two days left for the Columbia, MO store. Went by today to see if the guides had dropped any lower in price but they were closed. It's kinda weird, a year ago there were four Movie Galleries here, a HWV and a GameCrazy and now they are all gone. And I'm sure our one Blockbuster will be gone by this time next year.

Checked the store locate in my area, it says store closing next to some of them but not all. Saddly the closest store that is closing in my area is like 20 miles away :(

They're all closing, even if they don't say it on the locator. The one here never said "store closing" on the locator but it's gone now.

[quote name='skabiohazard']Checked the store locate in my area, it says store closing next to some of them but not all. Saddly the closest store that is closing in my area is like 20 miles away :([/QUOTE]
Twenty miles? That's nothing. I was gonna go 40+ miles one way to the other HWV I know of that was within driving distance, but I figured I'd get there and it'd be closed already.

bread's done
Back