Official Hollywood Video Deals Thread II - All Stores CLOSING!

super_dawn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Thank you for stopping by the Official CAG Hollywood Video Deals Thread!

"Thank you to Thekrakrabbit for originally starting the HWV Deals Thread and for passing the torch onto me."

(updated 5/4/10)

RECENT NEWS: MG/HWV files for Chap. 11 Bankruptcy for the 2nd time! ALL STORES CLOSING!

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2010/05/03/movie-gallerys-closing-act/
http://www.globest.com/news/1653_1653/portland/184780-1.html
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/movie-gallery/movie-gallery-shutting-down-all-stores-19261
http://www.myce.com/news/hollywood-video-finally-closing-its-doors-29290/

Please search the store locator for stores in your area that will be closing! Thank you.
http://hollywoodvideo.com/storelocator.aspx

If you have a problem with anything related to Hollywood Video/Movie Gallery/Game Crazy,
call 1-8SpeakToUs (1-877-325-8687).

Most Asked Question...WHEN PRICES DROP?

All stores vary when prices will drop because it depends on how well the inventory is selling. If selling fairly well the store could possibly stay open longer, if not, the store may close down earlier preventing any further discounts from happening. From what I've noticed most price drops happen once a week (days vary) and then the last two weeks they drop much quicker...every 3 days or so. Hope this info helps!

CURRENT LIQUIDATION GAME SALE INFO

The first 800 HWV store closings have finished and all stores are beginning the process over again. You will need to check in with your area store periodically about current discounts because each store is different. Current Speculation is that all stores will be closed within 10 weeks...so by July.

I do not have a master list of prices unfortunately. Most stores have gone through and price stickered the older games. There is a possibility of the newer games being price stickered as well, but until then, you will have to inquire about the price with the employee. Most prices for the newer games in the computer range between $30-$50 and then take whatever their current discount is off that price.

ALL other Deals at HWV Closing stores:

These discounts below are taken from my store's last week of closing. Just to give anyone an idea as to how low your store may go.

80% off Used DVDs higher than $14.99
80% off Used Rental Blu-Ray (range from $2-$5!)
80% off all Used Games including transferred Game Vault games
80% off all New Games
80% off Novelties (Toys, posters, game guides, board games)
80% off New DVDs
80% off New Blu-Ray
80% off Candy, Snack, & Drinks
80% off Accessories
80% off Hardware

$1.99 each Used New Release Rentals
.99 cents Core Collection DVD rentals or 6 for $5
$1.98 Core Collection Blu-Ray rentals
$1.99 Used DVDs priced $14.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $12.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $9.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $5.99

Used Games listed Under $29.99 in computer (YMMV)

:360:
50 Cent Blood on the Sand
Ace Combat 6
Afro Samurai
Alone In the Dark
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed
Beautiful Katamari
Bigs 2
Bionic Commando
BioShock
Blitz the League II
Burnout Paradise
Cabela's Dangerous Hunts
Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
Clive Barker's Jericho
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Damnation
The Darkness
Dead Rising
Destroy All Humans Path of Furon
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Fable II
Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer
Fallout 3
Far Cry II
Fight Night Round 4
Ghostbusters
Gears of War 2
GTA 4
Guitar Hero 2
Guitar Hero World Tour
Halo 3
Halo Wars
HAWX
Infinite Undiscovery
The Last Remnant
L4D
Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga
Mirror's Edge
Mortal Kombat vs DC
Ninja Blade
Ninja Gaiden
Overlord
Phantasy Star Universe
Prince of Persia
Prototype
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Resident Evil 5
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel
Saints Row 2
Shaun White Snowboarding
Silent Hill Homecoming
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection
Street Fighter 4
Tenchu Z
Terminator Salvation
Tetris Evolution
Timeshift
Tomb Raider Underworld
Too Human
Velvet Assassin
Vesperia
Vikings
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise
Wanted
WWE Legends of Wrestlemania

:ps3:
Assassin's Creed
Bad Company
Bigs 2
Bionic Commando
BioShock
Blitz the League II
Burnout Paradise
Call of Juarez
Chronicles of Riddick
Civilization Revolution
Clive Barker's Jericho
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Dead Space
Destroy all Humans
Eternal Sonata
Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer
Fallout 3
Far Cry II
Fuel
Ghostbusters
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Grid
GTA 4
GT5 Prologue
Heavenly Sword
Hot Shots Golf out of bounds
Lord of the Rings Conquest
Metal Gear Solid 4
Midnight Club: LA
MLB 09 The Show
Mortal Kombat V DC
Need For Speed Carbon
Need For Speed Underground
Overlord
Pure
Ratchet & Clank Tools of the Future
Resident Evil 5
Resistance 2
Rock Band 2
Saints Row 2
Silent Hill Homecoming
Ski Doo Snowmobile Challenge
Sonic Unleashed
Soul Calibur 4
Star Wars: Force Unleashed
Street Fighter IV
Timeshift
Trivia Pursuit
Uncharted
Up
Virtua Tennis 3
Wanted
WWE Legends of Wrestlemania

:wii:

Alone In the Dark

Big Brain Academy
Big League Sports
Bigs 2
Boom Blox I & II
Carnival Games
Conduit
Deadly Creatures
Dead Rising Chop
De Blob
Donkey Kong Barrel
Elebits
Family Feud
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
Food Network
Ghostbusters
Ghost Squad
Guitar Hero World Tour
Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility
Indiana Jones (priced $12.99)
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime 3
Mario & Sonic Olympic Games
Mario Strikers Charged
Mario Power Tennis
Metal Slug Anthology
Mini Ninjas
Monkey King (Already $4.99)
My Sims Kingdom
Need For Speed: Proshift
Overlord
Press Your Luck
Price is Right I & II
Punch Out
Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
Sonic Black Knight
Soul Calibur Legends
Spongebob Truth or Square
Star Wars Light Saber Duels
Stars Wars The Clone Wars
Stars Wars The Complete Saga
Super Paper Mario
Tales of Symphonia
Up
WarHawk
Wario Land Shake It
WarioWare Smooth Moves
Wii Music
Zack & Wiki ($9.99)

:ds:
Advance Wars Days of Ruin
Animal Crossing Wild World
Call of Duty
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrrow
Digimon Wold Dawn
GTA China Town Wars
Harvest Moon
Kingdom Hearts 385/2 Days
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Lego Batman
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass
Mario Kart
New Super Mario Bros
Nintendogs Dalmation, Lab, etc
Phoenix Wright
Pokemon Diamond
Pokemon Pearl
Pokemon Platinum
Professsor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Scribblenauts
Rhythm Heaven
Yoshi's Island

:psp:

Class of Heroes
Dissidia-Final Fantasy
FiFa Soccer '10
God of War
Motor Storm Arctic Edge
Patapon
Resistance
Sims 2
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Star Wars Force Unleashed

Hollywood Video Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a Hollywood Video Rental account in order to take advantage of any trades
- You must sign up for a new Hollywood Video account at every store you wish to trade at (Each store is separate)
- Employees cannot access your trading/purchase history from store to store
- You may get a price quote print out before you decide to trade-in any games
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your Hollywood Video account or onto a giftcard (Only in $5 increments)
- Trade-in credit can only be used on the account it is placed unless you take the giftcard option in which you may use it at any Hollywood Video/Game Crazy/Movie Gallery location

Any Forum Trades; please visit http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230651

Special Ordering Used or New Video Games

Beginning December 14th, ALL Hollywood Video stores will have the ability to place New & Used GAME Special Orders. Customers who cannot find games or accessories can place a Special Order and have it shipped from any Game Crazy/Game Zone store to their Hollywood Video for pick-up.

* Shipping Fee is $6.00 (Possibly per game if being shipped from different locations)
* Most Special Orders arrive within 7 days of ordering
* Outlet Stores do not participate in Special Orders, so YMMV on all stores.

Special Orders include:

Strategy Guides
New & Used Controllers
New & Used Games
New & Used cables, cords, and accessories
Toys & Figures

There is a list of product either on a waiting list or permanently out of stock; I may include this at a later point when I have more time. It's quite long.

Important notes (please read these before posting questions):

1) 99% of these deals will NOT work in a Game Crazy. They have their own deals; please refer to http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234882 These deals will also more than likely NOT work at a Hollywood Video with a Game Crazy attached! However, Movie Gallery may or may not have some of these same Game deals! "Movie Gallery bought Hollywood Video", hence the reason for some of the same sales at either HWV or MG.

2) Hollywood Video employees will need to scan a coupon code in order for any game to be discounted.

3) Hollywood Video's store hours vary from location to location, especially with all the store closings. Please call.

4) If you would like to contribute to any game deals, please when posting, include game, system, price, city and state.
For example:
Dragon Quest VIII, PS2, $4.99
Tampa, FL (Temple Terrace)

5) Hollywood Video's are mostly movie rental stores (games are not as important to them to keep up on), thus, always double check on sticker prices because 50% of the time they are probably stickered wrong. ;)

6) Do not trust the store locator at HollywoodVideo.com Google it and call first. That store might already be closed!

7) Hollywood Video does not do cash back if a game is damaged or you "already own it". Used games have a 90 day guarantee. You have a few options: swap for same title, swap for a different title if they do not have it, or using the disc buffer machine to try and fix the game. Hollywood Video also does disc buffing for personal items at a $1 per disc.

8) ALL sales are FINAL during the closing sale. Usually within the first few weeks of the sale if you do purchase something that does not work they MAY swap it for you. YMMV!!!

Previous HWV Thread

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235408

***I appreciate any and all comments/suggestions/adds to the OP! Either post here or even PM me if you'd like.
Thank you and I hope everyone finds some excellent deals!

Last edited by a moderator:
It must've Scorch, since I don't think this manager would lead me wrong. He's given me info on upcoming sales long before I've even seen them mentioned on CAG many times before.

Thanks for the quick answers Dawn!

anyone know if Mario Party Wii and Super Smash Bros Brawl Wii have dropped, I think they were both 34.99 last sale, or if they're mistagged

edit: hmm, just checked the OP a little closer and noticed SSBB (Wii) should be included, so maybe mistag at my hwv?

[quote name='Scorch']Fallout 3 is definitely not eligible for the sale - It's $39.99 new, $34.99 used.. both XBox 360 and PS3.

Unless it dropped again either Monday or Tuesday.[/QUOTE]

I'll check today...among lots of other games mentioned in earlier posts.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']Thanks for the quick answers Dawn!

anyone know if Mario Party Wii and Super Smash Bros Brawl Wii have dropped, I think they were both 34.99 last sale, or if they're mistagged

edit: hmm, just checked the OP a little closer and noticed SSBB (Wii) should be included, so maybe mistag at my hwv?[/QUOTE]

yea ssbb was the only real good mario game i saw under 30... mario kart was still at 34.99 but I will definitely be checking to see if it dropped because we have a copy at my store that I want to get. ;)

EDIT: ssbb is still 34.99..my bad. Either it went up in price or it was just wishful thinking on my part. :(

I just called my local store and they told me the sale starts tomorrow. They assured me that it didn't start today. I guess I'll see what luck everyone else has. I guess if they aren't going to scan the coupon today anyway, there's no point in my going there unless they'd be kind enough to put games aside for me.

I've made a list of games I want. Infamous doesn't qualify for this deal, correct?

Remember, depending on your store, you might be able to order games from them. Some stores charge the $6 fee per game shipping, which is high I think, but that's still only $11 per game. My store just charged $6 for the entire order over the summer. They came in envelopes with no cases or manuals, but the store was able to take the cases for rentals and give me those. The cases all have original artwork (the back might be the generic HWV rentail info though) but I can tell some of the plastic cases were originally outdated WWE or sports games because they have those hologram sticker things in the bottom corners that say as much.

But for $5, I will never complain. And Gamestop didn't say anything about missing manuals or the rental artwork when I traded some games in after beating them a few months later.

[quote name='io']Awesome, this is at my local store and probably won't be retagged before then so it is mine to snag.

Now, c'mon, Star Ocean - you need to be $29.99![/QUOTE]

Just a heads up, my local K-Mart has had brand new copies of Star Ocean on sale for $19.99 for months now. Just in case you can't find a copy at HWV.

[quote name='PJSkiboy']Just a heads up, my local K-Mart has had brand new copies of Star Ocean on sale for $19.99 for months now. Just in case you can't find a copy at HWV.[/QUOTE]

It should be $14.97.

I've been hesistant to ask this for fear that I missed a post/faq about it, but I just double checked and stil haven't seen it so I'm asking...

Are regular prices (non mvp) and/or TIVs the same at HWV and GC? Thanks to Scorch, Super Dawn or whoever can answer this.

[quote name='shoe478']It should be $14.97.[/QUOTE]

14.97? For the newest Star Ocean game on 360?

Good lord. Kmart is right near HWV, so I'll have to swing by.

Just as I suspected, more HWV and GC closures in my area. I had scouted out my home store yesterday for this deal and found about $100 worth of stuff I wanted to grab. Called this morning to see if they would do the deal and she tells me the store is officially closed as of today. I've got one standalone HWV left now, I guess it makes the focus for this deal pretty easy -- and it also probably means it's just a matter of time.

[quote name='bgame2']I've been hesistant to ask this for fear that I missed a post/faq about it, but I just double checked and stil haven't seen it so I'm asking...

Are regular prices (non mvp) and/or TIVs the same at HWV and GC? Thanks to Scorch, Super Dawn or whoever can answer this.[/QUOTE]

Yes, they are the same (at least from what I've noticed from the few trades I did with both GC and HWV).

[quote name='Scorch']Fallout 3 is definitely not eligible for the sale - It's $39.99 new, $34.99 used.. both XBox 360 and PS3.

Unless it dropped again either Monday or Tuesday.[/QUOTE]

Hey guys! I'm a shift leader at Hollywood video just had a price change last night on fallout 3 and mlb 09 the show to 29.99 so they will be part of the sale.

whoa sweet thanks for the info! do you happen to know the specific code HWV will scan for the deal? i'll likely need it to prove the deal is going on.

If someone could ( when we get the codes ) to post them. Also how they enter them manually without the barcodes. The associate that worked there had no clue the last time they ran the deal. I think it had something to do with + sign or something like that.

Just got off the phone with the remaining stand-alone HWV in my city and they have been converted to outlet and are not participating in the deal. I'm bummed, I went from having it all planned out earlier today to being shut out on the deal.

[quote name='Superdrew']Hey guys! I'm a shift leader at Hollywood video just had a price change last night on fallout 3 and mlb 09 the show to 29.99 so they will be part of the sale.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

Any relation to super_dawn? :)

Nooooooo!

Now I have to drive for 35 miles to go to the last standing HWV :( The CAG in me can't resist these deals :(

TY OP!

[quote name='salazarmark']Nooooooo!

Now I have to drive for 35 miles to go to the last standing HWV :( The CAG in me can't resist these deals :([/QUOTE]

I have an urge to go to a much further off HWV that's closer to the NY state line tomorrow in the early morning hours after hitting up the one local HWV that should allow me to score Fallout 3 and a couple other games. But the cheapass in me doesn't want to go to that other one without knowing if it: 1) still exists and 2) if they have anything worthwhile that qualifies for the sale.

Otherwise, I don't wanna come home empty handed from such a haul.

I had fun today at work checking on prices n' such. OP has been updated with the latest info. Some games were removed and some were added. Some games only qualify for one system. Happy hunting tomorrow! The great part is this sale will not end until the end of the period: 1/6/10! And at my store we had our first game pull since March..pulled 44 ps2 rental games to used. A good sign that many stores may have more product on the shelves.

[quote name='Superdrew']Hey guys! I'm a shift leader at Hollywood video just had a price change last night on fallout 3 and mlb 09 the show to 29.99 so they will be part of the sale.[/QUOTE]

I was also going to mention this. Thank you! :) Which store are you at and how long have you been? Would love to have you help with the thread whenever you can.

[quote name='denshaotoko']whoa sweet thanks for the info! do you happen to know the specific code HWV will scan for the deal? i'll likely need it to prove the deal is going on.[/QUOTE]

done. It's updated in the op.

[quote name='spamfree2']If someone could ( when we get the codes ) to post them. Also how they enter them manually without the barcodes. The associate that worked there had no clue the last time they ran the deal. I think it had something to do with + sign or something like that.[/QUOTE]

lol I think it might be a little weird to actually give this info if you go into a hwv but....okay....

To manually enter the barcode if they cannot scan it: hold shift and press + ...then enter the code, press enter.

Great work on the new thread Dawn! You may want to change Timesplitters for 360 and PS3 to TimeShift, as I don't think there is any such game (unless it's a Hollywood Video exclusive!).

Did Prototype for 360 just drop because last time I had it scanned it didn't qualify? Also does anyone know if Motorstorm: Pacific Rift dropped from $34.99 to qualify for this deal?

I'm excited for the sale again but I know that my local MG is depleted. May have to check again anyways.

[quote name='Tyga24']Great work on the new thread Dawn! You may want to change Timesplitters for 360 and PS3 to TimeShift, as I don't think there is any such game (unless it's a Hollywood Video exclusive!).

Did Prototype for 360 just drop because last time I had it scanned it didn't qualify? Also does anyone know if Motorstorm: Pacific Rift dropped from $34.99 to qualify for this deal?

I'm excited for the sale again but I know that my local MG is depleted. May have to check again anyways.[/QUOTE]

Haha...thanks for catchin' that. Hmm...I don't think I checked on Prototype...looking over my scribblings from today. But I do know Motor Storm Artic Edge was the only one besides the earlier motor storms that qualify.

[quote name='super_dawn']I had fun today at work checking on prices n' such. OP has been updated with the latest info. Some games were removed and some were added. Some games only qualify for one system. Happy hunting tomorrow! The great part is this sale will not end until the end of the period: 1/6/10! And at my store we had our first game pull since March..pulled 44 ps2 rental games to used. A good sign that many stores may have more product on the shelves.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully this is going to be a trend nationwide for the chain, where the stores that may not have pulled anything from the rental stock do so across the board(PS2/Wii/360/PS3/DS/PSP)and we get some good pulls that'll be available for the sale starting tomorrow.

I think I'm going to call the manager I usually bs with at the store I'm hitting tomorrow to see if they did any pulls, since if they pulled a few titles I've been looking for that'll be even more reason to hit up the store at opening tomorrow.:D

Stopped by the one i didn't hit up last time and the sale was active. Unfortunatly nothing but PS2, xbox and GC stuff. Asked if they were adding more stuff and she said no.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Do i need any sort of membership to hwv to get these btw?[/QUOTE]

Nope. No membership needed to purchase anything, however, you do need one to do trade-ins if there are any games you would like to trade in.

I just called a HWV and asked if they had a gamecrazy attached? They said yes.
I asked if they were going to do the $4.99 sale? He said that he would check then he came back and said yes, they are going to do the sale.

Is this possible? What is to stop someone from buying the $5 game at HWV and selling it to Gamecrazy next door?

[quote name='Readthepost']I just called a HWV and asked if they had a gamecrazy attached? They said yes.
I asked if they were going to do the $4.99 sale? He said that he would check then he came back and said yes, they are going to do the sale.

Is this possible? What is to stop someone from buying the $5 game at HWV and selling it to Gamecrazy next door?[/QUOTE]
The HWV may be doing the sale, but they won't have any games. That would keep you from doing that trade.

Nice, I will stop by my local store on the way home to check availability and when the store opens. Thanks again to super_dawn and thekrakrabbit for their hard work on both threads!

One question for Super_Dawn, at the end of the last sale the employees told me someone came in the day before the sale started and cleaned them out. I was in a hurry so I didn't get all the details, but would this deal be active in the system today if they scanned the barcode or would they have to override the system?

I'm guessing the employees could have been exaggerating, because why would they allow someone to take advantage of this deal before it started, but who knows. If they guy made a big enough stink maybe they just figured it was easier to ring it up and get him out of their hair.

I'm trying to figure out if I should try to preempt this guy by going in tonight and asking if they would honor the sale.

I hope someone doesn't do that at the store I plan on hitting up tomorrow(go in tonight and make a big stink to get them to do the sale early), as I don't wanna waste a trip tomorrow and I plan on being there at opening(11 am)to make a quick grab and then run to the other local HWV.

EDIT: Just called the HWV I'm gonna hit tomorrow and he said that even if the code works today the sale doesn't start till tomorrow n they've received a memo stating it as such.

[quote name='ackbar7']The HWV may be doing the sale, but they won't have any games. That would keep you from doing that trade.[/QUOTE]

Has anyone actually seen this happen?
Are the employees buying or setting them aside for themselve before the store opens? Or HWV (as a policy) just hiding the game until the sale ends?

Thanks for your inputs.

[quote name='Readthepost']Has anyone actually seen this happen?
Are the employees buying or setting them aside for themselve before the store opens? Or HWV (as a policy) just hiding the game until the sale ends?

Thanks for your inputs.[/QUOTE]
HWVs that have a GC attached don't carry games. I think that they transfer all of their rental pulls to the GC or something. While it would be in the standard HWV promotional stuff they do not have the product to pull it off. At least at every one of the stores I have been to that were like that.

[quote name='super_dawn']Haha...thanks for catchin' that. Hmm...I don't think I checked on Prototype...looking over my scribblings from today. But I do know Motor Storm Artic Edge was the only one besides the earlier motor storms that qualify.[/QUOTE]

Motorstorm: Arctic Edge is a PSP title so I have no idea if Pacific Rift will qualify but I guess I can find out tomorrow.

[quote name='Tyga24']Motorstorm: Arctic Edge is a PSP title so I have no idea if Pacific Rift will qualify but I guess I can find out tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

If you read Dawn's response earlier to the question about if the Motorstorm games qualify, you'll see she used an S at the end of the word Motorstorm, implying that more than one of the Motorstorm games does indeed qualify.

[quote name='super_dawn']Haha...thanks for catchin' that. Hmm...I don't think I checked on Prototype...looking over my scribblings from today. But I do know Motor Storm Artic Edge was the only one besides the earlier motor storms that qualify.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='converse']Just got off the phone with the remaining stand-alone HWV in my city and they have been converted to outlet and are not participating in the deal. I'm bummed, I went from having it all planned out earlier today to being shut out on the deal.[/QUOTE]

I called mine and they said they were an outlet store tonight. What's the difference and why can't an outlet store have sales?

I called another local one and they said they weren't doing the 4.99 sale but were having a 80% off sale.

[quote name='lethargic']I called mine and they said they were an outlet store tonight. What's the difference and why can't an outlet store have sales?

I called another local one and they said they weren't doing the 4.99 sale but were having a 80% off sale.[/QUOTE]

The 80% off sale probably means that that specific store is closing. :/
Still a good way to find games though!

Man, I thought ya'll said the shit started today. I drove 30 minutes out of my way for nothing. Either way, they only had last gen games with no boxes or manuals, so it's completely worthless.

do HWV stores sell games if they "had" a GC that recently closed down???

a recent GC closed down and the HWV is still there, so does that mean they sell games now????

[quote name='aleraiders']do HWV stores sell games if they "had" a GC that recently closed down???

a recent GC closed down and the HWV is still there, so does that mean they sell games now????[/QUOTE]

There is a HWV near me that had a GC close and they turned into a HWV 'outlet'. They took some of GC's leftover inventory and are running a sale at 80% off, they didn't participate in the last $4.99 sale.

Unfortunately, most of their 80% off inventory consisted of 500 copies of Lego Indy for the 360, 500 copies of Kung Fu Panda for the 360, and then a bunch of sports games from 2006 & 2007.

They did have newer inventory for rent, that you could also make an offer on to buy. I have no idea what they would have actually accepted pricewise on the newer stuff.

Apparently my local hollywood video is starting the deal at 11 am tomorrow. The guy on the phone kept repeating himself that there wouldn't be any good games.

Of the two Hollywoods near me, one is closing so probably won't be participating and the other had nothing worth getting during the Black Friday $4.99 sale. Not sure if I even want to make the long drive into the city to see if there's anything at the other 2 stores.

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']Nice, I will stop by my local store on the way home to check availability and when the store opens. Thanks again to super_dawn and thekrakrabbit for their hard work on both threads!

One question for Super_Dawn, at the end of the last sale the employees told me someone came in the day before the sale started and cleaned them out. I was in a hurry so I didn't get all the details, but would this deal be active in the system today if they scanned the barcode or would they have to override the system?

I'm guessing the employees could have been exaggerating, because why would they allow someone to take advantage of this deal before it started, but who knows. If they guy made a big enough stink maybe they just figured it was easier to ring it up and get him out of their hair.

I'm trying to figure out if I should try to preempt this guy by going in tonight and asking if they would honor the sale.[/QUOTE]

I also talked to a manager of a HWV about this same topic. He said GC managers come in and wipeout any of the inventory, they buy something like 50-60 games, and then sell them at Game Crazy. I've complained about this before, but the manager also mentioned grabbing a bunch of stuff off the shelf before the store opened for his own purchase. I think it's pretty bogus for the internal employees to cherry pick like that, but it's a sign of how the company is run and also a sign of where the company is going as a result.

I don't blame the employees for taking what they want before the store opens as long as they're not hoarding. I would do the same thing if I worked there.

[quote name='Killbomb']I don't blame the employees for taking what they want before the store opens as long as they're not hoarding. I would do the same thing if I worked there.[/QUOTE]

I don't blame them either, we all would do the same in the same position, but it still sucks that before the sale officially begins a large portion of the stock is gone before customers have an opportunity to make the purchases. If you went to a store for Black Friday to get one of the doorbusters, and you walk in as the first person and they say, "Oh, the employees bought all of them before we opened the doors." does that seem fair to customers? It's more management, and they are paying for it -- worse yet the employees are paying for it by store closures due to poor customer engagement.

[quote name='converse']I also talked to a manager of a HWV about this same topic. He said GC managers come in and wipeout any of the inventory, they buy something like 50-60 games, and then sell them at Game Crazy. I've complained about this before, but the manager also mentioned grabbing a bunch of stuff off the shelf before the store opened for his own purchase. I think it's pretty bogus for the internal employees to cherry pick like that, but it's a sign of how the company is run and also a sign of where the company is going as a result.[/QUOTE]

... I hope the managers are not stopping the store employees from doing the same. I mean, not that I like any of it, but if this is what's going to happen, I sure would prefer the guy behind the cash register benefiting rather than the managers -- they should be making enough already.

Otherwise, it's a bit like the big-wigs of giant MNCs giving themselves fat bonuses while the regular employee struggles with the bare minimum pay.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']Going out tomorrow, braving the storm to get some more cheap games :) Can't wait.[/QUOTE]

Man the things we cheapasses do. ;)

Does this sale include all HWV stores? The one near me contained a GC, but it shut down in October; the person at the store I spoke to claims the store isn't going to be having any sale tomorrow.

bread's done
Back