Official Hollywood Video Deals Thread II - All Stores CLOSING!

super_dawn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Thank you for stopping by the Official CAG Hollywood Video Deals Thread!

"Thank you to Thekrakrabbit for originally starting the HWV Deals Thread and for passing the torch onto me."

(updated 5/4/10)

RECENT NEWS: MG/HWV files for Chap. 11 Bankruptcy for the 2nd time! ALL STORES CLOSING!

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2010/05/03/movie-gallerys-closing-act/
http://www.globest.com/news/1653_1653/portland/184780-1.html
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/movie-gallery/movie-gallery-shutting-down-all-stores-19261
http://www.myce.com/news/hollywood-video-finally-closing-its-doors-29290/

Please search the store locator for stores in your area that will be closing! Thank you.
http://hollywoodvideo.com/storelocator.aspx

If you have a problem with anything related to Hollywood Video/Movie Gallery/Game Crazy,
call 1-8SpeakToUs (1-877-325-8687).

Most Asked Question...WHEN PRICES DROP?

All stores vary when prices will drop because it depends on how well the inventory is selling. If selling fairly well the store could possibly stay open longer, if not, the store may close down earlier preventing any further discounts from happening. From what I've noticed most price drops happen once a week (days vary) and then the last two weeks they drop much quicker...every 3 days or so. Hope this info helps!

CURRENT LIQUIDATION GAME SALE INFO

The first 800 HWV store closings have finished and all stores are beginning the process over again. You will need to check in with your area store periodically about current discounts because each store is different. Current Speculation is that all stores will be closed within 10 weeks...so by July.

I do not have a master list of prices unfortunately. Most stores have gone through and price stickered the older games. There is a possibility of the newer games being price stickered as well, but until then, you will have to inquire about the price with the employee. Most prices for the newer games in the computer range between $30-$50 and then take whatever their current discount is off that price.

ALL other Deals at HWV Closing stores:

These discounts below are taken from my store's last week of closing. Just to give anyone an idea as to how low your store may go.

80% off Used DVDs higher than $14.99
80% off Used Rental Blu-Ray (range from $2-$5!)
80% off all Used Games including transferred Game Vault games
80% off all New Games
80% off Novelties (Toys, posters, game guides, board games)
80% off New DVDs
80% off New Blu-Ray
80% off Candy, Snack, & Drinks
80% off Accessories
80% off Hardware

$1.99 each Used New Release Rentals
.99 cents Core Collection DVD rentals or 6 for $5
$1.98 Core Collection Blu-Ray rentals
$1.99 Used DVDs priced $14.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $12.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $9.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $5.99

Used Games listed Under $29.99 in computer (YMMV)

:360:
50 Cent Blood on the Sand
Ace Combat 6
Afro Samurai
Alone In the Dark
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed
Beautiful Katamari
Bigs 2
Bionic Commando
BioShock
Blitz the League II
Burnout Paradise
Cabela's Dangerous Hunts
Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
Clive Barker's Jericho
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Damnation
The Darkness
Dead Rising
Destroy All Humans Path of Furon
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Fable II
Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer
Fallout 3
Far Cry II
Fight Night Round 4
Ghostbusters
Gears of War 2
GTA 4
Guitar Hero 2
Guitar Hero World Tour
Halo 3
Halo Wars
HAWX
Infinite Undiscovery
The Last Remnant
L4D
Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga
Mirror's Edge
Mortal Kombat vs DC
Ninja Blade
Ninja Gaiden
Overlord
Phantasy Star Universe
Prince of Persia
Prototype
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Resident Evil 5
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel
Saints Row 2
Shaun White Snowboarding
Silent Hill Homecoming
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection
Street Fighter 4
Tenchu Z
Terminator Salvation
Tetris Evolution
Timeshift
Tomb Raider Underworld
Too Human
Velvet Assassin
Vesperia
Vikings
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise
Wanted
WWE Legends of Wrestlemania

:ps3:
Assassin's Creed
Bad Company
Bigs 2
Bionic Commando
BioShock
Blitz the League II
Burnout Paradise
Call of Juarez
Chronicles of Riddick
Civilization Revolution
Clive Barker's Jericho
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Dead Space
Destroy all Humans
Eternal Sonata
Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer
Fallout 3
Far Cry II
Fuel
Ghostbusters
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Grid
GTA 4
GT5 Prologue
Heavenly Sword
Hot Shots Golf out of bounds
Lord of the Rings Conquest
Metal Gear Solid 4
Midnight Club: LA
MLB 09 The Show
Mortal Kombat V DC
Need For Speed Carbon
Need For Speed Underground
Overlord
Pure
Ratchet & Clank Tools of the Future
Resident Evil 5
Resistance 2
Rock Band 2
Saints Row 2
Silent Hill Homecoming
Ski Doo Snowmobile Challenge
Sonic Unleashed
Soul Calibur 4
Star Wars: Force Unleashed
Street Fighter IV
Timeshift
Trivia Pursuit
Uncharted
Up
Virtua Tennis 3
Wanted
WWE Legends of Wrestlemania

:wii:

Alone In the Dark

Big Brain Academy
Big League Sports
Bigs 2
Boom Blox I & II
Carnival Games
Conduit
Deadly Creatures
Dead Rising Chop
De Blob
Donkey Kong Barrel
Elebits
Family Feud
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
Food Network
Ghostbusters
Ghost Squad
Guitar Hero World Tour
Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility
Indiana Jones (priced $12.99)
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime 3
Mario & Sonic Olympic Games
Mario Strikers Charged
Mario Power Tennis
Metal Slug Anthology
Mini Ninjas
Monkey King (Already $4.99)
My Sims Kingdom
Need For Speed: Proshift
Overlord
Press Your Luck
Price is Right I & II
Punch Out
Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
Sonic Black Knight
Soul Calibur Legends
Spongebob Truth or Square
Star Wars Light Saber Duels
Stars Wars The Clone Wars
Stars Wars The Complete Saga
Super Paper Mario
Tales of Symphonia
Up
WarHawk
Wario Land Shake It
WarioWare Smooth Moves
Wii Music
Zack & Wiki ($9.99)

:ds:
Advance Wars Days of Ruin
Animal Crossing Wild World
Call of Duty
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrrow
Digimon Wold Dawn
GTA China Town Wars
Harvest Moon
Kingdom Hearts 385/2 Days
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Lego Batman
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass
Mario Kart
New Super Mario Bros
Nintendogs Dalmation, Lab, etc
Phoenix Wright
Pokemon Diamond
Pokemon Pearl
Pokemon Platinum
Professsor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Scribblenauts
Rhythm Heaven
Yoshi's Island

:psp:

Class of Heroes
Dissidia-Final Fantasy
FiFa Soccer '10
God of War
Motor Storm Arctic Edge
Patapon
Resistance
Sims 2
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Star Wars Force Unleashed

Hollywood Video Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a Hollywood Video Rental account in order to take advantage of any trades
- You must sign up for a new Hollywood Video account at every store you wish to trade at (Each store is separate)
- Employees cannot access your trading/purchase history from store to store
- You may get a price quote print out before you decide to trade-in any games
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your Hollywood Video account or onto a giftcard (Only in $5 increments)
- Trade-in credit can only be used on the account it is placed unless you take the giftcard option in which you may use it at any Hollywood Video/Game Crazy/Movie Gallery location

Any Forum Trades; please visit http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230651

Special Ordering Used or New Video Games

Beginning December 14th, ALL Hollywood Video stores will have the ability to place New & Used GAME Special Orders. Customers who cannot find games or accessories can place a Special Order and have it shipped from any Game Crazy/Game Zone store to their Hollywood Video for pick-up.

* Shipping Fee is $6.00 (Possibly per game if being shipped from different locations)
* Most Special Orders arrive within 7 days of ordering
* Outlet Stores do not participate in Special Orders, so YMMV on all stores.

Special Orders include:

Strategy Guides
New & Used Controllers
New & Used Games
New & Used cables, cords, and accessories
Toys & Figures

There is a list of product either on a waiting list or permanently out of stock; I may include this at a later point when I have more time. It's quite long.

Important notes (please read these before posting questions):

1) 99% of these deals will NOT work in a Game Crazy. They have their own deals; please refer to http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234882 These deals will also more than likely NOT work at a Hollywood Video with a Game Crazy attached! However, Movie Gallery may or may not have some of these same Game deals! "Movie Gallery bought Hollywood Video", hence the reason for some of the same sales at either HWV or MG.

2) Hollywood Video employees will need to scan a coupon code in order for any game to be discounted.

3) Hollywood Video's store hours vary from location to location, especially with all the store closings. Please call.

4) If you would like to contribute to any game deals, please when posting, include game, system, price, city and state.
For example:
Dragon Quest VIII, PS2, $4.99
Tampa, FL (Temple Terrace)

5) Hollywood Video's are mostly movie rental stores (games are not as important to them to keep up on), thus, always double check on sticker prices because 50% of the time they are probably stickered wrong. ;)

6) Do not trust the store locator at HollywoodVideo.com Google it and call first. That store might already be closed!

7) Hollywood Video does not do cash back if a game is damaged or you "already own it". Used games have a 90 day guarantee. You have a few options: swap for same title, swap for a different title if they do not have it, or using the disc buffer machine to try and fix the game. Hollywood Video also does disc buffing for personal items at a $1 per disc.

8) ALL sales are FINAL during the closing sale. Usually within the first few weeks of the sale if you do purchase something that does not work they MAY swap it for you. YMMV!!!

Previous HWV Thread

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235408

***I appreciate any and all comments/suggestions/adds to the OP! Either post here or even PM me if you'd like.
Thank you and I hope everyone finds some excellent deals!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But see, just like every other sale/clearance, these are YMMV(your mileage may vary), meaning that you may or you may not find something worthwhile. You'll come up empty many times, it happens.

The main part of being a CAG is hunting for a deal, not getting the deal on EVERY run. If you're not willing to at least come up empty handed on 1-3 out of every 5 runs, then you should stick to being a normal consumer since the most diehard CAG's know that the thrill of finding a deal makes most of the legwork involved worth it.[/QUOTE]

I'm right there with you. I was devastated to miss the MvC2 sale on Xbox LIVE over Christmas weekend or whenever it was. I was visiting family and missed a 1200-point game I wanted for 560. Ugh. Still eating me up. But that kind of thing makes the hits all the sweeter.

[quote name='Samurai_X-51']Can someone explicitly confirm that this works at both Hollywood Video and Movie Gallery? If so, I can't believe I somehow missed this thread all this time...There are three MGs within a few minutes from my house and there is a HV and more MGs within 20 minutes.

Also, any game listed here will ring up for $4.99 with this coupon code with few fluke exceptions to the rule?[/QUOTE]

Yes, MG is doing it too, my closest one i called and they only had one 360 game left, there are no exceptions to the pricing scheme, as long as your store is participating, the signage dont list exceptions, every used game that rings up at 24.99 or less.

p.s. im playing TNA, this game sucks balls.

[quote name='Samurai_X-51']Can someone explicitly confirm that this works at both Hollywood Video and Movie Gallery? If so, I can't believe I somehow missed this thread all this time...There are three MGs within a few minutes from my house and there is a HV and more MGs within 20 minutes.

Also, any game listed here will ring up for $4.99 with this coupon code with few fluke exceptions to the rule?[/QUOTE]

Any Movie Gallery/Hollywood Video with a Gamezone(not Gamecrazy)in it should be running the sale. A Gamezone store will have a display case in it with new games behind the glass for sale and may have the PS3/360/Wii kiosks like you'd see in a Gamestop store.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Any Movie Gallery/Hollywood Video with a Gamezone(not Gamecrazy)in it should be running the sale. A Gamezone store will have a display case in it with new games behind the glass for sale and may have the PS3/360/Wii kiosks like you'd see in a Gamestop store.[/QUOTE]

the lady at Movie Gallery told me that they did not have a gamezone, wich is why they had such a poor selection, but they were still doing the sale.

That's weird. I visited a MG without a GZ and the employee there pointed me towards another MG store up the road from there where they 'may be doing the sale'.

Unfortunately, neither had anything besides a few original Xbox and Gamecube titles out. The only thing that still annoys the shit out of me is that both of my local HWV stores have a shitton of copies of a ton of the games that qualify in the rental section and they haven't done any conversions in a loooooooong time.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's weird. I visited a MG without a GZ and the employee there pointed me towards another MG store up the road from there where they 'may be doing the sale'.

Unfortunately, neither had anything besides a few original Xbox and Gamecube titles out. The only thing that still annoys the shit out of me is that both of my local HWV stores have a shitton of copies of a ton of the games that qualify in the rental section and they haven't done any conversions in a loooooooong time.[/QUOTE]

I also asked about conversions, and the staff said they seem to come down at random. everything i wanted on the list was well represented in teh rental section, even afro samurai

Thanks, guys. I'm hoping there aren't too many CAG'ers in Maine, but I'll probably be met with a poor selection as well. Wish me luck. If I find anything notable, I'll most likely return to report it here.

Went in to one and they were adamant about it being over as of today. All signage was removed. I asked if they could check their marketing guide, and they said I would be wrong and left it at that.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Gbear09']Went in to one and they were adamant about it being over as of today. All signage was removed. I asked if they could check their marketing guide, and they said I would be wrong and left it at that.[/QUOTE]

That is funny and sad all at the same time. Is anyone else getting the deal is over thing?

[quote name='DiRT_X']I also asked about conversions, and the staff said they seem to come down at random. everything i wanted on the list was well represented in teh rental section, even afro samurai[/QUOTE]

So then you're like me and waiting for Afro Samurai to drop to $10 or below. I had a copy from the B1G1 50% sale from TRU late last month and I just couldn't get myself to keep it for $15 since I know it's $10 used at Blockbuster and I could find it at HWV for $5 if they'd only pull some fuckin' games.

I mean, it doesn't look like they've rented out anything besides the more recent releases(COD:MW2, AC2)anytime recently, but I guess they have to wait for corporate to tell them to do so.

At that rate my local two stores should be padlocked for non payment of rent before they ever pull anything.:roll:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']So then you're like me and waiting for Afro Samurai to drop to $10 or below. I had a copy from the B1G1 50% sale from TRU late last month and I just couldn't get myself to keep it for $15 since I know it's $10 used at Blockbuster and I could find it at HWV for $5 if they'd only pull some fuckin' games.

I mean, it doesn't look like they've rented out anything besides the more recent releases(COD:MW2, AC2)anytime recently, but I guess they have to wait for corporate to tell them to do so.

At that rate my local two stores should be padlocked for non payment of rent before they ever pull anything.:roll:[/QUOTE]

lol

I went to my store today and they are doing the deal but I over heard the workers talking about taking pictures of each other to remember each other by. I think all HWV are about to die soon.

Went to the Norman, OK store today, and they were completely out. I really wanted to flip some games at Gamestop, but alas.

[quote name='gamewizardx']That is funny and sad all at the same time. Is anyone else getting the deal is over thing?[/QUOTE]

I called around to a few HWV yesterday to ask if they were running the sale or find out if they had a GC attached. Wasn't gonna waste a bunch of time driving, talking about more than an hour to hit up a few. The only one I actually went to did tell me that today would be the last day. Didn't find anything. Apparently a flipper has cleaned it out, because I saw at least 5 copies of XBlades for the 360.

[quote name='gamewizardx']lol

I went to my store today and they are doing the deal but I over heard the workers talking about taking pictures of each other to remember each other by. I think all HWV are about to die soon.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, I get that same vibe when I go into the two around here, since they are never very busy and I think they cut down the number of people working per shift to one now.

I also see Blockbuster joining them in short order too, since they're struggling to stay afloat as well. Shame really, since then I won't have anywhere to get games to flip to GS or other stores unless Best Buy fucks up again with another coupon or sale glitch.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I just couldn't get myself to keep it for $15 since I know it's $10 used at Blockbuster and I could find it at HWV for $5 if they'd only pull some fuckin' games.

At that rate my local two stores should be padlocked for non payment of rent before they ever pull anything.:roll:[/QUOTE]
I don't know, those 5 copies of Madden 09 that most stores seem to be holding on to I bet are really popular. FEAR 2 seems to be another game lots of stores around here have many copies for rent but not many takers. I am surprised more managers aren't looking to sell off this crap to make some money from it.

hey, super_dawn, i work at a mg and i was wondering if you could help me understand how to order used games through our system...i looked through the last couple of mags and the downloads section of the hotbook, but didn't really find anything. i also asked a fellow employee (who has been working there for a long time) but he didn't seem to know anything about it.

first of all....omg closing stores...I might not be able to provide wonderful info much longer if my store closes! oh god... :whistle2:#

[quote name='Gbear09']Went in to one and they were adamant about it being over as of today. All signage was removed. I asked if they could check their marketing guide, and they said I would be wrong and left it at that.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ARATHERLARGEMAN']South florida they say the sale was over on the 6th.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='J7.']Those saying it's over are probably going off older info and haven't seen the update yet?[/QUOTE]

Replying to above quotes...umm..hmm..maybe some stores are still on the ending date of the 6th...or even later (as iamthecheapestgamer reported as ending the 17th). OR...yea, maybe they really don't care to look in the market guide cause there too worried about their store closing!

[quote name='zao366']hey, super_dawn, i work at a mg and i was wondering if you could help me understand how to order used games through our system...i looked through the last couple of mags and the downloads section of the hotbook, but didn't really find anything. i also asked a fellow employee (who has been working there for a long time) but he didn't seem to know anything about it.[/QUOTE]

very cool...however I don't think our computers are the same...since mg was its own seperate company at one pt before it bought hwv and our computers have never changed as to how we ring stuff up, etc...

...oh plus the top of our Hotmail even says "Now Available in all Hollywood Video Stores"... eh, doesn't say MG. Buuut...here's how to do it anyway,

Bring up the customer's acct. Select [Alt + F8] for preorders. Then you'll game search [F1]...find game, press enter...then select cash or credit for the shipping fee. If you can get that far let me know and I'll give you all the extra details...although its pretty simple after that point. ;)

[quote name='super_dawn']
very cool...however I don't think our computers are the same...since mg was its own seperate company at one pt before it bought hwv and our computers have never changed as to how we ring stuff up, etc...

...oh plus the top of our Hotmail even says "Now Available in all Hollywood Video Stores"... eh, doesn't say MG. Buuut...here's how to do it anyway,

Bring up the customer's acct. Select [Alt + F8] for preorders. Then you'll game search [F1]...find game, press enter...then select cash or credit for the shipping fee. If you can get that far let me know and I'll give you all the extra details...although its pretty simple after that point. ;)[/QUOTE]

yeah, i've heard that the hwv system isn't as....dated...as the mg ones! lol!

but thanks for that info, i'm excited to try it out!

[quote name='Samurai_X-51']Thanks, guys. I'm hoping there aren't too many CAG'ers in Maine, but I'll probably be met with a poor selection as well. Wish me luck. If I find anything notable, I'll most likely return to report it here.[/QUOTE]

I'm in Maine. Whereabouts?

[quote name='ackbar7']I don't know, those 5 copies of Madden 09 that most stores seem to be holding on to I bet are really popular. FEAR 2 seems to be another game lots of stores around here have many copies for rent but not many takers. I am surprised more managers aren't looking to sell off this crap to make some money from it.[/QUOTE]

Thing is, if each individual store had to buy their own copies of those games to rent out in the first place, you gotta wonder if they even made their money back on them. If not, then I see why they're holding off on converting them over.

With Gamefly being as big as it is, I gotta wonder how Blockbuster or HWV even make money on game rentals anymore. I mean, X amount for Y number of games out at a time, versus the $8-9 for newer titles from Blockbuster or even the $1.99 a pop for older releases per night.

[quote name='KingGondo']Went to the Norman, OK store today, and they were completely out. I really wanted to flip some games at Gamestop, but alas.[/QUOTE]

yeah I checked this one on Tuesday, nothing but older games (Xbox/PS2/GCN).

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
With Gamefly being as big as it is, I gotta wonder how Blockbuster or HWV even make money on game rentals anymore. I mean, X amount for Y number of games out at a time, versus the $8-9 for newer titles from Blockbuster or even the $1.99 a pop for older releases per night.[/QUOTE]

But see, to me Gamefly is WAY too expensive for something I only do occasionally. And I also really dislike monthly recurring fee type services. Then again, when I do rent from BBV or HWV it is almost always a free rental (either MCR for BBV or the system coupons from Gamecrazy for HWV). But right now MCR isn't giving BBV rewards and I'm nearly out of GC rental coupons. So then I guess I'll just go bck to not renting ;). I buy enough cheap stuff anyway that renting seems useless (though I like to use free rentals on newer kids games and stuff like Lego Rock Band).

super_dawn - is the extension something that should be obvious to all stores? I have yet to go back since the old deadline passed, but I just have a feeling I'll see no signs up and have to argue with the cashiers should I find anything decent (which is unlikely anyway). I'm wondering if there's a chance it was just regional though. I live in the same area as GBear09 so that's why I'm wondering. I'll definitely check out my local store just to see if they extended it or not, though, even though they have crap left at this point.

I haven't rented since the PS2/Xbox gen, IO. Ever since I joined CAG I know that I'll probably be able to find the game(s) I want cheaper on sale/clearance someplace if I just have the patience to wait for them.

Even with a hair over $200 in GS credit right now, I can't bring myself to splurge on games that I've wanted since they were first announced even though the credit I have there is from super cheap games I just can't and won't pay MSRP.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Even with a hair over $200 in GS credit right now, I can't bring myself to splurge on games that I've wanted since they were first announced even though the credit I have there is from super cheap games I just can't and won't pay MSRP.[/QUOTE]

Maybe because that's the smart approach. Just because you've gathered up a ton of credit, that doesn't mean you should just buy things for a price you would absolutely never pay otherwise. I find it odd when people actually calculate their total cost by subtracting their used credit. It's a calculation that makes little sense. Your credit was earned by giving up something else... and that credit could be spent on something else. It still has intrinsic value.

Credit'll last longer if you use it wisely, and it's dumb to squander it (regardless of the countless flipping opportunities that will present themselves in the future).

[quote name='GuardianE']Maybe because that's the smart approach. Just because you've gathered up a ton of credit, that doesn't mean you should just buy things for a price you would absolutely never pay otherwise. I find it odd when people actually calculate their total cost by subtracting their used credit. It's a calculation that makes little sense. Your credit was earned by giving up something else... and that credit could be spent on something else. It still has intrinsic value.

Credit'll last longer if you use it wisely, and it's dumb to squander it (regardless of the countless flipping opportunities that will present themselves in the future).[/QUOTE]

I just left GS, pinched $4.80 off my credit to get Sega Superstars Tennis/XBL Arcade 2pack. Didnt even bat an eye at the new releases.

:wii:
Hannah Montana Movie x2
Price is right
Warioware x2
Sonic and Black Knight

Transformers x5
Beautiful Katmari
Tales of Versperia
The bigs

This was somewhere in south miami

[quote name='GuardianE']Credit'll last longer if you use it wisely, and it's dumb to squander it (regardless of the countless flipping opportunities that will present themselves in the future).[/QUOTE]

My God, I hope so... I want a PSP from the next good flipping opportunity I find...

My wife is playing RE4 on her new PS2 right now and I love having a brand new PS3 sitting upstairs, even though it'll primarily be used as a BR DVD player... And I think I have ~$115 left on my card now...

[quote name='david12795']:wii:
Hannah Montana Movie x2
Price is right
Warioware x2
Sonic and Black Knight

Transformers x5
Beautiful Katmari
Tales of Versperia
The bigs

This was somewhere in south miami[/QUOTE]

I was wondering if anyone was still finding stuff... I would've gotten my chance to go to the stores north of me today, but my son was sick and I postponed my calls until Monday - which knocks me out of the GS $20 trade in... Dammit. Oh well. He's feeling better and I will still make a couple of stops on Monday.

I'm about to post a friggen 360 game gold mine, in Northern Illinois. I ask that you do NOT go there and buy up all the games, and instead leave some for others. I could have gone nuts and bought 40 games and I did not. Also, if you want to send me a couple games as a thanks .. yeah, totally do that, please, because this IS a gold mine. The manager told me she doesn't know when the sale will end, she was surprised it didn't end when their movie sale did:

Woodstock Illinois Hollywood Video

What do they have?
6 copies of Ghostbusters
4 Hawx
1 Dead Space, Mass Effect, Prince of Persia
4 50 cent: blood in the sand
7 Velvet Assassin
3 The Bigs 2
2 Bioshock
2 Silent Hill: Homecoming

And these are just the games I can remember and that I thought were worth a trip. I drove 1 hour on a whim (and my HWV game addiction) and found this amazing collection. There's not much left for the ps3, maybe a bioshock and a Elder Scrolls (non game of the year). Nothing much for the Wii, Batman and Hulk were there.

There ya go ... and dont forget, NO hoarding .. and oh yeah, send me some games as thanks? Hooray!

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Unfortunately, I get that same vibe when I go into the two around here, since they are never very busy and I think they cut down the number of people working per shift to one now.

I also see Blockbuster joining them in short order too, since they're struggling to stay afloat as well. Shame really, since then I won't have anywhere to get games to flip to GS or other stores unless Best Buy fucks up again with another coupon or sale glitch.[/QUOTE]

Well not that they weren't already in a downword spiral but it certainly doesn't help either business when people go around flipping multiple copies of a game a store will probably never sell and exploiting their system. I really don't see how anyone can mourn the loss of these companies on this site when it seems like you all have a hand in their death, albeit a small one. But a small hand is still a hand nontheless.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']Well not that they weren't already in a downword spiral but it certainly doesn't help either business when people go around flipping multiple copies of a game a store will probably never sell and exploiting their system. I really don't see how anyone can mourn the loss of these companies on this site when it seems like you all have a hand in their death, albeit a small one. But a small hand is still a hand nontheless.[/QUOTE]

But just like CIrcuit City the main reason they're both failing is due to gross mismanagement, while our flipping of some games may have had a miniscule hand in their demise.

Actually, the Blockbuster that's 1-2 days from closing by me got rid of the 4-5 copies of Dynasty Warriors Gundam for PS3 and 360 that I flipped there back when CC still had them for $12-15 or so and the HWV where I unloaded 2 of FF already sold them both just after Christmas for $34.99 a copy. So they got their money back on those games just like Blockbuster made theirs back.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']Well not that they weren't already in a downword spiral but it certainly doesn't help either business when people go around flipping multiple copies of a game a store will probably never sell and exploiting their system. I really don't see how anyone can mourn the loss of these companies on this site when it seems like you all have a hand in their death, albeit a small one. But a small hand is still a hand nontheless.[/QUOTE]

In defense of the flippers. If these two companies were run with any bit of intelligence, exploits in the system would be quickly discovered and stopped. The fact that quite a few people can do this over and over again shows that they are run poorly.

I think one of the (many) reasons for the hate of Gamestop on this site is that ripping them off with flipping is difficult. Gamestop may treat it's employees poorly and it's customers like sheep, but it sure is profitable.

flipping is not exploiting. if companies dont want it to happen they need to be a little smarter. hiring one cag could shut down the practice pretty decently and save them tons of money.

[quote name='denshaotoko']flipping is not exploiting. if companies dont want it to happen they need to be a little smarter. hiring one cag could shut down the practice pretty decently and save them tons of money.[/QUOTE]

If they paid me enough to give them info on what might be flippable, I might consider working at the devil known as Gamestop to keep their bottom line safe. Of course, I'd probably leave a few loopholes that I could have a friend come in and exploit, but that's just cuz I'd like the best of both worlds.

[quote name='DiRT_X']I just left GS, pinched $4.80 off my credit to get Sega Superstars Tennis/XBL Arcade 2pack. Didnt even bat an eye at the new releases.[/QUOTE]

Wow, is it that cheap now? I picked that up when it was $15 or so (and traded SST to Blockbuster or something ;)). I thought it was a good deal then. Maybe I'll pick it up again for SST even though I have 2 or 3 of the arcade discs now.

Anyway, the good news was that my local HWV did still have the signs up. The bad news is that they have complete crap. They do have two copies of Two Worlds and Saints Row. Just about everything else is older disc-only sports stuff. But considering that I didn't bother buying Two Worlds when they had it for $5 new, I wasn't about to buy a used one for $5.

I may try one more store tomorrow then that's probably about it.

I am enjoying the Transformers game I got at another store a few days back. I've complete the Autobots campaign and all the achievements except for getting platinum medals on all missions (which would be a frustrating waste of time IMO) and will try to complete the Decepticon missions tonight and tomorrow and hopefully trade the game to GS on Sunday during the last day of the $20 deal. It's like a reverse rental. I paid $5, got to keep it for 5 days, but then should get $20 back when I "return" it ;).

I myself don't have a problem flipping to make the money and how it effects the companies bottom line. The problem I see tho is taking away cheap games from someone that would enjoy playing it. I got my pre ordered Ps2 on launch day and it was broken. I took it back and was told they would have to refund my money since they only had enough to cover the rest of the pre orders. Then I watch a guy come in with 3 shopping bags of Ps2's to pick up 3 more units he had on pre order. So the store gave all 3 to him and just gave me my money. I asked they guy if I could buy one of his six and he said he is saving them to sell on E Bay only. I think from that moment I gained hate to flippers.

As I said, I know the main reason of these companies demise I'm just pointing out that it's not exactly like anyone was helping. I also think it's a little funny that you refer to gamestop as "devil" considering you partake in your own shady activities.

I actually had discussions to do what I called "loss prevention" for one of the major companies that do trades. I don't know if they decided to go with another model or what, but the person I spoke to (someone higher up in the company in corporate) was very interested after the discussion. I thought I had a gig all ready, but they never returned my calls after a follow-up saying that I would need access to their trade-in values to identify what needed corrections. I see the exploits in their system all of the time, and I continue to take advantage of them. When I get a couple of hundred dollars from them at a time I think to myself, "Now I bet you wish you had someone to do this loss prevention job". They could probably care less, but it's another example about how poorly run companies continue to be poorly run and can't save themselves when a good opportunity arises.

Just got back from the Wellington, FL store. They had a ton of games, some pretty good titles. I picked up Lost: Via Domus (for the wife), Watchmen: The End is Nigh, and Velvet Assassin. Not the best titles, but games I wanted to try, and couldn't beat $5!!

[quote name='mightymek']Just got back from the Wellington, FL store. They had a ton of games, some pretty good titles. I picked up Lost: Via Domus (for the wife), Watchmen: The End is Nigh, and Velvet Assassin. Not the best titles, but games I wanted to try, and couldn't beat $5!![/QUOTE]

I went there too!

I got warioware from them there. ::D

Been looking for that game for a while.

[quote name='david12795']:wii:
Hannah Montana Movie x2
Price is right
Warioware x2
Sonic and Black Knight

Transformers x5
Beautiful Katmari
Tales of Versperia
The bigs

This was somewhere in south miami[/QUOTE]

you talking about the one in Doral?

anything decent left there?

anything at the Hollywood location?

[quote name='zao366']yeah, i've heard that the hwv system isn't as....dated...as the mg ones! lol!

but thanks for that info, i'm excited to try it out![/QUOTE]

haha...isn't as dated?! cool...let me know if it works.

[quote name='io']
super_dawn - is the extension something that should be obvious to all stores? I have yet to go back since the old deadline passed, but I just have a feeling I'll see no signs up and have to argue with the cashiers should I find anything decent (which is unlikely anyway). I'm wondering if there's a chance it was just regional though. I live in the same area as GBear09 so that's why I'm wondering. I'll definitely check out my local store just to see if they extended it or not, though, even though they have crap left at this point.[/QUOTE]

...not obvious...its in fine print in the back few pages of the market guide, however, since most employees don't really pay attention anyway the signs will probably still be up even after the sale officially is over. Happened at my store when I opened the next day from the last $5 sale...*sigh* ...I don't if its regional, most times its pretty widespread that I have noticed.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']As I said, I know the main reason of these companies demise I'm just pointing out that it's not exactly like anyone was helping. I also think it's a little funny that you refer to gamestop as "devil" considering you partake in your own shady activities.[/QUOTE]

LOL Shady. OK. I'm just gonna let you think what you will, since I'm not going back into any of this again.

[quote name='hellboy74']you talking about the one in Doral?

anything decent left there?

anything at the Hollywood location?[/QUOTE]

Hollywood swears the deal is over. There is a kid working there that had wiped out all the games on the $20 list at gamestop. And as of tuesday night they had not restocked. Then I called after seeing this thread say 1/13 and they told me no more ended on the 6th.

bread's done
Back