Official Hollywood Video Deals Thread II - All Stores CLOSING!

super_dawn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Thank you for stopping by the Official CAG Hollywood Video Deals Thread!

"Thank you to Thekrakrabbit for originally starting the HWV Deals Thread and for passing the torch onto me."

(updated 5/4/10)

RECENT NEWS: MG/HWV files for Chap. 11 Bankruptcy for the 2nd time! ALL STORES CLOSING!

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2010/05/03/movie-gallerys-closing-act/
http://www.globest.com/news/1653_1653/portland/184780-1.html
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/movie-gallery/movie-gallery-shutting-down-all-stores-19261
http://www.myce.com/news/hollywood-video-finally-closing-its-doors-29290/

Please search the store locator for stores in your area that will be closing! Thank you.
http://hollywoodvideo.com/storelocator.aspx

If you have a problem with anything related to Hollywood Video/Movie Gallery/Game Crazy,
call 1-8SpeakToUs (1-877-325-8687).

Most Asked Question...WHEN PRICES DROP?

All stores vary when prices will drop because it depends on how well the inventory is selling. If selling fairly well the store could possibly stay open longer, if not, the store may close down earlier preventing any further discounts from happening. From what I've noticed most price drops happen once a week (days vary) and then the last two weeks they drop much quicker...every 3 days or so. Hope this info helps!

CURRENT LIQUIDATION GAME SALE INFO

The first 800 HWV store closings have finished and all stores are beginning the process over again. You will need to check in with your area store periodically about current discounts because each store is different. Current Speculation is that all stores will be closed within 10 weeks...so by July.

I do not have a master list of prices unfortunately. Most stores have gone through and price stickered the older games. There is a possibility of the newer games being price stickered as well, but until then, you will have to inquire about the price with the employee. Most prices for the newer games in the computer range between $30-$50 and then take whatever their current discount is off that price.

ALL other Deals at HWV Closing stores:

These discounts below are taken from my store's last week of closing. Just to give anyone an idea as to how low your store may go.

80% off Used DVDs higher than $14.99
80% off Used Rental Blu-Ray (range from $2-$5!)
80% off all Used Games including transferred Game Vault games
80% off all New Games
80% off Novelties (Toys, posters, game guides, board games)
80% off New DVDs
80% off New Blu-Ray
80% off Candy, Snack, & Drinks
80% off Accessories
80% off Hardware

$1.99 each Used New Release Rentals
.99 cents Core Collection DVD rentals or 6 for $5
$1.98 Core Collection Blu-Ray rentals
$1.99 Used DVDs priced $14.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $12.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $9.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $5.99

Used Games listed Under $29.99 in computer (YMMV)

:360:
50 Cent Blood on the Sand
Ace Combat 6
Afro Samurai
Alone In the Dark
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed
Beautiful Katamari
Bigs 2
Bionic Commando
BioShock
Blitz the League II
Burnout Paradise
Cabela's Dangerous Hunts
Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
Clive Barker's Jericho
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Damnation
The Darkness
Dead Rising
Destroy All Humans Path of Furon
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Fable II
Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer
Fallout 3
Far Cry II
Fight Night Round 4
Ghostbusters
Gears of War 2
GTA 4
Guitar Hero 2
Guitar Hero World Tour
Halo 3
Halo Wars
HAWX
Infinite Undiscovery
The Last Remnant
L4D
Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga
Mirror's Edge
Mortal Kombat vs DC
Ninja Blade
Ninja Gaiden
Overlord
Phantasy Star Universe
Prince of Persia
Prototype
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Resident Evil 5
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel
Saints Row 2
Shaun White Snowboarding
Silent Hill Homecoming
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection
Street Fighter 4
Tenchu Z
Terminator Salvation
Tetris Evolution
Timeshift
Tomb Raider Underworld
Too Human
Velvet Assassin
Vesperia
Vikings
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise
Wanted
WWE Legends of Wrestlemania

:ps3:
Assassin's Creed
Bad Company
Bigs 2
Bionic Commando
BioShock
Blitz the League II
Burnout Paradise
Call of Juarez
Chronicles of Riddick
Civilization Revolution
Clive Barker's Jericho
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Dead Space
Destroy all Humans
Eternal Sonata
Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer
Fallout 3
Far Cry II
Fuel
Ghostbusters
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Grid
GTA 4
GT5 Prologue
Heavenly Sword
Hot Shots Golf out of bounds
Lord of the Rings Conquest
Metal Gear Solid 4
Midnight Club: LA
MLB 09 The Show
Mortal Kombat V DC
Need For Speed Carbon
Need For Speed Underground
Overlord
Pure
Ratchet & Clank Tools of the Future
Resident Evil 5
Resistance 2
Rock Band 2
Saints Row 2
Silent Hill Homecoming
Ski Doo Snowmobile Challenge
Sonic Unleashed
Soul Calibur 4
Star Wars: Force Unleashed
Street Fighter IV
Timeshift
Trivia Pursuit
Uncharted
Up
Virtua Tennis 3
Wanted
WWE Legends of Wrestlemania

:wii:

Alone In the Dark

Big Brain Academy
Big League Sports
Bigs 2
Boom Blox I & II
Carnival Games
Conduit
Deadly Creatures
Dead Rising Chop
De Blob
Donkey Kong Barrel
Elebits
Family Feud
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
Food Network
Ghostbusters
Ghost Squad
Guitar Hero World Tour
Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility
Indiana Jones (priced $12.99)
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime 3
Mario & Sonic Olympic Games
Mario Strikers Charged
Mario Power Tennis
Metal Slug Anthology
Mini Ninjas
Monkey King (Already $4.99)
My Sims Kingdom
Need For Speed: Proshift
Overlord
Press Your Luck
Price is Right I & II
Punch Out
Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
Sonic Black Knight
Soul Calibur Legends
Spongebob Truth or Square
Star Wars Light Saber Duels
Stars Wars The Clone Wars
Stars Wars The Complete Saga
Super Paper Mario
Tales of Symphonia
Up
WarHawk
Wario Land Shake It
WarioWare Smooth Moves
Wii Music
Zack & Wiki ($9.99)

:ds:
Advance Wars Days of Ruin
Animal Crossing Wild World
Call of Duty
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrrow
Digimon Wold Dawn
GTA China Town Wars
Harvest Moon
Kingdom Hearts 385/2 Days
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Lego Batman
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass
Mario Kart
New Super Mario Bros
Nintendogs Dalmation, Lab, etc
Phoenix Wright
Pokemon Diamond
Pokemon Pearl
Pokemon Platinum
Professsor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Scribblenauts
Rhythm Heaven
Yoshi's Island

:psp:

Class of Heroes
Dissidia-Final Fantasy
FiFa Soccer '10
God of War
Motor Storm Arctic Edge
Patapon
Resistance
Sims 2
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Star Wars Force Unleashed

Hollywood Video Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a Hollywood Video Rental account in order to take advantage of any trades
- You must sign up for a new Hollywood Video account at every store you wish to trade at (Each store is separate)
- Employees cannot access your trading/purchase history from store to store
- You may get a price quote print out before you decide to trade-in any games
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your Hollywood Video account or onto a giftcard (Only in $5 increments)
- Trade-in credit can only be used on the account it is placed unless you take the giftcard option in which you may use it at any Hollywood Video/Game Crazy/Movie Gallery location

Any Forum Trades; please visit http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230651

Special Ordering Used or New Video Games

Beginning December 14th, ALL Hollywood Video stores will have the ability to place New & Used GAME Special Orders. Customers who cannot find games or accessories can place a Special Order and have it shipped from any Game Crazy/Game Zone store to their Hollywood Video for pick-up.

* Shipping Fee is $6.00 (Possibly per game if being shipped from different locations)
* Most Special Orders arrive within 7 days of ordering
* Outlet Stores do not participate in Special Orders, so YMMV on all stores.

Special Orders include:

Strategy Guides
New & Used Controllers
New & Used Games
New & Used cables, cords, and accessories
Toys & Figures

There is a list of product either on a waiting list or permanently out of stock; I may include this at a later point when I have more time. It's quite long.

Important notes (please read these before posting questions):

1) 99% of these deals will NOT work in a Game Crazy. They have their own deals; please refer to http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234882 These deals will also more than likely NOT work at a Hollywood Video with a Game Crazy attached! However, Movie Gallery may or may not have some of these same Game deals! "Movie Gallery bought Hollywood Video", hence the reason for some of the same sales at either HWV or MG.

2) Hollywood Video employees will need to scan a coupon code in order for any game to be discounted.

3) Hollywood Video's store hours vary from location to location, especially with all the store closings. Please call.

4) If you would like to contribute to any game deals, please when posting, include game, system, price, city and state.
For example:
Dragon Quest VIII, PS2, $4.99
Tampa, FL (Temple Terrace)

5) Hollywood Video's are mostly movie rental stores (games are not as important to them to keep up on), thus, always double check on sticker prices because 50% of the time they are probably stickered wrong. ;)

6) Do not trust the store locator at HollywoodVideo.com Google it and call first. That store might already be closed!

7) Hollywood Video does not do cash back if a game is damaged or you "already own it". Used games have a 90 day guarantee. You have a few options: swap for same title, swap for a different title if they do not have it, or using the disc buffer machine to try and fix the game. Hollywood Video also does disc buffing for personal items at a $1 per disc.

8) ALL sales are FINAL during the closing sale. Usually within the first few weeks of the sale if you do purchase something that does not work they MAY swap it for you. YMMV!!!

Previous HWV Thread

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235408

***I appreciate any and all comments/suggestions/adds to the OP! Either post here or even PM me if you'd like.
Thank you and I hope everyone finds some excellent deals!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gamewizardx']I myself don't have a problem flipping to make the money and how it effects the companies bottom line. The problem I see tho is taking away cheap games from someone that would enjoy playing it. I got my pre ordered Ps2 on launch day and it was broken. I took it back and was told they would have to refund my money since they only had enough to cover the rest of the pre orders. Then I watch a guy come in with 3 shopping bags of Ps2's to pick up 3 more units he had on pre order. So the store gave all 3 to him and just gave me my money. I asked they guy if I could buy one of his six and he said he is saving them to sell on E Bay only. I think from that moment I gained hate to flippers.[/QUOTE]

It sucks you got a defective unit on release day. However, in all fairness, it was unrealistic for you to expect them to A) have any extra PS2s on release day, and B) for the guy that had a few to give one up for you. The guy probably didn't know you and how is he supposed to know if you're going to play it or flip it on eBay yourself. You can't blame the guy, nor flipping on the whole for it.

When the PS2 was launched, it was at the height of release day profiteering, considering the limited supply, the ridiculous prices people were willing to pay, and the cred of ebay deals at the time. Shit, I made enough from selling 3 XBOX systems on release day to pay for the 4th I bought to keep for myself. I missed out on all of the PS2 hoopla because I was in England @ school, or I'd have been all over it. I never understand the increasing amount of bitching on this site with regards to flipping...it sounds like pure sour grapes 95% of the time.

[quote name='hellboy74']you talking about the one in Doral?

anything decent left there?

anything at the Hollywood location?[/QUOTE]

No idea. I THINK it was in the miami broward area.

I am not very familiar with the miami area. Sorry :whistle2:/

[quote name='david12795']I went there too!

I got warioware from them there. ::D

Been looking for that game for a while.[/QUOTE]

There used to be a ton of Hollywood Video stores in Palm Beach County. Now, just the one. I was shocked to see how many good games they had that qualified for the deal. I didn't want to spend too much, so I just got the major wants of the moment.

[quote name='mightymek']There used to be a ton of Hollywood Video stores in Palm Beach County. Now, just the one. I was shocked to see how many good games they had that qualified for the deal. I didn't want to spend too much, so I just got the major wants of the moment.[/QUOTE]

I know :((

there used to be one in gardens waay back in '05? and one in jupiter but i think it shut down like last year.

Headed over to the HV on taft street in hollywood florida. All signs are down and the "computer" does not ring anything up for $5. Oh well I got like 5 games from them last Sunday thanks for the heads up everyone.

The pricks in the HWV in Ann Arbor say there is no deal and tried to charge me 24.99 for Street Fighter 4 and Gears of War 2. I hope that place gets shut down.

[quote name='jkircos']The pricks in the HWV in Ann Arbor say there is no deal and tried to charge me 24.99 for Street Fighter 4 and Gears of War 2. I hope that place gets shut down.[/QUOTE]

Try the Ypsi stores I always had great luck there when I lived in the area.

[quote name='david12795']Deal is dead already? damm[/QUOTE]

As of now, definitely YMMV. From what I've read, some stores still doing it, while through personal experience I've found it to be dead. Definitely give the store a call to see if they are still running the sale.

Super_dawn found the changed date at the end of the marketing guide in small print, so yo might be able to still get it if you ask them to check it.

[quote name='mightymek']There used to be a ton of Hollywood Video stores in Palm Beach County. Now, just the one. I was shocked to see how many good games they had that qualified for the deal. I didn't want to spend too much, so I just got the major wants of the moment.[/QUOTE]

I remember when there used to be HWVs all over Palm Beach County. I used to go to them whenever I needed to rent movies for middle school and high school (instead of reading the required school books). Blockbuster never had them but Hollywood Video always did.

[quote name='david12795']Ok called my local HWV deal ends wednesday for my store. so possibly YMMW[/QUOTE]

Do you or Mightymek remember any of the good games they have left at the Wellington store? I might try to venture out there by Wed. It sucks that all my new classes start tomorrow, so I really won't have that much time.

I'm not really looking for anything in particular. Finding Resistance 2 would be awesome. I'd also buy Transformers if I could find it. I have all the game systems and I play pretty much all genres, so I'm always on the look out for cheap games.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Do you or Mightymek remember any of the good games they have left at the Wellington store? I might try to venture out there by Wed. It sucks that all my new classes start tomorrow, so I really won't have that much time.

I'm not really looking for anything in particular. Finding Resistance 2 would be awesome. I'd also buy Transformers if I could find it. I have all the game systems and I play pretty much all genres, so I'm always on the look out for cheap games.[/QUOTE]

Actually, they only have transformers revenge of the the fallen for the :360:
No ps3 games =/

[quote name='david12795']Actually, they only have transformers revenge of the the fallen for the :360:
No ps3 games =/[/QUOTE]

If that HWV were by me that TF:ROTF for 360 would've been gone to GS before the end of business today, since it's worth another $20 in credit there.:D

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If that HWV were by me that TF:ROTF for 360 would've been gone to GS before the end of business today, since it's worth another $20 in credit there.:D[/QUOTE]

Already got myself a copy. Too much to drive around if i get more than one and trade it in ;).

You actually bought games from this sale to KEEP? I initially was hitting this sale for stuff to keep, but then after trying the few for the PS3 I picked up(Fallout 3, Resistance 2)again I decided I'd much rather trade them.

I also just hit the other HWV around here again last week and picked up the three copies of MC:LA they had sitting there since the sale started. So before anyone gripes that I took games outta the hands of people who would've bought them to play them, they had more than ample time.

Now I just gotta figure out what to buy to try and resell with my $276 in GS credit.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You actually bought games from this sale to KEEP? I initially was hitting this sale for stuff to keep, but then after trying the few for the PS3 I picked up(Fallout 3, Resistance 2)again I decided I'd much rather trade them.

I also just hit the other HWV around here again last week and picked up the three copies of MC:LA they had sitting there since the sale started. So before anyone gripes that I took games outta the hands of people who would've bought them to play them, they had more than ample time.

Now I just gotta figure out what to buy to try and resell with my $276 in GS credit.[/QUOTE]

Wait, was that sarcasm intended towards me ? or everyone in general? lol
well i kept some of them. I mean cmon it's 5 dollars :D.
although i didn't find ANY ps3 games that i wanted to keep like

MC: LA
MK vs. DC (wanted this one the most)
COD4 (wanna try out COD for the first time)
R2 - Ehh makes my collection look big.
GTA 4
LBP- Is this even qualified for the sale?

[quote name='david12795']Actually, they only have transformers revenge of the the fallen for the :360:
No ps3 games =/[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Revenge of the fallen for the 360 is exactly what I want. I had a feeling that this store had some good stuff, but I didn't feel like driving out there during the holidays. I enjoyed this christmas break because I was actually able to play a bunch of my games for once, lol.

[quote name='david12795']Wait, was that sarcasm intended towards me ? or everyone in general? lol
well i kept some of them. I mean cmon it's 5 dollars :D.
although i didn't find ANY ps3 games that i wanted to keep like

MC: LA
MK vs. DC (wanted this one the most)
COD4 (wanna try out COD for the first time)
R2 - Ehh makes my collection look big.
GTA 4
LBP- Is this even qualified for the sale?[/QUOTE]

I went there when this sale started and they had 3 copies of MC: LA. There weren't any left? I didn't buy one because I already bought myself a 360 copy during the black friday sale.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Thanks. Revenge of the fallen for the 360 is exactly what I want. I had a feeling that this store had some good stuff, but I didn't feel like driving out there during the holidays. I enjoyed this christmas break because I was actually able to play a bunch of my games for once, lol.[/QUOTE]

HAD. But there is still one copy of TF: ROTF for :360 ;)

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']I went there when this sale started and they had 3 copies of MC: LA. There weren't any left? I didn't buy one because I already bought myself a 360 copy during the black friday sale.[/QUOTE]

Nope. they practically had NOTHING for the ps3.

First time poster, but I thought I might let those in the Philadelphia area know that the two that I went to (Washington Ave and Olney) didn't have any games for the ps3/360 except for the random sports game. However, they were still doing the sale and had A LOT of ps2 and xbox games. I apologize if someone has already said this.

Guess I'll have to wait for the next sale and hope I can find a game I want :(

[quote name='david12795']HAD. But there is still one copy of TF: ROTF for :360 ;)[/QUOTE]

don't remind me dammit! lol:lol:

I've only bought a couple Ps3 and Wii Games at HWV. They don't seem to have much. I'm always really happy to get whatever I can though. You can't beat $5. You can buy a game, finish it 6 months later and still probably get like $5 worth of store credit at GS (unless it's a sports game).

[quote name='Gbear09']As of now, definitely YMMV. From what I've read, some stores still doing it, while through personal experience I've found it to be dead. Definitely give the store a call to see if they are still running the sale.

Super_dawn found the changed date at the end of the marketing guide in small print, so yo might be able to still get it if you ask them to check it.[/QUOTE]

Cool. yea its in small print. I thought it might be wide spread but yea it seems to be ymmv now on the ending date. I already updated the op yesterday on that.

I found a Game Cube Pikmin 2 today (disc only) for 4.99! Still waiting on another shipment of used games from a closed store. It was supposed to be last week but never arrived. Now its supposed to be tommorrow. Too bad GS $20 deals are over but oh well. Still looking forward to good stuff at 4.99. Hopefully they arrive before the sale ends.

I traded the Transformers RotF game I picked up a few days ago after beating both campaigns and even trying out the multiplayer a bit last night. It was fun and definitely worth the $5, especially given that GS gave me $20.80 for it ;). And let me tell you, they needed it - they have next to no used games there (and didn't have any of this one).

Otherwise I think I'm pretty much done with this sale. The stores here are pretty barren.

It's sad that the HWV with two cool employees that held 5 games for 2 days for me was LOCKED OUT because corporate didn't pay rent. It was reported in the local news :( I hope they'll be able to find jobs soon.

updated op with upcoming used game deal...which apparently some are already doing. My store is still on the 4.99 till the 13th though, so I will go with that.

I wish one of my local HWV stores had a used copy of Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone for the original Xbox, as I have the coverart and manual for it from when a GS employee tried finding the game for me but realized they had the case/manual/artwork but not the friggin' disc.:roll:

I really enjoy the hack n slash variety of RPG games, so that one supposedly fits the bill perfectly.

My copy of Resident Evil 5 comes back as unreadable, would I have any luck going to a Hollywood video with a gamecrazy and swapping them out for a used copy or am I screwed and need to return it? I ask b/c I bought this from a location that is an hour away from me, and it's not worth that sort of drive for 5 bucks. I've had it buffed 3 times now.

[quote name='ploppsdman']My copy of Resident Evil 5 comes back as unreadable, would I have any luck going to a Hollywood video with a gamecrazy and swapping them out for a used copy or am I screwed and need to return it? I ask b/c I bought this from a location that is an hour away from me, and it's not worth that sort of drive for 5 bucks. I've had it buffed 3 times now.[/QUOTE]

my HWV reminded me to not loose my recipt in case of errors, so that should work. call em.

[quote name='DiRT_X']my HWV reminded me to not loose my recipt in case of errors, so that should work. call em.[/QUOTE]

You're saying I may have luck going to a different hwv with a game crazy? I went to a different stand alone, and they told me they couldnt do anything ... even give me a refund, they said no.

[quote name='ploppsdman']You're saying I may have luck going to a different hwv with a game crazy? I went to a different stand alone, and they told me they couldnt do anything ... even give me a refund, they said no.[/QUOTE]

I've also had this issue where they gave me the wrong disc, the first game instead of the sequel, and I couldn't get anyone to correct the matter including the original store that was 20 miles away. I called the DM and left a voicemail and never got a response. It's reasons like this that I absolutely hate HWV and I am happy to see them floundering.

[quote name='DiRT_X']my HWV reminded me to not loose my recipt in case of errors, so that should work. call em.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of errors, follow the great math on this one. I had one HWV charge me the regular price for a game (12.99). I bought too many games to notice the $8 difference when they rang me up. And because they have that crappy POS that makes the scan the bar code for each game, it was certainly an understandable mistake. These things happen.

I brought the game and receipt back 2 days later but they were locked out. Shockingly they reopened the next day so I brought the receipt and game back again. They refunded me 4.99 instead of $8. I foolishly assumed that they would get it right this time so I didn't check my receipt until after I left. The point is, pay close attention to your receipts especially if you're buying a bunch of games at once.

[quote name='ploppsdman']You're saying I may have luck going to a different hwv with a game crazy? I went to a different stand alone, and they told me they couldnt do anything ... even give me a refund, they said no.[/QUOTE]

No...they aren't like GS. One store will not fix a problem from another store, ie wrong disk, broken disk, returns, etc. at least in my experience.

[quote name='mogamer']The $4.99 deal is gone at my local HWV (Royal Oak, MI). It was replaced with a B1G1 deal.[/QUOTE]

$4.99 Sale is over at the Garden City, MI store as well. Replaced by B1G1.

[quote name='ploppsdman']My copy of Resident Evil 5 comes back as unreadable, would I have any luck going to a Hollywood video with a gamecrazy and swapping them out for a used copy or am I screwed and need to return it? I ask b/c I bought this from a location that is an hour away from me, and it's not worth that sort of drive for 5 bucks. I've had it buffed 3 times now.[/QUOTE]

ANY store will swap out/buff disc if you still have the receipt. It's a 90 day guarantee on games .. I don't even think GC should have an issue with this either.

[quote name='Toss']No...they aren't like GS. One store will not fix a problem from another store, ie wrong disk, broken disk, returns, etc. at least in my experience.[/QUOTE]

Sorry...wrong. We always handle issues from other stores, especially now with the closing of locations. Sometimes people will buy product when they are just on vacation and ask if somethings wrong can they get it fixed at another location...absolutely! Just hold onto the receipt...I always stick mine inside one of the disc cases...and we can either buff it or exchange it. We try to exchange it for the exact same item if we have copies, but otherwise we'll exchange it for something the same price. The only rule we follow is NO cash back....

Thanks for the reply super_dawn, and I can back that up, as I called game crazy and while they dont have a copy in, she said she'll call when she does. A shipment is coming in tomorrow and thursday, so I'll check back on Thursday in case they forget.

Went back again today cause i was in the area, Grabbed Saints Row, and some RTS called Universe at War. They said that the sale technally ends Wednesday, but they are gonna run to at least thursday. Brunswick, GA

p.s. someone tell me if Universe at War is good? tossed it the backlog pile. Had a look through the manual.

[quote name='super_dawn']

Sorry...wrong. We always handle issues from other stores, especially now with the closing of locations. Sometimes people will buy product when they are just on vacation and ask if somethings wrong can they get it fixed at another location...absolutely! Just hold onto the receipt...I always stick mine inside one of the disc cases...and we can either buff it or exchange it. We try to exchange it for the exact same item if we have copies, but otherwise we'll exchange it for something the same price. The only rule we follow is NO cash back....[/QUOTE]

OOPS! That's good to know. I've been told by the store a mile from my house that all stores are independent and that they could not replace a cracked disc from another store. I had to drive about 40 miles away to get one that worked. I had gone to the store on the way home from a family trip.

[quote name='Toss']OOPS! That's good to know. I've been told by the store a mile from my house that all stores are independent and that they could not replace a cracked disc from another store. I had to drive about 40 miles away to get one that worked. I had gone to the store on the way home from a family trip.[/QUOTE]

YMMV with HWV/GC. I've had a GC store employee tell me there was nothing they could do to help me with an issue I had with a game from another GC and I had to go back to the original store. That was a few years ago, though. But ever since it has put me off of buying stuff there unless it is a deal that is too good to pass up - especially when you compare it to GS's 7 days no questions asked returns on used games (ie, doesn't even have to be "wrong" or "defective"). I've also had no problem whatsoever returning defective used games to GS after 7 days - even to different stores.

RIP $5 deal, you will be missed - hopefully another one will roll around in the Spring/Summer when they have some more games in stock.

[quote name='io']

RIP $5 deal, you will be missed - hopefully another one will roll around in the Spring/Summer when they have some more games in stock.[/QUOTE]

That's if they don't totally shut down.

[quote name='david12795']That's if they don't totally shut down.[/QUOTE]

well, yeah, that kind of goes without saying ;).

But we'll see - we've been hearing about the demise of Blockbuster ever since I started on this site - and it's been 5+ years now. It does seem that HWV is closer to the edge though than BBV ever was (or is now).

[quote name='io']YMMV with HWV/GC. I've had a GC store employee tell me there was nothing they could do to help me with an issue I had with a game from another GC and I had to go back to the original store. That was a few years ago, though. But ever since it has put me off of buying stuff there unless it is a deal that is too good to pass up - especially when you compare it to GS's 7 days no questions asked returns on used games (ie, doesn't even have to be "wrong" or "defective"). I've also had no problem whatsoever returning defective used games to GS after 7 days - even to different stores.

RIP $5 deal, you will be missed - hopefully another one will roll around in the Spring/Summer when they have some more games in stock.[/QUOTE]

That's the one thing that irks the shit out of me about HWV and Blockbuster. Unless the game(s) you're buying are defective, there are NO REFUNDS at all. Even if the item is defective, you don't get a refund in the same form of payment used.

They give you crappy store credit back, which means they have your money and have you by the balls once you've bought something from them. Other than that policy, I like HWV and Blockbuster for used games, since the employees are usually willing to go out of their way to help you find a complete copy many times.

One of the HWVs near me (Woodland Hills, CA) closed. :( I wish I could still go there and clean them out or something.

So I went to the other location near me to see if they got the leftover stock from the one that closed, and nothing. The other one still hasn't price dropped GI Joe, X-Blades, and a couple other old games. Still marked 34.99. :(

I got some last minute pick ups before the sale ended because I'm scared that store will close too.

Again, thanks a bunch to everyone for all the info throughout the weeks, it's been crazy.

[quote name='yamayama']One of the HWVs near me (Woodland Hills, CA) closed. :( I wish I could still go there and clean them out or something.

So I went to the other location near me to see if they got the leftover stock from the one that closed, and nothing. The other one still hasn't price dropped GI Joe, X-Blades, and a couple other old games. Still marked 34.99. :(

I got some last minute pick ups before the sale ended because I'm scared that store will close too.

Again, thanks a bunch to everyone for all the info throughout the weeks, it's been crazy.[/QUOTE]

I sure hope you had them scan those games for the real price...

bread's done
Back